z

Young Writers Society

Eyes of a Stranger- Part One

498 Reviews

Reviews: 498
Sat Jun 04, 2011 8:18 pm
theotherone says...

Some of you might have read this before. It's a story I called Another Gaze before, but I wrote a little bit more on the subject and I've separate it in two parts. The one who have already read the story, and if you don't want to read it all over again, please still review it? The part that I've re-written is at the end, when Trevor and Tess are outside.
FOR PART 2- topic81930.html

People were jumping around, pushing, sweating. They were screaming in unison, and I could barely make out the words of the song, but it didn’t matter. I was screaming too, my mouth wide open and articulating words I couldn’t even hear on top of the song the band was playing.

Everything was a blur around me, apart from those clear blue eyes that were still watching me.

When the concert began, I caught hold of them. I was so absorbed by them; I didn’t even remember the other features that composed the face they were set in. But again, it didn’t matter. I was here to see my boyfriend perform.

I forced myself to jump like the others surrounding me, swinging my wet hair out of my eyes. I looked up, trying to actually see the boys that were on the stage. Sam was up there somewhere, playing his guitar and jumping up and down to the beat of the song he was playing. I knew that even if we didn’t see each other, it meant a lot to him that I was here tonight.

It was his first real show, opening up for a quite famous band called For Today. Round In Circles, Sam’s band, had performed a lot in the last year, but it had been a great surprise when they received an invitation to play with one of their favorite bands.

Once again, a flash of light illuminated the mysterious eyes, looking in my direction. They caused me to turn around abruptly, pushing past two guys that were moshing. They smiled at me, looking me over to make sure I wasn’t hurt.

“I’m fine,” I mumbled, but the tall blond guy still looked at me, startled. He put his ear close to my mouth, shaking his head to show he hadn’t heard.

“I’m okay, thanks,” I screamed this time, and another smile stretched the guy’s lips. His thumb lifted into the air and he walked away, leaving me.

I looked back to a bunch of guys, dancing and punching the air around them, some were screaming at the top of their lungs.

That was exactly why I loved concerts so much. The energy level was at its highest, and nobody was really judging.

What are you waiting for? I thought. I smiled, taking a few steps into the mosh pit and throwing my arms around. It didn’t take long before my body was tired, my heart beating fast and my lungs burning to get more air. But deep screams, low guitar riffs and repetitive drums were all you needed to get a thousand over excited teens to let loose, including me.

People were pushing back, forming a larger open space in the middle of the crowd. It didn’t take long before that hole filled up with people, pushing each other hard. I was pushed into it, not having a second to resist, before someone else rammed into me. The little air I still had left in my lungs was gone in a second as my mouth opened in a silent scream. I was on the floor but hands caught me, trying to help me up. When they finally succeeded, I stumbled to face those eyes again. They were piercing my soul, probably seeing right through me. My hands went up to my chest, like I was naked and I was trying to cover myself. I felt my cheeks growing hot, and I knew they were a deep shade of crimson. Thank God for the poor lighting, I thought.

The eyes that were still looking right in mine were left me feeling hot all over. I felt nervous, even though I didn’t have any reason to be. My thoughts were jumbled... A puzzle I couldn’t even begin to decipher.

While I was still obsessing and trying to calm myself down, we stood there, immobile and oblivious to the untamed crowd surrounding us. The light was reflecting off of the blue irises and my eyes went down a little to gaze at the full lips that were stretching to a warm smile. An intimate smile, my mind corrected.

Are you okay? He seemed to say. His lips weren’t moving, but his eyes spoke in a way no lips, no matter how beautiful, could have done. I nodded, still too stunned to answer. He wouldn’t have heard me if I did.

His eyes drifted to the back of the room, where an exit was probably nestled. Do you want to go outside? His eyes seemed to ask. I did, it was incredibly hot in here, and I felt like I was on the verge of passing out. He seemed to understand too, like he could read me just like an open book. Like my thoughts were all exposed before him. He took my hand and pushed his way into the crowd. It didn’t take long before we were through the main door, taking deep breaths of fresh air. It had been rare back in that stuffed venue.

He spoke then, his voice taking me by surprise. It was pretty low and rough, not what I had expected from a guy like him. Legs clad in a pair of dark skinny jeans, and an August Burns Red shirt tightly covering his chest, he looked like a pretty big guy.

