z

Young Writers Society

Where You Will End Up, #1-3 /P

915 Reviews

Reviews: 915
Sat Jun 07, 2008 10:03 am
Incandescence says...

Removed.
Last edited by Incandescence on Sun Jun 15, 2008 9:09 am, edited 4 times in total.
"If I have not seen as far as others, it is because giants were standing on my shoulders." -Hal Abelson

157 Reviews

Reviews: 157
Sat Jun 07, 2008 3:49 pm
alwaysawriter says...

I understood none of that but it was good anyway.

My poetry received responses, usually rejections, with notes dashed across the page, or atop a line: "searing but unfocused," "radiant if schizophrenic," "apocalyptic without an apocalypse."
I understood what THAT meant, for the most part, thanks to context clues.

Keep writing; I'm going to go look those big words up, expanding my vocabulary, in which case, I have to thank you because I NEVER look things up. :)
Meshugenah says to (18:12:36):
Kat's my new favorite. other than Sachi.

WWJD: What Would Jabber Do?

199 Reviews

Reviews: 199
Sat Jun 07, 2008 5:31 pm
smorgishborg says...

Jack Kerouac, ladies and gentlemen.

There were parts of this that were fantastic, and parts that were complete garbage. I loved and hated this thing, which means that nobody will ever read something they 50% hate. I don't think there's anything I can teach you about writing skill, nor will I even bother to disagree with you philosophy or explain why I would despise your character in real life.

I just want to talk about the style. (Paragraph by paragraph)

It all starts out well, I enjoyed the irony of the rejection comments, and their dismissal and summary. But you just keep talking, it all evolves into a confusing metaphor. For example:
It was like trying to reign back the temporary lapses in synaptic transmission in favor of some other kind of lapsing. Probably the kind of lapsing that produces a soundproof narrative instead of a handful of phrases that echo against the words of others before effervescing into thin air.

Makes no sense.

The second paragraph takes what seemed to be an offhanded comment (thin air)- an accessory to the original metaphor and explores it. It goes on and on and on, metaphors upon metaphors. Your reader, dear sir, is drifting in and out of ether at this moment. Why go on beyond this point? So far, it's all talk.

I enjoyed the third installment. It focused my attention again, it was written simply, and cohesively, and any reader brave enough to have slogged to this point is rewarded by glorious lines like
Nobody thinks they can love until they can't, when their heart is broken, and then they realize all their lives they've been loving and loving and loving this world and their families and the black night sky like a jeweler's velvet cloth.
Which are beautiful, thought provoking and not overbearing. The last line of the paragraph is also particularly strong.

I hate it when poets or writers or anyone tries to be really clever and deep and throw a whole damn paragraph in parenthesis or brackets. Completely unnecessary, unoriginal, distracting, and pretentious. The words inside are quite poignant- I love the bit about the alethosphere* -but it's impossible to not be distracted thinking when is this bracket going to close? It doesn't deserve that treatment.

Woah! You mean there's actually a story to this? I almost missed it too, due to those brackets. I think the fact that you couldn't hear all the words of the woman on the other end is a metaphor for reading this story.

and if it seems like a stream of consciousness, it's been polluted by my body.
This is true.

The moments of transference from my body to theirs, when the story is on their screen or in their shopping bag and yet to be read, is when it finally exists by itself.

This is the best line.

I have no problems with this paragraph. I'll mention that there's a clear sense of winding down.

8 & 9.
What follows? Indeed. If you wish anyone to read what follows, liberate this first chapter from it's oppressive prose.

Delete paragraph 2, and the later part of paragraph 1 which feeds into it. Remove the brackets. more tangible stuff needs to happen. You're a fantastic writer, but don't try to say everything at once.
The woods are lovely, dark and deep.
But I have promises to keep,
And miles to go before I sleep,
And miles to go before I sleep.
- Robert Frost

It cost $7 million to build the Titanic, and $200 million to make a film about it.
The plastic ties on the end of shoelaces are called aglets

1464 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 1464
Sat Jun 07, 2008 11:14 pm
JabberHut says...

Brad! I feel honored you asked me for a review! I shall do my best to give you a full-out critique of which I promised. :wink:

I'm going to copy Smorgishborg's crit format and go paragraph by paragraph with grammar and overall impressions. :D

Paragraph Eins [1]

Grammar and First Impressions

My poetry received responses, usually rejections, with notes dashed across the page, [no comma] or atop a line: "searing but unfocused," "radiant if schizophrenic," [and/or] "apocalyptic without an apocalypse."

Aww! :lol:

The comma was suggested a deletion due to the fact that the atop a line is a dependent clause. The FANBOYS get a comma in front of them if there is an independent clause on either side of it. The clause after or had no subject or verb, so or gets no comma. :)

The comments were, in general, a note that I should concentrate and redouble my efforts at cohesion, and then resubmit them for another read a few months later.

In general is an interruption in this case. Take it out, and the sentence still means the same thing. It's just added for more effect. :D

I tried to assimilate them in my practice—the procedure of erecting white space in mourning over the black specks along its flanks in such a way that the mourning weren't also a celebration—but nothing seemed to work.

The part in between the dashes confused me a little. I had to read if a few times to understand it a little. In the end, I just skipped it, connecting the original sentence together: I tried to assimilate them in my practice, but nothing seemed to work.

It was like a dialectic of light and dark, [no comma] so that as soon as I moved towards one, I sacrificed the other.

So is not treated as a FANBOYS [in which case there wouldn't be a comma anyway :wink:], but so that is treated like because or since. It gets no comma unless it's phrase is at the beginning of the sentence. In this case, it would make no sense to put the so that phrase in the beginning of the sentence, so just take out the comma. :lol:

Overall Impressions

The first sentence was cute; it made me giggle and saw "Aww" at the same time. At this point, I'm seeing no point to the stuff after the part I liked, though. I love metaphors, and I love your metaphors; but they don't add anything to the point of the paragraph. :?

Paragraph Zwei [2]

[s]Some times[/s] Sometimes it's so thick[,] I can feel myself choking on the dehumidified voices from the past: Hegel, Lorca, Auden, [and/or] Eliot.

That comma's optional, I guess. I'd put one there, but you might not. I haven't found a written rule for that. :lol:

And you seem to be against the FANBOYS when it comes to lists? Maybe there's a reason for that. ^^

Thankfully, I was reborn into this as well: a would-be world where threats hold as much -- if not more -- weight than actions...

