z

Young Writers Society

A breath of fresh air

100 Reviews

Reviews: 100
Mon May 09, 2011 9:00 am
Hecate says...

Haskovo, Bulgaria, 2007

Boulevard Stefan Stambolov 27- the address of a large, crumbling building, a reminiscent of the Communist era. The building has twelve floors, sixty apartments. It is filled with people who breathe the hopelessness and desperation in the air, and become infected with it themselves. Rarely does anyone break free from here. This is a prison of the mind- it holds you captive until you are strong enough to take a breath of fresh air.

It is here that Elena has spent the past twenty years of her young life with her parents. They own a two bedroom apartment, with old shabby furniture from the days of her grandma. Her father is an alcoholic who works at the local cigar factory. He’s rarely home. Her mother is unemployed. The recent economic crisis made her redundant. She used to work in a clothing factory.

Elena sells shoes in a new store downtown. She sells shoes, because her parents could not afford to put her through college. She sells shoes and goes home each night and breathes the hopelessness and desperation in the air and becomes infected by it. She sells shoes and refuses to see a better life. Except when she opens her art book. It is only there where she breathes a breath of fresh air. She’s lost among the pages of her art. Art depicting the depression, the hopelessness, the putrid air. And yet, art that somehow holds a ray of hope.

Here she is now, in her room. Her art book in front of her, her pencil in her hand. She’s in a world of her own. The lines grow on the page, and she can’t believe she’s the one making them appear there. They are large, rough and unforgiving. They scream at her, they become violent, they drink. They’re her father. She scowls. She can hear him in the living room, yelling at her mother:

‘I work all day, I expect a meal on the table. Where is my meal?’

‘You’re drunk.’ Her mother says feebly. ‘You know we ran out of money. All we have is a bit of bread left over from yesterday, but I was saving it for Elena-’

‘Elena’ He yells even louder, as if she couldn’t hear him already. ‘Elena, get over here, you ungrateful whore.’

She does as she’s told. She knows better than to argue.

‘Yes father?’ She asks, lowering her head.

‘I need money.’ That statement makes Elena shiver. It makes the hairs on her back stand in fear. It makes her heart heavy.

‘I have no money, father.’ Elena says, not daring to look up.

He grabs her and pushes her against a wall.

‘Why not? Do you not work, you lazy cunt?’

‘I gave you all I had yesterday.’ Elena says, and suddenly looks at him, hate in her eyes ‘And you spent it on a bottle of Vodka, you selfish, sick bastard!’
He raises his hand as if to slap her, and at that same time her mother stands between them and grabs his hand. Her mother- with her frail figure, exhausted by years of hard labor- stands between her daughter and a large, well built man, doing her best to protect her from him. The image is heart breaking. She does all she can to protect her little daughter from the man who should be the one protecting her.

‘Gavril, Gavrile leave her,’ she says ‘you know how the young ones are now…’

But she trails off as she sees the fury in her husband’s eyes. A fury well known to her, one to inspires fear in her frail body. He grabs her. Elena yells. And in a fraction of a second her mother has landed on the glass table. The glass shatters. The little hope in this home shatters. There’s blood everywhere, as the pieces of broken glass cut into her head, her hands, her body. She chokes and spits out glass.

‘Mother!’ Elena cries. ‘Mother, hold on, mother! I love you!’ Desperation. Hopelessness. So much of it.

An ambulance is called. Her father is too stunned to realize what to do. The paramedics have taken her mother, and she follows them to the hospital. Her father is with her now. They do not speak. They wait. Anxiously.

The minutes seem like hours. The large clock on the wall is their only distraction. Tick. Tick. Tick. Tick. A little girl has scraped her knee, her mother washes the wound and binds it with some old cloth. A caress on the cheek, followed by a gentle kiss and the girl bolts out of the door again Tick. Tick. Tick. They’re at the beach now. It’s happier times -when they had money. Her mother builds a sand castle with her, her father lifts her up on his shoulders. High, high up. So she can see the world. So she can feel the freedom that comes with being so high up. Tick. Tick. Tick. Her daddy is drunk. She’s never seen him like this before. He’s a different person. He’s a different man. He just looks like her daddy. But her daddy would never hurt her mommy like that. He would never give mommy a black eye. Except he did. And he has been doing the same for the past twelve years. Tick. Tick. Tick. Minutes like hours.

