z

Young Writers Society

Tipping The Velvet {six}

202 Reviews

Reviews: 202
Mon Dec 29, 2008 9:13 pm
CastlesInTheSky says...

Chapter 6

Anne did not desire the following day to start, but it began without her consent when the sun rose and dappled her linen curtain with apologetic rays. Wiping sleep from her eyes, she sat up and walked to the breakfast table, where her mother was slicing a loaf of bread, her voluminous skirts spread out across a mahogany chair. She looked up and put down the knife.

“Good morning, Anne.”
“Good morning, Mother,” her daughter sighed, flopping into a chair and brushing her fingers absent-mindedly through her hair.

Mrs Lincombe extended a cup of tea. “Drink this,” she said. “Then we’ll have you ready to leave for the theatre.”

“But Mother. I thought I had already explained to you. I am not returning, Mother. I am not,” Anne burst out, her heartbeat quickening once more as the events of the previous day began to darken her morning.

Her mother expostulated. “Nonsense, Anne. I’ll hear no more of it. Go on with you. Don’t ye want to keep us in good fortune. If the money keeps ‘a comin’ in, we’ll soon be in the lap o’ luxury. Don’t ye want that, girl?”

“I do not want to obtain it through such a lowly manner,” replied Anne, trying not to let her frustration spill out. “Mr Murdoch is not a good man. You cannot make me do this against my will.”

Upon this her mother leapt up from her seat at the table, extracting a handkerchief from her breast pocket and pressing it against her mouth. “Oh...oh, it is too much,” she said, a sob escaping her chapped lips. “How could I imagine – your being my own daughter, an’ all, turning against me like that? Does ye want us thrown out on the streets – me in my condition, in my old age.”

Anne looked up at her, blinking with the shock. “Mother,” she started weakly, trying to assert whether the woman was employing theatricals or was sincere in her imploring. Had Anne been a girl more acquainted with worldly ruses, more inclined to believe the worst of everybody, then maybe she would have realised that her mother was merely toying with her emotions, making use of her daughter’s tractability.

“Mother...” she repeated, taking hold of Mrs Lincombe’s cold, rheumatoid hand. “I...I am not refusing you with an intention of causing you pain. Indeed, I would always want to care for you. But I cannot go back to Mr Murdoch.”

Mrs Lincombe let out a cry of dismay, tearing away from her daughter’s gentle grip and turning her hunched, buxom figure to the mantelpiece, upon which marble surface she laid her hands.

“See?” she admonished. “See how you talk to me? Plain cruelty, that’s what it is. Me own daughter...” and she wept dramatically into a handkerchief.

“Do not cry so, Mother!” said Anne, placing a hand on her mother’s woollen-clad back. “I cannot bear it.”

“Oh Anne,” wailed Mrs Lincombe. “I cannot fall back into pover’y again, girl, I can’t. Maybe...maybe it would be better if I were dead.” With that, she burst into melodramatic tears.

Anne heaved a heavy sigh which seemed to send a shudder through the entirety of her tiny frame. “Then I will go, Mother,” she said resignedly, seating herself in her chair and tapping her fingers nervously on the arm. “I will go.”

Her mother could not repress her eagerness at Anne’s agreement, and her tears magically seemed to dry on their own, upon her daughter’s statement. “A good decision, my girl,” she gabbled, nodding approvingly. “For your face is your fortune, and there’s no use in ‘a pretendin’ we’ve any other means of keepin’ ourselves in good stead.” Mrs Lincombe glanced at her daughter expectantly, as if she should be making a speech of the kind.

But Anne’s eyes were too full and her voice too choked to utter the sentiments that were nestling within her. “Yes,” she managed hoarsely, but her mother’s attention was too absorbed in the window for her to reprove Anne for not saying more.

“Come here, Anne,” she hissed, gesturing at the window sill. Mother and daughter peered into the diamond pane, surveying Coal Yard Alley. There, Anne saw a vehicle waiting at the edge of the road – the fine black carriage she had ridden in so many times before, varnished and equipped, horses standing alert. Mr Murdoch was driving it, for once.

Mrs Lincombe saw the swarthy, muscular man in fuller view for the first time, and smiled approvingly. Wearing a dandy cap, drab jacket, top hat, stiff white collar and brown driving gloves, an expensive cigar between his teeth, he seemed the picture of wealth.

“I do believe it’s yer fine gentlemen, come to take ye to the theatre hisself. It’ll make a nice change from you ‘aving to walk there every day.”

She looked pointedly at Anne. “Well? What are ye waitin’ fer?” She hustled her daughter along to the door, smoothing out her blue muslin gown and tidying her hair. “Get along with ye.”

Anne’s fragile, muslin form hurried down the stairs, while she tried to control the frenzied beating of her heart, threatening to leap up her throat and choke her. She attempted to restrain the fear building up within her, and took long, deep breaths, all the while inhaling the infamous coal dust.

