z

Young Writers Society

Chapter 2. No title yet.

170 Reviews

Reviews: 170
Tue Jan 29, 2008 2:44 am
Lindsaroo says...

*If anyone has read my chapter one, as well as this, I just would like an opinion on if you guys think I should change it to 1st person. I think it might sound a lot better that way, but I would like opinions, thanks.*

A sharp ringing broke through her world of lost fields and buried souls that filled her dreams. Anna rubbed her face and reached for her phone.

“Hello?” Her tongue was heavy with sleep.
“Oh! Sorry Anna, did I wake you up?”
“I should be up anyways I guess.” She sat up in bed.
“Well I think I found out something really big!”
“What is it, Mariah?”
“You know how I told you I had a feeling all those missing people were connected somehow?”
“Oh not this again.” Anna sighed and shook her head, even though Mariah couldn’t actually see her.
“Listen to me! I really do think they’re related. I’ve been looking through files and papers for months. I think I’ve figured it out.”
“Mariah, I think you need some sleep. Ok no, a lot of sleep.”
“Would you just hear me out?”
“Yeah sure, as long as you promise to put the coffee down and get some rest.”
“Sure. Can I talk now?”
“Yeah.”
“Ok, well this is what I’ve found out. There have been sixteen missing people reported in the last twenty eight years. And none of them have been found. No bodies. Nothing. So what if it’s the same guy taking them all?”
“You’re joking right?”
“Why would I be joking?”
“Mariah, it’s only sixteen people and they were taken, some of them, years apart.”
“Yeah, I know. And they have nothing in common. Not at all. That’s why I can’t figure this out.”
“Maybe because it’s just a bunch of coincidences?”
“Well no, because what if he picked at random? Then they wouldn’t have anything in common.”
“First of all, how do you know it’s a guy? I could be a girl. Second of all, if this person wanted them not to know each other, they would have done a lot of research on them. Figure out who they knew and avoided them. Made sure not that many people would miss them. Stuff like that.”
“Oh my gosh! That makes so much more sense! I knew you would believe me, Anna!”
“I didn’t say I believe it, I just...oh never mind.”
“Hey, have you talked to Craig lately?”
“He called me yesterday. Why?”
“Oh so you have talked to him. Strange.”
“Well he left me a message on my machine. I didn’t actually talk to him.”
“Oh...”
“Why? What’s going on?”
“Well I skipped going, for research, but most of the cops went to check out his house. I think he may be missing. And since you and him are going out I figured...”
“We broke up. I thought I told you.”
“No way! Since when?”
“Three days ago.”
“How come?”
“He was cheating on me.”
“Damn. Do you know who with?”
“Delilah, his secretary.”
“Typical.”
“Yeah. I should have known a dentist couldn’t resist a hot secretary.”
“Sorry love, maybe the next one will be better.”
“Next one? Yeah right.”
“Oh don’t do that with me. You’re gorgeous. You know the guys can’t keep their eyes off you.”
“Whatever you say, Mariah. Oh, what was that about Craig?”
“I just don’t know where he is. I think he’s the one that’s missing. It scares me.”
“Well he called me yesterday and it would have been forty eight hours before it was reported. And I saw it on the news last night. Just calm down.”
“Ok...but would you mind calling him for me? Just to calm my nerves. I need to go.”
“Sure, I guess.”
“Thanks. I’ll call you when I get home.”
“Don’t forget about that nap!”
“I won’t. Bye, Anna.”
“Bye.”

Anna closed her phone shut and sighed. She didn’t want to have to talk to Craig but she did say she would. She decided to get ready for work before she called. Although she was really only procrastinating having to talk to him. She got out of bed and took a shower. It wasn’t nearly as pleasurable as it was the night before. Well at least before the temperature had changed on her.

She grabbed her hairdryer and plugged it into the electric socket. She switched it on to high and blew it dry. She brushed it out a final time and pulled it back into a tight and high ponytail. She put on some mascara and lip gloss. Nothing big, but just something so she didn’t scare anyone. Now she was ready for work.

