z

Young Writers Society

The Forest

21 Reviews

Reviews: 21
Tue Jan 06, 2009 11:33 pm
Anna09 says...

I'm not sure if this should be here or in the fantasy section, but I'm pretty sure it should be here. This is part of the 'Imagine' contest. Well, I saw the first picture and fell in love. I totally suck at writing short stories-everything I write wants to be novel length...and never finished. This is a rough draft, so it's not perfect...yet.
I really want to this be submitted to, well, anywhere that would take it. So, *cringes* tear it apart!
EDIT: I updated it to fix some things :) (I attempted to fix the switch in POV)
---------------------------

Would it work this time? Would they be there? Katherine hoped to whatever god was listening that her trip would not be in vain. Her feet beat out an unsteady rhythm against the path. The pathway was a winding tail, the dirt packed down with time. It was the trail to her last possible resort. As usual, the trade off from open space to jungle was sudden and abrupt. With it came unwanted memories of the past, hopes that had been raised, spirits that had been crushed. With the sudden shadow came the doubts, crouching along behind her, slinking in the back of her mind.

Would it work? She had had her hopes raised and crushed far too many times to even consider the optimistic outcome. In her arms, Danielle reached out, the toddler’s pudgy hands grasping at the noxious dark green of a tree leaf.

“No, honey, don’t touch anything.” Katherine’s voice was soft and weak, too small to be of any warning to her child. Danielle, though, picking up on her mother’s worry, quickly drew her small hand back, pressing her face close to Katherine.

She thinks I will protect her, Katherine thought. That as long as she was in her mother’s arms, nothing bad would happen.

If only that were true. Being in Katherine’s arms had not starved away the sickness; it had not flushed out the fever. The comfort of a mother’s embrace is an enchanting lie, playing a wistful tune, drawing up closer and closer until the solid ground was jerked out from under. As people grow older, they learn gradually that love does not conquer all. A mother’s love is not a shield, able to protect from all the harm of life. It is only a wish, a whispered prayer that life would take it easy on this precious new child.

“We’re almost there,” Katherine muttered to herself, slightly bouncing Danielle in her arms. The sleepy child raised her head, blinking as her wide eyes viewed Katherine with innocence.

“Will we get to go home, after this?” Danielle asked, the childish tint on her words pricking Katherine’s heart.

“I don’t-yes, yes honey, after this we will go home.” The lie flew easily and smoothly from her lips. She would have hated herself for the simple lie, Danielle had been lied to far too many times in her short life, but the happiness that sprung forth in her daughters eyes made it all worth it.

“And we’ll get a house-” Katherine continued, the first lie opening up a mental doorway for which all wishful happy endings poured out.

“By the sea?”

Katherine nodded, her eyes far away. “Yes, by the sea.”

“And no more icky medicine, right?”

A small smile, the first in a long time, smoothed Katherine’s wrinkles out, erasing them with only a simple gesture. “No more icky medicine, promise.”

Danielle nodded, for the moment content. “When can we leave?”

Katherine was silent, her eyes down as she carefully picked out a treacherous path over the roots that had burst forth from the earth. Her eyes roamed the thick, steamy forest, as if expecting to find an answer hidden within the deadly brilliance of nature.

“Once we talk to them, hon.” Katherine told her softly, the weight in her arms growing heavier by the second.

“They’ll make everything right again?”

For a minute, Katherine felt the old anger come back. Why Danielle? Why did it have to be her child? She would have gladly taken Danielle’s place, if given the chance. The disease had sucked all the life out of the toddler, snatching any remnant of a normal life harshly from her grasp. Where normal children giggled and played, their carefree childhood filled with freedom and joy, Danielle’s childhood was full of fear, of sickness. She knew the inside of a doctor’s office more than she knew the inside of the classroom. Rather than play, the girl spent most of the time in Katherine’s arms.

She’s spent too much time out of my arms to know that everything we have is fleeting, Katherine realized. Her little daughter already knew the hard truth that so many adults struggled to accept.

“Yes,” Katherine said thickly, pushing back a weak curl on her daughter’s forehead. “They will make everything right again.”

The trip was over before long, the steamy air prodding her hair back and forth. Hidden in the jungle, harsh voices cried out. Birds, beasts, and everything in between yelped their fury and hurt. That tiny squeak to the right was the final sound that the animal would ever make. It was gone. It's departure, like it's birth, unnoticed, passed over by an uncaring world.

