z

Young Writers Society

Working Title: Cat Steps

1272 Reviews

Reviews: 1272
Sat Dec 13, 2008 2:36 pm
Rosendorn says...

Well, I didn't like the way Heart of a Leopard was going, so I changed the beginning 100% (reason the title has changed).

Enjoy!

And a note to all future critiquers- Feel free to be harsh.

~~~~~~~~~~~

Chapter 1

Kerani of Shira watched the dry, desolate land go by through a gold mesh screen, a silk canopy above her head, the world rocking slightly from the gate of her elephant. Up ahead her half-sister and stepmother occupied another elephant; behind was a train of their possessions. Kerani thanked them for the dust caked on her skin and the grit in her hair. Her half-sister Ranya for being chosen as the Crown Prince’s bride, her stepmother for making Kerani come along to “protect” the bride-to-be. It didn’t matter that Ranya was fourteen, only a year younger then Kerani. It didn’t matter that once they were inside the palace Ranya would be guarded all day, every day. No, she still needed her mother and her sister to keep her “safe.”

A gust of wind blew more dirt in her face. Curse this drought! Kerani coughed, praying they'd reach Shenora today. The capital of Kemmer didn’t move, had places to take baths and, it was supposed to be green-- Unlike the rest of the country.

She tried to rub grit out of her eyes. Only the Phoenix knew why they had to make this trip now. Autumn wind was constantly blowing, kicking up dust storms that turned villages into ghost towns.

Kerani shook her head when she realized what had just gone through her mind. The Phoenix was the goddess of the day and dry season. If anything, Lung should be on her mind. They needed the god of the rain and night more then ever. She knew from her brother, Hasin that the farmable land was shrinking and the food stores were starting to exhaust themselves. Kemmer was just too big, and the drought was severe.

A thrill of joy went down her nerves. Ranya’s. Something was exciting her half-sister to the point of near hysteria.

Kerani glanced out of her silken cage. Tital Bay was visible in the east. Normally she would have groaned at anything her half-sister found exciting, but there was something about the waves rippling across the water that was oddly hypnotic. She sighed. Tital Bay was beautiful, but it wasn’t the mountains of Hurime. Kerani hoped she’d be able to go back home— and soon.

Ranya's squeal cut through the silence. Kerani sighed and looked ahead, taking her eyes away from the water. The palace was now in sight, a gray pearl on the highest point of Wing Plateau.

The dome was the first thing she saw. It crowned the place like a fat teardrop. The only other thing she could see from far was the outer wall. A tower marked each corner, each topped by the same dome as the palace. A dark blotch along one wall showed where the gate was. She’d heard that the courtyards of the palace were so big that markets were held inside for the nobles.

Kerani tuned out her magic as excitement grew around her. They were going through the city now, and people were starting to gather. Every single one of them wanted to catch a glimpse of the splendour the Imperial Bride was arriving in, even if they couldn’t see her through the screen. Kerani relaxed in the shadow of her half-sister. Nobody was cheering for her, and she didn’t mind. After hearing Ranya fret for almost a year, Kerani was glad she wasn’t getting married.

On a whim she looked outside. Green vines grew on the sides of houses, new shoots were springing up in gardens, the wind carried the scent of roses, jasmine and lavender. Kerani had heard Shenora received the normal three months of rain that summer, despite the drought. She hadn’t believed it until now.

The cheering was soon drowned out by a loud groan. The gates of the palace were opening. Kerani knew Ranya was quivering with excitement. Kerani had to admit she was too. The two-week trip was finally drawing to a close.

It was several minutes before they reached the gates. A bar of shadow marked the difference between the outside world and the palace world. They passed by servants waiting to take their possessions down shadowed hallways. Another gate was on the other side of the courtyard. It was in much better condition then the outer one; the doors were freshly stained, the hinges polished mirror-bright.

Another bar of shadow, another change. This time from the servant’s world to the noble’s. The walls and floor were marble; shade-structures had been built on two sides of the courtyard. Kerani noticed a man standing under one of them as her elephant knelt. She dismounted slowly, unsure who it was. She tuned into her magic and detected a faint trace of familiarity, but she couldn’t place it. Ranya placed it for her.

“Hasin!” Her half-sister ran to him and jumped into his arms. Kerani watched with a twinge of jealousy. Hasin was her brother. She was the one who was supposed to jump into his arms, not her half-sister. She watched her stepmother fawn over him like he was her son. Ranya was still hanging onto his neck. Hasin was the top Counsel member at only twenty-two. He headed almost every project related to the drought. Most of them were his ideas. Kerani was the only one there related to him by blood, and now she was the one left out of this ‘family’ gathering.

“Kerani!” Hasin called, “Don’t you want to see me?”

She smiled and ran over. He hadn’t forgotten her after all. Before she could say anything he let go of Ranya and hugged her. Kerani wrapped her arms around him and buried her face in his shoulder. Phoenix, she had missed him.

“Cat,” he whispered, using her old nickname, “I have to talk to you.”

Ranya interrupted before Kerani could respond. “Aren’t you supposed to take us to our rooms?”

Hasin sighed and let her go. “You’re very right. Lady Ranya, Lady Vyoma, Lady Kerani,” he used her full title just to irk her, she could tell by the twinkle in his eyes. “If you will follow me?”

Lady Vyoma crossed her arms. “You’re just as bad as Kerani. I keep telling you two, call me Mother.”

Hasin bowed. “Whatever you say, Lady Mother.”

Lady Vyoma shook her head and followed him down the hall. Kerani ran her tongue over her teeth. Had she said that her stepmother would have reacted very differently. Her brother had no idea how lucky he was. She didn’t bother to tell him. He wouldn’t understand.

It was a short walk to Lady Vyoma’s rooms. Ranya’s rooms were just down the hall. They were carved with the Phoenix.

