z

Young Writers Society

A Most Dismal Prospect

36 Reviews

Reviews: 36
Thu Sep 18, 2008 9:53 pm
ankhirke says...

Trying to get my first five (in this case, seven or so) spic and span polished. Thank you in advance for all constructive crits and comments!

Chapter One
A Most Dismal Prospect

The sky today was properly grey and somber, not that it was at all unusual. It gave the entire churchyard a wilted look, as the dusty old preacher read from his dusty old Book among the gravestones. To young Abigail Crowe, who stood at the foot of her father's grave wearing a horribly uncomfortable black dress, it all seemed quite fitting.

As the eldest child of Maris and the late Mr. Lewis Crowe, it was, of course, Abigail’s understood duty to look most properly saddened. Proper sadness, however, proves to be a rather difficult thing to pull off – as you are to shed tears (but not bawl), be respectful (yet not grave), and stand up straight and tall (without being too stiff). While the dress made her, indeed, too stiff, she found the other problems in her proper appearance to be far more troubling.

For one thing, she could not cry. She did not bawl either; her cheeks remained pale and dry, her eyes distinctly lacking in puffiness. All morning, she had been confronted with the stark reality of her father’s death, and through all of it, she had not shed a single tear. It was not that she was unwilling to – even now, she tried her hardest to feel the sadness that she was supposed to be feeling. But for all her trying, the only thing she felt was the very strong urge to hit things.

Her brother William was an appealing target. He, certainly, was being neither respectful nor grave – fidgeting with his collar in an incessant way that was most improper for a funeral. But the presence of their Mother – never mind the Preacher and other mourners! - prevented Abigail from acting on her more vindictive instincts.

"Ashes to ashes," droned the preacher in a voice as parched and cracked as the pages of his Book. "Dust to dust..."

And now William's fidgeting could not be ignored. Along with the Preacher’s ecclesiastical ramblings – as meaningless and frustrating to her as ancient Greek – it made the situation almost impossible to bear. But still, she had no reason to break decorum until:

“Oh!” exclaimed the boy (very quietly, of course). “When is he going to finish, Abby?”

Abigail kicked him in the shin. And just to show that she was serious, she added a disapproving and very grown-up glare. Tsks and titters came from the other mourners, though the Preacher continued on, and Mother remained oblivious – but the important thing was that William got the message, and remained quiet and still throughout the rest of the Preacher’s prayers.

At last there was a final "Amen" from all, and the black company parted. The veiled women drifted off towards the carriages; the men put on their hats and went to get the shovels; and Mother remained just long enough to dab her black kerchief to her eyes one last time before floating away herself. Left alone by the open grave, the children did what anyone might expect, and knelt down next to the edge to have one last peek.

Their father's dark elmwood coffin stared back up at them. Despite the smooth, dirt-smeared lid, Abby could still imagine her father's body, with his hands laid ever so gently upon his chest, a black rose between them, looking just as he had the past few days when the casket had stood open in the middle of their drawing room - as if he were asleep. Indeed, that was what they had thought at first. That awful morning, the sun had been unmannerly bright and cheerful, and Mother and Abby and William had gotten up and wondered why Father was still sleeping. He was usually up before the rest of them, bent over some notes in his study or walking in the tiny patch of yard in the back that they called the garden. So Mother bent down with a kiss to wake him, and that was when they knew.

The investigations began immediately, and the inquiries, and the undertaker came to poke and probe and take measurements. But though the funeral preparations were quickly arranged (Mother had needed to sell her favorite pearl earrings to pay for all of it), and the papers notified, and the inquiries made, no one knew the answer to the most pressing question:

How had Lewis Crowe died?

But while the two sat, contemplating this, the men had returned with their shovels. Abby and William were shooed away, to wander among the graves and monuments.

“What do you think it's like being dead?” asked William.

And Abigail, at a loss for an answer but not about to admit such, replied: “Don't ask stupid questions.”

