z

Young Writers Society

Nicholas : Part One {final edit}

17 Reviews

Reviews: 17
Thu Jan 06, 2011 12:07 am
parigirle says...

Hey guys! So this is the first thing I've posted here... I would very much appreciate any and all critiques, opinions, and whatnot. Please, be as harsh as you can. I really want to know what I'm doing wrong, and I'm sure there's a lot of that. x)

The title isn't cemented yet. My plots usually change course and a lot of my original idea changes, so I don't usually choose a title until the end. :s I'm trying, but I just can't come up with a title right at the beginning.

Just a warning: There is a huge medical aspect to this! Part One isn't bad at all, but there is an autopsy and surgeries later on in the novel{la}... if you're squeamish, don't read. xD I wasn't sure what rating medical scenes would earn the book, so if you have an opinion, please tell me. Oh, and it is kind of long: 2581 words. I don't think that's too bad...

Without any further ado...

Nicholas

Despite what the movies would have you believe, a marriage is never fifty-fifty. Sometimes it's sixty-forty, even seventy-thirty; there is a person who falls in love first, and a person who falls in love next. There is a person who worships the other. There is a person who loves more, gives more, tries harder, and keeps the ship running smoothly - and there is a person who is just along for the ride.

In the case of my marriage, I was always the thirty, maybe even the twenty. You would think it's harder to be the person who loves more - and I would tell you that you're wrong.

“Perfect.”

I glanced at my wife. She absently tucked a lock of hair behind her ear as she adjusted the floral arrangement for the hundredth time that night; ‘tweaking’, she called it. She would pull a petal one way, and then frown and pull it back into its original position. When I asked her why, all she said was that it had to be perfect.

“Elizabeth,” I said, putting a hand on her shoulder. The dress was heavy purple silk and low-cut, leaving her shoulder bare, and I noticed how her skin flushes as soon as I touched it. Three years, and she still had this reaction to me. She moved the flower again, and I repeated myself. “Elizabeth.”

Her eyes sparkled as she looked up at me. Sometimes, it was so hard not to love her, even though I didn’t. Her lips were full and faultless, parted questioningly – her eyes danced. “What?”

“I think it’s good now.”

She turned away from me, striding over to the next table and tugging at the centerpiece there. I followed her, standing behind her and slipping my hands around her waist. Resting my chin on her shoulder, I said, “Even Dad won’t be able to complain with this.”

Elizabeth turned in my embrace, so she was looking at me. I placed my hands on the table behind her, trapping her there, determined not to let her move until she finally accepts that the decorations for my father – the noble Robert James Prescott the Second – were, in fact, perfect.

“He’ll love it.”

She sighed. “I’m just scared he won’t.”

She always tried too hard to please him, when it really wasn’t necessary. “He loves you.” At any rate, he adored my wife more than I did.

She smiled mischievously at me. “I know he loves me, but do you?”

I smiled back at her, even though it was more like a grimace, and gestured around me. “I love your decorations.”

She was about to say something, but Elizabeth caught sight of the clock behind me. She squirmed out from my grip, saying, “Shit. He’s going to be here in less than five minutes! Look professional, Nicholas.”

I rolled my eyes. “I wear a suit everyday. I think I know how to look professional in one.”

“Actually, your tie is crooked.”

She fixed it, her slender fingers lingering on my chest longer than absolutely necessary. Elizabeth was left-handed, and I caught sight of the thin, gold, band around her ring finger. I had a similar one on mine, although it was a little thicker, more masculine.

“Beautiful, absolutely beautiful.”

We turned around quickly to see my father. He was sitting in his wheelchair and clapping his hands, smiling broadly. His attendant, young Jeremiah, gripped the wheelchair tightly and cast a critical eye around the hall. It may not have been the most magnificent, but Elizabeth and were tight for money, despite my father’s riches. Although the public believed differently, we earned our money the old-fashioned way, and didn’t take charity from Robert Prescott.

“I love it,” he said. “I really do. Good job, Elizabeth.”

My wife flushed with pride and embarrassment – she could never take a compliment, especially from my father – and I moved forward to meet him. For as long as I could remember, my relationship with my father had been cordial and courteous, formal. The only times he had told me he loved me was when I almost died as a nine-year-old, and when my mother died. It was a statement about our relationship that someone needed to come close to death for him to say I love you.

“Hello, Father,” I said, offering him my right hand.

He didn’t take it. “Your tie is crooked.”

My left hand flew to my throat, fixing the knot that Elizabeth had adjusted less than two minutes ago. I let my other hand drop. “You look better today.”

“I might be dying, but I’m not dead yet.”

Elizabeth came up. She obviously had not heard me, because she repeated exactly what I just said – “Mr. Prescott, you look a lot better today!”

He beamed at her. “Why, thank you, Elizabeth.”

She offered to show him to his seat – the chair at the head of the huge table in the center of the hall – and took the wheelchair from Jeremiah. I stood beside him, ducking my head and tucking my hands into my pocket, feeling his questioning gaze on me.

The hall quickly filled up with people. I lingered near the door, pretending I was standing there to greet all the guests, since my father couldn’t. I shook hands with and took coats from a seemingly endless line of dignitaries and other people who believed my father actually liked them, counting them one by one.

