z

Young Writers Society

Disenchanted. (Chapter 1, Blackout)

44 Reviews

Reviews: 44
Sat Oct 09, 2010 9:49 am
Winchester says...

Hey this is my new novel, it started of as a joint novel but we decided that it should be my new project :) so wal-ah!

Chapter 1
Blackout.

-Savannah-

Last week- that’s when it happened, but no one has answers. No one, ‘cept the seven of us knows what really happened.

It started in history, me and my best friend Alexi, (or Lexi as near enough everyone called her) was sat right at the back of the room.
The teacher? Going on about some random roman solider, who no one really gave an arse about. Us? Mumbling along to Magic (by Bob and Rivers Cuomo).

That was when everyone decided to collapse…except us, of course.

The first thing I did, instead of screaming, was slap Lexi…her fist impacted with my arm “Ow” I muttered. Well… at least I wasn’t dreaming.
I was surprised with myself, with how calm I was, until I heard a scream, then my other best friend Libby came running to the door

“Guys, everyone’s, like asleep.” She said.

“You, don’t say..” Libby said very sarcastically.

We decided to check the gym, since that’s what lesson the boys had, had. When we arrived, we saw four boys just stood there looking totally clueless (like they always to) and funnily enough I knew all of them.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

As soon as I looked over at Lexi and Libby I knew what they were thinking…“Great”.
I couldn’t blame ‘em.
Dominic and Tyler? There total idiots. Connor? Okay he was cool, he could swear in polish and German.
Then there was Rio, the most arrogant prick I had ever known! But I will admit it, I had it bad for him. But so did Lexi…Okay!?

“Great, Savannah Jackson, Alexi Taylor and Libby Summers, the nerds…they’ll know what happening.” Rio said.

Before me or Lexi could reply, Libby decided to bite back “NERDS!, these two maybe, but me, me im set 3!”

Rio wasn’t lisening to her.

“Lisen, guys we kinda have bigger problems, so shut up! Everyone’s lying unconscious around us, and you seem oblivious” Libby shouted…

While she had been having a rant I had been sliding my planner from my pocket, then I went up to him and hit him hard on the arm with it, I smirked at him…he just held his arm and gave me the evils at the same time.

We decided to check every class room, which turned out to be the same as the gym and the history block…everyone looking dead around us.

As we started to walk back to mine and Lexi’s classroom, we heard noise, we ran to the class room to find out what it was.

Then we saw that everything was back to normal.

“Savannah Jackson and Alexi Taylor, I didn’t know that you needed five other students to go to the toilet?” our now awake teacher said.

“But, we’ve not been to the toil-” I started to say, but then I realised I’d just dug my own grave.
“Right detention, for all seven of you…” she shouted.

The boys and Libby groaned, I gave out a small whine to but then thought it would be a good time to try and figure out why everyone was awake again, and had no memory of anything strange happening.

Confusing.

:!: :?:
"Winner, winner, chicken dinner" Wise words said by the one and only, Dean Winchester.

319 Reviews

Reviews: 319
Sat Oct 09, 2010 1:06 pm
Jashael says...

Hello, Rebelinsilence! I saw your request in Isha's thread, I know I'm not Isha, but I thought maybe I'd review you. I hope that's fine. LOL Ok, here it goes. :) Comments in [color=#FF00BF]pink[/color] font!

rebelinsilence wrote:Hey this is my new novel, it started of as a joint novel but we decided that it should be my new project :) so wal-ah!

Chapter 1
Blackout.

-Savannah-

Last week- (this should be a dash, not a hyphen. :) you can use a double hyphen for that)that’s when it happened, but no one has answers. No one, ‘cept the seven of us knows no "s" because you were referring to the seven of you, which is plural)what really happened.

It started in history, meI not "me" and my best friend Alexi, (or Lexi as near enough everyone called her) was satsitting right at the back of the room.
The teacher? Going on about some random roman solider, who no one really gave an arse about. Us? Mumbling along to Magic (by Bob and Rivers Cuomo).

