Young Writers Society

Deliverance: Prologue

113 Reviews

Reviews: 113
Sat Mar 28, 2009 11:34 pm
View Likes
emmylou1995 says...

Deliverance

Lilian lay on the soft, white bed, holding her newborn daughter, Elexandra. The room around Lilian was simple and white. There sat a plush chair in the corner of the room, a bright white with a single red pillow in it. The round rug on the floor displayed scenes of an ancient battle. It was a high-class room in the pregnancy ward of the crumbling hospital. Lilian stroked the bundle of white that lay in her arms. The little pink cheeks of her newborn daughter felt smooth as butterfly wings. Her tiny index finger curled around Lilian's thumb. Lilian could feel Elexandra’s feet kicking inside the blankets that covered her. Lilian stroked the coal-black locks that had already begun to grow on her daughter’s head. Lilian smiled weakly, the operation taken place only the morning before.
To the left of the bed was a window, the blue curtains pulled back to reveal the city beyond. Lilian glanced out the window at the expanse of rusted buildings. She sighed heavily as her eyes fell on the once blue sky, now a strange reddish brown color. The sky seemed to be stained, no clouds were in sight and trees were all but extinct. The air was still clean though, for the daemons breath out oxygen and breath in carbon dioxide.
The Earth was slowly disintegrating, and the human race had become endangered.
A piece of Lilian's caramel colored hair fell into her eyes. She pushed it behind her ear gently. She thought about her husband, lost somewhere in the world. Lilian refused to believe what people told her, she refused to believe he was dead. She missed him so dearly. Lilian wanted him to see their child, to meet their little Elexandra. But he likely never would.
Elexandra's bright ice-blue, speckled silver eyes looked up into Lilian's face with a look of happiness, appreciation and contentment. Lilian's eyes filled with tears at the thought of her daughters future. Lilian knew her little Elexandra would grow up in a harsh and dying world that was being run to ruins by the daemons.
“I'll keep you safe.” She stroked Elexandra's face softly, speaking quietly. “Forever and always. No demon will ever hurt you.”
A sudden gut-wrenching impact to the building shook Lilian's thoughts. A white lamp fell off of a table beside the large bed. A few chunks of plaster fell from the ceiling onto the shiny floor. Lilian held her baby girl tight and stood, still weak from the birth. She staggered to the heavy iron door as the building shuddered around her and threatened to crumble to the ground, seven flights below. Lilian opened the heavy iron door with difficulty. When the door stood ajar Lilian stepped out, careful not to fall to the cold ground due to the buildings violent shaking.
Dying red and white lights flickered on and off in the dark hallway. The iron walls around Lilian groaned and threatened to break from the constant tremors. As Lilian down a horrendous sight met her eyes. Bodies of men and women littered the hallway floor. Lilian gasped in terror. One young woman’s eyes stared straight at Lilian, still begging for mercy. The woman’s brown hair was sweaty, plastered to her pale forehead. It had been Lilian's nurse, one of the women that had helped deliver Lilian's baby the day before.
But she was dead and there was nothing Lilian could do. Lilian realized there was no blood on the bodies. No blood means...
“Daemons,” Lilian whispered.
Lilian glanced to her left and felt her blood freeze in fear. Standing among the bodies of the dead men and women stood the most beautiful creature on earth, a daemon.
His pale face glowed, set between his straight and perfect hairline that sat in a perfect ponytail. His hair was a bright golden blond, his face was perfectly symmetrical, and his eyes were a dark green with golden specks misting within. His hideous but beautiful lips curled up into a chilling, perfect smile. He planted his eyes on Lilian. Then he caught sight of the bundle in her arms. Elexandra began to cry, feeling the daemons eyes on her. It was all he needed. He started forward. With his hand raised, Lilian could see a crackling light of green energy swirling in his palm. Laughing, he shot a ball of energy at Lilian.
As it hit her Elexandra slipped from her grasp. The baby cried harder as she hit the ground, covered in pink blankets, no longer in her mothers arms. Lilian scooped her daughter back up in pain and ran back into the room, slamming the door, gasping from agony. The acidic burn on her side spread profoundly fast. Her arms began to scream in pain, along with her hands and feet.
Lilian lay on the bed holding her baby as she started to slip into unconsciousness.
“I love you, Elexandra. I will always be with you. I will never leave you,” Lilian gasped as she stroked Elexandra's head. The baby still cried. Lilian hugged Elexandra close and tight, kissed her on the forehead. Lilian's pain increased rapidly as the burning daemon energy, deadly as acid, traveled deeper into her body. Lilian's skin looked bright and healthy and yet she died on the inside. The daemons energy penetrated the bones of its victim, causing them to disintegrate inside the victim’s body at an amazing speed.
Lilian sang her very first and very last lullaby to her baby daughter, her voice high-pitched from the pain. Elexandra stopped crying and listened to her mother’s voice, for it soothed her.
The heavy iron door crashed to the ground, sending tremors through the white room. The daemon stood in the doorway, his eyes glowering at Lilian. She never stopped singing to her newborn daughter as the demon strode forward, a smile plastered on his face.
Last edited by emmylou1995 on Tue Oct 11, 2011 1:04 pm, edited 7 times in total.