“Hasin,” Ranya gasped, “You don’t mean— I get the Empress’s rooms now? I’m not even the Princess yet!”

Hasin nodded. “That you do, sister. And just in case you need anything, Kerani’s rooms are across the hall, and if you want to see me personally, send a message.”

Ranya nodded and disappeared into her new suite. Kerani sensed the ripples of sheer wonder from her half-sister.
“You’ve done it now,” Kerani grumbled, “She’s already acting like a princess. Now you’ve got her in the Empress’s suite!”

Hasin unlocked the door across the hall. “Don’t look at me! The Emperor decreed she have those rooms. And consider yourself lucky you’re across the hall. You almost got adjoining rooms.”

She shuddered. “A-adjoining rooms? And who—or what— prevented that?”

He smiled. “Me.”

Kerani rolled her eyes. “Of course,” she followed him into her rooms, “What did you want to talk to me about?”

He closed the door. “How much can you do with your magic now?”

She sat on a nearby chair. “Enough,” she narrowed her eyes, “Why do you ask?”

“Would it be possible for you to sense how the earth is doing around Shenora? The crops are starting to fail even here. Maybe if we knew what fields were best for what plants—”

“Absolutely not,” she snapped, “I refuse to be a simple tool to further your carrier.”

He ran his fingers through his hair. “You haven’t changed, I see. Listen, this isn’t for me. Kemmer need this. The people need this. If you could help with crop rotation, we might be able to last another year. The drought’s only gone on for four— no drought has lasted longer then that. All we need is one— maybe two more years. The palace mages are useless for this stuff, and since you’ve been able to sense things so well…” he trailed off, waiting for her response.

Kerani shook her head. “What then? If others find out I can sense people and emotions I’ll never have peace. Everybody will want me to sit as a shadow in debates, just so they can know what the other person feels. That’s cheating! If you know a person’s weakness like that, you can do who knows what. I won’t go there. You of all people should know that.”

He sighed. “I do know that. I just hoped that you’d see how much this would help everybody. I know how much you hate to see the land dying like this.”

She bit her lip. He was right, she did hate to see the land like this. “If you can find a way to keep this secret, I’ll do it. But I’ve never done that sort of thing. I don’t know how far my powers will go into the land. I can only sense people within twenty feet.”

“But you’ll try?”

Kerani got up and nodded. “But only after you find a way to cover your sources.”

He hugged her again. “Thank you. I promise I’ll find a way to keep this secret.”

She stretched and changed the subject. “Do you know where the women’s bath house is? I have been looking forward to hot water since we left Hurime.”

Hasin smiled. “Check your bathroom. The Emperor thought you’d all be a little travel-weary. He arranged—”

“Hasin?” she cut him off, “you can leave now.”

He laughed and left, closing the door behind him. Kerani walked around the bed to the second door in her room. A tub filled with steaming hot water was waiting for her in the bathroom. Next to it was everything she would need, including a cotton robe, and a plate of fruit. She smiled. The Emperor knew how to make an trip have a worthwhile ending.

She stripped and lowered herself into the water. All she would have to do after this was make sure her belongings were put in her room properly. The rest of the evening would be hers. She tilted her head back and let the past two weeks drift away from her memory.
Last edited by Rosendorn on Sat Dec 13, 2008 4:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
A writer is a world trapped in a person— Victor Hugo

Ink is blood. Paper is bandages. The wounded press books to their heart to know they're not alone.

202 Reviews

Reviews: 202
Sat Dec 13, 2008 3:20 pm
CastlesInTheSky says...

Here as requested! :D

Up ahead her half-sister and stepmother occupied another elephant, behind was a train of their possessions.

Replace the comma with a semi-colon, it makes more sense.

Kerani thanked them for the dust caked on her skin and grit in her hair.

Insert 'the' before 'grit.'

It didn’t matter that Ranya was only a year younger then Kerani’s fifteen years.

This reads a bit clunky. I think you should take out the whole 'fifteen years' so it simply reads:, 'It didn't matter that Ranya was only a year young than Kerani.'
If you can't find anywhere else to put Kerani's age, why not try, 'It didn’t matter that Ranya was only a year younger then fifteen year old Kerani.'
Yeah. I think that sounds better.

It didn’t matter that once they were inside the palace Ranya would be guarded all day, every day.

Comma after palace.

A gust of wind blew more dust in her face.

There's an unintended rhyme of 'gust' and 'dust' in here, which makes it read a bit silly. Change 'gust' to 'puff' or 'spur' or something like that.

Curse this drought!

This should be in italics as it's her thoughts, presumably.

Kerani coughed and prayed that they would reach Shenora today.

Personal preference, but I think you should change it to, 'Kerani coughed, praying that they would reach Shenora today.' Otherwise, it makes it seem like the coughing and the praying are connected.

The capital of Kemmer was supposed to be green, it didn’t move and it had places to take baths.

Doesn't make that much sense. Break it up and rephrase it as: The capital of Kemmer was supposed to be green. Apparently, it didn’t move and it had places to take baths in.

Kerani shook her head when she realized what she had just thought.

Would make more sense as 'when she realized what had just gone through her mind.'

Kemmer was just too big, and the drought was too severe.

The 'too' in front of 'severe' is redundant. Nix?

A thrill of joy went down her nerves.

I'm not sure what you mean by this. I don't see how a thrill of joy can go down someone's nerves. Did you mean that a thrill of joy defeated her nerves? Or did you simply mean something like, a thrill of joy sped through her body. Something like that.

Ranya’s.

I'm not sure why you're using an apostrophe here. Don't you just mean 'Ranya' ?

Something was exiting her half-sister to the point of near hysteria.

Exciting has a 'c' after the 'x'.