Pulling Danielle closer, Katherine warily eyed the trees, wishing that their poisonous green was not so closing. There was no unused room here in the jungle. Every possible inch was used, crowed in by a multitude of plants who throttled each other in the endless fight for life. It was so violent, so ruthless, it made Katherine uneasy, and she started to walk faster, her eyes quickly scouting ahead to find the path. The path couldn’t last for much longer, she knew that. It had been a long time since she had last been on the path, and the differences between the two times were startling. She had been young then, and carefree, following him deeper and deeper into this same jungle. The trees hadn’t been closing in on them as they were now, but rather inviting, their green leafs so bright with color it hurt her eyes. The flowers had been beautiful then, now they were nothing but an unfulfilled promise, a hurting ache that never went away. He once picked one up, a bright purple one, the petals springing out to reveal a pure white center. With one loving smile, he had tucked it behind her ear, an unspoken promise.

But flowers die, withering away until not even the memory remains. So had he. Not by any conscious choice, certainly not by free will, but rather by the cruel and heartless mistress we call fate. He had been torn away, withering into dust, just like the promised flower had.

Katherine pushed back the memories, her eyes fixated on the break of trees she saw ahead. It was unusual to see such a clearing, and her heart lurched because she knew that it had been made by man. Nature had not opened up a pathway for her, a freewill act to heal her daughter. No; men had struggled, sweating out their frustration as they pounded the forest that always hit back. They had worked, worked until they could work no more. Yanking part of the land from the claws of nature is never an easy task, and they had fought valiantly. Even now, they continued the on going struggle to keep the land their own.

They sudden absence of trees made her feel venerable rather than safe, as she had expected. Nervously, her eyes jumped around the small meadow, prodding all the shadows, hoping to find some human form. They were well adapted to the jungle, and easily hid within its grasp. She knew that she could not find them; they had to find her.

One appeared, with the grace and mystery of a jungle cat, his leathery brown skin catching her eye. He looked like he had always been standing there, and Katherine wondered how her eyes had passed over him in the first place. The man was old, his gait unsteady, his hair a mass of white. His eyes, as they pinned her there, were as strong as a man half his age. With a stick in one hand to lean on, he slowly made his way to where she stood. The wrinkles of time covered his face, hiding any emotion deep within them. They were a testament to wisdom, a testament to strength. He had survived far longer than the normal life expectancy, and his proud, lean body now stood before her.

Turning his eyes from her, they flickered over the little girl in her arms. Danielle lifted her head, turning to look at the strange man in front of her. Her head tilted and unsure she glanced back at her mother. Katherine had run out of answers a long time ago, and the words of comfort fled from her mouth.

“Can you help her?” Her voice was shaky, uncertain. The soft sentence was nearly lost in the jungle, as nature snatched away any proof of humans.

“With every gift,” he began. His voice was rocky, a sign of his age, and for a second his eyes met hers with such empathy that the ashes of hope, a phoenix that had long been dead, was stirred up.

“With every gift, there is a,” he voice faltered, and for a moment his eyes flickered away from her face. “There is a price.”

Why does he act as if that’s a problem? Katherine wondered. She would do everything, give up anything he asked, if it meant Danielle being well again.

“What do you want?” Katherine asked him simply, watching as he considered the question.

“It is not what I want, but what he who gives the gift wants.”

Blinking, Katherine considered what he had said. Rubbish. Just some superstition, like any other found in remote tribes.

It’s this ‘superstition’ that you want, she reminded herself, knowing she had to play along.

“Okay,” she said slowly. “What does ‘he who gives the gift’ want?”

Here the old man visible faltered his eyes on the ground. His mouth opened once or twice as if to answer, but only air came out.

“He, he requires,” the old man cleared his throat, not meeting Katherine’s eyes. “A life for a life.”

Katherine didn’t gasp, she didn’t reel in shock. There was no reaction, emotionally or physically from her. She had known, deep inside of her what it would come to. Her life for her daughter’s. She had struggled over this, all the doctor’s voice ringing in her head. ‘None of the medicine is working…’ ‘I’ve never seen since a complex case…’ and finally the answer they all gave.

‘I’m sorry but I can’t help her.’

