z

Young Writers Society

Deepest's Tale Part i

1125 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 1125
Thu Feb 14, 2008 4:14 pm
StellaThomas says...

AN: Read this first: This is a retelling of the real little Mermaid (ie. the one where she kills herself in the end). The thing is, I've had this in my head and bits written down for years now, from Frieda's point of view. I thought, just to keep it at my fingertips, I'd try Deepest's PoV. I ended up quite liking it. This is the result, or at least, the first part of the result.

Deepest's Tale

Daddy can be so mean sometimes.

So we’re sitting at dinner, the ten of us together, and he’s talking about something or another. Probably seahorse racing, or the dolphin rebellions or something.

Azure and Violet sit either side of him. Then Sapphire and Turquoise, then Jade and Emerald, then Light and Night. I sit at the very end, facing Father. How I can’t wait until Azure gets married, then we can all move and I can be next to Night.

But still, we’re sitting there, with oysters in front of us and Daddy is talking. Azure and Violet are sucking up to him and smiling and laughing. Sapphire and Jade are sitting together plotting, while their respective twins sit on the other side, the perfect ladies.

We all look different. My nurse maid said that a mermaid’s hair and tail showed what part of the sea they were meant for.

Azure is completely average, with seaweed red hair that’s so common, and a green tail. Green tails mean you’re middle sea. Jade, Emerald and Light all have green tails, except jade and Emerald have green-yellow hair. Nearly half of the merpeople in the citadel have green tails.

Sapphire, Turquoise and Night all have bright blue tails. A blue tail means you were born for deep sea, my nurse used to say. All three have black, black hair, that sometimes seems blue.

Then Violet and I have silver tails. Silver might be common in fish, but not so in merpeople. A silver tail meant you were born for the shallows. Which is why I hate my name, it doesn’t make any sense.

People always say Violet’s beautiful, but I don’t see why she’s beautiful and not me. We have the same hair. Gold. Not yellow, real proper gold, like people above the surface. Our skin is also the clearest. All the others have some sort of tinge to their skin, but not us. It’s creamy pink.

I have the same eyes as Violet as well, dark, like the sea in a storm.

The legends say that we’re unlucky. We are always lured to the land.

Which is rubbish. I’m not always up on shore like Azure. She has a friend up there. Her name is Frieda. She’s the princess of The Island Kingdom. I’ve seen her a few times. She’s a mouse of a thing. Azure told us all one day how Frieda’s afraid of being trapped anywhere. She once saw her sister killed in a fire when she was little and hasn’t been the same since.

Anyway, I’m here to tell a story, I just needed to tell you who Frieda is so you’ll understand.

When Daddy finishes speaking, Azure starts telling him about the newcomers on the shore. They live further down on the coast of the mainland. Our kingdom stretches there, but we never go.

“There’s four of them,” Azure says. “Prince Charming and Princess Juliet, and their consorts Rella and Anthony.”

“Rella?” says father. “That’s an unusual name, even for people up on shore.”

I should mention now that we don’t speak the same language, not really. But if you have a seashell or a starfish or something in your hair, and the land person does too, you can understand each other perfectly.

“Yes,” says Azure. “Frieda says it’s all really weird. They picked the girl at a ball, where all the girls in the city were invited, but she ran away half way through according to Juliet. They only found her again by chance. Apparently, and this bit is really odd, she had really small feet. She had managed to leave one of her shoes behind and they found her by seeing who the shoe fitted.”

Daddy frowns. “They tried it on every girl in the city?”

“No, you see, Anthony, that’s Juliet’s husband, had just started work in the palace before the ball. It turned out he had been a friend of Rella before that, and he led them to her.”

Daddy shakes his head. “They really are bizarre creatures. And what does Frieda say about these foreigners?”

“Oh, she says they’re nice enough. You know Frieda, she’ll like anyone who eats fish. She says they’re quiet and thoughtful, which should please her.”

I get bored easily with talk of Frieda. I make this known by snorting.

Daddy looks at me. “Yes Deepest? Have you something to say?”

I flick my tail. “No. I just don’t see why we should take an interest on what goes on onshore.”

Daddy puts down an empty oyster shell. “Now Deepest, you know that your ancestors-”

“That my ancestors made an everlasting alliance with the people of The Island Kingdom. I know. But why should we talk about it?”

Azure bends down to look at me past my other sisters. “Deepest, Frieda is an old friend. I don’t know why suddenly you’ve taken such a dislike to her. You used to love hearing about up on surface. You even used to come up and visit. Not anymore.”

“Maybe I don’t want to spend all my time with my sisters and their friends, have you ever thought of that?” I say.

Indigo turns to me. “Would you like to go pearl-hunting tomorrow with us Deepest? Jade and Emerald and I?”

“I’m too old for pearl-hunting Violet.”

