z

Young Writers Society

Gypsie Eyes: prologue and chapter one

440 Reviews

Reviews: 440
Mon Jun 16, 2008 3:40 pm
gyrfalcon says...

Prologue

The children were not, as any casual observer would think, watching the storyteller. She sat on a stump in the field west of the town, with the eleven of them arranged in a semicircle around her. But the children’s eyes were focused on the frail boy who sat on the grass nearest her. He was the only one who did watch her and his pale blue eyes twitched in annoyance whenever she lied—a judgment the children took to heart. They trusted him more than any adult, because he could talk to the gulls by the river-port and, as far as they were concerned, knew everything. His name was Avarn. He was their king.

Sitting beside him in the summer meadow was his second-in-command, a tall girl named Karenna. She had curly brown hair that she refused to put into sensible braids. Her dark locks hung in front of her face, screening her eyes as her fingers played idly with the long grasses. They were even more afraid of her.

Finally the lady finished her tale and gave them a lofty smile, unaware that she had been caught out in every single human-superiority lie. All the children knew the real story. Avarn had told them often enough, and he would tell them again tonight. But for now they scattered back to town, called home for lunch by the tolling of the town square’s bell tower.

Avarn and Karenna didn’t scatter, even when the storyteller glanced questioningly back at them as she made her own way home. She had yet to learn that Avarn and Karenna obeyed the bell only when it suited them.

Instead the two friends ambled for a time in the field, Karenna picking flowers to stick in her thick hair and Avarn studiously correcting the storyteller’s lies. “She made the Elementars sound like monsters,” he said, crossing his arms in frustration. “And how, by Werenna, did she come up with the idea that Gypsies are inherently below humans?” Karenna barely listened to him, she had head it so often before, but the familiar sound of his voice was an essential part of the day, like the warm sunlight and the fragrant field. Eventually Avarn declared it was time to return to town, and they went together down to the docks. There they walked along the riverside until they came to the place where the fishermen dumped their garbage. There were gulls there, hundreds of them, calling and screaming and fighting over scraps and half-rotten fish skeletons. Avarn gave a call in their own language, and one of the gulls fluttered over to him. This gull flew badly, his recently-broken wing jerking as he flapped. Harassed and scrawny, he scoffed down the crust of bread that Avarn offered him.

Karenna smiled and stroked his head. The gull would have snapped at anyone else, but he knew Karenna. He knew that if he hurt her the boy with the water-like eyes would not feed him again. He was quite bright, for a gull.

At length, Avarn spoke, his earlier indignation gone. “Karenna,” he said quietly, “do you think there’s something wrong with me?”

She looked at her leader sharply; he had never said anything like this before. “No, of course not!”
He smiled. “My parents aren’t my real parents.” This was a well-known fact; the two people who had raised him were an elderly leather-merchant and his sister, both kind but fading people.

“Neither are mine,” she rebuffed.

He shifted his gaze back to the gull. “I think,” he said softly, “I think there may well be something different about me. I think that I may not be here much longer.”

“Why?” demanded Karenna.

“I saw a lady yesterday, a new lady. She had long black hair like mine and she said she was my real mother, that I was special, and that tonight, after the story, I must go away to stay with her and her husband.”

“Your father?”

Avarn shook his head. “No. She said she didn’t know who my father was but she was lying.”

"How do you know she's your real mother?"

Avarn gave her a half-smile. "Karenna, it's me."

Karenna stayed quiet for a few moments, stroking the bird. “I don’t want you to go,” she said at last, her words barely a whisper.

“I don’t want to go.”

“Then stay!” At her cry the gull squawked and threatened to fly off. “Why can’t you stay here, my parents can keep you, or you can hide with the gulls and tell them to attack anyone but me who comes near. Or we could—”

He held up a hand, and his eyes were serious. “Karenna,” he soothed, “I won’t be gone forever.”

“I’ll never see you again.” She was close to tears, but she fought them back.

“Of course you will,” he said. “I promise. She’ll teach me to be a magician, like she said, and then I’ll come back to you. I promise, Karenna.”

“Is she a magician?” Karenna knew how rare that particular class of magic user was, and the thought of Avarn as one made sense to her.

“Yes. And she says that’s why I can talk to gulls and things, because I have an afin…an affin-i-ty for them, for water and air things. She has an affin-i-ty for fire things.”

Karenna considered. “But what if, once you’re a magician, she locks you up in a tower so you can’t be a better magician than her?”

He thought about this for a moment. “Well then I’ll send a gull to come and get you and bring you to me, so you can free me from her and we can stop whatever evils she’s doing together.”

She liked the thought. “Like they do in the stories?”

Avarn smiled. “Yes, in all the best stories. But you have to promise to follow the gull when I send him.”

Karenna clasped her hands to her heart. “I promise.”

He put his hands over hers. “And I promise to never, never forget you, Karenna Morn.”

Chapter One

Tannar watched the young woman as she slept, wondering idly how much damage a well-placed hailstone could do to that willowy body. He decided against it. A solitary hailstone in the middle of spring would be suspicious. Moreover, he had been given specific instructions as to her safety. As he continued to watch her, scratching at the bronze bands around his wrists, he decided he didn’t really want to hurt her. He just wanted her to never have been born.

