z

Young Writers Society

Vermillion Tide - Prologue & Chapter 1

112 Reviews

Reviews: 112
Mon Aug 25, 2008 1:11 pm
kris says...

Prologue

Morning in the city of Derc, and the dim light that had begun to climb over the looming mountains; bathed the city in a mellow gold. Only the city's' old quarter was still in darkness, save for sparse pin-pricks of light that broke through the canopy of the masonry above. Down in the old quarter of the city of Derc, the poor and destitute reside - hidden away from the wealth of the new city above, by pristine plateau and bridges.
It had been this way, ever since the small kingdom of Dercia began it's quest for empire. Ashamed of their nations' humble beginnings; the senate brushed their old culture aside, and renamed it "the loe-town" loe, being old Dercian for dirty.
Slowly, over time more and more laws were passed to restrict the movement of the poor within the city. Until the loe-town was completely sealed by armed guards and walls.
But there is a Dercian saying:"The wind of change find a way, and the loe will have their day".

Chapter one.

The Loe-town had just begun to wake, as vendors and traders readied their wares.
One by one lanterns in the windows of homes that lined the streets, popped into brilliance - flooding the allies and ways in a patch-work of colour.

Dan Kevalis, started his journey through the meandering streets of the Loe-town. Today he was seventeen, and he could begin his first day as an apprentice - his uncle had pulled a few strings to get the local blacksmith to take him on. Dan had no interest in becoming a blacksmith. Most folk down in the Loe-town could only afford practical tools, but if he was a good enough smith; he might have the chance of moving up to the new city.
That was what made Dan so enthusiastic.

However the position was not guaranteed, knowing this - he stopped at a window that was still darkened by the curtains on the other side. Dan licked his hand and wiped it over his hair, sweeping it to one side.
Looking at his reflection, in the slightly warped glass; Dan saw a young fair skinned man, with rich blonde hair. Dan knew he had fine facial features, but the glass distorted his reflection. He was of an average height, and slim but had broad shoulders for his age.

Satisfied that he looked somewhat tidy, he quickly straightened his shirt out and tidied the rolls in his sleeves. Before a face emerged on the other side of the window, as the curtains were drawn apart. Startled Dan jumped back and turned back into the street.

While Dan had been looking at his reflection, the street had started to become busy. As stores opened, and women made for the public fountains with buckets.
Dan cursed under his breath. He must be late now!

Breaking into a sprint, he navigated his way through the thickening crowds as quickly as he could.
Turning the corner, he arrived at "Crafts way", he searched the signs for an anvil, but he could find none. Only a small sign that read "Griffin's works". Bingo Dan thought to himself. Remembering the name of the smith.
Gingerly Dan made his way over to the workshop. He stopped at the entrance, where steam was escaping from the door hanging.

"Hello? Is this Griffin's blacksmiths?" Dan said in a shaky voice as he pulled the door hanging aside.
There was no answer, only the sound of the cracking embers in the fire, punctuated with the hiss of boiling water.
Dan ventured into the shop. It was dark, light only by the large fire in the centre of the room; which flickered - casting long shadows on the walls, and illuminating threatening looking tools.
going further into the shop, Dan found a small room at the side that was sparsely furnished with a simple bed and wardrobe.

"Like it?" A large, bear like paw landed on Dan's shoulder. Turning round, Dam saw a man more than six foot tall, with long black hair tussled and unkempt. He was broad, and had powerful arms from years of working steel. Dan could not see much of the man's face, as he was turned away from the fire.

"I'm sorry Sir, I didn't mean to intrude. I came to be an apprentice for Griffin" Dan said hurriedly.
" I know, and this is where you'll be staying - you'll be working long hours son. So you'll need a place to sleep" The man explained.

A sudden feeling of excitement and relief swept over Dan. Firstly he wasn't going to have his legs broken for trespassing, and secondly he had the job! Dan beamed at the man before him.
"Thank you sir! I promise, I'll work really hard and i won't let you down, and I'm a really hard worker..." Dan cut himself short, just as he had started to ramble.

Griffin released a deafening laugh, as he stepped away from the room and back toward the fire. Scooped up a bucket full of hot coals and retreated into the darkness at the back of the shop. Where, without a moment's break the sharp chime of metal being shaped commenced.
"So what's your name boy? You're Errin Kelavis' nephew right?" Griffin asked. His words punctuated with grunts as he struck steel.

