z

Young Writers Society

Bridge Over Paradise

556 Reviews

Reviews: 556
Tue Jul 13, 2010 9:04 pm
ziggiefred says...

Okay, I'm working on this novel but I'm stuck in the first chapter. I'm not sure whether I'm revealing too much too soon and I feel it's too boring to be an intro. This is one of the four drafts I made. It's not the whole thing though. Any comments, suggestions are welcome...help me please :? Thank you in advance :)

Chapter 1
She thought that if she cried the pain would go away; that if she lied awake and thought everything through she would understand the pain. She was wrong. She had never given much thought to how a broken life and a broken heart would be like; how it would look like. It was Wednesday. An old scrappy bus was slowly packing with individuals from the city taking their garbage back to their respective villages, either to their loved ones or their homes they hardly visited. There was very little traffic at the bus rank because it was right in the middle of the month and most people were at work.

Lorato had taken a seat next to the window so that she could be next to some air when the bus started building up with smoke from the exhaust. She could not stop thinking about the past month and what she had encountered, it hurt. The bus was noisy from people who were advertising the goods they sold in the bus rank; everything from food, to magazines and newspapers. Lorato did not notice them; she was preoccupied with her thoughts.

The city of Gaborone was maturing very fast. Lorato had just celebrated her nineteenth birthday when she arrived with her soon to be husband in the late 1990’s. All she could think about was how great their wonderful new beginning would turn out. She had known Thabo for most of her life from the little village of Meropeng, where they both grew up.

“We made it,” he said to her as they watched the bus they came in driving away to the farther side of the bus station.

“Yes, we made it. I’m so happy that I get to be with you finally,” she smiled at him.

An old man sat next to Lorato in the bus and this brought her back from memories. She turned her head to face the window, mostly because she did not want anyone to see her tears when she started to cry; she could not control her tears, they just flowed without a care in the world. Lorato thought about her parents and how they were going to react after so many years, a decade. Her father would probably not accept her back. She pictured the surprised look on her mother’s aged face; how she was so afraid of her husband she was going to agree to turn her away even though deep inside her heart she wanted to hold her child on her arms again and never let go. Lorato let out a deep sigh and felt her state of stability move resistively, the bus was taking off.

Lorato was going back to Meropeng, a little isolated village next to Serowe, what seemed to be the largest urbanised village in the country of Botswana. The bus would drop her off in Serowe and she would catch the only minibus that still transports people to her home village.

Meropeng was a very tiny village with a population no less than four hundred people. The village was surrounded almost completely by a hill, almost like a basin with an entrance, or a stadium. The hill stood tall protecting its people from the outside evil, which is how all the elders viewed it. No one really believed that a place like Meropeng existed until they actually came to see it for themselves; a place with only one way out in literal terms, unless one went over the hill. No one had ever been over the hill, just around it. This is because an old myth proclaimed the hill was cursed, as much as the people saw it as a protector against enemies. Anyone who went over the hill never came back; that is what the villagers knew and so they told their children and grandchildren and so on. No one though had ever witnessed such a happening. The sunset always was early and dawn was late because of the hill, but everyone was used to it.

Lorato wiped a tear from her cheek. She pulled with it make up she coloured her face with every morning; all the women in the city who were young and vibrant used make up, she was almost twenty nine years old. After an almost four hour trip, the bus finally landed in the village of Serowe. It was almost five in the afternoon and the bus rank in Serowe was slowly losing population. This was normal because people really did not travel in the evening all that much and there was no business for the sellers as well. Lorato stepped out of the bus and waited under a shed for the mini bus to Meropeng. She had a lot of language mostly containing gifts or her parents. If they accepted her back, then she would go back to the city to get the rest of her stuff.

A soft evening breeze was blowing and even though it was getting dark, the hot summer air was still circulating and the rays from the setting sun still pierced the skin very sharply.

“Excuse me, I’m headed for Meropeng village, do you need a ride,” asked an old man.

The time was going to six in the evening and Lorato had been waiting for almost an hour for the minibus.

“H-how did you know I was going to Meropeng?” She finally replied.

“My car is almost here to pick me up. I am headed there myself, would you like a ride,” he paused, “I mean the minibus you are waiting for has retired for the day because it’s too old to work nights in the dusty gravel road.”

