Young Writers Society

March Hare, November Wolf (2)

1176 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 1176
Mon Apr 25, 2011 7:57 pm
Twit says...

TWO

I was in bed when I woke up. I lay still, savouring the warmth that wrapped me up like a sausage in bacon, then stretched an arm above my head and opened my eyes. My body ached and when I touched my face, I could feel the beginnings of a scab on my right cheek, under my eye.

The candle was burning on the table and I rolled over, surprised that Pa had allowed it. Its light turned the rest of the room into a mess of flickering shadows and changed Ma and Pa’s bed, just a few spaces away from mine, into a dark bulk twice the size that it normally was. My head hurt and my brain felt sleepy, sluggish, reluctant to think any long thoughts that actually meant anything.

I sat up and the world spun into a black and golden smear. A high ringing in my ears made me grab at the wall for support and for a moment I forgot to breathe. Words tumbled around in my head, words and melodies, and I saw the faces of old men with wild grey hair (speak louder, shout, for I am deaf), young men with big black hair (fairy tales fairy tales I don't enjoy), a woman with no hair (I got myself a big fat plan gonna be a singer). When my head cleared, I realised I could hear voices. They melted into each other like the buzzing of bees and I couldn’t pick them out properly until one suddenly rose and I heard Ma:

‘I don’t care!’

I slid out of bed and over to the knothole in the floor, knelt down and looked through. I could see the top of Pa’s head and if I wriggled around, a little bit of Ma’s face. They were sitting at the table in front of the fire, which they’d let die down. I remembered the candle and looked guiltily over my shoulder, promising silently that I’d blow it out when I got back into bed.

Ma had been crying. Her eyes were red in her white face like blood on snow and there were strands of her dark hair working their way loose from under her white cap. ‘I don’t care,’ she said again. ‘I can’t do this anymore.’

‘What do you mean you can’t? You can. You will!’ Pa’s head looked tired, but his voice was rough and angry and I winced when I heard it.

‘I can’t, Huw, I just can’t.’

‘Then what do you suggest we do?’

‘I don’t know!’ Ma scrubbed her face with one hand. ‘I just don’t know. But I can’t do this, Huw. Please. You don’t know what it’s like, you’re at the smithy all day, you don’t know what it’s like, being here at home with her and not knowing when she’s going to have another fit and when she does not knowing what to do. I never know what to do. All I can do is watch her and it hurts and I hate it, Huw! I hate it!’

‘I know you do. You do keep on telling me.’ Pa’s voice was cold, but Ma didn’t seem to hear him.

‘And I can’t do everything by myself, I have to send her out to fetch water or catch a chicken or borrow fire and I have to sit here and know that she’s out there and even though I try and finish, it’s never quick enough and I have to go out and carry her home and everyone watches—everyone, Huw! They just stand and stare at her like she’s some freak on display and the children...’ Ma’s voice broke. ‘You saw her today. Covered in mud and—they threw stones at her! As though she were a mad dog!’

‘You think I don’t know what it’s like?’ Pa was glaring at her. ‘Men passing through Encotte come into the smithy and they always tell me about their families, about how clever and strong and useful their children are and I just stand there and nod and smile and everyone else in the smithy knows that I can’t say anything because the only child of mine who’s lived past their first year is the one who the other children call the mad girl of Encotte!’

‘How dare you try and blame this on me!’ Ma almost shrieked it and I clenched my eyes shut against her wild face. ‘Dara’s twice as clever as any other child in the village and even if she’s not that strong she still works, she really works and she’s a huge help to me! She’s a blessing! Remember that, Huw? You said that when she was born—that she was a real blessing!’

‘If you love her that much, why can’t you cope with her anymore?’

‘I do love her! How dare you say that I don’t! I love her more than anything in the world! It’s you who doesn’t love her, you don’t care about her, you don’t care about me—’

‘Katie!’ Pa’s voice cracked like a slap on her face, and she fell back limply in her chair.