"Dan. My name is Dan, and yes Errin's my uncle." Dan felt a little lost for words, he milled around the room; playing with the soot on a work bench.

A long silence passed, and the awkwardness grew. Dan had no idea of what he was expected to do, but didn't have the courage to interrupt Griffin while he was busy. Dan looked around the room for a chore that he could busy himself with. Spotting a broom, he seized it and began to sweep the metal filings and dieing embers into a corner.

"What are you doing there?"
"Sweeping" Replied Dan nervously.
"Sweeping?!" Griffin gave out another roar of laughter. "Come over here and make yourself useful".

A wave of embarrassment and awkwardness swept over Dan. Throwing the broom into a corner, he hurried over to the anvil at the back of the shop.
As he passed the great fire in the middle of the room, an agonising pang of pain seared through the left side of his body. The pain tore into his skin, biting at his flesh. Before he Dan could figure out what was wrong; he was on the cold ground looking up at Griffin, but he man's words were muted, and slowly everything faded to black.

152 Reviews

Reviews: 152
Mon Aug 25, 2008 2:54 pm
Rubric says...

Hello, I'm rubric and I'm honoured to be your reviewer today

Morning in the city of Derc, and the dim light that had begun to climb over the looming mountains; bathed the city in a mellow gold.

Nice opening sentence, anything more and it'd be cumbersome though. The semicolon should be a comma though.

by pristine plateau and bridges.

maybe it's just because you've been using so many adjectives so far, but "bridges" just seems to need some further description.

:"The wind of change find a way, and the loe will have their day".

the proverb reads better if either wind or find has an "s" on the end.

This first bit is more of an info-dump than a prologue. Even for a prologue it seems too short of anction and mystery.

The Loe-town

decide on capitalisation and stick to it

One by one lanterns

comma before lanterns

the streets, popped

no need for this comma

flooding the allies

"alleys?" maybe?

guaranteed, knowing

replace the comma with a semicolon, or preferabely a full stop

and slim but had

punctuation is required befroe "but"

Satisfied that he looked somewhat tidy, he quickly straightened his shirt out and tidied the rolls in his sleeves. Before a face emerged on the other side of the window, as the curtains were drawn apart. Startled Dan jumped back and turned back into the street.

This is a slightly messy paragraph. First of all he seems satisfied with his appearance, only to improve it further. The second sentence makes little sense to me, and should either not start with "before" or be joined to the first by a semicolon. The third sentence should have a comma after "startled".

the street had started to become busy

somewhat cumbersome end to the sentence. Even changing it to "the street had become busier" seems to flow better.

. As stores

This second sentence should be joined to the first by either comma or semicolon.

This would be a good chance for direct speech, perhaps a good chance to introduce a charming slums accent.

"Crafts way",

capitalise "way" and lose the speech quotation marks.

Bingo Dan thought

comma after bingo. The standard thing to do with thoughts is to italicise them.

blacksmiths

lose the pluralisation, they arent a hamburger chain.

light only by the large fire in the centre of the room; which flickered

"lit only by the large, flickering, fire in the centre of the room"

bear like paw

"bear-like hand" or "paw-like hand" will suffice. Otherwise it sounds like this guy is actually a bear.

as he was turned away from the fire.

either he turns away from Dan, and it should read "because he had turned back to the fire", or he was always facing the fire (which doesn't fit) and it should read "as he was facing the fire"

and i won't

capitalise the I

deafening

"bellowing" seems to be a trait more fitting to the quintessential smith-turned mentor. it also adds a play on the word "bellows", which makes me chuckle.

Griffin released a deafening laugh, as he stepped away from the room and back toward the fire. Scooped up a bucket full of hot coals and retreated into the darkness at the back of the shop. Where, without a moment's break the sharp chime of metal being shaped commenced.
"So what's your name boy? You're Errin Kelavis' nephew right?" Griffin asked. His words punctuated with grunts as he struck steel.

Woh, reading this straight out, it should all be one, long, sentence. Each sentence needs to stand independantly, so beginning a sentence halfway through an idea "Scooped up a bucket" won't cut it. You need to break up these sentences into individual events and ideas.

Nice climatic ending.

Overall I think you need to work on your sentence structure quite a bit, but the story itself seems to be developing quite nicely. Some of the advice I've given on breaking up your ideas might not be sufficient, so if you have any questions, please pm me!

Rubric
So you're going to kill a god. Sure. But what happens next?

Diary of a Deicide, Part One.

Got YWS?

