z

Young Writers Society

Mer

1272 Reviews

Reviews: 1272
Fri Jan 02, 2009 12:29 am
Rosendorn says...

"No! You stay here. I won't risk you out there!" The water rippled with the force of her father's voice.

"Father, I can help!" She cried, swimming closer to the group of merfolk heading out of the city gates.

He blocked her with his arm. "I can't let you get captured. You're too important!"

"But--"

"Go!" Water swelled around her with his command. She was pushed away by the tide, seeing Tri vanish in the murky depths. She tried to swim out of it, using her own water power to fight the spell, but the wave only pushed her faster.

Despite that, she continued to fight. She couldn't leave her friends, her family fight that warlock without her. She could help, her powers were stronger then theirs combined, but this was one wave she couldn't fight.

Pain began to form at her spine and travel down her hips and tail.

No, not a Shift. I can't go on land, not now!

It was a Shift. Her tail was as hot as a sea-vent, slowly changing to legs as she got to shore. Flowing fabric began to cover her waist, spreading from her chest and shoulders. It covered her lower body as scales fell away; she felt like her tail was being skinned.

She wanted to scream, but her voice was choked off. No mer could fight Shift, just like no mer could stop the pain. So much pain. Her blond hair covered her eyes, blocking the starry sky above. She felt sand under her hands, but not through the searing heat of her Shifting lower body. She floated onto the beach, and succumbed to blackness.

*Good?*
A writer is a world trapped in a person— Victor Hugo

Ink is blood. Paper is bandages. The wounded press books to their heart to know they're not alone.

116 Reviews

Reviews: 116
Thu Jan 08, 2009 11:52 pm
Maybe says...

*Yep, sorry about the delay. Again.*

"Mom, I'm going down to the beach!" Aaron called, not even bothering to wait for an answer before the screen door was banging shut behind him. He ran the familiar paths through the dunes leading from his beach-side home to the small, usually deserted beach only minutes away.

Once there, he stripped off his shirt and watched the waves with a critical eye. The swell was larger than it had been in a while, but that was probably thanks to the storm brewing to the east. After a moment, he turned and found his secret hideout where he stored his surfboards during the summer months. Picking out one he thought would work for the day, he plunged into the water with it and paddled out.

The surf was better than he had seen it in a long time. And having the whole beach to himself made it even better. He wasn't sure how much time had passed before he turned his board for shore and caught one final wave.

He slushed though the shallow water back towards land just as something on the shore caught his eye. From where he was, at least a good few hundred yards away, it looked only like a pile of rags or a large clump of seaweed. But his curiosity got the best of him, and Aaron found himself making his way over to it.

Once closer, he found that it was not a simple pile of rags or seaweed.

It was, in fact, a girl.

Her eyes were closed, and she was in a position that looked as though the tide had brought her there and left her. Aaron bit his lip and looked around for anyone else, but he and the girl were alone.

Making up his mind as to what to do, he ran back to his hideout to put his board back before returning to the girl. Thanks to avid surfing trips, Aaron had built up enough upper-body strength to be able to pick her up with ease and carry her slim form back towards his home.

"Mom?" he called as he propped open the door with his foot and maneuvered himself and the girl inside.

"Yeah?" she called back, her voice wafting down the stairs.

"Can you come down here for a second?"

At her son's worried tone, Jenna came trotting into the room. She caught sight of the girl immediately and her mouth turned into a worried frown.

"I just found her lying on the beach...," he explained, setting the girl down on the couch as gently as he could. "I have no idea how she got there..."

*Hope this works*
Be the cartoon heart. Light a fire, light a spark. Light a fire, flame in my heart. We'll run wild, we'll be glowing in the dark.

1272 Reviews

Reviews: 1272
Fri Jan 09, 2009 1:42 am
Rosendorn says...

*It'll do. And, she does get a name here!*

Slowly sensations began to come. Softness, one different from sand was under her. She shifted her legs, still feeling the pain of Shifting. Everything was dry. Not even the air held the moisture of the beach. She still smelled salt in the air, but only the faint sound of waves told her she was somewhere near the shore.

"She's waking up now," the voice was female, and slightly worried. "You alright hon?"

She opened her eyes. Outside a screen door the beach was visible in the distance. "I-- I'm fine." but I wasn't supposed to be found, she added silently, taking in her surroundings. From what she knew of humans, this was a house. A house meant people. Hopefully she could get away before more people found her.

"What's your name?" the speaker was a young man.

"Miriam," she said softly, not wanting to hurt her throat. Every breath iritated her lungs. She had breathed air before, but not so far away from the water.

"Aaron," he offered her a hand. Miriam took it after a moment of hesitation, remembering the human way of introduction. "How-- how did you wind up on the beach?"

Miriam rubbed her forehead, wincing at the dryness of her skin. She couldn't tell, not about Mer. How could she explain without giving everything away?

"Maybe she should rest a little before we start asking questions," the woman said, putting a hand on Aaron's shoulder. Miriam looked at the woman; she had a knowing glint in her eye.

"I'm Jenna, by the way," the woman continued. "Do you want anything?"

Miriam shook her head and looked out back at the water. She had to get back! She carefully swung her legs over the edge of the couch, chosing her next words carefully, "Is there any time when the beach is empty?"

"Not during the day. Why do you ask?" Aaron sat down beside her. He blushed. "Sorry, I forgot."

Jenna made her way towards the stairs. "I don't think you should go anywhere for awhile, you're looking worn. I'll make up the guest bedroom so you can rest. We'll talk tomorrow," she vanished up the stairs. After a moment she added, "Aaron, I think I'll need some help."

"Coming!" he gave her a worried look. "You're sure you're fine?"

Miriam nodded again and watched him vanish up the stairs. She forced her legs to take her weight as she walked over to the screen door. Outlines of the beach were visible, dotted with signs of people. If Aaron was right the beach wouldn't be empty until late. Miriam bit her lip. Mers could only stay a week on land, two if they were lucky. By then, they would be too weak and dried out to withstand Shifting back, and doing so might kill them. If Miriam wanted to help her father, she'd go back to the beach tonight.

"Your room's ready," Aaron called from the bottom of the stairs. "Come on, I'll help you up."

She smiled at him gratefully as he helped her up the stairs. Even though the pain in her legs was bearable now, she was still worn from the Shift.

He led her up the stairs and down a hall to a bedroom at the end. From the window, Miriam could see the beach.

Jenna turned the blankets down. She pointed to a door on the oposite wall. "A bathroom is in there, if you need it, and holler if you need anything."

Miriam nodded and climbed into the bed. Later she'd wet her skin, after they had left, but for now, all she wanted was sleep. She pulled the blankets over herself and closed her eyes.

*Quick note- Jenna's probably the one to know about Mer*
A writer is a world trapped in a person— Victor Hugo

Ink is blood. Paper is bandages. The wounded press books to their heart to know they're not alone.

If you want something badly, you just gotta believe it's gonna work out.
— Andy, Parks & Rec