7 Reviews

Reviews: 7
Sun Mar 29, 2009 5:20 am
valiant says...

DUN DUN DUN! Sorry, it just seemed appropriate. Very dramatic ending... we don't necessarily know what that demon's going to do, but whatever it is, it can't be good. It's a very effective beginning.

Your diction is simple and moves rather quickly, which is appropriate considering that this is an introductory segment, but at times it is a bit too straightforward. For example, in the first paragraph: "Her child had no father. Her baby girl would have to live in a world run by demons." You're giving us the entire setting of this world of yours in a single sentence... it almost works, but a bit more description devoted to the fate of the child's father and especially the demonic world they're living in might make it work a little better.

Your descriptions are nice, but you tend to go into fragments when you start getting into more intense description. It's OK when it's used in the right places (generally for extra impact), but at times your sentence structure just got choppy. (Don't worry, I misuse fragments all the time myself.) For example, when the demon makes his entrance: "His white face glowed, set between his straight, perfect hairline, in a perfect ponytail. His hair a golden blond. His face exactly symmetrical. His eyes a dark scarlet, with golden specks misting within."
It would just read a bit more smoothly either as separate complete sentences ("His hair was a golden blonde. His face was exactly symmetrical.") or combined into one ("His hair was a golden blond, face exactly symmetrical, eyes a dark scarlet with golden specks misting within.") Despite my being tripped up a bit by the sentence structure at this part, your descriptions of the demon are wonderful, and give a clear, disturbing picture of the character without getting out of control and info-dumping.

Mostly I think you need to watch how you use fragments a bit more carefully, and avoid being too straightforward or taking shortcuts in your setups. Keep your descriptions, lose some of your bluntness. Overall I liked this, and would definitely enjoy reading more.

113 Reviews

Sun Mar 29, 2009 7:46 pm
emmylou1995 says...

Thanks for the help. My dad says the same thing about the fragments. I'll work on it.
When all you have is nothing, there is alot to go around.

Random avatar

Reviews: 27
Tue Mar 31, 2009 2:21 am
Saphirra says...

Lilian's eyes filled with crystalline tears. Her child had no father. Her baby girl would have to live in a world run by demons.

If I were you, I would change this to:
Lillian's eyes filled with tears at the thought of her daughters future. She would never meet her father, and she would suffer in this world, run to ruins by demons.
Something like that. Also, I think you should try to explain more about this world of hers. Try describing the baby girl to us through the mothers eyes. For example,
'Lillian took in her beautiful daughters healthy skin, glowing with happiness. Smiling in response, Lillian stroked her newborn child's blond (or brown or black) locks, which were already growing in soft waves.'

She held her baby girl close and stood, weak from the birth, taken place only the night before.
The wording of this sentence is a little awkward. If you just say that she held her baby close and stood weakly, that would be enough, especially if you add somewhere else that the baby was born the day before.

Men ran past, down the right side of the hallway. Screaming for their lives.
These are two fragments. instead of putting a period in the midde and making two sentences, it would work better if you replaced it with a comma and made the 'S' lowercase.

Lilian glanced left and froze. Her blood turning to ice.

Its the same situation with these sentences. You don't even need to change the wording, instead just putting in a comma rather than a period to make the sentence flow. I like how the next sentence of your is very dramatic, making something that she obviously fears so beautiful.

He planted his eyes on Lilian's, searching for something in her mind. The baby girl screamed for just a moment. It was all he needed. He started forward. His hand raised, a blue light of energy swirling in his palm. Laughing, he shot a bolt of energy at Lilian.

'His eyes met Lillian's' flows better. Can the demon read minds? If I were you, I would make the next sentences: The baby girl screamed for a moment before Lillian hushed her. That moment was enough. The demon laughed and moved forward, a blue orb of energy swirling in his palm. He laughed as he shot the bolt of energy at Lillian.

