z

Young Writers Society

The Human Side of Things (sept 2 - sept 7)

685 Reviews

Reviews: 685
Mon Apr 07, 2008 11:11 pm
Rei says...

If you haven't read the previous entries, here's the link.
topic27836.html

Tuesday, September 2, 2008

I’d like to know who came up with the word, “Frosh.” Maybe I’ll look it up when everything is set up and the Internet is plugged in. Dad is working on it right now.

One of Mom’s friends has a son who is taking engineering at the University of Toronto. Most of the universities have a whole Frosh Week. She told me that her was going to be painting himself purple this week with all the other engineering students. That is just plain weird.

Not sure what else the university students will have to do this week. During the last week of high school, everyone was going on about the kinds of things they would have to do, especially if they wanted to join a fraternity or something. Do they even those in this country? Fraternities always seemed like more of an American thing.

Frosh here had its own share of silliness, but it was only for today, sadly. Tomorrow I’ll have regular classes. There was this big garbage bin full of goop and coloured gold balls. What you had to do was stick your arm in the goop and pull out a golf ball. Each colour meant a different prize. I wasn’t brave enough to try. Didn’t ask what was in the goop either. At dinner, I heard one guy, Greg, paid a paramedic student ten dollars to go in head first. And he has the pictures on his digital camera to prove it.

That was all after lunch. Before lunch was orientation with the professors. The term they used to describe how this week would feel for us was “information over load.” Overloaded was definitely how I felt. We even share a lot of our classes with the social service workers (SSW). Who knew there was so much to being an EA?

9:00 p.m.

Just came down from watching TV. It’s amazing that the college managed to get such a nice flat screen. The DVD player is built in! I might had stayed up there longer, but one of the guys (I think his name is Peter) got out a game system and hooked it up. The games they started were about twenty years old. Okay, I admit, it is a little cute seeing them play those games, but it gets old fast. Besides, I’m certain that someone who came in a few minutes before I left was very drunk. That’s not something I’m interested in seeing.

Better take my contacts out. My eyes are starting to feel a little sore.
Well, I’ll be starting my regular classes tomorrow. Wonder what it will be like.

Wednesday, September 3, 2008

I just thought of something. With only two buildings and rez being inside one of them, we are really going to abuse it. I didn’t have to be in class until 10:30, so I went to have breakfast in the common room. At 8:15, there was someone there, in the clothes he slept in, eating breakfast. And his first class was at 8:30!

Two other people in there were still wearing their pyjamas. With only a few minutes before class. Said they didn’t feel like getting dressed, so they went to class just as they were. One of them was hung over, I’m sure. Her eyes were all red. Every day, I hear bottles clinking.

Anyway, today could not have been easier for my first day of regular classes. I was done before lunch. It could not have been more pointless, either. The professor seems a little clueless. She kept pronouncing names incorrectly, even after we told her how to pronounce it. I know Ciara isn’t as common as Amanda or Stephanie, but I didn’t think it was that unusual. My other professors have got to be better than this Penelope.

Thursday, September 4, 2008

Class was definitely better today, but it was also a very long day! I actually took a nap during the two hours between my morning and afternoon classes. There was an hour of developmental psychology, two hours of sociology, and then two hours on the professional standards of practice as an EA or SSW.

Who knows why that woman who teaches Wellness (my class yesterday) teaches long with the others in this program? All the teachers I had today have really worked in social services and education. Heck, my sociology professor says he still has a private counseling practice. He’s French, and very cute.

I did have a close call this morning, though. Internet games can really make you lose track of time, so I went to sleep later than I should have. Didn’t get out of bed until 8:10 and psych started at 8:30. There almost wasn’t enough time to put my lenses in.

I’m making friends here, real friends who I think I can trust. With most things, at least. Today I had lunch with a few of the other EA’s, and I eat most of my other meals in the common room with the other residents. It’s only been a few days, but I can’t think of a time when I’ve been happier. There is no way my life can stay this way if they see my real eyes. It’s too much of a risk. Being accepted feels too good.

