A breath of fresh air - draft 2

100 Reviews

Reviews: 100
Sun Jun 05, 2011 12:05 pm
Hecate says...

Rip it apart :)

A Breath Of Fresh Air
Haskovo, Bulgaria, 2007
Boulevard Stefan Stambolov 27: the address of a large, crumbling building, a reminiscent of the Communist era. The building has twelve floors, sixty apartments. On the surface, it is just an ordinary building, but there is something else beneath. And it’s not pretty. Beneath the surface, it is filled with pain. It is filled with people who breathe the hopelessness and desperation in the air, and become infected with it themselves. Rarely does anyone break free from here. This is a prison of the mind; it holds you captive until you are strong enough to take a breath of fresh air.
It is here that Elena has spent the past twenty years of her young life with her parents. They own a two bedroom apartment, with old shabby furniture from the days of her grandma. Her father is an alcoholic who works at the local cigar factory. He’s rarely home. Her mother is unemployed. The recent economic crisis made her redundant. She used to work in a clothing factory.
Elena sells shoes in a new store downtown. She sells shoes, because her parents could not afford to put her through college. She sells shoes and goes home each night and breathes the hopelessness and desperation in the air and becomes infected by it. She sells shoes and refuses to see a better life.
Except when she opens her art book. It is only there where she breathes a breath of fresh air. She’s lost among the pages of her art- art depicting the depression, the hopelessness, the putrid air. And yet, art that somehow holds a ray of hope.
Here she is now, in her room. Her art book in front of her, her pencil in her hand. She’s in a world of her own. The lines grow on the page, and she can’t believe she’s the one making them appear there. They are large, rough and unforgiving. They scream at her, they become violent, they drink. They’re her father. She scowls. She can hear him in the living room, yelling at her mother:
‘I work all day, I expect a meal on the table. Where is my meal?’
‘You’re drunk.’ Her mother says feebly. ‘You know we ran out of money. All we have is a bit of bread left over from yesterday, but I was saving it for Elena-’
‘Twenty years ago, and we were living like kings! We had food on the table, places to go, work- we had it all! And now, what do we have now, huh? Nothing. We have nothing.’ He shakes his head bitterly.
‘Well, maybe if you hadn’t gambled all our savings at a poker game…’ Her mother begins feebly, the slightest hint of accusation in her voice.
‘Shut up, bitch.’ He yells, and covers his head with his hands, as if to protect himself from reality.
‘Elena’ He yells even louder, as if she couldn’t hear him already. ‘Elena, get over here, you ungrateful whore.’
She does as she’s told. She knows better than to argue.
‘Yes father?’ She asks, lowering her head.
‘I need money.’ That statement makes Elena shiver. It makes the hairs on her back stand in fear. It makes her heart heavy.
‘I have no money, father.’ Elena says, not daring to look up.
He grabs her and pushes her against a wall.
‘Why not? Do you not work, you lazy cunt?’
‘I gave you all I had yesterday.’ Elena says, and suddenly looks at him, hate in her eyes. Dare she speak one word against him, and in front of him at that? The anger, the humiliation, the hurt- it is suddenly too much.
‘And you spent it on a bottle of Vodka, you selfish, sick bastard!’ As soon as she utters the words, she regrets them. Not because they weren’t true, but because of what is about to follow.
He raises his hand as if to slap her, but her mother stands between them and grabs his hand. Elena’s eyes widen as she takes in the action before her. For the first time in their twenty years of marriage, her mother dares to fight back. And she sees her mother’s frail figure contrasted by his large, rough one, doing her best to protect the one thing she has in this world. And Elena’s heart breaks. It breaks because love does not conquer all, like movies and stories try and teach us. It breaks because the pure love of this woman for her child is not enough to protect her.
‘Gavril, Gavril leave her,’ she says, determination in her voice ‘She’s your flesh and blood, and she doesn’t deserve this…’