I would have put commas, but your list of wheres are separated by commas. If not more is an interruption again. Take it out, and it still means the same thing. You're just adding on to it to make it more interesting. :D

Overall Impressions

Meh, didn't really hit me. To tell the honest truth, I zoned out here and there. It just kept going! :lol: Again, I think this is just a small rant [for lack of a better word] branched from the last sentence of the previous paragraph [which I wasn't too fond of either].

Paragraph Drei [3]

It's advice some people should take more time to consider: [semi instead?] after all, [s]a[/s] we only know a thing works when it fails.

You can choose to have the colon, but be sure to capitalize after; however, I think a semicolon would work best here. It's two related sentences rather than the second summarizing the first one. It's up to you, though. ^^

Nobody thinks they can love until they can't, [dash instead] when their heart is broken, [dash instead] and then they realize [that] all their lives, they've been loving and loving and loving this world and their families and the black night sky like a jeweler's velvet cloth.

I recommend the dashes and the that and the comma so the sentence doesn't appear as a run-on as it had. :D

We move from one place to the next, looking for what we don't have, [s]and are[/s] only faintly aware that our searching is the object of our search.

The and are doesn't really connect the rest of it to a subject that makes sense, unless the first object starts with move and not looking.

Overall Impressions

This was much better to follow. The closer you get to the end of this paragraph, the more you pull me from my zone-age. :lol: The reader can relate to what you're saying. We say, "Oh, yeah! That's so true!" This is an improvement. :D

Paragraph Vier [4]

Every once in a while, I will rise in the morning and catch a glimpse of myself in the mirror, and I won't recognize myself, so maybe we don't even friend our own bodies.

Yikes! We used three FANBOYS and four independent clauses. Is there not a way to split this up or rewrite it so it's not so run-on-ish? :lol:

How you ended the sentence was a lovely tie-back to the previous paragraph. :D

[That was actually this morning, [no comma] after it had stormed all night.

There is no way of perceiving me in the alethosphere—that area between outer space and atmosphere where sound waves and light can still transpire, and things are recorded for someone's viewing pleasure; earthly life, TiVoed by the sky—but that's okay, [no comma] for the most part.

Goodness me, this is an entire sentence? I think the underlined phrase can just be taken out if it's a continuation of the definition of alethosphere. Is this a dictionary? I don't think it's meant to be one, so a short definition of what it is is perfectly fine. Also, I'm confused as to if the semi is inside the dashes or separates the sentences. I hope it's meant to separate the sentences 'cause a semi being inside a pair of dashes just doesn't work. :roll:

There goes the humidity.]. [no period]

Ah, now there's the end of the brackets! But... why is the period outside the brackets? The sentence is inside the brackets, so the punctuation should be in the brackets. One of the many rules of parentheses forgotten. :D

It was actually this morning that I picked up the phone before it ought to ring, [no comma] which I should have known meant something bad.

So you picked up the phone before it rang? I just want to make sure I'm thinking this right. :?

Which actually works just like because or since as well. It doesn't get a comma in front of it. :D

Overall Impressions

The entire paragraph is in brackets? I don't see the point in that. I expected a small bracket after its sentence, not an enormous paragraph in the brackets. :lol: If there's a way to not have the brackets take up the entire paragraph, it would be awesome-possum. :D

I think this paragraph was well-written as well. I pictured it in my mind pretty easily, and you were talking to me in my mind, not lecturing me. That was good. :D

Paragraph Fünf [5]

I wouldn't have stumbled in my sleepy stupor to its obnoxious chirping, but eventually, though. [dash instead] Eventually I would have picked up after bracing myself, after preparing myself for the acid of emptiness that would cauterize my stomach.

You ended the first sentence a bit awkwardly. I suggest a dash so that the sentence doesn't end so randomly and yet it continues to explain the eventuality. ^_^

I could have eviscerated myself and made a few bucks on the black market. [semi instead?] But I don't believe in signs, and I did answer.

It's always awkward for me to recommend a semi, but it can definitely be used here so the random but... sentence doesn't randomly start with a FANBOYS. :lol: Your choice, though. ^_^

When we hung up, the dialectic switched on me, [no comma] without my knowing, [no comma] until I drove my shin into the coffee table.

Well you either knew your you didn't, so this little bit is important. :D

Ouch, that's gotta hurt. :x

Overall Impressions

You've still got my attention. Very good so far! There was actually some story to tell, and readers love stories! They love pictures! I saw it here, and I very much enjoyed it! ^_^

Paragraph Sechs [6]

Not physically, necessarily, but psychically I shift gears as often as my mind will allow:

What kind of word is psychically? LOL I know what you mean by it, but I'm still trying to say it! :lol: Ignore this comment; it is no correction whatsoever. xD

My body which, unlike my mind, is not an amalgam of free associations of particles pushed endlessly towards the salt point—where fresh water becomes salty, where the ocean begins and the river ends, and where neither exist for very long.

The stuff in the dash sounded out of order to me. Fresh water becomes salty. That means it starts as a river and becomes an ocean? Maybe I'm thinking too deeply right now. :lol:

Overall Impressions

Not much to comment here. It still flowed, you still had me. You were starting to lose me until I hit the shopping bag scene. I'm like, "Yeah, very true." :lol: Good comeback. :wink:

Paragraph Sieben [7]

But despite that, I curled up against the sheets, feeling smaller than before, and closed my eyes, which quickly became an arduous task.

The weight that had rested upon them before was suddenly gone, and holding them down was a miracle in itself.

This would be that FANBOYS rule I pointed out earlier with the independent clauses on either side of and for it to have a comma. :D

Overall Impressions

Ooh, the ending of this paragraph made me smile. Very nice with this one, I dare say. You brought us back to the story -- a good tieback 'cause the story wasn't totally lost yet. You brought it back to memory at the last second. :wink:

Paragraph Acht [8]

Your new friends are your colleagues, and more than any personal affections are your professional ones.

The first part of this sentence made sense, but the second part of it I stumbled over.

Overall Impressions

Aww, it ends so sweetly. I got the special goosebumps, which tells me it's closing down at either a good or bad point.

Paragraph Neun [9]

Reader, you must know that in that pre-dawn twilight, there was lightning in my stomach...

Overall Impressions

Ahh, amazing ending! It was kinda creepy but it was very awesome-possum, I daresay. :D

Overall Comments

It was very heavy on the reader. We kind of have to be on our game, wide awake, and ready to go to read this. You have lots of metaphors and explanations that can really zone the reader out, and then you bring us back in with the story or the "Oh, yeah, that's so true!" statements.

