z

Young Writers Society

Life: In Which Mistakes Are Made.

896 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 896
Wed Jul 02, 2008 5:00 pm
PenguinAttack says...

My fingers twitch. Her hair is tousled so alluringly that I almost reach out to her. Still, the spark in her eyes as she flinches back angers me. She is mine to own. Worthless without her beauty, she clings to it. Even as I spread my fingers, ready to discipline her should the need arise, her hands slip up to cup her cheeks, to cover her pretty little eyes from my gaze.

It's thick, colouring my vision in monochromatic rust; the blood behind my eyes. Looking down on her I can hardly breathe for the tension in my chest. Her delicate hands still cover her face but I feel as though she has claws, and they dig into my bones. Her chest heaves with pent-up tears and her eyes remain dry.

My eyes roam down her frame. She is a whore, her dress ripped and jagged above her knees, underwear peeking though her spread legs. She has fallen; I have pulled her, her knees striking the wooden boards with a resounding slap. Cowering there she defies me, refusing to look me in the eyes, as is my right. My hand reaches out, gripping the dark copper of her hair, yanking it forward. It takes an age for her to come to me, neck straining, fingernails grasping.

Had she not defied me, had she just done what she had been told, she would not have this problem. It is her fault. She is a whore who needs discipline. I am her master, and she will learn to bow to the superiority before her.

Even as I think of her split lip, the rusty shards of blood floating to coat my feet, I feel my anger surge. The whore has lain with dozens of men. Brothers of mine, in flesh and spirit, have tasted what she offered so sweetly. Maybe it was the sickly tinge of her rouged cheek, barely covering the bruise, or the clumsy attempt to tidy herself up as she left my elder brother's room. Whatever it was, I was drawn in. She offered herself to me in clear understanding. Green eyes locked with mine, staring at me with coy lust. Even then she was a whore.

The world is a haze, my vision fading between oblivion and some ethereal, frost covered glass, and all I can see is her.

She seems so pretty as I stretched her further, yanking her wrists above her head until I hear the pop of her joints. I am not prepared, not completely. I slip back a little; it is surprising how easily that pointy little nose could crinkle and break. I feel astounded, how unaware I used to be, she is so beautiful now. Her body twists and curls as I demand, arching as I pull harder and longer. I can see that there is a pleasure on her face, even as her eyelids tighten and her lips lose colour, she enjoys our time together. She tries to hide it. Her skin reddens and her eyes spill tears, but as my hot breath settles against her neck, I feel her tighten and shiver. Her mouth widens, and I see her eyes roll as she whimpers for me. The sharp sting of her teeth distracts me from her eyes and I know I growl as her eyes widen in fear. My hand grasps her chin, and I see my fingers digging in against her petite jaw, even as I drag my hand away again and raise it in front of her eyes.

I know she understands. My hand slices down against her cheek, and her head thuds against the floor. Her eyes are hidden by hair, sticky and clumped in knots; I see her lips move in faint whispers but can’t hear her. She knows I do this for her. So she can be the best she can be.

I enjoy watching her learn, how utterly satisfying this is; to be able to completely discipline her when she did wrong. To see her writhe on the floorboards, flecked with her own fluids – blood, sweat, tears, my darling is so cliché - fills me with a sense of control I have yet to chronicle in my life. Yes... yes, she is indeed my little whore, and how I do love her. It is an epiphany I feel, this is the love that neither of us can escape. We are to be, fated. I know she will learn now.

My fingers slide out, shaky with reality, as I make to help her up. She flinches.

Blood gels against the wall as she slides slowly down. Lidded eyes stare out at me, accusing and hateful, even in their drugged state. I can hardly feel; limbs heavy without nerves. My fingers itch to touch her again, I see them clench against my palm, drawing small sickles of red skin. Her mouth is open; I see her tongue touching the inside of the corner of her lips. Slick and fine, blood drips slowly from that gaping frown, sticking to her chin.

The slow throb at my chest makes me look down. Three long marks adorn my skin. Clotting with thick blood, the marks seem to expand and swell with rich padding.

Sighing, I look down at her, hard eyes staring at me with undisguised malice. I can see her legs, twisted at angles that shouldn't exist. Her arm is bent and her blood spills on the old floor, staining the boards thick red. Yet she still defies me. It seems she will never learn to bow.

It is so cold.

His hands leave warm imprints against my skin whenever he touches me. Marking my body with his fingerprint, making me his to own, again and again. The warmth is fleeting, so each time he hits me, each time he caresses me, it stings with heat.