She trails off as she sees the fury in her husband’s eyes. A fury well known to her, one that inspires fear in her frail body. He grabs her. Elena yells. And in a fraction of a second her mother has landed on the glass table. The glass shatters. The little hope in this home shatters. There’s blood everywhere, as the pieces of broken glass cut into her head, her hands, her body. She chokes and spits out glass.
‘Mother!’ Elena cries. ‘Mother, hold on, mother! I love you!’ Desperation. Hopelessness. So much of it.
An ambulance is called. Her father is too stunned to realize what to do. The paramedics have taken her mother, and she follows them to the hospital. Her father is with her now. They do not speak. They wait anxiously.
The minutes seem like hours. The large clock on the wall is their only distraction. Tick. Tick. Tick. Tick. A little girl has scraped her knee, her mother washes the wound and binds it with some old cloth. A caress on the cheek, followed by a gentle kiss and the girl bolts out of the door again Tick. Tick. Tick. They’re at the beach now. It’s happier times -when they had money. Her mother builds a sand castle with her, her father lifts her up on his shoulders. High, high up. So she can see the world. So she can feel the freedom that comes with being so high up. Tick. Tick. Tick. Her daddy is drunk. She’s never seen him like this before. He’s a different person. He’s a different man. He just looks like her daddy. But her daddy would never hurt her mommy like that. He would never give mommy a black eye. Except he did. And he has been doing the same for the past twelve years. Tick. Tick. Tick. Minutes like hours.
The doctor comes out, a somber look on her face.
‘The skull was severely fractured,’ she says ‘from the impact. She lost too much blood. She was too frail to be able to handle this type of injury. We did everything we could. I’m terribly sorry. It’s hard to believe she fell though…’
Elena looks at the doctor, and she looks at her father. She’s sick of lying. Why should she? Why should she lie to help the murderer of her mother? She gets up and says, with a voice devout of any emotion:
‘She didn’t fall. He killed her. He couldn’t wait until she died. He killed her slowly each day, every single day he drank her life away. And today, he decided he couldn’t wait until she died. So he killed her.’
She runs out the hospital door before her father can say anything. She runs and doesn’t stop. She wishes she could run fast enough to escape reality. Tears stream down her cheeks, as the pain grasps her heart. She’s suffocating. The pain is so strong, it’s suffocating her. She stops in the middle of the streets and cries. She cries out loud, a cry of agony, pain and restraint that is finally giving way to freedom.
The funeral is the next day. She pays for it with money she had been hiding from her parents. Money she’d been saving up for tickets for her and her mother. Tickets to Paris, that would take them away from him to a beautiful place. To freedom. Not many people show up. Some neighbors and former colleagues from the clothing factory. Her father isn’t there. As if he’d dare to show his face. She doesn’t even care that he will be tried. It won’t bring her mother back.
She booked her ticket to Paris with the money she had left over. She won’t bring much. Some old clothes, her only shoes, a black and white photograph of her mother and her art book- all that matters to her.
She would be an artist in Paris. She would stop people on the streets of the city of love and ask to draw their portrait. She would charge them for it if they liked it enough to buy it. Maybe, in time she’d try and sell the drawings from her art book. Why not? It is filled with despair, death and hopelessness. It is filled with a life she wishes to forget. And if someone wants to buy it, they can have it. She would be gladly rid of it.
She is strong enough now. She takes a breath of fresh air and looks to the future, as the coffin is lowered inside the ground. She’s leaving this behind. She’s no longer infected with desperation and hopelessness. She stood up for herself, and her mother stood up for her. Her mother didn’t die so that she can remain imprisoned in a little apartment with a monster to suck the life out of her daughter. She’s breaking free from the prison that held her captive for so long, and with her, she’s taking the memory of a truly remarkable woman- her mother.

