z

Young Writers Society

Unmask.

Random avatar

Reviews: 7
Tue Mar 03, 2009 8:59 am
threm. says...

[Dreamy Manifestations]

I was your average girl, living. I had a family. A mother, a father, siblings, I was the youngest. But they took it away from me.

“Who are they mama?” I asked her in my six-year old voice, she did not answer. Tears just kept on falling from her eyes. Back then I can’t even understand what was happening.

There stood, a man in black shirt and pants, he was plain. He was plain before I saw the fire from his eyes. He was plain before I saw the fire from his hands. He was plain before I saw how he killed my family, looking them straight in the eye, holding them tight. BURNING THEM. And I sat there, just sat there. Hearing the screams, the pleas, the cries of my family and doing nothing to stop the agony. I sat there, hearing the bitter chuckle of the man who killed them. I was afraid to look at him, I was afraid of him. And I still am.

“Now, kill the girl” the man said, I trembled. Then, I saw someone standing in front of me. He was about my age, six? , I can’t see him clearly. Besides the fact that fire was everywhere, my vision was cloudy because of the tears, tears of fear. The little boy held my wrist, I felt a burning sensation, and I looked at him, and knew what was going to happen. The last thing I heard was when he whispered.

“Sorry” in a tone so soft only us: he and I would hear.

Then everything went black.

CHAPTER 1
[Cold Summer]

I opened my eyes. I was panting. My throat was so dry with all the screams in my dream.

A DREAM! I thought. It was all a dream.

I hope it really was just a dream. But unfortunately, it did happen. I did lose so much. I happen to be the little girl that was terrified, killed, and lived again.

I was in a coma for five months and when I woke up, the two things I remembered were my name and the day five months before. It was all a blur to me, how I woke up again, because as far as I am concern, I died. Someone killed me, that boy killed me. How would I live if my heart stopped? How would I live if right there that little boy KILLED ME? Answer.

I am now sixteen. I am a sophomore and living here in Salem, New Jersey. Hazel-colored eyes, long dyed black hair, very, very pale skin, and 5’8 in height, that’s pretty much what I could say about myself.

Also, the couple who had found me inside the house had adopted me. Their names are Brianna and Harold Sparks. Brianna has strawberry blond hair in a bob, icy blue eyes and ivory skin. While Harold, or Dad, has brown hair, brown eyes and tan skin. He is also built but not bulky. They are actually just like siblings to me, she is 31 and he is 33.

“SUMMER!”

“Yes mom, I am very much aware that I am late now.”

“Good.” Was all she said, funny? Well no. Even though she acts mother-like, she still sound like an older sister.

“I’m going Mom”

“Okay” She shouted from the kitchen which is by the way three rooms away from where I am. (Just so you know)

I walked towards school, don’t pity me, I don’t do this because I have to, it’s because I want to. I needed to think. I needed to process the images that went vivid in my dreams. It had been hunting me for ten years now.

My recalls were suddenly interrupted by someone who was plain stupid not to know where to go.

“You know, there’s a thing called ‘Sorry’.” I said this complete with the air quotes.

“It’s not nice of me to not say that word but I’ve been saving that word for one person only. I hope you understand.” He said in his most calm voice. Okay, so why did I know he was calm? He could have killed me, then and there.

“Look, mister-not-nice-of-me-to-not-say-sorry you are so goin—“

I simply could not finish my statement because he suddenly wrapped his arms around me. His grip was so cold it burnt to the touch.

I was in a state of shock. All my brain cells are dying one by one. My heart is skipping beats. It feels like I know this guy from somewhere, I’m feeling he was or is a part of me. I just can’t remember.

“You will understand” then he walked away.

I stood there, taken aback. Who wouldn’t? Being hugged by a guy you don’t know, who wouldn’t be freaked out?

Surprisingly, I kind of, felt like, uhm, know him.

Just tell anything that you see wrong or something you like.

HELP!

-threm.:)

[JMod Edit: Watch the caps in the title]
"Don't judge me based on my works, so I won't judge you based on yours"

106 Reviews

Reviews: 106
Tue Mar 03, 2009 1:39 pm
Flux says...

Hey! I'm La Reina, and I'll be reviewing your prologue today. (Don't have enough time to do chapter one, sorry!)

[Dreamy Manifestations]

I was your average girl[s], living.[/s][The whole 'living' part doesn't really fit.] I had a family: A mother, a father, and siblings[s],[/s]. I was the youngest. But they took it away from me.

“Who are they mama?” I asked her in my six-year old voice. She did not answer. Tears just kept on falling from her eyes. Back then I [s]can’t[/s] couldn't even understand what was happening.