So instead they played tag, and a short game of hide and seek (there were not many places fit to hide) and by the time that was done, they were feeling quite ready to go home. They headed back towards the gravesite, where the men were just finishing their work, tamping down the last few shovelfuls of dirt. Mother was nearby. She stood next to the hearse, deep in conversation with a tall, thin-limbed gentleman.

“Who's he?” asked William.

“Don't point!” said Abby, slapping down the boy's skinny finger. “That's just Uncle Edward.”

It was actually quite understandable that William hadn't recognized the man; their Uncle Edward had never really been close. Abigail herself knew little of him, save that he was their father's brother, and some sort of doctor. Seeing him now, she was almost a little glad that he hadn't been around more often.

There was nothing conspicuously remarkable about Dr. Edward Crowe. He was stern-faced and dark-haired, with just a little bit of grey starting to show around the temples, and every part of him, from his straight posture, to his distinguished manners, to his impeccable clothing declared him the gentleman. Everyone agreed that the good doctor was the most respectable of respectable men.

Abigail found him terrifying.

She could not explain why that would be. But whatever it was, William sensed it too, and said, simply:

“I don't think I like him very much.”

Abigail shushed him, before ducking down behind a nearby gravestone.

“Maris,” Uncle Edward was saying. “I cannot imagine what it must be like to be in your position. For Lewis to have died so suddenly, and without a shade of an inheritance left behind... I cannot – If there is anything I can do, you have only to name
it.”

“That's very kind of you, but I couldn't possibly impose -”

But Uncle Edward waved this off. “It would be no imposition at all.”

For a moment, Mother was silent, and then: “It - it's the children, Edward. It's William. I worry so much about them. And if they were to find out -” She trailed off.

But Uncle Edward was all comfort as he took Mother's hand into his own. “Perhaps... perhaps you should come to the Manor for a bit. Just for a few weeks...”

“I – I don't think...”

“Just until you get all your affairs settled and have recovered somewhat from this tragedy.”

For a moment, there was silence, and Abigail found herself feeling extremely queasy at the thought of what Mother's answer might be.

“Of course, Edward,” said Mother finally. “It would be lovely to visit.”

"I shall see you soon, then," he said. He replaced his hat and, taking his cane in hand, he gave mother a smart bow. "Farewell, dear Maris."

"Farewell."

And with one last nod of acknowledgment, they parted company, he leaning heavily on his cane as he disappeared beyond the carriages, she turning to the children who had emerged from the graves.

"Mum," said Abby as she took her Mother's crape-gloved hand, "what's going to happen now?"

Mother patted her daughter's hair and said, in the softest, gentlest, most comforting voice she had at her disposal: "That's nothing you need to worry about, dear. Everything will work out for the best, you'll see. We may be going on a little trip soon... Won't that be fun?"

Somehow, Abby didn't think so.

26 Reviews

Reviews: 26
Fri Sep 19, 2008 4:43 pm
aszecsei says...

Eeek! I'm already spinning out ideas on what will happen next...

Very well-written. I didn't find any spelling/grammatical errors, and you captured the mood of children at a funeral very well. The only thing I could think of was that this was lacking character description - almost no physical description whatsoever. If you just added a little to make it easier to imagine, it would do wonders...I think. I can't wait to find out what happens next!

36 Reviews

Sun Sep 21, 2008 4:12 am
ankhirke says...

Thanks aszecsei! (er... how do you pronunciate that?)

I've gotten several comments on the lack of description in the first chapter. In the first draft, there was a big chunk of description that was removed for pacing reasons - course, it wasn't of the kids. I realize now that I do have to give the kids some visual identity - i just have to figure out where it would fit in.

hmm....

~Annie

66 Reviews

Reviews: 66
Sun Sep 21, 2008 11:57 am
Fellow says...

Nice idea. I liked reading it... now the review.