I love your ending. Its really dramatic. In fact, I liked the whole story so far. Anyway, feel free to completely disregard everything I just said if you disagree. And if you ever need to review something, feel free to look up one of my stories, either Hidden Evil or Shattered Mirrors. :D
“Only as high as I reach can I grow, only as far as I seek can I go, only as deep as I look can I see, only as much as I dream can I be.”

194 Reviews

Reviews: 194
Tue Mar 31, 2009 4:29 am
Sela Locke says...

Your dad reads your stories? That's cool. Mine'd have to rip my Mac from my hands to read any of my stuff -- not that he would. xD

Er, anyways, since the fragments are already pointed out, let me just say my piece.

I think this is, well... it has a lot of potential. I think you should dramatize it, because right now it's kind of flat. I'm not entirely sure how to explain it, because this story was good... and I'm tired, so that might be part of it. Like Valiant said, straightforwardness is sometimes good and sometimes bad; here, you need to be vague, you need to make the reader ask questions - what is this woman talking about? Why does the demon so immediately kill her? And why do we need to know so early on that he's a demon, that her daughter has no father? I think I'd like it much better if I was left to wonder these things myself. As opposed to saying he was a demon, call him a man, until we find out otherwise. Make us wish we knew why his eyes were red-and-gold, how he managed to kill her with a 'bolt of energy,' and however he manages to make one in the first place.

When I make prologues/introductions to stories, I try my best to have them confusing, intriguing, exciting. Those three things, I think, are what your story lack. If you incorporate them a little bit more, this would be even better than it is now.

Sorry if I wasn't much help. My ickle brain ish fuzzy. If you have any questions, don't hesitate to drop me a PM! ^_^

Good luck, 'hon!

-SELA
Well, I can't eat muffins in an agitated manner. The butter would probably get on my cuffs. One should always eat muffins quite calmly. It is the only way to eat them.

--Algernon, The Importance of Being Earnest

113 Reviews

Tue Mar 31, 2009 7:47 pm
emmylou1995 says...

Thanks everyone! I want to ask you, can I use some of the sentances you gave me? They're good. I was not sure if you guys would call that stealing your words or not. If not i will just write my own sentances.

Random avatar

Reviews: 3
Fri Apr 03, 2009 4:13 pm
emilygale says...

Hi, very interesting, i would like to see where you take this as you definitely have a good story there. There is plenty of interest and things to keep people reading on, you lave us asking questions, like why did he kill Lillian? who is he? who are demons? what do they want? you get the gist :), but yeah I'd like to read on, i think though it just needs a little more description and bulking out if you get what i mean, nothing major, you just need to move a little slower and use more descriptive words at time. but like i said, i like it xxxx
Drench yourself in words unspoken
Live your life with arms wide open
Today is where your book begins
The rest is still unwritten

1176 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 1176
Fri Apr 03, 2009 5:08 pm
Twit says...

Hi!

This was quite cool and dramatic. :D However, I did notice a few things, mainly about the baby. You say twice that it's just been born, but it doesn't act like it's been born. If it's a special baby (your world does have demons, after all) it should still act and behave as a normal baby should.

The baby girl looked into Lilian's face and laughed, happy and content.

Babies don't even smile until they're a few weeks old, so a newborn laughing is silly.

The child, screaming from fear and knowing what would happen in a moment, stopped crying and listened to her mothers song to forever remember it.

... Uh? Even if this is a supersuperdupersuper special baby, don't give it this much intelligence, otherwise the story'll be just plain boring. Sorry. :mrgreen:

Saphirra mentioned hair, but not all babies have hair at this stage, and even then it's usually odd wisps. Babies don't really get defining features until they're quite a bit older.

---

Yeah, so this was basically all about babies. But hey. Babies are cool. :)
"TV makes sense. It has logic, structure, rules, and likeable leading men. In life, we have this."

#TNT

287 Reviews

Reviews: 287
Thu Apr 16, 2009 9:56 pm
Moriah Leila says...

Okay, so I'll get the little nitpicky stuff out of the way first. Then I'll cover stuff like character development, description of the setting, and my overall opinion on the piece. Shall we?

The baby girl looked into Lilian's face and laughed, happy and content. Lilian's eyes filled with crystalline tears. Her child had no father.

First of all, a newborn baby cannot laugh. Typically babies do not have the ability to laugh until they are 4-6 months old. Newborn babies do very little besides sleep, cry, sleep, eat, sleep, poop, and did I mention sleep? Trust me, I have experience in this department. Also, why does the baby have no father? I'd like for you to expand on this. What is the baby's name? I don't think you mention the child's name once in this piece.

A sudden impact to the building shook Lilian's thoughts. She held her baby girl close and stood, weak from the birth, taken place only the night before. She stumbled to the heavy iron door and opened it slightly.