I hadn’t realised that I had been holding my breath; and my heart thudded against the floorboards so loud it seemed as though the noise would echo throughout the entire house and Ma and Pa would look up and see me. There was a tune growing in the back of my head, growing like a fire, not the same one as before but a different one.

is it a kind of dream floating out on the tide following the river of death downstream oh is it a dream there’s a fog along the horizon a strange glow in the sky and nobody seems to know where you go and what does it mean oh

I pressed my cheek against the knothole and prayed for it to stop.

‘Katie,’ Pa said again, and the thunder had left his voice, leaving it broken like an empty conker case. ‘Oh Katie.’

Ma made an odd noise, but I didn’t dare to look.

‘Katie. What about Druth?’

‘Who?’

‘Druth. My cousin.’

‘The Danann one?’

‘Yes.’

‘He’s at court. He’s not married. Why would he help us? He’s at court. He probably likes to forget that we’re his relatives.’

‘Katie, you never really met him, you don’t know what he’s like. And he’s not like that.’

‘But why would he bother?’

‘Some people have a genuine desire to help others.’

‘Grow up, Huw.’ I heard Ma’s laugh ring out, harsh and brittle. ‘What would he gain from helping us? And how would he help us, anyway? Do you really think he’s going to leave his comfy place at court to come here and explain to us why our daughter’s mad?’

‘I thought... Maybe Dara could go to him.’

‘Go to court?’

‘Yes. Druth could—’

‘Huw, are you even thinking about this? Dara at court—she’s in enough trouble here, how do you think she’d cope there? And how would Druth cope with her? If I—He doesn’t even know us that well!’

‘He knows me.’

‘Just because you fought with him in the war doesn’t mean—’

‘It does mean that. He said things, told me—told me things that make this sound like it might be a Danann problem.’

‘What?’

‘The things that Dara sees, the way she is around animals—that’s certainly like the Danann, that she can hear their thoughts—’

‘Huw—’

‘No, listen. You remember why the Danann backed out of the war? They lost so heavily at Carraig Catha and hundreds of them died.’

‘Huw, you know I can never remember all those battles.’

‘After that battle, after Carraig Catha, they just left, left us to finish it all. Druth said it was because of their prince, the Danann prince, he was some kind of seer and he saw—visions. Druth called it—the Sark, I think, the Seeing Sark. He was very bitter about it. That was why he left Aval-lón. Because the prince saw visions and he followed them and that was what made Carraig Catha go so wrong.’

‘So?’

‘So, from the way Druth talked, I think Dara sees may be a part of that—the Seeing Sark. A Danann thing.’

There was a long silence. I could hear logs snapping in the fireplace and my heartbeat against the floor, slower now but no quieter.

bright eyes burning like fire bright eyes how can you close and fail how can the light that burned so brightly suddenly burn so pale bright eyes

I didn’t like this tune. It sounded lonely, so sad, so worried. I wanted the old tune back, the tune before all this happened. Something about a ship and a place that I’d never heard of before. Maybe if I could remember that, all this would go away.

is it a kind of shadow reaching into the night

‘Druth’s your cousin. You’ve got Danann blood in you. Dara’s got Danann blood. Is that why this is happening?’

‘I don’t know. I just don’t know, Katie, but Druth might. That’s what I’m saying, I think he could help her. There’re doctors and all sorts in Camulus. Maybe Druth knows one that could help her. Cure her.’

‘But what if he doesn’t? What if he sends her away again and locks her up in an asylum? Huw, I am never, ever going to send Dara to an asylum, and you are not—’

‘He won’t, I tell you!’

‘But how do you know?’

bright eyes burning like fire bright eyes how can you close and fail

‘Because he was my friend then and he’s my friend now. The Danann don’t change, they’re not human like us. Druth’ll be the same. And Katie—Katie, ow-kerensa, what choice do we have?’

Ma began crying. I opened my eyes and looked through the hole in the boards. Pa had moved out of his chair and was holding her in his arms as she wept, one of his hands holding the back of her head like a baby’s. She clutched handfuls of his shirt and sobbed into his shoulder. I stared at them, and the knot was back in my throat, only now it was so much simpler. Ma’s face was hidden in the maze of Pa’s arms and all I could feel was the anger that had escaped from me before.

there’s a high wind in the trees a cold sound in the air and nobody ever knows when you go and where do you start oh into the dark

---

Any of the song snippets you recognise, well, duh they're not mine. ^_^
"TV makes sense. It has logic, structure, rules, and likeable leading men. In life, we have this."