Mrs Lincombe watched her daughter walk self-consciously to the carriage, standing on the ground, uncertain. Anne scuffed her satin boots on the ground, uncaring that they had been newly purchased with the help of Mr Murdoch’s money, of course. She cast her eyes down, refusing to look at the ‘benefactor.’ Her mother rested on the sill, watching the fine gentlemen urge Anne to ascend, helping her mount and seating her beside him. He cracked the whip, and in a moment they had turned the shoulder of the alley and were out of sight.

Mr Murdoch drove the carriage rapidly, his hands firmly gripping the reins, though most of his attention was directed at Anne. He fixated his stormy eyes on her during the entire course of the journey.

“Anne,” he began, in his deep, unfathomable voice, “Allow me to apologise for the events of yesterday evening. I did not mean to alarm you.”

Anne cast him a quick, crisp glance, and then turned her tealight eyes back to the cobblestones, refusing to favour him with so much as an answer.

“Come now,” said he, the tone of his voice so genteel it was almost patronizing. “Not even one kind word for me?”

Anne remained silent, pursing her lips and shifting as far away from him as the carriage seat would allow.

“A pity,” he remarked, “though I will content myself with admiring you. And what a pretty sight it is too. Anne, my dear, you really are a ravishing creature, aren’t you.”

Anne did not trust her lips to utter the correct words, as she could not work out in her head whether she liked being described so, nor could she make sense of Mr Murdoch’s ever changing temperament.

“And yet she remains silent,” he mused, pulling in the reins and bringing the horses to a standstill. “Et encore elle reste silencieuse. French. From ‘Pour L’Amour D’une Rose.’ Do you like poetry, Miss Lincombe?”

“I cannot say,” she shrugged. What did he care of her interests? Anne wanted to blurt out.

"I thought as much. I care not much for it myself." Seeing that she still remained quiet, he loudened his voice. "Anne, I have told you that I am sorry."

“It is no matter,” his young companion replied coldly, rendering her body stiff as Mr Murdoch descended from the carriage and lifted her down. Even though Anne had already started to despise him, she could not help feeling a guilty wave of pleasure wash over her as the powerful arms swept her up and deposited her effortlessly on the autumnal ground. Silently admonishing herself for harbouring such shameful feelings, she reluctantly took the proffered arm and accompanied Mr Murdoch along the path leading to the theatre.

Anne found herself shivering in the cold November wind, blowing stiffly into her small face. Has it really been a month? she wondered, thinking back to that cold October morning. She cast her mournful eyes upwards and saw clouds the deep grey of slate scudding overhead.

He led her through the great doors with a smile, the cynical humour that irked Anne so dancing in a corner of his mouth. He paid for the tickets at the box office and they took their seats in the audience just as the musicians were starting to tune up.

Wintry sunshine escaped into the room, the cream coloured walls glowing with light and the mahogany seats flowing deep red, like rich wine. James Murdoch caught a picture glimpse of Anne in that moment, her bare, un-painted lips tenderly parted in awe, the huge tea-sparked eyes in her small white face – eyes too large for beauty and yet so captivating, so bewitching. For a split second, his breath caught in his throat.

In the flaring stage lights, Mr Murdoch looked at Anne through his dark impenetrable eyes and smiled jauntily. “Maybe we hadn’t better see the play today, Miss Lincombe,” he said, reverting to his formal addressing of her name. “A drive, perhaps? The park is so peaceful this time of year.”

She shrugged, trying to remain calm. “Is...is your son not here today.”

He frowned, knitting his coarse eyebrows together. “No,” he said. “Besides, Henry dislikes these visits to the theatre, he has a contempt for acting. He’s out cavorting somewhere, just like every other young man in London these days.”

“Oh,” said Anne, trying to conceal the dismay that was pushing her heart down to the bottom of her lace-trimmed shoes.

Mr Murdoch drove them along the High Street in his carriage, shops and houses flashing past them, James Murdoch’s dark profile standing out as clearly as a head on an ancient coin – handsome, cruel, decadent. They circled the park, empty because of the cold weather, the wind whispering through leafless hazel bushes and bowed saplings. Mr Murdoch said nothing, the reins lax in his strong, swarthy hands.

“I should like to go home now, sir,” Anne said in the uncomfortable silence that unnerved her so, after Mr Murdoch’s never-ending string of unfathomable talk.

He turned towards her. “Of course you shall, my dear, in due time. It is a little early now, perhaps.”
James drew in the reins and stepped down abruptly from the carriage. “Get down, my dear,” he ordered, reaching up, catching the bird-like girl under the arms and swinging her down to the earthy ground beside him. He extended a crooked arm and they strolled along the side of the green, Mr Murdoch talking in a slow drawl. Anne seized the opportune moment and gathered up the courage to question him.

“Yesterday,” she started. “You made claims of...of knowing me, before. How is that possible?”
He smiled and his black eyes gleamed ingenuously. “I think you will find matters are a lot more tangled than they appear. Though I am not the person from whom you should hear it spoken. Although maybe if you would be a bit more affectionate...”