With a firmness and sureness that she hadn’t felt since he had left, she met the man’s eyes.

“Who will take care of her?” She asked simply, wanting to get all the info out in the open before she verbalized the unspoken answer that they both knew would come.

“She will be raised with us, a way to ensure her health,” he replied softly.

Katherine slowly nodded. She looked down at her daughter, her lips pressed back in the first sincere large smile since he had left. Danielle looked up, a small smile on her little red lips. With one, soft kiss on the forehead, Katherine handed her only daughter to the old man.

“Promise me one thing,” she said, pushing back the tears that threatened to come. “Promise me that you will love her.”
Last edited by Anna09 on Fri Jan 09, 2009 10:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

1272 Reviews

Reviews: 1272
Wed Jan 07, 2009 9:13 pm
Rosendorn says...

I know how you feel. Novels and poetry feel like the only things I can churn out.

Ask, and ye shall recive. One shred, coming right up!

Her feet beat out an unsteady rhythm against the path. The pathway was a winding tail, the dirt packed down with time.

You get repetitive here. "Path" and "pathway" are too close in sound to be a few words apart. I don't know if you meant this or not, but the word after "winding" is "tail."

It was her trail to the last possible resort.

This line feels rough. Maybe: "It was the trail to her last possible resort.

As usual, the trade off from open space to jungle was sudden and abrupt. The tradeoff brought with it unwanted memories of the past, hopes that had been raised, spirits that had been crushed.

"Trade off" really threw me for a loop. Try replacing it with "change" or something that doesn't feel so modern.

Danielle, though, picking up on her mother’s worry, quickly drew her small hand back, pressing her face close to Katherine.

It's minor, but you change viewpoints here.

The comfort of the mother’s embrace is an enchanting lie, playing a wistful tune, drawing up closer and closer until the solid ground was jerked out from under us. As we grow older, we learn gradually that love does not conquer all. Our mother’s love is not a shield, able to protect us from all the harm of life. It is only a wish, a whispered pray that life would take it easy on this precious new child.

I love these lines, but they're in first person, while the rest of the piece is in third. I love these so much that it might be worth changing everything to first person just to put these in!

He once picked one up, a bright purple one, the petals springing out to reveal a pure white center. With one loving smile, he had tucked it behind her ear, an unspoken promise.

But flowers die, withering away until not even the memory remains. So had he. Not by any conscious choice, certainly not by free will, but rather by the cruel and heartless mistress we call fate. He had been torn away, withering into dust, just like the promised flower had.

It might be this mention of her past that is tugging this story into a novella or a novel. Since it's not needed for the story, you could stand to delete it. You could, however, keep the line below it, mentioning the memories.

His eyes, as they pinned her there, were as strong as a man half his age.

"As he pinned her there" is confusing in the middle of the sentence. You could try: "His eyes pinned her there. They were as strong as a man half his age."

Katherine asked him simply, watching as he considered the question.

You could delete "him" from here, since he's the person she talked to last.

and finally the answer they all gave.

I don't get what you mean by this; it's too vague.

hating the words that had to be said.

You change viewpoints here again.

her lips pressed back in the first large smile since he had left.

You could stand to change "he" to "she" since we know this isn't her home. See the note above on "he."

Overall- This is amazingly powerful, even if the comments above make you think otherwise. I can really see which picture you're using, and I find you've done this theme remarkably well. For a short story, other then the mention of "he" I find you've gone into a tremandouce amount of depth and have put in just enough.

Well done!
A writer is a world trapped in a person— Victor Hugo

Ink is blood. Paper is bandages. The wounded press books to their heart to know they're not alone.

878 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 878
Sat Jan 10, 2009 11:07 am
Demeter says...

Hi, Anna! I don't think we have been introduced? ;) Well, I'm Demeter, and it's nice to meet you!

Would it work this time? Would they be there? (Questions are a fine way to start, I think – they drag the reader immediately in. However, the second question is a little awkward. How about 'Could they make it there?' or something?) Katherine hoped to whatever god was listening that her trip would not be in vain. ('Prayed' would a better word than 'hoped', since you're talking about gods.) Her feet beat out an unsteady rhythm against the path. The pathway was a winding tail, the dirt packed down with time. It was the trail to her last possible resort. As usual, the trade off from open space to jungle was sudden and abrupt. With it came unwanted memories of the past, hopes that had been raised, spirits that had been crushed. With the sudden shadow came the doubts, crouching along behind her, slinking in the back of her mind.

