z

Young Writers Society

The Ghostmaster

147 Reviews

Reviews: 147
Sat Nov 06, 2010 6:56 pm
Tigersprite says...

NOTE: Hope you guys don't mind, but like Kiss of Death's prologue, I really just want to post this to see what you think of the style and whether or not it has novel potential (although I'm not sure it has). Oh, and I don't know how many people are awaiting the next chapter of it, but if anyone's waiting for the next installment of Kiss of Death it'll be soon.
Oh and if anyone notices something slightly similar between this and Gaiman's The Graveyard Book, it's because I wrote this after reading about the book (though I haven't actually read it).

The Ghostmaster

I watched Mortimer as he sat outside. He looked across the road, at the open gate that led to the graveyard. Now obviously this is not normal behaviour, for a child to be looking upon a graveyard. A five year-old at that, and in the middle of the night. But Mortimer was not normal.

He got up and walked across the road, into the graveyard. He walked past the tombstones, appraising them all silently, before discovering and sitting down on a bench. He stared at a tombstone to his right. It read,

R.I.P.

Martin Dodgers

Well, he hadn’t dodged Death. Mortimer looked straight ahead, and he noticed that an old man now sat to his left. The Old Man stared at him through thick round glasses, his head was covered with a pure white top hat, and he had an incredibly bushy moustache. He wore a black suit that looked particularly uncomfortable, and he held a white cane in his left hand. His skin was the black of the night sky, and his eyes shone white. He was a strange creature.

“I expect that you can see me,” he said in a quiet yet powerful voice. Mortimer nodded.

“So you are a Ghostmaster, then.” Mortimer blinked. “Because only Ghostmasters can see us. The Dead, I mean. What was your name again?” Mortimer said nothing.

“Yes, I thought it was Mortimer. I think I’ll call you Morty. For short.

“Well Morty, being a Ghostmaster is awfully important and difficult. Yes. You have to learn a great many skills, like Spooking, Floating, Second Seeing, even Realm Shifting. That last one is perhaps the most important. Yes. And when something is wrong with the Other Realm, you have to go and fix it. Yes.” Mortimer made no reaction to this whatsoever.

The Old Man frowned. “Say, you’re not Dead yourself, are you Morty? Good.

“There is no trouble in the Other Realm now. None at all. So you can be off until there is.” Mortimer stared at the Old Man, and then he went home.

But he returned the next night. The Old Man was there, and he began to teach Mortimer how to Spook. It involved plenty of apparition and dis-apparition, and Mortimer mastered it within three weeks; he became very fond of Spooking his younger brothers, Charles, Mason and Adam.

Next he was taught Floating, which consisted of plenty of ‘keeping a space of ten centimetres between the ground and your feet at all times.’

After Floating, the Old Man taught him Second Seeing, and he soon began to see Ghosts wandering around. According to the Old Man, Ghosts were the Dead who had escaped the herding of the Dead into the Other Realm by the Gatekeepers. They usually only ran because they had something they still had to do in the Living Realm, something they had forgotten to do or put off doing, or something they were looking or waiting for.

Through Second Seeing, Mortimer befriended many Ghosts, including a boy called Israel. In escaping the Herding, he had lost his memory. Mortimer called him Israel, after the man in the Bible, and Israel took to following him around ever after. He touched his arm once, and Mortimer’s black hair turned pure white forevermore.

One night after Mortimer’s twelfth birthday, he and Israel travelled to the Graveyard to visit the Old Man. The Old Man was Floating up and down before the bench, muttering curses under his breath. He looked up as they approached.

“Boys! There you are!” he cried. “There is trouble! Great Trouble!” He said something in a language that neither understood.

“What’s going on Old Man?” Israel asked. Israel, because he could not remember himself, took to both Mortimer and Old Man like fire to a house. He thought of the first as a brother, and the second as a father.

Old Man looked at him, his face was creased with worry, and so was his suit. “It’s the Dead! And the Whistlers! The Whistlers have stirred the Dead up; they’ve made them believe that it is their right to live again. They want to break free of the Underworld, and they want to come here, to the Mid-World! It’s unthinkable!”

“Why?”

“Why?!” Old Man cried, his eyes nearly jumping from their sockets, and smacking his cane into the ground. “Why?! Because then the Worlds will turn upside-down! Everything will go topsy-turvy! People will walk on their heads, and babies would talk, and you won’t live to die but die to live, and glass will never shatter!” Old Man’s chest was heaving heavily up and down by the time he had finished his rant, but neither boys could understand how anything he had said related to the Dead wanting to Live. But neither said anything about it.

