User avatar

Merlin34

  • Writing Tutorials Re: Guide to Geography and Ecology in Fantasy (Updated)

    One problem with a lot of amateur fantasy, it seems, is a lack of knowledge on the part of the author with regards to geography and ecology. This often gives ...

    Aug 16, 2010
  • Writing Tutorials Re: Wolves in Writing

    Canis lupus... one of the most common animals in fiction. Their roots in stories go back thousands of years, from the vicious Fenrir of Norse mythology to the beautiful, mysterious ...

    Aug 16, 2010
  • Writing Tips Re: The Fantasy Novelist's Exam

    My story racks up bout 2 yeses, and 3 maybes. These two questions were interesting to me. "Would "a clumsy cooking wench more comfortable with a frying pan than a ...

    Jul 5, 2010
  • Writers Corner Re: Touch typing with ten fingers

    I do kind of a weird mix of touch typing and hunt and peck. I use only my index fingers and thumbs but I can still go like a speed ...

    Jun 22, 2010
  • Writing Tips Re: The Fantasy Novelist's Exam

    Some of the questions are legitimate (like the ones about research), but others are kinda... mean. Now, if you're tripping questions left and right, maybe the story should be left ...

    Jun 22, 2010
  • Research Re: Time Travel Survey

    1. Where would you travel to? - Probably Ancient Greece or the Permian Era. 2. Would you time travel for vacation? - Heck yes. 3. Would you ever consider moving, ...

    Jun 22, 2010
  • Research Re: Need a Myhtological Monster!!!!

    You could try nagas. They're humans with snake tails for legs.

    Jun 7, 2010
  • Writers Corner Re: Booyah!

    I have gotten over my writer's block. Resolution is chugging along. I finished Chapter 6, and Chapter 7 introduces a character who is also an absolute blast to write about. ...

    May 9, 2010
  • YWS Re: How to Respond to Critiques

    Here's a question. What happens if you get a review that is simply crude and unhelpful. Like, "wow, this is crap. you suck."? Do you report it?

    Apr 12, 2010
  • Research Re: Science Project: Invasive Species! Help!

    You should be able to tell how many pages you have in MS Word... As for research, government agencies are always good resources. If you live in the US, the ...

    Apr 7, 2010
  • Writers Corner Re: Should I throw out this idea?

    Sounds all right. Just make sure you give him substantial reasons for wanting to off himself, and not just a bunch of cliche angst.

    Apr 2, 2010
  • Writing Tips Re: Minorities

    Another question. How does one avoid the "token" minority in a story?

    Mar 23, 2010
  • Writing Tips Re: Minorities

    I know that some people get mad when there aren't members of minorities (black, GLBT, etc.) in stories. I personally think that having them and stereotyping them to death or ...

    Mar 23, 2010
  • Research Re: norse and greek mythology

    Jormundr? You mean Jormungand, the Midgard Serpent? And I'm confused. DO you need more villains? Just google "greek monsters" or "norse monsters". Here's a list of Greek ones. That's a ...

    Mar 10, 2010
  • Research Re: norse and greek mythology

    I could easily ace a test about either mythology, but I can't help you. You need to give us more information. What do you need help with? Do you have ...

    Mar 10, 2010


I’ll paraphrase Thoreau here... Rather than love, than money, than faith, than fame, than fairness, give me truth.
— Christopher Johnson McCandless