z

Young Writers Society

Mistake (Part Two)

336 Reviews

Reviews: 336
Sun Mar 13, 2011 9:24 pm
Jas says...

This is part two. You *probably* won't understand it unless you read part one. Maybe you will. MAYBE. :D

~ Part Two ~

Ben Williamson closed the door, carefully placed his coat in the closet, next to the bright blue ladies winter coat and sat down to his microwave dinner. The condo was immacutely cleaned, thanks to Maria who came Tuesdays and Thursdays. This wasn't home to Ben, not anymore.

Day after day, week after week, month after month, Ben done the exact same thing. He'd gotten himself into a rut, stuck in the same basic routine. He refused to do anything out of the ordinary ever since his mother died six years before, since his best friend died four years before, since his fiance died six months ago. The doctors said it was a mixture alcohol posioning and drug overdose but Ben believed that maybe Mammy's body just broke down, years after her mind did.

Ben had faced loss. Severe loss. First his mother, then his best friend, Emile in a car accident, then his fiance, Annette committed suicide, all in the past six years. He had something good with Annette, something real. They were set to marry two months before she killed herself, before she had tied a rope around her neck and hung herself by the rafters of her attic, leaving behind a note that pushed all blame on herself, until the last line. She had typed it out and put his name in a black Sharpied heart, then typed out the four words she knew would hurt the most.

"You were a mistake."

He finished dinner, threw out the platter and spritzed Clorox onto the table, before wiping it down hard. Work was easy, it always had been, a simple accounting job, but lately Ben had been distracted and restless, rethinking and reliving his life.

“You were a mistake”

He had taken to sitting down in his mother's old blue Laz-E-Boy, rips and little burned holes covering almost every inch of the dilapidated chair. Ben got a gun, a nice G19 Glock a couple years back, after Annette feared robbers, because of a string of robberies in the apartment complex next door.

“You were a mistake”

He fiddled with it now, throwing it from hand to hand, pondering his life. What was the point of it anyway? He had no family, no friends, no wife, nothing. Even at work, he was quiet and antisocial. Who would miss him if he were to move to Alaska or something? Would anyone come to his funeral if he were to die?

“You were a mistake”

Ben threw the gun to the floor and stood, shaking his head and wringing his fingers. He nervously paced the bright white carpet for a bit, running his shaking fingers through his hair, before going to his bedroom, laying on the bed and staring up at the ceiling. It still smelled of her. For months after, he had hysterically pressed her clothes to his face, letting the scent of sugar and vanilla drift into nose, letting it trigger memories from years ago, when they met in high school. Maria wasn't the first maid he had; Selena, the last one had gone into his bedroom and washed all the clothing taking away the last essence of the girl he loved so much.

He was silent for a while, the evening turning to night as the sun dissapeared for good. What was he now? Twenty-seven? At this point, shouldn't he have a wife, maybe one or two kids running around? Where was his silver lining, his memoir about surviving an alcohol ruled life? That's what he did, of course. Survived, right?

The walls were bright red, repainted annually by Ben himself. The floor here wasn't carpeted, but glazed wood, the patterns playing tricks on Ben's mind, reminding him of the roaches that sat dead in the bathtub in that apartment back in Brooklyn.

Finally, he went out, to the cabinet in the far left corner of the kitchen, his fingers shaking as he grabbed the bottle of Hennessy, the pack of Marbolos, the barely used diamond ring and his ratty Superman toy. He didn't have a problem, he assured himself as this once-in-a-blue-moon thing, turned into a nightly ritual.

He lit the cigarette and took a long drag, reclining back into Mammy's chair before chugging down vodka, until his eyes began to tear and his stomach began to burn. He picked up the remote and turned on the little, black TV onto the news. After listening about children starving and mothers stabbing and men raping, Ben zoned out, letting the news anchor's voice of death become white noise. He felt himself relaxing, was almost at the point where he stopped thinking, when he saw the gun still laying on the floor.

“You were a mistake”

A flood of anger rushed through him and he threw the bottle against the wall, enjoying the sound of it breaking, the shattered glass laying on the floor, vodka sliding down the blood red walls. Why him? Why did all this happen to him? Dead mother. Dead best friend. Dead fiance. Dead. Dead. Dead. That's all he had in his life. Death.

He stood, wavering slightly at the dizziness, before grabbing the gun with the same want a child would grab a toy that he wasn't allowed to have. He opened and closed the chamber a couple times before aiming it at the TV and pulling the trigger. A loud bang resonated,then shattering glass and Ben flinched back, dropping the loaded gun onto the floor.

