z

Young Writers Society

Darren Criss - a portrait!

489 Reviews

Reviews: 489
Tue Aug 02, 2011 12:43 am
Dreamwalker says...

Alright, guys, so I realized something very interesting today. In all my years on YWS, I've only ever posted artwork that is rather on the cartoony side. And although I will always adore anime and disney-esque stylizations, my home field has always been realism.

So this is a portrait I did of Darren Criss. Unfortunately, my scanner hates me and decided that it didn't want to pick up on half the shading. Because it lacks that essential shading, his dynamics are a little off :/

Either way, please feel free to rip this apart. I'm kind of disappointed with it to be completely honest simply because of that lack of shading visible, but oh well.

And that would be him!
~Walker
Suppose for a moment that the heart has two heads, that the heart has been chained and dunked in a glass booth filled with river water. The heart is monologuing about hesitation and fulfillment while behind the red brocade the heart is drowning. - R.S

Random avatar

Reviews: 22
Tue Aug 02, 2011 12:50 am
View Likes
Grandison says...

Oh wow, this is nice! I've always wanted to draw and unfortunately, never obtained the talent for it. Well at first I thought it was Robert Pattinson, forgive me, and then I saw who you said it was. Wasn't quite sure who that was and so I googled it and I must say this portrait is really close to the real thing! Nice job. You have NO reason to be disappointed, this is really good and I'd definitely pin it on my wall...if I had the actual picture. The portrait shows how you took your time and concentrated in vital areas like that of his hair or his facial expression. This is truly the work of an artist. It looks well thought out and not rushed. So be proud of it, I like it!

Grandison

P.s. I really love his eyebrows! Very detailed like his are ; )

14 Reviews

Reviews: 14
Tue Aug 02, 2011 1:16 am
View Likes
cjscoot says...

OH HAI!!
I saw the word Darren...and then I saw the word Criss...and I was like "What?!?! Where?!?"
Hahaha.
You've done a really good job with this portrait..I looked at it before I read the description and the first thing I screamed to myself was "Shading!!!"...but then I read the descrption and realized your scanner was stupid. So...I can't really critique this because you already pointed out what I was going to say.
Really, though, this is a great portrait, even without the shading. I love the depth in his eyes; I'd love to see what he's looking at. You did an amazing job with the hair, too.
I'm not sure if this is because I can't see the shading or not, but his nose looks a tad bit big. It probably is because of the shading. Oh well.
The one thing I have to say is that I don't think his lips match up with what he's seeing...if that makes sense. His lips are kind of in a grimace and his eyes look very soft and gentle. Do you get what I mean? Neither do I. Hahaha.
Anyways, this is a really great portrait. I'm feeling a bit crazy at the moment, so if none of it makes sense just disregard this entire post.
XOXO
Cassie
"You. Are. Not. Leaving. Me." Ian O'Shea, The Host.
Perseverance is failing 19 times and succeding the 20th.
Do not go where the path may lead; go instead where there is no path, and leave a trail.

205 Reviews

Reviews: 205
Tue Aug 02, 2011 4:42 pm
View Likes
Kagi says...

Hai.

*frowns* I think you did a 'free' reveiw for me the other day, what I mean by that is, that I didn't request it. Anyway.

The first thing I noticed about this was his ears. This being a 'realism enhancing drawing' the ear caught my eye. I'm not sure about you but I've never seen any ear looking like that. I could see that you had tried to get the general idea but it still looked, to me, rather odd. Look, here's a drawing of a realisitic ear.
--->

You can almost see the movement of the ear itself, how each curve smoothens out to perfection and how the close bit of the ear is shaded quite dark. Try and incorporate this look to your ear and you'll have more of a realistic look, as that is what you're going for. Also, if you look closely, the ear is out of proportion. It seems quite small for the size of his head, all of these little things need to be taken into consideration. Saying that, ears are never an easy thing to draw. They are infact the hardest part of a human body to draw. Here is a website that should help you with drawing ears.

