z

Young Writers Society

Vermillion Tide - Chapter 3

112 Reviews

Reviews: 112
Thu Sep 04, 2008 11:59 am
kris says...

Who is this boy? Mae thought to herself, as she poured hot water into a vessel.
"Shit!" she exclaimed, as she looked down at the table now water logged, the excess had run onto her feet as well. Great work Mae, class act. she thought, as she took a towel from her apron to soak up the water.

She twisted the towel over the water vessel, re-using the wasted water. Mae let out a heavy sigh, putting her hand to her head. She surveyed the dimly light room, light only entering from the doorway and corridor beyond.

"Where...is the..." muttering to herself, her hands still set firmly to her crown. "Ah!".
She hurried over to the far end of the room, to a ancient looking cabinet; the wood riddled with holes and termite colonies.
Mae climbed up onto the cabinet's self, and slapped open the upper most door, her arm stretched out to the point of ripping.
Where are you, ya' little bugger? She hissed with exasperation, as she groped the cupboard blindly to the sound of glass clinking. "Gotcha'!" said Mae triumphantly.

She retracted her hand from the cupboard, and examined the vile that read: "Gypsum crystals. For all complaints and irritations, internal and external."
Mae nodded to herself, a warm feeling grew in her chest. Today might not be so bad after all.

She proceeded to climb down gingerly from the shelf, and back to the vessel which was still steaming vigorously. She uncorked the vile and tapped the glass against the vessel, letting a measured amount of Gypsum into the water, which was slowly taking on a pink rue and a sweet scent.

Mae inserting the cork back into the vile and stowing it into her apron pocket. The took another towel from her apron and used it to grip the vessel handles.
Letting out a repugnant sound, similar to a startled pig; she strained her back as she made her way with the steaming water, and out of the kitchen.

Mae's mind wandered back to the boy that lay sleeping in her bed. She had been told to care for him until her mother returned from the apothecary with provisions. She had not seen him yet; he was bundled in by her Father only hours ago. She'd never seen him so worried before, his face was full of so much fear.

During her musing, Mae had already gotten to the top of the stairs. The landing was well light, and bright - brighter than most houses in the Loe town. The door to her bedroom was already opened for her, which was fortunate as her hands were full.
Directly before her was her bed, the covers filled out by a body underneath them. She couldn't see the who was sleeping in her bed, as the covers were pulled right over, covering all but the boy's crown.

Mae let out a quiet moan of relief as she set the vessel down onto a stool next to her bed. She placed the towel from the handles into the water to soak.

Mae's bedroom was comfortably furnished and boasted a large window to the right of the bed. Her house was the finest in this part of the Loe town, thanks to her father being a tradesman the house was built with favours.
A set of men's clothes were piled on the floor under the window, they were scorched and blood soaked.

Suddenly the sheets shifted as the boy stirred in his sleep.
Mae's belly began to tighten, and her joints stiffened. Who is this boy? She thought to herself repeatedly. Mae's resolve peaked, and she leaned over the sleeping boy beneath her sheets. Took a corner of the duvet and peeled it back cautiously.
As the boy's face emerged, her belly tightened even more and her hands trembled. She paused for a moment and pulled the covers back with a decisive jerk. Revealing a naked young man; his side horribly burnt from his shoulder to his hip.

Mae recoiled back quickly, putting her hand to her mouth. Her stomach felt like it was going to leap out.

Dan woke. He knew he was awake, even though he had not yet fully alert. His body was cold, he could feel the hairs on his arms and legs pulling at his skin.
Was that I dreaming? Dan thought I must have been, because I'm awake now...I wonder what that dream meant. What does a creepy old man mean in dreams? Dan mused further.

He lay perfectly still, resisting his chill, and the urge to search for the sheets. He ventured to open his eyes, they flickered up lazily, revealing nothing but blur.

"Ah you're awake...Oh shit! I'm sorry..I er" A voice burst out, from somewhere ahead of him. Her voice was shaky.

Dan forced his eyes to focus, and soon a young girl with long brown pig-tails and latté coloured skin. she was dressed in a yellow tunic and a white apron. Her eyes were welling up, he hand trembling against her lips.

"What the fuck?!" Dan exclaimed. The realization that he was nude had dawned on him. He bent forward to retrieve the sheets, but a sharp bolt of pain ripped down his side. It felt like somebody had cut him open with a serrated blade.
He collapsed back howling in pain, his back arching up to the ceiling.

"Let me get that for you, please" Said the young girl, who promptly drew the duvet over him. "Are you ok? Please let me wash you with this, I need to make sure that it doesn't become septic ." She continued hurriedly.

Dan's mind was reeling. Where was he? Who was is this girl? His mind became flooded with the memory of the workshop. The intense pain. That must be why I'm here.

Another pang of pain came to Dan's shoulder. He looked over to find the girl, dabbing him with a wet cloth. He traced his body examining the burns - disgust crept in, seizing his muscles up.

The stinging spread; the pain increasing, as the girl continued to wash his burns.

"My Mother should be back with something to help relieve the pain soon" the girl said, he voice steadying. Her eyes were still glazed with tears that she was holding back.

"Who are you?" Enquired Dan.

The girl seemed startled by that question, and stopped washing him for a moment.

"I am Mae, I think you work for my Father" She replied, her face furrowed with uncertainty.

Griffin's daughter? Dan thought to himself, he searched her face for any features that resembled her Father, but there were none.

"Ok...I guess I'm done, I'll leave you to rest until my Mother gets back." Said Mae, beaming down at Dan. Blinking away her tears.

With that he picked up a large vessel and hurried out of the room and disappeared down the stairs.

Griffin's daughter? He tried to make some physical connection to Griffin, to pass the time. But slowly his thoughts drifted and the world slipped away.

112 Reviews

Reviews: 112
Fri Sep 05, 2008 5:13 pm
kris says...

Can nobody help me out? :/

Carpe Diem
— Catullus