Normally she would have groaned at anything her half-sister found exiting, but there was something about the waves rippling across the water that was oddly hypnotic.

See above edit on the spelling of 'exciting.'

Tital by was beautiful, but it wasn’t the mountains of Hurime.

Don't you mea, 'Tital Bay' ?

Ranya’s again!

Again, don't you just mean, 'Ranya' ?

She’d heard that the courtyards of the palace were so big markets were held inside for the nobles.

Insert 'that' before 'markets'. You'll see what I mean.

Kerani tuned out her magic as excitement grew around her.

Tuned out her magic?

Every single one of them wanted to catch a glimpse at the splendour the Imperial Bride was arriving in, even if they couldn’t see her through the screen.

'At' should be 'of'. You don't catch a glimpse at something, you catch it of something. Oh and I think the second part would make more sense if you rephrased as 'even if they couldn't see the lady herself through the screen,' or something like that. I know what you mean, but it's a bit ambiguous.

Kerani had heard Shenora had gotten the normal three months of rain that summer despite the drought.

'Gotten' is bad English. Replace with 'received' or something like that. :D

Kerani could just imagine that Ranya was quivering with excitement.

Why imagine? I think it would be easier to say, 'Kerani knew that Ranya would be quivering with excitement.'

This gate was in much better condition then the outer one; the doors were freshly stained, the hinges polished mirror-bright.

Replace 'this gate' with 'it', to avoid repetition. So it reads, 'It was in much better condition' etc etc.

As her elephant knelt, Kerani noticed a man standing under one of them.

This would make more sense if you switched the sentence round so it read, 'Kerani noticed a man standing under one of them, as her elephant knelt.' Because otherwise, the reader might have forgotten what 'them' is, but if that particular segment is included after you've mentioned the structures, there won't be any problem.

She tuned into her magic and detected a faint trace of familiarity, but she couldn’t place it.
Ranya placed it for her.

Oh right, sorry. Ignore that comment above where I asked what 'tuning into magic' meant. I forgot for a second that this was a fantasy fic. Silly me.

She smiled and trotted over.

I'm not sure 'trotted' is the right word, it holds the wrong connotations.

“Aren’t you supposed to take us to are rooms?”

Are = Our.

Hasin sighed and let go

Hasin sighed and let go of her.

“You’re very right.

Nix the 'very'. It's redundant.

Lady Ranya, Lady Vyoma, Lady Kerani,” he used her full title just to irk her, she could tell by the twinkle in his eyes, “if you will follow me?”

Change the comma after 'eyes' to a fullstop, and capitalise 'if'.

Ha! :lol:

Had she said that things would have turned out very differently.

Huh? This sentence doesn't really make sense, you'll see that if you read it aloud. I think I know what you mean though, to make it coherent, put a comma after' that'.

Hasin nodded. “That you do sister.

Comma before sister.

And just in case you need anything, Kerani’s rooms are across the hall, and if you want to see me personally send a message.”

Comma after personally.

“You haven’t changed I see.

Comma after changed.

She titled her head back and let the past two weeks drift away in her memory.

Titled = tilted. Easy mistake to make. Oh, and I think you should replace 'in her memory' with 'from her memory'.

Overall thoughts

I liked it, Rosey! I must admit something to you: I normally dislike Fantasy Fiction, to put it mildly. But I enjoyed reading this, which is a very good sign as I barely venture into this forum. This was much, much better than the first draft. You've improved so much with showing instead of telling, and I have to commend you on your characterisation. Your characters are so real, so convincing, and it's only the first chapter. I already love the character of Kerani, she's spunky and won't let anyone push her around. There was good narrative control and I liked hearing her thoughts about her bratty sister. Your dialogue is also good; realistic and authentic, not too melodramatic.

I think the sister could be improved on, the stereotype of the bratty, superficial sister has been done quite a few times. I wouldn't mention this to you if you had more serious issues with the plotline to work on, but since you're a good writer, I just thought I'd point it out. I know these are early days, and you still have plenty of time to develop these characters and make them yours, I'm just being nitpicky as I like your work.

Show characters in different lights when you get a chance. A character in question can also be a villain. Show them interacting with different people, seeing the world through their own perspective, having their inner monologues, contradicting themselves(yet make sure these contradictions apply consistently and make sense), changing into different directions, having crises of faiths, justifying themselves, making decisions and taking actions of their own, taking chances, making mistakes, trying to make up for them and, the most important of all, getting in different conflicts, be they large-scale, personal or interpersonal.

Okay, I'll stop my rambling now. You've done a very good job with this and it's very polished. I hope to read more soon.

Good luck! :D

-Sarah
Had I the heavens embroider'd cloths,
I would spread the cloths under your feet.
But I being poor, have only my dreams,
So tread softly, for you tread on my life.

1272 Reviews

Sat Dec 13, 2008 4:10 pm
Rosendorn says...

The 's is because of Kerani's magic. It's Ranya's joy, not Kerani's.

I know about the sister. She is a brand new character (this draft is the first one she's shown up in), so some flatness it to be expected.

I have fun exploring characters in new lights in later chapters/events. Since one of the biggest problems I saw in the first draft I posted was trying to do too much, I toned it way down.

I'll have to figure out a way to make that line describing Shenora better.

Other then that I've edited most of the things you've pointed out.

Thanks!

Ink is blood. Paper is bandages. The wounded press books to their heart to know they're not alone.

1464 Reviews

Reviews: 1464
Sun Dec 14, 2008 12:23 am
Juniper says...

Rosey Unicorn wrote:Well, I didn't like the way Heart of a Leopard was going, so I changed the beginning 100% (reason the title has changed).

Enjoy!