She was the forty-second person to arrive.

I saw her before she saw me, and pulled at the collar of my shirt - a nervous habit.

Her long, red hair, as bright as any fire, was swept up and coiled around her head, tantalizing curls slipping out of the pins and framing her face. The dress she wore was strapless and had a deep neck, and a long slit up the side. Her perfect red lips smiled at me.

For a moment, she went out of focus and I saw him, standing behind her. Josh Comely. I looked at him, his face, his suit, and then his proprietary arm around her waist.

“Nicholas,” she said, even as Comely pulled her closer towards him. “I’m glad I came.”

I wanted to touch her pearly white skin, trace my finger down the bluish vein over the curve of her neck. Instead I kissed her cheek politely, and then drew away, keeping a careful distance between us. My body screamed at me to step closer; my brain could not stop thinking about the comfortable way Comely handled her.

“Vivian,” I replied. “So glad you could make it.” Forcing a smile onto my face, I turned to Comely. “And Mr. Comely – nice to see you.”

“Same to you, Dr. Prescott.”

I took their coats and stuffed them into the arms of some poor and unsuspecting woman beside me. Vivian gave me a little wave as Comely drew her toward their seats. She turned her head at the last moment and her gaze burned through me before she was whisked away.

I went to my seat, thinking the next twelve guests can find their way to their tables on their own. Elizabeth sat on my left, and my father to my right. I pushed Vivian out of my mind and made small talk with my wife; we talked about the band, relaxed as waiters brought around soup and appetizers. I didn't think about her for almost half an hour. Then, as I was sipping at a glass of water and Elizabeth was talking to her friend, I let my gaze wander.

I knew exactly where her seat was, and watched her talk to Comely. She threw her head back and laughed, a sound I knew by heart. Absent-mindedly, I traced my finger along the rim of the glass, eliciting a high-pitched squeal from it.

Elizabeth whacked my arm, bringing my attention back to my wife. She frowned at me. "You know how I hate it when you do that."

Just then, the main course was brought around – a choice between lobster and roast duck, with potatoes, salad, and more – and then a dessert for everyone. The waiter brought in the four-layer cake and my dad cut it as we sang Happy Birthday; after the remnants of the cake had been cleared away, we started to socialize around bottles of wine, and a glass of water for my father. I’m talking to Elizabeth when she accidentally knocked over my glass. I jerked sideways, knocking over my father’s, too.
“Oh God,” she said, looking like she might cry. “I’m so sorry!” She jumped to her feet, grabbing ornate napkins from the table and dabbing at the cloth, pouring us new glasses. “I’m so, so, so sorry!”

My father smiled gently. “It’s alright, dear.”

It was Elizabeth who suggested a toast. We all raised our glasses in unison as she said, in a voice clear and pure, “To the great Robert James Prescott the Second. To his next forty years!”

The clink of fifty-five glasses echoed around the room. I kept my eye on my father, who was grinning broadly. He took a sip of his water, and set the glass back down.

Within seconds, he was choking. A laugh bubbled from his lips as his chest rose and fell and he laboured to get out breath; chairs fell to the ground as those closest to him moved towards him. I was sitting beside him and fell to my knees as his legs jerked violently and he slid out of the wheelchair, slamming to the ground.

Elizabeth screamed as his limbs jerk rapidly. “Someone call 911!” She knelt down on his other side, looking at me imploringly. Tears sparkled in her eyes. “You’re the doctor, do something!”

“Make sure he doesn’t hit his head,” I ordered. I shifted into automatic mode, something that is familiar to any surgeon - in the face of an emergency, your body starts working on auto-pilot. You become separate from your emotions and see the logical choice, at least until the patient is either stable or dead. My fingers ripped open his clothes and searched for a pulse. I placed my hand over his mouth and nose. His body jerked again, but I could feel no air – he was not breathing.

His eyes rolled back in their sockets and his body fell still.

“The ambulance is coming,” someone yelled. I didn’t place the voice. I didn’t have time.

“He still has a pulse,” I muttered. “But he’s lost consciousness. And he’s not breathing.”

“Do something,” Elizabeth begged.

I leaned down and checked for airway obstruction, then sealed my lips across my father’s, trying to breathe life into him. After a minute, I stopped.

She covered her mouth with her hand and slowly backed away. I looked down at my father in a haze of panic. I had nothing with me – there’s no other action I could take. I felt a sudden rush of air from his mouth, and then his heart stopped.

Immediately I was on him, pumping, but his heart didn’t start beating again. “Live,” I muttered. “You have to live.” I counted the chest compressions – one-one thousand, two-one thousand, three-one thousand – and waited for a miracle.

When the paramedics arrived, I was still pumping desperately, counting slowly. They moved me out of the way and one of them checked his pulse and breathing. They asked me questions I answered in a daze – “Are you a doctor? When did he fall? Were there seizures? Centralized? What was his rhythm before the cardiac arrest? Sinus tach? V-tach? When did he stop breathing?”