The wagon they were in trundled along in its caravan, the ground beneath the wheels growing muddy from the mounting rainstorm. The water dripping through the canvas overhead woke her and she started, drawing her bag closer to her body. He couldn’t stop staring at her face. There was something about her eyes.

“I’m Karenna Morn,” she said, snapping him out of his study of her.

“How nice for you,” he replied. She had stopped looking directly at him.

“What’s your name?” she asked. “Sorry to be forward, but you joined three days ago and I still don’t know it.”

He crossed his arms. “Tannar.”

She waited, presumably for a surname. He sighed. It wasn’t her fault, not really. And, to be fair, he had been the one to push Avarn to this. “That’s it,” he said, waving his arms expansively. “Just Tannar.”

“Doesn’t that mean Windstorm?”

He blinked. “How do you know Elemental?”

Her cheeks reddened, but not out of embarrassment. She averted her gaze. “I know a few words.”

He watched her with renewed focus. Maybe there was something special here. Avarn hadn’t mentioned any mage talents. Of course, Avarn hadn’t mentioned the eyes either. Tannar settled back, scratching at the flesh around his wristbands again. This might be interesting after all.

Karenna found it difficult to avoid his probing stare, and the more he tried to lock eyes with her the tighter she clutched her bag. The comforting shape of the wooden box within calmed her. Finally Tannar gave up his intense study of her face, and the rain slackened off.

The wagon jerked, sending a wine barrel toppling down onto her. It pinned her, and she could hear the contents sloshing around as she struggled to move it. The rough wood of the barrel scraped her hands and the smell of wine made her want to gag.

Tannar watched her for a moment, then leaned forward and shifted the barrel with little discernable effort. For an instant he was above her, his soft black eyes looking directly down into hers. Karenna could have sworn there was something invisible and otherworldly behind those eyes. And then he was back on his side of the wagon, and she shook her head, dislodging such fancies.

She sat up, still clutching the bag. He wasn’t looking at her anymore, and a part of her wished that he would. With the strength born of long practice, she shut the door on such emotions and settled back to sleep.

That night the three wagons of the caravan drew together in a circle around the blazing fire. A handsome black coach had joined them that morning, but now it sat a good distance away. Apparently its occupant would not deign to join his fellows. Tannar couldn’t blame him.

There were five other youths heading for the Dirantyr Training Academé, huddling together as if they had never been more than a few miles from home before. While their government required two years of training at their Academé, it did not provide transport. Most students, like these, negotiated rides on the supply wagons that streamed westward every spring, in caravans for safety.

The Academé would provide a somewhat higher degree of education than what these children had learned at home, as well as training them in the basics of war-making. Even though the plague fifty years ago had depleted Dirantyr’s population and army, it knew how to use resources, and how to train its children.

Those students who wanted to join the steadily-rebuilding army would be sent to different locations for further training. And for those who showed mage talents—well, half the teachers were mages of one kind or another, and all Possible Mages were earmarked almost from the first day of classes. If nothing else, Dirantyr had a higher level of magic in its population than almost any other realm, and was careful not to waste any of it.

But the five clustered around the bonfire didn’t look promising.

Tannar hated fire, but he could not be seen acting like he didn’t need its warmth. So he sat as far away from the dancing flames as he could while still being touched by the heat. Karenna seemed to have no more love for the element than he did. She was perched on the offending wine barrel directly across from him, watching the flames with a definite air of distrust. The man next to her was scarred and carrying a sheathed sword—apparently some kind of guard for the caravan. He offered her some cheese, and she turned to accept it. As soon as he saw her face he started, dropping the cheese to the muddy ground. “You’ve got Gypsie Eyes!” he exclaimed. Tannar tensed.

Karenna sprang to her feet, holding out her hands. “Please,” she said above the sounds of surprise, “I’m not a Gypsie. I swear, I’m not.”

Dark mutterings began to rise from the drivers, fearful whispers from the youths. “My sister’s little girl got lost in that Gypsies’ Forest more than a month ago,” said one of the wagon masters, loud enough for all to hear. “They haven’t seen her since!”

“That’s nothing to do with me!” Karenna yelled in rising panic. “My eyes are just a fluke, I swear.”

“That might be,” said the man who had just spoken. “But to have their eyes and their height?”

At his accusation the other men of the caravan stood. Only three of the dozen or so were taller than Karenna, and not by much. Tannar hadn’t noticed it before, cramped in the wagon as they often were, but now that he looked he saw she did indeed have a Gypsie’s tall, thin build, the arms and legs just that tiny bit longer than normal. This was not looking good. Karenna just stood there, speechless, as if no one had ever noticed her height before. She finally managed to stammer, “My father was a tall man…”

But now they were moving towards her slowly, half cautious of the inhuman magic that all Gypsies could summon at a whim, half weary from their long day of travel. Karenna backed away, her placating arms still spread. “Please,” she whispered, and they paused. This wasn’t normal Gypsie behavior, this timidity.