~~~~~~~~~~~

(Hey there Rosey! Here is my critique; corrections/suggestions in bold.)

Chapter 1

Kerani of Shira watched the dry, desolate land go by through a gold mesh screen, a silk canopy above her head, the world rocking slightly from the gate of her elephant. Up ahead her half-sister and stepmother occupied another elephant; behind was a train of their possessions.

("...the world rocking slightly from the gate of her elephant" Gate here should be gait. "Gate" is a doorway or passage way; gait is referring to stride.)

Kerani thanked them for the dust caked on her skin and the grit in her hair. Her half-sister Ranya for being chosen as the Crown Prince’s bride, her stepmother for making Kerani come along to “protect” the bride-to-be. It didn’t matter that Ranya was fourteen, only a year younger then Kerani. It didn’t matter that once they were inside the palace Ranya would be guarded all day, every day. No, she still needed her mother and her sister to keep her “safe.”

(I don't think "them" needs to be italicized; nevertheless it doesn't bother me :). But, you should place semicolons instead of periods and commas in the first two sentences. Like this:
"Kerani thanked them for the dust caked on her skin; the grit in her hair; her half-sister for being chosen as the Crown Prince's bride; her stepmother for making Kerani come along...")

A gust of wind blew more dirt in her face. Curse this drought! Kerani coughed, praying they'd reach Shenora today. The capital of Kemmer didn’t move, had places to take baths and, it was supposed to be green-- Unlike the rest of the country.

(The line "had take places to take baths" is a bit confusing. You should clarify this a bit.)

She tried to rub grit out of her eyes. Only the Phoenix knew why they had to make this trip now. Autumn wind was constantly blowing, kicking up dust storms that turned villages into ghost towns.

(You don't have to italicize those words in an informative sentence. Thoughts should be italicized, but it's not necessary to italicize as you did here.)
Kerani shook her head when she realized what had just gone through her mind. The Phoenix was the goddess of the day and dry season. If anything, Lung should be on her mind. They needed the god of the rain and night more then ever. She knew from her brother, Hasin that the farmable land was shrinking and the food stores were starting to exhaust themselves. Kemmer was just too big, and the drought was severe.

("Kerani shook her head as she realized what had just gone through her mind..." sounds a bit better than "when")

A thrill of joy went down her nerves. Ranya’s. Something was exciting her half-sister to the point of near hysteria.

Kerani glanced out of her silken cage. Tital Bay was visible in the east. Normally she would have groaned at anything her half-sister found exciting, but there was something about the waves rippling across the water that was oddly hypnotic. She sighed. Tital Bay was beautiful, but it wasn’t the mountains of Hurime. Kerani hoped she’d be able to go back home— and soon.

("A thrill of joy went down her nerves." Doesn't sound too good. Perhaps change the way this is worded, to something more descriptive. Include the "nerves" to show the reader that it bothered her.)

Ranya's squeal cut through the silence. Kerani sighed and looked ahead, taking her eyes away from the water. The palace was now in sight, a gray pearl on the highest point of Wing Plateau.

(Describe that squeal!)

The dome was the first thing she saw. It crowned the place like a fat teardrop. The only other thing she could see from far was the outer wall. A tower marked each corner, each topped by the same dome as the palace. A dark blotch along one wall showed where the gate was. She’d heard that the courtyards of the palace were so big that markets were held inside for the nobles.

Kerani tuned out her magic as excitement grew around her. They were going through the city now, and people were starting to gather. Every single one of them wanted to catch a glimpse of the splendour the Imperial Bride was arriving in, even if they couldn’t see her through the screen. Kerani relaxed in the shadow of her half-sister. Nobody was cheering for her, and she didn’t mind. After hearing Ranya fret for almost a year, Kerani was glad she wasn’t getting married.

(Very good! Perhaps would you describe a little how she "tunes" out her magic?)

On a whim she looked outside. Green vines grew on the sides of houses, new shoots were springing up in gardens, the wind carried the scent of roses, jasmine and lavender. Kerani had heard Shenora received the normal three months of rain that summer, despite the drought. She hadn’t believed it until now.

The cheering was soon drowned out by a loud groan. The gates of the palace were opening. Kerani knew Ranya was quivering with excitement. Kerani had to admit she was too. The two-week trip was finally drawing to a close.

(The length of your sentences in the second paragraph here is a bit... monotonous. Can you vary the length a bit; combine some with commas.)
It was several minutes before they reached the gates. A bar of shadow marked the difference between the outside world and the palace world. They passed by servants waiting to take their possessions down shadowed hallways. Another gate was on the other side of the courtyard. It was in much better condition then the outer one; the doors were freshly stained, the hinges polished mirror-bright.

(I would replace the last part with "the doors were freshly stained and the hinges were polished mirror-bright.)
Another bar of shadow, another change. This time from the servant’s world to the noble’s. The walls and floor were marble; shade-structures had been built on two sides of the courtyard. Kerani noticed a man standing under one of them as her elephant knelt. She dismounted slowly, unsure who it was. She tuned into her magic and detected a faint trace of familiarity, but she couldn’t place it. Ranya placed it for her.

“Hasin!” Her half-sister ran to him and jumped into his arms. Kerani watched with a twinge of jealousy. Hasin was her brother. She was the one who was supposed to jump into his arms, not her half-sister. She watched her stepmother fawn over him like he was her son. Ranya was still hanging onto his neck. Hasin was the top Counsel member at only twenty-two. He headed almost every project related to the drought. Most of them were his ideas. Kerani was the only one there related to him by blood, and now she was the one left out of this ‘family’ gathering.

(She turns into her magic? )

She smiled and ran over. He hadn’t forgotten her after all. Before she could say anything he let go of Ranya and hugged her. Kerani wrapped her arms around him and buried her face in his shoulder. Phoenix, she had missed him.

Ranya interrupted before Kerani could respond. “Aren’t you supposed to take us to our rooms?”