Friday, September 5, 2008

Today was almost as easy as Wednesday, but not nearly as pointless. In a normal week, I would have a one-hour seminar and then two hours of communications, but since it’s only our first week, there wasn’t much to have a seminar on. We’ll do one next week, though. Communications is just about the types of writing we’ll have to do as a job. Shouldn’t be too hard, but it’s important stuff. I know I can write.

There is one thing, though. I’m starting to feel bad about lying to everyone. For the most part, I’m an honest person. It’s just that there are things about myself that I don’t want people to know about me. The problem is, how can I really get close to anyone if I’m not honest with them?

Saturday, September 6, 2008

By the end of the day, I’ll have spent a full week away from Toronto. It’s always amazed me how much can happen in such a short period of time, or how quickly things can change. Even though it’s only been a week, I really feel at home here in a lot of ways.

It’s not easy, though. Tuesday was only the beginning of the information overload. Every day, I’ve had new classes to go to. In each of them, the professors had so many hand-outs that my binders are bursting. The course outlines are more like novels than outlines. Not to mention the class notes that I had to buy today. It’s a good thing most of the textbooks aren’t mandatory. Heck, the profs for soc and pysch said we couls just do the reading for each topic on line.

At least Penelope is the only clueless one. The other four are fantastic! They really know what they’re doing, which is why they don’t just teach out of a textbook. Some of the second year EA’s had lunch with us first years yesterday. They don’t know why she still has a job in the program.
Someone is at the door. Damn it. I haven’t put my contacts in yet.

Later

The person at the door was someone who has a room on the second floor. Her name is Diana. She came to invite me to a movie tonight. She already has a big group going. Of course I said yes. They don’t know I different, so there’s no reason for them to not want me around. As unbelievable as it would have been a few months ago, maybe I really can stick to life on the human side of things.

Time for supper. Afterwards, we’re all meeting in the common room to walk to the theatre. It’s only a few blocks away.

Sunday, September 7, 2008

Movie last night was great. I think I’ve decided that my favourite part about being on my own is that Mom isn’t around to watch my every move. All though high school, Mom always expected me to come home right after the movie. I had no real curfew because movies always start and end at different times. Last night, though, we all went to get coffee when the movie let out.

There’s a twenty-four hour coffee shop across the street from the theatre, so we could stay out as long as we wanted. I wonder if the people who work the night shift normally see such a large group at one time. They did look just a little flustered when fifteen of us came in at once.

Not having my mom tell me when to come home is fine, but I’m realizing that it also means not having her around to help me either. Today was the first time I had to do the grocery shopping by myself! And Mom can’t help me do the laundry anymore either. That basket is heavy! I’ll have to start collecting quarters and loonies to make sure I always have what I need, too.

I know it’s hard, living without parents and only being around normal humans. When I finished high school, though, I swore I would stay on the human side of things. I’m not going back to that other place.
Please, sit down before you fall down.
Belloq, "Raiders of the Lost Ark"

685 Reviews

Wed Apr 09, 2008 10:10 pm
Rei says...

pweez comment :(

565 Reviews

Reviews: 565
Fri Apr 11, 2008 9:03 pm
Stori says...

Little confused by the college terms, but otherwise I think it's great.

All though high school, Mom always expected me to come home right after the movie. I had no real curfew because movies always start and end at different times.

You might want to place a "though" or "but" between those sentences. Sorry I can't remember the grammatical term off-hand.
"The one thing you can't trade for your heart's desire is your heart."
Miles Vorkosigan

"You can be an author if you learn to paint pictures with words."
Brian Jacques

685 Reviews

Sat Apr 12, 2008 3:04 pm
Rei says...

Anything in particular you liked, or thoughts on how I could make certain terms more understood?

571 Reviews

Reviews: 571
Sun May 25, 2008 3:37 pm
Esmé says...

Rei,

It seems that again we have the same problem. The piece is well written, though a few nitpicks will be listed, but it just doesn’t draw the reader in. It may have caught my attention, yes, but did it claim it and swallow it? No. How that can be cured will be said after the nitpicks, since that is a habit I cannot fight.