168 Reviews

Reviews: 168
Mon Aug 25, 2008 3:05 pm
scasha says...

Hey kris! Here's my crit key:
Red= My comments
Bold = Words I've inserted that I think work better
Let's do this thing!

kris wrote:Prologue

It was morning in the city of Derc, and the dim light that had begun to climb over the looming mountains; Take out this semilcolon bathed the city in a mellow gold. Love the description Only the city's' old quarter was still in darkness, save for sparse pin-pricks of light that broke through the canopy of the masonry above. [s]Down in the old quarter of the city of Derc,[/s] There the poor and destitute reside - hidden away from the wealth of the new city above, by pristine plateaus and bridges. Love your description.
It had been this way, Take out this comma ever since the small kingdom of Dercia began it's Take out the apostraphe on it's quest [s]for[/s] to become an empire. Ashamed of their nations' Apostrophe should be before the s in nations humble beginnings; Take out the semicolon and insert a comma instead the senate brushed their old culture aside, and renamed it "the loe-town". Loe was the old Dercian word for dirty. [s]being old Dercian for dirty. [/s]
Slowly, over time insert comma more and more laws were passed to restrict the movement of the poor within the city. Until the loe-town was completely sealed by armed guards and walls This last sentence was a fragment. I would reword it to say: Ultimatly, the loe town was completely sealed off by armed guards and towering walls .
But there is a Dercian saying:"The wind of change will find a way, and the loe will have their day" Always have parallelism (that's why i inserted the will) . I absolutley loved that ending line, just to let you know! It was overall, a beautiful prologue. I pointed out the grammatical problems, but it really was poetic

Chapter one.

The Loe-town had just begun to wake, take out the comma as vendors and traders readied their wares.
One by one lanterns in the windows of homes that lined the streets, popped into brilliance - flooding the allies and ways in a patch-work of colour.

Dan Kevalis, Strike the comma started his journey through the meandering streets of the Loe-town. Today he was seventeen, and he could begin his first day as an apprentice - his uncle had pulled a few strings to get the local blacksmith to take him on. Dan had no interest in becoming a blacksmith. Most folk down in the Loe-town could only afford practical tools, but if he was a good enough smith; he might have the chance of moving up to the new city. I'm a bit confused especially with the next line. The part where you say he has no interest in being a blacksmith, I don't feel any enthusiasm on his part. If you're trying to be sarcastic I would make that a bit clearer.

However the position was not guaranteed, knowing this - he stopped at a window that was still darkened by the curtains on the other side. Dan licked his hand and wiped it over his hair, sweeping it to one side.
Looking at his reflection, [s]in the slightly warped glass; [/s]Dan saw a young fair skinned man, with rich blonde hair. Dan knew he had fine facial features, but the warped glass distorted his features [s]reflection.[/s] He was of an average height, and slim but had broad shoulders for his age.

Satisfied that he looked somewhat tidy, he [s]quickly[/s] straightened his shirt out and find another word for tidied [s]tidied[/s] the rolls of [s]in[/s] his sleeves. [s]Before[/s] A face emerged on the other side of the window, as the curtains were drawn apart. Startled Insert comma Dan jumped back and turned back into the street.

[s]While Dan had been looking at his reflection, [/s] The street had started to become busy while he had been gratifying his vanity. [s]As [/s]stores opened, and women made for the public fountains with buckets.

Breaking into a sprint, he navigated his way through the thickening crowds as quickly as he could.
Turning the corner, he arrived at "Crafts way". He searched the signs for an anvil, but he could find none. Only a small sign that read "Griffin's works". Bingo Italics on the the bingo Dan thought to himself, remembering the name of the smith.
Gingerly, Dan made his way over to the workshop. Since he's late you should show us how he feels (nervous, guilty because he's late here. Show us that he hesitates more before going in He stopped at the entrance, where steam was escaping from the door hanging.

"Hello? Is this Griffin's blacksmiths?" Dan said in a shaky voice as he pulled the door hanging aside.
There was no answer, only the sound of the cracking embers in the fire, Take out this comma punctuated with the hiss of boiling water.
Dan ventured into the shop. It was dark, li[s]gh[/s]t only by the large fire in the centre of the room; Take out semicolon, insert comma which flickered - casting long shadows on the walls, and illuminating threatening looking tools.
Going further into the shop, Dan found a small room at the side that was sparsely furnished with a simple bed and wardrobe.