Keep in mind, we love our readers! We don't want to lose them. We want to keep them hooked all the way through, and going off on tangents is what loses them. Keep tangents to a minimal if it's possible, or keep them interesting. Love your reader as yourself. :wink:

If you have any questions, comments, complaints, requests, etc., PM me, and I'd be happy to assist! :D

Keep writing!

Jabber, the One and Only!
I make my own policies.

3821 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 3821
Sun Jun 08, 2008 8:09 am
Snoink says...

Okay, so as you already know, I don't really like this for a number of different reasons. The narrator is creeeeepy and I hate him. Usually, I am used to narrators who can communicate easily about their lives and, although a flaw is obvious, they are doing their dandiest to overcome this flaw and become a better person. This is not so for this guy. There is no fatal flaw about him, nor does he reveal one directly. Instead, there is something wrong with his style that grates on me--although he speaks in a comprehensible manner, it is apparent that there is something inherently wrong with him. I don't like it that he spends so much time listening to Lorca and his other band of happy authors. He seems to be living in an abstract world and, although he sometimes references the concrete world that he lives it, he seems so distant that he appears to be slightly sociopathic, if that makes sense. Although you didn't say that he was schizophrenic directly, it is clear that there is something weird going on with the person's reality. So yeah. He definitely is crazy and I am not really liking him at all.

[That was actually this morning, after it had stormed all night. I pretended not to notice my slight start at seeing another person in the mirror, and I realized my body is always smaller than I imagine it in my head. Compared to the buildings of the city, the baobabs, the music on the radio, I am almost a sleight of light, a trick of perception. There is no way of perceiving me in the alethosphere—that area between outer space and atmosphere where sound waves and light can still transpire, and things are recorded for someone's viewing pleasure; earthly life, TiVoed by the sky—but that's okay, for the most part. Not being perceived means you are not really reading this, which means I'm not writing this; I'm breathing it. There goes the humidity].

The last two sentences DON'T fit the style of the bracketed thing, so it fails.

It was actually this morning that I picked up the phone before it ought to ring, which I should have known meant something bad.

You may want to rephrase this just so that your average idiotic reader doesn't get confused like this average idiotic reader. XD It made a lot more sense when I realized the meaning of "ought" but still. ;)

Anyway, yay! And remember.. if the FANBOYS get you, just turn yourself into an alley. :D
Ubi caritas est vera, Deus ibi est.

"The mark of your ignorance is the depth of your belief in injustice and tragedy. What the caterpillar calls the end of the world, the Master calls the butterfly." ~ Richard Bach

Moth and Myth <- My comic! :D

516 Reviews

Reviews: 516
Sun Jun 08, 2008 10:13 am
Riedawriter23 says...

Hi! :)

Incandescence wrote:My poetry received responses, usually rejections, with notes dashed across the page, or atop a line: "searing but unfocused," "radiant if schizophrenic," "apocalyptic without an apocalypse." The comments were in general a note that I should concentrate and redouble my efforts at cohesion, and then resubmit them for another read a few months later. I tried to assimilate them in my practice—the procedure of erecting white space in mourning over the black specks along its flanks in such a way that the mourning weren't also a celebration—but nothing seemed to work. It was like a dialectic of light and dark, so that as soon as I moved towards one, I sacrificed the other. It was like trying to reign back the temporary lapses in synaptic transmission in favor of some other kind of lapsing. Probably the kind of lapsing that produces a soundproof narrative instead of a handful of phrases that echo against the words of others before effervescing into thin air.

**Very colorful. I love how this begins. Understandable and yet full and wordy, in a good way mind you. I loved the very last sentence, but mostly when you said "It was like a dialect of light and dark...."

But then, the air is never really thin here. Some times it's so thick I can feel myself choking on the dehumidified voices from the past: Hegel, Lorca, Auden, Eliot. Some times it's so thick with the sweat of my body and my own idle warmth. Most times it rains before I die, and I can feel the voices and sweat and humidity being pummeled to the soft ground. I am even deaf to those voices that cry out. I thank the liquid bullets that drop from the atmosphere and dissolve upon impact for that. I thank the foundation that supports the storm clouds and purports to bring them here. Thank you, Cherokees. Thank you, Paparuda and Perperuna. Thanks to you, I have only died twice in my life to be reborn as a poet, as this poet. A would-be poet, to be exact. Like our would-be war and our would-be marriages and our would-be families. Thankfully, I was reborn into this as well: a would-be world where threats hold as much if not more weight than actions, where words bear the responsibility of meaning, where language is not just a medium but a message as well.

**Just as colorful. It would be overstimulating to have all of these analogies and metaphors and all over vibrant language...but for some reason it isn't here. I think it's because you narrator is so crazy that it makes it okay? I'm not sure.

My body knows all this, too. It realizes it is both an artifice for life and life itself, and the autonomy scares it. It wishes to be an aphorism or a baobab with a little prince to pull it by the roots. I prefer Beckett's response: No matter. Try again. Fail again. Fail better. It's advice some people should take more time to consider: after all, a we only know a thing works when it fails. Like our hearts, like our bodies. Nobody thinks they can love until they can't, when their heart is broken, and then they realize all their lives they've been loving and loving and loving this world and their families and the black night sky like a jeweler's velvet cloth. The seconds before and behind us; the seconds we take after dinner to get seconds. All of it moves through me. I am a temporary interruption of service, a broken phone line that stretches to connect here to there. It's okay. I'm not alone in my indeterminacy. Thankfully the entire twenty-first century is filled with ghosts like me. We move from one place to the next looking for what we don't have and are only faintly aware that our searching is the object of our search. Nobody even needs to leave the comfort of their homes anymore. I can search the globe in a few minutes on my computer; I can find someone to love me through a website. I can find a best friend and presence is irrelevant. I suppose that's the truth of it all along, though. We don't friend bodies.

**" It's advice some people should take more time to consider: after all, a we only know a thing works when it fails. Like our hearts, like our bodies." I like this line. It makes so much sense. I didn't get it until I read it the second time but, it really is completely true. The ummm....what was I going to say, oh the "a" before the word "we" doesn't belong there I don't think. That was the only error I found in the whole thing :P. Also, just a thought here, the narrator seems...otherworldly? Not really out of this world but I guess just out of our general mindset and moreso superhuman? I'm guessing this is where the schizoprenia comes in to play. I guess I'm just catching how he talks about himself.