Anna worked at a book store that was only three blocks away from her house. She is the assistant manager and really likes her job, but mostly because she gets to work with books. That, and her discount when she needs something new to read, which is like everyday.

She had put on a pair of blue jeans and a black polo shirt. Her orange vest was over that with a big metal pin on the left breast that said Annabelle Martin, Assistant Manager. She looked at her phone. She walked over to it and picked it up, holding it in her hand. The screen told her that she had fifteen minutes before she should leave, of course it was just enough time to call him. She dialed his cell phone number from memory and listened to it ring. After four or five times, she wasn’t sure, his voice came through.

“Hey there.”
“Hi Craig, look I just...”
“You have reached Craig Daniels. Sorry I can’t make it to my phone right now, but I promise you that once I check my messages I’ll be sure to call you back. Have a great day.” His voice stopped and she closed her phone. She wanted to laugh at how phony he sounded and at what a lie that was. There had plenty of times where she had called and he never called back because he was too busy with his little secretary.

Anna took a deep breath and closed her eyes. She wasn’t going to get upset about this. She stuck her phone in her pocket and grabbed her purse. She never liked putting her phone in her purse; it just made her feel unsafe.

She walked out her front door after grabbing a coat and locked it behind her. Then she set out for her walk to work. It never took her very long, but she didn’t have a car so she had to walk. She didn’t mind but sometimes the weather was so bad that she’d rather be in a car. That was one of the benefits of having a rich boyfriend. He used to take her to work a lot and a lot of other places too.

She shook him out of her head again. She had barely thought of him for three days and now she couldn’t stop.

She walked along the sidewalk that was lit up by the sun. The old and new writing from the neighborhood kids was left on the concrete. She stepped over a note that said “Jamie and Carlos are in love and always will be”. Of course the two people that had written that so far back ago had broken up a week later. And Carlos had been shot by Jamie’s brother. It just goes to show you, love never lasts.

Anna was getting off track again. She stopped and leaned against the wooden fence that had been there for at least twenty years. She shut her eyes and nodded her head up to the sky. She inhaled the morning air and felt the sun beat down on her face. It felt nice and her head cleared up a bit. Then she walked around another corner and the bookstore stood there, like it was waiting for her.

She had to get there at 9:00am to open it up because the manager was taking a vacation with his wife and two kids so that left Anna in charge. A young man was standing against a lamp post just in front of the store. He nodded to her and she smiled. It wasn’t a warm and friendly smile, but more of a confused and nervous smile. He just watched her as she reached into her purse and pulled out the keys. She tried to forget he was there as she opened the door and stepped inside. He didn’t follow her but it didn’t look like he had left either.

About thirty minutes later two of the employees came into work and went into the back room to put their things away and get their vests. Most employees kept their vests at the store so that if they were lost they couldn’t be held responsible.

Anna had been putting books in their right places that she found askew when the two men had walked out of the back with their same, bright orange, vests that were now pulled on and their pins attached. Gregory Stanfield, who was a thin and tall Caucasian man with metal rimmed glasses and blond hair that was always covered with a baseball cap, walked behind the counter to wait for customers. He was a cashier and he never seemed to have a problem with it. Anna thought this was because he was just lazy but she really had no idea.

The other man was a shorter man. He was pretty much the opposite of Gregory. William Shafters. He was a dark skinned man and only a little bit shorter than Anna. He had the morning shift of mostly going around and helping customers. They were both very nice guys and good tempered. There were other employees that come in a bit later and have shifts afterwards but Anna only really liked these two. They had become good friends and were protective over her. It was kind of like she had two big brothers.

“Oh crap.” She said under her breathe. William heard it.
“What is it?” Will asked her.
“I left a few books at home that I borrowed from Patty. I know she should be clocking in soon and I promised her that I’d bring them today.”
“Oh, just drive home and get them. We can watch over for a few minutes.”
“I have no car.”
“Call Craig. Wait, he can just pick them up for you and drop-…” Anna put her hand up to Will and tears were settled in her eyes. She remembered when her ex used to run errands for her and always kiss her cheek afterwards.