Tannar sighed. He should probably intervene. He rose to his feet, casually but in such a way that no one could fail to notice. “If she were a Gypsie,” he said, trying to sound bored as if the topic were of no personal interest to him, “what were you planning on doing with her? Kill her? Drive her away?” He gave them a chance to reflect on this. Did they want to be the kind of men who harmed a frightened, unthreatening girl? “Take another look, gentlemen—does she at all resemble one of those vagabonds? Why, she trembles like a leaf when you so much as look at her.”

“Why are you so eager to step up in her defense?” shouted one of the hotter-headed men. But the others seemed to be reconsidering. They’d had a full day, and it wasn’t as if she were acting even remotely like the sly, devious thieves and snatchers they’d heard of. On top of this, what Gypsie would be so stupid to wander so far from its own territory? And try to pass itself off as a human kid? He could almost see the thoughts turning in their minds, and shook his head. Such easily influenced creatures.

Still, Tannar couldn’t afford to let the question pass unanswered. He shrugged. “She’s been riding in the same wagon as me—don’t you think I’d have noticed if she cursed the horses or ate her meat raw?”

This seemed to satisfy them more than anything, for with his average build and normal-colored eyes, there was no way he could be anything other than human. Slowly they settled down, but all of them gave Karenna a wide berth. She glanced around at her suddenly distant companions. With a sigh, she sat down and stared at the fire.

Tannar had learned the price of compassion; the bands around his wrists spoke volumes about the folly of pity. And yet he felt sorry for her. Inwardly berating himself for his stupidity, he caught her gaze. She glanced up at him, her expression wary. He smiled and, for an instant, let his eyes glow with their natural cerulean brilliance.

Karenna lay in the wagon, pretending to be asleep. She heard Tannar’s breathing, steady and low, but there was something artificial about it. It sounded as if he had only ever watched other people sleep. She opened her eyes a slit.

“Having trouble sleeping?” he asked. Karenna’s heart lurched in surprise.

“Having trouble yourself?” she whispered. The incident earlier had frightened her more than she cared to show, and she was still not sure how to go about thanking Tannar. Had he truly been trying to protect her? Or had it just been some sort of whim?

Tannar shrugged. “I’m not tired.”

No, of course you’re not, she thought. I haven’t seen you sleep for the past two nights in a row. Why should this night be any different? The wagon wasn’t moving. The driver, at least, had the usual human requirements for rest. Karenna sat up and hugged her knees to her chest. It was dark, outside and in, and the thin layer of wagon canvas and the homespun weave of her dress did little to stave off the spring chill. She shivered.

He cocked his head to one side. “Are you cold?”

Karenna set her head on her knees. “Yes.”

Tannar slipped off his dark cloak and passed it across to her. Karenna let her fingers explore the garment. The fabric was soft wool lined with something that felt like silk. Her adopted mother was a weaver, and so she knew the world of fabric inside and out, but she refused to believe that a boy with a silk-lined cloak would travel to the Dirantyr Training Academé in a rickety wagon. She wrapped it around herself, feeling the smooth fabric against her skin. Definitely silk.

“Thank you,” she said, trying to make the words apply to more than just the cloak.

Again, the silhouette shrugged. “You can keep it if you like.”

Karenna gaped. “You’ve got to be joking.”

Tannar did not answer for a long time, and Karenna got the impression that he was staring at her again. She folded the cloak more tightly around herself, aware for the first time how small the space between them was. “What is it?”

He shook his head slightly. “Nothing,” he said, his voice softer than she had ever heard it. “Sorry for staring…yes, go ahead and keep the cloak, I don’t need it.” With that he lay down and rolled over so he wasn’t facing her. Karenna watched him for only a moment before doing likewise.

High in the mountains north of Dirantyr stood a castle. Most of it was carved from the mountain behind it, and its spines jutted up to pierce the sky with more malice than any mountaintop. Its mistress was in her study, pouring through the leather-bound tomes as she was always doing. Her son, the only other occupant, sat at a magnificent piano in his bedroom. The ivory keys of the instrument glowed in the light of the roaring fireplace and the polished black surface gleamed. His fingers danced across the keys, coaxing the piano into song. The music echoed around the high, vaulted ceiling above him and through every room of the deserted palace.

His eyes were closed as he played, his whole body swaying with the force of the music. When the last note died away, he rubbed his eyes and opened them. Palest blue, they stared out sightlessly at room around him. Avarn stood, keeping one hand on the top of the piano, and listened. He could just barely hear it, the sound of another’s heartbeat, the sound that had constantly filled his mind for the past six years. It was faint now, and very far away, but it was still there. Slowly he smiled, and felt his way to his favorite chair next to the fire. Sitting down, he picked up a slim book and leafed through it until he came to his bookmark. He could feel the slight texture of the ink on the thin pages, but Tannar had left before they’d finished it.

He sighed and gently closed the book, setting it carefully aside. His eyes gazed unfocused into the fireplace as the heartbeat lulled him into a dreamless sleep.

Tannar had been lying sleeplessly on his back when the howl rent the still night air. In an instant he was up and shaking Karenna. “Wake up,” he hissed.

She muttered something and rolled over. Scowling, he formed a handful of ice water and doused her.

She came up spluttering, “What in the name of—”

“Werebeasts,” he snapped. “Wolves, by the sound.”

For a moment she stared at him. “By Werenna.”

