z

Young Writers Society

Their End of the World (Chapter one)

516 Reviews

Reviews: 516
Fri Feb 01, 2008 6:40 am
chocoholic says...

This is my novel for NaNoWriMo, finally up. The chapters are very long (about 3000 words), and I'm going to post the whole thing in thie thread, one chapter at a time. So here's chapter one, enjoy!

CHAPTER 1

Dear Diary,

I go my Biology test back today and, like always, I got the highest score in the class; 97%. It was an easy test, though I couldn’t do the last few questions because the principal wanted to talk to me. It wasn’t anything major, just an exchange program he thought I might’ve been interested in doing. I wasn’t.

Charlotte’s stuff is all over the floor. I’ll have to talk to mum about getting her to clean it up. There’s no point in talking to Charlotte herself- because she hates me- but talking to mum might possibly lead to something.

Hmm… there’s someone knocking at the door. That’s odd. It’s 10pm. Well, it’s probably Tom- He went over to his girlfriend’s house and probably forgot his key. He is such an idiot sometimes. Weird, mum’s calling me downstairs. Well, bye.

Annabell.

The small girl of 13 locked her diary and jogged downstairs, pulling out the hair tie that ws keeping her chestnut brown hair in a plait. Her family, minus Tom, were sitting in the lounge room, with a taller man in a police uniform. Her dad, David, and her mum, Lucy, were sitting together on the couch, obviously worried and confused. Her 17 year-old brother Ethan was typing away on the family laptop like always, not paying any attention to anybody else and Charlotte was sitting on the ground, flipping through a fashion magazine, gasping at some points, but overall, not interested in wht she was looking at.

“What’s going on?” Annabell, more commonly known as Anna, asked.

“Yeah, that’s what I’d like to know,” Charlotte mumbled half-heartedly, not really being that interested, before squealing and showing her parents a picture of a new top she’d like. For a 15 year old she could be very dramatic.

The policeman cleared his throat to get the families attention, and began talking.

“Is Thomas Cole here?”

David shook his head. "No, he went out with his girlfriend a little while ago."

The police man nodded slowly and sadly.

"I'm so sory. But we think, no, we know, your son is dead. He was found with a shot to the head in a park."

David and Lucy were unable to speak for shock, and just shook their heads. The policeman pulled out a picture of the found body and showed the family, who all agreed that it was Tom.

“We think it’s a suicide, but there’s no evidence apart from the way he’s sitting and the gun in his hand, which could very easily have been placed there. Think, would your son have any reason for doing this? Kids?”

Anna considered the facts, trying to come up with a reason about why her eldest brother would do such a thing, but she failed. Sure, Tom wasn’t perfect, but he was popular, had a nice girlfriend and did pretty well at school.

“Are you sure it’s him, officer?” Lucy asked.

The policeman nodded. “You've confirmed it. I’ll be returning to the office now. If there's anything you wish to know, just call and ask for Seargent Ryan. I’m so, so sorry for your loss.”

David showed the policeman out the door and Anna returned to her room. She had two assignments due the next week, one that she hadn’t finished and another that she hadn’t started, but only because it was only handed out that Friday.

“Ethan, can I use the laptop?” Anna asked, her arms full with pens and paper, preparing to begin her Sports assignment.

“No,” Ethan mumbled, hunched over a shooting game. “I’m using it.”

Anna sighed and twisted her head to face Lucy, who was mesmerized in shock.

“Mum, there’s an assignment I haven’t started and I need the laptop to do it. Please make Ethan get off. I mean, he’s only playing a game.”

Lucy nodded silently and Ethan closed the game down, grumbling at the same time. Half of his life was spent on the laptop, and he hated it when people took it off him.

“Shouldn’t you three be in bed?” David asked when he returned to the lounge room. Charlotte agreed, noting that she needed her beauty sleep, and went to begin her long night routine. Ethan shrugged and mumbled a, “suppose”, and retired to her room. Anna, usually the first to go to bed, didn’t say a word as she surfed the net, looking for information about Equestrian riders.

“Anna, it’s bed time,” David said. “As in, stop using the laptop and get to bed.”

“But I’m doing homework!” Anna said, annoyed at the interruption.

David sighed and shook his head. “Anna, go to bed now.”

Anna saved the pages she thought useful onto her USB and went to get changed. Charlotte was still in the bathroom, so Anna kneeled down and clasped her hands together, saying a short prayer and then banging on the bathroom door, wishing her 15 year-old sister would hurry up.

“Will you be quiet?” Charlotte complained, swinging the door open to let her sister in. she was almost done, just smoothing out her mud-mask. Anna rolled her eyes and grabbed her toothbrush and toothpaste, nothing running through her mind apart from the vainness of her sister and that big Algebra test on Monday she had to study for.

After spending two minutes doing her teeth, Anna went back into her room and hopped into bed. She pulled out her Maths textbook and began reading, brushing up before her test. Anna wasn’t used to not getting the highest, or one of the highest, scores in the class. She was the brains of the family, and rarely failed. She hadn’t succeeded at music, and had given it up because she didn’t like knowing that she wasn’t good at something.

“I’m turning the light off,” Charlotte warned, and Anna put the rather heavy textbook on the floor next to her bed and rolled over to her side. Charlotte flipped the switch and the room was engulfed in darkness.

“Char?” Anna asked that night as they lay in bed.

Charlotte rolled onto her side to face her sister. “Yeah?”

Anna sighed. “Oh, nothing.”