The first thing I did, instead of screaming, was toslap Lexi…her fist impacted with my arm.
Let's take a new paragraph here. :)
“Ow” I muttered. Well… at least I wasn’t dreaming.
I was surprised with myself, with how calm I was, until I heard a scream,This should be a new sentence Let's try not using "then" much, ok? :) then my other best friend Libby came running to the door

We decided to check the gym, since that’s what lesson the boys had, hadOk, I think this will be better if it's "We decided to check the gym where the boys were having their lessons." to make it clearer.. Better with "but"When we arrived, we saw four boys just stoodStanding there (no there!)looking totally clueless (like they always to) and funnily enough I knew all of them.
ok, so I was totally confused with that. I think that sentence will be better if you change it to this:
"But when we arrived, only four boys stood there, looking totally clueless. (Stop and enter a new sentence) Funnily enough, I knew all of them.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
[color=#FF0000]Why skip a lot?? :|[/color]
As soon as I looked over at Lexi and Libby I knew what they were thinking…“Great”.
I couldn’t blame ‘em.
Dominic and Tyler? There total idiots. Connor? Okay he was cool, period.he could swear in polish and German.
Then there was Rio, the most arrogant prick I had ever known! But I will admit it, I had it bad for him.I didn't understand "I had it bad for him" so I don't know how to edit that. But so did Lexi…Okay!?

“Great, Savannah Jackson, Alexi Taylor and Libby Summers, the nerds…they’ll know what happening.” Rio said.

Before meI orthis is and. :) Lexi could reply, Libby decided to bite back.
enter
“NERDS!,"she snapped."these two maybe, but me, me imI'm.. the pronoun I is always capitalized. set 3!”

“Lisen, guys we kinda have bigger problems, so shut up! Everyone’s lying unconscious around us, and you seem oblivious” Libby shouted…eliminate the ellipsis! Use a period instead. :)

While she had been remove had been, replace with "was"having a rant I had been sliding "had been sliding" replace with slidmy planner from my pocket, then delete Iwent up to himwho's him? When the antecedent is too far off, mention the noun--or in this case, a person's name) and hit him hard on the arm with it,the planner, be clear! I smirked at him…he just held his arm and gave me the evils at the same time.

Ok, I can't finish the whole chapter. I have to go. Sorry for the poor review. I can see you're only twelve, but you could do better than that! Keep reading grammar books to improve your English. Is English your mother tongue? You have a lot of confusing sentences up there. And your pronouns were misused as well.
But the story is good! Mystery, eh? :) Just PM me or post on my wall if you have any questions. Keep writing! This is the way to start, kid! :)) Go go go!!!! :D/
“I believe in Christianity as I believe that the sun has risen:
not only because I see it, but because by it I see everything else.”

—C.S. LEWIS

My SPOTIFY page
Facebook
Got a life?

355 Reviews

Reviews: 355
Sat Oct 09, 2010 3:02 pm
LadySpark says...

hi!
okay i have a lot to say so lets get to it!

Chapter 1
Blackout.

-Savannah-

Last week- that’s when it happened, but no one has answers. No one, ‘cept the seven of us knows what really happened.
you might want to make this a little better grammer

It started in history, me and my best friend Alexi, (or Lexi as near enough everyone called her) was sat right at the back of the room.
at first i was confused whether they were in histry class or acuutly back in time, might want to change that.

somthing in this sentance doesnt make sense to me, not sure what it is.

The first thing I did, instead of screaming, was slap Lexi…her fist impacted with my arm “Ow” I muttered. Well… at least I wasn’t dreaming.
I was surprised with myself, with how calm I was, until I heard a scream, then my other best friend Libby came running to the door

We decided to check the gym, since that’s what lesson the boys had, had. When we arrived, we saw four boys just stood there looking totally clueless (like they always to) and funnily enough I knew all of them.
that should be erased

I couldn’t blame ‘em.
Dominic and Tyler? There total idiots. Connor? Okay he was cool, he could swear in polish and German.
Then there was Rio, the most arrogant prick I had ever known! But I will admit it, I had it bad for him. But so did Lexi…Okay!?
once again needs the whole word. unless you meant it to be this way

Before me or Lexi could reply, Libby decided to bite back “NERDS!, these two maybe, but me, me im set 3!”

“Lisen, guys we kinda have bigger problems, so shut up! Everyone’s lying unconscious around us, and you seem oblivious” Libby shouted…
why shouted?
While she had been having a rant I had been sliding my planner from my pocket, then I went up to him and hit him hard on the arm with it, I smirked at him…he just held his arm and gave me the evils at the same time.color=#FF4000]this sentence does not make sense to me. you may need to reword it.[/color]
We decided to check every class room, which turned out to be the same as the gym and the history block…everyone looking dead around us.

As we started to walk back to mine and Lexi’s classroom, we heard noise, we ran to the class room to find out what it was.