I know that I will cry and wail when he hits me, but that makes him so mad that he hits me again, so I will try not to. It frightens me that I think of the next time and it isn’t an “if” but a “when.” I don’t understand why I am being punished. I don’t understand why he calls me a whore and slaps me so hard that I can’t feel my teeth – or perhaps I can feel my teeth and that’s why my jaw pains me so. My mind wanders now, and I’m not sure of the time or how long I’ve been here, how long he had been hitting me or how long I have until he starts again.

I can’t remember if there are windows in the room, I know that I had noticed when we first entered. I was giggling, and he kept his arm wrapped around my waist, whispering how much he loved me against my ear. His breath was cold and I shivered, looking to see if there was a window I should close. I know that I wasn’t prepared, not for the first slap. I can’t remember. Not what I was doing, or why, or how it felt, now.

Everything becomes a blur when my head whips to the side, he slaps me often now. They are soft though; the slaps. His hands are soft too, with drying blood, and gentle as he cradles my head against his knee. I can feel the fear in my chest, thudding up against my ribcage, like my heart is trying to tell him I won’t give up. I swallow as carefully as I can, feeling my throat scream in protest, I squeak as the pulse in my neck speeds up. I know my blood rushes about my body, trying to reach all my limbs at once, to heal me quickly. My mind is tired, though, and I want to give up, even if my body doesn’t.

I don’t know what I want anymore, he is just so kind now, and it is almost as if this is a dream. I want to wake up and realise that he sleeps beside me, curled with his arm about my waist, nose in my hair. The pain is the only reminder.

His hand strokes along my hair as I begin to cry against the bleached fabric of his jeans, and he does not hit me for ruining his clothes. I can hardly breathe, red mucus spurts from my nose as I cough, and pink saliva drips down against the floor. I think the boards used to be brown. A mottled, old brown, that said that the house was old and creaky. Dusty with age, so that my hand prints smear in red-brown dirt, and I cough out the blood. He uses that word a lot; love. He tells me that, over and over again. I love you. I think he wants me to respond. I can’t. When I open my mouth, a low keening noise shudders out, and I have to click my teeth together to stop from vomiting.

I know that the jiggle of his knee is him getting angry again, so I keep my eyes low, and try not to move. His fingers tangle in my hair, yanking back so my eyes stare into his own. They’re full of emotion, those eyes. Before this, I didn’t believe that people had emotions in their eyes. It was silly, to think these big, intangible, things could end up inside such small vessels. Now I watch his eyes, and I see it all there. He loves me, and he hates me, and he’s so very confused that he’s not sure which he’s acting on. I hope I’m wrong. I hope that he will stand up, and help me up, and we will leave and not come back to this dark place.

There are no windows. I can see that now, even though my sight blurs at the edges. No light filters in through boarded up spaces, and I can’t see the door. I don’t remember how we came in. I am beginning to panic again, my heart is fighting its own race, and I bite my lip, even though it hurts so much. He is no longer whispering, but staring at my eyes, seeing through me again.

He says he had to teach me, because I was a whore. He repeats this too; whore. He punishes me because he loves me. The present tense he uses fills me with fear again. He has not finished. I wonder if he will let me go a while, before the next lesson. I pray.

There is blood on my hands. No matter how hard I wash it stays there, staining my hands forever. I can see it coating my fingers, drying under my fingernails and spotting my limbs. It is everywhere. When I look into the mirror all I can see is her face. Staring at me, willing to be set free, to let her out of the prison I left her in. Chained in my mind, she cannot move, only torment me silently; my ears fill with her screams, her eyes are glaring out at me from her figure in every surface.

She lies rotting under the floorboards of that forgotten home. Missing, disappeared, assumed alive and living it up in some unknown city of night - like she had always threatened. My hands refuse to stay clean. My mind refuses to sleep. I can hardly get up in the morning, and fall into restless nightmares at night. Anything more strains my conscious thoughts.

Slipping out the door one night, running into my brother in the corridor, I catch a glimpse of her. My beautiful little whore; alive and well, as I know she has always been. She has tricked me, and run back to my brother for protection. She can change her appearance all she likes, but I know it is her. Our eyes make contact, breaking off moments later than they should. This time, I smile and retreat back to my room; this time she will learn to bow.
Last edited by PenguinAttack on Tue Mar 24, 2009 12:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
I like you as an enemy, but I love you as a friend.

