z

Young Writers Society

Alphess: part one [revised as of 2008/03/11]

602 Reviews

Reviews: 602
Sun Feb 17, 2008 9:48 pm
Wolf says...

When reviewing, please keep in mind that this is only an excerpt. Some things may seem unclear, but that is [mostly] because this is from the middle of the story.

This is my entry for Azila's POV contest, so please crit! And I would really appreciate it if you could answer the questions at the bottom after. :)

------

I've made a slight edit; hopefully there's an improvement. I struggle with characterization, so any tips on that (and it would be great if you could point out areas where I could develop Blizzard's personality more) are really appreciated. In fact, anyone who does that can expect a critique from yours truly.

Alphess - Part 1

The first shadows of dusk claw their way across the ground, forming a maze of light and shadows on the forest floor. I watch the crimson luminescence filter through the trees in a state of calm rapture; the solitude and serenity here are a blissful refuge from my sullen, quarreling pack.

The sun sinks ever lower. Soft, sparkling rays emanate from it, bathing the dark trunks of the surrounding maple trees in a red glow. It is a fiery scarlet eye cradled between the two hills that slope down from the forest where I rest now.

My pelt begins to prickle, but I do not move; my limbs are heavy with warmth, and I want to enjoy the sunset for a while longer. Here, there are no snapping teeth, no wild eyes glittering with malice. It seems strange that I would enjoy the sunset -- midnight is a time much more to my liking -- but today, I take the time to relax away from the pack.

The dusty earth beneath me is dry and powdery and the sleepy summer heat of it seeps in through the pads of my paws. Motes of dust dance in the shafts of light that slant in through the branches above me. I breathe in deeply and take in a heady combination of white-tailed deer, dry bracken, maple sugar, leaf mould...

"Blizzard?"
A familiar, drifting voice jolts me from my calm observations. My jaws part as the pack mage, Aurora, trots towards me, her agile form reduced to a shadow from the glare. I smelt her just as she appeared.

"Yes?" I reply, and rise to my paws. I shake leaves from my pelt and step forwards towards the she-wolf.

She looks nervous; her ears are flattened, and she shuffles her paws in the leaf mould. The first prickling of anxiety dances down my spine. "Laurel reported strange scents near the border... the border with Heather Pack."

The last traces of contentment leave my body. A snarl tears from between my teeth. The sun -- which only a short while ago had felt warm and soothing between my shoulder blades -- now seems ominous as it sinks beneath the hills. Come nightfall, Bane could be on my land. Aggression knots my muscles; Bane - the Heather Pack Alpha - and I go way back. But that is another story.

A gentle breeze sweeps through the forest, ruffling Aurora's coarse black fur. She swings her head around, nostrils flaring to catch the scents blown up from the valley. A moment later, she presses her ears against her head and growls from deep in her chest.

I incline my head towards the hills. "Shall we?"

She gives me the slightest of nods and we run off into the sunset.

Power surges through me as I lope down the grassy hillside, tongue lolling between my razor-sharp teeth. My paws press down on the springy grass and I can feel the cool evening air caressing my face.

We rise over another slope, gathering speed. Adrenaline, a feeling so light it is almost painful, unfurls inside me. And then --

The pack stands before us. I catch the flash of wary eyes, the bristling of pelts, the split-second gleam of bared fangs. But I do not even need to observe their body language to know of their feelings; the heavy reek of anxiety and fear is thick in the air. Many of the wolves turn to acknowledge me respectfully, dipping their heads and bringing their tails close to their bellies.

Behind the group, jagged black pine trees encroach on the clearing. The moon has not yet risen -- it is dusk, the space between night and day. The sky above is eerily white, like a stretch of snow.

I lift my head and trot over to them. My eyes seek one wolf in particular: Blackthorn, my mate. But I do not see him in the crowd -- Perhaps he is hunting? Aurora nods to me and flits over to her apprentice, Rowan.