Anna woke up to the sounds of crying early the next morning. She rolled over and saw that Charlotte wasn’t in her bed, so she got up and padded softly down the stairs and into the kitchen.

“What are you doing up?” Charlotte grumbled. She was sipping from a glass of water and there were tears stains down her tanned cheeks.

“I heard someone crying,” Anna said. “Was it you?”

Charlotte wiped her face and shook her head, leading Anna to believe that the sobbing she had heard was their mother’s.

“What’s the time?” Charlotte yawned, and Anna looked up at the clock on the wall.

“It’s two am,” she said, and turned around, hugging her arms into her body. It was the middle of winter, and getting very cold. Charlotte gulped down her water and followed Anna back up to their room.

“Goodnight,” Anna mumbled before falling back to sleep.

Lucy didn’t wake her kids up that morning. She knew Charlotte would love sleeping in, but Anna would hate it and Ethan probably would too.

“I can’t believe you let me sleep in till 10!” Anna screamed at her mother when she finally woke up. Ethan had left for school after he got up, and Charlotte was still sleeping.

Lucy put her arms around her daughter and stroked her hair.

“I’m sorry love. You can take the day off if you want, but if you’re sure you want to go to school I can drive you.”

Anna considered what classes she had that day. Really, the only good class she had was science, but her teacher was on the year seven camp so they would have a sub. Anna hated subs.

“I’ll stay home,” she said after a great deal of thought. “Not point in going to school. I can do some homework this way.”

Lucy nodded and offered her daughter breakfast, which was refused. David walked into the house, carrying a laptop case, and Anna stopped walking back up the stairs and grabbed the bag from her father, no uttering even a hello.

“Morning,” Charlotte yawned as she came down the stairs. She reached into the fridge and pulled out a carrot, which she then began eating.

“Morning Char,” Lucy said. “Are you going to school? Ethan’s already gone, but Anna’s staying here.”

Charlotte’s eyes bulged. Anna, staying at home! That hadn’t happened for two years, when she had had chicken pox. Education was everything to Charlotte’s little sister, and it was her dream to become a scientist or doctor.

“Are you serious?” Charlotte exclaimed, happy for the opportunity. “Yeah, I’ll stay. But I think Annabell might be sick. Have you checked her temperature?”

“I can hear you,” Anna shouted from the next room. “I’m not sick, thank you very much. I just don’t want to go to school today.”

Charlotte shook her head and switched on the TV, flicking through all the programs she hated until, finally, she came across a re-run of America’s Next Top Model. Usually David would have told Charlotte to turn off the TV, the rest of the family hated that show, but this time he didn’t.

“Look, girls, if you want to talk about Tom or anything, just come to your father or me,” Lucy said, sitting down on the couch. Her eyes were red from crying the night before, but she wasn’t going to let her family know about it. “The funeral’s in three days. Are, are you both coming? We don’t want to force you to go, but it would be nice if you did.”

Anna and Charlotte were shocked that their own mother thought they might not go to their own brother’s funeral.

“Of course I’m going, mum,” Anna said, and Charlotte nodded her head in agreement. Lucy smiled and held out her arms, hoping one of her daughters would want a hug. When neither of them pursed it, Lucy grabbed the phone and dialed her mother’s number.

“Hello? Mum. It’s me,” she said as Anna typed away and Charlotte continued flicking the TV channels, having gotten bored of America’s Next Top Model. “I have some, bad news. Tom, well, he killed himself… yes, yes. I know, it’s horrible and we have no idea why he did it… he used one of David’s guns… yes, I know they’re dangerous, David is getting rid of them soon… no, he’s selling them on eBay. The money will be good… okay, bye… love you too… bye.”

The conversation ended and Lucy dialed the number of the parents of Tom’s girlfriend. They wouldn’t have known, and his girlfriend, Amanda, had left a few days before to visit her older brother in Mexico.

“Tom told us he was going to see Amanda,” Lucy said to David before ringing. “But she’s in Mexico. He obviously knew exactly what he set out to do.”

David grunted, but didn’t say anything.

“Dad, the laptop’s not working properly,” Anna complained after a popup box came up with an advertisement. David rolled his eyes and went to ‘fix’ the computer. It wasn’t broken at all, but Anna rarely used it that the slightest thing gone wrong made her think that it was broken.

“I have to go shopping,” Lucy said after a while. “Anybody want to come? Charlotte? We can check out Cotton On.”

Charlotte turned the TV off and went to get changed. To Charlotte, there was nothing better than shopping. She wanted to be a model, but her parents wanted her to concentrate on her education.

“Would you like to come, Anna?” Lucy asked.

Anna shook her head, not turning her eyes away from the screen. She didn’t like shopping very much, and preferred to do well, almost anything else.

“Can you get me Wuthering Heights?” she asked. “I have to read it for book club. If you tell them that it’s for me they’ll give you a 10% discount.”

Lucy nodded and kissed Anna on the cheek, and then left with Charlotte. Anna saved her work, which was just typing up an essay for English, and checked her email. Anna only checked her hotmail account about every week, so usually she lots of junk mail to sort through, and not many real emails because she really only had a few friends.

There was only one real email, from her best friend Alice.

Hey Anna,

You’re not in school. I’m in science right now, but the sub has no idea what he’s doing so he gave us free time in the computer lab. I hate it when they do that. Oh well, after I send this email I’m going to do some more work on the science assignment. I know you said to wait until we were both together, but I’ll just do research.

Well, there’s nothing else to say really.

Bye,

Alice.

