User avatar

Merlin34

  • Writers Corner Re: Wanted: talented writer

    This seems interesting, but I'm not entirely sure what the theme is supposed to be. Is it a story told form the POV of someone who goes to music festivals? ...

    Feb 2, 2010
  • Writers Corner Re: What's Your Writing Style?

    I try and go for a style that tells you what's going on without being overly flowery.

    Jan 31, 2010
  • Writing Tips Re: Romance tips!

    If there's going to be a love triangle, make both people just as likely to get the boy/girl. Let's take Twilight as an example. Classic love triangle. Bella has to ...

    Jan 20, 2010
  • Writing Tips Re: Romance tips!

    Here's a rule. The romance should actually develop. "True love" and "love at first sight" are big cliches and rather lazy. Romances in real life don't just start in a ...

    Jan 20, 2010
  • Writing Tutorials Re: All Important Groundwork

    What do you mean by "actively" using "then"?

    Jan 15, 2010
  • Writers Corner Re: Idea for a Short Story WIth a Farmboy Hero

    The magic in this world is different. No one throws fireballs at anyone. Instead, magic only comes in the form of potions, (for example, a potion to increase stamina or ...

    Jan 15, 2010
  • Writers Corner Re: Idea for a Short Story WIth a Farmboy Hero

    I'm thinking that the herbs are nearly impossible to plant in a new place: they have to be tended and protected from predation where they already exist, and the invading ...

    Jan 14, 2010
  • Writers Corner Re: Idea for a Short Story WIth a Farmboy Hero

    The story begins with Danyil, a boy living on a farm in a remote village. The all-powerful Dark Lord sends troops into town and destroys his home, killing his family, ...

    Jan 13, 2010
  • Writing Tutorials Re: Natural-Sounding Dialogue and Fantasy Accents

    EDIT: Oops, I copy-pasted the wrong article. THIS is it. To make your characters believable, it is important to make sure all dialogue is natural for the character. Example: "I ...

    Jan 13, 2010
  • Writing Tutorials Re: Hero Clichés to Avoid

    I think that farmboy heroes could be cool. They just need to get out of the "Dark Lord destroys farmboy's family" plot. Or maybe it could be a different kind ...

    Jan 13, 2010
  • Writing Tips Re: How do you describe your character?

    I usually just slip in details as I go.

    Dec 17, 2009
  • Writing Tips Re: The Prologue

    I removed my prologue long ago.

    Dec 7, 2009
  • Writing Tips Re: What Is Your Favorite Writing Tip?

    Write a story that you would read.

    Nov 25, 2009
  • Writing Tips Re: so you want to be a writer?

    I've noticed this about both you and errtu2. Nearly all of your work on YWS is poetry, and it seems like the advice in this poem would work better for ...

    Oct 12, 2009
  • Writing Tips Re: "It would be great if there was a writing program that..."

    That could look for repeated words and phrases. Obviously things like "the", "to", "at", and "a/n" wouldn't count, but it would be nice to find your "the rivers of light ...

    Oct 12, 2009


The same boiling water that softens the potato hardens the egg. It's about what you're made of, not the circumstances.
— Unknown