“It’s pretty crazy in there. I wasn’t sure you were going to get out of there alive,” he said, laughing at his joke. I smiled, I wasn’t sure I had the energy to laugh.

“My name’s Trevor by the way,” he said, looking at me expectantly.

“I’m Tess.” I extended my hand out of habit. He took it in his, shaking it once before letting it go. My hand bounced against my side, and I could still feel the pressure of his palm against mine, a tingling making its way up my arm.

“August Burns Red’s a good band,” I said, eying his shirt. It had a rhinoceros and the band’s name in big rectangular letters. He smiled at me.

“I got it when they came here a few months back,” he said, picking at the bottom of his red shirt.
“It was an awesome show, I was there too.” My voice was high pitch, like I was excited we had been to the same show. I clamped my lips shut, feeling stupid.

This is insane. I looked away from him, eyes traveling over the ground but I still saw an ocean there, the same color of his mesmerizing eyes.

“I hope the fresh air helps,” Trevor said, his voice seemed a lot closer than it was a few seconds ago. He had taken a step closer, sitting down on the stairs leading to the door. His legs stretched up, and his knee was almost touching me. I had to breathe in deeply to calm my heartbeat. It was beating so hard, I felt like I was breathless.

“Yes it does, thanks.” I felt a smile stretch my lips and I knew it wouldn’t be leaving anytime soon.

I haven’t felt like this in a while. Not since I first met Sam, I thought, a sickening feeling taking its rightful place inside my stomach. Trevor’s lips were moving once again, probably making some conversation but I couldn’t quite hear him on top of the rambling inside my head.

I was cursing at myself. Calling myself names I probably didn’t even deserve for feeling something else for a guy I didn’t even know. For feeling something I haven’t even felt in months. Not for Sam, not for any other guy.

I felt something hot on my arm and looked down to see Trevor’s hand.

“Tess? You sure you’re alright?” I felt my cheeks grow hot again.

“I’m fine, I was just lost in my thoughts.”

“You seem to be thinking an awful lot.” He laughed and patted the spot beside him on the stairs. There was barely enough space for me, and when I sat down, our legs were pushing against one another.

“That’s how I am,” I said.

“I saw you at the beginning of the show; you didn’t strike me as someone pensive. The way you were moshing...” He laughed once again and winked at me. It felt like my stomach was tumbling in a free fall.

“Should I say thanks?” I laughed too, somehow managing to turn to him, our knees rubbing together.

“It’s a compliment. There’s something incredibly sexy about girls who don’t think before doing something.” It was like he could see right through me; see my thoughts like they were written in my eyes.

He came closer, lips parting, eyes closing slowly. I knew what was about to happen, and I wanted him to kiss me. My body was leaning forward in response, and his hand grabbed my knee, supporting himself with his other hand that was clamped on one of the stairs. His lips barely touched mine, fluttering like butterfly wings and my eyes flew open just as he pushed against my mouth, deepening the kiss. I backed away and he froze in place, like he was suddenly made of ice.

“I think we should go back inside.” His hand squeezed my knee, his eyes dropping to the floor in disappointment.

“Yeah, I think they finished.” We could see a mass of people coming towards the glass door, probably taking some air before the next band came up.

“My boyfriend’s probably waiting for me back stage...” I didn’t know why I said that, but I felt like I had to explain myself somehow. He nodded, smiling faintly.

“Let’s go then, I know a better way.” He got up, hand extending towards me to help me get up. I took it and let it go reluctantly when we were finally on our way. He brought me to an unlocked door, but didn’t open it right away. Hand on the door knob, he turned to me.

“I know this may sound weird, but if you ever break up with him...” He motioned towards the general direction of the door. He then took my cell phone out of my pocket and entered his number, a smile forming on his lips. I felt hot all over and embarrassed by the fact that he was actually doing it, but when he gave my cell back, I couldn’t help but to smile too. He then opened the door, leading me to where the bands were all waiting.
Last edited by theotherone on Sat Jun 25, 2011 7:51 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Behind every mask, lies a man that can't live in his own skin. - Woe is Me <3
Need a reviewer? I don't bite, I promise. :) ---> viewtopic.php?f=188&t=76466

403 Reviews

Reviews: 403
Wed Jun 08, 2011 3:06 am
SmylinG says...

Hey there, Theotherone. Here as promised. (; So, there're a few things I really liked about your story. I'll definitely be on to the second part after I'm finished reviewing this here. On to my review!