Anna closed down the internet and went into the kitchen, grabbing some berry yogurt and walking into her room. She shared the same room as Charlotte, which could sometimes be painful. They got on alright, sometimes, but they were two very different people and there were things about the other that annoyed them. Such as Anna hated it when Charlotte didn’t clean up her stuff and all the clothes and makeup spilled over to her side, and Charlotte hated the amount of books Anna had, so many, in fact, that Anna had to store them on Charlotte’s bookshelf, which didn’t hold that many of her own.

The doorbell rang and Anna heard her grandmother’s voice.

“Now where are my grandchildren?” Anna heard, and then feet coming up the stairs. Anna loved her grandmother, but she didn’t feel like talking to her at that very moment, but she knew that that wasn’t a very good excuse and her grandmother wouldn’t accept it.

“How’s my Annabell?” Lucy’s mother lived near to the Cole’s, after moving from the country after her husband’s death of a heart attack, but she didn’t often see her only remaining family.

“I’ve been better,” Anna said, hugging her grandmother.

“Oh, I’m so sorry about Tom,” tears appeared in her grandmother’s eyes. “He was always such a good boy. Do you know why he did it?”

Anna, who was beginning to cry for the first time, shook her head. The reality of Tom’s death hadn’t set in yet, but Anna knew she would feel it after the funeral.

“Where are Charlotte and Ethan?” Caroline asked as Annabell made a coffee.

“Charlotte went shopping with mum,” Annabell choked on her words, beginning to cry again. “And Ethan’s at school.”

Caroline stood up and wrapped her arms around Anna, doing her best to comfort her youngest grandchild. David, who worked in real estate, had gone to work just before Caroline had come.

The door opened, and Lucy and Charlotte came in, laden with bags.

“Hi mum,” Lucy said, smiling lightly as she put the bags down and hugged Caroline.

“Hello dear,” Caroline hugged her daughter tightly. “How are you feeling?”

Lucy sighed. People usually said ‘okay’ when people asked that questions, but Lucy just couldn’t. She wasn’t okay. In fact, she was far from it. Her eldest son, who was only 19, had gone and killed himself the day before.

“Don’t worry Luc,” Caroline said, rubbing her daughter’s back. “I’m here for you. Everything will be alright.”

Lucy started crying hysterically. “How can you say that mum?” she moaned. “How can you say everything will be okay? Tom’s DEAD! He’s dead, dead, dead, dead, dead!”

Anna handed Charlotte a mug of tea and the two sat down together, watching as Caroline comforted their mother. They didn’t usually get on, but when things went wrong, such as when Anna had failed a scholarship exam the pervious year or when Charlotte accidentally spread a rumor about her best friend and she was dumped by her, the two girls could be very supportive.

“Come on,” Anna tugged Charlotte’s sleeve. “Let’s go upstairs.”

Charlotte grabbed two bags and they headed up to their room.

“Here’s your book,” Charlotte thrust a Borders bag at Anna and pulled her diary from her bookshelf. Taking a pen from her schoolbag, Charlotte sat down on her bed and began writing at top speed.

Heya Diary,

Tom killed himself. Wow! I never thought I’d write that sentence. I always thought I’d be the one to kill myself. Tom had everything going for him, I’m just a slut. I haven’t seen Ethan since last night. Mum let me and Anna have the day off. Anna stayed home. Can you believe that? She actually stayed home!

I don’t feel well. I feel like crap. Complete and absolute crap. I can’t believe Tom’s dead.

Goodbye,

Charlotte.

Charlotte put her diary back on her shelf and turned to look at Anna, who was reading Wuthering Heights at great speed.

“Are you alright?” Charlotte asked Anna when she put her bookmark in her new book.

Anna shook her head and rolled over so she could see Charlotte easier. “I feel sick. What about you?”

Charlotte shrugged. “I feel horrible. Do you…?”

“What?”

Charlotte shook her head, sighing. “Oh, nothing really. Just forget it.”

Anna nodded and closed her eyes, falling asleep quickly despite all the sunlight shining into the room through the window. Charlotte walked out of the room and went to watch TV.

“Hello Charlotte,” Caroline said, sitting down next to her eldest granddaughter.

“Hi grandma,” Charlotte mumbled. She really didn’t feel like talking to anyone, and unlike Annabell, she would show it without being worried she was being rude.

“I’ve got something for you,” Caroline smiled, pulling out a small bag and passing it to Charlotte. Inside the bag was a little box, which held a locket.

“My mother gave me that locket,” Caroline said as Charlotte brightened up. “You look after it, now. It’s a precious family heirloom.”

Charlotte nodded, thanking her grandmother and putting it around her neck.

“Thanks grandma,” Charlotte hugged Caroline and the two began talking about how Charlotte was getting on at school.

Ethan came home at lunchtime, skipping the rest of school.

“How are you, darling?” Caroline asked.

Ethan shrugged. Nobody at school knew yet, but David was intending to call that afternoon, and there was to be a section on the news about it.

“Are you hungry, mum?” Lucy asked, walking into the lounge room. She was trying her hardest not to get too emotional, and was acting like it was just any other day.

“No thanks, dear, but Ethan here might like some. And where are those daughters of yours?”

Lucy shrugged and went back into the kitchen, intending to cook her family a big dinner. Caroline dragged Ethan into a conversation about school and work. The seventeen year-old, who would have preferred to be at work, politely answered his grandmother’s questions, and then left, saying that he had a test to study for.

“Yes, yes,” Caroline agreed. “You go study. Get good grades and then get yourself a good job. Oh, you lovely boy.”