Again, he shook her “Get whatever’s in that bag of yours and have it ready to defend yourself. The horses will have woken with that howl; the others won’t be far behind.”

“And what are you going to do?”

“I’m going to try to make sure that at least this wagon and horse survive to get us to the Academé.” He slipped out of the wagon; the horses whinnied when they saw him and pranced nervously away, tugging at the ropes that tethered them. Like him, they knew what approached. Then, in the eerie half-moonlight, he saw them; at least a dozen huge, wolf-shaped animals charging the caravan. Their leader was a big gray he-Wolf, with long, powerful legs and mad red eyes. He stared directly at Tannar and let loose a challenging howl.

There was no point in being subtle. Massive storm-clouds gathered quickly in the dark sky and a great gust of wind shoved at the Werewolves. The enormous he-Wolf snarled and, muscles bunching, leapt at him.

A concentrated beam of powerful blue-green light pierced the Werewolf’s chest, sending him sprawling in the thick mud.

Tannar glanced over his shoulder to see Karenna standing next to the wagon, her long brown hair streaming with water and her dress and cloak lashing back and forth in the driving wind and rain.

She held a wand.

Students and workmen alike rushed to the wagon nearest the center of the circle. Jataal watched them flock to him like chicks to be hidden under a hen’s wings, the Werebeasts drawing ever nearer. He sighed and climbed wearily down from the wagon seat where he had been dozing. “Get into my wagon, you’ll all fit.”

They obeyed without question, even the wagon-masters. Jataal was a battle mage, now a retired warrior and professor at the Academé. He was, moreover, half the reason it had been nearly five years since the last Werebeast attack.

So it was to be Wolves this time, was it? Nasty creatures they could be, he knew, with all the cunning of an animal, all the intelligence of a human, and all the knife-like teeth they could fit into a mouth. But nothing he couldn’t handle. Jataal wiped his rain-soaked hair back from his face and drew his sword, a blade as scarred as he. One of the lead Wolves snarled and leapt at him. Jataal sliced at him and the Wolf darted back, whining and licking a deep cut in its leg. The others approached more slowly.

Jataal swung his blade up into a defensive stance, droplets of water scattering from the tip. “Come on,” he growled, “it’s been awhile since I had a workout against live targets.”

Tannar caught his breath as a black she-Wolf howled over her fallen leader’s body and the rest of the pack converged on the heart of the caravan. Two other Werewolves—probably the leader’s other mates—stayed with her, and none of them grieved for long before converging on Tannar.

He leapt over them, splashing down into a puddle behind them. The three Wolves yelped and turned sharply, their claws digging into the muddy earth. Tannar waited until they’d reoriented themselves, then smiled and took off for the nearby bluff. Over the nearly fifty yards, they never once caught up with him. He came up short against the cliff wall and spun to face them, still grinning wildly.

With their murderous attention focused on him, none had noticed that Karenna had followed. She swept her wand across her body with a yell, the magic plowing a furrow in the ground just behind the Wolves’ back paws. The two smaller she-Wolves snarled and turned to face her. Karenna thrust as if she held a rapier, and a dart of blue-green light pierced one through the heart. The other circled, snapping at Karenna’s feet and moving too fast for the girl to get a clear shot.

Ignoring her pack-mate, the black bitch pounced on Tannar. Her superior weight shoved him into the mud. Snarling, she clawed at him and tried to bring her tooth-filed mouth around to connect with his neck. Tannar struggled, and either fury or desperation made the Wolf stronger than he’d anticipated. Cursing, he formed a dagger of ice in his left hand and stabbed deep.

She moaned and backed off him. Blood streamed from the wound, her scrabbling paws churning the sodden earth red with it. Tannar lay in the mud, still clinging to the impromptu weapon. He saw the instant of recognition flash behind her beast-like eyes.

She howled the retreat and fled.

Jataal smiled, watching the last of the Wolves scamper off. One lay dead at his feet, and at least three others would die within the hour from their wounds. Not too bad for a man on the lee side of fifty years.

He stretched, cracking his back, and cleaned the length of his blade before sheathing it. It would probably need a good sanding later to remove the rust, but that wasn’t his main concern at the moment. “You can come out now,” he said to those cowering within the wagon. Slowly they emerged. Jataal did a quick headcount and frowned. Two missing. He glanced up, and saw a young woman with long brown hair trying to move into the group without attracting attention. His frown deepened. He looked around for the second absent youth. He could see a young man, near the cliff, moving as if dragging something out of sight.

Jataal’s senses were still in their combat-enhanced mode. As such, he could see what the boy was so carefully shoving into one of the cliff’s niches: two Werewolf corpses. The frown became a smile. That would be one worth watching.

Karenna knew she’d been lucky. Part of the cliff had been between them and the wagons, and the darkness and confusion of the attack had helped distract the workmen from the freak storm and flashes of magic. As the thunderhead dissipated, she realized that it was nearly dawn. Tucking her wand away inside her cloak, she slipped in among the other students. One of the men—the one who had seen her eyes last night—was checking each member of the caravan. His eyes locked with Karenna’s for an instant, and he smiled. “You all right, miss?”

“Yes, thank you.”

He nodded, still smiling, and moved on to check on the others.