(I think, since this is the opening paragraph, you could've added more action and less description. You know, just to get it started.)

Would it work? She had had her hopes raised and crushed far too many times to even consider the optimistic outcome. In her arms, Danielle reached out, the toddler’s pudgy hands grasping at the noxious dark green of a tree leaf. (So Danielle is the toddler? It took me a while to get that. I don't know why, maybe because you hadn't mentioned anything about something in her arms, if you know what I mean.)

“No, honey, don’t touch anything.” Katherine’s voice was soft and weak, too small to be of any warning to her child. Danielle, though, picking up on her mother’s worry, quickly drew her small hand back, pressing her face close to Katherine.

She thinks I will protect her, Katherine thought. That as long as she was in her mother’s arms, nothing bad would happen.

If only that were true. Being in Katherine’s arms had not starved away the sickness; it had not flushed out the fever. The comfort of a mother’s embrace is an enchanting lie, playing a wistful tune, drawing up closer and closer until the solid ground was jerked out from under. As people grow older, they learn gradually that love does not conquer all. A mother’s love is not a shield, able to protect from all the harm of life. It is only a wish, a whispered prayer that life would take it easy on this precious new child.

(I liked this paragraph, nice job!)

“We’re almost there,” Katherine muttered to herself, slightly bouncing Danielle in her arms. Since the baby is there, wouldn't it be more real that Katherine muttered it to her? It's a little bit the same thing than talking to animals or plants, talking to a baby. ;)) The sleepy child raised her head, blinking as her wide eyes viewed Katherine with innocence.

“Will we get to go home, (no comma) after this?” Danielle asked, the childish tint on her words pricking Katherine’s heart. (Oh! She can speak?)

“I don’t-yes, yes honey, after this we will go home.” The lie flew easily and smoothly (I think you should ditch either of those adverbs – you shouldn't use them any more than you really need, anyway) from her lips. She would have hated herself for the simple lie, (Stop the sentence here.) Danielle had been lied to far too many times in her short life, but the happiness that sprung forth in her daughters eyes made it all worth it. (Since you just used the 'far too many' a couple of paragraphs ago, maybe you should replace this one with something else.)

“And we’ll get a house-” Katherine continued, the first lie opening up a mental doorway for which all wishful happy endings poured out.

“By the sea?”

Katherine nodded, her eyes far away. “Yes, by the sea.”

“And no more icky medicine, right?” (Don't ask where that came from, but I think it'd be more realistic if you took off that 'right'. It's a child speaking, after all...)

A small smile, the first in a long time, smoothed Katherine’s wrinkles out, erasing them with only a simple gesture. “No more icky medicine, promise.” (I imagined Katherine was rather young. So does she really have like age wrinkles, or are they just, for example, in the corners of her eyes for all the worrying?)

Danielle nodded, for the moment content. “When can we leave?” (Maybe move the 'content' before 'for the moment'.)

Katherine was silent ('Kept' rather than 'was'?), her eyes down as she carefully picked out a treacherous path over the roots that had burst forth from the earth. Her eyes roamed the thick, steamy forest, as if expecting to find an answer hidden within the deadly brilliance of nature.

“Once we talk to them, hon.” (Again, a little awkwardly phrased.) Katherine told her softly, the weight in her arms growing heavier by the second.

“They’ll make everything right again?”

For a minute, Katherine felt the old anger come back. Why Danielle? Why did it have to be her child? She would have gladly taken Danielle’s place, if given the chance. The disease had sucked all the life out of the toddler, snatching any remnant of a normal life harshly from her grasp. Where normal children giggled and played, their carefree childhood filled with freedom and joy, Danielle’s childhood was full of fear, of sickness. She knew the inside of a doctor’s office [s]more[/s] better than she knew the inside of the classroom. Rather than play, the girl spent most of the time in Katherine’s arms. (Hmm, the 'rather than play' is a little awkward, again. Maybe reword a little?)

She’s spent too much time out of my arms to know that everything we have is fleeting, Katherine realized. (The idea isn't clear enough.) Her little daughter already knew the hard truth that so many adults struggled to accept.