The sky today was properly grey and somber, not that it was at all unusual. It gave the entire churchyard a wilted look, as the dusty old preacher read from his dusty old Book among the gravestones. To young Abigail Crowe, who stood at the foot of her father's grave wearing a horribly uncomfortable black dress, it all seemed quite fitting.

- Ok. The action is well written but i suggest you put the reader in that place. Example:
The sky was properly grey and somber, not at all unusual. It gave the entire churchyard a wilted look, as the dusty old preacher read from his dusty old Book among the gravestones, his voice covering the silence with an grave echo through those lonely tomb-stones. To young Abigail Crowe, who stood at the foot of her father`s grave wearing a horribly uncomfortable black dress, the day, the voice, the coldness of those tomb-stones, all seemed quite fitting.

- To tell you what I did:
his voice covering the silence with an grave echo through those lonely tomb-stones... - Gives a sound imagine that the reader could imagine by putting himself in that action.
the day, the voice, the coldness of those tomb-stones, all seemed quite fitting... - A sentence that gives a little "sadness" to the reader, more powerful than uncomfortable black dress, it all seemed quite fitting...

How did Lewis Crowe died?

Again - You need to give the reader the idea that he could be there, lisening to the preacher's prayer, feeling the sorrow in the air... you get the point.
As many young writers do, you just put a description on the character and done. As i said at other reviews that i gave you need to describe those "little" features of the person - Clothes, personality, way of movment, the sound of his voice - but at the same time not to much cause it gets boring.
Left you in white cloud right? When you start writing those description as i said you`ll feel that slight diference of style.

Nothing to point out further on. PM me when you get it edited and i`ll take my time to read it. Luck!

-Akayl
Life is a song. You just need to know how to sing it.

topic35881.html - Need reviews? Click!

26 Reviews

Reviews: 26
Mon Sep 22, 2008 1:02 pm
aszecsei says...

A-Say-Chay
When in doubt...obfuscate!

571 Reviews

Reviews: 571
Mon Sep 22, 2008 2:27 pm
Esmé says...

Anhirke,

Ello, how are you on this ever so cloudy day? Do you know that it’s raining? Horrid, no? Ah, but your review^^

Quote:
The sky today was properly grey and somber,

“today” and “was” as above clash horribly. “Is“? “That day?” Your choice.

Quote:
It gave the entire churchyard a wilted look, as the dusty old preacher read from his dusty old Book among the gravestones.

Awkward phrasing - awkward “as”, to be exact. It doesn’t belong there, and ruins the sentence.

Quote:
Proper sadness, however, proves to be a rather difficult thing to pull off – as you are to shed tears (but not bawl), be respectful (yet not grave), and stand up straight and tall (without being too stiff).

Very nice, I like the parenthesis idea. “You” - “one”?

Quote:
As the eldest child of Maris and the late Mr. Lewis Crowe, it was, of course,

I’m assuming that Maris wasn’t his wife? Or was she? Because as it is, that’s the signal I get. That’s what’s being implied.

Quote:
She did not bawl either;

That’s on a brighter note. These two sentences (this and the last, un-quoted), are pseudo-contrasts. Add something in the likes of “but”?

Quote:
But for all her trying, the only thing she felt was the very strong urge to hit things.

Nice.

Quote:
He, certainly, was being neither respectful nor grave – fidgeting with his collar in an incessant way that was most improper for a funeral.

Cut “that was”? that’s unnecessary, and I think the sentence would sound better without it.

Quote:
“Oh!” exclaimed the boy (very quietly, of course).

Here I don’t like the parenthesis. They can be done away with. Hmm.

Quote:
So Mother bent down with a kiss to wake him, and that was when they knew.

Very nice sentence.

Quote:
The investigations began immediately, and the inquiries, and the undertaker came to poke and probe and take measurements.[/b]
Investigations and inquiries. Last word should not be as an interference of its own - that looks odd.