“Quite the adventure,” said a voice from behind her.

Karenna turned to see a girl her own age with waist-length blonde hair and a fair complexion. She wore tight-fitting black trousers instead of a skirt and held a riding crop in one hand. All her clothes were black, though obviously cut from the most expensive fabrics and in the most fashionable styles. The girl smiled like a snake with a bird’s egg, and extended a gloved hand. “I’m Shana Liam, I’ve been riding in the coach.” Karenna took the hand gingerly, wondering if she was the bird’s egg. Shana’s smile told her she was. “I wanted to say thank you,” she said.

“For what?” asked Karenna.

“Why, for driving the Wolves away, of course.” Shana’s smile didn’t waver.

“I’m sorry,” said Karenna, easing away. “I think you must have—” She was interrupted by the arrival of Tannar, who glared openly at Shana.

“Who are you?” he demanded. Karenna never thought she would be so glad to see him.

The girl crossed her arms. “I’m Shana Liam. My father is Maraso Liam, advisor to the king.”

“How nice for you,” said Tannar, as if she had told him her father was a common shopkeeper and not one of the most powerful men in Dirantyr.

Shana’s eyes narrowed, but the smile remained fixed in place. “And who, may I ask, are you?”

“You may not ask,” said Tannar, as he took Karenna’s arm and steered her away from the young woman. Once they were a safe distance away, he said, “Friend of yours?”

Karenna scowled. “I hope not.”

He smiled.

“So…” Karenna looked at him sideways. “That was some interesting weather back there.”

“So…” said Tannar without even glancing at her. “Those were some interesting flashes of light back there.”

Karenna said nothing, but smiled quietly to herself.
Last edited by gyrfalcon on Sun Jul 20, 2008 11:12 pm, edited 3 times in total.
"In a sort of ghastly simplicity we remove the organ and demand the function...We laugh at honour and are shocked to find traitors in our midst. We castrate and bid the geldings be fruitful." ~C.S. Lewis

Random avatar

Reviews: 56
Mon Jun 16, 2008 5:04 pm
View Likes
thunder_dude7 says...

Hello, gryfalcon! Thanks for being my first customer! I'm thunder_dude7, and I'll be your critiquer today!

Prolouge

This was pretty good. Here are a few things that I didn't care for:

I couldn't really tell what age the two of them were. You refered to them as kids, which made me think around 10, and they seemed somewhat immature, however, some of the things they said didn't line up with that. He said things like he was much more than a year older than her, and that just didn't really work.

The descriptions at the beginning were very tell-y. When describing people, try and slip it in subtley, like this:

Everybody knew when Karenna slipped suble lies into her stories, as when she did so, Avarn' pale, blue eyes twitched.

Just an example.

The children trusted him more than any adult, because he knew everything...

...you can't be serious. It seems to me by his actions throughout the story that he doesn't know everything, rather, he can either read people's minds or just tell when they're lying. Most likely the latter.

This gull flew badly, for he had broken his wing only last week, and Avarn and Karenna had barely been able to set it properly.

Instead of saying this, I would say that the gull flew badly, reminding Avarn of the incident where its wing was broken.

This was a well-known fact; the two people who had raised him were an elderly leather-merchant and his sister, both kind but fading people.

Other than those things, I liked the prolouge. However, the key to writing a prolouge and first chapter is that the reader must constantly engaged in what's happening, and have an overwhelming desire to see what happens next. Until the conversation on the dock wandered to his mother and the magician lessons, I wasn't really engaged.

Other than that, I really liked this.

Chapter 1

My first complaint is that this is ridiculously long, which may explain why you had to come to a shop to get a critique.

Right away, we become aware of a new character, which is a surprisingly sudden leap. Maybe introduce the setting before we are introduced to Tanner and this young woman.

At first, the setting is very unclear. You might want ot introduce it sooner.

The water dripping through the canvas overhead woke her and she started *no comma* drawing her bag closer to her body and glaring at him.

About the above line. We really don't know why she seems hostile. You might want to introduce the history that causes this. How do they know each other? Why are they in this wagon?

“What’s your name?” she asked.

So she doesn't know him. This sort of explains her hostility. But why does he wish that she was't born if he doesn't know her name or vice versa?

Perhaps knowing the name of the person you would be traveling hundreds of miles with was some human custom he wasn’t aware of.

Either this guy isn't human, he's dumb, or being sarcasitc. I'm seriously leaning towards the first.

He blinked. “How do you know Elemental?”

I take it this is some sort of strange language?

You then switch to Karenna's point of view. I liked that part. You really worked to explore her character, and in the previous section, you explained his, I will add. Kudos to you on that. Nice job in this section, no real flaws that I notice, except perhaps making the wine barel falling on her more panic-y. Shorter sentences alone can improve that. Little revising needed here.

In the next section, it quickly gets very tell-y. you need to slip this information in to the rest of it. Maybe Tanner wonders why the government doesn't provide transportation to the acadamy, which also gives an opportunity to furter explore his character.

Tannar had learned the price of compassion; the bands around his wrists spoke volumes about the folly of pity.

There are two opinions people can have on this line: 1) It pries the reader forward to discover how those bands got there, or 2) They are annoyed at not being given the information.