The doctor comes out, a somber look on her face.
‘The skull was severely fractured,’ she says ‘from the impact. She lost too much blood. She was too frail to be able to handle this type of injury. We did everything we could. I’m terribly sorry. It’s hard to believe she fell though…’

Elena looks at the doctor, and she looks at her father. She’s sick of lying. Why should she? Why should she lie to help the murderer of her mother? She gets up and says:

‘She didn’t fall. He killed her. He couldn’t wait until she died. He killed her slowly each day, every single day he drank her life away. And today, he decided he couldn’t wait. So he killed her.’

She runs out the hospital door before her father or the doctor can say anything. She runs and doesn’t stop. She wishes she could run fast enough to escape. Tears stream down her cheeks, as the pain grasps her heart. She’s suffocating. The pain is so strong, it’s suffocating her. She stops in the middle of the streets and cries. She cries out loud, a cry of agony, pain and restraint.

The funeral is the next day. She pays for it with money she had been hiding from her parents. Money she’d been saving up for tickets for her and her mother. Tickets to Paris, that would take them away from him to a beautiful place. To freedom. Not many people show up. Some neighbors and former colleagues from the clothing factory. Her father isn’t there. As if he’d dare to show his face. She doesn’t even care that he will be tried. It won’t bring her mother back.
She booked her ticket to Paris with the money she had left over. She won’t bring much. Some old clothes, her only shoes, a black and white photograph of her mother and her art book- all that matters to her. She is strong enough now. She takes a breath of fresh air and looks to the future, as the coffin is lowered inside the ground. She’s leaving this behind. She’s no longer infected with desperation and hopelessness. She’s breaking free from the prison that held her captive for so long, and with her, she’s taking the memory of a truly remarkable woman- her mother.

71 Reviews

Reviews: 71
Mon May 09, 2011 12:27 pm
Gheala says...

Her father is an alcoholic who works at the local cigar factory. He’s rarely home. Her mother is unemployed. The recent economic crisis made her redundant. She used to work in a clothing factory.

I think those are too many short phrases back to back. See if you could merge some of them together.

It is only there where she breathes a breath of fresh air. She’s lost among the pages of her art. Art depicting the depression, the hopelessness, the putrid air. And yet, art that somehow holds a ray of hope.

-You'll need to introduce the art book and what's related to it in a new paragraph. Obviously, it's very important to her.
-Also, I think you said the word "breath", "breathe" and "air" a lot so far. So, if you wish, you could make it: "...where she breathes some fresh air." Yet again, as a reader, I was slightly bothered by the repeated words.

‘Elena’ He yells even louder, as if she couldn’t hear him already. ‘Elena, get over here, you ungrateful whore.’

‘I gave you all I had yesterday.’ Elena says, and suddenly looks at him, hate in her eyes ‘And you spent it on a bottle of Vodka, you selfish, sick bastard!’

I loved the argument- it was very much alive and realistic. But! So many cuss words, they made me shudder. Always remember that you could send the characters' feelings without having to use cuss words. In fact, it's going to be some sort of challenge for you to make me feel the anger without one bad word and it's going to be a proof of your talent if you succeed. Try to omit the cuss words.

He raises his hand as if to slap her, and at that same time her mother stands between them and grabs his hand.

Even though this phrase is supposed to be a fast one that is full of movement, I felt something slowing it in some way. Then I realized that it was the "and at that same time". It's such a long way to connect the two actions and maybe it would sound better if you use "but". Now, listen to this: "He raises his hand as if to slap her, but her mother stands between them and grabs his hand."
Wasn't that faster? Think about it.