“Savannah Jackson and Alexi Taylor, I didn’t know that you needed five other students to go to the toilet?” our now awake teacher said.

“But, we’ve not been to the toil-” I started to say, but then I realised I’d just dug my own grave.

The boys and Libby groaned, I gave out a small whine to but then thought it would be a good time to try and figure out why everyone was awake again, and had no memory of anything strange happening.

Confusing.
hush, my sweet
these tornadoes are for you

-Richard Siken

Formerly SparkToFlame

Random avatar

Reviews: 3
Sat Oct 09, 2010 9:30 pm
lbabezhottie says...

rebelinsilence wrote:Hey this is my new novel, it started of as a joint novel but we decided that it should be my new project :) so wal-ah!

Chapter 1
Blackout.

-Savannah-

Last week- that’s when it happened, but no one has answers. No one, ‘cept the seven of us knows what really happened.bad grammar

what does that mean?

why did they collapse?

It sounds like libby says it all

I couldn’t blame ‘em.

bad grammar again

While she had been having a rant I had been sliding my planner from my pocket, then I went up to him and hit him hard on the arm with it, I smirked at him…he just held his arm and gave me the evils at the same time.

a noise

Confusing.

:!: :?:
[i
lbabezhotieeeee!
][/i]

384 Reviews

Reviews: 384
Sun Oct 10, 2010 12:11 am
eldEr says...

Hey Ris!
Corrections and that sort of thing are highlighted in red.
The epic stuff that was really well written and all of that in purple.
My own comments are in bold.

So let's see what we've got here! ^^

rebelinsilence wrote:Chapter 1
Blackout.

-Savannah-

It started in hHistory, Need the capital on the 'H' me and my best friend Alexi, My best friend Alexi and I... (or Lexi as near enough everyone called her) was sat right at the back of the room.
The teacher? Going on about some random roman solider, who no one really gave an arse about. Us? Mumbling along to Magic (by Bob and Rivers Cuomo). The brackets aren't wrong, but you don't need them. ;)

Alright, so the grammar is not very good here. I kind of guessing that it's like that so you can voice the character better, but in all honesty, it can sort of...you know, throw some people off. A whole novel written like that might just drive somebody crazy. ;)

rebelinsilence wrote:That was when everyone decided to collapse…except us, of course. Here you used 'except' instead of just ''cept'. If it was the voice of your character, I would think that she'd say ''cept' again. ;) Of course, like I said earlier, grammar like that can throw a reader off. I'd rather see the first ''cept' changed to an 'except.'

The first thing I did, instead of screaming, was slap Lexi…her Quite honestly, here I would make it two seperate sentences. The '...' just doesn't look right. fist impacted with my arm. “Ow,” I muttered. Well… at least I wasn’t dreaming. I might make a new 'paragraph' where you put in the tiny bit of dialogue, but I don't think it matters too, too much.
I was surprised with myself, with how calm I was, until I heard a scream, then my other best friend Libby came running to the door.

Here you forgot a lot of punctuation. Punctuation is sort of a good thing to remember while writing a story. ;) The last sentence seemed a bit off. Too many commas and 'withs' in it I guess. Try rephrasing it and breaking it into two or three sentences instead and you're good to go.

rebelinsilence wrote:“Guys, everyone’s, like asleep,she said.

“You, don’t say...” Libby said very sarcastically. There's nothing really wrong with this, though I would maybe change the 'said' to something like 'retorted' and then drop the 'very.' But that's just my style, so I don't know if it would actually sound any better. xD

We decided to check the gym, since that’s what lesson the boys had, had Don't need that last had. I guess you could ditch the comma too. ;). When we arrived, we saw four boys just stood there looking totally clueless (like they always to) and funnily enough I knew all of them. 'Four boys just stood there' doesn't make sense. What about 'four boys that JUST stood there' instead? Plus...is 'funnily' a word? xD I'm not quite sure.