First off, and I guess most obviously, I loved the style you had going on. It was very rugged, very rocker. There's something very appealing about the setting of a concert paired with this type of "love-at-first-sight" attraction thing going on with your story. It sort of reminded me of The Runaways. I'm not sure if you've ever seen the movie, but for some reason it took my mind right to it. I love stuff like that. It tends to come off quite raw. (Big fan) You did a great job of setting the vibe off for the entire story.

Another thing I also really liked and could appreciate was the dialogue. It was slightly blunt, and very believable as far as realism goes. It had it's own attitude, which is great. Often times when reviewing love interest pieces like this, I find writers neglecting the dialogue as far as it sounding real enough. It ends up not seeming as natural, and I think that's sort of neglecting a lot. You always want to have the chemistry of the character's words seem real and audible to the reader's thoughts. Otherwise it just always happens to sound halfway done and a tad bit boring.

In the beginning of reading your story though, I found myself a bit off on my footing. I wasn't sure whether there was something supernatural going on or not. It took me until your main character went walking out of the concert with the boy to realize it wasn't anything supernatural at all. I guess I got that impression when I first got to reading the part about the eyes watching Tess.

Another thing I liked was the way you set things in motion. You made Tess's boyfriend the rocker on stage. The kind of "it-boy" you think the reader would expect to love to see your main character with. But you pull the attention away from him onto this both less and more interesting, random boy standing out in the crowd along with Tess and the rest of them all. There's the conflict. It's smooth -maybe a little underdone- but it works. It was a big night for her boyfriend, and she was there to support him, but she ended up meeting some other dude. (Ohhh the battles of right and wrong. ;P)

I had a few nitpicks of my own of course. I usually do. Nothing very major or worry-some to you though. Just some quotes I felt the need to pick out and comment or correct you on. Here they are:

“I’m fine,” I mumbled, but the tall blond guy still looked at me, startled. He put his ear close to my mouth, shaking his head to show he hadn’t heard.

I'm sort of a dork for the insignificant details for some reason. I think it tends to give stories the base for their true character. Right here you did an excellent job of describing the way it was loud at the concert. When I pictured the actions of your characters there was realism in it. It put me there mentally. I like it. You explain too why she loves concerts so much, and you offered the proper description without it coming off as empty words. The quality of this remained consistent as well.

What are you waiting for? A voice called out to me.

I was confused as to whether this was a thought or an actual voice calling out to your character. You should probably make it a little more distinct of an impression to the reader's understanding just so that it's a bit more clear. No big, just a suggestion. ;)

The little air I still had left (in) my lungs [>is there meant to be some further action here?<](,) as my mouth opened in a silent scream.

This seems like an incomplete sentence, but I'm not really holding it to you. Sometimes when you write you just happen to skim through your thoughts and your words so quickly, you come out with little mistakes like these.

Then,(I think you could remove the comma here for sentence sake.) I was on the floor(,) <<Add one here instead but hands caught me, trying to help me up.

Trevor said, his voice seemed a lot closer than it was a few seconds ago.

“Yes it does(,) thanks.”

It was like he could see right through me; see my thoughts like they were written in my eyes.

He brought me to an unlocked door, but didn’t open it right away. Hand on the door knob, he turned to me(.)

He then took (out)<< Remove the first "out" here. my cell phone out of my pocket and entered his number,

I felt hot all over and embarrassed by the fact that he was actually doing it(,) but when he gave my cell back, I couldn’t help (but) to smile too.

Then, he opened the door, leading me to where bands were waiting.

Lastly, I think this sentence could be better written. It's the last sentence of this part of your story after all. You want it to leave an impression. Try: "He then opened the door, leading me to where the bands were all waiting."

So I suppose that's it for my review of Part One. I hope my review was in some way beneficial to you. I try my best to be as thorough as I can, but again, no one's perfect. I'll see about getting to Part Two soon. Once I finish catching wind from writing out this review first. ^-^ I'm a little bent out of shape you see.
Paul is my little, evil, yellow bundle of joy.

529 Reviews

Reviews: 529
Wed Jun 08, 2011 9:01 am
xDudettex says...

Hey there Otherone!

I'm glad you came back to this story. I really did like it!

I like the parts you've added on. We get to see more of Trevor, which is good, seeing as most of the story has been focusing on the relationship between him and Tess. I liked the scene you added in with the kiss - it added a bit more depth to their maybe relationship and the fact that Tess pulled away adds more conflict to the story. Especially since you added in the part with her saying that she hasn't felt much for Sam in the past months. Conflict is always good to keep a story ticking along and the reader interested.