Ethan grimaced as Caroline kissed his cheek and got away as quickly as he possible could. He slammed his door, which woke Anna up, and sat on his bed, head in his hands, and began a sobby-crying thing.

There was a knock on Ethan’s door and Charlotte came in, sitting beside Ethan and resting her head on his shoulder.

“Why did he do it?” Charlotte asked after getting sick of the silence.

Ethan shook his head. “I have no idea. I guess we’ll never find out, really. There was no note or anything.”

“I think I’ll go to school tomorrow,” Charlotte said, standing up and walking over to the door. She opened it a little and turned her head back to face Ethan. “But that’s no promise. How many people know?”

“Nobody,” Ethan said. “But dad is going to ring the school tomorrow, so everybody will know by the end of the week.”

Charlotte nodded and stepped out of her brother’s room, crossing the landing and entering her own room, where Annabell was singing horribly out of tune to one of her old 80’s cd’s and drawing in a large sketch book.

“What do you think?” Annabell put down her grey-lead and showed Charlotte her drawing. It was of Tom, Ethan, Charlotte and herself. Annabell wasn’t the best drawer, but she was better at art than at music.

Charlotte, who was quite talented at designing and textiles, but not so much at drawing, peered closely at the picture.

“It’s nice,” Charlotte said, taking the sketch book from Anna. “But why aren’t mum and dad in it too?”

Anna shrugged. “I don’t know, they just never seemed to fit into the lives of all of us. Despite the age differences, we could all hang out and be close, but we were never much of a family,” Annabell sighed. “Maybe this will change that.”

Charlotte nodded and handed the book back. She agreed with Annabell and turned the cd off, getting sick of the horrible music and the sure to be returning soon horrible singing.
Last edited by chocoholic on Fri Feb 15, 2008 9:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
*Don't expect to see me around much in the next couple of weeks. School has started again, and it'll be a couple of weeks before I've settled in. If you've asked me for a critique, you will get it, but not for a little while. Sorry*

220 Reviews

Reviews: 220
Thu Feb 14, 2008 10:55 pm
Sleeping Valor says...

I got my science test back today. It was a Biology test
Just wondering why you don't just say: 'I got my biology test back today'?

And,[add a comma?] like always, I got the highest score in the class:[colon] 97%.

I'm not sure (commenting as I read) if she's either very self satisfied, or very bored. =P

It was an easy test, but I couldn’t do the last few questions because the principal wanted to talk to me.

'but I couldn't...'. Again, not knowing her personality yet, I can't say for sure. But I might replace 'but' with 'though'. 'But' sounds almost like it's something she wanted to do--which may be the case, at which point you could leave it. *reads ahead* Yuppers, I'd change it myself.

It wasn’t anything major, just an exchange program he thought I might’ve been interested in doing. I wasn’t.

I don't know who introduced me to "--"s, but I find myself using them all the time, maybe because I don't know what they're for. Still, I might use one here, either before 'just an exchange', or before 'I wasn't' (becomes the same sentence in that case). But that's just my style. ^_^ I like how you said 'I wasn't' all by itself. Very dramatic.

Charlotte’s stuff is all over the floor. I’ll have to talk to mum about getting her to clean it up. There’s no point in talking to Charlotte herself, because she hates me, but talking to mum might possibly lead to something.

I'd either write this:
a. There's no point in talking to Charlotter herself because she hates me, but talking to mum might possibly lead to something.
b. There's no point in talking to Charlotter herself--because she hates me--but talking to mum might possibly lead to something.

Hmm… there’s someone knocking at the door. That’s odd;[semi colon?] it’s 10pm.

Well, it’s probably Tom. He went over to his girlfriend’s house and probably forgot his key. He is such an idiot sometimes.

Again. I might use a -- between 'Tom' and 'He went over to his..'

I liked this bit, also. It shows up more about the characters and their relationships. Good. ^_^

The small girl of 13 locked her diary and jogged downstairs, pulling out the hair tie that kept her chestnut brown hair in a plait.

Hmms. Is she pulling out the tie from a pocket? Or from her hair? If it's from her hair, I'd change 'kept' to 'that was keeping'.

Her family,[comma] minus Tom,[comma] were sitting in the lounge room,[no comma here, methinks] with a taller man in a police uniform.

Lounge. Is this the living room? If it is...do you usually call your living room 'lounge'? I ask because the language used in narration, though third person, is actually a reflection of the character's mind. Does she think of her living room as a 'lounge'? Seems very fancy to me, like maybe she's rich. =P

The small girl of 13 locked her diary and jogged downstairs, pulling out the hair tie that kept her chestnut brown hair in a plait. Her family minus Tom were sitting in the lounge room, with a taller man in a police uniform. Her dad, David, and her mum, Lucy, were sitting together on the couch. Her 17 year-old brother Ethan was typing away on the family laptop and Charlotte was sitting on the ground, flipping through a fashion magazine.

My first instinct is to ask: what are they thinking? Are the parents nervous? Do they know why the police man is here? There's a police in your house for crying out loud! I'd describe a little more their expressions or behavior, so we can see a little of their emotions. Maybe Ethan is always on the laptop, maybe Charlotte is always reading magazines, maybe both look bored and uninterested. Maybe the parents look worried. And then, does she take her cue from the emotions she read in them?

“What’s going on?” Annabell, or Anna, asked.

'or Anna'. Hmmm. Maybe try 'more often known as Anna' or 'nicknamed Anna' or 'who went by the nickname Anna' or 'who liked to be called Anna' or something. Or Anna sounds kind of impersonal, like both names have the same value, and one isn't a nickname she picked for a reason--as if it doesn't really matter which name is used (to her, that is).