“You see,” Old Man said, his eyes turning even whiter than they had been a minute ago, “now I must look for a hero. Someone must right things, must make the Dead see properly again. Their new philosophy is not how things were meant to be. They are going against everything, no, they are going against the foundation of everything.”

“Then Morty can do it,” Israel announced. “He is the Ghostmaster, after all. Although I don’t know what a whistler is, and I don’t think he does either.” Mortimer nodded.

The Old Man looked at them both. “Firstly,” he said quietly,” it is not a whistler but a Whistler. And they are strange beasts. They were the first Gatekeepers. They were sent from the Overworld, that they may herd the Dead into the Underworld. But they tired of their job after a few millennia, and sought their homes in the Overworld. For this change of heart they were punished, for they had signed an oath to be Gatekeepers for all eternity. They were stripped of their honours, and became withered ghosts of their former selves, neither dead nor alive. They were locked in the heart of the Underworld, that they might never escape. But it seems that they now have, and seek revenge.”

“How did they convince the Dead? Surely it can’t be so easy.”

“This is the origin of their name. If you see a Whistler, do not run but cover your ears. For their singing is beyond resistance, and you will fall into whatever trap they seek. The Whistlers sung to the Dead, they sung sweet songs of their memories of the Overworld, and now the Dead have fallen in love with it. They wish to go there. But only the Spirits and the Ephemerals go there. None else.” Mortimer looked, silent. Old Man turned to him.

“Do you wish to go, Morty? I would go, I would put a stop to this nonsense, yes I would, but as a Gatekeeper I must stay at my post. Anyhow, you are the Ghostmaster, the Whistlers cannot harm you, nor can the Dead. And you can pass through the Worlds and Realms freely. You wish to go, yes?” Mortimer nodded in earnest. He would, somehow, put a stop to the Whistlers plan.

Old Man nodded in satisfaction, and turned back to Israel. “You can follow him, because there are certain things that he cannot do which you can. When you enter the Underworld, you must seek the path to the King of the Dead. He is missing, and you must find his whereabouts, so that he can stop this nonsense. As you travel to find him, try and lock the Doors, yes?”

“The Doors?” Israel asked.

“Yes, the Doors. There are many dead, and they all are kept in different cities. You might find the Underworld similar to this one. Each city has a door, and you must lock it, to stop the Dead from getting out and the Whistlers from getting in. This might be difficult, however.”

“How so?”

“Because Flame-Throwers usually guard the Doors. Either they have joined the rioting, yes, or they are trying to stop it, yes, or they may try and hinder your entering a city and locking the Door, yes. I have not been to the Underworld in sometime; I do not know what happens there anymore.

“And you must look out for Witches, and Vampires, yes? Some may have been visiting the Underworld, they may have been passing through on their way to their World. Either they have also joined the riots, or if not you must help them leave the Underworld. Is that clear?” Mortimer and Israel nodded, and the latter asked:

“But how do we lock the Doors? And how do we open doorways to other Worlds?” Old Man smiled, this was depicted on his face by a curve of whiteness forming on his strange face. Then it disappeared, and he slammed his cane into the ground. With a green flash it turned into a long sword, which he handed to Mortimer. The blade was blue, and embedded with a white crystal. Or so he thought.

“Crystal?” Old Man said. “No, that is no crystal; it is not anything that you may find in this World. That staff, it will turn to whatever it is that you need it to be. I found it one day a long time ago, atop a hill. I have a vague idea of whom it belonged to, but I am not sure.

“Slash at the air with it, and it will make doors to other worlds. But you must be thinking of the specific world you wish to go, otherwise you may open a door to anywhere, and then anything may be at the other side. The only place it will not take one to is the Overworld.

“Use it also as a key to lock the Doors, and as a weapon against the Whistlers, or any who attempt to harm you both. Good luck, yes?” Old Man bowed, and stepped to the side. Mortimer held the staff-sword awkwardly, and slashed clumsily at the air before him. There was a whistling sound, and a gash of light appeared before him. Through it, he saw a long dusty path in the midst of a plain. He looked back.

Old Man smiled again, it was disconcerting. “Good luck, yes? Good luck!” Mortimer turned around again and stepped through the door, Israel right behind him.
Last edited by Tigersprite on Sat Nov 06, 2010 8:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"A superman ... is, on account of certain superior qualities inherent in him, exempted from the ordinary laws which govern men. He is not liable for anything he may do."
Nathan Leopold

770 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 770
Sat Nov 06, 2010 7:22 pm
borntobeawriter says...