Hasin sighed and let her go. “You’re very right. Lady Ranya, Lady Vyoma, Lady Kerani,” he used her full title just to irk her, she could tell by the twinkle in his eyes. “If you will follow me?”

Lady Vyoma crossed her arms. “You’re just as bad as Kerani. I keep telling you two, call me Mother.”

Lady Vyoma shook her head and followed him down the hall. Kerani ran her tongue over her teeth. Had she said that her stepmother would have reacted very differently. Her brother had no idea how lucky he was. She didn’t bother to tell him. He wouldn’t understand.

(Give a bit of description to how she runs her tongue over her teeth. In disgust? In awe? In happiness? Dramatize it :))

It was a short walk to Lady Vyoma’s rooms. Ranya’s rooms were just down the hall. They were carved with the Phoenix.

“Hasin,” Ranya gasped, “You don’t mean— I get the Empress’s rooms now? I’m not even the Princess yet!”

Hasin nodded. “That you do, sister. And just in case you need anything, Kerani’s rooms are across the hall, and if you want to see me personally, send a message.”

(I'm jealous, haha. She gets the cool room!)

Ranya nodded and disappeared into her new suite. Kerani sensed the ripples of sheer wonder from her half-sister.
“You’ve done it now,” Kerani grumbled, “She’s already acting like a princess. Now you’ve got her in the Empress’s suite!”

(Sheer ripples? That reminds me of a curtain and water :D. )

Hasin unlocked the door across the hall. “Don’t look at me! The Emperor decreed she have those rooms. And consider yourself lucky you’re across the hall. You almost got adjoining rooms.”

He smiled. “Me.”

Kerani rolled her eyes. “Of course,” she followed him into her rooms, “What did you want to talk to me about?”

He closed the door. “How much can you do with your magic now?”

“Would it be possible for you to sense how the earth is doing around Shenora? The crops are starting to fail even here. Maybe if we knew what fields were best for what plants—”

“Absolutely not,” she snapped, “I refuse to be a simple tool to further your carrier.”

(Kerani's mood is clearly displayed here; I love it.)

He ran his fingers through his hair. “You haven’t changed, I see. Listen, this isn’t for me. Kemmer need this. The people need this. If you could help with crop rotation, we might be able to last another year. The drought’s only gone on for four— no drought has lasted longer then that. All we need is one— maybe two more years. The palace mages are useless for this stuff, and since you’ve been able to sense things so well…” he trailed off, waiting for her response.

Kerani shook her head. “What then? If others find out I can sense people and emotions I’ll never have peace. Everybody will want me to sit as a shadow in debates, just so they can know what the other person feels. That’s cheating! If you know a person’s weakness like that, you can do who knows what. I won’t go there. You of all people should know that.”

(First line! "Kemmer need" Should be "Kemmer needs")
He sighed. “I do know that. I just hoped that you’d see how much this would help everybody. I know how much you hate to see the land dying like this.”

She bit her lip. He was right, she did hate to see the land like this. “If you can find a way to keep this secret, I’ll do it. But I’ve never done that sort of thing. I don’t know how far my powers will go into the land. I can only sense people within twenty feet.”

“But you’ll try?”

Kerani got up and nodded. “But only after you find a way to cover your sources.”

He hugged her again. “Thank you. I promise I’ll find a way to keep this secret.”

She stretched and changed the subject. “Do you know where the women’s bath house is? I have been looking forward to hot water since we left Hurime.”

Hasin smiled. “Check your bathroom. The Emperor thought you’d all be a little travel-weary. He arranged—”

(Kerani's character is easy to see! I love her personality already :))
He laughed and left, closing the door behind him. Kerani walked around the bed to the second door in her room. A tub filled with steaming hot water was waiting for her in the bathroom. Next to it was everything she would need, including a cotton robe, and a plate of fruit. She smiled. The Emperor knew how to make an trip have a worthwhile ending.

She stripped and lowered herself into the water. All she would have to do after this was make sure her belongings were put in her room properly. The rest of the evening would be hers. She tilted her head back and let the past two weeks drift away from her memory.

(Very nice! Very nice! -applauds- Now, the only thing I have to say is to pay attention is your sentence length. You should vary it up a bit; throw some compound sentences in there. For now, they sound a bit monotonous as I pointed out in one of the above paragraphs. Over all, I like it! Maybe you could describe the setting a bit more! It reminds me of Arabia or India, but I'm not sure. Good luck writing! PM me when you have more!

June)

"I'd steal somebody's purse if I could google it and then download it." -- Firestarter

46 Reviews

Reviews: 46
Sun Dec 14, 2008 12:26 am
ThanatosPrinciple says...

OK, whoa. There's a lot of information flying through the reader's head in the first

paragraph. I'm still reeling from it. Ok, you NEED to cut back on that. Plus, a bunch of

it is randomly spaced out. I think you should also try to dig deeper into your character's

emotions. So far the characters' actions have all been mostly superficial, being happy

at someones return, being unhappy because of a drought. So far, so simple. The plot

needs a bit more oomph to it too. If you can fix that, you'll have a pretty good story. I

love the last few lines. Letting her memory drift away...nice wording and imagery.
With this magical drrrink I shall RULE THE WORLD! Mwhahahaha!

672 Reviews

Reviews: 672
Sun Dec 14, 2008 5:51 am
Squall says...

Hey there Unicorn.

Kerani of Shira watched the dry, desolate land go by through a gold mesh screen, a silk canopy above her head, the world rocking slightly from the gate of her elephant.

OK. You do not need to state that it's a desolate land. You've already shown us that it's desolate (desert like) with the canopy (obviously they would need one because it's hot) and the gold mesh screen. Also, "world rocking slightly from the gate of her elephant" doesn't make sense. Rephrase it. And how does that part flow on with the rest of the sentence?