Just think about it, you don't nessesarily need to change it.

I actually enjoyed the next section, you've done a good job in adding an air of mystry to the situation, as well as explore the characters personalities.

The next section started out telly, but once you got to Avarn playing the piano, you fixed it. Other than that, you did a nice job here.

For a moment she stared at him. “By Werenna,” she breathed.

Uhh...what?

After that, this section was great. For some bizzare reason, I felt extremely happy and excited when Tanner saw Karenna with the wand. Nice work.

The next section started out with the introduction of Jataal. You might want to just introduce him as a wagon driver, and then have Kareena and/or Tanner recognize him.

The next section ws good until this part...

But the black bitch pounced on him, shoving him into the mud with her superior weight.

WOAH! Where did that cuss word come from? That really caught me off guard, and if you plan to cuss...save the cussing for dialouge, OK?

After that, you did well.

The last section was very interesting. I enjoyed the wrapping up of the battle scene and the sense that more danger could be on the way.

“So…” Karenna looked at him sideways. “That was some interesting weather back there.”

“So…” said Tannar without even glancing at her. “Those were some interesting flashes of light back there.”

lol. It's always good to wrap up something serious and dangerous with joking around. Very nice. *chuckle*

Overall, this was very good. The main issue is that your descriptions get very tell-y, so be careful of that. Nice work.

582 Reviews

Reviews: 582
Mon Jun 16, 2008 5:29 pm
View Likes
KJ says...

Hello.

Since I did not find anything to critique that Thunder didn't cover, I'll just give you my overall impression:

I loved it. I think this is one of the best pieces I've read on this site (NOTE everyone else, ONE OF :)). It's extremely well-written, and I enjoyed it very much. Points for creativity.

I know. I'm not much help, right? Sorry. But at least I'm giving your ego a boost ;)

~KJ

41 Reviews

Reviews: 41
Tue Jun 17, 2008 12:13 am
tanith14 says...

Well, Thunder really stole some of my thunder. He pointed out all the things I really wanted to say. My only other comment would some of the wording you choose is a little confusing and you did a lot of telling, not a lot of showing. An example would be in the very beginning with the children. Have some character interaction. You can have Avarn make eye contact briefly with one of the children and have that child look down quickly. Actions are always better than words (its a problem I have as well.)

Honestly though, job well done. I look forward to reading some more in the future.
If there is one thing in the world I CAN'T stand it is the Redwings.

440 Reviews

Tue Jun 17, 2008 3:44 am
gyrfalcon says...

Hey there, thanks everyone for the quick response! Thunder-Dude, your crit looks to be very helpful, just a couple things I feel I should clear up (and my bad for not making these clearer):

Karenna is not telling the story. I realize that may not have been what you meant in your example, but my heart nearly stopped.

You're right, Avarn doesn't actually know everything, but at that point, I was showing (or trying to show) how the children perceived him: he was their king, ergo he must know everything (or vice-versa).

Again, thanks a million!
"In a sort of ghastly simplicity we remove the organ and demand the function...We laugh at honour and are shocked to find traitors in our midst. We castrate and bid the geldings be fruitful." ~C.S. Lewis

Random avatar

Reviews: 56
Wed Jun 18, 2008 5:45 pm
thunder_dude7 says...

*rereads*

OK, I see how the storyteller could be a different person. You mgiht want to mention Karenna laughing at the storytellers story or something like that in order to reinforce that they're different people.

As for the Avarn knowing everything bit, maybe switch it to:

The children trusted him more than any adult, because, as far as they were concerned, he knew everything. Though this wasn't true, he could talk to the gulls by the river-port.

The problem seems to be that you connected the children's thoughts - that he knew everything - to a fact - the ability to talk to gulls. That explains the confusion.

Well, thanks for being my first major critique. I've never had so much to say! I must be getting pickier :shock:

571 Reviews

Reviews: 571
Wed Jun 18, 2008 8:09 pm
Esmé says...

gyrfalcon - I think I did read this before, and that I found it as awesome as I do now ^_^ You should definitely try to get this published, or finish, if you haven’t already, and then publish. (:

Quote:
He, on the other hand, did watch her, hawkishly, and made little sounds of annoyance whenever she lied.

I didn’t particularly care for the interference - hawkishly. That word just seemed to litter the sentence with an unnecessary comma, at least to me, and made it sound awkward when it wasn’t.

Quote:
The gull would have snapped at anyone else, but he knew Karenna, and knew that if he hurt her the boy with the water-like eyes would not feed him again

The overeager critter that I am ^_^

Quote:
She was probably the only one in the village who wouldn't; even his adopted caretakers were slightly wary of him.

Nothing wrong with the sentence, but Karenna would be the only person who would miss him? At the beginning it was stated that he was “king”, and so I automatically assumed that those other children had grown sort of attached to him - if not, and it seems that is the case, then perhaps clear that?

Quote:
“Well then,” he said, “I’ll send a gull to come and get you and bring you to me, so you can free me from her and we can stop whatever evils she’s doing together.”

Awkward, slightly? If we cut out the tag, we’re left with: “Well then I’ll (…)”

Quote:
“That’s it,” he said, waving his arms expansively, “just Tannar.”