“Anna? What happened?” He asked, laying a comforting hand on her shoulder.
“He…we uhh…we’re not really…well what I mean is…” She snapped. She thought this couldn’t affect her. She thought she was invulnerable. She never actually looked at the situation. She started crying and walked outside. She walked around to the side of the store and planted herself on the curb of the sidewalk. She wiped the tears away but they kept coming. Her jacket was inside and she was starting to shake. She couldn’t go back in there now though. And just as if someone was reading her thoughts, and black men’s coat was draped over her back. She looked up, expecting that tanned face with very light brown hair and grey eyes to be smiling down at her, but it was a different face. It was the young man from this morning.

“Sorry ma’am, you looked cold, not to mention upset. I may be just a stranger, but I think I can be of help.” His rich brown eyes smiled at her and a warm feeling filled her. Before Anna could talk, he had sat down next to her and extended a hand to her. She took it.
“The name’s Rustin Barvwell. Maybe you’ve heard of Thomas Barvwell?” Anna made a small nod. “That’d be my father, bless his soul. He died last month actually. Great man. Great man.” Anna’s voice cracked as she spoke.
“I’m very sorry for your loss.”
“Ah no, he died in his sleep, peacefully. Just the way he wanted to go.” There was an awkward silence between the two.
“Oh, I never said who I was.” Anna’s face flushed a dark pink then went back to normal.
“And who might you be, my pretty friend?” Anna smiled.
“I’m Annabelle Martin.”
“My, my, my, that is one beautiful name.” Again Anna smiled. “I would like to ask something, if you would so allow me to?”
“Go ahead.”
“Would you happen to have a boyfriend? I don’t mean to pry, but you are absolutely breathtaking.” Anna laughed and her face turned a deep red. She wasn’t even upset to think about Craig.
“Not anymore, but that’s probably for the best.”
“Ah bad break up I assume?”
“He cheated on me.” Rustin looked like he had just been slapped.
“On you? But my dear, you are by far the most beautiful woman I have ever seen. How could someone choose another woman over you?” Okay, now it was starting to get creepy. Anna made a weak smile and gave this man a cautious look.
“Forgive me; I never was good with the ladies. I was only trying to make you smile, you seemed so upset and I hate to see young and pretty faces so upset.”
“Oh, that was nothing really. I just kind of lost my cool.”
“Well every tear has a reason to fall, darling.”
“I guess you’re right there…”
“Of course I am. You want to tell me?”
“Well, I barely know you. Why should I tell you all of that?”
“If I may say, Miss Anna, you’ve already told me a lot about yourself.”
“Yes, but that’s just friendly conversation between two strangers.”
“Well, maybe one day I won’t be a stranger.” He stood to his feet and reached down to help Anna up. Strands of his dark brown hair fell into his face.

“Oh, don’t forget your jacket.” She said, and handed it over. As he took his coat, he slipped a card into her hand. It said RUSTIN BARVWELL 3809 PANDERSON ROAD. 1800-555-9836. She smiled at him and he walked off into a small black car and drove off down the street. Anna watched until he was out of sight.
"After it happened I thought that I'd just try to live as normally as possible and bury it, but things like that don't stay buried. I didn't think it would, but it taints your whole life."

"My desires were bestial, obviously." -Jeffery Dahmer.

189 Reviews

Reviews: 189
Tue Jan 29, 2008 9:54 pm
[deleted1] says...

Lindsaroo wrote:*If anyone has read my chapter one, as well as this, I just would like an opinion on if you guys think I should change it to 1st person. I think it might sound a lot better that way, but I would like opinions, thanks.*

A sharp ringing broke through her world of lost fields and buried souls that filled her dreams. Anna rubbed her face and reached for her phone.