There stood[s],[/s] a man in black shirt and pants[s],[/s]. He was plain. He was plain before I saw the fire from his eyes. He was plain before I saw the fire from his hands. He was plain before I saw how he killed my family, looking them straight in the eye, holding them tight. BURNING THEM. And I sat there[s],[/s] ... just sat there. Hearing the screams, the pleas, the cries of my family and doing nothing to stop the agony. I sat there, hearing the bitter chuckle of the man who killed them. I was afraid to look at him, I was afraid of him. And I still am.

“Now, kill the girl” the man said[s],[/s]. I trembled. Then, I saw someone standing in front of me. He was about my age.[s], six? ,[/s] I [s]can’t[/s] couldn't see him clearly. Besides the fact that fire was everywhere, my vision was cloudy because of the tears, tears of fear. The little boy held my wrist[s],[/s]. I felt a burning sensation, and I looked at him, and knew what was going to happen. The last thing I heard was when he whispered.

“Sorry” in a tone so soft only us[s]:[/s], he and I, would hear.

Then everything went black.

OVERALL IMPRESSIONS~

I'd definitely like to keep an eye on this one. I like how you left us hanging. Who's the man with the flaming hands? Why did he kill her family? Why did the boy save her? What's wrong with the girl? I like that. It leaves the reader wanting more.

Now, I didn't pick up an spelling mistakes but you had a lot of gramatical errors. You use the commas too much. I adjusted that, as you could tell. If you have Word Perfect, you can usually use spell check and a grammar check, too.

Hope that helps!
"Man is least himself when he talks in his own person.

Give him a mask and he will tell you the truth."

-- Oscar Wilde

75 Reviews

Reviews: 75
Tue Mar 03, 2009 2:35 pm
tori1234 says...

A mother, a father, siblings, I was the youngest.

That sentence sounds a little choppy to me, how about rewording it? Something like this, "A mother, a father, and siblings, and I was the youngest.

“Who are they mama?” I asked her in my six-year old voice,[but] she did not answer.

Back then I can't even understand what was happening.

Keep it past tense, the rest of your story mainly is, (change can't to couldn't)

And I sat there, just sat there.

I say you reword it to, "And I just sat there." The first version sounds a little too repetitive.

“Now, kill the girl” the man said

Rewording it to "Kill the girl, NOW!" makes the man sound more scary, it would give the girl even more reason to tremble.

“Sorry” in a tone so soft only [s]us:[/s] he and I would hear.

I am now sixteen. I am a sophomore and living here in Salem, New Jersey. Hazel-colored eyes, long dyed black hair, very, very pale skin, and 5’8 in height, that’s pretty much what I could say about myself.

Be careful, you're getting very close to an info dump. (P.S. some people would call that an info dump)

Their names are Brianna and Harold Sparks.

Love the names!

They are [s]actually[/s] just like siblings to me, she is 31 and he is 33.

I needed to process the images that went vividly in my dreams.

It had been [s]hunting [/s]me for ten years now.

I think you probably meant "haunting"

My recalls were suddenly interrupted by someone who was plain stupid not to know where to go.

I say you should actually tell us what he did, I got very confused at the next few parts.

“Look, mister-not-nice-of-me-to-not-say-sorry you are so goin—“

Sounds very childish, I'm not sure if your character meant to be that way, that was just my first impression.

Surprisingly, I kind of, felt like, uhm, know him.

It feels very awkward. How about, "Surprisingly, I felt like I kind of know him."

Hope I could help!
I really liked it! This is the kind of book I'd pick up to read at a book store!

Keep writing!

God Bless!
Nants ingonyama bagithi Baba
Sithi uhm ingonyama
Nants ingonyama bagithi baba
Sithi uhhmm ingonyama
Ingonyama
Siyo Nqoba
Ingonyama
Ingonyama nengw' enamabala

If you know what this is from, become my best friend. =)

9 Reviews

Reviews: 9
Thu Mar 05, 2009 5:25 pm
Armagan says...

First of all, i would just like to say i really liked this and thoroughly enjoyed it! Also, sorry if i repeat advice already given to you :lol: But, now to review!

“Who are they mama?” I asked her in my six-year old voice, she did not answer. Tears just kept on falling from her eyes. Back then I can’t even understand what was happening.

Instead of putting "i can't even understand..." i would use "i couldn't even understand what was happening", because it seems like you jumped from past tense to present there?

There stood, a man in black shirt and pants, he was plain.

I think this would sound better if you said "There stood a man in a black shirt and pants, he seemed plain."
[/i]I put the 'a' before black shirt because i think that would be correct there, and i also put 'seemed' in because then this sort of gives the reader the idea that when you looked at him, he did seem plain but then you realised he wasn't. If you get what i mean?[/i]

He was plain before I saw the fire from his eyes. He was plain before I saw the fire from his hands. He was plain before I saw how he killed my family, looking them straight in the eye, holding them tight. BURNING THEM.

