z

Young Writers Society

Speechless

168 Reviews

Reviews: 168
Sun Jun 08, 2008 2:34 am
scasha says...

Hey Everyone, this is my entry to Vernon's Bed contest. In the story we must personify a bed so here's my story. Critisism is much appreciated!

Speechless

I still remember the day she came. The overseer led her into the room where all of the kids slept in bunk bed cots. I was near the window, staring out at the rainy day, watching time drip by. None of the other orphans had caught my interest like she did. Curly brown hair, slightly ratty, squiggled down to her thin, petite shoulders. She couldn’t have been any more than eight years old. But it was her blue eyes that haunted me, weary with her travels, tired of everything she had endured. She looked older than she was.

She stared around with those eyes. I straightened myself up, trying to get her attention. A boy walked into the room. “New here huh?” he said, looking at her with wide eyes.

She nodded, her lips set in a thin line. She hugged her arms around her shoulders, trying to keep herself warm through her threadbare dress.

“You can put yourself over by that empty one over there,” the boy said, pointing at me. I smiled in her direction, but she barely noticed.

“Where you from?” he asked. The girl returned his question with a blank stare and he narrowed his eyes. “You dumb or something? I asked you a question,” he said, taking a threatening step towards her.

Fear replaced the blank look now and her eyes widened, shaking her head. She backed away from him, tripping over her own suitcase.

The boy laughed at her. “Well anyway, welcome to hell. You’re lucky if you ever get out of here,” he said with a mean glance. With that he walked out of the room.

I watched her carefully as she slowly stood up, brushing herself off. Without a word she came over to me and placed her suitcase beneath my wooden frame. I, unlike my fellow beds, had no bunk mate. I had always been starved for company. She sat down on the bed, taking out a rather beaten up bear from her suitcase. She hugged it tight against her chest and the springs of my mattress squeaked with sympathy. As she curled up among my starched sheets, I wished for a moment that I was human. I would love to be her friend, to help her, but alas, a bed can only do so much. I tried to make my sheets warm as she slowly drifted off to a turbulent night sleep.

The days passed, and from her nightmares I was able to piece together what little there was left of her broken life. Her mother had left her when she was less than three years old, leaving her in the care of her alcoholic father. One day after school, he never came to pick her up. I watched her in her dreams, the worst one being the memory of that day. She kept glancing at her surroundings, looking for him, but every few minutes she returned to examine her hands, disappointed. Tears leaked down her face in a never ending stream as night approached. When darkness had completely set in, a police officer who was scouting out the area pulled up to the bench.

“You okay, kid?” he asked. When she didn’t respond, the officer got out of his car. Kneeling down so he was eye level with the trembling girl, he asked, “Where are your parents?” Again, she refused to answer him, the blood draining from her face in fear. He slowly stood up, looking around.

“You want to go for a ride?” he asked. She nodded and he helped her into the car. He drove her back to the station. In the white building, the Police Force of Hanover, the other officers asked her questions but she didn’t say a word. She was too young to remember where she lived. The police put posters of her all over town, but they never found her father. That’s how she ended up here, silent as she always was, her teddy bear clutched against her chest.

One day when she was outside playing with the other children, the overseer entered the room. She was speaking with a woman dressed in a white lab coat. “This is where she sleeps,” the overseer pointed at me.

The woman nodded, “Does she have trouble sleeping?”

The overseer shrugged. “No, she sleeps like a baby. Why?”

I wanted to cry out, “No, you liar, she never sleeps. Her nightmares keep her awake. How can you be so blind?”

The woman wrote something down in her notebook. “It’s just that when people are mute, it’s has something to do with fear. Since she’s an orphan, maybe something or someone from her previous home kept her quiet for good.”

I was shocked. Mute. At least we had something in common. Our natures required both of us to be silent; hers because of her fear and mine because, well, as much as I hated to admit it, I was an inanimate object. The psychologist worked with her day in and day out for years but the girl never said a word. I tried my best to comfort her, trying to erase her dreams of darkness and fill her mind with dreams of light. Slowly, the color returned to her face, but she never truly healed.