Anne smarted, but she knew not whether it was an effect of the biting wind turning her face raw, or Mr Murdoch’s words. “Sir,” she began, her voice cracking and breaking into pieces, the wind gathering it up and carrying it away into the slate-gray sky, “Sir, I know not why you are persisting in this manner. I thought...I thought we were merely friends.”

James stopped in his tracks and cast her a look inferring that he regarded her statement with most high disparagement. “Do not be foolish, Anne,” he said in a cool voice which cut deep into Anne even sharper than the cruelly blowing wind. “I think we know full well that – ”

“No,” Anne retorted firmly. “I know nothing of the matter. What happened last evening was a lie, and it...it never happened.”
Mr Murdoch caught her wrist and held it tightly; in that moment she knew he could break her, break every bone in her body if he wanted to, but for some strange reason she was not afraid, but weary. “How can you say that?” he asked in a menacing tone; it was half-hiss, half-sob. “I thought...How can you be so untrue to yourself, Anne?”
“I am always true to myself,” she enunciated, pulling away from him. “You are the only one making up lies.”

She drew her lace parasol shut and rested its tip on the ground. It was performed awkwardly, Anne not having been in possession of such an item for more than a week, and James’s maliciousness disappeared as he watched her in amusement, finding her ineptness endearing.

“You are quite charming, my dear,” he said, tipping her pointed chin upwards with a flick of his fingers. “Quite charming.”

Anne’s brain was swirling with confusion and panic overpowered her. “Do...do not mock me, sir.”
“Mock you? Me? Whoever heard of such a thing?” he asked, raising his eyebrows, though it was well apparent that his thoughts were elsewhere.

“Please, sir,” said Anne. She tried to keep her head clear by thinking; but thoughts eluded her, darting in and out of her mind like frightened, stunned hummingbirds.

“You don’t like me kissing you, do you, Anne?” Mr Murdoch asked. As Anne remained silent, he persisted, “Why?”

“I suppose...” she started, “It is because I do not love you.”

“You find me displeasing?” Mr Murdoch questioned.

Anne could not answer. James’ drawl was caressing as he stood towering over her tiny form, latently dangerous in his corpulent yet lazy frame.

“It is only that I do not love you, sir,” she murmured.

“Are you quite sure?” he asked, though obviously not expecting an answer. He abruptly pinched his cigar between his large white teeth, took a final drag and threw it into the soil, stubbing it out with his toe. His hand still lightly cupping her chin, he stared at her intently. Anne looked up at him openly, completely vulnerable in that moment; her thick eyebrows arching gently, creating a strange contrast against the ethereally white face which held an uncompromising air of dignity.

“Oh,” he murmured, overcome, and the next minute his powerful arms were encircling her tiny waist, Anne feeling like she were about to be snapped in two. A warm tide of emotion; bewildering and frightening, swept over her. She had never been less sure of her feelings, and the time, place and circumstances had vanished out of her mind.

The hard muscles of his thighs were barricading her body and the copper buttons of his drab coat pressing into her breast. She felt as weak and helpless as a limp ragdoll, and also inexpressibly weary, overcome by drowsiness and in that oblivion, ended up leaning against him for support.

“Please,” she murmured, feebly attempting to resist him, but her actions and body comportment made a strong contradiction to her words, which therefore made little impression.

Mr Murdoch was kissing her now, moustache and beard tickling her mouth, kissing her with strong, hot lips. Her body arched backwards as she clung for him to support yet tried to push him away.

“You belong to me,” he murmured, “We’re of the same kind. And you’re mine, Anne. Mine...”

Her swirling, darkened mind struggled to grapple with consciousness and then finally, chill sanity washed over her, and Anne suddenly realised the actuality of the situation.

Rage flew into her system, stiffening her spine. She twisted around James’ powerful grip, tearing away from him and choking down humiliation. He did not relinquish her waist, however, but instead continued walking in silence, as if nothing had happened. With every step Anne’s heart brimmed up with loathing, for Mr Murdoch, but most of all loathing for herself.
Last edited by CastlesInTheSky on Tue Dec 30, 2008 7:25 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Had I the heavens embroider'd cloths,
I would spread the cloths under your feet.
But I being poor, have only my dreams,
So tread softly, for you tread on my life.

42 Reviews

Reviews: 42
Mon Dec 29, 2008 10:16 pm
Ducati says...

I will totally review this when my brain wakes up. :D
When you look at your life, in a strange new room, maybe drowning soon, is this the start of it all?

695 Reviews

Reviews: 695
Tue Dec 30, 2008 1:37 am
Angel of Death says...

Hey Sarah!

I really really love this chapter! It was much improved as the others and I think you're finally grasping Anne's character. I like that you described the carriage rides because I feel that they do need to be described so as the reader can understand who James and Henry are as characters.