Voices skipped around his head, screaming and flitting around like moths to light. Ben noticed someone laughing, a cackling, hysterical sounding thing; the sound of someone slowly going insane. It took a while until he realized it was him. The cigarette was on the floor and Ben bent over and picked it up, pressing the burning edge to his arm, wanting, needing to feel something real. It didn't hurt.

He threw the cigarette to the ground, stamping on it with his socked foot, in the same manner his mother had over almost twenty years before. The gun, now hanging loosely in his hand, now had a point. He shoved it in his mouth, tears dancing down his face, from the vodka or from the pathetic life he lived, he wasn't sure.

“You were a mistake”

“You were a mistake”

“You were a mistake”

“You were a mistake”

He cocked the gun and pulled the trigger, finally becoming a mistake no more.

~*~

It needs help. A lot of help. Mostly grammar and structure and whether it makes sense and shtuff. Yeah.
Last edited by Jas on Tue Mar 15, 2011 4:10 am, edited 4 times in total.
I am nothing
but a mouthful of 'sorry's, half-hearted
apologies that roll of my tongue, smoothquick, like 'r's
or maybe like pocket candy
that's just a bit too sweet.

~*~

3821 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 3821
Mon Mar 14, 2011 12:32 am
Snoink says...

Oy. Haven't read the first part but...

He's a grown man at 32. Yeah, moms play a big part in our lives, etc., etc. But he's an adult. Most likely, he's encountered other people, besides his mom, and had to deal with it. And most likely, other people played a role in shaping his life besides his mom. Failed relationships, for example, can be key at this for this particular man.

So yeah. Not buying it. Expand his horizon.
Ubi caritas est vera, Deus ibi est.

"The mark of your ignorance is the depth of your belief in injustice and tragedy. What the caterpillar calls the end of the world, the Master calls the butterfly." ~ Richard Bach

Moth and Myth <- My comic! :D

1259 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 1259
Tue Mar 15, 2011 5:53 pm
Firestarter says...

And most likely, other people played a role in shaping his life besides his mom. Failed relationships, for example, can be key at this for this particular man.

Karina, did you even read the second part? Ben's character also experiences his fiance killing herself and partially blaming him. It's not fair on the writer if you don't read it properly.

So, anyway, I'm here as requested. I decided to condense my reviews of both parts here because it makes more sense that way.

My main concern is the plot. You've divided the story into a brief snapshot of his life as a child, and then jumping forward to his suicide as an adult. I read the first part and thought to myself, I hope this isn't a suicide story. Because it's too obvious a route to go. But you have done that and I want to talk to you about why I don't think it works. You're asking us to sympathise with Ben despite only receiving two tiny snapshots of his life. Neither scene exactly fizzles with conflict. In part 1, it seems more of a exploration of his mother. Ben is too young for us to understand him. In part 2, we've missed all the conflict, we've missed his whole life, and suddenly he's dead. You've shown us the start and end, and nothing in between. And so it lacks depth, because we know nothing of Ben, except for what is infodumped on us in part 2.

Furthermore, I don't actually get why Ben commits suicide. Why on this day in particular? It seems more likely he would kill himself after finding his fiance dead, rather than wait a while and then suddenly crack out of the blue with no stimulus.

Stories ending with suicide of the MC give no pay-off to the reader, either. The character hasn't grown; he's just given up and killed himself. He didn't succeed despite his troubled upbringing, he didn't beat the odds, he didn't fight. He just sucks his thumb as a kid, and then blows his brains out as an adult. Why should I care? What makes me want to care in this story? There's not a lot there.

Character problems I've mentioned for Ben. I thought your descriptions of his mother in part 1 were good. I think if you took sargsauce's advice in part 1 and tried a few new things, I believe you could paint a believable part 2 where maybe he doesn't kill himself, but goes on to do some good despite his mother's death. Also, what happened to Aunt Amanda?

I realise you said this was for a class on Thursday so you might ignore all this advice and try and salvage what you have. There's plenty of grammar mistakes and tense errors that you really need to find. I won't do all the work, because it's mostly boring and I'm not here to do your editing when I can't even be bothered to do my own most of the time. But here's some examples:

Ben Williamson closed the door, carefully placed his coat in the closet, next to the bright blue ladies winter coat and sat down to his microwave dinner

You need a comma after coat. I'd suggest removing the one after closet to make that a tighter bracketing comma in the middle of the sentence.