Kerani thanked them for the dust caked on her skin and the grit in her hair.

You thank someone for that? Aren't you meant to thank someone for their assistance instead? It's much more meaningful.

Her half-sister Ranya for being chosen as the Crown Prince’s bride, her stepmother for making Kerani come along to “protect” the bride-to-be.

There is no dependant clause here so the sentence seems incomplete.

It didn’t matter that Ranya was fourteen, only a year younger then Kerani. It didn’t matter that once they were inside the palace Ranya would be guarded all day, every day. No, she still needed her mother and her sister to keep her “safe.”

Are you able to elaborate on this more? (eg: What does Ranya think about needing all that protection?)

The capital of Kemmer didn’t move, had places to take baths and, it was supposed to be green-- Unlike the rest of the country.

Of course cities don't move silly -.-

Autumn wind was constantly blowing, kicking up dust storms that turned villages into ghost towns.

Plural form for wind as I'm pretty sure that these wind occur frequently. Also, haven't you've already stated that it was windy before? And why would the villagers leave during such conditions? Explain.

She knew from her brother, Hasin that the farmable land was shrinking and the food stores were starting to exhaust themselves. Kemmer was just too big, and the drought was severe.

How did she knew from her brother? Also, "farmable" land is not even a word. I suggest that you try to be more specific as to what you mean by "farmable" land. (eg: pasture?) Shrinking also doesn't seem to be the right word to use so find another word for it. And haven't you already established as to how the drought's severe?

Please don't describe emotion in such a tangible way. It is redundant and out of context. You would be better off using actions or dialogue to portray that.

She sighed. Tital Bay was beautiful, but it wasn’t the mountains of Hurime. Kerani hoped she’d be able to go back home— and soon.

Tital bay is beautiful? How?

The dome was the first thing she saw. It crowned the place like a fat teardrop

Do we really need to know what the dome looks like? If you had created a strong enough impression of your society, then the audience would had been able to picture even the most little of details.

The only other thing she could see from far was the outer wall. A tower marked each corner, each topped by the same dome as the palace. A dark blotch along one wall showed where the gate was. She’d heard that the courtyards of the palace were so big that markets were held inside for the nobles.

"Afar" not "far". There should also be a "te" after "markets".

Kerani tuned out her magic as excitement grew around her.

Tuned out her magic? Can you be clearer please?

Overall impressions:

I like the idea of having a fantasy taking place in a society where they are confronted with drought and famine, but your execution is bland.

There was this interesting idea of royal protection VS family protection, but there wasn't an attempt made at exploring the theme deeper. You've basically mentioned it and then move on to another idea. Why didn't you show the interactions between the two and establish contrast? Why did the main character believe that her family makes her more safe than having heaps of imperial guards? Is it because her family actually know her and have spent most of their life raising her up to be the women she is now?

From "A gust of wind blew more dirt in her face. Curse this drought!" to "Kerani was the only one there related to him by blood, and now she was the one left out of this ‘family’ gathering."it was quite a chore to read. This is because there's so much redundant detail and information in there that has little to do with the main character nor does it help move the story forward. It read more like some tour guide explaining the surroundings along the way instead of a novel. You do not need to describe everything. You are better off choosing key details that are in some ways connected with the main character and showing more of the interaction between the main character and her half sister on their trip.

For the last third of the piece, you need to reconsider your dialogue and expand on details at various points in the piece to ensure the dialogue works. For example, why does Lady Vyoma want them to call her mother? I have a feeling that Lady Vyoma is that type of person that demands respect, but I never got that feeling. Also, they are of royality right? So why isn't their dialogue more formal? It seems off at the moment (in fact, for the entire piece, the main character's dialogue doesn't have that tone of formality in it). When the main character, Hasin and Ranya were discussing about ways to rectify the drought, I find it kind of forced. This is because you haven't fully established as to why the main character and Ranya would want to purge the drought since a majority of the piece read like a tour guide's explanation on the area.

Lastly, what more can you show about your society? Yes they are in a drought at the moment, but what else? Have you considered arranged marriages? Sexism? Terrorism? etc? Society isn't as simple as being influenced by one conflict or idea, it's much more complex than that. (Your society seems to draw parallels to that of India, Iran etc).

I think you should read go to this: http://www.tki.org.nz/r/ncea/eng3_1Bv2_25jan06.doc

Read the excellence piece in that, not because of the fact that I love it, but learn as to how everything that's written in it is relevant and ties in closely with the main character. Just explaining as to why your piece is flawed isn't going to help much in the long run. It's better off to learn by example as well as through critiques if you wish to become a better writer.

Right now, you have too many ideas (some that are redundant). This in turn puts a hamper on your main character and your piece since the audience will struggle to engage with the writing.

Anyways, that's all I have to say. I hoped that this critique has helped and I wish you good luck Unicorn.

Andy.
"To the edge of the universe and back. Endure and survive."

280 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 280
Mon Dec 15, 2008 2:45 am
Nutty says...

Woah, I see this has been chewed over a few times by some very good critiquers. Talk about having a hard act to follow! :p
So I gather from your request you would like me to concentrate on the plot. Let's see what I can do for you. ^^

Kerani of Shira watched the dry, desolate land go by through a gold mesh screen, a silk canopy above her head, the world rocking slightly from the gate of her elephant.

Gate=gait.

As a first sentence, this is cramming a lot of information into the reader's head from the get-go. What I suggest you do is create an image with the first sentence, but tone down on the information. You're trying to catch the reader's imagination, rather then send their processors into overdrive, if you know what I mean? ^^

Hrrmmm. I think you should deepen the character's background. We don't know where she comes from, her status among royalty, or why she has magic.

This confused me until I read on. I didn't know what to make of this sentence. It's probably not a good idea to confuse your reader so early, as it is more likely they will be deterred in the beginning before they get pulled into the story.
Kerani was the only one there related to him by blood, and now she was the one left out of this ‘family’ gathering.