Speaking of James, I don't like him but then I love him. I mean, you make him so easy to hate, and hard not to love, he is so suave and debonair.
“And yet she remains silent,” he mused, pulling in the reins and bringing the horses to a standstill. “Et encore elle reste silencieuse. French. From ‘Pour L’Amour D’une Rose.’ Do you like poetry, Miss Lincombe?”

This just made me cry a little. Twas a beautiful piece of dialog.

Mrs. Lincombe is also a very well developed character. One thing you must watch is that you don't make her more developed then Anne, understand? I say this only because Anne is supposed to be our MC and I don't want the spotlight to drift away from her, she is such a beautiful character. ^_^

There were a few nit-picks:
She drew her lace parasol shut and rested its tip on the ground. It was performed awkwardly, Anne not having been in possession of such an item for more than a week, and Henry’s maliciousness disappeared as he watched her in amusement, finding her ineptness endearing.

I found this bit just a tad confusing, dear. Where did Henry come from? Maybe I'm reading this wrong but I am just a little confused.

Gah! There was something else but I forget what it was. It wasn't major, so someone else will possibly pick it up.

Rage flew into her system, stiffening her spine. She twisted around James’ powerful grip, tearing away from him and choking down humiliation. He did not relinquish her waist, however, but instead continued walking in silence, as if nothing that happened. With every step Anne’s heart brimmed up with loathing, for Mr Murdoch, but most of all loathing for herself.

I like the way you ended this chapter. Well written ending.

All in all, this story is getting better and better and I'm glad I didn't stop at the first chapter. Hope you continue to do such a phenomenal job with this story.

Ta,

~Angel
True love, in all it’s celestial charm, and
star-crossed ways, only exist in a writer’s
mind, for humans have not yet learned
how to manifest it.

228 Reviews

Reviews: 228
Tue Dec 30, 2008 12:03 pm
Meep(: says...

That was awesome.
Just wow. Beautifully written and ended off.
Please PM when the next chapter is out! :)
~Liverpool F.C Supporter~
"You'll never walk alone"

202 Reviews

Tue Dec 30, 2008 12:37 pm
CastlesInTheSky says...

Thanks so much for critiquing, Angel! Your comments are so lovely and apt, they are really helpful when I edit each chapter.
Thanks for reading, Meep. I'm glad you enjoyed it. (:
Take your time, Ducati. :wink:

Oh by the way - Henry wasn't in the carriage. :lol: I keep confusing his name with James. I meant James, when I said Henry. Anyway, it's edited now.

Thanks everyone!

-Sarah

273 Reviews

Reviews: 273
Tue Dec 30, 2008 8:14 pm
Lost_in_dreamland says...

Chapter 6

Anne did not desire the following day to start, but it began without her consent when the sun rose and dappled her linen curtain with apologetic rays.1 Wiping sleep from her eyes, she sat up and walked to the breakfast table, where her mother was slicing a loaf of bread, her voluminous skirts spread out across a mahogany chair. She looked up and put down the knife.2

“Good morning, Anne.”

“Good morning, Mother,” her daughter sighed, flopping into a chair and brushing her fingers absent-mindedly through her hair.

Mrs Lincombe extended a cup of tea. “Drink this,” she said. “Then we’ll have you ready to leave for the theatre.”

“But Mother. I thought I had already explained to you. I am not returning, Mother. I am not,” Anne burst out, her heartbeat quickening once more as the events of the previous day began to darken her morning.

Her mother expostulated. “Nonsense, Anne. I’ll hear no more of it. Go on with you. Don’t ye want to keep us in good fortune. If the money keeps ‘a comin’ in, we’ll soon be in the lap o’ luxury. Don’t ye want that, girl?” 3

“I do not want to obtain it through such a lowly manner,” replied Anne, trying not to let her frustration spill out. “Mr Murdoch is not a good man. You cannot make me do this against my will.”

Upon this her mother leapt up from her seat at the table, extracting a handkerchief from her breast pocket and pressing it against her mouth. “Oh...oh, it is too much,” she said, a sob escaping her chapped lips. “How could I imagine – your being my own daughter, an’ all, turning against me like that? Does ye want us thrown out on the streets – me in my condition, in my old age.” 4

Anne looked up at her, blinking with the shock. “Mother,” she started weakly, trying to assert whether the woman was employing theatricals or was sincere in her imploring.5 Had Anne been a girl more acquainted with worldly ruses, more inclined to believe the worst of everybody, then maybe she would have realised that her mother was merely toying with her emotions, making use of her daughter’s tractability.6

“Mother...” she repeated, taking hold of Mrs Lincombe’s cold, rheumatoid hand. “I...I am not refusing you with an intention of causing you pain. Indeed, I would always want to care for you. But I cannot go back to Mr Murdoch.”

Mrs Lincombe let out a cry of dismay, tearing away from her daughter’s gentle grip and turning her hunched, buxom figure to the mantelpiece, upon which marble surface she laid her hands.