Every once in a while, I will rise in the morning and catch a glimpse of myself in the mirror, and I won't recognize myself, so maybe we don't even friend our own bodies. [That was actually this morning, after it had stormed all night. I pretended not to notice my slight start at seeing another person in the mirror, and I realized my body is always smaller than I imagine it in my head. Compared to the buildings of the city, the baobabs, the music on the radio, I am almost a sleight of light, a trick of perception. There is no way of perceiving me in the alethosphere—that area between outer space and atmosphere where sound waves and light can still transpire, and things are recorded for someone's viewing pleasure; earthly life, TiVoed by the sky—but that's okay, for the most part. Not being perceived means you are not really reading this, which means I'm not writing this; I'm breathing it. There goes the humidity]. It was actually this morning that I picked up the phone before it ought to ring, which I should have known meant something bad.

**My favorite paragraph. I was sitting here thinking for a while, not because I didn't get it but because this brings up a lot of good points. Though, when the narrator is talking about his reflection, is he saying all of this metaphorically or literally? It's a little hard tryhing to defuse the two when the language is so sparkly :P

If I believed in signs, I wouldn't have answered it. I would have buried my head under pillows and blankets until I couldn't hear it or the voices or the rain. I wouldn't have stumbled in my sleepy stupor to its obnoxious chirping, but eventually, though. Eventually I would have picked up after bracing myself, after preparing myself for the acid of emptiness that would cauterize my stomach. I could have eviscerated myself and made a few bucks on the black market. But I don't believe in signs, and I did answer. As soon as I heard her voice, I knew the words it was carrying. I didn't have to understand every thing she said to hate her. Suddenly, she was not my friend of seven years; her voice was not familiar or loving, but atonal, artificially buoyed by her fatalism for my sake, and insubstantial. It was a thin cover for the raw, animalistic, scathed-by-loss voice people should have. When we hung up, the dialectic switched on me, without my knowing, until I drove my shin into the coffee table. That's what the dialectic was good for: reminding me that I am neither light nor dark but an object in their struggle, a word in a language I don't know.

**I am so incredibly curious about this conversation it kills me 0.0. I want to know what happened toooooo. Tell him to share.

Maybe if I believed in myself more, I would fling myself less to the moment and concern myself less with untoward activities like dialectics. [What, if anything, did Hegel really accomplish besides provoking two centuries of quibbling gentlemen?]. But I don't have content enough in myself for waiting—not even for idling—as Nietzsche would say. So I move around constantly. Not physically, necessarily, but psychically I shift gears as often as my mind will allow: focusing like this for so long, to say so much and so little, is uncommon. I jump from one place to the next without realizing I've made a leap, and if it seems like a stream of consciousness, it's been polluted by my body. My body which, unlike my mind, is not an amalgam of free associations of particles pushed endlessly towards the salt point—where fresh water becomes salty, where the ocean begins and the river ends, and where neither exist for very long. If my writing (or breathing, as it were) is to liberate itself from the weight of my life and my body, then that liberation can only happen with a reader, to whom the story will attach itself forever. The moments of transference from my body to theirs, when the story is on their screen or in their shopping bag and yet to be read, is when it finally exists by itself. That freedom I rank as a miracle in the order of things.

**There was so much I liked out of this paragraph I couldn't list it all.

I wasn't sure what to do afterwards: if I should get my shoes or try returning to sleep. In some sense, I knew before I tried that sleep was no option; it was the way a static charge sat between my mouth and my heart and made my breathing tingle that I should have taken as indicative of my dilemma. But despite that, I curled up against the sheets feeling smaller than before and closed my eyes, which quickly became an arduous task. The weight that had rested upon them before was suddenly gone and holding them down was a miracle in itself. What they sought to see in the darkness of my bedroom, I'll never know. Perhaps they were waiting for him to come through the door, to stumble in and laugh, to signal the incredulity of the whole thing. [Perhaps I should have believed in signs]. It wasn't until I heard the voice of Lorca, or what I imagined Lorca's English voice to be, that I rose from the bed and moved to the living room. It said, "Mother of God, how the street lamp faintly flickered!" and I thought of him. I thought what a strange and exciting thing it must have been to be so genuine and loving as to be a part of the world of light and dark and to understand it, however faint, however flickering. And then I thought of myself, and how without him, I would never see the same again. The world would always be a little darker; my vision would always be a little narrower than before.

**...So...gah I'm insanely curious. I know what I think...but I'll save that for after I find out a little more.

While I know there are men and women out there who shine just as much, I also know it wouldn't work. You see, after a certain age, you have to live with the friends you've made. After that age, which might really be the transition to adulthood, you never make friends the same way. Your new friends are your colleagues, and more than any personal affections are your professional ones. You forget that friendship is more resilient than love because friendship also liberates the body and its actions from our persons, whereas love is such a strong current towards the body. A man can drown in love or be carried far from his home. A friend requires only that you keep in touch and, from time to time, send your love.

**So very true. I guess...well it's almost slightly depressing but, true.

Reader, you must know that in that pre-dawn twilight there was lightning in my stomach as I stood at the window and listened to the lowing train in the distance, the sound like an old dragon just awaking. Reader, you must know that what follows follows only out of fear. Fear for myself, and fear that I will always be a shade or shadow in someone else's dialectic. I wish to acknowledge my reader for his kind support in setting me free. I wish to acknowledge the blood in the kitchen sink as something greater than depression and loneliness. I wish the events that followed were only a fiction.

**Blood...in the kitchen sink...so...I'm connecting things that are perhaps a trap to look too closely at. I need to just read the next one, yes? So...I want the next one. :) *gives more cookies!* They'll just keep on coming. In other words, your narrator is awesome, the language is beautiful...I'm confused but I assume that I'm supposed to be. Hopefully.

Keep writing!
~Rieda
I love, love.
*This wonderful crit is brought to you by CCF!*

896 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 896
Mon Jun 09, 2008 3:43 am
PenguinAttack says...

Based on paragraphs! ^^

1. Personally, I like this. You have a good feel of an almost stream of consciousness here. I think, considering the beginning references to the writing, the way his mind goes through its processes is clever, well done.

2. I believe someone must have pointed out along the way that “sometimes” doesn’t have a space in it? Least ways, not how you’re usin’ it. I’m not a fan of using “But” to start a sentence, let alone a paragraph, but it’s not a huge issue here, I suppose. You also repeat “sweat” twice within two lines. I’d try to find another word for the second, or first (I’d suggest first, the second use is quite fitting) I like your “would-be” here, the repetition does you well (there’s a term for the use here, but I’ve completely lost it)

3. This is a build up, it feels. The whole paragraph climaxes when you reach “We don’t friend bodies” and it’s brilliant. You could remove bits and pieces of this paragraph, and you would still come to the conclusion you do, but it would not be as fantastic as it is. The buildup is well done.

