z

Young Writers Society

Loss - (emotion despair)

29 Reviews

Reviews: 29
Sat Nov 26, 2011 6:14 pm
Benrobertringrose says...

I watch mesmerized by the faltering flames of a dying fire. I picture the quizzical expression that must be etched across my tattered face. Desperately, I struggle to shake myself from this trance that has consumed me, but its shackles are tight and I can no longer break free. Defeated, I sit and watch the fire. Playfully, the great flames flicker towards me, they move with an elegancy a sophistication that I yearn to match. It dawns on me that the warmth of the fire cannot reach me in the secluded depths of my mental despair. Determined, I try to reach out for the flames, I hunger for their embrace to rid me of the cold that plagues my bones. But my arms will not obey, they do not move as I bid them.

My gaze returns to the fire; I gradually notice a change in the flames. They come so close, again, I try to touch them but they mislead me, dancing away. They mock me now as if aware of the internal battle I fight. At the very thought of fight the memories flood back to me. They rush over me like an oncoming wave, I try to flee them but to no avail. My eyes dart left and right to discover I’m surrounded by people. They all wear similar expressions, eyes half closed gazing into the fire, they are dressed in a uniform that seems so familiar but I can’t quite place it. All filthy, mud caked upon their mournful faces. Some have dried blood on them some fresh, if it’s their own or someone else’s I cannot tell. Panic stricken I try to call out, to plea for help, but the ability to do so seems to have deserted me.

I linger close to breaking point, though I’m only marginally aware. I desperately try to win this mental battle but the weight of my despair will not be budged. Disorientated thoughts of home enter my mind. I see my little girl Lacy upon a swing, her mother pushing her laughing all the while. For them both I know I must not give in. A surge of strength runs through me, I now know how to break free. I have to face what has happened. I let myself go and find myself back at the start, where it all began.

I watch John raise his head back and look to the clear blue sky. I notice his lips move slightly as they send a silent prayer. I look around and see more and more of my brothers doing the same thing. I contemplate sending a prayer myself, a wish for protection, but I haven’t once yet and I decide it best not too start now. Big Mike turns to me, his usual cock-sure smile missing. He plants a great hand on my shoulder. I notice a look in his face I have never seen before. It takes me a second to register that it's fear.

We stare across the battlefield all too aware of what’s to come. In the far distance we see their numbers lined up, they march towards us at an agonisingly slow pace. I wish they would hurry, the wait is killing me. Thankfully the order out that we are to meet them in the field, the soft clicks and clatters of men checking their weapons ring around me. Other than that there is an eerie silence. A strong bottle of liquor is passed amongst the men. I take a long drag. I let it sit in my mouth then ever so slowly allow it to slide down my throat. It burns my insides, I picture a forest set up in flames and imagine that happening inside me. I look at my brothers with renewed vigor. I catch eyes with John and he nods, I hear Big Mike roar something incoherent beside me. And then we are all shouting, screaming at the top of our voices, I wonder how much of it makes sense but it helps all the same. I hear myself shouting for my wife and child, I hear myself curse the gods and what they have put us through.

I’m running. Big Mike and John beside me. I hear John fire into the distance and realize I should probably do the same. I lift my treasured Enfield rifle to my shoulder and release a few rounds. The kick of the rifle crashes into my shoulder. Then it hits me, I’m no longer afraid. In the madness of the battle my fear forgotten I lift my rifle now picking targets as the enemy come in range. I can no longer pick out individual sounds, there is just noise, the noise of bullets rushing through the air. I sense bullets coming close but I keep running. I then hear a noise I can interpret. A scream from Big Mike beside me, time slows as I watch helpless as two bullets crash into his chest. I almost stop to help him but I know I cant. With deft accuracy from such a range only one thing could be the cause of Big Mikes death.

I scream, scream so loud surely my brothers can hear me. But they cant. Powerlessly I shout sniper at the top of my voice, no one hears. John is still beside me, the best shot in our squadron he is focused only on firing, reloading and firing again. I scan desperately for cover and run for it, a ditch in the ground where a bomb had landed. I motion for John to follow and he finally notices, I run and jump landing face down in the ditch but safe for a moment. I turn to see John sprinting towards me. He is close when they hit him; his determined sprinting face is replaced by one of sheer shock. The bullet catches him low in the stomach. His face turns a ghostly pale as he crumbles to his knees. I climb to my feet to drag him into cover, I call to him to tell him I’m coming that he will be ok when another bullet strikes him in the face, he is unrecognizable to me now. I stumble back down into the ditch. Exhausted I close my eyes.

I’m back at the fire now. It’s all but out. I feel hot salty tears rush down my face. I command my hands to wipe them they obey at last. I will never forget my fallen brothers. But I must move on and live my life. I look to the sky, sending a silent thanks.
Last edited by Benrobertringrose on Sun Nov 27, 2011 10:48 am, edited 2 times in total.

249 Reviews

Reviews: 249
Sat Nov 26, 2011 9:19 pm
murtuza says...

Hey, Bob!

You've made such a great story here and I have enjoyed reading this a lot! The chronicles of a soldier during war and how he managed to gain such wonderful friends who are like brothers and then suddenly losing them in an instant, shattered by the bullets - a wonderful story.

I simply love how, at the beginning, you've managed to personify the flames of that fire. The descriptions and imagery were excellent and you've weaved the tale beautifully.

Once thing that I would suggest doing is to break up those long walls of words and make them into small paragaphs so that the reader does not get intimidated by the sheer amount of lines that he/she would have to digest. Also, that would make the entire reading experience much more easier.

This is a great read and I hope to read more. So keep the ink flowing!

Murtuza
:)
It's not about the weight of what's spoken.
It's about being heard.