Hey Tiger,

Tanya here! Well, as far as I'm concerned, this definitely has some potential. I would enjoy reading some more.

I assume that if you were to make it into a novel, the chapters would be longer and would give us the opportunity to get to know Morty more. and who is the 'I' character speaking. How does does your MC know what's going to happen to Morty and Israel in that world?

That being said, I liked the style of this story; it was different but easy to read.

Hope this review helped, and I would surely enjoy reading some more. And more of kiss of death :D

Tanya

884 Reviews

Reviews: 884
Sat Nov 06, 2010 7:49 pm
StoryWeaver13 says...

I watched Mortimer as he sat outside. He looked across the road, at the open gate that led to the graveyard. Now obviously this is not normal behaviour, for a child to be looking upon a graveyard. A five year-old at that, and in the middle of the night. But Mortimer was not normal. Cool opening, the only thing I don't like is how you repeat "graveyard," which just throws off the balance. My suggestion would be to alter the second time its used to elaborate on it - ie something along the lines of "...for a child to be looking intently upon rows of headstones," or whatever. It gets rid of the redundancy and replaces it with a stronger mental image.

“There is no trouble in the Other Realm now. None at all. So you can be off until there is.” Mortimer stared at the Old Man, and then he went home. I followed him. I hadn't thought this was first-person. Why does nobody acknowledge the MC? I want to know who this is.

Anyway, other than a couple of little things, the only thing I'd suggest is possibly slowing it down just a little. All the same, it's still a good start and I'll be keeping my eyes open for the next chapter if you decide to keep going with it. This is totally the kind of thing I'd want to read.

Keep writing,
StoryWeaver
Reading is one form of escape. Running for your life is another. ~Lemony Snicket

147 Reviews

Reviews: 147
Sat Nov 06, 2010 8:29 pm
Tigersprite says...

Thanks for the reviews guys! At first I wondered what you meant about the MC thing, then I read it through and realized what you meant. The problem is that at one time, I went over the story and tried to put it in first-person. But then I didn't like it and I changed it back. I must have missed that part out. So the secret MC is really just a mistake, heheh. ;) I'll correct it now.
"A superman ... is, on account of certain superior qualities inherent in him, exempted from the ordinary laws which govern men. He is not liable for anything he may do."
Nathan Leopold

816 Reviews

Reviews: 816
Sun Nov 07, 2010 10:15 pm
Shearwater says...

Oy, Tiger! Sup.

Nitpicks/suggestions

“Yes, I thought it was Mortimer. I think I’ll call you Morty. For short.

Tell me Patch appears as some random character in here too! 8D
Just kidding, I just wanted to point that out. Pretty cool.
“Well Morty, being a Ghostmaster is awfully important and difficult. Yes. You have to learn a great many skills, like Spooking, Floating, Second Seeing, even Realm Shifting. That last one is perhaps the most important. Yes. And when something is wrong with the Other Realm, you have to go and fix it. Yes.” Mortimer made no reaction to this whatsoever.

I kind of don't like how you you're just jumping into this whole thing with the ghostmaster and all without giving us some details of your main character. Who is Mortimer exactly? I would like more information on our main lead before we start digging into the main plot of the story.
The Old Man frowned. “Say, you’re not Dead yourself, are you Morty? Good.

I think you're missing a quotation mark at the end of this. :)
“There is no trouble in the Other Realm now. None at all. So you can be off until there is.” Mortimer stared at the Old Man, and then he went home.

That wasn't a random way to hint the plot. :/
But he returned the next night. The Old Man was there, and he began to teach Mortimer how to Spook. It involved plenty of apparition and dis-apparition, and Mortimer mastered it within three weeks; he became very fond of Spooking his younger brothers, Charles, Mason and Adam.

I want to know what exactly 'spooking' is. "BOO!"
After Floating, the Old Man taught him Second Seeing, and he soon began to see Ghosts wandering around. According to the Old Man, Ghosts were the Dead who had escaped the herding of the Dead into the Other Realm by the Gatekeepers. They usually only ran because they had something they still had to do in the Living Realm, something they had forgotten to do or put off doing, or something they were looking or waiting for.