4. I’ve no issue with the parenthesis here, I don’t see as to why it needs to be a problem either. ^^ It does what it is created to do, and does it well. I found reading it easy and it aided understanding, it truly sounded like an aside. I dislike the word “TiVoed” < it’s just an ugly word. ^^

5. Here we get story. We’re (some would say finally) getting to the real events that push the narrative along. I like that you don’t forgo the entire feeling you have in your earlier paragraphs, we just get a lowered, more sedate form of the same. It’s intriguing.

6. I think that now you shudder back into the previous feeling. You skipped it for a paragraph, you see, gave the readers the break they thought they needed. Now that you pelt back in they feel affronted, you’re too much too quickly without justification. I, personally, love it. Can’t help but have a mind that enjoys the long solitude of an intricate body of work. But you’re marking this out for many people to read, and they’re obviously having some issue. Take a slow approach with this paragraph, I’d suggest, so you dip back into the speed in such a way that they don’t realize what you’ve done until it’s done.

7. Here you slip back again, you’re less intense in the language, with less to deconstruct. You’re helping out your readers again. And it pays off. It’s more story and we’re a bit further forward. I enjoy the glimpses of information between the words.

8. You’re even simpler, winding down, as it were. It’s working for you. Still, you keep a deep meaning. Your audience appreciates it.

9.You end on a fantastic note. It makes me want to read more.

At times you’re too much, I think, for your majority influence. Now, personally I can’t see a problem with an intricate, intense read. But it’s out of style now, you’re slipping into an introspective ideal that is no longer in mainstream reading. It’s setting the response of your work back.

I like the character, and I love the way you’re setting him out. You layer information between the words, as it were. We get a new bit of something each time.

I really do look forward to more, Minx. This is good.

*Hearts* Le Penguin.
I like you as an enemy, but I love you as a friend.

1258 Reviews

Reviews: 1258
Mon Jun 09, 2008 7:11 am
Sam says...

My son, simply because you bothered me so often about this, I'm withholding all but the bare minimum--rearrangement. I think I'm going to develop a strange, cultish fascination with this piece, simply because it's so unassuming and yet a very strange medley of your poetry and some strange kind of prose that I can't place. Your main challenge is making it acceptable to prose readers (which I can ramble about if you like).

Every once in a while, I will rise in the morning and catch a glimpse of myself in the mirror, and I won't recognize myself, so maybe we don't even befriend our own bodies. [That was actually this morning, after it had stormed all night. I pretended not to notice my slight start at seeing another person in the mirror, and I realized my body is always smaller than I imagine it in my head. Compared to the buildings of the city, the baobabs, the music on the radio, I am almost a sleight of light, a trick of perception. There is no way of perceiving me in the alethosphere—that area between outer space and atmosphere where sound waves and light can still transpire, and things are recorded for someone's viewing pleasure; earthly life, TiVoed by the sky—but that's okay, for the most part. Not being perceived means you are not really reading this, which means I'm not writing this; I'm breathing it. There goes the humidity]. It was actually this morning that I picked up the phone before it ought to ring, which I should have known meant something bad.

If I believed in signs, I wouldn't have answered it. I would have buried my head under pillows and blankets until I couldn't hear it or the voices or the rain. I wouldn't have stumbled in my sleepy stupor to its obnoxious chirping, but eventually, though. Eventually I would have picked up after bracing myself, after preparing myself for the acid of emptiness that would cauterize my stomach. I could have eviscerated myself and made a few bucks on the black market. But I don't believe in signs, and I did answer. As soon as I heard her voice, I knew the words it was carrying. I didn't have to understand every thing she said to hate her. Suddenly, she was not my friend of seven years; her voice was not familiar or loving, but atonal, artificially buoyed by her fatalism for my sake, and insubstantial. It was a thin cover for the raw, animalistic, scathed-by-loss voice people should have. When we hung up, the dialectic switched on me, without my knowing, until I drove my shin into the coffee table. That's what the dialectic was good for: reminding me that I am neither light nor dark but an object in their struggle, a word in a language I don't know.

I wasn't sure what to do afterwards: if I should get my shoes or try returning to sleep. In some sense, I knew before I tried that sleep was no option; it was the way a static charge sat between my mouth and my heart and made my breathing tingle that I should have taken as indicative of my dilemma. But despite that, I curled up against the sheets feeling smaller than before and closed my eyes, which quickly became an arduous task. The weight that had rested upon them before was suddenly gone and holding them down was a miracle in itself. What they sought to see in the darkness of my bedroom, I'll never know. Perhaps they were waiting for him to come through the door, to stumble in and laugh, to signal the incredulity of the whole thing. [Perhaps I should have believed in signs]. It wasn't until I heard the voice of Lorca, or what I imagined Lorca's English voice to be, that I rose from the bed and moved to the living room. It said, "Mother of God, how the street lamp faintly flickered!" and I thought of him. I thought what a strange and exciting thing it must have been to be so genuine and loving as to be a part of the world of light and dark and to understand it, however faint, however flickering. And then I thought of myself, and how without him, I would never see the same again. The world would always be a little darker; my vision would always be a little narrower than before.

And so on and so forth. Basically? If it's in your first chapter and it's not somehow related with the plot at hand (that is, answering the telephone), toss it. It might be beauteous. I might be printing it out and framing it as we speak. I have the same problem--I love my characters and toying with the intricacies of language, but if there is nothing steering it along, there's nothing in it for the vast majority of your readers.

There are two kinds of readers in this world: your aesthetes and everyone else. Chances are, if you're not in a smoky room with people in homemade scarves and thick glasses and a punch bowl with something suspicious collecting at the bottom, your readers consist of the "everyone else" category. [That is to say, most aesthetes are drugged and/or educated, so I wouldn't take chances.]

My point? A plot, however thin, needs to be present from the beginning.

Me, having a lot of fun with language and only a facsimile of a sham of a plot.

Think of everything you write fiction-wise as auditioning for ANTM. If it's not thin and/or fiiiiierce, then you have a problem. Cut out as much extra as possible, and keep only the most striking bits to characterize.

Savvy, darling?
Graffiti is the most passionate form of literature there is.