How does that work? Wouldn't that make him her half-brother? For Ranya and Kerani share a father, as far as I can tell, and for Hasin to be Kerani's full brother he would have to share the same father with Ranya. Since you have Ranya stated as a half-sister, then you should make that clear with Hasin too.

You're in a palace, so describe it. Was the air stifling? Or cool? Were there servants? Here is your opportunity to bring in the other aspects of the culture, like Andy (Squall) suggested. Another way to do this is through the dress of the women. Are they veiled? Do they wear soft slippers, and have soft skin unused to labor? Or do they have callouses from writing, or even, can they write at all? You can give great insight into the culture just through a few characters. How did Hasin's clothing, manner, and social standing differ? This would give an outline on what the attitude between the sexes are.
Also, backtracking a little here, you could further describe the servant's quarters. Are they slaves, or are they payed? Are they working off a debt? Are they comfortable or in poor condition? This would give insight on the social layout.

The rest of the evening would be hers. She tilted her head back and let the past two weeks drift away from her memory.

Heh, wouldn't she have to meet her host at some point?
It is polite, he is the emperor. ^^

Overall, you have a lot of information in this piece without giving much insight. What you need to do is leave out the minor information that could be filled in later, and really give both your characters and your culture more depth. It seems interesting, but there are a lot of questions unanswered. Is magic common? What about these gods, are they feared or adored? What is Ranya's social status once you strip away her engagement? Why was the younger sister chosen?
What does everything look like? You need to show is the scene and the characters. So far you have just information, dialogue, and Kerani's thoughts.
But don't think it's not good, I actually enjoyed this. It seems like an interesting beginning of a promising story.
I'm sorry this crit is a little rushed, but I have my mother kicking me off the computer. If you have any further questions, don't hesitate to PM me. ^^

-Nutty
It's not easy having a good time. Even smiling makes my face ache.

1272 Reviews

Mon Dec 15, 2008 2:11 pm
Rosendorn says...

I know full well it's been chewed up. I'm just looking for an opinion or two more, since the overall comments were split.

Oh-kay, nice to know that stuff is relatively easy to fix. It just needs another re-write. And some more thought......

Some of the stuff I put in is foreshadowing to later events.

I think I won't post anything else until I really get some nitty gritty details ironed out.

Thanks to everybody who reviewed this!

51 Reviews

Reviews: 51
Tue Dec 16, 2008 11:20 pm
jules4848 says...