"May I have a word, Blizzard?" I turn to see Laurel, a she-wolf whose pups have just left the nursing den. I nod, and she dips her head respectfully before coming to stand by my side.

"I have news, bad news. Bane and his followers are now on Starlight Pack lands."

I grow cold at her words; an icy fear washes over me like ice creeping over stone. What has my pack done to draw his attention? Shivering despite the heat of the sultry summer evening, I push the thought away and lift my tail.

"Then we will go and confront him."

The pack flows over a rise in a river of sleek pelts and glittering eyes. I like it the best when we run this way -- as one, each wolf perfectly synchronized with the rest. We are completely silent.

Suddenly, the lake looms in front of us, a glass-like black surface undisturbed by even the smallest ripple. Poppies dip their crimson heads around the shoreline of dark mud.

This is the lake where I met Bane as a pup of nine moons. This is the lake where my son was killed by Heather wolves.
This is the lake where I will have my revenge, if all goes well. If.

"Laurel, Sequoia, Jade," I call, glancing in the direction of two scouts and my daughter. "Skirt the western side of the lake and look for signs."

They dip their heads and brush by me, heading towards the water. As Jade -- my daughter -- passes, I see a small glitter of panic in her eyes. My heart clenches for her; the pack is strong, but the Heather wolves know thing that we do not. Some say that Bane ate a human heart so that he might know the thoughts of man. A growl of anger rumbles in my throat. The rumour, most likely, is not true, though I am sure that Bane would find a way to twist it to his advantage. That is what he does, after all: he feeds on fear, lets wolves believe what they want.

I am interrupted from my thoughts as my mate speaks close to my ear, "Do you want me to take some wolves around the Eastern side?" His breath tickles my cheek. I lean into his shoulder, enjoying the feeling of his warm, soft fur against mine.

"I'll come with you," I murmur. I tell myself that this it is because Bane is more likely to be on the eastern side and that my mate might need my help, but I know that it is because I could not bear it if he were to injure himself.

We lope around to the fringe of the pack, where my beta is speaking to some younger wolves. He postures authoritatively: chest out, ears back, head raised. I watch with amusement as Zeta, a female of six moons, whines and mutters an apology. She is always causing trouble, even in the face of danger.

My beta shifts stances quickly as he sees us. "Blizzard, Blackthorn," he acknowledges us in the respectful manner of a beta to the alpha wolves.

"Takura," Blackthorn greets him with an affectionate nudge to the shoulder.

I dip my head courteously and ask, "Would you mind keeping an eye on the pack for a while? Blackthorn and I are going to patrol the eastern side of the lake."

"Of course not," he rumbles. "It would be an honour."

We give him our thanks and set off towards the water, but are interrupted as three whirlwinds of fur crash into us.

"Mother! Father!" Kesha, the runt of the litter, exclaims, her dark eyes shining like the surface of the lake.

A smile parts my jaws despite the situation. "Kesha, Tigerlily, Clover," I greet them, rasping my tongue over Tigerlily's ears. The other two tumble over each other in their haste to reach Blackthorn. But when he turns to face me, his amber eyes are dark. Our children are so innocent -- how could they possibly understand the depth of the problem? Their brother, Oak, from my first litter, was slaughtered here before they were born.

Blackthorn breaks the ice for me. "Your mother and I are going around the lake," he begins.

I finish for him, "How about you go and play with Rowan for a while? Ask her to teach you some mage-work."

Clover's black eyes shine with excitement. "Okay!" he exclaims, and they run off.

A chill wind picks up, bending the poppies and brushing our fur to a silky shine. I dig my claws into the earth and press forwards, slitting my eyes. A glance to my side tells me that Blackthorn is doing the same.

From up ahead, a howl shivers through the air. I stop suddenly and crouch down, hackles bristling. Silence floats down like snow, muffling all sound.