“See?” she admonished. “See how you talk to me? Plain cruelty, that’s what it is. Me own daughter...” and she wept dramatically into a handkerchief.

“Do not cry so, Mother!” said Anne, placing a hand on her mother’s woollen-clad back. “I cannot bear it.”

“Oh Anne,” wailed Mrs Lincombe. “I cannot fall back into pover’y again, girl, I can’t. Maybe...maybe it would be better if I were dead.” With that, she burst into melodramatic tears.

Anne heaved a heavy sigh which seemed to send a shudder through the entirety of her tiny frame. “Then I will go, Mother,” she said resignedly, seating herself in her chair and tapping her fingers nervously on the arm. “I will go.”

Her mother could not repress her eagerness at Anne’s agreement, and her tears magically seemed to dry on their own, upon her daughter’s statement. “A good decision, my girl,” she gabbled, nodding approvingly. “For your face is your fortune, and there’s no use in ‘a pretendin’ we’ve any other means of keepin’ ourselves in good stead.” Mrs Lincombe glanced at her daughter expectantly, as if she should be making a speech of the kind.

But Anne’s eyes were too full and her voice too choked to utter the sentiments that were nestling within her. “Yes,” she managed hoarsely, but her mother’s attention was too absorbed in the window for her to reprove Anne for not saying more.

“Come here, Anne,” she hissed, gesturing at the window sill. Mother and daughter peered into the diamond pane, surveying Coal Yard Alley. There, Anne saw a vehicle waiting at the edge of the road – the fine black carriage she had ridden in so many times before, varnished and equipped, horses standing alert. Mr Murdoch was driving it, for once.

Mrs Lincombe saw the swarthy, muscular man in fuller view for the first time, and smiled approvingly. Wearing a dandy cap, drab jacket, top hat, stiff white collar and brown driving gloves, an expensive cigar between his teeth, he seemed the picture of wealth.

“I do believe it’s yer fine gentlemen, come to take ye to the theatre hisself. It’ll make a nice change from you ‘aving to walk there every day.”

She looked pointedly at Anne. “Well? What are ye waitin’ fer?” She hustled her daughter along to the door, smoothing out her blue muslin gown and tidying her hair. “Get along with ye.”

Anne’s fragile, muslin form hurried down the stairs, while she tried to control the frenzied beating of her heart, threatening to leap up her throat and choke her. She attempted to restrain the fear building up within her, and took long, deep breaths, all the while inhaling the infamous coal dust.

Mrs Lincombe watched her daughter walk self-consciously to the carriage, standing on the ground, uncertain. Anne scuffed her satin boots on the ground, uncaring that they had been newly purchased with the help of Mr Murdoch’s money, of course. She cast her eyes down, refusing to look at the ‘benefactor.’ Her mother rested on the sill, watching the fine gentlemen urge Anne to ascend, helping her mount and seating her beside him. He cracked the whip, and in a moment they had turned the shoulder of the alley and were out of sight.

Mr Murdoch drove the carriage rapidly, his hands firmly gripping the reins, though most of his attention was directed at Anne. He fixated his stormy eyes on her during the entire course of the journey.

“Anne,” he began, in his deep, unfathomable voice, “Allow me to apologise for the events of yesterday evening. I did not mean to alarm you.”

Anne cast him a quick, crisp glance, and then turned her tealight eyes back to the cobblestones, refusing to favour him with so much as an answer. 6

“Come now,” said he, the tone of his voice so genteel it was almost patronizing. “Not even one kind word for me?”7

Anne remained silent, pursing her lips and shifting as far away from him as the carriage seat would allow.

“A pity,” he remarked, 8 “though I will content myself with admiring you. And what a pretty sight it is too. Anne, my dear, you really are a ravishing creature, aren’t you.”9

Anne did not trust her lips to utter the correct words, as she could not work out in her head whether she liked being described so, nor could she make sense of Mr Murdoch’s ever changing temperament.

“And yet she remains silent,” he mused, pulling in the reins 10 and bringing the horses to a standstill. “Et encore elle reste silencieuse. French. From ‘Pour L’Amour D’une Rose.’ Do you like poetry, Miss Lincombe?”11

“I cannot say,” she shrugged. What did he care of her interests? Anne wanted to blurt out.

"I thought as much. I care not much for it myself." Seeing that she still remained quiet, he loudened his voice. "Anne, I have told you that I am sorry."

“It is no matter,” his young companion replied coldly, rendering her body stiff as Mr Murdoch descended from the carriage and lifted her down. Even though Anne had already started to despise him, she could not help feeling a guilty wave of pleasure wash over her as the powerful arms swept her up and deposited her effortlessly on the autumnal ground. Silently admonishing herself for harbouring such shameful feelings, she reluctantly took the proffered arm and accompanied Mr Murdoch along the path leading to the theatre.