The years passed. The only indication of the girl, who slept nestled in my covers, changing was that the tips of her toes began to protrude from the bottom of my bed frame. She was tall and thin, beautiful in a haunted sort of way. But since she was silent, no one ever came to adopt her. None of the other children associated with her because of her silent nature, and I looked on, powerless, as she was shunned.

Her loneliness led to more damaging effects. Soon, she came to bed smelling like tobacco. At night, she would take sharp tools and spill blood from her wrists onto my sheets. I was stained with her hurt, watching, without being able to help the little girl who was left on that park bench years ago struggle inside her teenage body. The salt of her tears stained my own pillowcase, and soon I wasn’t able to tell if they were hers, or my own.

Then one day she was gone, disappearing entirely from the home. From the conversation that the overseer had with those around her, the girl had grown too old and was required to leave. I felt empty for the years following her departure. We had found something in common, the fact that we couldn’t speak, me and that girl. But it had not been enough for her to want to stay or for me to try and help her. Our common ground was our downfall. I know what it’s like to be alone and forgotten. If only I could speak, I would be able to tell the world of my hurt and share in those whose pain is similar to mine. But, now I resign myself to my fate to be alone, speechless, and empty, forever.
Last edited by scasha on Wed Jun 11, 2008 4:02 am, edited 4 times in total.

83 Reviews

Reviews: 83
Mon Jun 09, 2008 8:15 pm
Raimunda says...

As requested here is my brilliant and unparalled review.

I really, really like this. It's a really unusual thing to write, and I think that the unusuallness of it make it really interesting; I actually like this loads more than most of the stuff I've read on here. You get cliched stories that have been done time over time, but it's more important to do something ionnovative. and that's what you, my friend, have done.

Anyhoo, lets get down to grammar and whatnot.

I think maybe you need to inform the reader somehow that the narrative is from a bed, even though you've written the competition thingy at the top. Readers with lower IQ's, such as myself, might get a bit confused... I still remember the day she came. The overseer led her into the room where all of the kids slept in bunk bed cots. I was near the window, staring out at the rainy day, watching time drip by. I LOVE THIS METAPHOR None of the other orphans had caught my interest like she did. Curly brown hair, slightly ratty, squiggled down to her thin, petite shoulders. She couldn’t have been any more than eight years old. But it was her blue eyes that haunted me, weary with her travels, tired of everything she had endured. We don't really know what she has endured yet, so I'm not really sure this bit fits here She looked older than she was.

She stared around with those eyes. I straightened myself up, trying to get her attention. A boy walked into the room. “New here huh?” he said, looking at her with wide eyes.

She nodded, her lips set in a thin line. She hugged her arms around her shoulders, trying to keep herself warm through her threadbare dress.

“You can put yourself over by that empty one over there,” the boy said, pointing at me. I smiled in her direction, but she barely noticed.

“Where you from?” he asked. The girl returned his question with a blank stare and he narrowed his eyes. “You dumb or something? I asked you a question,” he said, taking a threatening step towards her. If you're gonna make the boy badass, make him mean from the start, because in his first bit of speech he seems a bit neutral.

Fear replaced the blank look now and her eyes widened, shaking her head. She backed away from him, tripping over her own suitcase.

The boy laughed at her. “Well anyway, Welcome to hell. You’re lucky if you ever get out of here,” he said with a mean glance. With that he walked out of the room. Why did he leave the room? Doesn't he sleep here? Or am I just being pnickity?? Sorry...

I watched her carefully as she slowly stood up, brushing herself off. Without a word she came over to me and placed her suitcase beneath my wooden frame. I, unlike my fellow beds, had no bunk mate. I had always been starved for company. She sat down on the bed, taking out a rather beaten up bear from her suitcase. She hugged it tight against her chest and the springs of my mattress squeaked with sympathy. As she curled up among my starched sheets, I wished for a moment that I was human. I would love to be her friend, to help her, but alas, a bed can only do so much. I tried to make my sheets warm as she slowly drifted off to a turbulent night sleep. How sweet! I love that bit.