#TNT

90 Reviews

Reviews: 90
Mon Apr 25, 2011 8:37 pm
freewritersavvy says...

Hmm...very interesting. A little confusing but that is a good thing in my opinion!

~FW~
http://www.isiseiyr.com
~When you do the common things in life in an uncommon way, you will command the attention of the world. ~ George Carver

Writing...they claim it is a dangerous occupation... 'they' have no idea!

384 Reviews

Reviews: 384
Wed Apr 27, 2011 4:04 pm
eldEr says...

Chapter 2!

Okay... so still, I adore this story, and I'm not quite sure of how helpful this will be - Dara's still Dara, after all, and Ma is still Ma (or Katie, whichever.) We met Pa in this chapter, but there isn't too much that I find I can say about him, either.

I will say, though, that at first I was scared that Katie was turning into one of those mothers - the kind that are in all of the insane-child stories. For a few paragraphs, I was afraid that I'd regret praising her mother in my review of chapter one - it sounded like she was about ready to give up and ship Dara off. After I figured out that good ol' Ma and/or Katie was still on her daughter's side, I was a little more than a lot relieved.

Pa did confuse me a little at first, and all I'm going to say about him right now is that I'm not entirely sure where he stands as far as the whole Dara thing goes... I'm assuming that he loves his daughter, but he also seems very willing to get rid of her. Then again, it would be for Dara's own good... Well, this is getting ramble-y, so I'll just stop talking about Pa altogether. xD

As far as writing goes, there were a few things that bothered me here, as well. Thing weren't quite as wordy as the last chapter, but there were a few descriptions and choppy bits that I still wasn't that fond of. The first bit was probably the part the bugged me the most, actually:

I was in bed when I woke up. I lay still, savouring the warmth that wrapped me up like a sausage in bacon, then stretched an arm above my head and opened my eyes.

Okay, so I'm not going to lie here - that description actually made me laugh. It was just a bit... cheesy for my likings. It might just be part of Dara's personality and voice - but if that was the case, you need to find a way to make it more evident - so that your reader isn't sitting there wrinkling their nose at all of the... interesting similes. I'm not quite sure how you'd go about that, but there has to be way right? >.< (I apologize for my uselessness there.) If it's not part of her voice, well... all I can say is that taking it out would be your best bet. xD

I want to read more - let me know when the next chapter's out please and thank you? xD (If you remember of course.) Hopefully I can give more... helpful reviews as the novel progresses, but I always have trouble being helpful with stories that I actually enjoy. Anyways.

Keep writing,
~~Ish.
Guuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuurl.

got trans?

456 Reviews

Reviews: 456
Fri Apr 29, 2011 7:29 pm
Rascalover says...

Hey,
Thanks for requesting a review. I am more than a little confused. I didn't really understand what was going on, and even when I went back to chapter one and re-read I couldn't make a strong connection between the two chapters. As for the plot, I'm sorry to say, but it wasn't that interesting. This is going to be a short review, so if you need any more please feel free to ask. I'm sorry it just couldn't keep my interest...

Have a good day,
Tiffany
There is nothing to writing; all you do is sit down at a typewriter and open a vein~ Red Smith

Who needs a review? :) http://www.youngwriterssociety.com/topic38078.html

553 Reviews

Reviews: 553
Sun May 01, 2011 7:01 am
MiaParamore says...

Hey Twit, back here to review. :)

Spoiler! :
‘How dare you try and blame this on me!’ Ma almost shrieked it and I clenched my eyes shut against her wild face
If you go and read the predecessor of this dialog, then you'd find that the father wasn't accusing her mother. He was just explaining what all he has to go through every day. Then why is so defensive? Whatever he says against her attitude comes afterwards.

I heard Ma’s laugh ring out, harsh and brittle.
I love this description, and I can literally hear her laugh.