402 Reviews

Reviews: 402
Wed Jul 02, 2008 8:23 pm
Clo says...

Thick emotions pulse along my veins

I don't care much for this sentence. It's surrounded in wonderful sentences, and then I read this... blech.

I can see that there is a pleasure on her face, even as her eyelids tighten and her lips lose colour, she enjoys our time together.

There should be a connector, like a semi-colon or "and" in between "face" and "even" to help this sentence flow more evenly.

I don’t know what I want anymore, he is just so kind now, and it is almost as if this is a dream. I want to wake up and realise that he sleeps beside me, curled with his arm about my waist, nose in my hair. The pain is the only reminder.

He goes from hitting her, to being kind. There isn't much of a transition - I was a little startled.

As sadistic as it seems for me to say, I really like this. It was sick - I'm sure you meant it to be, but it's written well and the macabre message comes through.

It can be a stand alone piece - I doubt there's more. I think it's fine the way it is. Haha, it's hard to read more torture anyway. :? Still good though.
How am I not myself?

3821 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 3821
Thu Jul 03, 2008 5:31 pm
Snoink says...

A couple of thoughts:

First of all, the first narrator either seems like a girl or an old man. This is because the voice just sounds really really bitter. And I say them both because some of the descriptions, such as the awareness of feelings, the drawn out drama and such, really seem more feminine or more experienced... if it is a girl, then she is simply observing it and connecting it with her emotions, trying to make some sense out of it. If it a guy, then he is looking for these things to happen, which indicate that he is experienced with this, which gives us the illusion of time on his side.

The more the story comes, the more the first narrator seems to be this older man, possibly in his fifties, and I say this because of the creepy "teach her a lesson" theme that comes about. There are lines such as this, "She is a whore who needs discipline. I am her master, and she will learn to bow to the superiority before her" and "I enjoy watching her learn, how utterly satisfying this is; to be able to completely discipline her when she did wrong" that give us the sense that he is truly teaching her a lesson. But what makes it truly creepy is the next POV, the girl's. She says, "He punishes me because he loves me" and that is alarming, if only because he doesn't directly tell her that he loves her. Instead, she comes up with this using her own cognitive process, which is bizarre. If this seems like a slip up, then one of the next sentences proves that thought wrong when she thinks, "I wonder if he will let me go a while, before the next lesson." The fact that she describes this torture sequence as a "lesson" shows that she considers herself his pupil. Very bizarre.

Of course, this makes the relationship such that the first narrator seems to be a father figure of sorts and the girl appears to be a daughter of sorts to him. Weird, no?

The last part is kind of a cop out, methinks. You might want to tweak it some. It seems like you're trying to end it as quickly as you can--probably because of the word limit. :P
Ubi caritas est vera, Deus ibi est.

"The mark of your ignorance is the depth of your belief in injustice and tragedy. What the caterpillar calls the end of the world, the Master calls the butterfly." ~ Richard Bach

Moth and Myth <- My comic! :D

896 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 896
Sat Jul 05, 2008 2:10 am
PenguinAttack says...

Muchas gracias to you both!

I'll work on that line, Clo, and have a look at the other things you pointed out, you make complete sense. ^^

And thanks, Curves! I'll see what I can do to make him a little more masculine and her not sound so silly. My characters don't know who they're meant to be! It's shocking. ^^

Thanks, again!

*Hearts* Le Penguin.
I like you as an enemy, but I love you as a friend.

1258 Reviews

Reviews: 1258
Sun Jul 06, 2008 9:31 pm
Sam says...

Sarah! *rubs with fish*

Basically? I love this piece--the title is awesome, and you had a few lines ("my darling is so cliché", for one) that I read over several times to savor. I like the idea of the ending, too. I didn't catch on to the idea of a modern-day Jack the Ripper until the very end, but then it was quite cool. ^_^

TMI / TLI

You had an interesting mix (minx?) in this piece between too much information, and too little information. Crazy as that sounds, it's easy to do when you're trying to make a point or just have to wrap up somewhere. If you want to keep the briefness of the piece, but fix this problem, you can take some of the repetitive beating scenes and substitute more explanation for the ending. I've used this metaphor today already, and I'm sorry if it was on you, but try to think of your "shock factor" writing as a horror film--it's really scary the first time through, but almost comical after six run-throughs, just because you're hardened to it and know what to expect. You should take the same approach with this piece. The repeated beating might be "gritty" or "real" or "chilling", but it'll be a lot more shocking and make more of an impact if it's one particularly creative punishment or just one good slap.

