z

Young Writers Society

YWS Romance (For BBB's contest)

245 Reviews

Reviews: 245
Sun Feb 10, 2008 7:27 pm
Firearris says...

Here is part 1 of my entry for BBB's valentines contest. It's more of a romantic comedy.

Hunter woke up one morning with Karma, his kitten, and made some coffee. Then poured the cup into the kitten's dish before pouring another cup for himself. Karma licked the coffee and started running and jumping around the house, then drank some more and started going crazy. Hunter took a sip from his cup, while daydreaming about his true love, Empress Kat.

Empress heard her alarm go off and nearly fall off of the table as she slammed the snooze button and slept longer. It went off again and she slammed the button and slept. For the final time, she woke to the alarm and turned it off. When she got out of bed, she started daydreaming about her true love, Scotty.

Scotty sat at his desk at school, drawing on his paper ‘Hunter + Scotty = forever’. While his teacher talked about the life cycle of the butterfly, something he learned in kindergarten, he daydreamed about his true love, Hunter.

Hunter yawned and went one YWS to find a new PM waiting for him, something about drawing a character for somebody; he thought about it and decided to respond later. He started critiquing things in the romance section, which brought him back to Empress Kat.

Empress poured herself some cheerios and ate them before going to her new computer. She checked her emails and went on YWS and left a message on Scotty’s guest book:

Hi Scotty! I just thought I might sign your guest book, I don’t think I’ve signed it yet!

She scrolled down and saw her last post on his book was the same thing, and above that Scotty said:

Um….that is the fourth time you said that. Just letting you know……

Empress giggled and submitted her message in his book.

Scotty was still sitting in his chair daydreaming about Hunter, his love. He was interrupted by his teacher, hitting his hands with a wooden ruler as she took his ‘notes’ away from him. She walked to the whiteboard, but didn’t look at his paper.
“Scott, do you mind showing the class what you drew, or what you wrote?” She asked, almost commanding. Scotty walked up to the teacher and grabbed the paper, he pretended to slip and he dropped the notes into the bucket filled of water the janitor left behind.
“Sorry teach.” He said as he walked back to his desk.
“Detention after class, Scott.” She said while Scotty started to daydream about Hunter again.

Hunter grabbed his phone and dialed the number: 254-4947
It rang twice and Hunter started muttering.
“Come on! Answer…answer…” He said to the phone as it rang the third time.

Empress ran to her phone and picked it up.
“Hello?” She said, out of breath. On the other end she thought she heard a little ‘yes!’.
“Hi Kat! This is Hunter, I was wondering if I could come over.” He said with excitement in his voice.
“Sure.” Kat said and she heard the phone turn off on the other end.

Hunter raced to the closet and picked out a good coat before racing out the door and to her house.

Scotty finally got out of school and got home, at that time, he was trying to think about how to get hunter to love him.

Kat hung up and turned on her computer, surfing the net for a few minutes before logging on to YWS. She jumped in the chat and found a story she had saved in her favorites. Cracking her fingers, she started typing up the critique.
She had just clicked the submit button when Hunter arrived.
"Hey." She said, letting him in.
"Hiya. How's it going?"
"Pretty good. Hang on, I'll get Bob." She said, going down the hall. Hunter sighed. He loved the smell of Kat's perfume. Tonight was the night. He was going to ask Kat out on a …date. He took a deep breath, inhaling more of the perfume, then took another to clear his head. After the third breath, he risk hyperventilating, and he decided it would be better not to breathe at all until her scent cleared the air. When she came back, it was with Bob, her brother.
"Hey, man, what's up?" Bob asked, grinning. Hunter shrugged.
"Not much. You wanna play some Halo?"
"Bring out the 360." Was his answer.
As they went into the living room, Hunter looked at Kat. She was on the computer, oblivious to him. He sighed and sat down, still looking at her when Bob gave him the controller.

Scotty jumped on the computer. It was so obvious! Why hadn't he seen it before? Hunter loved Empress. All he needed to do was make Empress hate Hunter's guts, then Hunter wouldn't love her anymore. Then Hunter would realize he and Scotty were meant to be together, and they would live happily ever after, except for Kat, who would live in a dumpster somewhere, hating Hunter's guts.
He looked at the chat and snickered. Perfect. Empress was in there.

Username: Hunter
Password: Empress

Kat blinked when Hunter came into the chat. She looked from her screen to the kid playing Halo with her brother, then back to the screen.
"Hey, Hunter?" she called.
"Uhh…" he said, face nearly pressed to the TV screen with her brother's.
"Hunter, why are you in the chat?"
"Huh?" he asked, looking at her, confused.
Her brother jumped up with a woot, punching the air.
"HA! Beat that! Dude, I totally owned you!"
Hunter walked over to the screen and raised an eyebrow.
"Hmm… Get up for a sec?" he asked. Kat gave him her seat.
Switching tabs, he logged Kat out of YWS but kept her in the chat. He brought back the legendary Mag and logged him into the chat.

[Magnificent_Ego] 6:30pm: Why, hello. Hunter.
[The Lounge]: Hunter has left at 6:31pm.