- Demetri Martin

245 Reviews

Reviews: 245
Mon Jun 09, 2008 11:01 am
LowKey says...

I'm slow, but it's my own fault for forgetting all about you. Sorry 'bout that.

I really liked the wording of this entire piece. I think someone already mentioned how it was like a mixture of a story and your poem-writing skills. And despite the apparent lack of plot (except for the phone call, perhaps) I found it was an interesting piece. Which is odd, because I normally like for a piece to start off in the middle of something happening, and I like to know the plot before I get too far in. Or at least get the feeling there will be a plot soon. In this, I didn't get the feeling there would be any plot, any where. Until the phone call, that is, which was a really interesting paragraph. My favorite in the story, I think, just because of what is said about the character, and the words of the friend. How her voice was described. But the phone call was quickly dropped, giving us no idea what was said. I don't think you should tell us, though. I think the fact that you don't fits in with the story and the style of writing. I don't like how you just dropped it, though. It's not like you suddenly switched topics, because you did ease away from it and there was transition. I just expected something more to come from it, or at least have it mentioned later.

It was just a really good paragraph, and it seemed useful in developing the main character a bit more, though I'm not sure how. I just thought it would be a bit more important to the story somehow. It's the first bit, and so far only bit, of plot in the story, so it just seemed like it should have another mention somewhere.

My two-cents are gone, so onward we go.

Not physically, necessarily, but psychically I shift gears as often as my mind will allow: focusing like this for so long, to say so much and so little, is uncommon.

If nothing else did it, then that line was the tipping point for giving away his mental state. I personally like psychotic characters. They're usually interesting, at the very least are different from the rest of the character cast, and have a remarkable knack for moving the plot forward. And I like him that way.

I tried to assimilate them in my practice—the procedure of erecting white space in mourning over the black specks along its flanks in such a way that the mourning weren't also a celebration—but nothing seemed to work.

That line, at least the part inside the dashes, spun my head in circles. It still does. If you wanted confusing, you did it.

Every once in a while, I will rise in the morning and catch a glimpse of myself in the mirror, and I won't recognize myself, so maybe we don't even friend our own bodies. [That was actually this morning, after it had stormed all night. I pretended not to notice my slight start at seeing another person in the mirror, and I realized my body is always smaller than I imagine it in my head. Compared to the buildings of the city, the baobabs, the music on the radio, I am almost a sleight of light, a trick of perception. There is no way of perceiving me in the alethosphere—that area between outer space and atmosphere where sound waves and light can still transpire, and things are recorded for someone's viewing pleasure; earthly life, TiVoed by the sky—but that's okay, for the most part. Not being perceived means you are not really reading this, which means I'm not writing this; I'm breathing it. There goes the humidity]. It was actually this morning that I picked up the phone before it ought to ring, which I should have known meant something bad.

That whole paragraph was good. Half-way through the brackets, though, I scrolled up to make sure I hadn't missed the end bracket. Then I scanned down to make sure there was an end bracket. They're fine where they are. It's just we readers so used the brackets only having a couple sentences in them that a paragraph has us wondering if you forgot something. Once I knew there was an end, it was easier to read through without wasting attention on looking for an end bracket.

That's all I've got, really, as far as picking it apart. It was wonderfully written. It was all amazing in how it developed him without any incident, other than the phone and mirror. I liked how we were in his thoughts the entire time, and it never once got boring. It was really well done. There were some really amazing lines in there. I'm too lazy to pick a few of them out, but they were really awesome. :)

It was so good, I forgive you for not writing FM 10, and am looking forward to reading #2.

...Not that I'm done waiting for FM. You've gotten too much a build up on that for it to be forgotten. ;)

Dreamer
Necropolis SB / Necropolis DT

Once was Dreamer, is now LowKey_Lyesmith.

Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.

381 Reviews

Reviews: 381
Mon Jun 09, 2008 10:56 pm
Fand says...

One thing I like about your style is that you sometimes create a sort of emotional wind tunnel, the reader buffeted by both discomfort and fascination. This is a good effect; the reader wants to keep reading, but it’s a challenge. They have to work for it. It’s very post-modern Eco of you, and as a littérateur I love it.

The problem with this first chapter is that your narrator steps in, checks out the reader in his exhilarating wind tunnel, and gives him a big, fat shove into the “discomfort” zone. If the reader’s literary disquiet turns into literary alienation, you’re going to need an awful lot of fascination to counterbalance that—and frankly, I don’t think I’ve ever read a piece of literature that offers enough fascination to cancel out my frustration with your narrator.

Une.

My poetry received responses, usually rejections, with notes dashed across the page, or atop a line: "searing but unfocused," "radiant if schizophrenic," "apocalyptic without an apocalypse."

This sentence is perfectly crafted; it tells the reader so much! The narrator is obviously highly intelligent, and very literary himself. (This also gives the reader high expectations—literary narrators/protagonists have to deliver great things, or fall completely flat.) The quotes from the publishers also offer a great method of indirect characterization, because regardless of what some critics want us to believe, it’s common sense that a writer’s works reflect his nature.

The rest of this paragraph, unfortunately, undoes all of the good created by that stunning opening line. It’s too heavy, too self-aware; really, it just tries too hard all around. We get that your reader is intelligent. Putting tooth-splintering statements like “I tried to assimilate them in my practice—the procedure of erecting white space in mourning over the black specks along its flanks in such a way that the mourning weren't also a celebration—but nothing seemed to work” just makes the reader want to look away.

Deux.

Take this paragraph out, fine-tune it a little, and add line breaks. It’s the transsexual paragraph of this chapter—it knows it should be a poem, but was born into a body of prose. There are some great lines here, but again, the alienation of the reader (courtesy of your insufferable narrator) outweighs the fascination.

Trois.

It’s just too much!

Quatre.

I actually love this paragraph. It loses some of its shine, though, buried underneath top-heavy paragraphs like une, deux, et trois. The bit in brackets is stunning—and it’s a perfectly example of how to do what you do best. It’s just as poetic as most of deux, but it’s not as densely overbearing; it’s more comfortable for the reader, while still posing a challenge. Your images, after all, are rarely anything but vivid and original.

Also—thank the literary gods—there’s finally some tangible action in this paragraph. The phone rings! Yes! Something that isn’t cerebral! There—that’s it. That’s what this lacks (at least thus far): balance. You just need to balance it out a little more, lol.

Cinq.

I wouldn't have stumbled in my sleepy stupor to its obnoxious chirping, but eventually, though. Eventually I would have picked up after bracing myself, after preparing myself for the acid of emptiness that would cauterize my stomach.