By this part, I'm losing interest in your story.
Mostly because you're going way to too fast. Why start with a random boy who sees ghost and a random old dude who teaches him things? Catch your readers attention by bringing in some simple action or an interesting conflict. I would, in fact, discard this beginning and start with a fresh scene.
I know you might want to get all these little details out of the way, but don't info dump in the beginning. Although, your idea strictly is a good one, tad cliche and I've seen it before, but you can make it your own.
Through Second Seeing, Mortimer befriended many Ghosts, including a boy called Israel. In escaping the Herding, he had lost his memory. Mortimer called him Israel, after the man in the Bible, and Israel took to following him around ever after. He touched his arm once, and Mortimer’s black hair turned pure white forevermore.

Now you're going into the telling and disregarding the seeing part. A novel needs to be balanced, tell some and show some. However, showing is stronger than telling.

“You see,” Old Man said, his eyes turning even whiter than they had been a minute ago, “now I must look for a hero. Someone must right things, must make the Dead see properly again. Their new philosophy is not how things were meant to be. They are going against everything, no, they are going against the foundation of everything.”

Way too obvious. You're going down a cliche road and it's looking bad, unfortunately. :(

Overall

Wow, that was...very quick.
With honesty, Sprite, I think you could have done a lot better than this. I've seen your work and this is bland compared to what you have done before. I think you were trying to rush things and force all this information into it, overseeing the main problems. Your introduction to your character lacked, we don't know who exactly Morty is or who his parents are, where he lives or any of these basic foundations that create a strong character. If you plan on making him save the world, you have to at least give him some strong characteristics to begin with. Your descriptions and all were fine, what I had a big problem with was concerning your 'telling'. You mainly stated what every thing was and who everyone was. What their roles were, what this did and what that did. Sure, we could understand easier but mystery is tantalizing and you need to give us something to look forward to. Dangle a strawberry above our heads so we want to continue walking forward, to turn the page, to find out what happens next.

Moving on towards the plot, you basically gave it all away. We now know that Morty is the hero and he's the one who's going to save the world even though he's just a kid. I never really had much problems with your grammar or punctuation so you're saved there. :)
However, I think this would have been so much better if you took a step back and slowed things down. Give us some details and information and don't dive straight into a story or you'll be at risk. Anyway, that's all I have to comment on really. You had a decent idea, you just need to execute it properly.
Hope I helped! And sorry if I was too harsh in any way. =P
Trying to help out a friend.
PM me if you have questions or need anything.

Cheers,
-Shear
There are three rules for writing a novel. Unfortunately, no one knows what they are.
-W. Somerset Maugham

1087 Reviews

Reviews: 1087
Mon Nov 08, 2010 5:27 pm
Sins says...

Yo, Tiger! Sup, my sister? 8)

I apologise for taking ages to get to this... Busy, buys, busy! I've kind of missed out because you've already been attacked with epic reviews, but hey, I'll try my bets to find something unsaid. All nit-picks seem to be covered, so I'll just get straight to it.

Plot wise, I like very much. I might be a bit biased though because I myself once tried to write a novel about a kid who should see dead people. In fact, I'm hoping to scrap it and begin the whole thing again now that I've finished writing my last novel. Anyway, I can see this story with so much potential. Fantasy genres are easily the most open because, well, you can make practically every single thing up. You've got a great foundation of a novel here, so all that you need to do is bring it out of its shell a little.

The first thing I have to suggest is about the beginning. It seemed rather... sudden. Like the other reviewers have said, I found a lot of this sudden, if I'm honest, but I'll mention that later. I cannot stress you enough to how much the beginning of a story, and the start of the first chapter, is vitally important. Without a great opening paragraph, you'll lose a lot of readers. The problem I had with your first part was how... I don't know, normal it was? It's a little hard to explain... I'll find an example of what I mean to help explain better.

I watched Mortimer as he sat outside. He looked across the road, at the open gate that led to the graveyard. Now obviously this is not normal behaviour, for a child to be looking upon a graveyard. A five year-old at that, and in the middle of the night. But Mortimer was not normal.

He got up and walked across the road, into the graveyard. He walked past the tombstones, appraising them all silently, before discovering and sitting down on a bench. He stared at a tombstone to his right.

Okay, here's my problem... The first two sentences seemed rather bland. Also, I don't find a kid in a graveyard that weird... It's the kind of thing that used to entertain me as a kid... :lol: Mind you, I was the weirdest kid ever. You can't blame me though; I used to live right next door to a graveyard. Sorry, back to topic! The problem I have is that this beginning as a whole is lacking description and depth. What does the graveyard look like? Create the atmosphere for us. It's a kid going into a graveyard in, what I assume is, the dead of night. This could seriously have the potential of an epic, shocking opening.

Oh, also, who was the I at the beginning, and why was it there...? Was it the thing you explained before? If it is, you probably need to edit that out.