Violet looks surprised at this.

“How can you be too old when we’re not?” says Jade. Sapphire smirks beside her. The two of them think they’re so clever.

“I just don’t like it.” I say.

“Okay.” says Violet. It really bugs me how she’s always able to act so calm. She never loses her temper, and she doesn’t expect any of us to either. “We could sing.”

“I hate singing, you know that.” I say darkly.

“You’ve got a great voice.” says Turquoise. “Better than the rest of us put together probably.”

“Doesn’t mean I have to like it.” I mutter.

“Deepest what has gotten into you lately?” Daddy says. “You never want to do anything, you’re not interested in anything, you don’t talk to us.”

“It’s a boy.” says Sapphire nodding wisely. Turquoise and Jade laugh into their shells.

“Don’t be ridiculous Sapphire, just because no boy ever looks at you.”

It’s true though. No one ever does look at her twice. No merman wants a wife who spends all her time swimming around doing endless dares. What makes it even worse for her is the fact she hangs out with Jade. Everyone knows that by rights she should be spending her time with Turquoise. It’s plain unusual in my opinion.

“Deepest! That’s a horrible thing to say.” says Azure. She’s so annoying! She always tries to act like dear Frieda, all calm and sensible and motherly. Well, it doesn’t work on me.

“I’m not happy with your behaviour lately,” Daddy says down the table to me. “None of your other sisters act like this.”

“Well I’m not my other sisters am I? I’m me, I’m Deepest, though that shouldn’t be my name, I’m somebody different, even if none of you pay attention to me.”

“Go to your chamber.” says Daddy. “You will stay there all evening.”

“Gladly.” I say. I flick my tail hard as I swim up, I open the door to my room and slam it close behind me.

I can hear them talking about me below. I bend down. I have the lowest
bedroom in the palace, and there’s a gap in the coral where I can see the hall below.

“Father, there’s something wrong with her,” says Azure. “She’s been acting so strange lately. I don’t think it’s a boy, or anything like that. I don’t know what it is.”

“It couldn’t be the lure of, you know, the shore?” asks Night. “She’s a silver-tail after all.”

Violet sighs. “I don’t think so, I was never like this.”

“But as she says, she’s not any of us.” Azure says.

Well, finally, she’s onto something! At last, the wisdom of our future ruler is shining through!

“Are you and Lazuli going out tonight?” Daddy asks her.

“Yes, if that’s alright, we were going to go down to Tide Market.”

“Go ahead.” Daddy smiles at her.

That’s right, Azure, Daddy’s little golden girl! It drives me mad! What has Azure got? Nothing. She’s not very pretty, she hasn’t got a nice voice, she isn’t intelligent, but just because she’s the eldest! Once, my old nurse said it was because she reminded him of Mum. Well, I hope she reminds him too much of Mum and something horrible happens to her because of it! What a terrible queen she’ll be, rushing to the surface at every little problem. And Lazuli, her betrothed, he isn’t much better! Oh, the others think he’s perfectly witty and charming, but I can see he just wants to be king. It’s true! If Azure was an oyster trader, or a professional pearl hunter, he wouldn’t be interested in her at all. But she’s crown princess so of course he wants to marry her.

I’m going to marry whoever I want, and none of them can stop me.

I swim out to my balcony. The citadel’s all lit up. I can just about see Azure meeting Lazuli at the front of the palace. He’s deep sea, blue tail and black hair.

I can hear my sisters downstairs, practising. Emerald’s off key. She nearly always is. Besides, they’re trying to sing a nine-part harmony without two of us.

I’ve gotten so sick of nine-part harmonies. I have a better voice than all of them put together, but I barely ever get the solos. Well not for much longer.

There’s a storm brewing, it’s going to hit us pretty soon. And then, when we search for the lost sailors, little Deepest will disappear and none of them will have the courage to come and stop me.

And now, you know what you have to do! Please?
"Stella. You were in my dream the other night. And everyone called you Princess." -Lauren2010

22 Reviews

Reviews: 22
Thu Feb 14, 2008 5:33 pm
*lilmisswritergal* says...

This is a brilliant retelling of the real little mermaid story. :D I like the idea of having a 'daddy's little girl' type figure, but could you possibly add more detail to the main character? Also, is she called 'Deepest' I wasn't sure whether it was a substitute for 'dearest' or not. Anyway, it's a very good beginning, and I wish you luck with it. Please write more soon!

*lilmisswritergal*

1125 Reviews

Supporter

Thu Feb 14, 2008 5:37 pm
StellaThomas says...

No, she's called Deepest, she hates her name, because as the stories say, she was born for the shallows...

thanks for reading! To tell the truth, I had a sudden urge to write this after reading your Sleeping Beauty retelling.
"Stella. You were in my dream the other night. And everyone called you Princess." -Lauren2010

370 Reviews

Reviews: 370
Fri Feb 15, 2008 3:31 pm
Aedomir says...