I do have one small nit-pick -

His lips barely touched mine, fluttering like butterfly wings and my eyes flew open just as he pushed against them, deepening the kiss.

Okay, so, because you mentioned her eyes opening, when you said 'them' I thought you meant he was kissing her eyes. I know this sounds silly, and a part of me knew that wasn't the case and that he was kissing her lips, but it's just the awkward wording that gave me the wrong impression. Maybe try replacing 'them' with 'mouth' to make it clearer to the reader, so they don't have to re-read the sentence like I did and disrupt the flow of the story. Especially at such a key point in the story.

'His lips barely touched mine, fluttering like butterfly wings and my eyes flew open just as he pushed against my mouth, deepening the kiss.'

So, sorry for the short review, but I already mentioned changes on the first draft that you seem to have taken into account on this version.

On to part two!

xDudettex
'Stop wishing for the sunshine. Start living in the rain.' - Kids In Glass Houses.

'Would you destroy something perfect in order to make it beautiful?' - MCR artwork.

Reviews: 4
Mon Jun 13, 2011 6:15 am
View Likes
TheEaseDropper says...

Oh my gosh I loved this. It was really awesome. Can't wait to read the second part. Which I'm fixing to do right now.
TheEaseDropper :)

67 Reviews

Reviews: 67
Fri Jun 24, 2011 5:06 pm
Alliaaryn5665 says...

Hi,

There were a bit of mistakes here and there, but you did pretty well. Some grammar, I believe I saw a spelling, and a few other things. Make sure you take your time to reread sentences and check them. I enjoyed this and part 2 very much. I really want you to keep writing and I also would love if you told me when you did. :D Good job!

Farewell,
A.
You think you are any different from me,or yourfriends?Or this tree?If you listenhard enough,you canhear every living thingbreathing together.You canfeel everything growing.We are all living togethereven if most folksdon't act like it.We all havethe same roots,and we are allbranches of the sametree.

Random avatar

Reviews: 3
Fri Jun 24, 2011 8:28 pm
jknudsen says...

Yes, this was one of the few stories that I've actually read while being with this site and I have to say, I'm very impressed. Your flow and transitions from one point in the story to the other was just amazing. I'm a really big fan of love stories for some reason, I guess I'm just a big softy, but with this piece you managed to make it real. That's what really matters, making your readers captivated by your words and I think you did just that. Good job, keep writing.

51 Reviews

Reviews: 51
Sat Jun 25, 2011 12:22 am
KaylaCoon says...

Ummm! Heey! Kayla here!

Welp: I already knew I liked this story when you started writing about a concert! Concerts, moshing, for today, and august burns red? Giirrlll! I loved it!

You always meet the best people at concerts!

Let's do this.

Welll :D I really like how decriptive your story is! I love how everything just flowed together flawlessly. I really love how you combinded things most teenagers know. I couldn't really find any plot flaws or alot of error things other than the ones pointed out. I liked the characters and how they all had there own depth.

All in all. I really love this storry and I will most deffiantly read more of this story!!!

Can't waitt

--kayla!
The closest friends are the ones you'd take a bullet for, but they're the ones you constantly feel you could put a bullet in as well<33--Alex Gaskarth

"So take my life I'll had it to you, you can try on these clothes but you can't fill these shoes,"-- Poison-All Time Low

Sat Jun 25, 2011 12:39 am
AlizzaBear23 says...

Hola! I'm Alizza! I'm new to this obviously. All in all here's my review.
As the comment said before. I love concerts also, moshing, and other great things.
Meeting new people is the best really wish sometimes that stories like this would acctually happpen to me!
But, sadly it doesn't!
I love the style of the writing and I really like the story itself.
You need to write more! I'm addicted to this story now.
When I start writing stories I want them to be this good, but it would be my second time writing. That's gonnabe interesting.
--Keep on writing please! :)

*AlizzaBear :D*

Sun Jun 26, 2011 3:12 am
islandsongbird says...

i am officially addicted to this story and can't wait for more of your work :)
"use what talents you posses
the woods would be very silent
if no birds sang there except
those that sang best."
Henry Van Dyke
http://www.youngwriterssociety.com/page.php?id=1242

*Sad football bagpipes*
— DougalOfBiscuits