I feel the slight vibrations of paw-steps through the earth. Dread creeps stealthily over me. Blackthorn stiffens, drawing his lips back in a snarl.

I know who it is before he appears, but when he does, terror hits me like a blow from a grizzly's paw.

Bane stands on the rise above us, his oily black fur shining with moonlight.
"Blizzard," he intones calmly. His voice is cold and flat, like ice. "It has been too long."

I lift my head. I am an Alphess. I am not afraid.
But I am.

His gaze burns me. His eyes are the same as I remember: a bottomless, moon-ish green -

And suddenly you are nine moons old again, facing the Heather Pack Alpha for the first time. Your breath chafes in your chest and your limbs shake with fatigue.
Bane and his wolves are shifting silhouettes, the edges of their bodies blurring and tearing with the wind. But his eyes are clear and hard, two glaring emerald slashes against his dark, indistinct face.

"What do you want?" you cry miserably.

"What do I want?" Bane laughs. His teeth snap and shine, strangely solid in contrast to his streaming figure. His followers whisper in high, thin voices, "What do
you want?" You wonder about this, eyes clouding with uncertainty. Surely, Bane would not offer you whatever you want -- your mother told you he was evil, after all. Your mother...

"I want... I want tonight to have never happened!"

He doesn't answer. Time stretches. It is impossible to read his expression, but you think he looks deep in thought. A small flower of hope blooms in your chest. Could he really erase the past?

When he speaks, that flower withers and dies. "I see the blood on your face, Blizzard," - then, in a whisper of mock despair, "You killed your mother!"

You wince and take a step back. Poppies brush against your legs. You can feel your mother's blood drying on your face, forming a stiff mask. A mask of deceit, a mask of cruelty, a mask of despair.
You whip around, face distorted in feral rage.

"I can offer you with a choice, Blizzard. You have already -" he lets the sentence hang.

Once again, indecision creeps into your mind. You have nowhere to go, no pack to take care of you. Bane is strong. He can teach you things... your mother's words sound in your mind, as soft as dew-beaded flower petals: "Do not trust him, Blizzard. He will consume you. There is no goodness in his heart."

"I don't know!" you wail, tearing up grass with your claws.

He lets out a harsh bark of laughter and steps forwards, menace etching hard lines in the set of his jaw, the way his ears ram forwards.
It is the same. You are here again, with the red, red poppies and the beautiful stars...

"Blizzard!
An urgent voice jolts me back to the present. I feel Blackthorn's nose on my cheek, and I open my eyes to see him gazing anxiously back at me. At first, I am disoriented, but then I tilt my head and see the stars swirling in the sky above me, the skyline of poppies. I stagger to my paws, leaning heavily on my mate's shoulder.

"Bane -- is he still here?" I croak. A twinge of embarrassment prickles inside me; I am an Alphess. I should not have to rely on others all the time.

"Of course I am," the Heather pack alpha replies coldly. Pride forces me not to flinch away from his icy tone; clearly, he has been remembering our first meeting also.

I take a moment to relax. If I am to confront him, I will need all my strength. I shake my fur as if to dislodge water after a rain. But I am removing something else now; memories spin away like droplets of water, each one a crystal-clear snapshot of the past.

"If you have come to convince me to return to your pack," I spit, "then do not waste your breath."

He doesn't even look mildly taken aback -- I wonder if he expected this. "Very well," he says placidly, "then we will have to play a little game."

The fur on my shoulders bristles. Bane is known for his games. "What kind of game?"

He flashes his teeth in a smile. "Hide-and-seek."

I know that he does not mean the kind of hide-and-seek that pups play. He means something more dangerous -- we will enter the spirit world, the world used for mage-work, and search for souls. Our own souls. And if we do not find them...

I turn to Blackthorn and give him a lick on the cheek. "Guard my body, please," I murmur, and sink into the bed of poppies. I ache to open my eyes again, but the anguish in Blackthorn's would be too much to bear.