“Hello?” Her tongue was heavy with sleep.
“Oh! Sorry Anna, did I wake you up?”
“I should be up anyways I guess.” She sat up in bed.
“Well I think I found out something really big!”
“What is it, Mariah?”
“You know how I told you I had a feeling all those missing people were connected somehow?”
“Oh not this again.” Anna sighed and shook her head, even though Mariah couldn’t actually see her.
“Listen to me! I really do think they’re related. I’ve been looking through files and papers for months. I think I’ve figured it out.”
“Mariah, I think you need some sleep. Ok no, a lot of sleep.”
“Would you just hear me out?”
“Yeah sure, as long as you promise to put the coffee down and get some rest.”
“Sure. Can I talk now?”
“Yeah.”
“Ok, well this is what I’ve found out. There have been sixteen missing people reported in the last twenty eight years. And none of them have been found. No bodies. Nothing. So what if it’s the same guy taking them all?”
“You’re joking right?”
“Why would I be joking?”
“Mariah, it’s only sixteen people and they were taken, some of them, years apart.”
“Yeah, I know. And they have nothing in common. Not at all. That’s why I can’t figure this out.”
“Maybe because it’s just a bunch of coincidences?”
“Well no, because what if he picked at random? Then they wouldn’t have anything in common.”
“First of all, how do you know it’s a guy? I could be a girl. Second of all, if this person wanted them not to know each other, they would have done a lot of research on them. Figure out who they knew and avoided them. Made sure not that many people would miss them. Stuff like that.”
“Oh my gosh! That makes so much more sense! I knew you would believe me, Anna!”
“I didn’t say I believe it, I just...oh never mind.”
“Hey, have you talked to Craig lately?”
“He called me yesterday. Why?”
“Oh so you have talked to him. Strange.”
“Well he left me a message on my machine. I didn’t actually talk to him.”
“Oh...”
“Why? What’s going on?”
“Well I skipped going, for research, but most of the cops went to check out his house. I think he may be missing. And since you and him are going out I figured...”
“We broke up. I thought I told you.”
“No way! Since when?”
“Three days ago.”
“How come?”
“He was cheating on me.”
“Damn. Do you know who with?”
“Delilah, his secretary.”
“Typical.”
“Yeah. I should have known a dentist couldn’t resist a hot secretary.”
“Sorry love, maybe the next one will be better.”
“Next one? Yeah right.”
“Oh don’t do that with me. You’re gorgeous. You know the guys can’t keep their eyes off you.”
“Whatever you say, Mariah. Oh, what was that about Craig?”
“I just don’t know where he is. I think he’s the one that’s missing. It scares me.”
“Well he called me yesterday and it would have been forty eight hours before it was reported. And I saw it on the news last night. Just calm down.”
“Ok...but would you mind calling him for me? Just to calm my nerves. I need to go.”
“Sure, I guess.”
“Thanks. I’ll call you when I get home.”
“Don’t forget about that nap!”
“I won’t. Bye, Anna.”
“Bye.”

Anna closed her phone shut and sighed. She didn’t want to have to talk to Craig but she did say she would. She decided to get ready for work before she called. Although she was really only procrastinating having to talk to him. She got out of bed and took a shower. It wasn’t nearly as pleasurable as it was the night before. Well at least before the temperature had changed on her.

She grabbed her hairdryer and plugged it into the electric socket. She switched it on to high and blew it dry. She brushed it out a final time and pulled it back into a tight and high ponytail. She put on some mascara and lip gloss. Nothing big, but just something so she didn’t scare anyone. Now she was ready for work.

Anna worked at a book store that was only three blocks away from her house. She is the assistant manager and really likes her job, but mostly because she gets to work with books. That, and her discount when she needs something new to read, which is like everyday.

She had put on a pair of blue jeans and a black polo shirt. Her orange vest was over that with a big metal pin on the left breast that said Annabelle Martin, Assistant Manager. She looked at her phone. She walked over to it and picked it up, holding it in her hand. The screen told her that she had fifteen minutes before she should leave, of course it was just enough time to call him. She dialed his cell phone number from memory and listened to it ring. After four or five times, she wasn’t sure, his voice came through.

