User avatar

Merlin34

  • Writing Tutorials Re: Wolves in Writing

    Canis lupus... one of the most common animals in fiction. Their roots in stories go back thousands of years, from the vicious Fenrir of Norse mythology to the beautiful, mysterious ...

    Aug 16, 2010
  • Fantasy Novels Re: Phoenix Saga Chapter 1 (Edited)

    I liked this. The beginning seemed a bit awkward, and there were a couple grammatical errors here and there, but then it really took off. There were a lot of ...

    Jul 10, 2010
  • Writing Tips Re: The Fantasy Novelist's Exam

    My story racks up bout 2 yeses, and 3 maybes. These two questions were interesting to me. "Would "a clumsy cooking wench more comfortable with a frying pan than a ...

    Jul 5, 2010
  • Lounge, The Re: Background Check Center

    Hai guys, The "America Library of Poetry" is a complete scam. I submitted a poem to them a while back, and got a letter today, listing me as a "semi-finalist" ...

    Jun 26, 2010
  • Research Archives Re: Cracked Ribs

    He was deep in the woods (checking traps he had set), and the story has to do with Norse mythology. The giant wolf was sent to kill someone else.

    Jun 24, 2010
  • Writers Corner Re: Touch typing with ten fingers

    I do kind of a weird mix of touch typing and hunt and peck. I use only my index fingers and thumbs but I can still go like a speed ...

    Jun 22, 2010
  • Writing Tips Re: The Fantasy Novelist's Exam

    Some of the questions are legitimate (like the ones about research), but others are kinda... mean. Now, if you're tripping questions left and right, maybe the story should be left ...

    Jun 22, 2010
  • Research Archives Re: Cracked Ribs

    He was checking his trapline when it attacked him. I know that real wolves wouldn't be likely to do that, but as the guy says when he wakes up, "Not ...

    Jun 22, 2010
  • Research Archives Re: Cracked Ribs

    So, in one of my WIP's, Winter of Winds , my protagonist "falls" (actually he's attacked by a wolf the size of a minivan) and sustains some pretty nasty injuries. ...

    Jun 22, 2010
  • Research Re: Time Travel Survey

    1. Where would you travel to? - Probably Ancient Greece or the Permian Era. 2. Would you time travel for vacation? - Heck yes. 3. Would you ever consider moving, ...

    Jun 22, 2010
  • Lounge, The Re: Is Self Publishing really that Bad?

    I think that self-publishing just has that stigma--you printed it yourself because it sucks too much to get it published via a real publisher.

    Jun 11, 2010
  • Research Re: Need a Myhtological Monster!!!!

    You could try nagas. They're humans with snake tails for legs.

    Jun 7, 2010
  • Lounge, The Re: I need your tips!

    Make sure that spoken words are natural for the characters speaking them. Urban slang would be out of place coming from the mouth of an eighty year-old college professor, as ...

    Jun 4, 2010
  • Fantasy Novels Re: The Hidden Legend Chapter 1

    To be frank, this piece has some serious problems. While reading, my internal cliche detector was going haywire. You seemed to just have the standard cliche fantasy world at first, ...

    Jun 2, 2010
  • Information Desk Archive Re: YWS Radio: Campfire Edition!

    I'm on but I dunno what to do.

    May 31, 2010


Who knew paper and ink could be so vicious.
— Kathryn Stockett, The Help