Quote:
But while the two sat, contemplating this, the men had returned with their shovels. Abby and William were shooed away, to wander among the graves and monuments.

Expand. ^^

Quote:
He was stern-faced and dark-haired, with just a little bit of grey starting to show around the temples, and every part of him, from his straight posture, to his distinguished manners, to his impeccable clothing declared him the gentleman.

Awkward. Consider rephrasing slightly?

Quote:
name
it.”
Yes, yes, my paranoia, but still - spacing thingy.

[b]
Quote:
He replaced his hat and, taking his cane in hand, he gave mother a smart bow.

Capitalize “mother”? Also, last pronoun unnecessary.

Quote:
And with one last nod of acknowledgment, they parted company, he leaning heavily on his cane as he disappeared beyond the carriages, she turning to the children who had emerged from the graves.

“him leaning”, “her turning”.

That’s the end of the line-by-line. Here we’ll start on any comments I might have thought up while reading.

Firstly - I admit, it was the title that hooked me, the title all by itself. It’s very, very nice, and don’t you ever think of changing it.

Secondly, I liked the language. Fantastic, brilliant descriptions, glad your wrote them. Personally, I can’t imagine the text without them. ‘twould be more or less atmosphere-less, you know?

Other than that - I don’t know. This was very well written, and I’m wondering where this’ll lead to. I like the cast; the Uncle seems pretty cool and Abby and her brother are absolutely fantastic.

Cheers,
Esme

36 Reviews

Mon Sep 22, 2008 10:11 pm
ankhirke says...

Esme, have points!

Thank you so much for the line by line, the awkward phrasings are exactly what i need to know about. Maris was indeed married to Lewis, though how I could make that clear I'm not sure: as I was trying to avoid "Maris Crowe and Lewis Crowe", hoping that leaving out her last name would lead to the assumption that she bears his.

Otherwise, I'm so glad you liked it. I wonder if you wouldn't mind being a beta for the rest of it? I'm not planning to post much more on the public forums.

Again, thank you! And I hope the rain has cleared up by now?

~Annie

34 Reviews

Reviews: 34
Tue Sep 23, 2008 5:12 pm
natalie says...

I thought this was a really good beginning to a story. It invites many questions and opens up many interesting twists and opportunities.

Good Luck with it!!

42 Reviews

Reviews: 42
Tue Sep 23, 2008 7:48 pm
Quibbons Quill says...

I liked the way it was written, however at first i thought it was rather light hearted and original. That continued until the Uncle invited them to stay at the manor. Though it didn't put me off I hopped that as the story continued you wouldn't fall into to many cliches'. Definetly continue and keep the tone the same. Like the title to.

76 Reviews

Reviews: 76
Thu Sep 25, 2008 4:23 am
KingKamor says...

Everyone else has already pointed out the grammatical errors, so I'll just say that the whole presentation really fit. It gave me a somber, almost blank feeling, and I think that that must have been what Abby was feeling at the time, too, so good job! =3

Happy writing!
"I think it goes until it's done."
"Don't we all."

382 Reviews

Reviews: 382
Fri Sep 26, 2008 7:35 pm
Galerius says...

ankhirke wrote:The sky today was properly grey and somber, not that it was at all unusual. It gave the entire churchyard a wilted look, as the dusty old preacher read from his dusty old Book among the gravestones.

you merged two sentences(the churchyard and the priest) into one sentence without any rhyme or reason when it would have been better to keep them seperate. why?

To young Abigail Crowe, who stood at the foot of her father's grave wearing a horribly uncomfortable black dress, it all seemed quite fitting.

foot doesnt sound right. the edge of a grave could be compared to a ravine or a dark abyss, right? use imagery, make me feel it.