I can see what you were trying to achieve with repeating 'he was plain', but in my opinion it just seemed a bit repetitive. You could use something like I soon realised he wasn't plain when i saw the fire in his eyes... and just carry on with that? If you get my drift... :smt042 Also, when you capatilised 'BURNING THEM' i understand that you were trying to emphasize this, but it's really not necessary, if you just left it as 'Burning them', it would be emphasized really well.

He was about my age, six? , I can’t see him clearly.

There shouldn't be a comma after here, just start with "I can't see him clearly".

Just to clarify, if i sounded mean i honestly didn't mean to! And, i did really enjoy the story here, also, my advice is all optional, you can take it or just leave it the way it is :D
Another thing, i was gripped to the story throughout, and i am excited to hear what happens next! PM me if you have any questions...and if you've written more :D

Hope i helped!

72 Reviews

Reviews: 72
Sun Mar 08, 2009 5:23 pm
Moo says...

Hey, I'm Moo, and I'll be looking at your work :D

I was your average girl, living. I had a family. A mother, a father, siblings, I was the youngest. But they took it away from me.

This, 'living,' part makes no sense, really. Also, a full stop after siblings is needed. Also an 'and before siblings too.

I asked her in my six-year old voice

Um, kind of a strange way to tell us the age of the MC. Try to tell the reader this another way.

BURNING THEM.

I don't know why, but I find capitals make words very choppy. Also, it draws the reader to those words, and it gives a tendancy for readers to skip to that line. Use lowercase letters and put it in italics instead ;)

And I sat there, just sat there.

The second, 'just sat there,' is annoying me. Take it out and use a different sentence to show the MC did nothing to help her family.
Hearing the screams, the pleas,

'Their' pleas ;) Also, to make the rest of this sentence make sense, you should change this to, 'Even when I heard their...' and at the end, 'I did nothing...'

I sat there

Ah! Repetition!

I was afraid to look at him, I was afraid of him.

The word, 'afraid,' is repeated too much here. It makes a sentence boring if you use the same word in it twice. Try, 'terrified, scared,' for the latter one.

“Now, kill the girl” the man said, I trembled.

Use another word rather than, 'said.' It's a bit of a bland way for a murderer to speak. Also, you should maybe put an excamation mark at the end of this line. For example, 'Now, kill the girl!" he man roared in my direction, as I trembled violently in my seat.'

He was about my age, six?

Remove the question mark and replace with a full stop ;)

I can’t see him clearly.

You switch tenses here, from past to present. Keep an eye out for this, it's an easy mistake to make. ;) It should be, 'I couldn't...'

The little boy held my wrist, I felt a burning sensation, and I looked at him, and knew what was going to happen.

Poor wording here. You should split this sentence, and put in a few extra words so it's like this, 'The little boy held my wrist, andI felt a burning sensation. I looked at him, and knew what was going to happen.'

Sorry, this is all I have time for. I'll return to look at the rest later ;) Hope this much helped you! :D

-Moo
“Poetry is old, ancient, goes back far. It is among the oldest of living things. So old it is that no man knows how and why the first poems came.”

--Carl Sandburg

152 Reviews

Reviews: 152
Tue Mar 10, 2009 12:31 am
Musicaloo7311 says...

Hello, darling! I'll review overall for prologue and chapter 1 and edit grammar for chapter one [since everyone else did the prologue.] :)

[s]My throat was so dry with all the screams in my dream.[/s] My throat was dry due to all the screams I had omitted in my dreams.

I think the sentence was a little choppy, so I re-worded it. :)

A [s]DREAM[/s]dream! I thought.

Caps... Haha.

I hoped it really was just a dream. But, unfortunately, it [s]did happen[/s]had happened. I [s]did lose[/s]had lost[/s] so much. I happen[b]ed to be the little girl that was terrified, killed, and lived again.

You're mixing up your tenses here. Keep it in past tense, the one you used first. :wink:

I was in a coma for five months, and when I woke up, the two things I remembered were my name and the day five months before. It was all a blur to me, how I woke up again, because as far as I [s]am concern[/s] was concerned, I had died. Someone had killed me, that boy had killed me. How [s]w[/s]could I live if my heart had stopped? How [s]w[/s]could I live if- right there- that little boy [s]KILLED ME[/s]killed me? Answer.

Hazel-colored eyes, long, dyed black hair, very, very pale skin, and 5’8 in height[s],[/s]; that’s pretty much what I could say about myself.

Brianna has strawberry blond hair in a bob, icy blue eyes, and ivory skin. While Harold, or Dad, has brown hair, brown eyes, and tan skin. He is also built, but not bulky. They are actually just like siblings to me[s],[/s]; she is 31 and he is 33.