His nose. It comes to a very sharp V at the end, not as round and curvy as the bridge and, quite blunt. Now, everyone's nose is different but this nose is too straight and too cut off to be 'real'. Maybe it's the scanner, I don't know, but you need to look closely to see what I mean. I'm being nit-picky. Should I blame the scanner? :lol:

His mouth too, is very ouckered and extremely long. It seems to go on forever and it's quite flat too. It needs to curl up at the edges, and I don't mean 'smiling' necessarily, it just needs the plumpness that lips do have.I suggest taking a look at this too. The website is really good at giving you step by step instructions that'll help you along, especially real portraits.

Lastly, if you look at his right sleeve, it's unaturaly stiff and posed.It should flop down and hang off his arm or else wrap tightly around the muscle.

That's really all I have but of course if you have any questions then let me know.
Keep drawing and good luck with editing!

Kagi xoxo
Got YWS?

If, when you mean to type yes you type yws, you know you belong. :P

126 Reviews

Reviews: 126
Tue Aug 02, 2011 8:18 pm
View Likes
Mickixoxo says...

Ahh I didn't know you were good with realism!! This is very good, the shading on the shirt = PERFECT. It looks like a real shirt, definitely. I love Darren Criss, he's amazing. First saw him in A Very Potter Musical, then when I heard he was going to be on Glee I freaked out, FREAKED OUT. Haha. I was running around all of my friends going "DARREN CRISS IS GONNA BE ON GLEE!!! DARREN CRISS!!!! I LOVE HIM!!!" but.... they had no idea who I was talking about.... (They all thought I was crazy. Oh yeah?! Well who's crazy NOW?! HA!)

Anyway, the first thing I did after seeing this, was going to google, typing in "Darren Criss" and looking for the picture you used. I found itt ;P
Before I found the picture, I would have said that you drew his ear, first of all, strangely wiggly shaped and pointy at the top... now? I say, "Dang... Darren as some freaky ears O_o". As his ears are actually shaped funny, I say that you drew them very well haha

Now, as you've already pointed it out, there's no shading [in the facial area] though that was from your scanner. This makes me sad :( stupid scanner... now I can't see your full potential D: (though I'm sure it's amazing)

Looking at the original picture, I see that you have the same problem as me. The tilting of the head! Agh, it's just so hard. No matter how hard I try, I can never get the angle of the head correct! Dunno why though....

Overall, LOVE IT. I knew who it was right away ;P
Darren is on my top two favorite actors list... right behind Logan Lerman, of course.
Please continue posting realism on here! I loved it ^^

Oh and I LOVE THE HAIR!!! Perfecttttt it looks so poofy and smooth and I just wanna reach in the picture and mess it up XDD hahaha good job ;P
If there's a 50/50 chance of getting something wrong go for it anyway because there is also a 50/50 chance of getting it right

I became insane, with long intervals of horrible sanity. ~Edgar Allen Poe

65 Reviews

Reviews: 65
Wed Aug 03, 2011 7:39 pm
reaganpark says...

Hi!

I think this is really good! I don't know much about drawing, but I love his eyes and his hair.

The arm seemed bent in a weird sorta way, but I don't know.

Anyways, this is awesome. Never stop drawing! :D
WE ARE DAUGHTERS of our Heavenly Father, who loves us, and we love Him.

82 Reviews

Reviews: 82
Thu Aug 04, 2011 2:21 pm
gleek456 says...

Hi there!

When I saw the title of your drawing I immediately clicked on it! I love Darren Criss! As Harry Potter or Blaine Anderson! <3 Thank you so much for drawing this!

I really like how you drew Darren, though I have a few nit-picks:

- the ear sort of resembled an elf's, no offence! There's a realistic drawing of an ear above, provided by Kagi.
- The jawline is sort of big, you should just slim it down a bit.

I honestly love his hair, the eyes, the watch, it is an amazing Darren Criss! You are a great artist! The position of Darren is perfect! I love your drawing, I can't wait to see more! Awesome job and keep it up!

- gleek456 <3
YOU'VE GOT THAT ONE THING

I’ll paraphrase Thoreau here... Rather than love, than money, than faith, than fame, than fairness, give me truth.
— Christopher Johnson McCandless