A red ford fiesta parked at the almost deserted bus stop soon after the old man stopped speaking. The boot swung open and he threw his bags in. He looked up at Lorato with his offering eyes and she reluctantly made her way to the boot herself to throw in her luggage. Lorato hopped into the back seat and after greeting the driver, she witnessed a reunion of the old man with a much younger man in the driver’s seat; it must have been his grandson or something. She listened to her mind speaking to itself kind of like the same way she did the whole trip from the city to Serowe after the car went off.
Last edited by ziggiefred on Tue Jul 20, 2010 7:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The best is what you make it!

...eh, need a review? Click me!

197 Reviews

Reviews: 197
Thu Jul 15, 2010 1:53 pm
Jetpack says...

Hi, ziggiefred. I'm in awe of your prolific reviewing, so when I saw this, I thought I'd comment. As always, nitpicks and grammar concerns are first, followed by some general feedback.

She thought that if she cried the pain would go away;comma that if she lied lay awake and thought everything through she would understand the pain. She was wrong. She had never given much thought to how what a broken life and a broken heart would be like; colon how what it would look like. New paragraph here.

It was Wednesday. An old scrappy bus was slowly packing with individuals from the city taking their crap back to their respective villages, either to their loved ones or their homes they hardly visited. There was very little traffic at the bus rank because it was right in the middle of the month and most people were at work.

I've quoted the second half of this chunk as well because it seems incredibly out of place compared to your first paragraph. The use of "crap" really grates against the somewhat clichéd and romantic opening. You need to decide on the impression you're aiming for here, rather than presenting two completely different views in the opening.

She could not stop thinking about the past month and what she had encountered, it hurt.

The comma here should probably be an em dash. Also, "encountered" is very clumsy. Consider replacing it.

The bus was noisy from people who were advertising the goods they sold in the bus rank; everything from food, to magazines and newspapers.

This is improper use of the semi-colon, which should separate two complete, but related, sentences. I'd actually recommend you cut the part after the semi-colon and include "myriad of" before "goods".

all the women in the city who were young and vibrant used make up, she was almost twenty nine years old

Cut from "she", as it has no place in this sentence.

slowly losing population.

This is a very strange phrase. Try "emptying".

She had a lot of language mostly containing gifts or her parents

I think you mean "luggage".

“Excuse me, I’m headed for Meropeng villagefull stop. Do you need a ride?” asked an old man.

I am headed there myself, would you like a ridefull stop.” He pausedfull stop. “I

A red Ford Fiesta parked

She listened to her mind speaking to itself kind of like the same way she did the whole trip from the city to Serowe after the car went off.

I love the first part of this, about her mind "speaking to itself", but the second is jerky. Consider revising.

Okay, so, overall, I love that this isn't clichéd, even after its shaky beginning. You've set a totally different scene and we're still not 100% sure what's going on, which is good. I wouldn't say you reveal too much, at all; you just need to ensure that you're not info dumping at some points. I think you do tell rather than show a little too often, but that's something you'll appreciate while continuing writing.

As for it being boring, that's only if you make it so. The sense of setting is quite good here, but I'd like to see a little more of Lorata's character. Introduce some quirks and focus on her a bit more. Personally, I quite enjoyed it, but your writing is occasionally jerky and loses its flow. Either read it aloud, or read carefully through again to try and pick up on that.

I'm not sure I can say much else. Other than making your writing slightly more individual and trying to show, rather than tell, you have a solid foundation on which to build the novel. If you're finding that you're going through drafts of this and it's not quite right, I recommend you just keep writing and come back to this later. You might find it easier when you know your characters a little better.

- Jet.

Reviews: 1
Sat Jul 17, 2010 2:19 am
mikaylakk25 says...

I read the first sentence and I really liked it, so I kept reading.
I really enjoyed this. :)
Yes, I love him. Yes, I can never have him. Yes, I don't care.
Love can't be controlled.

556 Reviews

Reviews: 556
Sat Jul 17, 2010 11:50 pm
ziggiefred says...

Thank you so much guys.
The best is what you make it!

...eh, need a review? Click me!

553 Reviews

Reviews: 553
Fri Jul 23, 2010 5:21 pm
MiaParamore says...

Hey Ziggie. I am finally here and I really felt bad for really not helping you before.

She thought that if she cried the pain would go away; that if she lied awake and thought everything through, she would understand the pain.

It was Wednesday.
This line and everything after this should be made into another paragraph. Mainly because you are going to tell about the day and earlier you were describing some of her emotions. Do you get my point? If this is not clear, then please PM me and ask me.

She could not stop thinking about the past month and what she had encountered, it hurt.
It should be a semi-colon.