Only one comment here. Guys aren't always clueless. ;) I suppose that it could just be your character talking, which would make sense... I just thought I'd add something about that in there. :P

rebelinsilence wrote:As soon as I looked over at Lexi and Libby, I knew what they were thinking…“Great”.
I couldn’t blame ‘em.
A few things here. There should be a comma (I inserted one where it needs to be. ;)) Right before the dialogue, it should be a single period, and there needs to be a space. Also, the last period should be BEFORE the quotation marks, not after.
Dominic and Tyler? There total idiots. Connor? Okay he was cool, he could swear in Polish and German. You could probably start a new sentence between the 'cool' and 'he.' Plus, Polish needed to be capitalized. ;)

Heh, I wish I could swear in Polish and German...anywho... The 'Okay!?' isn't really needed there. But if you really wanted to have it, it shouldn't be capitilized and it shoulder be after a comma rather than the '...' thing you have going on here. ;)

rebelinsilence wrote:“Great, Savannah, Jackson, Alexi, Taylor and Libby Summers, the nerds…they’ll know what happening,” Rio said. I spy a many missing comma!

Before me or Lexi 'Lexi or I' I think it should be. could reply, Libby decided to bite back “NERDS!, these two maybe, but me, me im set 3!” There is something off about the way this is punctuated...the !, thing and the lower-case 't' didn't make much sense to me. Also, you should probably write out the word 'three' rather than just type the number.

Rio wasn’t listening to her.

“Lisen, guys we kinda have bigger problems, so shut up! Everyone’s lying unconscious around us, and you seem oblivious!” Libby shouted

Being oblivious to people lying around unconscious...I wouldn't be cracking jokes if I were them. But anyways, the whole '...' thing is, erm, not really working. There are a few places where you could keep them, but they seem quite overused.

rebelinsilence wrote:While she had been having a rant, I had been sliding my planner from my pocket, then I went up to him and hit him hard on the arm with it. I smirked at himhe just held his arm and gave me the evils at the same time.
Which 'he' is this referring to? There are plenty of 'he's'... Maybe mention which one? It might help. ;) The sentences here are also a bit run-onny.
We decided to check every class room, which turned out to be the same as the gym and the history block…everyone looking dead around us. Sort of rushed into that...it goes from somebody hitting somebody with a planner to deciding to check out every class room. We need a bit more of what happened BETWEEN that.

As we started to walk back to mine and Lexi’s classroom, we heard noise. We ran to the class room to find out what it was. Once again, we need more detail of what happened in between here. It's feeling a bit rushed. Also, it's a run-on sentence. ;) Watch out for those.

Then we saw that everything was back to normal. Too rushed into things again. Not enough detail. Describe the scene a bit. Also, the 'then' just...eh. It made it sound less creative than it could be.

This bit was very rushed. There could be a LOT of detail added. Give us a bit more of the story here, what happened in between where you jumped around. I want to know HOW they got into things, what happened while they were there. Well, I suppose we do know, but it's nice to have a bit of detail of their little exploit!

rebelinsilence wrote:“But, we’ve not been to the toil-” I started to say, but then I realised I’d just dug my own grave.
“Right detention, for all seven of you” she shouted. Nooo D: That should be an explanation mark! She SHOUTED it. With vigor! You made it sound like she said it softly, regretfully.

The boys and Libby groaned. I gave out a small whine, too, but then thought it would be a good time to try and figure out why everyone was awake again, and had no memory of anything strange happening. Run-on sentence. Try rephrasing it a bit, so you still have the same message, but it's not all in one big lump.
Confusing.

So, you seem to have a decent plot working for you here. Don't get me wrong, I do believe that this could make an excellent story, but there are some things here that need to be worked on. Like the excessive '...'s. Those sort of really threw me off. As did the bad grammar in the beginning that seemed to disapear near the end. It seemed a bit rushed, and we need a lot more detail. There was a lot of jumping around and such. Add a paragraph or two between explaining a bit more of what happened.

Like I said before though, the plot seems decent, and with a little work, this could end up as quite the novel! It's seems to have an interesting plot so far, but I'll warn you now to avoid clichés later on. Keep writing it and see where it goes! Thanks for the read. ;)

xoxo
-Ishy
Guuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuurl.

got trans?

553 Reviews

Reviews: 553
Mon Oct 11, 2010 9:38 am
MiaParamore says...

Hey Rebel! I know I promised a review yesterday, but sorry couldn't make it.

Last week- that’s when it happened, but no one has any answers.
Hmm, I think this is a good start and does make me read more, of what happened to them. So good one! But just add 'any' where I've told, because it gives a nice look.

No one, ‘cept the seven of us knows what really happened.
I am not against writing except like this, but one thing that i would surely like to tell is that this is suitable while writing a dialog as it's informal. Just imagine have to read this in a novel. Not a good impression, would it be? :wink:

MC and Alexi=two people, right? And it's a plural so shouldn't you have used 'were'? Huh? Also, was sat(or were sat) doesn't seem a very good idea to me, it's not like they had been thrown on their seats by someone? So, write 'were sitting'. Plain and simple!

