z

Young Writers Society

for the birds who went south last winter

140 Reviews

Reviews: 140
Thu Nov 29, 2007 2:48 pm
Kalliope says...

I think I know the feeling, that's behind this. The struggle, trying to be happy, but being unable to. The melancholy of knowing, it's getting darker again and the dark never completly leaves, and you can't change it.
I think I understand.
Nicely done.
~Kalli

565 Reviews

Reviews: 565
Thu Nov 29, 2007 4:28 pm
Stori says...

Good job. I didn't find any obvious errors.
"The one thing you can't trade for your heart's desire is your heart."
Miles Vorkosigan

"You can be an author if you learn to paint pictures with words."
Brian Jacques

Random avatar

Reviews: 665
Thu Nov 29, 2007 4:53 pm
deleted6 says...

Man... Brad I'm so sorry that sound horrible, not you're recitations but the poem. I hope you get better and god you really sound so depressed. I had to comment after hearing, stay strong Brad... Stay strong.
We get off to the rhythm of the trigger and destruction. Fallujah to New Orleans with impunity to kill. We are the hidden fist of the free market.
We are the ink, we are the quill.
[The Ink And The Quill (Be Afraid) - Anti-Flag]

163 Reviews

Reviews: 163
Fri Nov 30, 2007 2:13 am
Kit says...

Bah, still cannot hear your recording of it, so I can but comment upon the content.
I am hoarding as much light as possible
before the days get too short and I am at a loss
for happiness.

This could have been very melodramatic, even if you'd extended it to a quatrain, it would have been molasses, but as it is, kind of reflecting upon haiku/senryu form, it has an lightness, it's understated, simple, lyrical. Your pastoral qualities serve you well. I like the elements of play and necessity here, the light and the hoarding, for indeed happiness is more important than food, and if not happiness then light, then the things that induce some little peace in us. Your structure is good, I'm not one for punctuation, so I don't know, ask Amelia. The only mistake I could find here was the misspelling of hoarding. No, I don't know what happened to the real Kit. Robert Frost, Dylan Thomas, they have their parts in this, but tell me have you read "Snake" by DH Lawrence?

I am going a hundred miles
outside the city to cut a trail through the bruised
apples. So much of the heart is road, most of it

This wasn't so finely done as the first, but you're reaching into more rich imagery so it affords more messiness, more reality, and the cutting a trail through the bruised apples, that is sublime. Again, you've got the physical necessity and then the abstract, teasing them out separately. "most of it" disarms that grandeur of the metaphor which serves your tone very well, it's lovely. There is something akin to folk lyrics, actually, this would make quite a good song. There's that kind of humility and sense of space, of the dense meaning in simple action. But again, nothing terrible to comment on. **growls**

in need of work. I am going to spend the whole
afternoon in the orchard, calling each tree
a tombstone, saying a prayer

Why you cut it there, I'm not entirely sure, I suppose it works for the flow, I do want to hear how you spoke this. But your heart metaphor, again, is stunning, so you can do any little thing you want to your reader. The future tense worked particularly well in this stanza, this nearly stolid stoic planning, this restraint. This is grief in logical terms, and echoed well in your setting. This is the ritual of being human, in some way.

for the birds who went south last winter
and never came back. I am dreaming
of old lovers, I am trying to sing.

I'm glad that you chose this line as your title, it suits it perfectly. Almost stark, bare image there, endearingly existential observation, don't change anything. Nothing. the end of the second line here and the third line, I didn't quite like as much, they drop back into the emotive, where you left the present tense, so, actually I take that back, that is good, there was just something- ah, never mind, it works as it is, it's brilliant.

This is something of beauty, and for this illusive hope that almost comes upon the edge of your tongue in it, that makes it the more heartbreaking. You are rare, and most precious.

Enslaved,
Kit.
Princess of Parataxis, Mistress of Manichean McGuffins

665 Reviews

Reviews: 665
Wed Dec 05, 2007 4:02 am
Chevy says...

Oh Brad, this is so heartbreaking! You sound so sad and lonely in the recording, and I just want to reach out and hug you. I know you're not going to see this for a few months now, but I really, truly hope everything works out for you and find happiness and love.
when there's nowhere to go, it's time to grow up.

602 Reviews

Reviews: 602
Sat Dec 08, 2007 8:27 am
Wolf says...

This was really good; although you didn't directly express your emotions, there is plenty of feeling in this.
I really liked the imagery of the bruised apples and the trees to tombstones. That was kind of, I dunno, enigmatic and well-done.
Cheers,
Ayra
everything i loved
became everything i lost.

Would you like a review?
http://www.youngwriterssociety.com/topic73903.html

404 Reviews

Reviews: 404
Sat Aug 16, 2008 2:54 pm
Gadi. says...

This was so amazing! So sad. Much simpler than some of your other poems. Every metaphor, every description, every emotion was perfect. Congrats.
my world isn't only beautiful
it is so far away

Random avatar

Reviews: 1
Sun Aug 17, 2008 10:23 pm
Grant says...

Hi I really liked your poem I thought it was really inspiring I thought in some more commas in different places but I really liked it!

It's all a matter of perspective. Everyone is the hero of their own story, and the villain of another's.
— James