I’m not sure I like that this was broken into two sentences; after reading it again, it makes perfect sense, and flows fine, but the first time through it’s a little too abrupt a jolt. As for the rest of the paragraph—at some point he hits his shin on the coffee table, and he hung up. There are an awful lot of words in this paragraph to contain only a handful of actions. Trim the fat, maybe?

Six.

[What, if anything, did Hegel really accomplish besides provoking two centuries of quibbling gentlemen?]

I love this aside. And the previous sentence makes me want to jump up and down and shake your narrator, screaming, “Yes! Exactly! Do that!

Not physically, necessarily, but psychically I shift gears as often as my mind will allow

Yes, that’s basically the style of this piece in a nutshell—and it psychically shifts gears a little too often for your readers to be able to keep up.

My body which, unlike my mind, is not an amalgam of free associations of particles pushed endlessly towards the salt point—where fresh water becomes salty, where the ocean begins and the river ends, and where neither exist for very long.

The juxtaposition of humanity and bodies of water works beautifully here. This really is an incredibly quotable paragraph, lol.

If my writing (or breathing, as it were) is to liberate itself from the weight of my life and my body, then that liberation can only happen with a reader, to whom the story will attach itself forever.

Yes! Okay. Your narrator understands this. Good. Now, make him behave and stop alienating his readers, or he’s going to kill himself off.

Sept.

Again, bizarrely, you’ve shown us just how brilliantly you can write—here you’ve let more of yourself shine through, and pushed aside all that overbearing haughtiness your narrator brings to the prose. “It wasn’t until I heard the voice of Lorca… and I thought of him” is my favourite part, I think—it’s just perfect. Understated, layered, and rich with meaning without being unbearable.

Huit.

I like the tone and content of this paragraph, but in a few places it reads a little awkwardly. For example, “Your new friends are your colleagues, and more than any personal affections are your professional ones.” Is there a word missing between “more” and “than?” It feels a little incomplete. Also, in “whereas love is such a strong current towards the body,” I’d suggest cutting “such.” It doesn’t add much, but does shove an unnecessary and unflattering image of your narrator—smugly approving of his own eloquence—into my head.

Neuf.

Too much, again. Lowing trains like old dragons? Cut the first sentence, and you’ve got something pretty amazing—but it’s hard to get past the corny metaphors to the power of “I wish to acknowledge the blood in the kitchen sink,” which is really where the reader belongs—and wants to be.
Bitter Charlie :: Shady Grove, CA :: FreeRice (162,000/1,000,000)

915 Reviews

Reviews: 915
Tue Jun 10, 2008 8:02 am
Incandescence says...

Added #2.
"If I have not seen as far as others, it is because giants were standing on my shoulders." -Hal Abelson

516 Reviews

Reviews: 516
Tue Jun 10, 2008 9:28 am
Riedawriter23 says...

Part 2:
Hola :)

This one seemed a lot more human but it got....eerie. Still love the narrator. He/she :P seemed far more vulnerable and it was kinda shocking at first and sudden. I didn't dexpect it. First he's this man that's ontop of his language, seems to have an unflawed(or possibly very flawed) view of the world about him and then, he just shut down and the stronger character was Tyler and he didn't come off as "special" I'll say, like your main character. He just seemed so ordinary next to him and so real, making the narrator seem almost...I don't know, crazy isn't the word to describe him, he's just twitchy and different and interesting... Maybe even broken, it's just coming to mind that since he DOES know so much about things, he's lacking in other areas and needs a counterpart *cough* schizophrenia*cough* And I didn't really understand Marie but...I liked how she was described.

Can't waiiiiiit for more! *cookies*
Must. Have!

~Rieda
I love, love.
*This wonderful crit is brought to you by CCF!*

245 Reviews

Reviews: 245
Tue Jun 10, 2008 11:42 am
LowKey says...

I had never truly lost anyone close before.

Plot!

And I'm proud of myself, because I had a suspicion that the phone call may have had something to do with that. I've yet to read the full story, though. I'm critting as I go. But for the moment at least, I'm pleased.

So someone N knew died, N got a phone call from a different friend, and is eating with her and another friend. And that sentence from before that had my head in circles, along with a couple other's, is explained now. It makes sense. I'm happy about that as well. I'm very happy so far. ^_^

The sonnet is also a loss, though one we've come to appreciate, which is a shame: its violence goes without note because it is a violence of form and not a violence of function. When forms exhibit violence, we ignore them and look to their function. When states engage in war, they make no topography of desire or offense and, in so doing, retain their ability to quit at any time, to concede, to treatize, to conquer. As if any man can control the forms of geography.

Underlined = really good line. I like that whole section, but I really like that line.

I looked to the ceiling made of glass—glass which, through the 19th century, developed architecturally as a significant material. Despite this development, it was not until the following century that the social demand for it would meet its ability. Today, it is still considered a material with strong associative ties to utopia, to utopian societies, which is why its primary use is in places like this: as fascia fashioned to the roof of a mall, a restaurant, airports, train stations, skyscrapers. It is always omnipresent in places of a transitory nature where the only thing stationary is the structure itself.

That's an interesting train of thought... He goes from wanting to smash a plate to thinking about the story of glass. I like how he continues to go into thoughts on the history of things, like the glass there ^^ and again about the arcades in the 19th century. I love he gets developed by little more than his trains of thought. Little dialogue, and few situations. Mainly thoughts.

In the same way a dog can be trained to find a small child by smell—the eyes are unnecessary, what must be trusted is the invisible. On the other other hand, which also holds my Bible, perhaps I heard her because her voice was forever scratched into my eardrum.

The other other hand, you say? ;)

You're not OK.

Okay, this is a personal opinion, but seeing 'OK' in caps like that is starting to bug my brain. It's like the characters really want to emphasize the word 'okay'.

I really liked it. N's developed, and I feel bad for him now. :( It's good that I feel emotion for him, but grah. You're good in a cruel way. I had started off so happy, but now I feel bad for him. It was interesting reading the things about the readers. That was really interesting. But poor guy.

Also, as much as I dislike your semi-cliffhanger, I love how the story ends. Perfect place to end it.

Part 3 soon?

Dreamer
Necropolis SB / Necropolis DT

Once was Dreamer, is now LowKey_Lyesmith.

Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.

896 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 896
Tue Jun 10, 2008 12:12 pm
PenguinAttack says...