I watched as they took out a black bag and heaved his body into it, zipping it all the way up. The sound was jagged, broken, harsh, and carried with it a tone of finality. As they carted the bag out of the hall and sobs erupted around the room, I caught sight of Vivian hovering near the door, Comely trying to drag her out. I let my entire body go limp. Elizabeth caught me before my head hit the ground, and I let myself cry.

#

I managed to get home with Elizabeth supporting me. I marvelled at her strength; her eyes glistened with unshed tears, and there were tracks down her cheeks. Even as I watched, a silvery drop accumulated at the corner of her eye, and she reached up and wiped it off. Her lower lip trembled even as she murmured words of comfort and soothed me, driving me home with one hand stroking my back, and settling me into the bed.

The bed was a gift from my father. It had once been a wedding gift from Robert Prescott the First to his son when he got married to my mother, Marilyn. The great oak structure was a typical four poster bed, with intricate carvings detailing the posts. The scenes of nymphs and elves were too whimsical for my father, but he put up with “the monstrosity”, as he called it, for the sake of my mother.

When I got married, he showed up at my doorstep with the entire bed disassembled, and someone to put it together in our master bedroom. Until that point, we had just been sleeping on a mattress. I was reluctant to take the bed, and all the memories it held, but Elizabeth fell in love with it at first sight, and insisted we keep it.

As she disappeared into the kitchen with the promise of hot food, I stood up and walked to the master bathroom. I looked grimy and disgusting, my eyes puffy and lined with red. Tears had dried in long lines down my cheek. Repulsed by how I look, I reached for the heavy and ornate faucet, and splashed my face with cold water that stung.

My face looked a little cleaner after, although not by much. I found myself scrutinizing my reflection, marking all the similarities to my father as another way to remember him.

We shared the same square jaw and defined cheekbones. My eyes were completely my mother’s; an odd, faded grey-ish blue shade, so pale that many people called them distracting or disconcerting. My hair was the same shade of brown, so dark it was almost black, as my father – my naturally tanned complexion is inherited from my mother, however.

For a minute, my reflection morphed into my father’s. “Stop crying, Nicholas,” his image said.

“Don’t be a child.”

Another hiccup.

“Grow up and man up. Stop crying.”

The words were familiar, and my overworked, grief-wracked brain scrambled to place them. Then I remembered – my mother, the one who loved me and showed it, had just died. She had keeled over of a heart attack and died in minutes. I had been twenty-one, in my second year of medical college, up in Canada for the funeral. The ceremony had been open-casket, and I had gone up to pay my respects to her. I held her hand, delicate and ice-cold, frosted.

She had been the one who had loved me, who had supported me. She had been the one who tucked me in at night and kissed my forehead. She hadn’t even seen me graduate.

I had wanted to say something romantic, but what escaped my mouth was a sob. First one, and then another, and then I was being led away from the casket by my aunt, brought towards my father.

He had looked at me with open and undisguised repulsion. “Stop crying, Nicholas,” he had said. “Don’t be a child. Grow up and man up. Stop crying.”

I had reached out and before I knew it, I had struck him across the cheek, tears pouring down my face.

He didn’t move, a stone statue. “Stop crying,” he repeated. When I didn’t, he had turned away. “You disgust me.”

He had started to walk away. My words had been garbled and choked by the tears. “Damn you,” I had yelled at his back. “You damn coward. There’s no shame in tears!”

He had kept walking.

Now I looked up at his face in front of me. Thinking of her funeral was a dangerous road. I told myself that if my father was here, he’d probably say it again – “Stop crying, Nicholas.”

I turned away from the mirror. When I looked back, the reflection was all mine again. With renewed resolve, I turned on the shower and stripped down while I waited for the water to heat. When it was hot enough to burn - I always took my showers with wildly hot water, something Elizabeth often said was crazy - I stepped inside and let the water wash away any semblance of grief from my body. I scrubbed until my skin is pink and raw, until I was convinced that I’m clean again.

Outside, I donned fresh pajamas, luxuriating in the feel of soft flannel against my skin. Dad hadn’t had have enough time for a death bed wish, but I knew what it would have been – he would have told me not to cry, not to grieve, but to move on with my life. He would’ve been revolted to see me cry and go to pieces, to see me have to rely on Elizabeth just to walk.

What would Vivian say if she saw you like that? Would she still find you attractive?

I shook my head to clear my mind, concentrated on my father. He might be dead; he might never have shown me any real affection – but despite all that, I was half him. Part of him lived on in me, and I could imagine his horror that his own child, his own flesh and blood, could be so... weak. That’s what he would see it as. Weakness. I remembered all the times I dared to show real emotion and he called me weak, or sickening. If I kept up the crying, I would prove him right.

I refused to give him the satisfaction.

I went into the kitchen. Our house was fairly large, as it wasn’t hard to afford a house in a small town: a spacious living-cum-dining room, a decent kitchen, the master bedroom with two guest bedrooms, one of which we turned into a study, one bathroom, one half bath, and a basement with laundry room.

Something simmered on the stove, the aroma rich and mouth-watering. Elizabeth was hunched over the stove, and at first I thought she was stirring the food – then I saw the slow heave of her back as her body shook with sobs.