Anne found herself shivering in the cold November wind, blowing stiffly into her small face. Has it really been a month? she wondered, thinking back to that cold October morning. She cast her mournful eyes upwards and saw clouds the deep grey of slate scudding overhead.

He led her through the great doors with a smile, the cynical humour that irked Anne so dancing in a corner of his mouth. He paid for the tickets at the box office and they took their seats in the audience just as the musicians were starting to tune up.

Wintry sunshine escaped into the room, the cream coloured walls glowing with light and the mahogany seats flowing deep red, like rich wine. James Murdoch caught a picture glimpse of Anne in that moment, her bare, un-painted lips tenderly parted in awe, the huge tea-sparked eyes in her small white face – eyes too large for beauty and yet so captivating, so bewitching. For a split second, his breath caught in his throat.13

In the flaring stage lights, Mr Murdoch looked at Anne through his dark impenetrable eyes and smiled jauntily. “Maybe we hadn’t better see the play today, Miss Lincombe,” he said, reverting to his formal addressing of her name. “A drive, perhaps? The park is so peaceful this time of year.”

She shrugged, trying to remain calm. “Is...is your son not here today.”

He frowned, knitting his coarse eyebrows together. “No,” he said. “Besides, Henry dislikes these visits to the theatre, he has a contempt for acting. He’s out cavorting somewhere, just like every other young man in London these days.”

“Oh,” said Anne, trying to conceal the dismay that was pushing her heart down to the bottom of her lace-trimmed shoes.

Mr Murdoch drove them along the High Street in his carriage, shops and houses flashing past them, James Murdoch’s15 dark profile standing out as clearly as a head on an ancient coin – handsome, cruel, decadent. They circled the park, empty because of the cold weather, the wind whispering through leafless hazel bushes and bowed saplings. Mr Murdoch said nothing, the reins16 lax in his strong, swarthy hands.

“I should like to go home now, sir,” Anne said in the uncomfortable silence that unnerved her so, after Mr Murdoch’s never-ending string of unfathomable talk.

He turned towards her. “Of course you shall, my dear, in due time. It is a little early now, perhaps.”

James drew in the reins 17 and stepped down abruptly from the carriage. “Get down, my dear,” he ordered, reaching up, catching the bird-like girl under the arms and swinging her down to the earthy ground beside him. He extended a crooked arm and they strolled along the side of the green, Mr Murdoch talking in a slow drawl. Anne seized the opportune moment and gathered up the courage to question him.18

“Yesterday,” she started. “You made claims of...of knowing me, before. How is that possible?” 19

He smiled and his black eyes gleamed ingenuously. “I think you will find matters are a lot more tangled than they appear. Though I am not the person from whom you should hear it spoken. Although maybe if you would be a bit more affectionate...”

Anne smarted, but she knew not whether it was an effect of the biting wind turning her face raw, or Mr Murdoch’s words. “Sir,” she began, her voice cracking and breaking into pieces, the wind gathering it up and carrying it away into the slate-gray sky, “Sir, I know not why you are persisting in this manner. I thought...I thought we were merely friends.”

James stopped in his tracks and cast her a look inferring that he regarded her statement with most high disparagement. “Do not be foolish, Anne,” he said in a cool voice which cut deep into Anne even sharper than the cruelly blowing wind. “I think we know full well that – ” 20

“No,” Anne retorted firmly. “I know nothing of the matter. What happened last evening was a lie, and it...it never happened.”

Mr Murdoch caught her wrist and held it tightly; in that moment she knew he could break her, break every bone in her body if he wanted to, but for some strange reason she was not afraid, but weary. “How can you say that?” he asked in a menacing tone; it was half-hiss, half-sob. “I thought...How can you be so untrue to yourself, Anne?”

“I am always true to myself,” she enunciated, pulling away from him. “You are the only one making up lies.” 21

She drew her lace parasol shut and rested its tip on the ground. It was performed awkwardly, Anne not having been in possession of such an item for more than a week, and James’s maliciousness disappeared as he watched her in amusement, finding her ineptness endearing.

“You are quite charming, my dear,” he said, tipping her pointed chin upwards with a flick of his fingers. “Quite charming.”

Anne’s brain was swirling with confusion and panic overpowered her. “Do...do not mock me, sir.”

“Mock you? Me? Whoever heard of such a thing?” he asked, raising his eyebrows, though it was well apparent that his thoughts were elsewhere.

“Please, sir,” said Anne. She tried to keep her head clear by thinking; but thoughts eluded her, darting in and out of her mind like frightened, stunned hummingbirds.

“You don’t like me kissing you, do you, Anne?” Mr Murdoch asked. As Anne remained silent, he persisted, “Why?”

“I suppose...” she started, “It is because I do not love you.”

“You find me displeasing?” Mr Murdoch questioned.

Anne could not answer. James’ drawl was caressing as he stood towering over her tiny form, latently dangerous in his corpulent yet lazy frame.

“It is only that I do not love you, sir,” she murmured.