191 Reviews

Reviews: 191
Thu Jun 09, 2011 1:45 am
carbonCore says...

Heya Stela; sorry it took me a while to get to this. It's been hard to get free time lately.

So overall, this piece did not leave me hollow. It was strongly emotional -- well done on that. However, there is one technicality I'd love cleared up.

On the surface, it is just an ordinary building, but there is something else beneath. And it’s not pretty. Beneath the surface, it is filled with pain.

Right off the bat, I did this over-dramatic little wave of hands, and said "oh noooooo" in an exasperated voice. In other words, you start talking about all this awful desperation and pain in the very first paragraph, which I've come to expect only from low-quality angst pieces. You did not write a low-quality angst piece; you wrote art. It deserves much better.

My suggestion to you would be to put the whole desperation thing at the end of the paragraph. Spend the paragraph setting up the scene, describing it as if it is nothing special; then, at the end of the paragraph, smash my face into the emotional highway with a few well-chosen words describing the negative feelings within that building.This way you both get rid of an annoying, bad-first-impression-leaving paragraph, and make the opening that much more effective.

Other than that, very well done. There really isn't very much for me to say, though I would have loved to see the father suffer a little bit more. But that's neither here nor there. Good job!

Your servant,
cC
_

202 Reviews

Reviews: 202
Thu Jun 09, 2011 3:10 am
Octave says...

A Breath Of Fresh Air

Haskovo, Bulgaria, 2007

Boulevard Stefan Stambolov 27: the address of a large, crumbling building, a reminiscent of the Communist era. The building has twelve floors, sixty apartments. On the surface, it is I think it might be better if you use "it's". just an ordinary building, but there is something else beneath. Actually, I think the whole thing would flow better if you used more contractions. oo And it’s not pretty. Beneath the surface, it is filled with pain. It is filled with people who breathe the hopelessness and desperation in the air, and become infected with it themselves. Rarely does anyone break free from here. This is a prison of the mind; it holds you captive until you are strong enough to take a breath of fresh air. These last three sentences kind of annoy me because you're telling me all of it and it feels so contrived. oo"

It is here that Elena has spent the past twenty years of her young life with her parents. They own a two-bedroom apartment, with old shabby furniture from the days of her grandma. Her father is an alcoholic who works at the local cigar factory. He’s rarely home. Her mother is unemployed. The recent economic crisis made her redundant. She used to work in a clothing factory. Again, there's telling. And an infodump, at that. You might want to show me this, in addition to why I need to know. See, I strongly believe in dispersing information only when it's important and keeping mum on it otherwise.

Elena sells shoes in a new store downtown. She sells shoes, because her parents could not afford to put her through college. She sells shoes and goes home each night and breathes the hopelessness and desperation in the air and becomes infected by it. She sells shoes and refuses to see a better life. I like your prose, but again, I'm not sure where the story actually begins.

Except when she opens her art book. It is only there where she breathes a breath Breathes a breath sounds kind of weird. of fresh air. She’s lost among the pages of her art- art depicting the depression, the hopelessness, the putrid air. And yet, art that somehow holds a ray of hope.

Here she is now, in her room. Her art book in front of her, her pencil in her hand. She’s in a world of her own. The lines grow on the page, and she can’t believe she’s the one making them appear there. They are large, rough and unforgiving. They scream at her, they become violent, they drink. They’re her father. She scowls. She can hear him in the living room, yelling at her mother:

‘I work all day; I expect a meal on the table. Where is my meal?’

‘You’re drunk,her mother says feebly. ‘You know we ran out of money. All we have is a bit of bread left over from yesterday, but I was saving it for Elena-’

‘Twenty years ago, and we were living like kings! We had food on the table, places to go, work- we had it all! And now, what do we have now, huh? Nothing. We have nothing.’ He shakes his head bitterly. She can see this? Remember, we're in her point of view. What she doesn't see, we can't.

‘Well, maybe if you hadn’t gambled all our savings at a poker game…’ Her mother begins feebly Word repetition., the slightest hint of accusation in her voice.

‘Shut up, bitch.’ He yells, and covers his head with his hands Are you writing from omniscient third? It felt like third person close for a moment there., as if to protect himself from reality. ‘Elena,he yells Word repetition. Maybe shouts? even louder, as if she couldn’t hear him already. ‘Elena, get over here, you ungrateful whore.’ He's already turning out to be your standard character. I'd like to see more depth, please.

She does as she’s told. She knows better than to argue.

‘Yes father?’ She asks, lowering her head.

‘I need money.’ That statement makes Elena shiver. It makes the hairs on her back stand in fear. It makes her heart heavy.

‘I have no money, Father,’ Elena says, not daring to look up.

He grabs her and pushes her against a wall.

‘Why not? Do you not work, you lazy cunt?’ I don't see his train of thought. First, he's hungry, but then he forgets about the food and lunges for her instead. Also, he's shaping up to be a very erratic man, but a staple character nonetheless.

‘I gave you all I had yesterday,’ Elena says, and suddenly looks at him, hate in her eyes. Dare she speak one word against him, and in front of him at that? The anger, the humiliation, the hurt- it is suddenly too much. ‘And you spent it on a bottle of Vodka, you selfish, sick bastard!’ Don't change paragraphs if she's still the one speaking, unless it's to break apart a huge bit of dialog. As soon as she utters the words, she regrets them. Not because they weren’t true, but because of what is about to follow.