It scared me. Elizabeth had never dealt well with intense emotion. “Elizabeth,” I whispered, so quietly she didn’t hear me. I thought about how awkward her name sounded on my lips, even after a year of dating and two years of marriage. My tongue didn't curl around the syllables of her name like they did around... To stop that train of thought, I said my wife's louder - "Elizabeth" - and she whipped around.

Quickly she wiped her tears, and somehow forced a smile onto her face, even though it wavered. She must have seen the question perched on my lips, because she said quickly, “I’m fine.”

“Like hell,” I replied.

“I am,” she insisted.

I went up to her and put my hands on her shoulders. At first she refused to meet my gaze; forcefully, I tilted her chin up so she was looking at me. “We’ll get through this,” I said firmly.

“I know.”

“Dad – he wouldn’t have wanted to see you cry.”

She sniffed a bit, wiping her nose with her sleeve, and smiled bravely at me. “Wouldn’t want to let him down.”

“Good,” I said, and clapped my hands together, pointing at the stove. “What’s cooking?”

“Soup,” she said. “Cream of potato.”

I made small talk with her until I was able to convince myself that she’ll be alright, that I’ll be alright, that we’ll be alright. It was only later, when the soup bowls were scraped clean and the salad was done, that I dared to say what I knew must be said.

“Elizabeth...” I trailed off, not wanting to upset her, all the while knowing this was essential.

“What is it?” Her voice was soft.

I forced myself to meet her gaze and speak calmly. “We need to order an autopsy.”

She didn’t say anything. For a minute I thought she would start crying again, but she just stared down at her empty plate, not speaking. Then she looked up, looked at me, and swallowed. And slowly, bravely, she nodded.

I changed a bit so it flows better and decided to switch to past tense because I had trouble consistently writing in present. I also changed the location to Canada, simply because I wanted a place which I had more knowledge of. I think this is my final edit, and I'm moving onto part two. Thank you for all the reviews! :3
Last edited by parigirle on Sat Jan 08, 2011 5:26 pm, edited 8 times in total.

Random avatar

Reviews: 275
Thu Jan 06, 2011 3:00 am
Calligraphy says...

It is great to see you are open to harsh reviews! Though I am not sure if I will be able to give you one, but I will try my best because you requested me.

This is really great and I am interested to read more, but like all writing (of-course) it can be improved.

The first thing I would like to discuss is the title. 'Nicholas' is fine, but one of the rules I keep with writing is never, ever, under no circumstances use a name for a title. O.K. so maybe it isn't 'fine'. XD I just think, that maybe if you had a different name you might get more reviews. It is really just a thought. Names have to draw people in. But, this is really just a note so if you don't think I am right I won't take any offense.

About the rating, I would personally give it no rating, but before you start the story let people know it might be gory. As you will soon see most works are not rated around here.

I must ask, Is this what you plan to be the first part of your book? Is there a prologue you haven't gotten around to writing yet or is this it? Because if it isn't you can ignore the next bit and skip ahead, but if it isn't keep reading.

A beginning has to be perfect. A lead has to draw the readers in. It has to be full of life, maybe something the reader can relate to, it should promise them something exciting is going to happen, or it should promise that some interesting information will be given. It has to get the reader asking questions. A lead has to spark the readers interest. The only reason why I tell you this is because your beginning did none of that for me. Every sentence, every word, has to be perfect. It has to pull you in.

Here are some of the beginnings I find memorable:

There is nothing lonelier than a cat who has been loved, at least for a while, and then abandoned on the side of the road.
- The Underneath by Kathi Appelt.

Well, even if they say life can be shitty, you really don’t know the half of it until you’ve dug up an outhouse.
- Dark Dude by Oscar Hijuelos

You know how sometimes you suddenly get the feel-ing that someone is watching every move you make.
- Popcorn by Gail Levine-Freidus

O.K. I know giving you examples won't help you make a better beginning of your own, but can you see what I mean? Your beginning "Perfect." Just isn't the same. Even your next paragraph dives right into the action. I guess this is O.K, but I would give a paragraph or two to set the scene. Get people interested before you start to talk about the motions of people. I happen to think that a wonderful beginning to this would be your main character talking about how it feels to be married to someone without loving them.

Over-all you have very few grammar mistakes so I'm not going to give you a bunch of little nit-picks. You didn't give us a bunch of medical jargon an average person wouldn't know, you kept your writing consistent throughout, you didn't make promises you couldn't keep, and you kept me interested pretty steadily throughout so I think I have helped (or tried to help you) as much as I can. Plus, it is late and I want to go to bed. XD I will be looking forward to the next chapters.

If you have any questions post on my wall or P.M. me.

Hope I helped,

A. S.

17 Reviews

Thu Jan 06, 2011 3:37 am
parigirle says...

Actually, the name is temporary. I tried out a bunch and nothing is sticking yet, so I just put his name since 'Unnamed' just sounded kind of stupid. XD I'm hoping I'll think of a name that actually works, so Nicholas is just a placeholder.

