z

Young Writers Society

The Scient Witch: Chapter 1, Part 1

15 Reviews

Reviews: 15
Fri Jun 06, 2008 4:59 pm
Spazztardchild says...

Yay! I changed it. But didn't change it. But did. :smt105 Basically rewrote it, so it is a little more friendly.

Let nothing go wrong today, for the Sisters are pickier than Nanny and they will choose one of the other girls to be their Apprentice in Training. The shame upon the name of my family would be too much to handle. Mama, I know you are watching me from the stars, keep me strong.

Lani was huddled in a corner of the Towemea Great Hall, home to the Towemea Sisters. Her nervousness was growing worse by the minute, looking at the strong faces of all the girls that crowded around her. Some were staring flat out at her, some were turning their haughty noses up; she looked like a simple farm girl, with her plain smock and lank black hair, whilst they wore the finest silks and stunk of money. They expect me to be weak. Or to be like Glendolina. I can't live up to their expectations, no matter what I do. I don't even know whether I am strong, compared to these other girls. How can I compete with their pedigree? Three women appeared from nowhere in the centre of the hall. Their imperial looks of almost disgust commanded even the most snotty of the potential Scients to silence their self-important mouths.

“We will call out names in a randomized order. You will go with Ginta and be assessed on your skills. The assessments will also be randomized, so some of you young ladies who are planning to swap hints, cannot cheat.” A death-glare was sent out to certain girls in the crowd, making them gulp. “Whilst an assessment is enduring, the rest of you will be detained in here, where you will entertain yourselves, whilst me and my sister, Chema, look over you.” The icy tone of Amelda suited her strict appearance; her robes were black with no embellishments, as the other two did and her structure was meticulously thin.

“The first name I would like to call out is: Lani Mayoin, from Tumblegreat. Please come this way, dear.” An unexpected homely tone of voice came from Ginta, smiling at Lani, who thought she was going to throw up any second. She felt the stares on her back, as she made her way through the throng of her peers and down the implausibly long Hall. “Have no fear. I can see, through your thick aura of nervousness, that you are very strong. You were trained well by Mildweather, no doubt.”

“N Nanny trained me to the limitations of her skills. I had to do most of the training, myself." She didn't know what to say, so concentrating on not throwing up her mind went blank. They reached a small door that Lani would have missed, if she hadn't nearly walked into Ginta, when she walked in front of her.

"The assessment starts now. In this room, I will tell you what to do, and then quite simply, you will do it." Ginta opened the door and stepped to the side to let Lani in.

The room was no bigger than 10 metres in length, with pock marked white walls and a set of awkward-looking wooden targets, hovering at a sedate pace over her head. Strangely, she felt herself calm; the butterflies and sick deflated. She already knew what to do, she just needed the word to start. This was the first exercise Nanny had shown her, back when she had only just mastered the art of summoning the magic. She began to smile.

--

“Son, I want you to be the one sent to the Towemea Sisters. I am proud of your progress in the arts of healing and alchemy, even more than any of your brothers. You have achieved so much and would do a lot better with the Sisters, where you can prove your worth of power outside of healing the little one's cut knees and Grannies' rheumatism.” The middle aged man, fat and balding, wheezed to his youngest son, with a proud smile on his pudgy face that spoke volumes of 'don't disappoint me' to him. The gaudy yellow of the jacket that he wore always made his son sick to the stomach. To him, his father was nothing but a moral-less greedy man, always ready to bend over to have piles of money sifting through his fat, greasy fingers. Bobinus, with his slight but strong build and penchant for wearing no other colour but black, always found that he wished his mother had never gone away with the Prince who wooed her away five years ago. Not that she was better than him, but she would never use his talents to gain money. She firmly believed in the arts being used to do good in the world, not for money.

“I am honoured Father, that you chose me. I will go and make the journey to Towemea when I have completed the set of phials I was working on. I promise to make you proud.” Bobinus didn't want to go. His dead tone and the loud exhalation of breath at the end of that sentence proved that to his father, who overlooked this and views his son as the money-making commodity as he was for him. To have a hero in the family, is to gain fame and when you do something as rare-to-come-by as the art of healing and substance manipulation well, you could say that that the gold purse increases thousandfold.

Bobinus could see the gold pieces shining in his eyes when he looked at him one last time and turned away from his Father and raced down the stairs, to the Laboratory that he called his home, within his home. “Good bye, Father.” His voice carried over his retreating shoulder.

The Laboratory was nothing but a basement, large and sparsely decorated, save for a rather large cupboard full of the materials of the trade, a meagre working table, covered with metal sheets and some very curious looking elegant bottles. The table was accompanied with a wooden bench that was worn in the shape of a bottom, from years of Bobinus practising the art of alchemy on seemingly endless sheets of metal and sacks full of sand, kindly lent to him from the Flayshinuas, who lived in the Desert land, Theomard.

This room was the reason he did not want to leave. He didn't want to leave all of his discoveries and his blatant flaunting of the minuscule reserves of magic he had, for he knew that as soon as he would be gone, his Father, Mr Moneymaker Aranigob would root about and make money off anything he found by selling it to the King. Or some rich merchant from Competyi or, even worse, from Seedelen. He hated only one thing more than his father, and that was the religion of Nash, that had caused more wars over the past few thousand years. He shuddered to think of the losses this fake 'King' had cost the world, particularly here in Candinia.