“Are you quite sure?” he asked, though obviously not expecting an answer. He abruptly pinched his cigar between his large white teeth, took a final drag and threw it into the soil, stubbing it out with his toe. His hand still lightly cupping her chin, he stared at her intently. Anne looked up at him openly, completely vulnerable in that moment; her thick eyebrows arching gently, creating a strange contrast against the ethereally white face which held an uncompromising air of dignity.

“Oh,” he murmured, overcome, and the next minute his powerful arms were encircling her tiny waist, Anne feeling like she were about to be snapped in two. A warm tide of emotion; bewildering and frightening, swept over her. She had never been less sure of her feelings, and the time, place and circumstances had vanished out of her mind.

The hard muscles of his thighs were barricading her body and the copper buttons of his drab coat pressing into her breast. She felt as weak and helpless as a limp ragdoll, and also inexpressibly weary, overcome by drowsiness and in that oblivion, ended up leaning against him for support.

“Please,” she murmured, feebly attempting to resist him, but her actions and body comportment made a strong contradiction to her words, which therefore made little impression.

Mr Murdoch was kissing her now, moustache and beard tickling her mouth, kissing her with strong, hot lips.22 Her body arched backwards as she clung for him to support yet tried to push him away.

“You belong to me,” he murmured, “We’re of the same kind. And you’re mine, Anne. Mine...”

Her swirling, darkened mind struggled to grapple with consciousness and then finally, chill sanity washed over her, and Anne suddenly realised the actuality of the situation.

Rage flew into her system, stiffening her spine. She twisted around James’ powerful grip, tearing away from him and choking down humiliation. He did not relinquish her waist, however, but instead continued walking in silence, as if nothing that happened. With every step Anne’s heart brimmed up with loathing, for Mr Murdoch, but most of all loathing for herself.23

This chapter was brilliant Sarah, it really was beautiful. it is getting better and better as it goes on, the time period is also getting stronger and stronger :) I can really tell it's the 1800's now. Not that you couldn't at the start, but it is blatantly obvious now xD This is a really great thing though, Sarah. You haven't ever lived in the 1800's *I hope or you're not telling me something* and yet you portray it excellently. Then, you have so many layers of planning all the characters are perfect, the mother and daughter have great contrast, whilst still getting along, they all have different personalities and contrast, but they're perfect. Sarah, it's like, it's like..... Wuthering Heights, seriously, there's not really anything else I can describe it to that compares the levels of layers and perfection xD really, Sarah, it is incredible. Absolutely and utterly, completely and truly.

Mr Murdoch
Is Mr Murdoch completely evil? Or maybe he does love Anne =. I think he does, to some extent, but maybe he doesn't know how to show it proplerly. He is evil though. Horribly evil, yet excellently written. Like previously mentioned, he is so urbane. Basically, he's written perfectly. But he's an idiot and I want to kill him :) or maybe that deserves a more sinister face :twisted:

Mother
I hate her just now. She is horrible too. I know something everybody else here doesn't. Hehehehhehehehe *evil face* eh, Watson ? She still loves her daughter, but she was so mean to her. Hereby I declare my hatred for her, and remove myself from liking her until further chapters where I may choose to redeem her.

Anne
Anne is strong. But she's not. She's vulnerable and strong, and this makes her even more enigmatic a character.

HENRY !!!
ZOMG Henry is like the hawtest, like... like totally like like yeah, like y'no we like dont need proper like liek gramr like ya no cuz like ZOMG ZOMG Henry is like like liike so so so sosoooooo soooooo sooooo soooooooo so like like like hawt and like OMG HENRY MURDOCH I LOVE YOU XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

HENRY MURDOCH BAAAAAAAYBAAAY ALWAYS AND FOREVEEEEER.

HAWTESTTTT EVER MAAAAN !!!!!!!!!!!

xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Back to topic :

1. Really nice first line, Sarah. Beautiful imagery xD

2. Wonderful description.

3. D'ya think it should be gel instead of girl?

4. Evil I tell thee. Evil. Read my wonderful mother for more information :lol: *evil laughs*

5. Perfect phrasing. Very Charlotte Bronte ;)

6. See 4 :D

7. That man sure can talk. He may be a corrupt idiot, but he's so genteel. (whilst talking)

8. though should be capitalized.

9. See what I mean about knowing how to talk ? :lol:

10. reins should be reigns

11. Really, really good description. xD

13. That's what I mean about him loving her, even though he's an idiot and great description again xD

15. Why does he suddenly become James Murdoch instead of Mr Murdoch ? I gets confused.........?

16. reigns

17. reigns

18. I love your way of using oportune moment instead of opportunity ;)

19 + 20.Why are you so mean to me? I want to know more, now, Sarah, now :twisted: :lol:

21. No, Anne, don't lie :'( She's not always true to herself, is she?

22. Yeuch, beardy :(

23. Great ending xD

This was great Sarah ;)

Only one last thing to say:

H E N R Y M U R D O C H I S T H E H O T T E S T

XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

http://henrymurdochishot.wetpaint.com/
for what are we without words and stories?