The days passed, and from her nightmares I was able to piece together what little there was of her broken life. Her mother had left her when she was less than three years old, leaving her with an alcoholic father. One day after school, he never came to pick her up. A bit info dumpy, maybe. Try and spread it out. I watched her in her dreams, the worst one being the memory of that day. She kept glancing at her surroundings, looking for him, but every few minutes she returned to examine her hands, disappointed. Tears streamed down her face in a never ending [s]pattern[/s] stream as night approached. When darkness had completely set in, a police officer who was scouting out the area pulled up to the bench.

“You okay, kid?” he asked. When she didn’t respond, the officer got out of his car. Kneeling down so he was eye level with the trembling girl, he asked, “Where are your parents?” Again, she refused to answer him, the blood draining from her face in fear. He slowly stood up, looking around.

“You want to go for a ride?” he asked. She nodded and he helped her into the car. He drove her back to the station. In the white building; [s]marked[/s] the Police Force of Hanover, the other officers asked her questions but she didn’t say a word. She couldn’t even remember where she lived. I don't really get why she doesn't know where she lived. This is maybe a bit unbelievable. The police put posters of her all over town, but they never found her father. That’s how she ended up here, silent as she always was, her teddy bear clutched against her chest.

One day when she was outside playing with the other children, the overseer entered the room. She was speaking with a woman dressed in a white lab coat. “This is where she sleeps,” the overseer pointed at me.

I wanted to cry out, “No, you liar, she never sleeps. Her nightmares keep her awake. How can you be so blind?” This is one frustrated bed! I feel for it.

The woman wrote something down in her notebook. “It’s just that when people are mute, it’s has something to do with fear. ??? I didn't know that! Are you sure? Since she’s an orphan, maybe something or someone from her previous home kept her quiet for good.”

I was shocked. Mute. [s]No wonder she couldn’t speak.[/s] At least we had something in common. Our natures required both of us to be silent; hers because of her fear and mine because, well, as much as I hated to admit it, I was an inanimate object. The psychologist worked with her day in day out for years but the girl [s]and her bright blue eyes[/s] never said a word. I tried my best to comfort her, trying to erase her dreams of darkness and fill her mind with dreams of light. Slowly, the color returned to her face but she never truly healed.

The years passed. The only indication of the girl, who slept nestled in my covers, changing was that the tips of her toes began to protrude from the bottom of my bed frame. She was tall and thin, beautiful in a haunted sort of way. But since she was silent, no one ever came to adopt her. None of the other children associated with her because of her unspeaking nature, and I looked on, powerless, as she was shunned.

Her loneliness led to more damaging effects. Soon, she came to bed smelling like tobacco. At night, she would take sharp tools and spill blood from her wrists onto my sheets. I was stained with her hurt, watching, without being able to help the little girl who was left on that park bench years ago struggle inside her teenage body. The salt of her tears stained my own pillowcase, and soon I wasn’t able to tell if they were hers, or my own. This bit really makes me feel for her. It actually depressed me a bit. Its impressive that you linked me to the character in such a short space of time.

Then one day she was gone, disappearing entirely from the home. From the conversation that the overseer had with those around her, the girl had grown too old and was required to leave. I felt empty for the years following her departure. We had found something in common, the fact that we couldn’t speak, me and that girl. But it had not been enough for her to want to stay or for me to try and help her. Our common ground was our downfall. I know what it’s like to be alone and forgotten. If only I could speak, I would be able to tell the world of my hurt and share in those whose pain is similar to mine. But, now I resign myself to my fate to be alone, speechless, [s]hurt,[/s] and empty, forever.

Yeah, so well done. You're so much better at this whole writing lark than me! PM me if you want me to review you again, and I'll happily read anything else!

xxxxx
I just hit my computer
Because it was being slow
I need my daily Smallville fix
And it will not load the video.

112 Reviews

Reviews: 112
Tue Jun 10, 2008 11:05 am
kris says...