“[s]SUMMER[/s]Summer!”

“Yes, mom, I am very much aware that I am late now.”

“Good.” Was all she said[s],[/s]. [s]f[/s]Funny? Well, no. Even though she acts mother-like, she still sounds like an older sister.

“I’m going, Mom.

“Okay,” [s]S[/s]she shouted from the kitchen, which is- by the way- three rooms away from where I am[s]. (Just so you know)[/s]- just so you know.

I walked towards school[s],[/s]; don’t pity me[s],[/s]- I don’t do this because I have to, it’s because I want to. I needed to think. I needed to process the images that [s]went vivid[/s]had been presented vividly in my dreams. It had been haunting me for ten years now.

“You know, there’s a thing called ‘Sorry’[s].[/s],” I said this, complete with the air quotes.

“It’s [s]not nice[/s]rude of me to not say that word, but I’ve been saving that word for one person only. I hope you understand[s].[/s],” [s]H[/s]he said in his most calm voice. Okay, so why did I know he was calm? He could have killed me, then and there.

As to the last line- you didn't describe this person as being angry, why throw in the "kill me"? Consider removing it- it just doesn't make sense.

“Look, mister-[s]not-nice[/s]rude-of-me-to-not-say-sorry, you are so goin—“

I simply could not finish my statement, because he suddenly wrapped his arms around me.

I was in a state of shock. All of my brain cells [s]are[/s]were dying, one by one. My heart [s]is[/s]was skipping beats. It [s]feels[/s]felt like I kn[s]o[/s]ew this guy from somewhere[s],[/s]; [s]I’m feeling[/s]it felt as if he was or is a part of me. I just [s]can’t[/s]couldn't remember.

“You will understand,he said, and then turned and walked away. [s]then he walked away.[/s]

I stood there, taken aback. Who wouldn’t? Being hugged by a guy you don’t know[s],[/s]; who wouldn’t be freaked out?

Surprisingly, I kind of[s],[/s] felt like[s], uhm,[/s]I kn[s]o[/s]ew him.

It sounds like she's saying this aloud, which isn't what she's doing.

Overall:

Hi, and nicely done! I want to know who killed her family and why. Your grammar wasn't perfect; try to double check for any careless mistakes before posting. :wink: I want to know what will happen between these characters!
Anyway, good job! Keep it up!

Love,
Music. :)
Click-ity click! Reviews here. :)
The Completely Evil Plan.

"You treat me badly; I love you madly."
Formerly known as music_lover_7311.

40 Reviews

Reviews: 40
Tue Mar 10, 2009 1:47 am
~Excalibur~ says...

I see music took care of the issues, and I am a bad proof reader. I saw your post in Writer's Corner about this, but did not make a comment due to a lack of content to go by.

This piece is short, and it really doesn't help me answer try to fix your writer's block because the content is still so little. You have 17,000 words down according to your other post, but I can't help think that 17,000 words reads entirely like this entry.

A lot of the problems with this piece is the dialogue and the in formal, way to informal to be exact, prose you have int he story. It reads like a diary and is very bland by using passive verse. Going between active and passive should be part of the tools a writer uses to fill in gaps of knowledge or take a look at something more closely, then switch to the in depth active prose to bring the reader in more. Like the focus of a lens, it needs to be adjusted for capturing the picture you words paint. Frankly, I don't see it.

Everything is told to us, so I cannot really get into the story. Making matters worse was the constant 'I' at the beginning of almost every sentence. Try to spice up the sentence structure some. You also need more description, especially in active 'showing 'prose and not this passive 'telling' prose.

For curing your writer's block, it seems that you are unorganized and write this on the fly without really knowing the characters before hand. Perhaps some character sheets and a grasp of various settings will help you overcome it.
Currently writing Gaea Arc #1 - Poisoned Throne

Help Class 5-B get started! (Link works now)
topic44711.html

18 Reviews

Reviews: 18
Thu Mar 12, 2009 7:43 pm
hippie_vampire says...

I'm really bad at proof reading(I have a hard time even doing my own stuff!) but I'm good with plots and stuff if you know what I mean.
One thing I did notes though is that you use commas way to much.

Plot wise it was pretty good but you need to show more then tell. Also I'd work on adding description in with the story letting it flow rather then the "Info dump" you have now.

I really like the suspense of the hole thing:) A real page turner!(or since it's on the computer would it be a page scroller?)

Well anyway I know it's not much but I hope it helps!

Random avatar

Reviews: 7
Sun Apr 26, 2009 11:32 am
threm. says...

I've added maaaany more chapters. who wants to read? pm me.
"Don't judge me based on my works, so I won't judge you based on yours"

It is most unlikely. But - here comes the big "but" - not impossible.
— Roald Dahl