Her mother- with her frail figure, exhausted by years of hard labor- stands between her daughter and a large, well built man, doing her best to protect her from him. The image is heart breaking. She does all she can to protect her little daughter from the man who should be the one protecting her.

Hm.. That paragraph was slightly weird to me. By weird, I mean out of place. Here, you have given us a thought that didn't feel like Elena was its owner. I felt as though you're the one who's talking, not the MC, because it sounded like I was standing in front of a tourist guide who describes a good picture for me. I want to know how Elena felt, how she saw it, not how I should see it. Do you know what I mean? Did her heart race? Her eyes widened? She gasped? What's she thinking?

-Notice that you have written his name in two different ways.
-Also, there is no punctuation marks after "says".

But she trails off as she sees the fury in her husband’s eyes. A fury well known to her, one to inspires fear in her frail body. He grabs her. Elena yells. And in a fraction of a second her mother has landed on the glass table. The glass shatters. The little hope in this home shatters. There’s blood everywhere, as the pieces of broken glass cut into her head, her hands, her body. She chokes and spits out glass.

Dear loving God! He's a monster! I like that paragraph.
But remember to merge some sentences together because almost all of them are very short.

I liked this very much. I'm not used to reading pieces that are written in present tense, but I actually enjoyed reading this. Your way to make me imagine the scene is very nice and I was touched many times throughout the story.
I have one question... No, make that two.
It seemed as though you intended to make your sentences very short, is that true? Surely, that's your freedom, but I think it would look and read even better, if you put a full thought in your sentences. I think that would be better than to break your point into several phrases. Think about that.
Also, the last paragraph, even though it was very well-written, had confused me. You see, she loved her mother deeply and was heart-broken that her mother died, which is very good. Then you make her strong and ready to move on. It's alright for Elena to travel and move on with her life, away from the father that had ruined every bit of her adolescence. But isn't being strong a little early?
I mean, she can travel, but she could also be hurt by what happened to her and her mother. That would be more realistic.

Please, do write more. I liked your writing style a lot, it being simple and strong in the same time. It's very promising. Good luck!
I'm back to my YWS after months of disappearance, hoping that I'd gain the immunity of books and quills against the harmful realism of our world.

In case this made no sense, I'm just saying that I'm happy I'm back!

529 Reviews

Reviews: 529
Mon May 09, 2011 4:24 pm
xDudettex says...

Hey there!

This was a great read. You wrote in the present tense well and as a consequence the piece flowed well.

I don't really have anything fresh to say, as the reader above me did a brilliant job, but I'd just like to reiterate some of the points that have been made.

I defintely agree that the argument would be better without the curse words. Yes, I get that it's an argument, but the curse words still stick out too violently. Especially when Elena swears. It's too abrupt. I see her as more of the quiet, polite type and I understand that here she finally starts to stand up for herself and her mother, but at the same time, having her swear doesn't seem to fit the character that I thought her to have. I agree that expressing their anger in other ways would work better. Maybe have descriptions of facial expressions and the way they talk. Have him growl. Spit when he talks. His face red with anger, etc.

The amount of short sentences bothered me too. Here for example -

They wait. Anxiously.

- it would be better to have as one sentence. If you're going for shorter sentences to build tension, yes it works in some places, but here it's just disrupting to the flow of the piece.

Apart from those comments, I think you did a good job on the piece. I was glad that Elena finally broke free :)

I hope this helps!

xDudettex
'Stop wishing for the sunshine. Start living in the rain.' - Kids In Glass Houses.

'Would you destroy something perfect in order to make it beautiful?' - MCR artwork.

170 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 170
Mon May 09, 2011 8:49 pm
Boolovesyou says...

Hey Boo Here!

Boulevard Stefan Stambolov 27- the address of a large, crumbling building, a reminiscent of the Communist era.
The building has twelve floors, sixty apartments. It is filled with people who breathe the hopelessness and desperation in the air, and become infected with it themselves. Rarely does anyone break free from here. This is a prison of the mind- it holds you captive until you are strong enough to take a breath of fresh air.