As the eldest child of Maris and the late Mr. Lewis Crowe, it was, of course, Abigail’s understood duty to look most properly saddened. Proper sadness, however, proves to be a rather difficult thing to pull off – as you are to shed tears (but not bawl), be respectful (yet not grave), and stand up straight and tall (without being too stiff). While the dress made her, indeed, too stiff, she found the other problems in her proper appearance to be far more troubling.

dont use "properly sad" twice, especially when its so close together. i think that you did that on purpose, but it doesnt work. and you used proper again at the end, which is not good.

For one thing, she could not cry. She did not bawl either;

you said bawl already. synonyms, please.

her cheeks remained pale and dry, her eyes distinctly lacking in puffiness. All morning, she had been confronted with the stark reality of her father’s death, and through all of it, she had not shed a single tear. It was not that she was unwilling to – even now, she tried her hardest to feel the sadness that she was supposed to be feeling. But for all her trying, the only thing she felt was the very strong urge to hit things.

Her brother William was an appealing target. He, certainly, was being neither respectful nor grave – fidgeting with his collar in an incessant way that was most improper for a funeral. But the presence of their Mother – never mind the Preacher and other mourners! - prevented Abigail from acting on her more vindictive instincts.

i have nothing to say here. this was good. you went into her mind, not only described the surface but put the reader in the drivers seat behind abigail's eyes.

"Ashes to ashes," droned the preacher in a voice as parched and cracked as the pages of his Book. "Dust to dust..."

is that a direct quote from the bible? if it isn't, then i'd say change it because it doesnt convey enough spiritual weight like bible terms should. if it is...then i cant really say anything, haha.

And now William's fidgeting could not be ignored. Along with the Preacher’s ecclesiastical ramblings – as meaningless and frustrating to her as ancient Greek – it made the situation almost impossible to bear. But still, she had no reason to break decorum until:

“Oh!” exclaimed the boy (very quietly, of course). “When is he going to finish, Abby?”

"the boy"? i would suggest putting in his name instead, it makes him sound more personal. and he is her brother after all. also, he wouldn't call her "abby", he would just grumble "when is he going to finish?".

Abigail kicked him in the shin. And just to show that she was serious, she added a disapproving and very grown-up glare. Tsks and titters came from the other mourners, though the Preacher continued on, and Mother remained oblivious – but the important thing was that William got the message, and remained quiet and still throughout the rest of the Preacher’s prayers.

boring and dry. there was a kicking but you never showed us william's reaction to it. please, i dont want to hear about something as reaction-wrenching and kicking and then to never have that description come.

At last there was a final "Amen" from all, and the black company parted. The veiled women drifted off towards the carriages; the men put on their hats and went to get the shovels; and Mother remained just long enough to dab her black kerchief to her eyes one last time before floating away herself. Left alone by the open grave, the children did what anyone might expect, and knelt down next to the edge to have one last peek.

um there might be a problem with the overuse of semicolons. content is acceptable, though. one question: why would mother just leave without even looking back??? she should be holding her childrens hands and looking into the grave with them.

Their father's dark elmwood coffin stared back up at them. Despite the smooth, dirt-smeared lid, Abby could still imagine her father's body, with his hands laid ever so gently upon his chest, a black rose between them, looking just as he had the past few days when the casket had stood open in the middle of their drawing room - as if he were asleep. Indeed, that was what they had thought at first. That awful morning, the sun had been unmannerly bright and cheerful, and Mother and Abby and William had gotten up and wondered why Father was still sleeping. He was usually up before the rest of them, bent over some notes in his study or walking in the tiny patch of yard in the back that they called the garden. So Mother bent down with a kiss to wake him, and that was when they knew.

split this into two paragraphs because its about two seperate events.

The investigations began immediately, and the inquiries, and the undertaker came to poke and probe and take measurements. But though the funeral preparations were quickly arranged (Mother had needed to sell her favorite pearl earrings to pay for all of it), and the papers notified, and the inquiries made, no one knew the answer to the most pressing question:

who was contemplating? the children? i would think that they wouldn't be mature enough to ponder upon the circumstances of their fathers death this early.