The condo was immacutely cleaned, thanks to Maria who came Tuesdays and Thursdays

There's no need for a comma here.

I'd suggest reviewing the general rules for using commas because I'm not sure you've got it down. I know they can be tricky because I misuse them all the time. Scanning through your story, I do see a regular number of incorrect commas that make reading your sentences very odd.

Ben done the exact same thing

did.

The doctors said it was a mixture alcohol posioning

*poisoning. A simple spell-check should have caught this!

He was silent for a while, the evening turning to night as the sun dissapeared for good

*disappeared. Same for this -- please remember to spell-check! If it's for class, doubly so. Teachers always check spelling & grammar, and you can get some easy marks but getting it all correct.

Anyway, good luck and hope this helped.
Nate wrote:And if YWS ever does become a company, Jack will be the President of European Operations. In fact, I'm just going to call him that anyways.

114 Reviews

Reviews: 114
Wed Mar 16, 2011 12:39 am
Razcoon says...

Squishy m'dear, as revenge for telling me to review (I'm not a no-sayer! xP), I shall be as mean as possible! Okay just kinda nitpicky. Just...yeah. xDD I have three other PMs to attend to besides yours. Aw, hell...I'll edit in later. Like after I read my other PMs. I'm curious. *procrastinates*

[EDIT] Okay, so one of the PMs was from myself. Another was from Jenthura. The third was from Ellie-bean (Aka Elinor Brynn), who asked out her boy and he said he'll think about it! (Eeeeeeeee!)

Back on topic. I am setting it up. I will edit things in. I promise! Maybe.

Spoiler! :
jasminebells wrote:Ben Williamson closed the door, carefully placed his coat in the closet, next to the bright blue ladies winter coat and sat down to his microwave dinner. The condo was immacutely cleaned, thanks to Maria who came Tuesdays and Thursdays. This wasn't home to Ben, not anymore.

jasminebells wrote:Day after day, week after week, month after month, Ben done the exact same thing. He'd gotten himself into a rut, stuck in the same basic routine. He refused to do anything out of the ordinary ever since his mother died six years before, since his best friend died four years before, since his fiance died six months ago. The doctors said it was a mixture alcohol posioning and drug overdose but Ben believed that maybe Mammy's body just broke down, years after her mind did. 

jasminebells wrote:Ben had faced loss. Severe loss. First his mother, then his best friend, Emile in a car accident, then his fiance, Annette committed suicide, all in the past six years. He had something good with Annette, something real. They were set to marry two months before she killed herself, before she had tied a rope around her neck and hung herself by the rafters of her attic, leaving behind a note that pushed all blame on herself, until the last line. She had typed it out and put his name in a black Sharpied heart, then typed out the four words she knew would hurt the most.

"You were a mistake."

jasminebells wrote:He finished dinner, threw out the platter and spritzed Clorox onto the table, before wiping it down hard. Work was easy, it always had been, a simple accounting job, but lately Ben had been distracted and restless, rethinking and reliving his life.  

“You were a mistake”

jasminebells wrote:He had taken to sitting down in his mother's old blue Laz-E-Boy, rips and little burned holes covering almost every inch of the dilapidated chair. Ben got a gun, a nice G19 Glock a couple years back, after Annette feared robbers, because of a string of robberies in the apartment complex next door. 

“You were a mistake”

jasminebells wrote:He fiddled with it now, throwing it from hand to hand, pondering his life. What was the point of it anyway? He had no family, no friends, no wife, nothing. Even at work, he was quiet and antisocial. Who would miss him if he were to move to Alaska or something? Would anyone come to his funeral if he were to die? 

“You were a mistake”

jasminebells wrote:Ben threw the gun to the floor and stood, shaking his head and wringing his fingers. He nervously paced the bright white carpet for a bit, running his shaking fingers through his hair, before going to his bedroom, laying on the bed and staring up at the ceiling. It still smelled of her. For months after, he had hysterically pressed her clothes to his face, letting the scent of sugar and vanilla drift into nose, letting it trigger memories from years ago, when they met in high school. Maria wasn't the first maid he had; Selena, the last one had gone into his bedroom and washed all the clothing taking away the last essence of the girl he loved so much.

jasminebells wrote:He was silent for a while, the evening turning to night as the sun dissapeared for good. What was he now? Twenty-seven? At this point, shouldn't he have a wife, maybe one or two kids running around? Where was his silver lining, his memoir about surviving an alcohol ruled life? That's what he did, of course. Survived, right?