"Like it?" A large, bear-like paw landed on Dan's shoulder. Turning round, Dam saw a man more than six foot tall, with long black hair tussled and unkempt standing in front of him. He was broad, and had powerful arms from years of working steel. Dan could not see much of the man's face in the sparse light Okay, here you should be showing and instead you're telling. Watch out for that. Have Dan squint at the figure through the darkness. He could only see the vague outline of his face... or something like that , [s]as he was turned away from the fire[/s].

"I'm sorry Sir, I didn't mean to intrude. I came to be an apprentice for Griffin" Dan said hurriedly.
" I know, and this is where you'll be staying - you'll be working long hours son, so you'll need a place to sleep" The man explained.

[s]A sudden feeling of [/s] Excitement and relief swept over Dan. [s]Firstly he wasn't going to have his legs broken for trespassing, and secondly he had the job![/s] Too much telling in that sentence, your readers can discern why he's happy Dan beamed at the man before him.
"Thank you sir! I promise, I'll work really hard and I won't let you down, and I'm a really hard worker..." Dan cut himself short, just as he had started to ramble.

Griffin released a deafening laugh, Take out this comma as he stepped away from the room and back toward the fire. He scooped up a bucket full of hot coals and retreated into the darkness at the back of the shop. [s]Where, without a moment's break[/s] The sharp chime of metal being shaped by a heavy anvil commenced.
"So what's your name boy? [s]You're Errin Kelavis' nephew right[/s]?" Griffin asked. His words punctuated with grunts as he struck steel.

"Dan. My name is Dan, [s]and yes Errin's my uncle[/s]." Dan felt a little lost for words, he milled around the room; playing with the soot on a work bench.

A long silence passed, [s]and the awkwardness grew[/s]. Dan had no idea of what he was expected to do, but he didn't have the courage to interrupt Griffin while he was busy. Dan looked around the room for a chore that he could busy himself with. Spotting a broom, he seized it and began to sweep the metal filings and dieing embers into a corner.

"Sweeping" Replied Dan nervously.
"Sweeping?!" Griffin gave out another roar of laughter. "Come over here and make yourself useful".

A wave of embarrassment [s]and awkwardness [/s]swept over Dan. Throwing the broom into a corner, he hurried over to the anvil at the back of the shop.
As he passed the great fire in the middle of the room, an agonising pang of pain seared through the left side of his body. The pain tore into his skin, biting at his flesh. Before he [s]Dan [/s]could figure out what was wrong; he was on the cold ground looking up at Griffin, but the man's words were muted, and slowly everything faded to black.

Great Cliffhanger ending! Quite Beautifully done!

Anyway here's the overall critique:

The Goodness!

Your description is lovley.

Great Chapter Ending

I loved the prologue!

Stuff that could use a little work:

Comma who?: You're a bit too liberal with the commas and semicolons. Read the sentence to yourself outloud and try and figure out if you need to pause where you've put the comma. I tried to catch as many rogue commas as I could, but I think you can figure out the rest. Also, although semicolons are ok, beware of them. It is sometimes better to either put a comma there, take the semicolon out, or simply split the idea into two sentences.

How Do I Feel: Okay, feeling. I need you to show us not tell us more of Dan's emotions. You say he felt embaressed, while you could have just said, heat rose up his neck, coloring his cheeks as he looked away, ashamed. or something like that. I like to know how characters feel, so let us into Dan's heart a bit more.

Show me a story: I've probably said this before but I always love to emphasize showing versus telling. Show us what dan does instead of telling. here is a random example of telling versus showing.
Addy juggled the balls. [telling]
[showing] Addy threw the first ball up in the air, the red object arching into her other hand. She fell into a rythm, the hacky sacks following each other above her head and back. (I know that's an awful example, but I think you get the point.

Other than that, keep up the work! This is definitley a huge improvement in your writing skills from the last story of yours that I read. I can't wait for the next chapter!!! Keep up the good work!
x,
Scasha

17 Reviews

Reviews: 17
Mon Aug 25, 2008 3:24 pm
Lena says...