MOTIVE

Like the actual Jack the Ripper, the guy in this piece didn't seem to have much of a motive besides, "I just have a really good time roughing up prostitutes". And while that might be the way some people think, it doesn't work well in fiction or on screen because people always want to know why, why, why. That's another thing you can put in instead of some of the gore--why is this guy doing this? Is he a body snatcher? Does he need a new kidney? Did he have a spectacularly bad night with this girl? Did he know her previously? You can stretch it a bit, since this piece doesn't focus so much on plot, but he does need some motive for his actions, or it doesn't make a lot of sense.

___

^_^ Yay! Thanks for the read, Sarah--you know where to bug me if you have any questions.
Graffiti is the most passionate form of literature there is.

- Demetri Martin

387 Reviews

Reviews: 387
Tue Jul 08, 2008 6:16 pm
yoha_ahoy says...

"Her chest heaves with pent-up tears and her eyes remain dry."
I hate the phrase "her chest heaves" just because it's used so much to describe crappy romance novels. I avoid it like the plague, I'd suggest you do as well. :)

"The world is a haze, my vision fading between oblivion and some ethereal, frost covered glass, and all I can see is her."
I love this line. Great description up to this point too. I am intrigued.

Oooh, very cool. I read to the end and it's very neat. I love the point of view of the girl. And the bit at the end was a fantastic twist. Nothing wrong grammatically that I noticed. Interesting how you sort of hinted at the extent of the abuse while making it sound lighter... but it was a bit confusing at times. I was wondering if he was really just gently slapping her, or if he was really being that violent. Maybe a little bit of clarity in places.

Overall, very well done. I enjoyed this. A good, violent read. :P

~Yoyo 8)
@(^_^)@
Got YWS?

252 Reviews

Reviews: 252
Fri Jul 11, 2008 3:20 am
Insomnia says...

Hey, Pengy. ^_^ This was actually really creepy. It's the sort of thing that's great from you. Yes, it's a compliment. :P There were just a few things that I noticed here, and none were actually specifically wrong. Most are probably just a preference thing.

My eyes roam down her frame.

Just an opinion, but that would sound better as, "My eyes roam her frame."

Cowering there she defies me,

Add another comma after "there". It adds suspense, and makes it flow better.

She seems so pretty as I stretched her further,

Stretch, maybe? I'm not sure there.

to be able to completely discipline her when she did wrong.

Does?

The warmth is fleeting, so each time he hits me, each time he caresses me, it stings with heat.

The "so" seems out of place here. Try replacing it and instead putting a semi-colon.

And... that's all I found. You have the tone of the man perfectly, I think. His words just seem to suit him as a character, so good job with that. I can't find the exact parts now, but some part's of the woman's seem to deviate slightly from the rest in tone. Or maybe I'm just delusional. ;) Have a look through, though, and you might see something.

Your description was amazing, as usual. It goes as a given with your work, so I don't even need to comment on it. It created the atmosphere perfectly.

-Mat

2631 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 2631
Sun Jul 20, 2008 3:17 pm
Rydia says...

Sorry it's taken me so long to get to this, my dear. I'm just going to go ahead and start with a line by line and then see if I can summarize at the end:
My fingers twitch. Her hair is tousled so alluringly that I almost reach out to her. Still, the spark in her eyes as she flinches back angers me. [Does this spark discourage him from reaching out to her? Maybe 'but' would fit better than still if that's the case. Or even 'But still, the spark....' would work.] She is mine to own. Worthless without her beauty, she clings to it. Even as I spread my fingers, ready to discipline her should the need arise, her hands slip up to cup her cheeks, to cover her pretty little eyes from my gaze.
Thick emotions pulse along my veins, colouring my vision in monochromatic rust; blood behind the eyes. [The end of this sentence is gorgeous but it starts off a little weakly. I think it's the use of 'thick' which feels a little vague and ordinary. Maybe bulging would be better?] Looking down upon her I can hardly breathe for the tension in my chest. [This would be more dramatic if you split it into a series of short sentences that are more direct observations. For example, you could have something like: 'A gnawing tension builds within my chest. I can hardly breathe.' It has the effect of making the narrator less distant from the events, as if they are happening now, as he dictates them rather than in the past if that makes any sense? It just makes it more direct, cutting out your narrator's description of what he is doing (i.e. looking at the girl) and replacing it with the show of what he is doing, the impression of it.] Her delicate hands still cover her face but I feel as though she has claws, and they dig into my bones. [Again, here you could change that into a metaphor rather than a simile so that instead of describing how he feels, he's showing it. Something like: 'Her delicate hands still cover her face but those blistered claws dig into my bones.'] Her chest heaves with pent-up tears and her eyes remain dry.