Firstly i must say. This is so emotive and touching. I was on the verge of tears toward the end, very very sad indeed.
It was not clear that the narrative came from the bed until later on, i thought at the beginning that it was a potential parent, but it was not clear.

From what i can see, your punctuation is infallible.

scasha wrote: She couldn’t have been any more than eight years old. But it was her blue eyes that haunted me, weary with her travels, tired of everything she had endured. She looked older than she was.

That was particularly poignant, i don't know why but it really struck a chord. I could really see her, almost feel what she felt. fantastic.

Another problem i found while reading it, was again to do with confusion. In the second half of the piece. When the narrator was describing her while she slept, it bobbed in and out of the real world and her mind. how could the narrator have known? i think it would be nice if there were some reason for this - like she spoke in her sleep etc.

My final problem is....I WANT MORE! i really connected with that poor little girl, who grew into a troubled teen. It had a feel of "A child called it", which followed an abused child through life. I think you would do well to make a novel out of this initial idea...in fact...i am ordering you. DOOOO IT!

Pretty funking amazing, in my mind! well done. Have a star...AND FINISH CHAPTER 5 TOO :p hehehe

41 Reviews

Reviews: 41
Wed Jun 11, 2008 2:11 am
tanith14 says...

scasha wrote:Hey Everyone, this is my entry to Vernon's Bed contest. In the story we must personify a bed so here's my story. Critisism is much appreciated!

Speechless

I still remember the day she came. The overseer led her into the room where all of the kids slept in bunk bed cots. I was near the window, staring out at the rainy day, watching time drip by. None of the other orphans had caught my interest like she did. Curly brown hair, slightly ratty, squiggled down to her thin, petite shoulders. She couldn’t have been any more than eight years old. But it was her blue eyes that haunted me, weary with her travels, tired of everything she had endured. She looked older than she was.

(This is the best paragraph I have seen you produce.)

“Where you from?” he asked. The girl returned his question with a blank stare and he narrowed his eyes. “You dumb or something? I asked you a question,” he said, taking a threatening step towards her.

The boy laughed at her. “Well anyway, Welcome to hell. You’re lucky if you ever get out of here,” he said with a mean glance. With that he walked out of the room.

I watched her carefully as she slowly stood up, brushing herself off. Without a word she came over to me and placed her suitcase beneath my wooden frame. I, unlike my fellow beds, had no bunk mate. I had always been starved for company. She sat down on the bed (Delete the on the bed, taking out a rather beaten up bear from her suitcase. She hugged it tight against her chest and the springs of my mattress squeaked with sympathy. As she curled up among my starched sheets, I wished for a moment that I was human. I would love to be her friend, to help her, but alas, a bed can only do so much. I tried to make my sheets warm as she slowly drifted off to a turbulent night sleep. (perfect so far).

The days passed, and from her nightmares I was able to piece together what little there was of (left? or maybe delete " what little there was of) her broken life. Her mother had left her when she was less than three years old, leaving her in the care of her alcoholic father. One day after school, he never came to pick her up. I watched her in her dreams, the worst one being the memory of that day. She kept glancing at her surroundings, looking for him, but every few minutes she returned to examine her hands, disappointed. Tears leaked down her face in a never ending stream as night approached. When darkness had completely set in, a police officer who was scouting out the area pulled up to the bench.

“You want to go for a ride?” he asked. She nodded and he helped her into the car. He drove her back to the station. In the white building, the Police Force of Hanover, the other officers asked her questions but she didn’t say a word. She was too young to remember where she lived. The police put posters of her all over town, but they never found her father. That’s how she ended up here, silent as she always was, her teddy bear clutched against her chest.

I wanted to cry out, “No, you liar, she never sleeps. Her nightmares keep her awake. How can you be so blind?”

The woman wrote something down in her notebook. “It’s just that when people are mute, it’s has something to do with fear. Since she’s an orphan, maybe something or someone from her previous home kept her quiet for good.”