Hunter logged Mag out and himself in, changing his password, much as it twisted his heart in a knot to do so, from 'empress' to 'goddesskat'.

“Damn!” Scotty said as he punched his wall and fell down on his bed. A few hours later, Scotty logged himself in YWS.

Username: Scotty.knows

Password: Huntlove

He started critiquing hunter’s stuff.

Hunter got home and went into YWS chat. At that moment, EmpressKat came in.

This is my chance to say something to her and make her love me forever!

He thought, he waited for the right thing to come to his mind, but he was too late.

[Lounge]: Scotty.knows has entered at 8:30pm.
[EmpressKat] 8:30pm: Hi Scotty, did I ever tell you what I think about you?
[Hunter] 8:30pm: Hey kat, would you like to…..um…
[Scotty.knows] 8:30pm: Hunter – you have some great writings!

[Lounge]: Nate has entered at 8:31pm.

[EmpressKat] 8:31pm: Scotty, Your so cute!
[EmpressKat] 8:31pm: And hot!
[Nate] 8:31pm: What is going on here?

[The Lounge]: Hunter has left at 8:31pm.
[The Lounge]: Scotty.knows has left at 8:31pm.
[The Lounge]: EmpressKat has left at 8:31pm.

[Nate] 8:31pm: *sighs*
[Griffinkeeper] 10:45 pm: The guard appears "We have weasels now!"
[Firearris] 10:45 pm: askes the guard for the weasel!
[Griffinkeeper] 10:45 pm: The guard gives Firearris the Weasel.
[Firearris] 10:46 pm: aquires the weasel and renames it "Cat"

Take that, Lumi.

922 Reviews

Reviews: 922
Sun Feb 10, 2008 10:53 pm
GryphonFledgling says...

I like the first three paragraphs and how you immediately set up the different goals. It makes it funny from the very beginning.

One thing that I would suggest, however, would be to put something in between the POV changes so that they are clear. As is, they are separated by extra spaces, but perhaps something more visual (ex. *** or - o - o - o -) would make them a little clearer.

He started critiquing hunter's stuff.
Hunter should be capitalized.

I like how you took it into the chat room and made it really look like chat. *sigh* Poor Nate. I wonder how much of this he actually does have to put up with... ;)

You might want to separate your dialogue with spaces as well. You do a good job everywhere else, but when it comes to dialogue, we are still confronted with a large block of text that it difficult to separate visually into speakers.

Anyway, I think this is pretty funny. I'll read the rest and see how it works out... Hmmm...

~GryphonFledgling
I am reminded of the babe by you.

522 Reviews

Reviews: 522
Wed Feb 13, 2008 11:40 pm
canislupis says...

This reminded me a bit of Midsummer night's dream, by Shakespeare... :)

One comment I had was that you are doing a lot of "he walked over and did this, then he did that, and then he did that....." Add more adjectives and adverbs.....

Good luck with the contest!

~lupis

123 Reviews

Reviews: 123
Sat Feb 16, 2008 4:31 am
kittykat says...

*bursts out in laughter* this is awesome... :D
Our happiness here is all vain glory,
This false world is but transitory,
The flesh is weak, the Fiend is slee
Timor mortis conturbat me.
--William Dunbar

42 Reviews

Reviews: 42
Thu Apr 10, 2008 12:40 am
Sythe says...

Haha. I didn't quite understand any of that, partly because I think it's been using YWS people. I really liked it. It was funny.

You could use some detail in here. It's mostly just action and diologue and stuff like that. Not very much description. Where does Hunter live? Scotty? What do they look like?

Haha. Jared made a contest for this? Tsk.

Haha, great job, though.

:Sythe:

245 Reviews

Reviews: 245
Thu Apr 10, 2008 12:45 am
Firearris says...

Sythe wrote:Haha. I didn't quite understand any of that, partly because I think it's been using YWS people. I really liked it. It was funny.

You could use some detail in here. It's mostly just action and diologue and stuff like that. Not very much description. Where does Hunter live? Scotty? What do they look like?

Haha. Jared made a contest for this? Tsk.

Haha, great job, though.

:Sythe:
Heh, yeah. The contest was you had to write a romance using YWS people. :P
[Griffinkeeper] 10:45 pm: The guard appears "We have weasels now!"
[Firearris] 10:45 pm: askes the guard for the weasel!
[Griffinkeeper] 10:45 pm: The guard gives Firearris the Weasel.
[Firearris] 10:46 pm: aquires the weasel and renames it "Cat"

Take that, Lumi.

438 Reviews

Reviews: 438
Fri May 02, 2008 7:09 pm
JFW1415 says...

You told me to review, so I read through this thing.

Now I feel bad; I don't know many people. :oops: I was very lost. :lol:

What I did understand was funny, though.

You said you didn't really want a real review. You messed up with grammar/puncutation a lot, and you need to show what's happening. Slow down, let us feel like we're there.

I'm pretty sure this was just a joke type writing thing, though. :wink: If you'd like, PM me and I'll really look at this.

I'm not looking at the second part though, because I'm way too confused. I don't know these people. :(

Yeah...sorry for the lame review. :wink:

~JFW1415

When Larry King retires in 120 years John Mulaney should replace him.
— The Internet