User avatar

Merlin34

  • Fiction Discussion Re: Ten(+) Rules for Writing Fiction

    I think one of the biggest rules for writing is, "Don't have an ego."

    Feb 25, 2010
  • Fiction Discussion Re: Ten(+) Rules for Writing Fiction

    I disagree with number 3. Sure, "said" should be the main word to use, and "expectorated", "averred", and other such words should never ever be in a book, but what's ...

    Feb 22, 2010
  • Writing Activities Re: Character Answer Game [2]

    Xavier: Scream and run. Lily: Scream and run. Wolf: Kill it and make some tiger-burgers. Lord Latrapi: Try to escape if possible. If not, kill the tiger. Merenor: Hide in ...

    Feb 4, 2010
  • Fiction Discussion Re: Characters anything but average-looking

    Green eyes are actually more common among certain ethnic groups, like Celtic, Germanic, and Icelandic peoples.

    Feb 1, 2010
  • Fiction Discussion Re: Is this a good name?

    I'm not sure. You shouldn't make a name that people wouldn't be able to pronounce, and I cannot pronounce that at all. Is it "Gayr-win"? "Gey-er-win"? Something else?

    Jan 31, 2010
  • Writing Activities Re: Book in a sentence

    Xavier's Quest: Boy must find his way home after stumbling through a portal into another world. Kalu, Newborn Spirit: Newborn animal spirit must discover what he is and save the ...

    Jan 31, 2010
  • Fiction Discussion Re: Characters anything but average-looking

    In every book there is a character that has green eyes, or red hair, or a killer body. What's wrong with green eyes (I assume by green, you mean bright ...

    Jan 30, 2010
  • Writing Activities Re: Character Answer Game [2]

    Merenor: Any specific shadow on the ground. What would be your first thought if you walked in on someone who was naked?

    Jan 20, 2010
  • Writing Activities Re: hehe, Character Q and A

    I'll use Merenor. Q: What's your full name and what is it's meaning? Merenor for it's meaning, my parents never told me. Q: Where is your favorite place and what ...

    Jan 20, 2010
  • Fiction Discussion Re: need help with knowing more about a subgenre.

    Also, where are the paranormal romances with creatures besides vampires, werewolves, and angels? I want a VALKYRIE, dammit!

    Jan 18, 2010
  • Fiction Discussion Re: On Breaking Out of the Mold With Fantasy Races

    I don't like horses either. Too darn smelly. Carnivorous mounts are bad ideas though, since they will likely require A LOT of meat, unless they are cold-blooded. Still, cold-blooded creatures ...

    Jan 18, 2010
  • Fiction Discussion Re: On Breaking Out of the Mold With Fantasy Races

    One thing I've noticed is that in a lot of fantasy worlds, the ordinary, non-magical animals, are all ripped directly from Earth. Rarely do I see an author make their ...

    Jan 17, 2010
  • Media Reviews Re: Amazing Books

    The Mirror of Merlin and The Fires of Merlin. And there's also another amazing book. It's called Maradonia and the Seven Bridges. It is so wonderful! [/extremesarcasm]

    Jan 3, 2010
  • Fiction Discussion Re: Inspiration vs. Rip-Offs

    Okay, I changed the title. As for me, I think that inspiration is taking an idea and putting an original twist on it. Rip-offs would be having a short protagonist ...

    Dec 29, 2009
  • Fiction Discussion Re: Inspiration vs. Rip-Offs

    Where do you draw the line between taking inspiration from a story and just plain ripping it off?

    Dec 29, 2009


If all pulled in one direction, the world would keel over.
— Yiddish proverb