It was Morning in the city of Derc, and the dim light that had begun to climb over the looming mountains[s];[/s] bathed the city in a mellow gold. Only the city's' old quarter was still in darkness, save for sparse pin-pricks of light that broke through the canopy of the masonry above. [s]Down in the old quarter of the city of Derc,[/s] the poor and destitute reside in the old quarter- hidden away from the wealth of the new city above[s], by pristine plateau and bridges[/s]. [s] remember to keep your passive voice to a minimum, and phrases after semi-colons must be able to stand on their own. 'Bathed the city in a mellow gold' is not a full sentence because is lacks a subject[/i]

It had been this way[s],[/s] ever since the small kingdom of Dercia began it[s]'[/s]s quest for empire. Ashamed of their nation's[s]'[/s] humble beginnings[s];[/s] the senate brushed their old culture aside, and renamed it "the loe-town.[/color" loe[s], being[/s] [color=red]mean dirty in old Dercian[s] for dirty[/s]. again, the phrase on each side of a semi colon must be a full sentence. 'Ashamed of their nation's humble beginnings' is not a full sentence

[s]Slowly, [/s]over time more [s]and more [/s]laws were passed to restrict the movement of the poor within the city[s].[/s], Until [s]the[/s] loe-town was completely sealed by walls and armed guards [s]and walls[s/]. Until the loe-town was completely sealed by armed guards and walls is, again, not a full sentence

[s]But[/s]Somewhere there is a Dercian saying:"The wind of change will find a way, and the loe will have their day". never start a sentence with 'but'

Chapter one.

The Loe-town had just begun to wake[s],[/s]. [s]as[/s] vendors and traders readied their wares.

One by one lanterns in the windows of homes that lined the streets[s],[/s] popped into brilliance - flooding the allies [s]and ways [/s]in a patch-work of colour.

Dan Kevalis[s],[/s] started his journey through the meandering streets of the Loe-town. Today he was seventeen[s],[/s] and he could begin his first day as an apprentice - his uncle [s]had[/s] pulled a few strings to get the local blacksmith to take him [s]o[/s]in. Dan had no interest in becoming a blacksmith. Most folk down in the Loe-town could only afford practical tools, but if he was a good enough smith[s];[/s], he might have the chance of moving up to the new city. you are using commas in areas where the sentence should be left free, and you are using semi-colons where there should be commas

However the position was not guaranteed[s], knowing this -[/s]. he stopped at a window that was still darkened by [s]the[/s] curtains on the other side. Dan licked his hand and wiped it over his hair, sweeping it to one side. ',knowing this -' and 'he stopped at a window that was...' have no connection. they don't need that little line thingy

Looking at his reflection[s],[/s] in the slightly warped glass[s];[/s], Dan saw a young, fair skinned man[s],[/s] with rich blond[s]e[/s] hair. Dan knew he had fine facial features, but the glass distorted his reflection. He was of an average height[s],[/s] and slim but had broad shoulders for his age. one of the best tips I've learned about creating your characters is to NOT make them pretty. It gets sort of boring and not very realistic. How likely is it that the person who goes through all of these amazing adventures is also the one guy in loe-town that is incredibly handsome?

[s]Satisfied that he looked somewhat tidy, [/s]he quickly straightened his shirt out and tidied the rolls in his sleeves. [s]Before[/s] a face emerged on the other side of the window[s],[/s] as the curtains were drawn apart. Startled, Dan jumped back and turned back into the street. 'before a face emerged on the otehr side of the window....' is NOT A FULL SENTENCE. and if he was satisfied with his appearance, why would he straighten his shirt more?

While Dan had been looking at his reflection, the street had started to become busy. [s]As[/s] stores opened, and women made for the public water fountains with buckets.

Turning the corner, he arrived at "Crafts way"[s],[/s]. he searched the signs for an anvil, but [s]he[/s] could find none. Only a small sign that read "Griffin's works". Bingo, Dan thought to himself[s].[/s], Remembering the name of the smith.

Gingerly, Dan made his way over to the workshop. He stopped at the entrance, where steam was escaping from the door[s] hanging[/s]. try not to use adverbs. i think Stephen King said that they are a 'gateway to hell' or something because they are really bad for your writing.

"Hello? Is this Griffin's blacksmiths?" Dan said in a shaky voice as he opened[s]pulled[/s] the door [s]hanging aside[/s].

There was no answer, only the sound of the cracking embers in the fire, punctuated with the hiss of boiling water.

Dan ventured into the shop. It was dark, light [s]only[/s] only by the large fire in the [s]centre[/s] center of the room[s];[/s], which flickered, [s]-[/s] casting long shadows on the walls[s],[/s] and illuminating threatening looking tools.

going further into the shop, Dan found a small room at the side that was sparsely furnished with a simple bed and wardrobe.