Quote:
I’d like to know who came up with the word, “Frosh.”

No comma.

Quote:
She told me that her was going to be painting himself purple this week with all the other engineering students.

“her”?

Quote:
At dinner, I heard one guy, Greg

That.

Quote:
The term they used to describe how this week would feel for us was “information over load.”

Feel for us - awkward.

Quote:
We even share a lot of our classes with the social service workers (SSW).

Sure that isn’t supposed to be capitalized? I’m not, and so I’m asking.

Quote:
Two other people in there were still wearing their pyjamas. With only a few minutes before class.

Merge.

Quote:
Didn’t get out of bed until 8:10 and psych started at 8:30.

That is a lot of time. Speaking from experience.

I’m making friends here, real friends who I think I can trust.

“who I think I can trust” - that’d interest me more than a couple sentences on this or that.

Quote:
Today was almost as easy as Wednesday, but not nearly as pointless.

Shall be expanded by me.

Quote:
There is one thing, though. I’m starting to feel bad about lying to everyone. For the most part, I’m an honest person. It’s just that there are things about myself that I don’t want people to know about me. The problem is, how can I really get close to anyone if I’m not honest with them?

I’d like to care, but I don’t. Shall also be explained below the other nitpicks.

Quote:
Heck, the profs for soc and pysch said we couls just do the reading for each topic on line.

Couls?

Quote:
They did look just a little flustered when fifteen of us came in at once.

Heh.

Quote:
Not having my mom tell me when to come home is fine, but I’m realizing that it also means not having her around to help me either

Comma before: either.

Okay, so I felt his outrage at some points. But that was all. Other than that - it was a description of his life, which - quite ironic, yes? - would be good I a journal. But only in a journal for his eyes, or perhaps the drawer in which it is hidden.

Also, another problem. It’s the actions - world - that she’s describing (and no, I don’t know where that is leading me) but what of herself? She (really, that was an assumption (a professor was deemed cute), right? Does “she” have a name? Because even if it was stated in the previous part, then I don’t’ recall it. I’d like to see it here. ‘course, she has weird eyes, but that is all.

This once again seems like a continuation of that already long intro. Nothing happens. The MC starts feeling a bit guilty about lying - about her eyes, yes? And pressure was put on the contacts, yes.

-> Guilt. Why should I care? Because I have been introduced to the ones she “thinks she can trust”? Most certainly not (only Diana, and that was what, one paragraph)? Because I see an inner conflict? No. It’s not about the MC. It’s about what is happening around her, and that is not good.

Scrap the intro. This (most) could have been told in a few paragraphs, half a page. In one entry, without splitting the times. I see that you are dedicated, and I know - and you should, too - that your writing is very good technically, but content-wise?

It was dreary. It did not keep my attention. Well-written and all, but dull. The only thing that I liked was the ending. That should say, after the rest - what came before - is shortened. Because really, is that all so important? Do we really want to know all that is being told? Isn’t that one big info dump? Is it needed, necessary? Does it impact me in any way?

It doesn’t. It’s just there.

You’re hinting at something that is not normal. At the crux. But it’s circles, as if your afraid to rush it. Well, I’ll tell you something. It’s quite the opposite, and of that you should be scared. Don’t circle. Rush. GET TO THE POINT. Make me her. Spill the beans. Not everything, but tell something. What you are giving us now is water, slipping through the readers fingers.

-> So, cut. Cut the pointless info that adds up to nothing.

-> Be brief(er) in the details that do not, but don’t entirely take them. Leave some. We need to know what is going on, but we don’t necessarily want to know everything.

-> Get to the point of the story, show us a plot.

-> Focus more on the MC, instead of only the world around her.

Make it a journal that is not only for the writer’s enjoyment, or to bring relief to him or her, but remember that there will be reader who will read it, and that it is not to be locked up in a drawer. Give it some LIFE.

Cheers,
Esme

Everything’s edible if you’re immortal.
— Feltrix