“We made it,” he said to her as they watched the bus they came in driving away to the farther side of the bus station.
There should be a comma after the dialog only and only when the after line is short.
ex. "Don't lick your fingers please Dan," my mother scolded.
The dialogue ends in a comma, and the next phrase is a lower-case letter. This only needs to be done if you're describing how they said it. Like, if it ends in something like, she muttered, she said, she whispered, she hissed, ect....

If it's something like:
Dan, don't lick your fingers." She glared at him for a moment before turning around.
Since the next part didn't describe how she said it, the dialouge ends in a period...
If you have any doubts on this, just tell me.

She turned her head to face the window, mostly because she did not want anyone to see her tears when she started to cry; she could not control her tears, they just flowed without a care in the world.
You should chop off the red words. They aren't necessary and the sentence till tears looks perfect.

She pulled with it make up she coloured her face with every morning; all the women in the city who were young and vibrant used make up, she was almost twenty nine years old.
The way you have used the word 'make up' here confuses me, but I can really not tell what exactly it is.

She had a lot of language mostly containing gifts for her parents.
You mean 'luggage'?

A soft evening breeze was blowing and even though it was getting dark, the hot summer air was still circulating and the rays from the setting sun still pierced the skin very sharply.
I liked this description, girl :)

“Excuse me, I’m headed for Meropeng village. Do you need a ride?” asked an old man.

The time was going to be six in the evening and Lorato had been waiting for almost an hour for the minibus

A red Ford Fiesta parked at the almost deserted bus stop soon after the old man stopped speaking.

Well, I liked the idea behind this and I am really glued into what exactly happened that has forced Lerato to come back to her parent's house after ten years. The story as it's set in Africa makes it much different than the usual settings we get to read here at YWS and I think your earlier story also had some village as it's backdrop which is the best thing I like about your writing. Knowing so much about this, makes me guess that you yourself belong from Africa, do you? :wink:

The dialog, even though was less, seems weak to me here. You really not need to include everything in one line and keep on putting commas in the dialog. Give a break and start over with a new line. It can be forgivven that she isn't from an English speaking country so her dialog don't need to be like that of the people from US or England, etc. But still it has got to be natural.

I assume that your first language is not English. I guessed it so from the way you phrase somethings. It is nothing major, but I just wanted to point out this to you. Don't worry, I also don't have English as my mother language, but I am getting my way here with the help of many wonderful writers we have here.

As you asked about the speed of the story, I would like to say that it's too fast. I know that she is feeling some tension from some words you used over here, but I really want to feel it. just give us more imagery, more description of how she looks(even though she won't describe herself vividly but you can tell like: my dark hands..something something), how the person she met looks. I would at last also like to know the tension building up in her chest-after all she is going to confront her family after a decade and her marriage doesn't seem to be approved by her parents, so the tension increases even more. Just slow down a bit and give the reader some time to absorb and really go through what the protagonist is going through. That would make the story a bit better, and a realistic one.

What best I liked her probably has to be the storyline. And the best thing among that was that you didn't give away the whole of story, and kept the suspense which makes me read this more, and I do hope that you do not stop posting it.

I think I have given a bit of harsh review, which I usually don't but nowadays I am becoming cruel. :pirate3: Just take this as constructive criticism and convert this into a General Fiction Novel. I hope you know how to do it? Just PM any Moderator, preferably Lava, as I am more in touch with her, and she would get to your problems. :)

PM me when you want more to review, but it might take me some time. :)

~Shubhi
"Next time you point a finger
I might have to bend it back
Or break it, break it off
Next time you point a finger
I'll point you to the mirror"

— Paramore

9 Reviews

Reviews: 9
Fri Dec 24, 2010 11:37 am
iBel29 says...

First thing try not to be plain with the language, I see you are trying to give back-history, but I think you should give glimpses of them through perhaps showing rather than telling, or conversations like when she asking the old man asked if she need a ride, you could put the history of Meropeng there, and maybe she can even comment saying that most men there aren’t trustworthy or something, showing the personality of people from Meropeng. This also shows how cautious or not cautious she is. This is just a thought, hope you understand what I mean. But I like the last paragraph it sounds like foreboding, I can feel like something bad is going to happen, you can feel her uneasiness but she is only justifying it. The last paragraph worked out, but just work on the detailing and history.

It's been many years since I had such an exemplary vegetable.
— Mr Collins, Pride and Prejudice