“Yeah, that’s what I’d like to know,” Charlotte agreed, before squealing and showing her parents a picture of a new top she’d like.

How old is Charlotte? You didn't mention and I am seeing her as a 16 year old surely teenager. So her tone to me is kind of complaining. Try to specify how she says it, and go back and tell us her age. :wink:

The policeman cleared his throat and began talking.

why did he clear is throat? Unless he's sick, then you'd think he did it either to draw their attention (maybe Ethan wasn't looking?) or because he was nervous.

“We found the body of an approximately 20 year-old male lying dead on a park bench. There was a gun in his hands and a hole on the side of his head. On the ground beside him we found a wallet, with details that said he was Thomas Cole. Is Thomas Cole here?”

Whoa. A bunch of things here.He asks if Thomas Cole is here at the end, but pretending they made a mistake and this is the wrong house, I don't think he is allowed to go spilling case details to people like that. I've seen CSI, they usually start with the name or the photo, then they explain what happened. This is as much for the privacy of the dead and their family as it is for security. And also: sensitivity training????!!!! o.O I don't know about you, but if I thought I was about to tell a family that their know that their kin was dead, I wouldn't come at it like that.

Also, 'approximately' sound a bit awkward here. On top of that, if they found his wallet and they think it's him than they KNOW how old he is, no need to round like that.

*^*^*^*^*^

I have to go do my homework, sorry! I'll be back to do the rest of this as soon as I can. (Tell me how we have a semi formal tomorrow and I have no clothes???)

:wink: It's looking good so far! I hope the critique is of some help.

@^_^@ The Keekster
I'm like that song stuck in your head; I come and I go, but never truly dissapear.

And apparently I also write a blog.

220 Reviews

Mon Feb 18, 2008 4:43 pm
Sleeping Valor says...

*gasp* Look! Someone made changes. ^_^

The small girl of 13 locked her diary and jogged downstairs, pulling out the hair tie that was keeping her chestnut brown hair in a plait. Her family, minus Tom, were sitting in the lounge room, with a taller[taller than who?] man in a police uniform. Her dad, David, and her mum, Lucy, were sitting together on the couch, obviously worried and confused. Her 17 year-old brother Ethan was typing away on the family laptop like always, not paying any attention to anybody else and Charlotte was sitting on the ground, flipping through a fashion magazine, gasping at some points, but overall, not interested in what she was looking at.

“What’s going on?” Annabell, more commonly known as Anna, asked.

“Yeah, that’s what I’d like to know,” Charlotte mumbled half-heartedly, not really being that interested, before squealing and showing her parents a picture of a new top she’d like. For a 15 year old she could be very dramatic.

The policeman cleared his throat to get the families attention, and began talking.

“Is Thomas Cole here?”

David shook his head. "No, he went out with his girlfriend a little while ago."

The police man nodded slowly and sadly.

"I'm so sorry. But we think, no, we know, your son is dead. He was found with[I think it might be ‘from’, though with works too in this context. It’s just that a shot to the head isn’t an object, ish] a shot to the head in a park."

David and Lucy were unable to speak for shock, and just shook their heads. [sadly? In dismay? Disbelief?] The policeman pulled out a picture of the found body and showed the family, who all agreed that it was Tom. [Thinking this over again, I think that maybe him showing the whole family the picture is a bit bad. I mean—there are children present! I think that it would be kind of gruesome for them. Also, I think they usually have a family member come in and identify the body at the station/morgue—just to be sure. (and probably also to collect his personal effects and such)]

“We think it’s a suicide, but there’s no evidence apart from the way he’s sitting and the gun in his hand, which could very easily have been placed there. Think, would your son have any reason for doing this? Kids?” [I’m being picky. But I think rather than emphasize the fact he’s killed himself again the officer might be more likely to ask a question like ‘did your some seem depressed at all? Did he have any problems?’ Something that doesn’t outright bring back up the fact he shot himself.]

Anna considered the facts, trying to come up with a reason about why her eldest brother would do such a thing, but she failed. Sure, Tom wasn’t perfect, but he was popular, had a nice girlfriend and did pretty well at school.

“Are you sure it’s him, officer?” Lucy asked. [why does she ask? Because she can’t believe it? Also, as a reaction to this the officer might ask one of the parents to come down to the station to identify the body—since pictures aren’t always the best way to make sure. On an unrelated-ish note, I’m not sure the police would have the parents call down their children at all—it’s already going to be bad enough to have to break it to the parents, I think his training would teach him better than to take on the task of breaking it to the kids as well. That’s something they’d leave to the parents, who would know how to break it more gently. But if you don’t want to cut the scene… maybe she hears someone knocking, and not hearing her brother’s usual loud announcement that he’s home she senses something’s wrong and she sneaks down to spy?]

The policeman nodded. “You've confirmed it. I’ll be returning to the office now. If there's anything you wish to know, just call and ask for [/b]Sergeant[/b] Ryan. I’m so, so sorry for your loss.” [ooh. A sergeant. I like that you sent in somebody big to deliver the news, a sign that they respect the family. But until now I thought he was jut a regular officer, so maybe at the beginning Anna notices he’s got a fancy uniform with badges or something? Also, same point as before, about the picture not being a 100% sure way of identifying. Plus the personal effects—someone’s got to come get those. OH! And he should probably have asked if they knew where their son would have gotten the gun too. =P

Okay. So I shall call that scene one and do my plot review and such now. You did a good job on introducing the characters, and I liked how you gave us the parent’s names rather than have the forever trapped as being ‘mom’ and ‘dad’. Though, does the character think of them as Lucy and David? I always thought that narration reflects the MC in a way so my first instinct would be that though they have been given names, maybe not use them. But I actually like that you call them by name in your narration, it gives us the feeling we know them better.