Hmm, I’d not drag that, just split it.

Quote:
He wasn’t looking at her anymore, and the traitorous part inside her wished that he would.

To me the “traitorous part” part stood out only because it was mentioned in the previous paragraph. Link to it, perhaps, so as not to make it look like a careless repetition, or consider placing something different up there?

Quote:
There were five other youths heading for the Dirantyr Training Academe, all of them sixteen, and most of them, from the way they huddled together,

Cut the second “them”? The sentence can stand without it, I think.

Quote:
Even so, the government did not provide transport for those who had to travel from the middle-lands or even the coast to where the Academe was situated on the westernmost boundary of the kingdom.

Complicated. I had to reread it to fully grasp what was said, but that might just be me ^_^ (Also - cut the “so” at the beginning of the next sentence, if only because of the opening “even so” of this one?)

Quote:
Of course, they would not do it for free.

Elaborate here? We have why, yes, but still.

Quote:
Tannar had been lying on his back, staring sleeplessly at the canvas above his head, when the howl rent the still night air.

I don’t know, I just don’t like that interference - it just drags the sentence, makes it loose impact.

Quote:
Tannar glanced over his shoulder to see Karenna, standing next to the wagon, her long brown hair streaming with water and her dress and cloak lashing back and forth in the driving wind and rain.

First comma unneeded, I think.

Quote:
Tannar waited until they’d reoriented themselves, then smiled and, with a little wave, took off for the nearby bluff.

Are all those commas really needed? If they are - they just… Hmm. Slow the reader down, and give the impression of the sentence being awkward.

Quote:
It must have puzzled them why, over the nearly fifty yards, they never once caught up with him.

I found this sentence a bit awkward.

Fantastic. That is all, I think, that I really have to say. I mean, yes, I could write you paragraphs and paragraphs worth of a proper critique, but all those words would essentially veer toward that one: Fantastic. You make me green with envy.

Length - I really don’t mind reading long pieces, so long as they are well-written. This one was. The ending of the chapter came as a jolt to me, and I’m sorry that it ended so soon. I distinctively remember reading this long ago, before I left, but that does not mean the experience was less enjoyable.

Er, yes. That was an attempt at a constructive critique, not only paeans. But ah, well. There is one thing that bothered me - and yes, I think I’ll be forgiven if I exaggerate it ^_^. The other girl, the daughter of Maraso Liam. If Tannar’s appearance - and his silk cloak’s - was odd, then hers would be too, no? Her traveling in a “rickety wagon”?

I think there’s a purpose to that, and to Jataal’s presence. Yes? No? Or perhaps it’s my paranoia. (I just thought that she might be the occupant of that other wagon - but that was kind of a random though).

Anyway. Fantastic, the whole piece. I’ll stop now, ‘kay? Before I return to the entirely pointless “you’re so awesome” theme. ^_^ I’d write you nice character impressions, and anything else, but, well…

Cheers,
Esme

440 Reviews

Thu Jun 19, 2008 5:27 am
gyrfalcon says...

:Edited: (to include wonderful critiques by all parties)

You guys rock! Note: chapter two up! topic31824.html

695 Reviews

Reviews: 695
Thu Jun 19, 2008 10:03 pm
Angel of Death says...

Hey gyrfalcon!!

I don't think I ever read any of your pieces and so I don't think you know me.
*extends hand forward*
I'm Angel of Death but you can call me Angel.
Well anyways, I only read the prologue sorry :cry: but this is really long and I'm just going to take this piece by piece so yeah...
I liked this. Its very original and the aura that surrounds the words is magical in a way. The two characters Karenna and Avarn seem like they have a very close relationship. Emotion is one of the things I look for when I'm reading a story and you have it. I really felt that the bond between these two people were too strong. Also, the names that you use are soo unique and beautiful. I promise to be back.
All in all, Good Job,
Angel :D :D :D
True love, in all it’s celestial charm, and
star-crossed ways, only exist in a writer’s
mind, for humans have not yet learned
how to manifest it.

1258 Reviews

Reviews: 1258
Sun Jun 22, 2008 3:44 pm
Sam says...

Gyr! Sorry it took me so long to get to this, but! Here I am now.

I don't read fantasy, so I usually don't know what to expect beyond the bits that I don't like. This piece shattered a lot of my expectations--fantasy can be well-written. The characters, though they had the strange names I so often despair over, were well-rounded and interesting to read about. What more could a reluctant reviewer want?

A few things to talk about, however...

STREAMLINING

I usually don't like to comment on sentence structure because I encourage writers to develop their own style, but I figure you're a good enough writer to take a style-based suggestion. ^_~ My problem with the way you put things together--especially at the beginning--was that all of your sentences were approximately all the same length, and composed of these short, choppy little clauses. Example?

The little gang of kids was not, as any casual observer would think, watching the storyteller. Instead their eyes were focused on the thin, frail boy who sat nearest her. He, on the other hand, did watch her and his pale blue eyes twitched in annoyance whenever she lied. The children trusted him more than any adult, because he could talk to the gulls by the river-port and, as far as they were concerned, knew everything. His name was Avarn. He was, in all the ways that mattered, their king.