“What do you think it's like being dead?” asked William.

And Abigail, at a loss for an answer but not about to admit such, replied: “Don't ask stupid questions.”

i like the sibling tension you've put throughout this story. makes it more realistic.

So instead they played tag, and a short game of hide and seek (there were not many places fit to hide) and by the time that was done, they were feeling quite ready to go home. They headed back towards the gravesite, where the men were just finishing their work, tamping down the last few shovelfuls of dirt. Mother was nearby. She stood next to the hearse, deep in conversation with a tall, thin-limbed gentleman.

“Who's he?” asked William.

“Don't point!” said Abby, slapping down the boy's skinny finger. “That's just Uncle Edward.”

It was actually quite understandable that William hadn't recognized the man; their Uncle Edward had never really been close. Abigail herself knew little of him, save that he was their father's brother, and some sort of doctor. Seeing him now, she was almost a little glad that he hadn't been around more often.

There was nothing conspicuously remarkable about Dr. Edward Crowe. He was stern-faced and dark-haired, with just a little bit of grey starting to show around the temples, and every part of him, from his straight posture, to his distinguished manners, to his impeccable clothing declared him the gentleman. Everyone agreed that the good doctor was the most respectable of respectable men.

this is all pretty good.

Abigail found him terrifying.

She could not explain why that would be. But whatever it was, William sensed it too, and said, simply:

“I don't think I like him very much.”

Abigail shushed him, before ducking down behind a nearby gravestone.

“Maris,” Uncle Edward was saying. “I cannot imagine what it must be like to be in your position. For Lewis to have died so suddenly, and without a shade of an inheritance left behind... I cannot – If there is anything I can do, you have only to name
it.”

“That's very kind of you, but I couldn't possibly impose -”

But Uncle Edward waved this off. “It would be no imposition at all.”

For a moment, Mother was silent, and then: “It - it's the children, Edward. It's William. I worry so much about them. And if they were to find out -” She trailed off.

after reading the whole story, i have to come back to this section because theres an ominous undertone to this entire conversation. seems to reflect abigail's own insecurities at having to watch her fathers funeral and then for her hated uncle to start chatting with her mother.

But Uncle Edward was all comfort as he took Mother's hand into his own. “Perhaps... perhaps you should come to the Manor for a bit. Just for a few weeks...”

“I – I don't think...”

“Just until you get all your affairs settled and have recovered somewhat from this tragedy.”

For a moment, there was silence, and Abigail found herself feeling extremely queasy at the thought of what Mother's answer might be.

“Of course, Edward,” said Mother finally. “It would be lovely to visit.”

"I shall see you soon, then," he said. He replaced his hat and, taking his cane in hand, he gave mother a smart bow. "Farewell, dear Maris."

"Farewell."

hmm, alright, more suspense. no comments here, everything is good.

"Mum," said Abby as she took her Mother's crape-gloved hand, "what's going to happen now?"

Mother patted her daughter's hair and said, in the softest, gentlest, most comforting voice she had at her disposal: "That's nothing you need to worry about, dear. Everything will work out for the best, you'll see. We may be going on a little trip soon... Won't that be fun?"

Somehow, Abby didn't think so.

how does abigail know that mother's voice was the most softest, gentlest, and comforting she had at her disposal? i thought this story was from third-person limited.

last line packages the whole story very well with those five innocuous words.

in general: i wont hesitate to say that this was a great read, bringing to life the funeral and abigail's emotion. alot of your sentences were quite choppy, though, and i suggest reading it out loud and recognizing those sentences that seem to just be wedged in there without actually fitting in. also, the plot is moving rather slowly, it could just be the large amount of descriptions you have though.

yep, good job and i hope to see more of your stuff soon.

Who knew Kansas City had its own branch of the Yakuza?
— Jason Sudeikis