z

Young Writers Society

Tim Burton Style Analysis

Random avatar

Reviews: 3
Wed Dec 14, 2011 2:31 am
View Likes
TheLonleyJester says...

Cinematic techniques help a movie become more entertaining therefore everyone uses them. Different elements can create different moods. Directors all have unique styles of making movies. Tim Burton uses lighting and different angles to contrast fantasy with reality and show the strength of different characters.
Burton uses lighting to show fantasy and reality in his movies. In the film Charlie and the Chocolate Factory high key lighting represents fantasy. The lighting is used in Willy Wonka’s factory showing that it is every kid’s dream to visit it. Although it is his fantasy, Charlie knows that a fantasy is all it ever will be. To represent this low key lighting is used in Charlie’s home to show that the reality of his life is there living in poverty. This pattern continues in the cult classic Edward Scissorhands. The town that Edward is welcomed into is in high lighting to signify that it is the life that he never had. He wants to be accepted and loved and this is the place that his wish comes true. Unfortionatly we know that his fantasy is unrealistic and there is no way he can live normally. His sad life he must live is inside an empty mansion which is shot in low lighting signifying the lonely reality of his home. Lighting gives you an idea of what is real and what is only a fantasy.
Burton uses angles to show the level of power of characters. A good example is in the movie Big Fish during the conversation between Edward and Karl different angles are used between them. A low angle is used on Edward showing that he is small and weak. The love angle makes him look as though he is pathetic and you can look down upon him. On the other hand, Karl is shot using a high angle making him look larger and more powerful then he already is. This angle shows that he is Edwards’s superior. In Edward Scissorhands during the scene where Edward is making an ice sculpture Kim is shot in a high angle. This signifies that she is truly happy and on top of the world. At the moment she feels nothing can bring her down.
Spoiler! :
At a later part in the film Jim dies. His dead body is in a low angle showing he is weak. You cannot get any lower then death.
Burton creates a visual of who is the higher being using angles.
Tim Burton is a master at making movies taking full advantage of cinematic techniques creating a sense of power in characters and contrasting fantasy with reality.

161 Reviews

Reviews: 161
Wed Dec 14, 2011 2:39 am
View Likes
NightWriter says...

This is an interesting analysis. You actually have a really unique touch upon it; one that explores it deeply. I've never thought about these movies in this way until now.

high key lighting represents fantasy.

To be honest, I never knew that, but since you've said it, it makes perfect sense.

Well done!

NightWriter x
raised by wolves // brought up on words.

11 Reviews

Reviews: 11
Wed Dec 14, 2011 3:06 am
View Likes
shloka19 says...

Hey!
So I really liked your essay, clearly you've put in much thought behind it. Just a few nitpicks~
TheLonleyJester wrote:Cinematic techniques help a movie become more entertaining therefore everyone uses them.

This is awkwardly worded, and it's even worse that it is the first line. How about "Everyone uses cinematic techniques because it helps a movie become more entertaining".
TheLonleyJester wrote:Tim Burton uses lighting and different angles to contrast fantasy with reality and to show the strength of different characters.

The "to" makes it more coherent.
TheLonleyJester wrote:The lighting is used in Willy Wonka’s factory showing that it is every kid’s dream to visit it.

This sentence is similar to your first one. How about "The lighting used in Willy Wonka's factory shows that it is every kid's dream to visit it". Avoid to-be verbs (is, was, were) as much as possible (I used to use these a lot until my college english class :P It makes the sentence a lot more interesting)
TheLonleyJester wrote:Unfortunately we know that his fantasy is unrealistic and there is no way he can live normally. His sad life he must live is inside an empty mansion which is shot in low lighting signifying the lonely reality of his home.

How about reworking the second sentence as "The sad life which he must live within an empty mansion..." The "is" makes the sentence confusing.
TheLonleyJester wrote:A good example is the movie Big Fish; during the conversation between Edward and Karl different angles are used between them.

TheLonleyJester wrote:Tim Burton is a master at making movies that take full advantage of cinematic techniques; thus creating a sense of power in characters and contrasting fantasy with reality.

I'm really sorry if the review was too nitpicky--because you said it's an English essay I you thought could use all the help you could get. But seriously, this essay is really really good; it just needs a few things fixed. Keep writing!
“Our greatest fear is not that we are inadequate. It is our light, not our darkness, that frightens us. We ask ourselves, ‘who am I to be brilliant, gorgeous, handsome, talented and fabulous?’ Actually, who am I not to be?”--Marianne Williamson

I have my books and my poetry to protect me.
— Paul Simon