Young Writers Society

Home » People » TheSunChildren


About TheSunChildren

Where do i begin?

I started writing stories back when i was..7? i think? That was when i really began to develop my imagination. I have always been fascinated in fantasy tales i think i can say, as far as i can remember anyway.

It was only in 2010 that i really got a move on with my works, and i have always admired how my mind used to produce such detailed worlds at such an early age.

What can i say? i am a British patriot through and true. I love this country, not for its current issues, but for its heritage. No other country in the world can rival Britain/England for its history. I am a monarchist, but i also believe in democracy. I wish for nothing more at the moment in terms of national issues than for the UK to leave the EU, but i won't go too much into that.

I am able to shut out most issues in my life and wont let them affect me until i have completed what i am doing. I use writing as a means to keep me entertained too.

I feel confident when posting my work on here when i choose to, but what i find distressing on my own behalf is the fact that i am actually - scared - of getting criticism. I don't know why and never have known, i just hate being told what I'm doing wrong and i wish i wasn't.

What pains me is that on this forum i may come across as arrogant, or ignorant? i don't know? That's really not who i am. I don't get much free time with my school studies of which i am 90% committed. The other 10% goes towards writing and expanding my own novel and as such i rarely get time to do anything else. I will always talk to people if they talk to me and i will always help those who want it. I don't know how people on here see me, but in all honesty it doesn't matter to me much, i am who i am and i know who i am.

I am not a confident person, i often struggle to read in front of people, especially when it's my own work. My writing is one of the most personal things i do, and i selectively share with people what it's about, for some reason - i'm afraid of telling them?

I spend most my free day writing, planning and drawing related subjects to my story, whether it be directly related or background work. Its my favourite hobby and i never want to stop.

One thing i have developed over the years is the ability to perceive plots in a rather unusual way. When i write i try and give the scene i am writing a colour for the atmosphere. This means writing colour related settings to do so, and by doing this in each chapter i am able to give them consistency. When i read other works i usually associate certain chapters with a colour and i try and link them together. It's odd, but its useful when writing.

The Sun Children started as a piece of A grade GCSE coursework when i was 15 years old - originally called 'Heart of the Flame' it contained a lot of chinese references. However, only the basis of one character's name remains now for the story has developed that much. The Sun Children has become the largest project i have ever undertaken, and it is constantly expanding. I go way beyond the stories, but i go into the cultures, people, architecture, artifacts, trades, politics, laws, the lot.

Often i speak a lot of politics, and others think i am a law student for my knowledge of how the political system works. I am just very well informed in that specific area and i implement a lot of it into my medieval world.

So here we are in 2013, hopefully the year i will become a published author, who knows?


Writing stories, creating worlds inside my head, designing swords, armour, cultures, everything my mind can muster. I also live for Tolkien's legendarium, i suppose the man's determination is what gave me a kick in the backside to be inspired!


Student in Sixth Form

There are three rules for writing a novel. Unfortunately, no one knows what they are.
— W. Somerset Maugham