The other critique I have is what everyone else has said, if I'm honest. Slow down, my girl! ;) You've given us a giant clump of information in a rather short piece of writing. I'm not going to go into loads of detail trying to explain this because you've been told this already, and I don't want to repeat everything that's already been said because that would annoy both me and you. Kiss of Death was very descriptive and detailed, but I'm finding this rather harsh and sudden.

The only other thing that I have to say is that you've got a lot of dialogue in this, and it feels a weeny bit clumpish. The main reason for this though, I think, is because of the lack of details and description in this. You also seem to feel the need to tell us an awful lot of information in one chapter, and most of it's through dialogue. I've just reviewed something else and said this actually, which is don't tell us everything in the first chapter! Give us readers the time to grasp the setting, the characters, and details like that before you tell us what's going to happen. What I'm basically trying to say is that I'd like to see you slowing things down in this.

Negatives aside, I genuinely think this story has great potential, you just need to squeeze it out! Your grammar is very good, as usual, and your varied vocabulary was nice to see being used. All that this needs is a bit of polishing. ;)

Keep writing,

xoxo Skins
I didn't know what to put here so I put this.

78 Reviews

Reviews: 78
Mon Nov 08, 2010 7:33 pm
pinkangel54123 says...

Hi there, Tiger! I'm pinkangel here to review for you. Red is for corrections, purple is for comments on the corrections, and blue is for general comments.

I watched Mortimer as he sat outside. He looked across the road at the open gate that led to the graveyard. Now obviously this is not normal behaviour for a child to be looking upon a graveyard. A five year-old at that and in the middle of the night. But Mortimer was not normal.

I took out a lot of commas here. You don't need to put a comma before a prepositional phrase, and you only put a comma before a conjunction if the conjuncction is followed by an independent clause. From now on, I won't comment on the commas, but I will take them out where they are unneeded.

He got up and walked across the road into the graveyard. He walked past the tombstones, appraising them all silently, before discovering and sitting down on a bench. He stared at a tombstone to his right.

Alright, I have a few comments on this section. First, all of these sentences start the same. What I mean by that is you have a subject-in this case it's 'He'- and you follow it immediately with a verb. I would shake it up a little so when someone is reading it it doesn't feel stale and repetitive. Second, the sentence that says: 'He walked past the tombstones, appraising them all silently, before discovering and sitting down on a bench.' is a bit awkward. The part that makes this sentence read awkwardly to me is 'before discovering and sitting down on a bench'. As a piece of a sentence it feels unfinished and hanging. For example, it's not quite clear what was being discovered but I could assume that it would be the bench. If that is the case, I think that it would be just fine to leave 'discovering and'.

It read,

R.I.P.

Martin Dodgers

I don't think that that part needs to be put out there so boldly. By this I mean that it would be just fine if you put the words from the tombstone into italics and not bolded, centered, and spaced out like you have it here.

Well, he hadn’t dodged Death. First, I thought that was pretty funny, and second why is death capitalized? Is it a human-like entity in your story or something?

Mortimer looked straight ahead, and he noticed that an old man now sat to his left. The Old Man stared at him through thick round glasses, his head was covered with a pure white top hat, and he had an incredibly bushy moustache. He wore a black suit that looked particularly uncomfortable, and he held a white cane in his left hand. His skin was the black of the night sky, and his eyes shone white. He was a strange creature.

I feel like I'm being nit-picky, and feel free to critique my reviewing style, but I have a few things to say about this paragraph. 1. How would Mortimer notice that the man was on his left if he was looking straight ahead? 2. Why is "The Old Man" capatilized in one part but not the other? 3. I don't quite understand why his appearence makes him strange. I mean isn't everyone's eyes white? Or do you mean the part that should be colored were white? If so, elaborate.

"What was your name again?” Mortimer said nothing.

Did Mortimer ever say his name? Or am I missing something?

All in All:
Alright. Well I don't have much to say here, because there was way too much going on for me to rightly critique this. What I mean by that is, everything felt rushed into this one chapter, and because of that, I have nearly no idea what happened. My biggest piece of advice would be to slow this down incredibly. There were so many things, like his learning things, and being Ghostmaster, and the Whistlers, that it was quite hard to comprehend. What I would do is split these things into multiple chapters and explain a lot more than what you are doing already. This has some potential, but right now, it needs a fair amount of work put into it.

Hope I helped. Keep writing,
~Danie
Want a heavenly review?

GENERATION 30: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

It's a dramatic situation almost every time you answer the phone—if you answer the phone.
— Matthew Weiner