Waves of emotion crash and roll inside me, but I suppress them under a smothering blanket of calm. I think of blankness, of indifference - the image of the dusk sky comes to mind: as white and unblemished as snow. Soon, I feel my soul begin to drift...

The spirit world shimmers into view before me. Bane crouches low in the crimson darkness, waiting.

-------------------------------------------------------------------

Yes, I know it needs a lot of work.

QUESTIONS:
1: Does the second person work for Blizzard's flashback?
2: Do you find that the first tense is distracting?
3: Could you picture the events clearly in your mind's eye?

Thank-you!
Last edited by Wolf on Sat Mar 15, 2008 4:13 pm, edited 6 times in total.
everything i loved
became everything i lost.

Would you like a review?
http://www.youngwriterssociety.com/topic73903.html

119 Reviews

Reviews: 119
Sun Feb 17, 2008 10:36 pm
SimonCowellLuver says...

I like it fiorst off thank you for making it easy to read because some stories are really hard to read because there are no spaces in between paragraphs. Also because it isn't emo or cliche. That is why i like it. I am finally reading something that isn't Emo or cliche which i hate the most. Gah! I hate cliche's. Do you? They are very annoying AFTER Awhile.

Well I have nothing to crtique here, Just becareful on grammar there are few grammar mistakes here and there but not very important. GG

TTYL SimonCowellLuver/Gothgirl01 :)
3 facts: 1.You can't lick your elbow
2. you just tried it
3. I caught you cause i saw you

126 Reviews

Reviews: 126
Sun Feb 17, 2008 11:02 pm
Blue Fairy says...

I really loved reading this. you describe everything excellently and you bring the animals to life.

I'll answer your questions first :D

1. I think the second person does work

2. I find the first tense intersting

3. yes I could picture everything clearly

I couldn't find many things that could be improved and there is only a few grammer mistakes.

.I shake my fur as if to dislodge water after a rain

do you mean the instead of 'a'?

I had smelled her just as she appeared.

I think it's smelt.

other then that it was great.
you used very pretty names :D

good look with the contest

~Fairy
Formely known as Fairy_twinkletoes_13

Grab a pogo stick and come and....pogo with me!

Brains first, then hard work. That's the way to build a house- Eeyore

602 Reviews

Mon Feb 18, 2008 12:07 am
Wolf says...

GG >> Thanks! Clichés are very annoying. :wink:

Fairy >> :D I'll fix those things right away! I really appreciate your review.

Yay! I love YWS - two reviews already!

Thanks,
Camille
everything i loved

Would you like a review?

565 Reviews

Reviews: 565
Mon Feb 18, 2008 12:29 am
Stori says...

Hey, Ayra. First off, let me say I liked this. And second, I notice all the alphas' names begin with B. Was that intentional?
"The one thing you can't trade for your heart's desire is your heart."
Miles Vorkosigan

"You can be an author if you learn to paint pictures with words."
Brian Jacques

135 Reviews

Reviews: 135
Mon Feb 18, 2008 12:35 am
shanan-cat says...

Camille! When did you get time to do this?
It was amazing! I have nothing wrong with it.
shanan-cat!
"Laugh like no one can hear you, dance like no one is watching, and love like you're going to doe tomorrow." --Unknown

602 Reviews

Mon Feb 18, 2008 12:37 am
Wolf says...

Thanks you guys!

Kyte >> Yes, it was intentional. =)
shanan >> Haha, thank-you. I did it... erm, during math class. XD

- Camille
everything i loved

Would you like a review?

135 Reviews

Reviews: 135
Mon Feb 18, 2008 1:16 am
shanan-cat says...