You're right about the beginning. It is kind of weak, I was hoping to see what others thought and go back and put in a paragraph to actually hook a reader when I do my second rewrite. Thank you so much for the idea&the review.(:

193 Reviews

Reviews: 193
Thu Jan 06, 2011 10:07 pm
AngerManagement says...

Seeing as I've read a story a tad similar to this, my feelings might be a bit conflicted

Okay, on to the review.

I completely agree with what Calligraphy said about the name, and I hope you change it quickly so that people can understand what your story is about, and want to read it. I also loved the beginning of this mostly because I'm a firm believer in it. I'm going to rattle off a few things that I didn't like for example: I don't feel like there was a point to this chapter, I mean, what is this story meant to be about despite his father's death.

What's the bigger story behind it?

I don't think Nicholas's character is big enough. By this I mean, is there any attributes we can connect to him e.g he's hums while he pees, he is extremely twitch etc So there isn't enough to make me -the reader- fall in the love with the character enough for me to want to read another chapter.

Secondly, this sort of read like a short story. Not a novel. This is a good story, but it good be incredibly better.

Sorry this is a short review.

Hope this helped,

Anger :D
Dont tell me the moon is shining, show me the glint of light on broken glass.

Anton Chekov

213 Reviews

Reviews: 213
Fri Jan 07, 2011 4:13 am
SporkPunk says...

Hey there! Sporks here as promised for a review! I'm going to try to be as thorough as I can, which means I'll go through the piece, correcting things and pointing them out as I go along. Technical stuff is in red, word choice is in green, and my own commentary will be in purple. Right then, let's get to reviewing. :D I'm not going to set out to be mean, but I won't try to be as nice as normal, since you asked for harsh. :P

Despite what the movies would have you believe, a marriage is never fifty-fifty. Sometimes it's sixty-forty, even seventy-thirty; there is a person who falls in love first, and a person who falls in love next. There is a person who worships the other. There is a person who loves more, gives more, tries harder, and keeps the ship running smoothly - and there is a person who is just along for the ride.

In the case of my marriage, I was always the thirty, maybe even the twenty. You would think it's harder to be the person who loves more - and I would tell you that you're wrong.

“Perfect.”

I glance at my wife. She absently tucks a lock of hair behind her ear as she adjusts the floral arrangement for the hundredth time that night; ‘tweaking’, she calls it. She would pull a petal one way, and then frown and pull it back into its original position. When I asked her why, all she said was that it had to be perfect.

“Elizabeth,” I say, putting a hand on her shoulder. The dress is heavy purple silk and low-cut, leaving her shoulder bare, and I notice how her skin flushes as soon as I touch it. Three years, and she still has this reaction to me. She moves the flower again, and I repeat myself. “Elizabeth.”

Her eyes sparkle as she looks up at me. Sometimes, it is so hard not to love her, even though I don’t. Her lips are full and faultless, parted questioningly – her eyes dance. “What?”

“I think it’s good now.”

She turns away from me, striding over to the next table and tugging at the centerpiece there. I follow her, standing behind her and slipping my hands around her waist. Resting my chin on her shoulder, I say, “Even Dad won’t be able to complain with this.”

Elizabeth rotates in my embrace, so she is looking at me. I place my hands on the table behind her, trapping her there, determined not to let her move until she finally accepts that the decorations for my father – the noble Robert James Prescott the Second – are, in fact, perfect.

“He’ll love it.”

She sighs. “I’m just scared he won’t.”

Is there a particular reason this is in present tense? Present tense is used mainly to convey a sense of urgency, which I don't think REALLY matches, but this is only the first part. When it doesn't really fit, it seems kind of awkward. But it's your call.

She always tries too hard to please him, when it really isn’t necessary. “He loves you.” At any rate, he adores my wife more than I do.

She smiles mischievously at me. “I know he loves me, but do you?”

I smile back at her, even though it is more like a grimace, and gesture around me. “I love your decorations.”

She is about to say something, but Elizabeth catches sight of the clock behind me. She squirms out from my grip, saying, “Shit. He’s going to be here in less than five minutes! Look professional, Nicholas.”

I roll my eyes. “I wear a suit everyday. I think I know how to look professional in one.”

“Actually, your tie is crooked.”

She fixes it, her slender fingers lingering on my chest longer than absolutely necessary. Elizabeth is left-handed, and I catch sight of the thin, gold, band around her ring finger. I have a similar one on mine, although it is a little thicker, more masculine.

“Beautiful, absolutely beautiful.”

We turn around quickly to see my father. He’s sitting in his wheelchair and clapping his hands, smiling broadly. His attendant, young Jeremiah, grips the wheelchair tightly and casts a critical eye around the hall. It may not be the most magnificent, but Elizabeth and I are tight for money, despite my father’s riches. Although the public believes differently, we earn our money the old-fashioned way, and don’t take charity from Robert Prescott.

“I love it,” he says. “I really do. Good job, Elizabeth.”

My wife flushes with pride and embarrassment – she could never take a compliment, especially from my father – and I move forward to meet him. For as long as I can remember, my relationship with my father has been cordial and courteous, formal. The only times he has told me he loved me was when I almost died as a nine-year-old, and when my mother died. It was a statement about our relationship that someone needed to come close to death for him to say I love you.