It is here that Elena has spent the past twenty years of her young life with her parents. They own a two bedroom apartment, with old shabby furniture from the days of her grandma. Her father is an alcoholic who works at the local cigar factory. He’s rarely home. Her mother is unemployed. The recent economic crisis made her redundant. She used to work in a clothing factory.

Elena sells shoes in a new store downtown. She sells shoes, because her parents could not afford to put her through college. She sells shoes and goes home each night and breathes the hopelessness and desperation in the air and becomes infected by it. She sells shoes and refuses to see a better life. Except when she opens her art book. It is only there where she breathes a breath of fresh air. She’s lost among the pages of her art. Art depicting the depression, the hopelessness, the putrid air. And yet, art that somehow holds a ray of hope.

Here she is now, in her room. Her art book in front of her, her pencil in her hand. She’s in a world of her own. The lines grow on the page, and she can’t believe she’s the one making them appear there. They are large, rough and unforgiving. They scream at her, they become violent, they drink. They’re her father. She scowls. She can hear him in the living room, yelling at her mother:

‘You’re drunk.’ Her mother says feebly. ‘You know we ran out of money. All we have is a bit of bread left over from yesterday, but I was saving it for Elena-’

She does as she’s told. She knows better than to argue.

‘I need money.’ That statement makes Elena shiver. It makes the hairs on her back stand in fear. It makes her heart heavy.

He grabs her and pushes her against a wall.

He raises his hand as if to slap her, and at that same time her mother stands between them and grabs his hand. Her mother- with her frail figure, exhausted by years of hard labor- stands between her daughter and a large, well built man, doing her best to protect her from him. The image is heart breaking. She does all she can to protect her little daughter from the man who should be the one protecting her.

‘Mother!’ Elena cries. ‘Mother, hold on, mother! I love you!’ Desperation. Hopelessness. So much of it. So if your mom went flying into a glass table you would say I love you mom hold on? More like run for the phone THEN say that stuff. Sorry this doesn't seem realistic to me anyway.

An ambulance is called. Her father is too stunned to realize what to do. The paramedics have taken her mother, and she follows them to the hospital. Her father is with her now. They do not speak. They wait. Anxiously. I get that your trying to let your writing show the emotion,but Ansiously. is an adverb it being all alone is weird. Combine some sentances.

The minutes seem like hours. The large clock on the wall is their only distraction. Tick. Tick. Tick. Tick. A little girl has scraped her knee, her mother washes the wound and binds it with some old cloth. A caress on the cheek, followed by a gentle kiss and the girl bolts out of the door again Tick. Tick. Tick. They’re at the beach now. It’s happier times -when they had money. Her mother builds a sand castle with her, her father lifts her up on his shoulders. High, high up. So she can see the world. So she can feel the freedom that comes with being so high up. Tick. Tick. Tick. Her daddy is drunk. She’s never seen him like this before. He’s a different person. He’s a different man. He just looks like her daddy. But her daddy would never hurt her mommy like that. He would never give mommy a black eye. Except he did. And he has been doing the same for the past twelve years. Tick. Tick. Tick. Minutes like hours.

The doctor comes out, a somber look on her face.

‘The skull was severely fractured,’ she says ‘from the impact. She lost too much blood. She was too frail to be able to handle this type of injury. We did everything we could. I’m terribly sorry. It’s hard to believe she fell though…’

Elena looks at the doctor, and she looks at her father. She’s sick of lying. Why should she? Why should she lie to help the murderer of her mother? She gets up and says:

‘She didn’t fall. He killed her. He couldn’t wait until she died. He killed her slowly each day, every single day he drank her life away. And today, he decided he couldn’t wait. So he killed her.’ She sounds bored while saything.. Not even an exlamation point?

She runs out the hospital door before her father or the doctor can say anything. She runs and doesn’t stop. She wishes she could run fast enough to escape. Tears stream down her cheeks, as the pain grasps her heart. She’s suffocating. The pain is so strong, it’s suffocating her. She stops in the middle of the streets and cries. She cries out loud, a cry of agony, pain and restraint.