What time period is this set in? If it is present time why is she in a place with iron doors? That kind of reminds me of a prison or a government compound, certainly nothing appropriate for having a baby.

Men ran past, down the right side of the hallway. Screaming for their lives.

I think these two sentences should be one, although I do think screaming for their lives is rather overplayed (translation: cliched).

Standing among the fleeing men and women stood the most beautiful creature on earth, a demon.

I like that you have made the demon a beutiful creature, albeit frightening, it is a nice reprieve from the overused horns, red skin tone, and pitchfork. Very creative.

His white face glowed, set between his straight, perfect hairline, in a perfect ponytail. His hair a golden blond. His face exactly symmetrical. His eyes a dark scarlet, with golden specks misting within. His hideous and beautiful lips curled up into a chilling, perfect smile. He planted his eyes on Lilian's, searching for something in her mind. The baby girl screamed for just a moment. It was all he needed. He started forward. His hand raised, a blue light of energy swirling in his palm. Laughing, he shot a bolt of energy at Lilian.

Love this description!! SO vivid, and not too telling, you mixed it with enough action so that it didn't interfere with your flow. Very well written, I'm seriously impressed.

As it hit her she loosened her hold on her child.

To me, if she loosened her hold on the baby wouldn't she drop the baby? And I can't remember if the baby is a boy or a girl which poses a problem to me.

The child, screaming from fear and knowing what would happen in a moment, stopped crying and listened to her mother's song to forever remember it.

How does the baby know what is about to happen? The readers don't even know what is about to happen. I mean, we have a pretty good idea, but all the same. Why don't you have the baby stop crying because she is soothed by her mother's voice? Also, I've noticed that in several places you are missing apostrophes. If you need help with this check out this article. It has helped me out a lot.

The door crashed down, the demon standing in the doorway. His eyes glowered at Lilian. She never stopped singing to her baby girl as the demon strode forward, a smile plastered on his face.

I love the ending, it is the epitome of a fabulous cliffhanger!! It is just so suspenseful and definitely gets your reader wanting more. I love it.

Characters: Okay, so I think you did a great job with the demon, but I felt that the other characters fell flat. I mean, the baby doesn't have a name, I'm not sure if the baby is a girl or a boy, and I definitely can't connect with Lillian. I know nothing about her! I mean other than she just had a baby, we know nothing about Lillian. What does she look like? How old is she? Where is the father? WHy is she in that strange building? Why is the demon after her? We need a backstory for Lillian, a little more information, so that we can connect with her. We need to know why her death is significant, otherwise your audience is just going to be like, "Meh, another fictionous character is dead, doesn't affect my life." And that is not good, you want your characters to affect people's lives. For instance, I was reading a trashy romance novel the other day. Kate Donovan was torn over whether or not she should hook up with Mitchell Wyatt. Of course in the end they do hook up, but I couldn't finish reading the story because I had to go to the grocery store. I kid you not, the whole time I'm trying to decide over 2% or whole milk all I can think about is what is going to happen to Kate Donovan next. That's what you want.

Setting: Again I think this lacked substance. You mentioned flashing lights, a bed, and a big iron door. Other than that I had to come up with what this place looked like. So I imagined this poor woman in some primative government compound, a dank and dreary place to have your first child. YOu need to supply some more information for your readers so that they feel like they are standing next to your characters, experiencing this. When you describe a place, try to approach it using all five senses. What does it sound like? What does it smell like? What temperature is it there? What texture are the walls and floors and bedding? What does it taste like? (Okay, that one is hard, I still haven't figured out how to use that one.) Just try to describe things other than just using sight, that way things feel more realistic, they have more dimension.

Overall: I think it is really good, seriously. Your flow is good, there are parts where there's a minor speed bump, but the story transitions very well. The plot line seems interesting, and I am curious to see what happens next. All I can really "complain" about is the setting and the characters, but these are easily remedied, so you really don't have a problem. I also really like the length of this piece, it makes it soo easy for people to critique, which is nice. I'm excited to read more of this, so if you post any more, definitely PM me or you can post it in my review forum. Thanks for letting me tear this to shreds, I hope I wasn't too brutal.
I am not addicted to reading, I can quit as soon as I finish one more chapter.

113 Reviews

Fri Jun 05, 2009 12:37 am
emmylou1995 says...

thanks everyone. You all helped me soo much. I will try to fix up the nitpicks.thanks!

113 Reviews

Sat Oct 10, 2009 2:36 am
emmylou1995 says...

I fixed up some of the nitpicks! I hope it is better!

Never put off until tomorrow what you can do the day after tomorrow.
— Mark Twain