Opening the cupboard door, Bobinus grabbed the large black bag from the bottom shelf and carried to the table. Shoving some of the sheets of metal to the side, he placed that bag down and began hurriedly cramming all of the contents of the table into it, not caring if the phials were going to be broken by the metal. He raced over to the cupboard again but this time pushed out an entire shelf of phials that had herbs, sands, metals and liquids that he needed. They fell to the ground. No crash was heard because they floated upwards and very slowly, made their way for the bag. Wasting no time, Bobinus flashed over to a certain floor board, flicked it open with a clever stamp and grabbed as many of the papers that kept hidden there as he could. They went into the now bulging bag. The strings were pulled tightly to seal it and with a swing of arms, it was heaved upon his shoulders. Slamming the door closed with his foot, Bobinus hoped that his Father wasn't already loitering in the corridors to spy on his room.
Last edited by Spazztardchild on Tue Jun 17, 2008 1:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I'd give my right arm to be ambidextrous.
Graffito

It made me LOLums

12 Reviews

Reviews: 12
Sun Jun 15, 2008 5:14 pm
spaced_out says...

ok. I did not really understand it. but I'll try.

First make a new line when people are speaking.

Then, say who is speaking.

Then do not give us too much long winded dialog, it gets too stuffy.

After that I think that you should really chart where you want to go with this.

Then all you must do, is sit and write.
MATT
if you can dream YOU CAN DO IT!

582 Reviews

Reviews: 582
Mon Jun 16, 2008 1:42 pm
KJ says...

NITPICKS:

Some were staring flat out at her, some were turning their haughty noses up; she looked like a simple farm girl, with her plain smock and lank black hair, whilst they wore the finest silks and stunk of money.

This sentence feels too long, and it doesn't run smoothly. Here's a rough example of how I would do this: Some were staring at her unabashedly, and a few were turning their noses up haughtily. She knew it was because she had the appearence of a simple farm girl, what with her plain smock and lank, unadorned black hair. The women around her were attired quite differently; they wore the finest silks, all hair was done elaborately atop the head, and these women practically reeked of wealth.

A death-glare was sent out to certain girls in the crowd, making them gulp

Awkward wording. Here's my example of how I would reword this: She sent a withering glare out to certain girls in the group, and some of them gulped at the stern intent in the old woman's faded blue eyes.

“Whilst an assessment is enduring, the rest of you will be detained in here, where you will entertain yourselves, whilst me and my sister, Chema, look over you.”

One too many whilst so close together. Cut one and reword.

“The first name I would like to call out is: Lani Mayoin, from Tumblegreat.

The whole "name I would like to call out" doesn't seem to fit for me. I thought it made the wording feel awkward.

An unexpected homely tone of voice came from Ginta, smiling at Lani, who thought she was going to throw up any second.

Hate to sound like a broken record, but again, awkward. Here's my example: An unexpected kindness filled Ginta's voice, but Lani didn't respond; she was still attempting to hold back her breakfast.

“N Nanny trained me to the limitations of her skills. I had to do most of the training, myself." She didn't know what to say, so concentrating on not throwing up her mind went blank.

Odd wording once more. Also, for being so nervous and sick, she speaks very well. I would jumble that up a bit, make her actually sound nervous throughout. My example (mind you, these examples are just to give you an idea of what these could be like. I didn't pause to think, so yes, they are rough, as stated before): "M-my nanny t-trained me to the, uh, limitations of her skills... I had to learn m-most of it myself..." She didn't know what else to say, and she was embaressed at her stuttering, so she shut her mouth, concentrating fully on her rolling stomach.

The room was no bigger than 10 metres in length

This is just a thought, but this seems to be a sort of medieval setting, what with the arts and the sisters, etc. Would they measure in meters... or metres, or whatever you mean? For a piece like this, I would use arm spans or something else less modern. But again, just a thought.

She began to smile.

This felt out of place. She was so nervous, and she's about to be tested, and all of a sudden she's smiling? Perhaps tell the reader that her smile wobbles slightly, or something running along such lines. Just so it doesn't seem so out of the blue.

WATCH OUT FOR:

-Consistency. We've only had tiny glimpses of your characters at this point, but I kept feeling like they were changing. Ginta seemed this cranky stern old woman, but then she threw out the "dear" and was smiling. And then the whole thing with the girl losing her anxiety, etc. I don't know, it may be just me.

-Dialogue. There could be more, but what we've seen feels a little... dry? Again, I'm not quite sure. But it did feel off at times.

-Description. You need much more. I couldn't get an image of anything while I was reading.

GOOD JOB ON:

-Your beginning. As they go, this is a pretty nice one. Needs work, yes, but all in all, not bad. I was not bored, and that is always a plus.

-Pace. This piece has a very nice timing to it.

OVERALL IMPRESSION:

Basically given in Good Job.

Obsessing over what you regret won't get you anywhere.
— Steggy