“Yes,” Katherine said thickly, pushing back a weak curl on her daughter’s forehead. “They will make everything right again.”

The trip was over before long, the steamy air prodding her hair back and forth. Hidden in the jungle, harsh voices cried out. Birds, beasts, and everything in between yelped their fury and hurt. That tiny squeak to the right was the final sound that the animal would ever make. It was gone. It's departure, like it's birth, unnoticed, passed over by an uncaring world. Do you mean 'its' or 'it's'? You know, 'it's' is a short for 'it is', so I think you meant 'its', which is the genetive.)

Pulling Danielle closer, Katherine warily eyed the trees, wishing that their poisonous green was not so closing. (Closing what?) There was no unused room here in the jungle. (I'm not too crazy about the word 'unused', especially when there's a 'used' in the next sentence.) Every possible inch was used, crowed in by a multitude of plants who throttled each other in the endless fight for life. It was so violent, so ruthless, it made Katherine uneasy, and she started to walk faster, her eyes quickly scouting ahead to find the path. (Maybe divide the sentence into two.) The path couldn’t last for much longer, she knew that. It had been a long time since she had last been on the path, and the differences between the two times were startling. She had been young then, and carefree, following him deeper and deeper into this same jungle. The trees hadn’t been closing in on them as they were now, but rather inviting, their green [s]leafs[/s] leaves so bright with color it hurt her eyes. The flowers had been beautiful then, now they were nothing but an unfulfilled promise, a hurting ache that never went away. He once picked one up, a bright purple one, the petals springing out to reveal a pure white center. With one loving smile, he had tucked it behind her ear, an unspoken promise.

(You're using quite a lot of 'un' words here: unused, unfulfilled, uneasy, unspoken. For some reason, it makes the sentences sound awkward (I know I use that word a lot, but still) and not flowing at all. Maybe you should replace some of them.)

But flowers die, withering away until not even the memory remains. So had he. (So had he what? This is a little funny. Had he died?) Not by any conscious choice, certainly not by free will, but rather by the cruel and heartless mistress we call fate. He had been torn away, withering into dust, just like the promised flower had.

Katherine pushed back the memories, her eyes fixated on the break of trees she saw ahead. It was unusual to see such a clearing, and her heart lurched because she knew that it had been made by man. Nature had not opened up a pathway for her, a freewill act to heal her daughter. No; (I think you should replace the semicolon with a dash) men had struggled, sweating out their frustration as they pounded the forest that always hit back. They had worked, worked until they could work no more. Yanking part of the land from the claws of nature is never an easy task, and they had fought valiantly. Even now, they continued the on going (isn't it a one word?) struggle to keep the land their own.

They sudden absence of trees made her feel venerable rather than safe, as she had expected. (Had she been expecting to feel safe? You should clear that up.) Nervously, her eyes jumped around the small meadow, prodding all the shadows, hoping to find some human form. They were well adapted to the jungle, and easily hid within its grasp. She knew that she could not find them; they had to find her.

One appeared, with the grace and mystery of a jungle cat, his leathery brown skin catching her eye. He looked like he had always been standing there, and Katherine wondered how her eyes had passed over him in the first place. The man was old, his gait unsteady, his hair a mass of white. His eyes, as they pinned her there, were as strong as a man half his age. (Are the eyes as strong as a young man, or as strong as the eyes of a young man?) With a stick in one hand to lean on, he slowly made his way to where she stood. The wrinkles of time covered his face, hiding any emotion deep within them. They were a testament to wisdom[s], a testament to[/s] and strength. He had survived far longer than the normal life expectancy, and his proud, lean body now stood before her.

Turning his eyes from her, they flickered over the little girl in her arms. Danielle lifted her head, turning to look at the strange man in front of her. Her head tilted and unsurely she glanced back at her mother. Katherine had run out of answers a long time ago, and the words of comfort fled from her mouth.

“Can you help her?” Her voice was shaky, uncertain. The soft sentence was nearly lost in the jungle, (I like this image) as nature snatched away any proof of humans.

“With every gift,” he began. His voice was rocky, a sign of his age, and for a second his eyes met hers with such empathy that the ashes of hope, a phoenix that had long been dead, was stirred up.

“With every gift, there is a, (A what?)” [s]he[/s] his voice faltered, and for a moment his eyes flickered away from her face. “There is a price.”