“Hey there.”
“Hi Craig, look I just...”
“You have reached Craig Daniels. Sorry I can’t make it to my phone right now, but I promise you that once I check my messages I’ll be sure to call you back. Have a great day.” His voice stopped and she closed her phone. She wanted to laugh at how phony he sounded and at what a lie that was. There had plenty of times where she had called and he never called back because he was too busy with his little secretary.

Anna took a deep breath and closed her eyes. She wasn’t going to get upset about this. She stuck her phone in her pocket and grabbed her purse. She never liked putting her phone in her purse; it just made her feel unsafe.

She walked out her front door after grabbing a coat and locked it behind her. Then she set out for her walk to work. It never took her very long, but she didn’t have a car so she had to walk. She didn’t mind but sometimes the weather was so bad that she’d rather be in a car. That was one of the benefits of having a rich boyfriend. He used to take her to work a lot and a lot of other places too.

She shook him out of her head again. She had barely thought of him for three days and now she couldn’t stop.

She walked along the sidewalk that was lit up by the sun. The old and new writing from the neighborhood kids was left on the concrete. She stepped over a note that said “Jamie and Carlos are in love and always will be”. Of course the two people that had written that so far back ago had broken up a week later. And Carlos had been shot by Jamie’s brother. It just goes to show you, love never lasts.

Anna was getting off track again. She stopped and leaned against the wooden fence that had been there for at least twenty years. She shut her eyes and nodded her head up to the sky. She inhaled the morning air and felt the sun beat down on her face. It felt nice and her head cleared up a bit. Then she walked around another corner and the bookstore stood there, like it was waiting for her.

She had to get there at 9:00am to open it up because the manager was taking a vacation with his wife and two kids so that left Anna in charge. A young man was standing against a lamp post just in front of the store. He nodded to her and she smiled. It wasn’t a warm and friendly smile, but more of a confused and nervous smile. He just watched her as she reached into her purse and pulled out the keys. She tried to forget he was there as she opened the door and stepped inside. He didn’t follow her but it didn’t look like he had left either.

About thirty minutes later two of the employees came into work and went into the back room to put their things away and get their vests. Most employees kept their vests at the store so that if they were lost they couldn’t be held responsible.

Anna had been putting books in their right places that she found askew when the two men had walked out of the back with their same, bright orange, vests that were now pulled on and their pins attached. Gregory Stanfield, who was a thin and tall Caucasian man with metal rimmed glasses and blond hair that was always covered with a baseball cap, walked behind the counter to wait for customers. He was a cashier and he never seemed to have a problem with it. Anna thought this was because he was just lazy but she really had no idea.

The other man was a shorter man. He was pretty much the opposite of Gregory. William Shafters. He was a dark skinned man and only a little bit shorter than Anna. He had the morning shift of mostly going around and helping customers. They were both very nice guys and good tempered. There were other employees that come in a bit later and have shifts afterwards but Anna only really liked these two. They had become good friends and were protective over her. It was kind of like she had two big brothers.

“Oh crap.” She said under her breathe. William heard it.
“What is it?” Will asked her.
“I left a few books at home that I borrowed from Patty. I know she should be clocking in soon and I promised her that I’d bring them today.”
“Oh, just drive home and get them. We can watch over for a few minutes.”
“I have no car.”
“Call Craig. Wait, he can just pick them up for you and drop-…” Anna put her hand up to Will and tears were settled in her eyes. She remembered when her ex used to run errands for her and always kiss her cheek afterwards.

“Anna? What happened?” He asked, laying a comforting hand on her shoulder.
“He…we uhh…we’re not really…well what I mean is…” She snapped. She thought this couldn’t affect her. She thought she was invulnerable. She never actually looked at the situation. She started crying and walked outside. She walked around to the side of the store and planted herself on the curb of the sidewalk. She wiped the tears away but they kept coming. Her jacket was inside and she was starting to shake. She couldn’t go back in there now though. And just as if someone was reading her thoughts, and black men’s coat was draped over her back. She looked up, expecting that tanned face with very light brown hair and grey eyes to be smiling down at her, but it was a different face. It was the young man from this morning.