He raises his hand as if to slap her, but her mother stands between them and grabs his hand. Elena’s eyes widen as she takes in the action before her. For the first time in their twenty years of marriage, her mother dares to fight back And why would this time be different? oo. And she sees her mother’s frail figure contrasted by his large, rough one, doing her best to protect the one thing she has in this world. And Elena’s heart breaks. It breaks because love does not conquer all, like movies and stories try and teach us. It breaks because the pure love of this woman for her child is not enough to protect her. The last two sound a bit preachy to me. oo"

‘Gavril, Gavril leave her,’ she says, determination in her voice ‘She’s your flesh and blood, and she doesn’t deserve this…’

She trails off as she sees the fury in her husband’s eyes. A fury well known to her, one that inspires fear in her frail body. He grabs her. Elena yells. And in a fraction of a second her mother has landed on the glass table. The glass shatters. The little hope in this home shatters. There’s blood everywhere, as the pieces of broken glass cut into her head, her hands, her body. She chokes and spits out glass. ...What? oo"

‘Mother!’ Elena cries. ‘Mother, hold on, Mother! Maybe use Mom. Mother is so formal it makes their relationship much more distant than I think you want it to be. I love you!’ Desperation. Hopelessness. So much of it.

An ambulance is called. Her father is too stunned to realize what to do. The paramedics have taken her mother, and she Might want to use Elena, as the antecedent of she is Elena's mother. follows them to the hospital. Her father is with her now. They do not speak. They wait anxiously.

The minutes seem like hours. The large clock on the wall is their only distraction. Tick. Tick. Tick. Tick. A little girl has scraped her knee; her mother washes the wound and binds it with some old cloth. A caress on the cheek, followed by a gentle kiss, and the girl bolts out of the door again Tick. Tick. Tick. They’re at the beach now. It’s happier times -when they had money. Her mother builds a sand castle with her, her father lifts her up on his shoulders. High, high up. So she can see the world. So she can feel the freedom that comes with being so high up. Tick. Tick. Tick. Her daddy is drunk. She’s never seen him like this before. He’s a different person. He’s a different man. He just looks like her daddy. But her daddy would never hurt her mommy like that. He would never give mommy a black eye. Except he did. And he has been doing the same for the past twelve years. Tick. Tick. Tick. Minutes like hours.

The doctor comes out, a somber look on her face.

‘The skull was severely fractured,’ she says ‘from the impact. She lost too much blood. She was too frail to be able to handle this type of injury. We did everything we could. I’m terribly sorry. It’s hard to believe she fell though…’

Elena looks at the doctor, and she looks at her father. She’s sick of lying. Why should she? Why should she lie to help the murderer of her mother? She gets up and says, with a voice devoid of any emotion:

‘She didn’t fall. He killed her. He couldn’t wait until she died. He killed her slowly each day; every single day he drank her life away. And today, he decided he couldn’t wait until she died. So he killed her.’ The words are too harsh for her to say it with a void devoid of emotion. And devout of emotion is weird, to tell the truth, so maybe if you meant that she said it with a lot of emotion, you could use a different phrase?

She runs out the hospital door before her father can say anything. She runs and doesn’t stop. She wishes she could run fast enough to escape reality. Tears stream down her cheeks, as the pain grasps her heart. She’s suffocating. The pain is so strong, it’s suffocating her. It doesn't really feel so emotional to me, to be honest. She stops in the middle of the streets and cries. She cries out loud, a cry of agony, pain and restraint that is finally giving way to freedom.

The funeral is the next day. So quickly. oo" She pays for it with money she had been hiding from her parents. Money she’d been saving up for tickets for her and her mother. Tickets to Paris, that would take them away from him to a beautiful place. To freedom. Not many people show up. Some neighbors and former colleagues from the clothing factory. Her father isn’t there. As if he’d dare to show his face. Wouldn't he be in jail now? ._. Plus, wouldn't her body be examined, given the accusations she flung at her father? She doesn’t even care that he will be tried. It won’t bring her mother back.

She booked her ticket to Paris with the money she had left over. She won’t bring much. Some old clothes, her only shoes, a black and white photograph of her mother and her art book- all that matters to her.

She would be an artist in Paris. She would stop people on the streets of the city of love and ask to draw their portrait. She would charge them for it if they liked it enough to buy it. Maybe, in time she’d try and sell the drawings from her art book. Why not? It is filled with despair, death and hopelessness. It is filled with a life she wishes to forget. And if someone wants to buy it, they can have it. She would be gladly rid of it.