As for plot: very interesting. You started off right away without wasting too much time, but still took enough to let us get to know the MC before charging ahead with the conflict. My only real plot point would be the one about the kids being present. The more I think about it, the more it seems unrealistic for the police officer to have had them there, unless the parents called them down and INSISTED they be allowed to stay—but that’s not something I’d expect of good parents. Sorry if that means you might have to alter the scene. =P

David showed the policeman out the door and Anna returned to her room. She had two assignments due the next week:[colon?] one that she hadn’t finished and another that she hadn’t started, but only because it was only handed out that Friday.

Whoa. I stop right away. You described to us how the parents reacted to the death of the brother, and now I realize I forgot to say you should have told us more about the kids’ reactions. But whoa. Her brother is DEAD. And she thinking about homework???? Did she not like him or something? Doesn’t she care? She’s 13—and completely unfazed by the fact her brother is dead. Unless she’s bottling it up, which you could tell us, then this stuns me.

“Ethan, can I use the laptop?” Anna asked, her arms full with pens and paper, preparing to begin her Sports assignment.

“No,” Ethan mumbled, hunched over a shooting game. “I’m using it.”

Anna sighed and twisted her head to face Lucy, who was mesmerized in shock. [Okay….so Anna went to her room and since you didn’t say otherwise, we shall assume the family stayed in the living room. You didn’t mention her leaving her room or going to find Ethan—but since Lucy is there I am going to assume he is still in the living room. You should tell us this; otherwise it feels suddenly like she didn’t move at all.]

David sighed and shook his head. “Anna, go to bed now.”

I’d try: “Anna, go to bed. Now.” But that because I see him as being very firm, no doubt because he and his wife need some alone time to figure things out.

Okay I didn’t spot any grammar issues in the rest of the scene (up until she goes to bed), so I shall go on wit my overall review.

To start, you have us a lot of details, which is good. Some I’m not 100% sure needed to be there, but at the same time a lot of them gave us insight into the characters so I shall not be picky.

OH! What was she praying for?

Right, as for general plot: The whole scene is entirely surreal to me—like this is a normal night for these kids and not the night a police officer came to tell them that their brother is dead with a hole in his head. Depending on if/how you change the previous scene, there are lots of possibilities to make this one interesting. For example, if she was the only one who knew (because she spied) then she’d struggle with telling her brother and sister or keeping it all in until her parents came to tell them.

But either way, I would definitely fix this. Maybe you could get away with one of them being indifferent--but all of them?

*^*^*^*^

>.< Okay, so it is monday and somehow I still haven't done this whole thing. >_> I also left my biology book at school even though I'm supposed to read some 20 pages of it for tuesday. And I don't have school today. I might even have a test tomorrow on said pages.

However, I have saved your thing to my computer so I can edit without having to worry about running out of time. I will get to the rest soon! (But maybe not until tomorrow. Since I think I do have a test in the morning. o.O Must go call my friend for notes!!)

It's looking good! Sorry it's taking me so long. =P

^_^ Keek!
I'm like that song stuck in your head; I come and I go, but never truly dissapear.

220 Reviews

Fri Feb 22, 2008 10:36 pm
Sleeping Valor says...

“What are you doing up?” Charlotte grumbled. She was sipping from a glass of water and there were tears stains down her tanned cheeks.

Where is Charlotte in the kitchen? By the sink? At the table? Is she facing Anna or did she just hear her come in?

“I heard someone crying,” Anna said. “Was it you?”

Charlotte wiped her face and shook her head, [s]leading[/s]wanting Anna to believe that the sobbing she had heard was their mother’s.

You said before that there were tear stains on her face, since you told us this we assume Anna has seen this as well. However, here you say that Anna is led to believe that it wasn’t Charlotte, even though the evidence is right there to tell her it was. Does Anna believe her? That’s what I get from the use of ‘leading’. If Anna doesn’t believe it, then you might want to change it.

“It’s two am,” she said, and turned around, hugging her arms into her body.

1) I’m not sure it’s written ‘two am’ in literature. =P Methinks it’s ‘two a.m.’
2) I’d suggest replacing ‘hugging her arms into her body’ (into?) with ‘hugging herself’ or ‘wrapping her arms around her body’.

It was the middle of winter, and getting very cold. Charlotte gulped down her water and followed Anna back up to their room.

Why did she follow her back to the room? I’m not sure, as an older sister, that I would go back upstairs with my little sis. I might want to sit alone a bit more…

This last little scene, to me, was a bit of an interlude. I know it’s important (?) to show us that Charlotte is affected by her brother’s death (so I forgive you for her being so unresponsive earlier, even if the complete lack of any hint of distress bugged me), but because the scene is so short it feels kind of like it could have been cut. Maybe try a smoother transition to the next scene. Starting right away with ‘Lucy didn’t wake…’ is sudden, I was expecting something more to happen or a nice little **^*^*^*^* or something to let us known you’re doing a time skip. Maybe try ‘Her eyes opened again some hours later and she stared in shock at the time…’ or something.

Lucy didn’t wake her kids up that morning. She knew Charlotte would love sleeping in, but Anna would hate it and Ethan probably would too.