jasminebells wrote:The walls were bright red, repainted annually by Ben himself. The floor here wasn't carpeted, but glazed wood, the patterns playing tricks on Ben's mind, reminding him of the roaches that sat dead in the bathtub in that apartment back in Brooklyn.

jasminebells wrote:Finally, he went out, to the cabinet in the far left corner of the kitchen, his fingers shaking as he grabbed the bottle of Hennessy, the pack of Marbolos, the barely used diamond ring and his ratty Superman toy. He didn't have a problem, he assured himself as this once-in-a-blue-moon thing, turned into a nightly ritual.

jasminebells wrote:He lit the cigarette and took a long drag, reclining back into Mammy's chair before chugging down vodka, until his eyes began to tear and his stomach began to burn. He picked up the remote and turned on the little, black TV onto the news. After listening about children starving and mothers stabbing and men raping, Ben zoned out, letting the news anchor's voice of death become white noise. He felt himself relaxing, was almost at the point where he stopped thinking, when he saw the gun still laying on the floor. 

“You were a mistake”

jasminebells wrote:A flood of anger rushed through him and he threw the bottle against the wall, enjoying the sound of it breaking, the shattered glass laying on the floor, vodka sliding down the blood red walls. Why him? Why did all this happen to him? Dead mother. Dead best friend. Dead fiance. Dead. Dead. Dead. That's all he had in his life. Death.

jasminebells wrote:He stood, wavering slightly at the dizziness, before grabbing the gun with the same want a child would grab a toy that he wasn't allowed to have. He opened and closed the chamber a couple times before aiming it at the TV and pulling the trigger. A loud bang resonated, then shattering glass and Ben flinched back, dropping the loaded gun onto the floor.

jasminebells wrote:Voices skipped around his head, screaming and flitting around like moths to light. Ben noticed someone laughing, a cackling, hysterical sounding thing; the sound of someone slowly going insane. It took a while until he realized it was him. The cigarette was on the floor and Ben bent over and picked it up, pressing the burning edge to his arm, wanting, needing to feel something real. It didn't hurt.

jasminebells wrote:He threw the cigarette to the ground, stamping on it with his socked foot, in the same manner his mother had over almost twenty years before. The gun, now hanging loosely in his hand, now had a point. He shoved it in his mouth, tears dancing down his face, from the vodka or from the pathetic life he lived, he wasn't sure.  

“You were a mistake”

“You were a mistake” 

“You were a mistake” 

“You were a mistake”

jasminebells wrote:He cocked the gun and pulled the trigger, finally becoming a mistake no more.
Ideas don't stay in heads very long because they don't like solitary confinement.

84 Reviews

Reviews: 84
Wed Mar 16, 2011 4:00 am
HostofHorus says...

Hey there, you should know how I review, so I'll just get to it!

Grammar:

Day after day, week after week, month after month, Ben had done the exact same thing.

The doctors said it was a mixture of alcohol poisoning and drug overdose

sugar and vanilla drift into his nose,

After listening about children starving, and mothers stabbing, and men raping, Ben zoned out, letting the news anchor's voice of death become white noise.

Questions/Suggestions: I don't really have any suggestions for the most part besides don't write such sad stuff =P haha jeez tear my heart out.... Anywho the only question I have is this, what was the motivation behind these two pieces? I'm curious.

Likes: I liked the story a lot, in a way that is. I don't like the depressing part. =P Still though, it was really pretty good, I agree with Firestarter that it kind of lacks a middle, but I don't know if it exactly needs it. It's up to you, it might add more substance and make it a little more intriguing and less confusing. I wish there as many metaphors here as you had in the first!

Overall: Good work. I think I have pretty much told you everything I have to say, so there is not much to put here. You seem to like listing stuff a lot, and I guess I issue you a warning. They can easily turn into run ons. This one wasn't too bad, but I can see where they could be considered run ons. Just make sure your careful with that. Thanks for the request, and let me know if you have any questions or would like another review!

-HostofHorus
HostofHorus Author, Poet, Dreamer, and Expressionist.
http://JRSStories.com
Stories Poems © As of January 1st 2014

Need a review? Feel free to ask me! :)

336 Reviews

Reviews: 336
Wed Mar 16, 2011 1:02 pm
Jas says...

Thanks! :)
I am nothing
but a mouthful of 'sorry's, half-hearted
apologies that roll of my tongue, smoothquick, like 'r's
or maybe like pocket candy
that's just a bit too sweet.

~*~

But answer me this: how can a story end happily if there is no love?
— Kate DiCamillo, The Miraculous Journey of Edward Tulane