“Hello, Father,” I say, offering him my left hand. Why the left hand? Most cultures, if they shake hands, shake with the right one.

He doesn’t take it. “Your tie is crooked.”

My right hand flies to my throat, fixing the knot that Elizabeth had adjusted less than two minutes ago. I let my other hand drop. “You look better today.”

“I might be dying, but I’m not dead yet.”

Elizabeth comes up. She obviously has not heard me, because she repeats exactly what I just said – “Mr. Prescott, you look a lot better today!”

He beams at her. “Why, thank you, Elizabeth.”

She offers to show him to his seat – the chair at the head of the huge table in the center of the hall – and takes the wheelchair from Jeremiah. I stand beside him, ducking my head and tucking my hands into my pocket, feeling his questioning gaze on me.

The hall quickly fills up with people. I linger near the door, pretending I’m standing there to greet all the guests, since my father can’t. I shake hands with and take coats from a seemingly endless line of dignitaries and other people who believe my father actually likes them, counting them one by one.

She’s the forty-second person to arrive.

I see her before she sees me, and pull at the collar of my shirt - a nervous habit.

Her long, red hair, as bright as any fire, is swept up and coiled around her head, tantalizing curls slipping out of the pins and framing her face. The dress she wears is strapless and has a deep neck, and a long slit up the side. Her perfect red lips smile at me.

For a moment, she goes out of focus and I see him, standing behind her. Josh Comely. I look at him, his face, his suit, and then his proprietary arm around her waist.

“Nicholas,” she says, even as Comely pulls her closer towards him. “I’m glad I came.”

I want to touch her pearly white skin, trace my finger down the bluish vein over the curve of her neck. Instead I kiss her cheek politely, and then draw away, keeping a careful distance between us. My body screams at me to step closer; my brain cannot stop thinking about the comfortable way Comely handles her.

“Vivian,” I reply. “So glad you could make it.” Forcing a smile onto my face, I turn to Comely. “And Mr. Comely – nice to see you.”

“Same to you, Dr. Prescott.”

I take their coats and stuff them into the arms of some poor and unsuspecting woman beside me. Vivian gives me a little wave as Comely draws her toward their seats. She turns her head at the last moment and her gaze burns through me before she is whisked away.

I go to my seat, thinking the next twelve guests can find their way to their tables on their own. Elizabeth sits on my left, and my father to my right. I push Vivian out of my mind and make small talk with my wife; we talk about the band, relax as waiters bring around soup and appetizers. I don't think about her for almost half an hour. Then, as I am sipping at a glass of water and Elizabeth is talking to her friend, I let my gaze wander.

I know exactly where her seat is, and watch her talk to Comely. She throws her head back and laughs, a sound I know by heart. Absent-mindedly, I trace my finger along the rim of the glass, eliciting a high-pitched squeal from it.

Elizabeth whacks my arm, bringing my attention back to her. She frowns at me. "You know how I hate it when you do that."

Just then, the main course is brought around – a choice between lobster and roast duck, with potatoes, salad, and more – and then a dessert for everyone. The waiter brings in the four-layer cake and my dad cuts it as we sing Happy Birthday; after the remnants of the cake have been cleared away, we start to socialize around bottles of wine, and a glass of water for my father.

It is Elizabeth who suggests a toast. We all raise our glasses in unison as she says, in a voice clear and pure, “To the great Robert James Prescott the Second. To his next forty years!”

The clink of fifty-five glasses echoes around the room. I keep my eye on my father, who is grinning broadly. He takes a sip of his water, and sets the glass back down.

Within seconds, he’s choking. A laugh bubbles from his lips as his chest rises and falls and he labours to get out breath; chairs fall to the ground as those closest to him move towards him. I’m sitting beside him and fall to my knees as his legs jerk violently and he slides out of the wheelchair, slamming to the ground.

Elizabeth screams as his limbs jerk rapidly. “Someone call 911!” She kneels down on his other side, looking at me imploringly. Tears sparkle in her eyes. “You’re the doctor, do something!”

“Make sure he doesn’t hit his head,” I order. I shift into automatic mode, something that is familiar to any surgeon - in the face of an emergency, your body starts working on auto-pilot. You become separate from your emotions and see the logical choice, at least until the patient is either stable or dead. My fingers rip open his clothes and search for a pulse. I place my hand over his mouth and nose. His body jerks again, but I can feel no air – he’s not breathing.

His eyes roll back in their sockets and his body falls still.

“The ambulance is coming,” someone yells. I don’t place the voice. I don’t have time.

“He still has a pulse,” I mutter. “But he’s lost consciousness.”

“Do something,” Elizabeth begs.

I look up at her. “There’s nothing I can do.”

I know you probably already know this, but just as a reiteration: since you're writing this and are using a lot of medical scenarios, make sure your research is watertight. Inaccuracies in books are awful, awful things. Especially if those inaccuracies further the plot.

She covers her mouth with her hand and slowly backs away. I look down at my father in a haze of panic. I have nothing with me – there’s no action I can take. I feel a sudden rush of air from his mouth, and then his heart stops. Immediately I’m on him, pumping, but his heart doesn’t stop do you mean "start?" beating again. “Live,” I mutter. “You have to live.” I count the chest compressions – one-one thousand, two-one thousand, three-one thousand – and wait for a miracle.