She seems so pretty as I stretched [Should be 'stretch.' Try not to lapse into past tense.] her further, yanking her wrists above her head until I hear the pop of her joints. I am not prepared, not completely. I slip back a little; it is surprising how easily that pointy little nose could crinkle and break. I feel astounded, how unaware I used to be, she is so beautiful now. Her body twists and curls as I demand, arching as I pull harder and longer. I can see that there is a pleasure on her face, even as her eyelids tighten and her lips lose colour, she enjoys our time together. She tries to hide it. Her skin reddens and her eyes spill tears, but as my hot breath settles against her neck, I feel her tighten and shiver. Her mouth widens, and I see her eyes roll as she whimpers for me. The sharp sting of her teeth distracts me from her eyes and I know I growl as her eyes widen in fear. My hand grasps her chin, and I see my fingers digging in against her petite jaw, even as I drag my hand away again and raise it in front of her eyes.

I enjoy watching her learn, how utterly satisfying this is; to be able to completely discipline her when she did [Should be does.] wrong. To see her writhe on the floorboards, flecked with her own fluids – blood, sweat, tears, my darling is so cliché - fills me with a sense of control I have yet to chronicle in my life. Yes... yes, she is indeed my little whore, and how I do love her. It is an epiphany I feel, this is the love that neither of us can escape. We are to be, fated. I know she will learn now.

The slow throb at my chest makes me look down. Three long marks adorn my skin. Clotting with thick blood, the marks seem to expand and swell with rich padding.
Sighing, I look down at her, [You use the action of 'look down' too often. Try to find an alternative.] hard eyes staring at me with undisguised malice. I can see her legs, twisted at angles that shouldn't exist. Her arm is bent and her blood spills on the old floor, staining the boards thick red. Yet she still defies me. It seems she will never learn to bow.

I know that I will cry and wail when he hits me, but that makes him so mad that he hits me again, so I will try not to. It frightens me that I think of the next time and it isn’t an “if” but a “when.” I don’t understand why I am being punished. I don’t understand why he calls me a whore and slaps me so hard that I can’t feel my teeth – or perhaps I can feel my teeth and that’s why my jaw pains me so. My mind wanders now, and I’m not sure of the time or how long I’ve been here, how long he had [Should be has.] been hitting me or how long I have until he starts again.

Everything becomes a blur when my head whips to the side, [I think a semi colon here rather than a comma perhaps?] he slaps me often now. They are soft though; the slaps. His hands are soft too, with drying blood, and gentle as he cradles my head against his knee. I can feel the fear in my chest, thudding up against my ribcage, like my heart is trying to tell him I won’t give up. I swallow as carefully as I can, feeling my throat scream in protest, I squeak as the pulse in my neck speeds up. I know my blood rushes about my body, trying to reach all my limbs at once, to heal me quickly. My mind is tired, though, and I want to give up, even if my body doesn’t.

Okay, I firstly wanted to compliment you on your style. There's a lovely creepiness to this piece and I love that Gothic element you're playing with but I think you need to be careful not to get lost in the fun of the gore. The others are right: your reader does need more of a why. I get the feeling that your first Narrator's mind is more than a little unhitched and that this killing of prostitutes is quite a frequent event of his, spurting from some initial dispute with his brother and an original woman who is now long dead and laying under the floor-boards.

But then, I might be reading too much into it. I don't know. But your subtle hints aren't quite enough to tell the story of your piece. Extend this. If you're trying to keep to a word limit, wither remove a little of the gore or write a second version without the word limit where you're free to take your time and slowly ooze the story into it.

Good work though! Maybe work on your female narrator's outside thoughts a little and leak a few drops of information about how she knows the brother or who else is an influence in her life -- often a person's thoughts goes to loved ones when they're in such awful situations, maybe when he's being kind for that briefest of moments -- and then feel free to pm me and ask me to read it a second time.

Hope this helps a little and once more, sorry for the delay,

Heather xx
Writing Gooder

~Previously KittyKatSparklesExplosion15~

The light shines brightest in the darkest places.

“Christmas won’t be Christmas without any presents!”
— Little Women