The funeral is the next day. She pays for it with money she had been hiding from her parents. Money she’d been saving up for tickets for her and her mother. Tickets to Paris, that would take them away from him to a beautiful place. To freedom. Not many people show up. Some neighbors and former colleagues from the clothing factory. Her father isn’t there. As if he’d dare to show his face. She doesn’t even care that he will be tried. It won’t bring her mother back.

She booked her ticket to Paris with the money she had left over. She won’t bring much. Some old clothes, her only shoes, a black and white photograph of her mother and her art book- all that matters to her. She is strong enough now. She takes a breath of fresh air and looks to the future, as the coffin is lowered inside the ground. She’s leaving this behind. She’s no longer infected with desperation and hopelessness. She’s breaking free from the prison that held her captive for so long, and with her, she’s taking the memory of a truly remarkable woman- her mother.How much money had she saved, how much was a ticket, the funeral, Did she really have enough left over?

Things you should fix:
-Fragment sentances or Combine sentances
-All numbers over ten should be shown as the number not word
-Reality verse what your mind may think
-Over using words ( example: desperation and hoplessness. Used same words over or only a little different. Make sure to think of more emotions.)

I liked the story, and your way of writing is really good. It needs some work, and I hope I got everything. ( I had to redo this review two times cause it got deleted.) Keep it up! Maybe put more life into it.

Any questions PM me or post on my wall!

-Boo
Milestiba uzvar visu, Milestiba ir upuris.

456 Reviews

Reviews: 456
Tue May 10, 2011 12:09 am
Rascalover says...

Hello,
Thank you for requesting a review. During this review I will nit-pick grammatical errors and similar things and give you an overall opinion of your piece. Don't take it too personal, I just want to help you with your writing! :) Now on to the meat of your review:

Boulevard Stefan Stambolov 27- the address of a large, crumbling building, a reminiscent of the Communist era.

Instead of using a dash here try using a colon (:).

This is a prison of the mind- it holds you captive until you are strong enough to take a breath of fresh air.

Avoid using dashes at all cost. Lately I have been using users use dash (-) when they really should be using commas and semi-colons; they are your friends, and it doesn't hurt to use them, I promise. In this case it should be a semi-colon (;). A semi-colon connects two complete sentences together without making it a run-on sentence.

They own a two bedroom apartment, with old shabby furniture from the days of her grandma.

There should be a comma after old because both old and shabby are describing the furniture.

Her father is an alcoholic who works at the local cigar factory. He’s rarely home. Her mother is unemployed. The recent economic crisis made her redundant. She used to work in a clothing factory.

While working a chapter or short story it's easy to turn to telling things instead of showing them. Instead of just handing this information to us spread it out through the rest of the story. Add a few sentences about his excessive drinking and how he smells like smoke after coming home from work when he does come home. Add a few sentences about how her mother let herself go after being fired(?) or let go and how her hands are calloused from the work she did in the clothing factory, but be sure to spread all of these sentences out through the story.

Elena sells shoes in a new store downtown. She sells shoes, because her parents could not afford to put her through college. She sells shoes and goes home each night and breathes the hopelessness and desperation in the air and becomes infected by it. She sells shoes and refuses to see a better life.

I don't think the Elena sells shoes, she sells shoes is very effective here. I suggest taking it out.

Art depicting the depression, the hopelessness, the putrid air. And yet, art that somehow holds a ray of hope.

1) Neither of these sentences are complete sentences because there is no verb. For the first sentence change depicting to depicts. for the second sentence, take out the word that after art.
2) Never start a sentence with a conjunction (For, And, Nor, But, Or, Yet, So). They are used along with commas to combine complete sentences together, so when it starts a sentence it makes it look like a fragment instead of a complete sentence. To fix this replace the period after air with a comma and lower case the a in and.

Her art book in front of her, her pencil in her hand.