When the paramedics arrive, I’m still pumping desperately, counting slowly. They move me out of the way and one of them checks his pulse and breathing. They ask me questions I answer in a daze – “Are you a doctor? When did he fall? Were there seizures? Centralized? What was his rhythm before the cardiac arrest? Sinus tach? V-tach? When did he stop breathing?”

I watch as they take out a black bag and heave his body into it, zipping it all the way up. The sound is jagged, broken, harsh, and carries with it a tone of finality. As they cart the bag out of the hall and sobs erupt around the room, I catch sight of Vivian hovering near the door, Comely trying to drag her out. I let my entire body go limp. Elizabeth catches me before my head hits the ground, and I let myself cry.

#

I manage to get home with Elizabeth supporting me. I marvel at her strength; her eyes glisten with unshed tears, and there are tracks down her cheeks. Even as I watch, a silvery drop accumulates at the corner of her eye, and she reaches up and wipes it off. Her lower lip trembles even as she murmurs words of comfort and soothes me, driving me home with one hand stroking my back, and settling me into the bed.

The bed is a gift from my father. It had once been a wedding gift from Robert Prescott the First to his son when he got married to my mother, Marilyn. The great oak structure was a typical four poster bed, with intricate carvings detailing the posts. The scenes of nymphs and elves were too whimsical for my father, but he put up with “the monstrosity”, as he called it, for the sake of my mother.

When I got married, he showed up at my doorstep with the entire bed disassembled, and someone to put it together in our master bedroom. Until that point, we had just been sleeping on a mattress. I was reluctant to take the bed, and all the memories it held, but Elizabeth fell in love with it at first sight, and insisted we keep it.

As she disappears into the kitchen with the promise of hot food, I stand up and walk to the master bathroom. I look grimy and disgusting, my eyes puffy and lined with red. Tears have dried in long lines down my cheek. Repulsed by how I look, I reach for the heavy and ornate faucet, and splash my face with cold water that stings.

My face looks a little cleaner after, although not by much. I find myself scrutinizing my reflection, marking all the similarities to my father as another way to remember him.

We share the same square jaw and defined cheekbones. My eyes are completely my mother’s; an odd, faded grey-ish blue shade, so pale that many people called them distracting or disconcerting. My hair is the same shade of brown, so dark it was I think this should be "is" in order to maintain parallel structure. almost black, as my father – my naturally tanned complexion is inherited from my mother, however.

For a minute, my reflection morphs into my father’s. “Stop crying, Nicholas,” his image says.

“Don’t be a child.”

Another hiccup.

“Grow up and man up. Stop crying.”

The words are familiar, and my overworked, grief-wracked brain scrambles to place them. Then I remember – my mother, the one who loved me and showed it, had just died. She keeled over of a heart attack and died in minutes. I was twenty-one, in my second year of medical college, up in Maine for the funeral. MAINE MAINE MAINE! I LIVE IN MAINE! :smt003 The ceremony was open-casket, and I went up to pay my respects to her. I held her hand, delicate and ice-cold, frosted.

She was the one who had loved me, who had supported me. She was the one who tucked me in at night and kissed my forehead. She didn’t even get to see me graduate.

I wanted to say something romantic, but what escaped my mouth was a sob. First one, and then another, and then I was being led away from the casket by my aunt, brought towards my father.

He looked at me with open and undisguised repulsion. “Stop crying, Nicholas,” he said. “Don’t be a child. Grow up and man up. Stop crying.”

I reached out and before I knew it, I struck him across the cheek, tears pouring down my face.

He didn’t move, a stone statue. “Stop crying,” he repeated. When I didn’t, he turned away. “You disgust me.”
He started to walk away. My words were garbled and choked by the tears. “Damn you,” I yelled at his back. “You damn coward. There’s no shame in tears!”

He kept walking.

Now I look up at his face in front of me. Thinking of her funeral is a dangerous road. I tell myself that if my father was here, he’d probably say it again – “Stop crying, Nicholas.”

I turn away from the mirror. When I look back, the reflection is all mine again. With renewed resolve, I turn on the shower and strip down while I wait for the water to heat. When it’s hot enough to burn - I always take my showers with wildly hot water, something Elizabeth often says is crazy - I step inside and let the water wash away any semblance of grief from my body. I scrub until my skin is pink and raw, until I’m convinced that I’m clean again.

Outside, I don fresh pajamas, luxuriating in the feel of soft flannel against my skin. Dad didn’t have enough time for a death bed wish, but I know what it would have been – he would have told me not to cry, not to grieve, but to move on with my life. He would’ve been revolted to see me cry and go to pieces, to see me have to rely on Elizabeth just to walk.

What would Vivian say if she saw you like that? Would she still find you attractive?