The teacher? Going on about some random roman solider, who no one really gave an arse about.
Oh, I love the sarcasm here. :wink:

There total idiots.
There should be=they are.

i know sentences like these where we use double doers becomes sometimes tough and we don't have an idea how or what to use(me or I?) So, the best thing is to forget the other person for a while and write the sentence like it's only you. So, here it would be like: Before I could reply, Libby decided to bite back. Then you can surely squeeze in the other person and edit if needed. You just see how you would write if you were just there. Right?

“Lisen, guys we kinda have bigger problems, so shut up! Everyone’s lying unconscious around us, and you seem oblivious,” Libby shouted…
You need to have either a comma or a full-stop after a dialog comes to an end.

While she had been having a rant, I had been sliding my planner from my pocket,(a full-stop instead) then I went up to him and hit him hard on the arm with it(full-stop) I smirked at him…he just held his arm and gave me the evils at the same time.
Doesn't this all happen so quickly and I don't get much time to absorb what happened before when BAM! You just need to slow down, put appropriate full-stops, and then let the reader breathe. For the sake of Humankind! :)

I don't know why, but there was something about this sentence that made me like it! :D

As we started to walk back to mine(my would do) and Lexi’s classroom, we heard a noise, we ran to the class room to find out what it was.

I didn't pluck out all the grammar mistakes as Isha had done a wonderful job at it and I tried to hold back what already had been told to you by others. My first impression of this, or my first thought rather was that it appeared like the stories I used to write when I was of your age, and eve sometime before now. So, yes, they were a bit run-on, they needed a bit of better grammar, and of course punctuation. But when I actually started posting my work at YWS, I started getting better at it and now I can say that I'm a better writer(if not good yet) than what I used to be earlier. Enough of my YWS tales, but the main point is that write and read more, as much as you can, and that's the only way to improve. Post as much here so that other YWS-ers get a chance to help you out.

So, one thing that I would like to say about this is that it came to me as a nice attempt, seriously a hell lot mysterious, which probably would glue me in to the other chapters. You did try to make your characters as sarcastic and real to life as possible, which I admire. Your characters, except for the MC, didn't come to me like those sweet, innocent kids, without any personality, but as strong ones. But you could work out on their expressions, their talking style a bit more. I would like to know the sleepy classroom, like how the people collapsed, where they were lying and how did the teacher appear to these girls. You know, you could add a comment by Savannah on how she liked seeing her teacher asleep, and getting rid of her boring History class. Small things like these make any story better, so just take time to sketch out details and then you have a nice story at hand. My main problem all along here was that you didn't have much of descriptions, neither of the characters, the surroundings or for that matter, their feelings. This quiet disappointed me, so I'd like you to focus on it. Would you do that? :)

I would like to say that this didn't seem like a chapter to me, length wise. Sure a chapter could be small, but you can definitely add in more to this as the end was fine, but the beginning was a bit weak. The other thing here was that you use many ellipsis in your dialogs and normal sentences, which can be quiet distracting and futile.Just also work out on your grammar a bit. You just need to know where to put them. As for the title? It was nice, and makes me think that this has got to do with fantasy. So I won't babble more now, and let the next chapter unfold the great mysteries. Till then, bye.

PM me if you have any queries, or any doubts regarding my review. I'm always there(not like I sit on YWS 24x7. Xd!) Tell em when next chapter is up.

Thanks for the read,
Shubhi
"Next time you point a finger
I might have to bend it back
Or break it, break it off
Next time you point a finger
I'll point you to the mirror"

— Paramore

7 Reviews

Reviews: 7
Mon Oct 11, 2010 5:46 pm
Krp0 says...

We decided to check the gym, since that’s what lesson the boys had, had. When we
arrived, we saw four boys just stood there looking totally clueless (like they always to) and funnily enough I knew all of them.

Red= awkward sentence. What are you trying to say? and, you don't need that comma between the "had's"
Orange= try and change the word, i don't think it's a real word. :P
hope that helps! :)
Run free. Be free. No one owns you.

11 Reviews

Reviews: 11
Thu Oct 14, 2010 7:42 pm
megefford says...

You have a good basic idea down, but maybe you could try writing out what is going to happen in general, and then filling in the blanks before writing the final draft.

A beautiful funeral doesn't guarantee Heaven.
— Haitian Proverb