I was shocked. Mute. At least we had something in common. Our natures required both of us to be silent; hers because of her fear and mine because, well, as much as I hated to admit it, I was an inanimate object. The psychologist worked with her day in and day out for years but the girl never said a word. I tried my best to comfort her, trying to erase her dreams of darkness and fill her mind with dreams of light. Slowly, the color returned to her face, but she never truly healed.

The years passed. The only indication of the girl, who slept nestled in my covers, changing was that the tips of her toes began to protrude from the bottom of my bed frame. She was tall and thin, beautiful in a haunted sort of way. But since she was silent, no one ever came to adopt her. None of the other children associated with her because of her silent nature, and I looked on, powerless, as she was shunned.

Her loneliness led to more damaging effects. Soon, she came to bed smelling like tobacco. At night, she would take sharp tools and spill blood from her wrists onto my sheets. I was stained with her hurt, watching, without being able to help the little girl who was left on that park bench years ago struggle inside her teenage body. The salt of her tears stained my own pillowcase, and soon I wasn’t able to tell if they were hers, or my own.

Then one day she was gone, disappearing entirely from the home. From the conversation that the overseer had with those around her, the girl had grown too old and was required to leave. I felt empty for the years following her departure. We had found something in common, the fact that we couldn’t speak, me and that girl. But it had not been enough for her to want to stay or for me to try and help her. Our common ground was our downfall. I know what it’s like to be alone and forgotten. If only I could speak, I would be able to tell the world of my hurt and share in those whose pain is similar to mine. But, now I resign myself to my fate to be alone, speechless, and empty, forever.

WOW. Just wow. NOW THAT was a pleasure to read. My only comments above are just little comments that you don't have to fix.

It is obvious you put a huge amount of effort into this. Undoubtedly the best work I have read from you. I deserve a pat on the back. If you don't win whatever contest this is, I would be very surprised.

GREAT JOB!
Last edited by tanith14 on Wed Jun 11, 2008 7:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
If there is one thing in the world I CAN'T stand it is the Redwings.

Random avatar

Reviews: 21
Wed Jun 11, 2008 3:26 pm
Antares says...

Ah, I like this. I never thought I would find a story that made me feel sympathy for a bed! :shock:

Firstly, I have to agree with Raimunda about the boy at the start. At first he seems like a potential friend and then he changes just like that. I think he could be conveyed as a little more nastier when we first meet him. Since he's not exactly a main character he really doesn't need 'layers'! Secondly, the police man asking 'you want to go for a ride?' does not feel right to me. Wouldn't he be more likely to get out of the car and try to comfort her? And then he would probably explain that he was taking her to the police station so they could find her parents?

Curly brown hair, slightly ratty, squiggled down to her thin, petite shoulders. She couldn’t have been any more than eight years old. But it was her blue eyes that haunted me, weary with her travels, tired of everything she had endured. She looked older than she was.

This is a bit muddled for me. Firstly, the bed states that she couldn't be more than eight years old, yes? But then it says she 'looked older than she was'? How does that work? How does it even know her age? You could edit it to say that her appearance makes her look eight but her eyes hold the troubles of someone much older. Something like that maybe?

One day when she was outside playing with the other children...

I thought since she was mute she was shunned by the other children? I think an elaboration is needed here. For example, is she playing in the same area as the other children but by herself? That would make more sense.

The woman wrote something down in her notebook. “It’s just that when people are mute, it[s]’s[/s] has something to do with fear. Since she’s an orphan, maybe something or someone from her previous home kept her quiet for good.”

Is this true? I always thought it was something to do with traumatic experiences in the past or something like that. Perhaps you could do some research just to make sure you have the correct information. It'll save you the trouble of having to deal with nit pickers. ;)

Well, those are the only 'problems' I've noticed. Speechless has been extremely well-written and moving. I really do think it can be continued; I really connected with the little girl and I am desperate to find out what happens to her. However, kudos to you for not having the 'happily ever after' ending which I have come to expect from short stories. They get old fast.

I hope I have helped in some way and good luck with future works. :D

The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.
— Mark Twain