I don’t know how much of a comment I’m going to be able to give you. I’m really liking this. You end on a fantastic line, really. It’s not what Tyler would have been expecting and it’s not what I was expecting. Keeping your reader on their toes is important, and you do that well.

Tyler is much more grounded than the narrator. Yet, I feel that Marie might not be. She’s wavering on the sidelines. They in cahoots, she and Tyler, which I gathered from the look, but she’s not as solid as Tyler is. She has a fragile feeling to her, which I think I’m being completely on that one bit where he can’t discern her expression. So, I am suspicious but willing to know more about her. Suspicious because she is letting Tyler approach him when maybe she would be just as good, and because I almost think that she wouldn’t be just as good, because she‘s sliding away from reality herself. Although I doubt it is this one so much, she’s more solid than the narrator, but in limbo for real people so I don’t feel she’s lost base that far.

Then again, the narrator also has a hold on reality, if only because he can still function on that automated level. That’s still an indication that he’s still here. His fragility comes when he rants. When he rants and cannot seem to finish, or be willing to stop himself from letting the slide of words tumble out, even when Tyler is obviously uncomfortable, and needing his solidity. He feels like an anchor. Tyler says that they want him back, it’s ambiguous because he could mean back at a place, though he means back with them in the real functioning world. I feel as though they’re tired and scared for him, and they need him to be solid so that they can keep properly together. Tyler’s voice wavers, he understands but he doesn’t.

And I’ve probably just read way too much into this. ^^

I eagerly await the next instalment. I like the narrator and your style, Minx. Keep it up.

*Hearts* Le Penguin.
I like you as an enemy, but I love you as a friend.

2631 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 2631
Tue Jun 10, 2008 5:26 pm
Rydia says...

Okay, now where to start? The others have covered grammer pretty well and I feel like I can't do anything other than give you a few general observations because this, in my opinion, is just too well written to fault. But I'll see what I can do. Hmmm, well you've been given German and French so why not Spanish?

Uno:

The first sentence is great, it really draws the reader's attention and gives a brilliant insight towards what they can expect of their Narrator and this piece of writing. In fact, the whole paragraph or rather almost the entire piece of text does the same, drawing an analogy between how the Narrator writes and the piece of writing. The stream of consciousness style fits perfectly and the Narrator's awareness of the reader makes for an interesting phenomenon.

Dos:

At first, I was irritated by your use of 'Some times' as opposed to 'Sometimes' but when you used it the second time, I warmed to it. I don't know if you split the word on purpose but I actually rather like it like that, I love the uniqueness of your Narrator's speech pattern and his very disembodied, distant approach. I think it ends a little weak with the conclusion that language is a message rather than just a meaning because I was expecting something stronger than that, what with your talk of war and threats and action. I don't know what quite I was expecting but something more clever and less ordinary than language is a message.

Tres:

It's advice some people should take more time to consider: after all, [s]a[/s] we only know a thing works when it fails.

You have some absolutely amazing imagery in this paragraph and you really start to reach the essence of your Narrator. His emotion is conveyed beautifully and it's so easy to feel close to him and to feel close to understanding him, while at the same time, he's a million miles away, both in some of his ideals and in his intelligence. The reader has some difficulty connecting with your Narrator and yet, in this paragraph, that no longer matters because suddenly he's clearer and he feels so much more 'normal' because he's offering views that we can all understand and relate to. Your conclusion for this paragraph is much stronger than that for the other and really made me think so great work on this paragraph.

Cuatro:

The use of the bracket is clever and only a little disconcerting -- I must admit that I glanced down to check that it did end and where it ended -- but at the same time, there's something about the flow of this paragraph that I have trouble grasping. Perhaps it's because it's the first time you fuse his thoughts with the events of his life or maybe it's that he's talking about earlier that day in brackets and then, when he leaves the brackets, he again mentions an event from earlier that day so there's no change in the subject and it feels out of beat. I don't know how to describe it entirely but I think one change that would help is changing the 'It was actually this morning that I picked up the phone...' to 'It was also this morning that I...' which would, I think, emphasise the stream of consciousness style and make the transition just a little easier. Or maybe rather than have the brackets, you could change the beginning to something like:

Every once in a while, I will rise in the morning and catch a glimpse of myself in the mirror, and I won't recognize myself, so maybe we don't even friend our own bodies. That happened this morning, actually. After it had stormed all night... and I pretended not to notice...'

Cinco:

It ends beautifully but the middle isn't great. I think your Narrator concentrates too strongly on the build up to what this phone-call brought, talking and talking of signs and how I wouldn't have answered it if I'd believed but then I would have eventually and... I just think that this paragraph needs to be more about raw emotion like quite a few of your later ones. This paragraph needs to concentrate on the substance of the phone-call rather than dodging around with what ifs and maybes. I think that your Narrator needs to show us a deeper part of his personality here.

Seis:

I'm not going to even attempt to find fault with this one because I simply love it. That awareness of the reader is such a clever trick and it flows beautifully.

Siete:

I have no criticism of this, or in fact praise but merely an observation: your narrator has so many beautiful, wonderful phrases when talking of the abstract world but when it comes to something real, suddenly his voice is almost ordinary, it's close to cliche talking of flickering lights, and just a little mundane. To one extent, I love the humanity it shows and yet, to the other, I miss the narrator's wit and his wonderful philosophies. I both love and hate this paragraph which leaves me completely neutral.

Ocho:

I cannot say that I believe your narrator's philosophy but then perhaps I am too young to have experience of such and it's beside the point. This is a pleasant paragraph with nothing that I either highly admire or detest. There is nothing wrong with that. It's a filler paragraph and we all need those.

Nueve:

Reader, you must know that in that pre-dawn twilight there was lightning in my stomach as I stood at the window and listened to the lowing train in the distance, the sound like an old dragon just awakening.

This direct response to the reader is quite strange. Parts of it I like and parts feel over-dramatic but I think the whole of it works quite well. The first sentence I disliked, it just felt too over-emotional and rather feminine, it felt too much like a line from Jayne Eyre. But the second half, his address of the reader as a male and his confession, feels very real and tangible and works perfectly.

I will pause here for the moment as I need to change and get ready for an event I'm apparently attending but I'll resume the review soon and have it completed before the end of tonight, hopefully. Meanwhile I hope you find this at least vaguely useful.
Writing Gooder

~Previously KittyKatSparklesExplosion15~

The light shines brightest in the darkest places.

If we choose, we can live in a world of comforting illusion.
— Noam Chomsky