The first thing I'd like to tell you is that I found the beginning a bit rotten. I don't know how to convey this and if you'd agree with me on this or not, but I didn't find it that much interesting. I read it, and then all the while I was thinking when would it end and I'd be able to progress towards the story. It's maybe me, but I didn't actually like the way you showed how she got up. All those images and all just didn't get to me, and I do understand that they are very important for the plot, but something about them looked like telling rather than showing. It's actually a bit too clichéd that after a concussion or an accident the person gets up in his or her bed, and there are strange images from the accident before. I can't actually suggest anything, but that's how I felt about it. Maybe if you could have delved a bit more into her physical pain, since she was abused physically from what I remember, then maybe it would be a much better read. At least for me.

There are two small things I'd like to mention, too. Firstly, I have an idea about Dana being so worried about the candle, but there can be a case wherein some readers might not understand it and might think over why she was fussing over it. I think it's mainly because of their economic status and a candle is, to me, a very good way of showing their money status. She could be talking about how funds were scarce and how they usually dealt with the candle. The reason I'm fussing more on this is that till now I have a very small idea about the character, and I really want to know more. So, to keep my interest, you should probably include these small things which would help build her character. Other thing that I'd like to say is that sometimes your descriptions, not much, just two three times, are irrelevant. Not just descriptions, but the sentences have know meaning. Be careful that it happened just twice but I want to point that out. Like here: Pa’s head looked tired, but his voice was rough and angry and I winced when I heard it. Of course I get what you want to show here, but come to think of it, can head be tired? Yes, it can, but then in that case only you'd be able to feel the pain, and it wouldn't be evident to other person until it's on your face. So, right now, it should be face rather than head. Head can't look tired, now, can it? :wink:

I would like to bring forward another thing I want to say. All the while her parents quarrelled, she seemed to be just telling us their words and their reactions. I felt like I was reading a third person narration. The point of having a first person narration is that the MC gets an undue advantage over other characters and they can literally tell us exactly how they are feeling. SO, you could have had her emotions and reactions squeezed somewhere as well. She didn't need to look like a dummy just conveying her parents' quarrel. I would like to know more of it even more since the topic of their fight is she herself. If my parents were to fight about me, then I'd have definitely have many thoughts, changing to the situation. How does she feel now? Sad? Angry? Befuddled? What is her reaction? That was one point you totally forgot. You had all the reactions in the last which was like a bit boring.

Everyone said it seemed confusing, but it did not to me. But yes, I was a bit confused about who actually got the visions, but if I re-read it again, I'd be done. Honestly, I liked this chapter more and it was much easier to review. Reason? It had less out of the box descriptions, which are good but you need a balance with them, and it was lot more easier to find my way across the story with the dialogue. Sometimes dialogues can do things that descriptions can't and at times like those, you should maybe help the readers by serving them some of the dialogue. Of course, you won't alternate your story to make it more of a dialoguish, but I was just telling you that it seemed a better chapter.

I am really curious to know how her father's cousin would treat her, and how this story is going to unfold. Right now, all we know is that she has some visions, and somewhat now we have a clue that it's something genetic. Or maybe not. :) But you have still kept it a secret that how this all would flourish. What would be her role in everything and how she is going to transform into the story, which I think is intriguing and making me wanna read more. Your descriptions were balanced now, and that's what actually pulled me back to read the story. It seems you have a good idea of how you're going to develop things which I often can't do, so I think you have a plus point here.

What I found to be the biggest problem again is that your character, Dara is still not developed well. I don't have any idea about her age and how she looks(it can be left for some other time, though). Knowing the age of he MC is quite helpful in imagining the whole scenario and the situation. It gives you a better idea and you're able to put yourself in their shoes, which I think is one of the purposes of reading. Also, I would like you to write how she feels about this arrangement her father is talking of. Is she happy because she might have a chance to get out of the living hell of her mind, or is she intimidated? I think we need to know all these facts about her.

Anyways, do let me know when you post more, please, and I hope I could be of some help. If you have anything to ask or clarify about my review, do lemme know. I like to hear after I give a review. :)

~Shrubs
"Next time you point a finger
I might have to bend it back
Or break it, break it off
Next time you point a finger
I'll point you to the mirror"

— Paramore

But there was no goat man, there was NEVER any goat man!
— OSP Red