Ooo... I should have fun with this!

~~~~~~~~~~~[/color]

Chapter 1

Kerani, of Shira, watched the dry, desolate land go by through a gold mesh screen, a silk canopy above her head, the world rocking slightly from the gate of her elephant. Up ahead her half-sister and stepmother occupied another elephant; behind was a train of their possessions. Kerani thanked them for the dust caked on her skin and the grit in her hair. Her half-sister Ranya for being chosen as the Crown Prince’s bride, her stepmother for making Kerani come along to “protect” the bride-to-be. It didn’t matter that Ranya was fourteen, only a year younger then Kerani. It didn’t matter that once they were inside the palace, Ranya would be guarded all day, every day. No, she still needed her mother and her sister to keep her “safe.”

Ok wow interesting opening. The first sentence is very long. You might want to consider shortening it like: Kerani, of Shira, watched the dry, desolate land go by though a gold mesh screen. With a silk canopy about her head, the world rocked slightly from the gate of her elephant. And you third sentence the one that stars with 'Her half-sister Ranya for' I don't think it is a sentence. It's kind of a continuation of the previous sentence. I say this you have no verb. You say 'making' but you didn't use it as a verb in this case but as a describing word because you are explaining why you are thanking the stepmother. I added some commas where needed...

A gust of wind blew more dirt in her face. Curse this drought! Kerani coughed, praying they'd reach Shenora today. The capital of Kemmer didn’t move, had places to take baths and, it was supposed to be green-- unlike the rest of the country. I don't believe you need to capitalize the 'u' in unlike because you aren't starting a new sentence.

She tried to rub grit out of her eyes. Only the Phoenix knew why they had to make this trip now. Autumn wind was constantly blowing, kicking up dust storms that turned villages into ghost towns. Good description

Kerani shook her head when she realized what had just gone through her mind. The Phoenix was the goddess of the day and dry season. If anything, Lung should be on her mind. They needed the god of the rain and night more than ever. She knew from her brother, Hasin, that the farmable land was shrinking and the food stores were starting to exhaust themselves. Kemmer was just too big, and the drought was severe. 'They needed the god of the rain and night more than ever.' Do you mean 'god of rain' not 'god of the rain' If you mean 'god of the rain' you need 'the' in front of night as well.

A thrill of joy went down her nerves. Ranya’s. Something was exciting her half-sister to the point of near hysteria. The way you have 'Ranya's' by itself after you said her sounds awkward. It was a good risk, but I suggest sticking with 'A thrill of joy went down Ranya's nerves.' It's easier for the reader to understand. Wait... I'm confused was it Ranya's nerves or Kerani's. If it was Ranya's you just switched views if it's Kerani's you shouldn't even have Ranya's in there.

The dome was the first thing she saw. It crowned the place like a fat teardrop. The only other thing she could see from a far (or instead of 'a' before far write 'away' after far) was the outer wall. A tower marked each corner, each (try not to use 'each' twice in the same sentence) topped by the same dome as the palace. A dark blotch along one wall showed where the gate was. She’d heard that the courtyards of the palace were so big that markets were held inside for the nobles.

Kerani tuned out her magic as excitement grew around her. They were going through the city now, and people were starting to gather. Every single one of them wanted to catch a glimpse of the splendour the Imperial Bride was arriving in, even if they couldn’t see her through the screen. Kerani relaxed in the shadow of her half-sister. Nobody was cheering for her, and she didn’t mind. After hearing Ranya fret for almost a year, Kerani was glad she wasn’t getting married. I would italize 'she' not 'wasn't' cause when people read if they are really into the story they will emphazize 'she' not 'wasn't'

On a whim she looked outside. Green vines grew on the sides of houses, new shoots were springing up in gardens, the wind carried the scent of roses, jasmine and lavender. Kerani had heard Shenora received the normal three months of rain that summer, despite the drought. She hadn’t believed it until now. When you say 'Green vines grew on' I think you want to say is 'had grown' because so far you are in the past tense and by saying 'grew' you switch to present tense. I think, but I'll look into it to make sure. Plus since you are describing things seprately even though you have commas before you last comma you need 'and' otherwise I don't think it's a proper sentence.

Another bar of shadow, another change. This time from the servant’s world to the noble’s. The walls and floor were marble; shade-structures had been built on two sides of the courtyard. Kerani noticed a man standing under one of them as her elephant knelt. She dismounted slowly, unsure who it was. She tuned into her magic and detected a faint trace of familiarity, but she couldn’t place it. Ranya placed it for her. Connect your first two sentences, REWRITE: Another bar of shadow, another change, but this time from the servant's world to the noble's.

“Hasin!” Her half-sister ran to him and jumped into his arms. Kerani watched with a twinge of jealousy. Hasin was her brother. She was the one who was supposed to jump into his arms, not her half-sister. She watched her stepmother fawn over him like he was her son. Ranya was still hanging onto his neck. Hasin was the top Counsel member at only twenty-two. He headed almost every project related to the drought. Most of them were his ideas. Kerani was the only one there related to him by blood, and now she was the one left out of this ‘family’ gathering. Is part of this Kerani's thoughts if so you should put them in quotes followed by 'thought Kerani' or put them in italics.

She smiled and ran over. He hadn’t forgotten her after all. Before she could say anything he let go of Ranya and hugged her. Kerani wrapped her arms around him and buried her face in his shoulder. Phoenix, she had missed him. Is saying Phoenix like saying God? Just curious...

Lady Vyoma crossed her arms. “You’re just as bad as Kerani. I keep telling you two, call me Mother.” My only wish here is that if you had called the stepmother Lady Vyoma earlier since as the story goes on to continue to refer to her as Lady Vyoma not stepmother

Lady Vyoma shook her head and followed him down the hall. Kerani ran her tongue over her teeth. Had she said that her stepmother would have reacted very differently. Her brother had no idea how lucky he was. She didn’t bother to tell him. He wouldn’t understand. You lost me. Your third sentence isn't a sentence. You don't have a verb and you leave me hanging so I have no idea what you are talking about. What wouldn't the brother understand?

He smiled. “Me.” I already love Hasin I hope he is in the story more!

He closed the door. “How much can you do with your magic now?” A little more description of what he was doing before he began to speak would make the story better

He ran his fingers through his hair. “You haven’t changed, I see. Listen, this isn’t for me. Kemmer needs this. The people need this. If you could help with crop rotation, we might be able to last another year. The drought’s only gone on for four— no the drought has lasted longer then that. All we need is one— maybe two more years. The palace mages are useless for this stuff, and since you’ve been able to sense things so well…” he trailed off, waiting for her response.

She bit her lip. He was right, she did hate to see the land like this. “If you can find a way to keep this secret, I’ll do it. But I’ve never done that sort of thing. I don’t know how far my powers will go into the land. I can only sense people within twenty feet.” Don't say 'land like this' again its sounds repetitive try to reword it

“But you’ll try?”

He laughed and left, closing the door behind him. Kerani walked around the bed to the second door in her room. A tub filled with steaming hot water was waiting for her in the bathroom. Next to it was everything she would need, including a cotton robe, and a plate of fruit. She smiled. The Emperor knew how to make a trip have a worthwhile ending.

She stripped and lowered herself into the water. All she would have to do after this was make sure her belongings were put in her room properly. The rest of the evening would be hers. She tilted her head back and let the past two weeks drift away from her memory. Nice ending

OK well, um this still needs some work. I feel that you need to read this aloud before your post. Reading aloud is something you will hear from everybody. People still tell me to do that, and I do. It helps get some of the awkward wording and grammer mistakes. Overall this was interesting. I felt you had a good idea and the story flowed well.

What I would work on is writing proper sentences. A few times you left out a verb or you just left out a few words that were vital to the sentence.

Other than that everything was fine. It was a good read. PM me when more comes out or if you need anything else reviewed. Hope this helped
Searching For An Explanations...
http://www.realityhitchhiker.blogspot.com/

365 Reviews

Reviews: 365
Fri Jan 02, 2009 3:04 am
Antigone Cadmus says...

Hey, Rosey!

I really enjoyed this piece.

*cracks knuckles* Now we review!

a gray pearl

I dunno. This bothers me. I picture gray us being lackluster and dull, not pear-like.

Kerani tuned out her magic

I didn't know she was tuned into her magic. Tell us. ^_^

Green vines grew on the sides of houses, new shoots were springing up in gardens, the wind carried the scent of roses, jasmine and lavender.

Should be, "....in the garden, and the wind...

He was right, she did hate to see the land like this.

Change the comma to a semi colon.

The Emperor knew how to make an trip have a worthwhile ending.

Change an to a.

Sorry this wasn't very helpful. I hardly saw any errors.

-Sakura
Odi et amo. quare id faciam, fortasse requiris?
nescio, sed fieri sentio et excrucior.
-Catullus, Carmen 85

That awkward moment when you jump out a window because your friend jumped out a window, then you remember that your other friend can fly.
— Rick Riordan, The Ship of the Dead