I shake my head to clear my mind, concentrate on my father. He might be dead. The period here kind of warps the intention of this sentence. At first, my thoughts were, "Well, clearly. He was in a body bag. ...You're a doctor. But then I see what you mean later in the next sentence. To clarify what's going on here, I suggest combining the two sentences. "He might be dead, he might never...." See what I mean? He might never have shown me any real affection – but despite all that, I was half him. Part of him lived on in me, and I could imagine his horror that his own child, his own flesh and blood, could be so... weak. That’s what he would see it as. Weakness. I remember all the times I dared to show real emotion and he called me weak, or sickening. If I keep up the crying, I will prove him right.

I refuse to give him the satisfaction.

I go into the kitchen. Our apartment is small: a cramped living-cum-dining room, a decent kitchen, the master bedroom with full bath, one half bath, and a tiny guest room that we turned into my study. Overall it’s tiny, but it’s just me and Elizabeth living in it.

Something simmers on the stove, the aroma rich and mouth-watering. Elizabeth is hunched over the stove, and at first I think she’s stirring the food – then I see the slow heave of her back as her body shakes with sobs.

It scares me. Elizabeth has never dealt well with intense emotion. “Elizabeth,” I whisper, so quietly she doesn't hear me. I think about how awkward her name sounds on my lips, even after a year of dating and two years of marriage. My tongue doesn't curl around the syllables of her name like they do around... To stop that train of thought, I say my wife's louder - "Elizabeth" - and she whips around.

Quickly she wipes her tears, and somehow forces a smile onto her face, even though it wavers. She must see question perched on my lips, because she says quickly, “I’m fine.”

“Like hell,” I reply.

“I am,” she insists.

I go up to her and put my hands on her shoulders. At first she refuses to meet my gaze; forcefully, I tilt her chin up so she’s looking at me. “We’ll get through this,” I say, a promise.

“I know.”

“Dad – he wouldn’t have wanted to see you cry.”

She sniffs a bit, wiping her nose with her sleeve, and smiles bravely at me. “Wouldn’t want to let him down.”

“Good,” I say, and clap my hands together, pointing at the stove. “What’s cooking?”

“Soup,” she says. “Cream of potato.”

I make small talk with her until I am able to convince myself that she’ll be alright, that I’ll be alright, that we’ll be alright. It is only later, when the soup bowls are scraped clean and the salad is done, that I dare to say what I know must be said.

“Elizabeth...” I trail off, not wanting to upset her, all the while knowing this is essential.

“What is it?” Her voice is soft.

I force myself to meet her gaze and speak calmly. “We need to do an autopsy.” Thought you said he was a surgeon? Surgeons don't usually do autopsies. Medical examiners and coroners do that.

She doesn’t say anything. For a minute I think she’ll start crying again, but she just stares down at her empty plate, not speaking. Then she looks up, looks at me, and swallows. And slowly, bravely, she nods.

Technical Stuff
Your grammar is mostly amazing. Which makes my job easier. However, there were a couple spots where I found the wording to be strange. I have my comments up there, though, so I won't repeat myself. Good job, though. C:

Plot and Stuff
As far as I can tell, I really like where this is heading. I don't have much to say, unfortunately, as this is only the first chapter, but I want to stress research to you! I can tell you've done research, during the paramedic portion, but I still stress it because, well, because I can. :P Other than that, I'm pretty excited to see where this leads.

Overall
This is a good start. I can't wait to see how you improve, and see where this story goes.

Keep Writing!
Sporks
Grasped by the throat, grasped by the throat. That's how I feel about love. That it's not worth it.

REVIEWS FOR YOU | | Uprising (coming soon!)

770 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 770
Sun Jan 09, 2011 1:27 pm
borntobeawriter says...

Hey there Pari!

Thanks for the request. Well, I'm sorry I'm so late getting into it: I haven't been on much this week.

It's funny to read this because it's eerily similar to another I reviewed recently. Was it Calli's? Maybe...

Anyway, you already have great reviews. What I want to know was the backstory. When Nicolas was thinking at the beginning, he 'mentioned' a few times that he didn't love his wife. I thought maybe, this was an arranged marriage from the olden times, but the speech was unformal. And other things, also, led me to believe this is modern time. So, I was confused a little about that. And he thinks it quite a few times.

Which brings me to another point. I find you do a lot of telling, not showing. Was it necessary to say, when the father rolls in at first, that they were never close? No, you could have just simply have Robert jr reaching to take his father's hand and he's ignored. "Your tie is crooked". That would have been a brilliant bit of showing.

For the rest, your descriptions are quite good, as well as suspense: you pull it off nicely. Vivian, and the choking and all was well described.

Sorry I wasn't any more help, but you already got great reviews!

Tanya :D

17 Reviews

Sun Jan 09, 2011 4:12 pm
parigirle says...

Haha, that's the second time someone's mentioned that. I'm not sure what work both of you were talking about, but I guess I'm more cliched than I originally thought! :P

Thank you all for the reviews(:

62 Reviews

Reviews: 62
Mon Jan 17, 2011 3:12 pm
Destiny110 says...

i loved the story though there were a few nitpicks here and there and i noticed that sometimes its in past tense and in others its in present tense, when your writing it has to be either or otherwise the reader will get confused but overall the story was fantastic great job!
The last person to mess with me and my tigerness lost his face...and his COOKIES!

The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.
— Mark Twain