Camille! During math? Why did I never get to read it?
And the answer to all your questions are "yes".
I think that it has a lot if originality to it, although you did steal it from some person (can't remember their name).
There's a lot of spacing wich is essential and I like the way you put a lot of detail to it. It enlightens the story gives it more splash.
Why do you say it isn't good?
It was great! :lol:
Hope you go on more often, o.k?
shanan-cat to Igor-tab! :lol:
"Laugh like no one can hear you, dance like no one is watching, and love like you're going to doe tomorrow." --Unknown

602 Reviews

Mon Feb 18, 2008 1:18 am
Wolf says...

I stole it from someone? Umm... no, I don't think I did. I didn't take this idea, characters, plot, setting etc from anyone else. What do you mean?
everything i loved

Would you like a review?

922 Reviews

Reviews: 922
Mon Feb 18, 2008 1:35 am
GryphonFledgling says...

1: Does the second person work for Blizzard's flashback?

Yes. It was interesting to read a flashback in second person. I have never seen that done before. Really neat idea.

2: Do you find that the first tense is distracting?

Actually, I didn't even realize that it was in present tense until you said something. So, no, this isn't distracting at all.

3: Could you picture the events clearly in your mind's eye?

Yes. You did a masterful job.

Really great read. It reminds me a great deal of the games my best friend and I used to play when we were younger, where we were wolves and there were pack rivalries and everything. It brings back some great memories. So thanks for that.

Nice job. Your descriptions were great. You handled the antho wolves well, without making them too human.

Good luck in the contest!

~GryphonFledgling
I am reminded of the babe by you.

602 Reviews

Mon Feb 18, 2008 7:48 pm
Wolf says...

Thanks Gryph!

I'm glad that the second person works. :)

- Camille
everything i loved

Would you like a review?

370 Reviews

Reviews: 370
Mon Feb 18, 2008 8:44 pm
Aedomir says...

Hey! Nice to see a bit more descriptive fantasy (I love descriptive scenes!). The first paragraph I thought was really well presented. In fact I also loved it in the second... and the third... and the fourth actually! Come to think of it, ther was barey anthing I disliked. You made a really good scene without going overboard and I think this was a very good job here.

Hm... I see you like wolves more than I thought you did! :-D

Nah, this is great I really liked it. The only trouble, is that its a bit cliche when it comes to wolves, try another animal (for once!) or if you are truly devoted to wolves, put another view on it, if you get what I mean.

Keep Writing!

~D'Aedomir~
We are all Sociopaths: The Prologue

Sociopath: So • ci • o • path noun
1. Someone who believes their behaviour is right.
2. Human.

602 Reviews

Mon Feb 18, 2008 11:36 pm
Wolf says...

Thanks Aedomir!

I do see what you mean about it being cliché. >.< I'm not sure what to do about it, though.

Anyways. Do you think I should continue this? It is Part One, after all. (Blizzard is a character in my larger novel - this is just a novella that I've decided to write about her.)

Cheers,
Camille
everything i loved

Would you like a review?

672 Reviews

Reviews: 672
Tue Feb 19, 2008 10:49 am
Squall says...

Hello Camille. I bet Gwen did told you that I'm going to review this. She was right :D Prepare yourself thy mortal, this is a critique served extra hot from the fires of heck :twisted:

The first shadows of dusk claw their way across the ground, forming a maze of light and shadows on the forest floor. I watch the crimson luminescence filter through the trees in a state of calm rapture; the solitude and serenity here are a blissful refuge from my bitter, quarreling pack.

This is good imagery and right off the bat too. I liked the level of depth here in the imagery, though I was a bit stuck on "calm rapture" and had to reread it a few times to understand it's meaning. I think it's because it's a bit vague in a way, but meh this is just a nitpick so don't worry.

This is the lake where I met Bane as a pup of nine moons. This is the lake where my son was killed by Heather wolves.
This is the lake where I will have my revenge.

I find the following sentences a cliche. How many fantasies have you read/watched where a character's loved one ( or relative) gets killed and seeks revenge?