What a brilliant adaptation! This is really good, and I enjoyed it tremendously. I haven't seen The little mermaid so I can't compare really, but the way 'Daddy's girl' is used tells me a lot about the main character. I cannot find any grammar issues, so I will just say that I really enjoyed this and I wish you all the best with future parts.

Keep Writing!

~D'Aedomir~
We are all Sociopaths: The Prologue

Sociopath: So • ci • o • path noun
1. Someone who believes their behaviour is right.
2. Human.

1125 Reviews

Supporter

Fri Feb 15, 2008 3:36 pm
StellaThomas says...

It's not really based off the Disney version, which I don't really like because they went and cut out the suicide at the end (me, a psychopath? No, really?), so I went my own way...

On that note however, no one objects to the prince being called Erik? 'Twould be the only similarity...

Anyway, thanks for the crit Aedomir!

75 Reviews

Reviews: 75
Sun Feb 17, 2008 7:04 pm
Pickle810 says...

I love the names! And the MC's conflict with her own name, which gives her depth and whatnot.

I'm thinking that maybe there should be a little more description of the father, like past memories and such, because I don't really understand him. But otherwise, this is a great retelling!
me: why can we kill for Jesus and not Muhammed?
my best friend: because Jesus is white.
me: that's not fair!
her: and what is?

878 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 878
Mon Jan 05, 2009 2:00 pm
Demeter says...

Hey, Stellz!

I hope you don't mind me digging this up, because this is kind of old and I don't know you're working on this anymore. I just wanted to crit something by you. :)

1. NITPICKS AND WHATNOT

he’s talking about something or another. Probably seahorse racing, or the dolphin rebellions or something.

With the vague enough something or another, the 'or something' in the end is redundant and sounds repetitive. You could also keep the 'or something' and find a better way to say 'talking about something or another', like 'talking nonsense'. 'Nonsense' is too strong word for this, but I was trying to make you thinking. :)

How I can’t wait until Azure gets married, then we can all move and I can be next to Night.

I think the 'how' is unneeded. You should clear up the 'move' thingy, because at first I kind of thought they were going to move away, until I realized you probably meant moving around the table. Also, why does she want to sit next to Night? Why does she dislike her current place? Explain a little more.

Azure is completely average, with seaweed red hair that’s so common, and a green tail.

I'd change this to 'Azure's looks are completely average, with common seaweed red hair and a green tail.' In fact, I think you could also think up a new word for 'green', to give us the idea. Like 'lime', or 'emerald', to mention a few. But that's just a suggestion; 'green' is working.

Jade, Emerald and Light all have green tails, except Jade and Emerald have green-yellow hair.

I don't understand the structure here. The colour of the hair hasn't got anything to do with the colour of the tails, so why have you put them in one sentence liike this? You could, however, try something like 'Jade, Emerald and Light all have green tails, too, but Jade and Emerald's hair is green-yellow, whereas Light's is red/black/whatever.' That might be too long, but you decide.

A silver tail meant you were born for the shallows. Which is why I hate my name, it doesn’t make any sense.

I believe you mean 'means', not 'meant'. Again, explain a little here. I think at this point you should mention the name 'Deepest' because it's only been mentioned in the title, not the story itself. If I were Deepest, I would've wonder why my name is what it is, if I was born for shallows – I'd wonder the meaning of it, and all in all, give it a little more thought than 'It doesn't make any sense.' But that's my character, not Deepest's, and she must be pretty young in this, so I'm not surprised she's not that Deep yet. :)

Our skin is also the clearest. All the others have some sort of tinge to their skin, but not us. It’s creamy pink.

Since the pure skin won't probably be that important for the story itself, I don't think you have describe it even this much; just "Our skin is also the clearest" would be enough. But it's up to you, of course.

She has a friend up there. Her name is Frieda. She’s the princess of The Island Kingdom. I’ve seen her a few times. She’s a mouse of a thing.

When you skim this, you'll see that this is kind of awkward to read, since all the sentences are so short. You could combine some of them, to make it smoother. (And what does 'a mouse of a thing' mean?)

She once saw her sister killed in a fire when she was little and hasn’t been the same since.

Anyway, I’m here to tell a story, I just needed to tell you who Frieda is so you’ll understand.

Hmm, I was wondering whether the mermaids would know what 'fire' is. I don't think there's any fire under the sea, so the casual way Deepest talks about it is a little funny.
And I suggest you try 'Anyway, I'm here to tell a story, and it's not about Frieda.' for the last sentence. The current one is also a bit awkward.

Yes Deepest?

“I’m too old for pearl-hunting Violet.”

Commas before the names.

Indigo turns to me.

I don't remember there being an Indigo.

“Okay.” says Violet.