204 Reviews

Reviews: 204
Sun Nov 27, 2011 2:27 am
crescent says...

Desperately I struggle to shake myself from this trance that has consumed me, but its shackles are tight and I can no longer break free.

Comma after "Desperately". You need commas after introductory phrases!

Defeated I sit and watch the fire.
Playfully the great flames flicker towards me, they move with an elegancy a sophistication that I yearn to match.

Determined I try to reach out for the flames, I hunger for their embrace to rid me of the cold that plagues my bones.

Again, again, the COMMAS! Don't let those poor little commas rest on the cold, dusty typewriter when they could be sitting wanted in a lovely sentence.

My gaze returns to the fire, I gradually notice a change in the flames.

Comma splice. Replace the comma with a semi-colon. You have two connected sentences. Therefore, you must use either a semi-colon or a conjunction. The lil' comma doesn't have enough strength to separate two sentences by itself.

They come so close, again I try to touch them but they mislead me dancing away.

Comma after "again" and in between "me" and "dancing". It's especially important that you place that comma in front of "dancing" because without it, your sentence makes little sense.

INSERT COMMA WORDS

I let myself go and find myself back at the start, where it all begun.

I think "begun" should be "began" because you're writing in present tense.

Of course they aren’t my biological brothers, but I love each and every one of them as if they are.

This sentence really annoys me. I think the reader will be able to come to the conclusion that these soldiers are not the MC's biological brothers by themselves. This sentence causes people's minds to wander off to other places, leaving the present: where the action is taking place.

It takes me a second to register that its fear.

No, you didn't. *Shudders in fear* You-- How could you? You used the wrong "its". "Its" is the possessive for "it",
it's" is the conjunction for "it is". Now, would you like to explain to this lil' monster over here that the fear is not "its"?

We stare across the battlefield all to aware of what’s to come.

*too

In the far distance we see their numbers lined up, they march towards us at an excruciating pace.

Are they walking at a "extremely painful; causing intense suffering; unbearably distressing; torturing: " pace? http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/excruciating I think that this word is a bit out of place. You might want to use a synonym for sluggish.

I wish they would hurry, the waiting is killing me.

*wait

Thankfully the order rings out that we are to meet them in the field, the soft clicks and clatters of men checking their weapons ring around me.
The use of "ring" is a bit redundant here.

I let it sit in my mouth then ever so slowly allow it too slide down my throat.

*to

I’m back at the fire now. It’s all but out. I feel hot salty tears rush down my face. I command my hands to wipe them they obey at last. I will never forget my fallen brothers. But I must move on and live my life. I look to the sky, sending a silent thanks.

I feel that this part of your prose is written at a different pace than the rest. It feels a bit rushed.

Grammatically speaking, the missing commas were a nightmare... AHHHHHH!!!! Please review comma placement and semi-colon placement. I did not correct all of the comma omissions. You should be able to correct them on your own after a bit of reviewing.

Now let's talk story-wise. You begin your story with the MC in an "AHHH! I'm dying" mood, and you begin to reflect what's happened. Then, the story ends with the MC being all courageous, "I have to live on". The problem I have with this is that you don't end where you start reflecting, and it's a bit confusing when you do that because I expect that you'll write up until the point where you begin. It's also misleading, because at the end of your story, it sounds like the MC is going to survive, while at the beginning you give the impression that he's dying. Besides that, your story was engaging and interesting to read.

Fix your grammar and add consistency to your reflection. Good luck in your competition, and happy writing!

:elephant: Here's your free elephant

-Crescent
Please take care to use good grammar when making a post!

"grammer" 1519 matches on YWS *twitches*

Rydia is the ruler of the world. :(

202 Reviews

Reviews: 202
Thu Dec 01, 2011 6:45 pm
Blues says...

Hey Ben, I'm here as requested!

Ooh, competition? What's the criteria? Good Luck! Anyway, if I'm too harsh, apologies, just unintentional :)

The Good bits

I love what this poem is about - so true for today's soldiers. This is something which'd be very touching for a soldier to read. So well done :) I love how you give a little nickname for Mike - I'm sure they'd do something like that. And the Enfield Rifle - a nice piece of Jargon which fits well in the piece.

Another thing I really liked was how he feels really sad at the beginning but is a bit better at the end. A positive outlook = :D

Improvements
Nitpicks:

Between the bit where he's recounting it and the intro, could you put a * or *** to separate it? :)

know I can't. With deft accuracy from such a range only one thing could be the cause of Big Mike'ss death.

I scream, scream so loud surely my brothers can hear me. But they can't.

You missed out the apostrophes here.

Also, as Crescent said, there were a lot of places where you needed commas. I'm not going to go through them all as she's done it already :)

Other stuff:
Description! I know that sometimes I can't really say much on this, but when I read other's, it's obvious it's lacking (if only I could see my own work with fresh eyes :) ) It seems to take place on the battlefield. What's it like? Can you smell death? Is there blood and gore everywhere? You don't need to be graphic, but just enough to know what we can hear, see, taste, smell and touch. 5 Senses! :D

Second thing, I'd like to hear some thoughts from the actual narrator. What's he thinking? Quote it directly. It'd help bring in some more emotion.
Overall

Overall, I liked it. I liked it, although I don't think it's perfect. Do rewrite it, so that you can start again. Leave editing for last, but best rewrite it. I find, for me, it's the best way to make sure you come back fresh. Watch out for the grammar as well, you don't want people getting put off from your work, which is actually good :) I hope my improvements help you out!

And...
Spoiler! :
GOOD LUCK!!

Keep Writing!

Mac

"Be yourself" is not advice. It's an existential crisis waiting to happen.
— Hank Green