If she knew they would hate it, why not just wake them up and then no send them to school? Or maybe it’s not that she chose not to wake them but that she just didn’t do it, maybe because she had other things on her mind? In which case you’re have to cut the ‘she knew…’ bits since it wasn’t a choice. =P

“I can’t believe you let me sleep in till 10!” Anna screamed at her mother when she finally woke up. Ethan had left for school after he got up, and Charlotte was still sleeping.

o.O OMG! My brother is dead, my parents are probably traumatized, and the best thing I can think of to do is tell at my mother even though just hours ago I thought I heard her crying. ^_^

I think I am going to take a pause from my play by play breakdown and talk about your character’s feelings. I don’t know if you noticed, but you don’t actually mention Anna’s feelings a lot. Is she screaming angrily because she’s mad at her mother for letting her sleep in? Or has the horror of her brother’s death on top of the fact she doesn’t like to sleep in pushed her into a sort of hysteric fit? Does she regret yelling at her mother? Does her mom look sad when her daughter yells at her? Or understanding? I keep wondering to myself: What is Anna thinking now? What is she feeling?

“I’m sorry love. You can take the day off if you want, but if you’re sure you want to go to school I can drive you.”

Again, did she let her sleep in intentionally or not? Because if it was intentional, then wouldn’t she be saying ‘I thought you’d want to take the day off…’? Just seems to me like if she expected the daughter to want to go to school, she’s have woken her up on time and told her she could go back to sleep if she wanted to stay home.

Anna considered what classes she had that day. Really, the only good class she had was science, but her teacher was on the year seven camp so they would have a sub. Anna hated subs.

“I’ll stay home,” she said after a great deal of thought. “Not point in going to school. I can do some homework this way.”

It seemed like she made the choice pretty easily, yet you say there was a great deal of thinking. Was she thinking of other things you didn’t mention?

Lucy nodded and offered her daughter breakfast, which was refused. David walked into the house, carrying a laptop case, and Anna stopped walking back up the stairs and grabbed the bag from her father, no uttering even a hello.

I might break the last phrase into two: ‘David walked into the house, carrying a laptop case. Seeing this, Anna stopped walking back up the stairs and grabbed the bad from her father, not even uttering a hello.’
Also, I’d put the ‘even’ before ‘uttering’ ^as I did there.
Again, why did Anna do this? Was she being intentionally rude?

Charlotte’s eyes bulged. Anna, staying at home! That hadn’t happened for two years, when she had had chicken pox. Education was everything to Charlotte’s little sister, and it was her dream to become a scientist or doctor.

“The last time that had happened was two years before, when Anna had had the chicken pox.” I found the phrasing awkward the way you have it.

“Are you serious?” Charlotte exclaimed, happy for the opportunity to skip school. “Yeah, I’ll stay. But I think Annabell might be sick. Have you checked her temperature?”

“I can hear you,” Anna shouted from the next room. “I’m not sick, thank you very much. I just don’t want to go to school today.”

Question: what POV have you got here? Until now I assumed it was centered around Anna, but here you showed us Chalotte’s thoughts and emotions, which tells me this is more of an ‘all seeing, all knowing’ type POV, or that Charlotte is your MC. I feel like I know Charlotte a little better than Anna, and Anna better through Charlotte. Think about it.

On the other hand, I think the universal POV is nice. I don’t see it often and it’s cool to read and know what everyone is thinking, not just one. ^_^

Charlotte shook her head [why?] and switched on the TV, flicking through all the programs she hated until, finally, she came across a re-run of America’s Next Top Model. Usually David would have told Charlotte to turn off the TV, the rest of the family hated that show, but this time he didn’t.

I’d replace the comma’s around ‘the rest of the family hated that show’ with double dashes -- <like that.

“Look, girls, if you want to talk about Tom or anything, just come to your father or me,” Lucy said, sitting down on the couch. Her eyes were red from crying the night before, but she wasn’t going to let her family know about it. “The funeral’s in three days. Are, are you both coming? We don’t want to force you to go, but it would be nice if you did.”

a) Anna isn’t in the room, yet her mom has brought up a delicate subject (at least for the mom it is).
b) If her eyes are red, then she isn’t doing a very goog job of hiding it. Maybe instead, for contrast, say ‘Her eyes were red from crying the night before, but her voice was steady’ to show us that she is in control.

Anna and Charlotte were shocked that their own mother thought they might not go to their own brother’s funeral.

^_^ Good!

“Of course I’m going, mum,” Anna said, and Charlotte nodded her head in agreement. Lucy smiled and held out her arms, hoping one of her daughters would want a hug.

Again, Anna is upstairs in another room, no? Or at least in another room (she was on stairs, grabbed laptop—though you didn’t actually say she went back down the stairs she’d been going up—and then went to another room)?

When neither of them pursued it, Lucy grabbed the phone and dialed her mother’s number.

Where is Lucy right now? Did you say? Where’s the phone? Cordless or handheld?

“Hello? Mum. It’s me,” she said as Anna typed away and Charlotte continued flicking the TV channels, having gotten bored of America’s Next Top Model. “I have some, bad news. Tom, well, he killed himself… yes, yes. I know, it’s horrible and we have no idea why he did it… he used one of David’s guns… yes, I know they’re dangerous, David is getting rid of them soon… no, he’s selling them on eBay. The money will be good… okay, bye… love you too… bye.”