I take a moment to relax. If I am to confront him, I will need all my strength. I shake my fur as if to dislodge water after a rain. But I am dislodging something else now; memories spin away like droplets of water, each one a crystal-clear snapshot of the past.

Love the description. It's only the repetition of "dislodge" that threw me off here.

My pelt begins to prickle, but I do not move. My limbs are heavy with warmth, and I want to enjoy the sunset for a while longer.

Why did she wanted to enjoy the sunset more? This could actually be an important place to develop your character further.

Overall impressions:

Merit points for this piece would be awarded to your descriptions, grammar and spelling.

It's pretty obvious as to why I should acknowledge you for your descriptions. The way that it is written captures the reader's attention and it really rivets the reader along. Part of that is probably the compelling senses it holds as well as the way it is nicely structured and holds quite a bit of depth. Your grammar and spelling is very good. I don't think I've spotted a single grammar and spelling mistake so kudos to you. If what you need to work on for your descriptions, I suggest using the technique of extended metaphor for this piece, as it would had the writing more in-depth. I'll explain the extended metaphor point below.

Now for the bad things. Two major points. 1. Characters 2. The plot/ ideas themselves.

1. Characters on the framework level are alright. I like the characters at this level (Blizzard as the name of your main character wolf reminds me of some kind of digimon/ pokemon fantasy creature which is a good thing, since I like that kind of stuff ) and I think it holds potential. However, when it comes to fleshing out your characters, this is where you have problems with.

The most obvious to start with would be Blizzard herself. Well I didn't get a really good sense of who Blizzard, other than the things which were stated in the piece. I know that she is a wolf, I know that she is part of a pack, I know that she is enemies with a wolf named Bane etc etc. Yes, you have defined a character, but you failed to actually carry it beyond the text. In other words, you didn't make the reader think about Blizzard further than what's written in the text. This is due to a lack of further character development.

For example:

My pelt begins to prickle, but I do not move. My limbs are heavy with warmth, and I want to enjoy the sunset for a while longer.

I know that I've already quoted this before but I want to repeat myself. This could actually be a good place to develop Blizzard further, but you just left it there and fail to capture the true essence of such a sentence. Why did Blizzard wanted to enjoy the sunset further? I wanted to know, but you didn't incorporate her character into the story as strongly as I would had hoped.

This is the lake where I will have my revenge.

I've already stated that this is a cliche and why. This seemed to be one of the major factors that dictates Blizzard's actions, but you didn't really elaborate on this further. Cliches are cliches on the framework level, but they can't be cliches if you take the idea and develop it further in your own way, making the idea yours. This is rather vague, and I fail to see how Blizzard's son's death was that shocking to her. Why would Blizzard want revenge anyways? Just saying because her son got pwned is not good enough. Why did Blizzard loved her son so much that she would be willing to seek revenge against those that was responsible for the crime?

I'll give you one more example:

And suddenly you are nine moons old again, facing the Heather Pack Alpha for the first time. Your breath chafes in your chest and your limbs shake with fatigue.
Bane and his wolves are shifting silhouettes; the edges of their bodies seem to blur and tear with the wind. But his eyes are clear and hard, two glaring emerald slashes against his dark, indistinct face.

"What do you want?" you cry miserably.

"What do I want?" Bane laughs. His teeth snap and shine, strangely solid in contrast to his streaming figure. His followers whisper in high, thin voices, "What do you want?"

"I want... I want tonight to have never happened!"

He doesn't answer. Time stretches. It is impossible to read his expression, but you think he looks deep in thought. A small flower of hope blooms in your chest. Could he really erase the past?

When he speaks, that flower withers and dies. "I see the blood on your face, Blizzard," - then, in a whisper of mock despair, "You killed your mother!"

You wince and take a step back. Poppies brush against your legs. You can feel your mother's blood drying on your face, forming a stiff mask. A mask of deceit, a mask of cruelty, a mask of despair.
You whip around, face distorted in feral rage.