This is not a omplete sentence because there is no verb. add the verb is in front of in.

They scream at her, they become violent, they drink.

The commas should be semi-colons because you are combining complete sentences together.

Qoutation marks look like this ", so make sure they are always double lines instead of the ones you have around all of your dialogue change it to ".

‘You’re drunk.’ Her mother says feebly.

(Change the quotation marks :) ) Also, when you add he/she said/says/replied there should always be a comma after what the person said because she says is a fragment and not a sentence.
For example:
"I love you." Tony kissed her
"I love you," Tony said.

Only use a period at the end of the dialogue when there is another sentence after it, an action being done.

‘Elena’ He yells even louder, as if she couldn’t hear him already.

there should be an exclamation after elena because he is yelling. Also, don't forget to change your quotation marks to the correct ones. I haven't pointed them all out, so you should go through and change them :)

‘Elena, get over here, you ungrateful whore.’

This makes me feel like he is calling the mother elena, but that's not her name. Maybe add an exclamation point after Elena instead of a comma.

I thought she was in her room? This part is confusing. If he is talking to Elena than add something in his dialogue to the effect of: Elena come downstairs right now. Or, Elena come out here right now!

The period after father should be a comma.

‘I gave you all I had yesterday.’ Elena says,

The period should be a comma.

‘And you spent it on a bottle of Vodka, you selfish, sick bastard!’

What makes her so brave all of a sudden?

He raises his hand as if to slap her, and at that same time her mother stands between them and grabs his hand.

Why is the mother so brave now? From the way you told the beginning, he had been a drunk for a while. Why would they just out of no where find the strength to fight against him. It would take much longer for a person being abused to get this much courage and even then it's usually only enough courage to get out of the situation.

Her mother- with her frail figure, exhausted by years of hard labor- stands between her daughter and a large, well built man, doing her best to protect her from him.

The dashes should be commas.

Shouldn't it be leave her alone?

But she trails off as she sees the fury in her husband’s eyes.

Never start a sentence with a conjunction. In this case you can just take it out without effecting the rest f the sentence.

A fury well known to her, one to inspires fear in her frail body.

It should be on that inspires fear... or one to inspire fear...

Elena yells. And in a fraction of a second her mother has landed on the glass table.

Never start a sentence with a conjunction. replace the period after yells with a comma and lower case the a in and.

The little hope in this home shatters.

The repetition of shatters isn't effective how about changing it to ... shatters along with it... or something along that effect.

She chokes and spits out glass.

Instead of saying glass again you should say she spits it out.

A little girl has scraped her knee, her mother washes the wound and binds it with some old cloth.

The comma should be a semi-colon because these are two complete sentences you are combining.

It’s happier times -when they had money.

The dash should be a comma.

Her mother builds a sand castle with her, her father lifts her up on his shoulders.

The comma should be a semi-colon because you are combining two complete sentences together.

He just looks like her daddy. But her daddy would never hurt her mommy like that.

Never start a sentence with a conjunction. Replace the period after daddy with a comma and lower case the b in but.

Except he did. And he has been doing the same for the past twelve years.

Never start a sentence with a conjunction. replace the period after did with a comma and lower case the a in and. .

The funeral is the next day.

If her death was a murder it woukld take far longer than half a day to get the autopsy and to get funeral arrangements.

She booked her ticket to Paris with the money she had left over.

If she knew she was saving for Paris why didn't she just wait to stand up to him until she could get her mother safely out of there?

Some old clothes, her only shoes, a black and white photograph of her mother and her art book- all that matters to her.

This is not a complete sentence, so add that's before all and after the dash. Change the dash to a comma.

she’s taking the memory of a truly remarkable woman- her mother.

That dash should be a comma.

Overall this was kind of weak, but has the potential to be great. Once you work on your grammatical errors, you should start adding some description to your story, and making the dialogue more realistic. If you have any questions or need another review feel free to ask any time. :)

Have a great day,
Tiffany
There is nothing to writing; all you do is sit down at a typewriter and open a vein~ Red Smith

Who needs a review? :) http://www.youngwriterssociety.com/topic38078.html

816 Reviews

Reviews: 816
Sat May 14, 2011 4:49 pm
View Likes
Shearwater says...