She is strong enough now. She takes a breath of fresh air and looks to the future, as the coffin is lowered inside the ground. She’s leaving this behind. She’s no longer infected with desperation and hopelessness. She stood up for herself, and her mother stood up for her. Her mother didn’t die so that she can remain imprisoned in a little apartment with a monster to suck the life out of her daughter. She’s breaking free from the prison that held her captive for so long, and with her, she’s taking the memory of a truly remarkable woman- her mother. Mmmh. I don't like these last few sentences. It feels common.

Okidoki. Your prose is beautiful, by the way. I love the flow, the way it seems to slip through my lips the way sand does through fingers. It's simple, sweet, and elegant. However, I'm going to have to disagree with Carbon.

I did not feel the emotion I felt this piece deserved. It tugged at my heartstrings twice - once during the fight (a brief moment, not during the whole fight), and once during the end, where I actually tasted freedom alongside her. But the rest? I'm sorry, but no. It fell kind of flat. (Maybe I'm just a little numb, though. >>")

Anyway, I'd like to explain why it didn't quite feel right to me. See, I liked the main character, I liked the voice of this piece, but I thought the antagonist was too much of a cardboard cut-out. He's the stock character in this whole piece, and whereas you did a wonderful job with the main character and her mother, the father is like something you bought from a supermarket - nothing special. He's like every other abusive father out there, positioned that way so there'd be drama and conflict, but not much else. I'd like more emotion and conflict from within Elena, to show that her father isn't so flat.

Also, your dialog felt stilted at times. Not many, but just sometimes. Maybe read it out loud and try to see if it works or not?

My biggest problem with this piece is that it got a little preachy sometimes, and not even in a unique way. You're preaching something I've heard a thousand times before, and though it's not good to preach at all, a unique message might have made it a little better. I'd rather you took out the preachy sentences though. Like Carbon said, that first paragraph is really annoying, as is the last one. The last few sentences were grating. They felt so obvious and in-your-face you might as well have smashed a brick into my face. >.O

Overall, though, this was a pretty good piece. Hope you found this review helpful! ^^

Sincerely,

Octave
"The moral of this story, is that if I cause a stranger to choke to death for my amusement, what do you think I’ll do to you if you don’t tell me who ordered you to kill Colosimo?“

-Boardwalk Empire

Love, get out of my way.

Dulcinea: 2,500/50,000

456 Reviews

Reviews: 456
Wed Jun 15, 2011 3:56 am
Rascalover says...

Hello,
Thank you so much for requesting a review. I have been busy lately, but here I am. For future reference: edit your piece when you get reviews so that the next reviewer doesn't comment on the old mistakes but the ones he/she found themselves. Most of my review will be grammar mistakes, but at the end I'll give you an overall view of what I think of your story. Lets get started! :)

Boulevard Stefan Stambolov 27: the address of a large, crumbling building, a reminiscent of the Communist era.

I like this, but it isn't a complete sentence because there is no verb. I don't know if I want you to change it, but just think about it.

And it’s not pretty.

Never start a sentence with a conjunction. A conjunction is any of the following words (For, And, Nor, But, Or, Yet, So) that follow a comma to connect two complete sentences together. When you add it to the beginning of a sentence, it makes your sentence look and read like a fragment. To fix this take and away and capitalize the I in it.

It is here that Elena has spent the past twenty years of her young life with her parents. They own a two bedroom apartment, with old shabby furniture from the days of her grandma. Her father is an alcoholic who works at the local cigar factory. He’s rarely home. Her mother is unemployed. The recent economic crisis made her redundant. She used to work in a clothing factory.

This is alot of info dumping. Try to spread this info through out the story instead of just telling us in one long paragraph (or short).

Elena sells shoes in a new store downtown. She sells shoes, because her parents could not afford to put her through college. She sells shoes and goes home each night and breathes the hopelessness and desperation in the air and becomes infected by it. She sells shoes and refuses to see a better life.

I don't know if repeating she sells shoes is giving off the effect that you want. As a reader it makes the story feel redundant and boring.

She’s lost among the pages of her art- art depicting the depression, the hopelessness, the putrid air. And yet, art that somehow holds a ray of hope.

Don't use the dash after art, use a comma instead. Also don't start a sentence with a conjunction. Take out the word and and capitalize the y in yet.

overall I really liked this, and I think it is coming along quiet nice. Be careful of some of those mistakes when you proof read your work :)

Keep up the good work,
Tiffany
There is nothing to writing; all you do is sit down at a typewriter and open a vein~ Red Smith

Who needs a review? :) http://www.youngwriterssociety.com/topic38078.html

"Nothing of me is original. I am the combined effort of everybody I've ever known."
— Chuck Palahniuk