Why does he act as if that’s a problem? (I think you should put these words in italics, as they are her thoughts.)Katherine wondered. She would do everything, give up anything he asked, if it meant Danielle being well again.

“What do you want?” Katherine asked him simply, watching as he considered the question.

“It is not what I want, but what he who gives the gift wants.” ('He who gives the gift' is awkward. Maybe just change it to 'It is not what I want, but what he wants.')

Blinking, Katherine considered what he had said. Rubbish. (Why is it rubbish?)Just some superstition, like any other found in remote tribes.

It’s this ‘superstition’ that you want, she reminded herself, knowing she had to play along. (Italics again.)

“Okay,” she said slowly. “What does ‘he who gives the gift’ want?” (And change this to 'What does "he" want?')

Here the old man visible faltered his eyes on the ground. (Why is there that 'here'? Should it be 'At this' or something?) His mouth opened once or twice as if to answer, but only air came out.

“He, he requires,” (I get it that the repetition of 'he' is intentional, but you could still take the other one away.) the old man cleared his throat, not meeting Katherine’s eyes. “A life for a life.”

Katherine didn’t gasp, she didn’t reel in shock. There was no reaction, emotionally or physically from her. She had known, deep inside of her what it would come to. Her life for her daughter’s. She had struggled over this, all the doctor’s voice ringing in her head. ‘None of the medicine is working…’ ‘I’ve never seen since a complex case…’ and finally the answer they all gave.

‘I’m sorrycomma but I can’t help her.’ (Italics again.)

With a firmness (I don't think the 'a' is needed) and sureness that she hadn’t felt since he had left, she met the man’s eyes.

“Who will take care of her?” [s]S[/s]she asked simply, wanting to get all the info out in the open before she verbalized the unspoken answer that they both knew would come. (A little too wordy, consider rephrasing.)

“She will be raised with us, a way to ensure her health,” he replied softly.

Katherine slowly nodded ('nodded slowly', I'd say). She looked down at her daughter, her lips pressed back in the first sincere [s]large[/s] smile since he had left. Danielle looked up, a small smile on her little red lips. With one, soft kiss on the forehead, Katherine handed her only daughter to the old man.

“Promise me one thing,” she said, pushing back the tears that threatened to come. “Promise me that you will love her.” A good and effective ending.

Okay, Anna. I like the fact that this story is different from many others I have read. I don't know, which picture this is from, but I'll definitely go check it out after this.

Katherine's characterization:

We don't actually know much about Katherine. We don't know her age, her looks, her background, anything. Since I still feel that Katherine is somewhat young, and Danielle is her only child, I think you could've worked on the motherliness a lot more. I can imagine that mothers are incredibly protective of their children and basically are in tears whenever they see a smile on the kid's face. I think that's how I would behave if I had a child. So you could work on Katherine's emotions, because now she just pushes through the jungle without any real emotion, or that's how I felt. It must be hard to make your way through a thick jungle, especially when you're holding your daughter's life in your hands. It would be realistic for Katherine, even for once, to start thinking that it's not worth it or that she's too tired to keep going anymore. I doubt that she would be that strong, though I do understand that for your own child, you'd do anything in the world.

The plot:

I felt that you weren't giving us enough background of the story. You could have described more the illness of Danielle's, and what the jungle men are going to do to help her. Also, the Katherine's flashback part (where she recalled her last visit in the jungle) was slightly random, and I don't think that it has very much to do with the actual story. You could even consider ditching it completely. It would've also been nice to know where the jungle was, in what country or area. I still liked the originality of the plot, though – I don't remember reading anything like it before.

The description:

At times, I felt like you were just stuffing our throats with description of the jungle, and almost forgetting that you were telling a story. In some parts, the description slowed the story down too much, and even though it's nice to have some view to imagine, the more important thing is still the plot that should be going on the whole time. It's perfectly fine to drop a little description here, a little there, not putting it all together and then forgetting all about it.

Overall:

A promising story, and a little bit of editing I'm pretty sure you can make it really shine. Good luck with the contest – I think you have a good shot there! :)

So, hope this helped, and if you need any more reviews, just PM me or post on my Will Review for Food Thread.

I'll see you around!