202 Reviews

Tue Dec 30, 2008 8:31 pm
CastlesInTheSky says...

Thanks so much Kirsten! :D
To everybody reading: No, Kirsten hasn't suddenly become a crazed with Edward Cullen type fangirl. It's a long story, but she ended up creating a website in Henry Murdoch's honour. Personal joke. ^_^
x

42 Reviews

Reviews: 42
Tue Dec 30, 2008 11:29 pm
View Likes
Ducati says...

First off, the mother is awesome. I love the dialogue. Reminds me of, well I can't quite remember. BUt of something very funny.
With that, she burst into melodramatic tears.

Just a little nitpick, we already can tell she's being melodramatic, don't patronise the reader.

all the while inhaling the infamous coal dust.
It is infamous? I've never heard of it being mentioned before. Does it come from the sky, on the wings of angels? Ahem, well, this is just confusing a bit.

It is no matter,” his young companion replied coldly,
This confused me. At one moment she is treating him with contempt, the next she is telling him it does not matter. What changes her mind to suck up to him?

She cast her mournful eyes
I would hardly think they are mournful, doesn't fit the mood at all. What is she mourning?

The switches between James Murdoch and Mr Murdoch are very confusing. They are the same person right? If they are, just pick one name and stick to it. If not, make it a little more obvious.

Do...do not mock me, sir.”
Oh this is just like a line from Jane Eyre. I love it. In fact the relationship so far bears some similarites. Must be why I like it.

James’ drawl was caressing as he stood towering over her tiny form, latently dangerous in his corpulent yet lazy frame.
Too. Many. Words. I care a lot about what is about to happen, finding out the secret, but this sentence is so over done, when usually reading I would skip it.

With every step Anne’s heart brimmed up with loathing, for Mr Murdoch, but most of all loathing for herself.
Great finishing line.

I adored this chapter. The conversation with the mother hooked me in, and the emotions that it brought forth were very vivid. I had a hard time picking things out. But my only problem is that the chapters so far have been quite repetitive, Anne goign to the theater, meeting Mr. Murdoch etc. But, contrasting this to the first chapter, you can see it has come along by leaps and bounds. Two thumbs up.
When you look at your life, in a strange new room, maybe drowning soon, is this the start of it all?

202 Reviews

Fri Jan 02, 2009 11:42 am
CastlesInTheSky says...

Oh, thanks so much for the critique, Ducati. :D I love your critiques so much I re-read them about ten times a day to make sure I didn't skip anything. Anyway, it was well worth the wait, and I'm glad you enjoyed it.
-Sarah

514 Reviews

Reviews: 514
Sat Jan 03, 2009 8:26 pm
JC says...

Anne did not desire the following day to start

This is awkwardly worded, and at first I had to spend a while making sense of it.

Upon this her mother leapt up from her seat at the table, extracting a handkerchief from her breast pocket and pressing it against her mouth.

Tense issues in this.
While you are doing better on characterization, there is still something missing. What does she want? How is she going to get it? Right now she is just a weak character going along with the whims and desires of those around her. Nobody wants to read about a weak character. Give her strength, courage, desires and passions of her own. Then she will just come alive.

Anne's Mother:
This was really not a good chapter for her mother. It really made me dislike her, but more than that, it made me dislike Anne. Because again, Anne was weak, folly to her mother's crocodile tears. Her mom can just cry and get her way? What does her mother do other than that?

Mr. Murdoch:
Okay...so is it Mr Murdoch or James? I was so confused for so much of the chapter that I just stopped caring and read.

:idea: You need to introduce your characters and distinguish them. I still don't know who Henry is, I might have seem him once. Anne's fried has disappeared, so have the other orange girls. It's like you introduce characters and they're gone before the reader even knows who they are and it just becomes work to read and figure everything out. That's not a good thing.

Plot:
As with characters, not much is happening. Sure, Mr Murdoch kissed her, but it hasn't inspired anything but passive rage in Anne. Things are randomly happening, and nothing is being inspired. What is the point? Why am I reading this other than to critique and hopefully help you some.

What are the readers supposed to get from this?

Overall:
It seems to me like you have problems with development. Both with characters and plot. You introduce things and the next second they're gone. Nothing is tied together, and there are a lot of loose ends to work with. You need to think things through. You're the writer, it's your job to know what you're doing and what is happening. It is not the readers job to try and figure it out.

However, I love your writing style and will continue. Hopefully you'll take control of your words and help Anne take control of her life.

-JC
But that is not the question. Why we are here, that is the question. And we are blessed in this, that we happen to know the answer. Yes, in this immense confusion one thing alone is clear. We are waiting for Godot to come. -Beckett

Some call me a legacy, others call me a hero. But I assure you, dear admirers, I am only human.
— Persistence