"I can offer you with a choice, Blizzard. You have already -"

"No!" you cut him off furiously. He lets out a harsh bark of laughter and steps forwards, menace etched in hard lines in the set of his jaw, the way his ears ram forwards.

It is the same. You are here again, with the red, red poppies and the beautiful stars...

Ok, the following is the scene where Blizzard dukes it off with Bane...and to be honest, I just can't see the motivations as to why they were enemies. All this scene did really was trigger some flashback from Blizzard, and even the flash back didn't explain much of the Blizzard VS Bane affair. It only showed what happened, but what is the point of showing the past if we can't relate to it in the mind? I mean why would Bane and his gang would be after her in the first place? Why did she not want to erase this event from her memory? What was the point of Blizzard asking Bane " What do you want"? and Bane replying with "What do you want"? These questions may seem obvious, but when you actually answer them yourself and work it with the plot, you will find yourself that it makes your characters more in-depth and leet. Eventually, you will find out some more in-depth motivations and explanations as to why characters would act/think the way they do. As for the character's dialogue, I can sum it up in two words: Captain Obvious.

My second point is the plot. When I finished reading this, I had to reread it to actually figure out the central plot of this. I noticed that the plot is actually revealed half way to the story, which is too dang slow for me ( and to a number of readers). The story takes too long to get to the point, and when it does, there isn't even much of it to think about. You could had cut out so much junk in this piece, such as Blizzard's pack ( you don't need them, their contribution to the central plot is immaterial ). You focused so much on Blizzard's pack and society that it wasn't really relevant. The plot is ultimately revolved around Blizzard VS Bane, and not on other useless things. I want to care for Blizzard, I really do, but you don't focus on Blizzard and Bane as much as I had hoped...

If you are planning on rewriting this (which I hope you do), I suggest that you focus more on Blizzard, the conflict between Blizzard and Bane, and also this:

I know that he does not mean the kind of hide-and-seek that pups play. He means something more dangerous - we will enter the spirit world, the world used for mage-work, and search for souls. Our own souls.

I'm quite interested with this. Can you actually work this gaia concept with the fantasy in the rewrite? It would provide a much more insight into your characters and how they think/act, not to mention that I would feel much more compelled with your story from all of its intrigue.

Overall? I thought it was ok. I almost liked it, but it fell short on ideas/ characters not being as fleshed out and in-depth as it should had, and the plot itself riddled with mostly waffle.

Andy.

P.S: Have you ever heard of a technical term called "extended metaphor"? I actually suggest that you should experiment it with your writing, as your style seems to suit it. Basically, an extended metaphor is a comparison between two things, but it is continued beyond the first point of comparison. Research the term and study up on some examples. If you need help feel free to PM me Camille.
"To the edge of the universe and back. Endure and survive."

602 Reviews

Tue Feb 19, 2008 8:57 pm
Wolf says...

*glomps*
Thanks so much, Andy! That was a really helpful critique. :)

If you are planning on rewriting this (which I hope you do), I suggest that you focus more on Blizzard, the conflict between Blizzard and Bane, and also this:

Quote:
I know that he does not mean the kind of hide-and-seek that pups play. He means something more dangerous - we will enter the spirit world, the world used for mage-work, and search for souls. Our own souls.

I'm quite interested with this. Can you actually work this gaia concept with the fantasy in the rewrite? It would provide a much more insight into your characters and how they think/act, not to mention that I would feel much more compelled with your story from all of its intrigue.

I'm glad you liked that idea, and I am planning to re-write this. I will hopefully be adding more characterization and more explanation of the conflict between Blizzard and Bane - I'll PM you when I post it, if you want.

Anyways, thanks! I was hoping that you would review this... which reminds me, if there's anything of yours that you'd like me to crit, let me know.

Cheers,
Camille
everything i loved

Would you like a review?

"Don't tell me the sky's the limit when there are footprints on the moon."
— Paul Brandt