"Like it?" A large, bear like paw landed on Dan's shoulder. Turning round, Dam saw a man more than six f[s]oo[/s]eet tall, with [s]long[/s] tussled black hair [s]tussled and unkempt[/s]. He was broad[s],[/s] and had powerful arms from years of working steel. Dan could not see much of the man's face, as he was turned away from the fire.

"I'm sorry Sir, I didn't mean to intrude. I came to be an apprentice for Griffin," Dan said hurriedly.

"[s] [/s]I know, and this is where you'll be staying - you'll be working long hours son. So you'll need a place to sleep," The man explained. remember your dialogue rules[/color]

A sudden feeling of excitement and relief swept over Dan. Firstly, he wasn't going to have his legs broken for trespassing, and secondly he had the job! Dan beamed at the man before him. [i]this is a little cheesy...

"Thank you sir! I promise[s],[/s] I'll work really hard and i won't let you down, and I'm a really hard worker..." Dan cut himself short, just as he [s]had[/s] started to ramble.

Griffin released a deafening laugh, as he stepped away from the room and back toward the fire. He Scooped up a bucket full of hot coals and retreated into the darkness at the back of the shop. Where, without a moment's break, the sharp chime of metal being shaped commenced.

"So what's your name, boy? You're Errin Kelavis' nephew, right?" Griffin asked[s].[/s], His words punctuated with grunts as he struck steel. your overusing the words punctuated and steel

"Dan. My name is Dan, and yes Errin's my uncle." Dan felt a little lost for words, he milled around the room[s];[/s] playing with the soot on a work bench.

A long silence passed, and the awkwardness grew. Dan had no idea of what he was expected to do, but didn't have the courage to interrupt Griffin while he was busy. Dan looked around the room for a chore that he could busy himself with. Spotting a broom, he seized it and began to sweep the metal filings and dieing embers into a corner.

"Sweeping," [s]R[/s]replied Dan nervously.

"Sweeping?[s]![/s]" Griffin gave out another roar of laughter. "Come over here and make yourself useful". Griffin seems a little to hearty and cheerful to make Dan so nervous

A wave of embarrassment and awkwardness swept over Dan. Throwing the broom into a corner, he hurried over to the anvil at the back of the shop. you're overusing awkward

As he passed the great fire in the middle of the room, an agoni[s]s[/s]zing [s]pang of[/s] pain seared through the left side of his body. The pain tore into his skin, biting at his flesh. Before he Dan could figure out what was wrong[s];[/s], he was on the cold ground looking up at Griffin, but the man's words were muted, and slowly everything faded to black.

Okay, dude, you like really need to work on your sentence structure. Or at least take middle school language arts. I learned how to make a full sentence in 6th grade. The other thing is that you made Dan seem like a nervous little boy.

Fix your grammar. Don't ignore my post because most of the errors I showed you were grammatical, so the story would be all screwed up if you didn't edit in the places I showed.
she's a runner, rebel and a stunner, lookin' down the barrel of a hot metal .45, just another way to survive...

myspace? http://www.myspace.com

11 Reviews

Reviews: 11
Wed Nov 26, 2008 6:26 pm
shadowbox says...

You have a gift for description to be admired, but I fear you use the name Dan far to often. I know it is easy to feel you are using the word 'he' to much, but same goes for the proper. In using his name so frequently, especially so in the beginning, it gives it a childish air, where repeating words is encouraged. I will say that you do third person writing with extraordinary skill, however, and I have very little qualms with this piece. In fact, I must read more. :)

Reviews: 1
Thu Nov 27, 2008 5:44 am
Enigmatic_Penguin says...

I have to agree with Lena, Dan seems really nervous for his supposed age of 17; perhaps you could lower the age of Dan a bit? I feel that 17 is a bit too old for an apprenticeship; maybe you could make him a timid 14 year old?

I see that you have already written more chapters following, so if my suggestions become unreasonable, I apologize.

Asides from that and the grammatical issues pointed out earlier by other users, I thought it was a good read; it kept me reading, instead of just glancing.

Reviews: 3
Fri Nov 28, 2008 5:55 am
Krazyskooter says...

I agree with shadowbox, My own sentence structure is terrible so I tend to over look that, but my biggest problem when I read something is having the characters name used over and over and over and over. It's like your story was saying "Look at me! Me, me, me, me, me!" instead of focusing on the story I found myself counting the number of times the name dan is mentioned, and how many more times I would have to read it. Other than that I'd follow the experts advice. Great story Btw.

Facebook is that cockroach that you just can't kill
— Gravity