z

Young Writers Society

So I'm trying to research genii...

696 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 696
Tue Nov 27, 2007 9:00 pm
Audy says...

One of my main characters in the story that I'm writing happens to be a genius (or at the least very very very intelligent). Because of this though, it's kind of difficult to develop his character. I've tried researching genii --mostly it gives me a big headache. I've also drawn inspiration from books I've read which had genius characters, I suppose that helped the most.

But anyway, it'd really help if you can post based on what you know or have heard of, or maybe your opinions about genius in general. I know that genii look at the world from a different perspective incomprehensible to the rest of us --but what about their personality? How would a genius act? xD

Do they have to be stoic or can they be really passionate people?

Does anyone know if genii are awkward in social situations, or do they just think society is below them?

If we're looking at a young genius (around 18 years or so) how would they act like? Can a genius still act like a normal guy? Still be immature?

The way I've done it with my character--he's got a childish spirit, even though mentally he's extremely wise. He's very eccentric -- little things would delight him. It's different from what I've read of genii, but I am not sure if it's completely accurate. Lots of people believe that certain personality traits come from the genes, and if that's the case, then perhaps I need to reconsider my character.

Like I said, your thoughts on this subject will really help.

694 Reviews

Reviews: 694
Tue Nov 27, 2007 9:30 pm
Via says...

I think you are stereotyping genius behavior, which is going to seriously hinder the process. Just like 'average intelligence' people, people of genius intelligence each have their own personalities and act in completely different ways. There is no set 'personality' for genii, really...just like there is no set personality for people with blue eyes that is different from people with brown eyes.

Everyone has their own!
My Literary and Arts Blog

"I think I'd miss you even if we'd never met." -The Wedding Date

1176 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 1176
Wed Nov 28, 2007 11:29 am
Twit says...

Genius as in Artemis Fowl genius? From the title, I was thinking of Aladdin.

I think ypu can do what you want. Make him like a normal person.
"TV makes sense. It has logic, structure, rules, and likeable leading men. In life, we have this."

#TNT

915 Reviews

Reviews: 915
Wed Nov 28, 2007 12:15 pm
Incandescence says...

Audy,

Via is quite right, and I'd like to emphasize that the stereotyping she mentions is even less valid for highly gifted individuals than for "normal' people. Quirks, personality ticks and social skills vary astronomically from one to the next, so the only advice I can give when it comes to writing about one is this: gifted people often have extremely sharp and perceptive (insert whatever (logical, emotional, mathematical, scientific, artistic, etc.)) skils and are able to make leaps of logic much quicker than those around them. It's a tough thing to write about, doubtless.

Best,
brad
"If I have not seen as far as others, it is because giants were standing on my shoulders." -Hal Abelson

696 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 696
Thu Nov 29, 2007 12:08 am
Audy says...

Genius as in Artemis Fowl genius? From the title, I was thinking of Aladdin.

Lol! I was told that the plural of genius is genii (as in gen-eye...I assume)

I feel quite stupid now. I realize, and I understand what you all are saying, thanks --I think the reason that I'm asking is because I was trying to be as realistic as possible. I always thought that intelligence did affect one's personality in some ways...huh, I feel ignorant. Perhaps my concept of genius intelligence is too fantastical, which is why I'm asking around and researching on my own, of course. Nevertheless, I'll stick with my character and try not to worry too much on the genius aspect. Thanks all.

130 Reviews

Reviews: 130
Thu Nov 29, 2007 9:45 pm
scotty.knows says...

Well, I'm a genius *pats self on back* and so are a lot of my family members, so I can tell you a little about the elusive "genius".

The first thing is that people who are geniuses tend to be really weird. It's like their brains have had their dial cranked all the way to the right, so not only are they really smart, they have outstanding personal characteristics.

For example,

My grandpa tells lots and lots of stories from when he was a little kid. This might owe to the fact that he has an eidetic memory and can remember absolutely everything- even though he's over 75 years old! We'll be talking about something and then he will be reminded of something he learned in 4th grade.

This is an actual conversation between me, my brother, and my Grandpa.

Me:I'm not sure Michael. Let's ask Grandpa. Hey Grandpa!

Gramps: What?

Me: Who was the Pharaoh from the story of Moses?

Gramps: Well, a lot of people think it was Ramses, but I always figured it was Thutmose the 3rd.

[Actually, I'm not sure it was Thutmose the 3rd, but it was close enough]

Michael: Thutmose the 3rd? When did you learn about him?

Gramps: Back in grade school. I was always getting in trouble for arguing with the teacher and I was sure to hell it was Thutmose the 3rd.

Me: Oh, thanks.

So you can see that insane memory capacity is one factor of genuis.
'Merikuh!

152 Reviews

Reviews: 152
Sun Dec 30, 2007 3:14 pm
Rubric says...

there is no stereotyping for geniuses, as explained above. However, many of the smartest people you hear about, or meet, are also affected by various mental conditions. Autism and savants spring to mind, and these can be easily looked up. Both entail social difficulties derived from different sources.

However, a genius character does not require such a condition, and in the absence of these conditions there would be no correlation between intelligence and social ineptitude, or other characteristics. Personally I think wit require intelligence though.
So you're going to kill a god. Sure. But what happens next?

Diary of a Deicide, Part One.

Got YWS?

1125 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 1125
Sun Dec 30, 2007 3:52 pm
StellaThomas says...

There is no stereotypical genius...some will argue that Shakespeare was the only true genius...

However, it is a fact (I can't remember where I heard this) that the cleverer you are (these days, or perhaps way back when it was unthinkable) the more likely you are to dream in cartoon form...

Okay, so perhaps it isn't actually a fact, just an urban myth. But I still find it quite interesting...
"Stella. You were in my dream the other night. And everyone called you Princess." -Lauren2010

73 Reviews

Reviews: 73
Mon Dec 31, 2007 6:51 pm
deleted1 says...

Stella Thomas wrote:There is no stereotypical genius...some will argue that Shakespeare was the only true genius...

However, it is a fact (I can't remember where I heard this) that the cleverer you are (these days, or perhaps way back when it was unthinkable) the more likely you are to dream in cartoon form...

Okay, so perhaps it isn't actually a fact, just an urban myth. But I still find it quite interesting...

\o.o/ woo

6 Reviews

Reviews: 6
Fri Jan 25, 2008 10:11 am
traveller says...

I think it would be interesting if you drew on the strange habits of various eccentric musicians. You might find something that gives your character a real spark.
check my music -------------->> www.myspace.com/parashardas

Reviews: 0
Tue Jan 29, 2008 11:59 pm
jaberwokee says...

I think it depends entirely on personality and interests, not intelligence. There's many people who you wouldn't realise were genii unless you saw them in the situation in which they thrived, in day to day relationships and whatnot they're just like anyone else (I feel as though I'm speaking about animals in a zoo here, sorry!).

Take me for example, you wouldn't guess I was technically a genius (a label that fills me with shame) unless you started up a conversation about literature or the english language.

Sorry if that made no sense, I do that sometimes.

I drink tea and forget the world's noises.
— Chinese saying