Demeter
xxx
Last edited by Demeter on Fri Jan 16, 2009 8:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Your jokes are scarier than your earrings." -Twit

"14. Pretend like you would want him even if he wasn't a prince. (Yeah, right.)" -How to Make a Guy Like You - Disney Princess Style

Got YWS?

202 Reviews

Reviews: 202
Mon Jan 12, 2009 5:25 pm
CastlesInTheSky says...

Hi Anna! :) I wasn't going to critique this until the Imagine Contest was over, as you can probably work out it wouldn't be fair for me to critique something you were entering into my contest. xD
Lovely Demeter and Rosey have already pointed out nitpicks, so I shall do an overall. I tend to do a lot of criticsms first, and good points after, so don't worry if you see this whole lot of stuff you need to work on. xD

I

A very vaild point was made above that you aren't portraying the emotions strongly enough. Once in a while we do get a breakthrough, but you need to work on showing this mother's love for her child more. Really try to let her emotions and personality shine through the dialogue, her thoughts, actions, interactions with the child, with different people, through monologues and conflicts and events. Good writing requires the use of emotion, both in the writing and from or in the writer. What? Emotion in the writing itself and the author? Yes, good writing does require emotion from the words and from the writer. Actually, good writing requires creative and effective use, not overuse, of emotion.

Preparing fiction, whether in a short story or novel, without emotion results in telling rather showing. Telling a story may provide the readers with necessary information, but showing allows the reader to “see” the events, actions, and plot unfold. Showing emotion without resorting to sentimentality is a major component in writing vivid, powerful stories that readers can visualize. When we talk or read about highly-emotional subjects like romance and death, we are tempted to use clichés. After all they are found everywhere and represent the shortcuts we use in song and word.

Authors can avoid sentimentality without losing emotion needed to reach readers. The writer simply has to deal with the emotion in an original and complex manner by trying to avoid abstract words and ideas. This is accomplished by staying with concrete descriptions. The author must experience the emotion and describe it with the five senses, write it as he feels it. Abstract words and ideas can be interpreted by others in different ways, relying on the readers’ definition. Details are required to make the emotion live.

II

Don’t overdescribe. In an effort to present a striking picture, some students become so obsessed with the search for descriptive words that they seem to strain for the effect after a while. Any word is good so long as it projects the image or sentiment on the right level. What Francis Bacon said about studies can also be said about words: “. . . to use them too much for ornamentation is affectation.” However, you're sometimes on the right track. Take this for example:

The flowers had been beautiful then, now they were nothing but an unfulfilled promise, a hurting ache that never went away. He once picked one up, a bright purple one, the petals springing out to reveal a pure white center. With one loving smile, he had tucked it behind her ear, an unspoken promise.

This is a really fantastic example in your work because you've used description of the forest, however you've used it in relation to the characters. As long as a detail advances the story and moves it along, then it's valuable. And this is obviously valuable; it gives us insight into your main character's past. So kudos for that, and just try to work it into the rest of your piece.

III

Anyway, overall, I enjoyed reading this. You were good particularly at describing characters and what they looked like. You need to work a bit on flow and awkward phrasing; also moving the story along quicker when it could have been faster, but for your first story, this is a great attempt. A bit melodramatic in places and some of the lines in dialogue weren't completely original but don't worry about that just yet! ^_^ I remember my first story and it's safe to say, it was far more melodramatic and cliched that this lovely little piece. Anyway, well done!

Keep writing and PM me if you have any questions.

-Sarah
Had I the heavens embroider'd cloths,
I would spread the cloths under your feet.
But I being poor, have only my dreams,
So tread softly, for you tread on my life.

1272 Reviews

Reviews: 1272
Mon Jan 12, 2009 9:57 pm
Rosendorn says...

I see you have edited this, but, the first viewpoint change is still there. A simple fix would be: Danielle, though, seeming to pick[s]ing[/s] up on her mother’s worry, quickly drew her small hand back, pressing her face close to Katherine.

^ Now, the certainty is taken out, which is really the only thing that marks a viewpoint shift like this.

You did a good job changing the second viewpoint shift, and you have successfully changed those beautiful lines from first to third. Congrats!
A writer is a world trapped in a person— Victor Hugo

Ink is blood. Paper is bandages. The wounded press books to their heart to know they're not alone.

worlds buzz over us like bees, / we be splendid in new bones.
— Lucille Clifton