“I hate singing, you know that.” I say darkly.

Alright. You need to replace the periods with commas. The dialogue cannot end with a period, if there's the "I/she/whomever says" coming after. Question marks and exclamation marks are fine, but periods should be commas. There were other places like this, in addition to these two, but you find them yourself. ;)

None of your other sisters act like this.

I'm sure you mean just 'None of your sisters', since Deepest isn't her own sister.

Well, finally, she’s onto something! At last, the wisdom of our future ruler is shining through!

I was confused at this. I know this is just Deepest's narration, but since she's been sent to her chamber at this point already, she wouldn't know what's going on in any other place.

2. CHARACTERS

Deepest is much like Ariel, which I'm sure you know as well. She's headstrong, and apparently the youngest? You did her character quite well, but unless you want it to be the plain old 'They treat me like a baby! I'll prove I'm better than them, though I'm the youngest!' stuff, you might want to add some Deepest flavour to Deepest. Right now, she's somewhat a copy of Ariel. But if you like it to be that way, since it's a retelling and all, you did that well.

Then there are the sisters. At the moment, they're just a bunch of pretty names. Azure is the only one with almost as much screen-time as Deepest, but the others are just there. And if you have a lot of supporting characters, there is a danger of making them all too similar. What if there were some signature phrase that one of them could use? Add some things like that, because now I can't tell the sisters apart.

And the father. Deepest says in the beginning that 'Daddy can be so mean sometimes', but what does she mean? There wasn't anything to prove that he's mean, so that was a little random. I think that with the father, you're going for a strict but loving type. If so, show it more. Actually, in any case, show it more.

3. OVERALL

I think the idea of retelling The Little Mermaid is fascinating, and the original, darker story is also more interesting, so I'm glad you're choosing to do it this way. Though I wouldn't like anyone to die! Personally, I'm a sucker for beautiful names and mermaids, so this is indeed my kind of story! :) However, since it's a retelling, you don't have to do it the same way than it's supposed to be – you can always think up new twists to make the reader go "Wow! I would never have thought of that!". Though, I do admit that you have already made it yours with all the-friend-on-the-shore stuff, which I don't think existed in the real version?
I'll be reading more. If not today, then some other day. And I hope you're still going on with this, because if you're not, then this whole review is vain. :D

Thanks for the read! See you around!

Demi
xxx

P.S. The whole Cinderella reference was funny. :)
"Your jokes are scarier than your earrings." -Twit

"14. Pretend like you would want him even if he wasn't a prince. (Yeah, right.)" -How to Make a Guy Like You - Disney Princess Style

Got YWS?

1125 Reviews

Supporter

Mon Jan 05, 2009 9:54 pm
StellaThomas says...

I can't believe you dug this up! Ahh... I'm so embarrassed. I actually love this story but... *sigh* it's so terrible!

I should explain: the original plan was to tell this from Frieda's perspective, and writing as Deepest was an experiment. That's why the sisters are just sort of carbon-copies, they were never supposed to have that much screen time, although I can see where you're coming from. Azure was the best developed because originally, she was Frieda's best friend and the only real link to the kingdom under the water.

The story does have twists, I like to think of Deepest as much more disagreeable than Ariel, and the Sea Queen is, like the original fairytale, highly unwilling to change her. But she does, in the end. It sparks off huge arguments between the land and the sea, and this is my original starting point: that as the future queen and the only one who knows both kingdoms, Frieda's the one trying to put it right when Deepest goes missing, before recognising the girl her brother-in-law's brought ashore.

As for Cinderella... the characters are recycled, I did a retelling of it which I'm currently revamping where Juliet and Anthony play a big part, and so I put them here as well. Both stories were an attempt to show the side characters of the fairytales in a different light and show it's not always the hero and the heroine that get through the trouble...

Thanks for the crit anyway, Demeter, even though I might not ever start working on this again! The comments are still very much appreciated.

-Stella x

47 Reviews

Reviews: 47
Mon Jan 05, 2009 10:17 pm
dragnet says...

this story belongs in the fanfiction section of this site. put it there.
Many ask me if I see the glass as half full or half empty. Well, I don't know about you, but I see the glass as, WHO DRANK HALF OF MY MILK?!?!?!

1125 Reviews

Supporter

Tue Jan 06, 2009 3:12 pm
StellaThomas says...

It's not based on the Disney version -it's not fan fiction, it's an original. Well, I don't know. It's a retelling of the original tale, does that make it fanfiction? I don't think so. If I was writing about a mermaid called Ariel then it would be, but as it is I'm writing about a completely different character in an entirely different universe whose name is Deepest. I think it can stay. In any case, it's super old.

Thanks for the input anyhow!

-Stella.

If you know what the tip of a shoelace is called, Congratulations, you watched Phineas and Ferb!
— FireEyes