See the bold? That's an example of where you've split a sentence in two with a clause that you don't particularly need. My general rule of thumb is thus: if something isn't essential to the meaning, get rid of it. Though people can put up pretty good arguments against this for plot devices and scenes and all of that, in sentences--your basic unit of structure--you want to be as streamlined as possible. It's why swimmers wear caps and shave their legs. It's a little gesture, but it helps them take off a few extra seconds of their time.

The children were not watching the storyteller. Instead, their eyes were focused on the frail boy who sat nearest her. He was the only one watching. His pale, blue eyes twitched in annoyance whenever she lied--a judgment the children took to heart. They trusted him more than any adult, because he could talk to the gulls by the river-port and, they thought, knew everything. His name was Avarn. He was their king.

Now, that still reads a little too choppy for most, so don't be afraid to play with it. Having longer sentences is okay, but you want to make sure that you don't split them up halfway through.

I SEE DEAD PEOPLE (AND OTHER POWERS)

The problem with writing stories set in other worlds is that you're not certain what's normal and what's not. Seeing dead people, talking to gulls, performing magic, etc. are things that we're not sure about--are these people freaks, or does everyone do these things?

Also, when you have a person who can do things that most modern humans can't, you also want to find a way to make them fallible. What's their downfall? They have a superpower, so they also have to have a super-flaw to balance things out. Think of it that way--as a balancing act. Sure, Avarn can talk to birds, but does he have a debilitating fear of cats because of this? Balance the good with the bad, and you've got a much more realistic reading experience--even in a fantastic world.

__

Thanks for the read, Gyr! I'm off to chapter two. PM me if you have any questions and want to chat about something. ^_^
Graffiti is the most passionate form of literature there is.

- Demetri Martin

798 Reviews

Reviews: 798
Mon Jun 23, 2008 11:14 am
Jiggity says...

Ahaha, a fear of cats XD. That was good.

I remember reading this quite some time ago, Gyr. It doesn't seem too different really, but then my memory isn't so good.

The little gang of kids was not, as any casual observer would think, watching the storyteller

were

"I’m Karenna Morn,” she said, snapping him out of his study of her.

Just seems like an odd thing to say upon waking up, to find a strange boy staring at you. Quite aside from the fact that she was just interupted outed of her sleep, some guy is staring at her! Something like 'What the hell are you staring at?' nix 'hell' would seem more appropriate, no?

I think their relationship, or rather, interaction is quite good so kudos on that. I wonder if the werewolf attack is a bit too much, too soon, though. I understand that you want a bit of a shakeup, a catalyst if you will, but I think it occurs too soon. How often do such attacks occure? Are Werebeats common in Disantyr? If so, why? And what actions have the government/people taken to measure them?

Such information is lacking in the text and whats more there was no suspense, or very little at the least. I think you should foreshadow the attack with the kids hearing some howls in the distance, far earlier. They should wander about it - cue aforementioned info - and let the fear build as the howls get closer, etc. I think you should dump the element of surprise, in lieu of all that. Twould be better.

Anyway, its very good, bar a few simple errors. I liked it before and I still like it now XD.
Mah name is jiggleh. And I like to jiggle.

"Indecision and terror, thy name is novel." - Chiko

10 Reviews

Reviews: 10
Mon Jun 23, 2008 6:50 pm
GAM says...

I have not really covered your wonderful story to my satisfaction to criticise it but this is all the same a wonderful story.
Nice introduction(prologue) that makes one really love the story.
Like almost everyone who has read the story.
I give it a thumbs up :lol:
I will really like to know when your second chapter is out.
Expect my criticism concerning this part very soon :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

440 Reviews

Tue Jun 24, 2008 4:34 am
gyrfalcon says...

:Edited again: (to include even more wonderful critiques by all parties!)

157 Reviews

Reviews: 157
Wed Jun 25, 2008 2:02 am
onceuponatim3xo says...

This was extremely good!! I loved it :D You have such great descriptions and character development.

I feel bad that I can't really contribute much editing since I found absolutely nothing, so I'm going to point out a tiny little thing just to feel better about not being able to crit anything :D

Even thought the plague fifty years ago had depleted Dirantyr’s population and army

"thought" should be "though"

:lol: :lol: :lol:
All right, hopefully my amazing crit helps!
~Once
It is better to travel well than to arrive.
-Buddha

66 Reviews

Reviews: 66
Wed Jun 25, 2008 7:52 am
sylverdawn says...

I really liked how make it flow from one point to the next, the battle helped get things going at a nice pace. I'm a bit confused about the magic though. Maybe you should explain the different affinities and types, and classes too. All I got is that its a really big deal if you're a magician. But it's not much of an issue since I'm sure you'll explain as the story progresses.

In any case I think you should drop a few more hints about Avarn and what's happened to him. Personally I'd like to know who he's connected to.

All in all I'd say it's a good start to an interesting book and I'd like to read more.
DANCE- Like no-one is watching
LOVE- Like you've never been hurt
SING- Like no-one is listening
LIVE- Like it's heaven on earth.

Please read and review my novel. The title is Fireborn. Here's the link.

novel.php?id=1157

so many languages have fallen / off of the edge of the world / into the dragon's mouth.
— Lucille Clifton