Hmmms. I don’t think this is a conversation I’d have with my kids in the room. Have you considered maybe having the mom get up and go walk into another room, though the kids can still hear her through the door? Also, if we can see her, what is she doing? Sitting still? Twisting her hands? Frowning?
Oh! And there’s where he got the gun. ^_^ Mystery solved.

The conversation ended and Lucy dialed the number of the parents of Tom’s girlfriend. They wouldn’t have known, and his girlfriend, Amanda, had left a few days before to visit her older brother in Mexico.

“Tom told us he was going to see Amanda,” Lucy said to David before ringing, “but she’s in Mexico. He obviously knew exactly what he set out to do.” [How does she say this? It sound accusing to me, rather than sad. And kind of blunt, for a mother who is distressed by this loss. Shouldn’t this make her more sad, to know he’d planned this in advance?]

Where’s David? Last I saw him he came through the door and had a laptop yoinked away. How did he react to that? Did he come to stand behind his wife when she told the girls about the funeral for support?
David grunted, but didn’t say anything.

“Dad, the laptop’s not working properly,” Anna complained after a popup box came up with an advertisement. David rolled his eyes and went to ‘fix’ the computer. It wasn’t broken at all, but Anna rarely used it that the slightest thing gone wrong made her think that it was broken.

“I have to go shopping,” Lucy said after a while. “Anybody want to come? Charlotte? We can check out Cotton On.”

Charlotte turned the TV off and went to get changed. To Charlotte, there was nothing better than shopping. She wanted to be a model, but her parents wanted her to concentrate on her education.

“Would you like to come, Anna?” Lucy asked.

Anna shook her head, not turning her eyes away from the screen. She didn’t like shopping very much, and preferred to do, well, almost anything else.

“Can you get me Wuthering Heights?” she asked. “I have to read it for book club. If you tell them that it’s for me they’ll give you a 10% discount.”

Lucy nodded and kissed Anna on the cheek, and then left with Charlotte. Anna saved her work, which was just typing up an essay for English, and checked her email. Anna only checked her hotmail account about every week, so usually she lots of junk mail to sort through, and not many real emails because she really only had a few friends.

There was only one real email, from her best friend Alice.

Hey Anna,

You’re not in school. I’m in science right now, but the sub has no idea what he’s doing so he gave us free time in the computer lab. I hate it when they do that. Oh well, after I send this email I’m going to do some more work on the science assignment. I know you said to wait until we were both together, but I’ll just do research.

Well, there’s nothing else to say really.

Bye,

Alice.

^_^ I liked this whole bit. Especially the e-mail from a friend. It shows what kind of friends she does have, and you let us know more about all the family. I think there could be a bit more description of emotions, though.

Anna closed down the internet[internet, or laptop?] and went into the kitchen, grabbing some berry yogurt and walking into her room. She shared the same room as Charlotte, which could sometimes be painful. [I think we already figured out she shared the room with Charlotte, it’s something you showed us (good job ^_^). So you don’t have to repeat it.]They got on alright, sometimes, but they were two very different people and there were things about the other that annoyed them. [s]Such as[/s]To begin with, Anna hated it when Charlotte didn’t clean up her stuff and all the clothes and makeup spilled over to her side, and Charlotte hated the amount of books Anna hadso many, in fact, that Anna had to store them on Charlotte’s bookshelf, which was alright since it didn’t hold that many to begin with.

*^*^*^*^

*pressed preview* >_> You know, maybe I am doing this wrong. I think I am being nitpicky (trying to be extra extra helpful/typing all the questions that come to my mind as I read) which maybe is getting annoying. Sorry. I shall read the rest and give you an overall review without this nitpickyness (unless you'd like me to. =P).

*reads*

In Charlotte’s Diary, she sounds kind of cheery until the end. The exclamation points add to that, so maybe remove them.

^_^ Woot. Done. Okies. =P I will say, I enjoy reading more when I’m not looking for things I could point out. XD

Wow. Is there more of this? I got the feeling it was stand alone, with a sort of fuzzy happy family brought together by tragedy-ness to it. If that was what you were trying to accomplish, you did well. ^_^

Having read this, my only real suggestion to you is to add emotion. This is an emotional story, and even if you don’t want to tell us the character is holding back sadness, you could show it by telling us their facial expression. With more emotions, this will be absolutely beautiful. ^_^

Hmm. Wolf asked me to look out for cliché, so I must ask (doesn’t bug me though): do you feel that your characters are a little too much of one thing? Anna is all smarts (ish), Charlotte is all magazines and having fun, and Ethan’s the lone wolf (ish). I don’t know if that’s cliché, but I did notice that. I’m no expert of characters, sadly. =P

I hope you’ll forgive me for taking so long! I really did like this, it’s nice and a great theme, too. Hopefully I didn’t drive you nuts with my critique, this is my first try at a longer more in depth crit.

I hope I’ve been of some help. :wink:

^_^ Keek!

516 Reviews

Reviews: 516
Fri Feb 22, 2008 10:58 pm
chocoholic says...

Yep, this is a novel. 14 chapters!

Thank you so much for your critiques. I can't edit right now, but I should be able to soon. You're right about the emotion. It's never been my strong point, but I'm definetely going to put your suggestions to work. And everything else you pointed out will be fixed up.

Don't worry about being nitpicky, that's what I wanted.

Thanks again,

choco.
*Don't expect to see me around much in the next couple of weeks. School has started again, and it'll be a couple of weeks before I've settled in. If you've asked me for a critique, you will get it, but not for a little while. Sorry*

You don't need to follow me! You don't need to follow anybody! You got to think for yourselves!
— Brian Cohen