Hey! I'm sooo sorry for getting to this really late.
I've been mixed up with some other things and forgot about it until just now. But! I'm here to review and hopefully I'm still a bit helpful with this. ^^

I'm not going to do any nitpicks or anything like that because it seems like R.Lover has already gotten down to the nitty-gritty right there with her review, lol.

Okay, so the first thing I noticed is actually the tense in here:
It is here that Elena has spent the past twenty years of her young life with her parents

You make it seem like she's lived there and is now doing something different but she's not, she's still living there with her alcoholic father and working in a shoe store. Knowing this, you might want to change the tense of this sentence because it actually had me going back to make sure what I was thinking was right.

Anyway, let's take a look at your characters. Elena seems like the quiet type to just sit there and take all the violence and crap by herself without raising her voice but in here she goes out of there boundary and yells and screams back. Maybe you should elaborate on her character a little more to make her actions believable? I kind of raised a brow with her actions in some parts. She didn't seem like a very strong character with your first impression of her.

Her father is just an alcoholic but beyond that, there's nothing more that we know about him. What makes him so violent? What ticks him off about life so much? That he's poor and barely has food? Were they rich before? I can see him becoming irritated with life if he once possessed money but if he was born poor, then he wouldn't know the valuables of being middle class or rich, he'd live his life like he's living it and not have objections to it unless his mind has been tampered with by the 'wanting' of being rich or at least, more than he is. His character could also use some explaining. Don't be afraid to make this short story longer by providing more details to it.

Her mother is referred to as remarkable in the end but in what way? All she did was stop a fight that any mother would do. She'd put her life in danger for the sake of her child. If that is the case, all mothers are remarkable and really, they are. I love my mom but what makes Elena's mother go beyond that and what makes the mother more important in this story, what makes her different than the other moms - that this child, Elena, sees her as her greatest hero?

Now, if we look at the plot, it kind of makes me upset. I mean, within a short amount of time and all, you did a great job of providing a beginning and an end but I've seen this type of story a lot of times before so I wasn't very touched by it. However, you did do a good job writing the descriptions and such, even if they were short. They were clear.

Anyway, back to what I was saying about the plot. Elena, she is poor, she is abused, she can't go to school so she works a poor girl's job, she has no food, her mother dies, her father runs away and now she's on her own. Wow, there is just sooo much pity and sadness in here that it's kind of unbelievable. She goes through so much and there's not a single good thing anywhere and even in the end all she does is run away disguising it as freedom. Her emotions aren't explained all the way. Her mom dies, her father leaves and now she's on her own? What happened to her hate? Does she think of revenge? It's kind of mixed up for me and I feel like this short story is still on thin ice. It needs more thought and details for me to understand and feel all the emotions that you have here. In some cases, you have so much sadness it feels like you're forcing us to feel pity over her.

Also you mentioned her art, what does she do with it? It seems like it's an escape for her, venting art - what it's called, I think. Anyway, it seemed like an important part of her life but was forgotten quite quickly. Take a deeper look at it and try to bring it back into your story. Make a living out of it maybe? I think it need some more attention, really. It could give your story some more connections between the beginning and the end, her loves and hate. Something like that.

Anyway, if we brush that away and look at the core of the story, it has potential and it is interesting. I liked the shortness but I disliked the lack of information. I enjoyed the speedy pace too, I hate it when sad stories are slow. It make it boring and I don't really enjoy reading depressing things. :c

Overall, you did a pretty okay job, concerning the length but it still needs some fleshing out in my opinion. Keep working and if you have any further questions just shoot me a PM.

Keep writing,
-Shear
There are three rules for writing a novel. Unfortunately, no one knows what they are.
-W. Somerset Maugham

Minds are like parachutes. They only function when they are open.
— Sir James Dewar, Scientist