“Sorry ma’am, you looked cold, not to mention upset. I may be just a stranger, but I think I can be of help.” His rich brown eyes smiled at her and a warm feeling filled her. Before Anna could talk, he had sat down next to her and extended a hand to her. She took it.
“The name’s Rustin Barvwell. Maybe you’ve heard of Thomas Barvwell?” Anna made a small nod. “That’d be my father, bless his soul. He died last month actually. Great man. Great man.” Anna’s voice cracked as she spoke.
“I’m very sorry for your loss.”
“Ah no, he died in his sleep, peacefully. Just the way he wanted to go.” There was an awkward silence between the two.
“Oh, I never said who I was.” Anna’s face flushed a dark pink then went back to normal.
“And who might you be, my pretty friend?” Anna smiled.
“I’m Annabelle Martin.”
“My, my, my, that is one beautiful name.” Again Anna smiled. “I would like to ask something, if you would so allow me to?”
“Go ahead.”
“Would you happen to have a boyfriend? I don’t mean to pry, but you are absolutely breathtaking.” Anna laughed and her face turned a deep red. She wasn’t even upset to think about Craig.
“Not anymore, but that’s probably for the best.”
“Ah bad break up I assume?”
“He cheated on me.” Rustin looked like he had just been slapped.
“On you? But my dear, you are by far the most beautiful woman I have ever seen. How could someone choose another woman over you?” Okay, now it was starting to get creepy. Anna made a weak smile and gave this man a cautious look.
“Forgive me; I never was good with the ladies. I was only trying to make you smile, you seemed so upset and I hate to see young and pretty faces so upset.”
“Oh, that was nothing really. I just kind of lost my cool.”
“Well every tear has a reason to fall, darling.”
“I guess you’re right there…”
“Of course I am. You want to tell me?”
“Well, I barely know you. Why should I tell you all of that?”
“If I may say, Miss Anna, you’ve already told me a lot about yourself.”
“Yes, but that’s just friendly conversation between two strangers.”
“Well, maybe one day I won’t be a stranger.” He stood to his feet and reached down to help Anna up. Strands of his dark brown hair fell into his face.

“Oh, don’t forget your jacket.” She said, and handed it over. As he took his coat, he slipped a card into her hand. It said RUSTIN BARVWELL 3809 PANDERSON ROAD. 1800-555-9836. She smiled at him and he walked off into a small black car and drove off down the street. Anna watched until he was out of sight.

“First of all, how do you know it’s a guy? I could be a girl. Should be It could be a girl :wink:

Other than that, it's really good. I think it could go with first person, but third person is great for it. I think you should keep it as third person. I really liked it :) Keep it up!!

I hope this helps :D

-Your S.S.K. :wink:

713 Reviews

Reviews: 713
Tue Jan 29, 2008 11:00 pm
BigBadBear says...

Hey, Slinds! I'm back!

One question: Why are the dialouge paragraphs not broken up? The rest of your story wasn't... it just seemed odd.

Anyway, this was a little better than the last chapter. When Anna was getting ready for work was insanely listy. I'll show you.

See. Most of the sentences start with She. It REALLY bugs the crap outta me. Like I said in the earlier review, make these sentences fun to read. Make them interesting.

This whole paragraph has nothing to do with anything. I would cut it all out. Unless this becomes important in later chapters, I would cut this out.

The scene at the end, when the man shows up, I really liked him. I was drawn to him, if you get what I mean. He was witty, and fun. His conversation with Anna was good.

Anna, (for the most part) seems very plain. She is going through a breakup. She cries whenever she talks about Craig.

Make her different. Make her cooler than all the other heartbroken women out there. Anna needs to be special. She is, after all, a real human being. You have brought her to life. You need to care for her. Give her abilites. Give her disabilities.

This is good, and I'd read more if you would post it!

BBB
Just write -- the rest of life will follow.

Would love help on this.

In dreams, we enter a world that's entirely our own.
— Albus Dumbledore