z

Young Writers Society

Til Kingdom Come - a post apocalyptic WIP

9 Reviews

Reviews: 9
Tue Jan 05, 2010 4:27 am
superasian says...

**i'm really only looking for in-depth critiques on this, but any kind of feedback is welcome. **

1/21 - (for the kind someone who is actually considering reading this lol) i haven't been able to update this the last couple of weeks because of midterms and all so i'd really appreciate it and love it if you could come back another day for when i update to review! thank you <33

--

The world was bathed in blue beneath the black-navy night sky. Beautiful were the heavens - lightly peppered with stars and the moon was strung high above the earth, like a queen among celestial subjects. There were none on the earth that moved- save one. It was neither the reeds anchored in the bog nor the trees shedding the last of their auburn leaves, but a youth. He moved swiftly across the hills’ bloated faces, dodging or hiding behind twisted rocks that protruded from the ground like molars. He moved quickly like a rabbit hiding from a hunter's dogs but unbeknownst to him, he was being watched by the wolf.
Towering many hundreds of feet above the ground was a nigh impenetrable barrier- a monolith of pure rock that encircled Renegade territory and separated it from the outside world. The bowl’s curvature was riddled with hundreds of caves, but only the largest were visible to those on the ground; however, they were still likened to freckles on a face, so massive was the earthen structure. The caves were perfect for hiding, sleeping, and spying. Peering out from one of the many alcoves was a pair of eyes, pale as aquamarine gemstones.
Noah sat and watched the boy, her limber body bent over like a cattail in the breeze. She seemed static, save for her shifting eyes, which moved with every step – no, every breath the boy made. From her vantage point she noted every characteristic of the boy: tight brown curls clung to his head like snails; a handsome jaw line jutted from his olive skin; he had thin red lips which were parted in exhaustion; he had two muted, emerald eyes housed beneath two, prominent brow ridges. He was slender for his age, yet appeared much larger with his ragged cloak billowing behind him. Despite being able to see every detail on his very human face from afar, Noah likened the boy to an eagle fighting the wind.
“How admirable.” If the Crags could speak, they would sound just like Noah- icy and formidably sharp. Faint sarcasm flew from her mouth, lost in a squall of frigid wind. Hunched over the edge of the cave in a catlike position- her knees bent and her elbows crossed prettily against her knees- she continued. “But, can you get across the river?” Her mouth turned upwards as she watched the boy conquer the last hump of dead earth and was confronted by a river that spanned over a hundred yards. His brows knit in potted frustration when he caught sight of the frothing rapids.
“He won’t get passed the river with that scrawny body of his,” a satin voice said, drifting from the abysmal gloom to the mouth of the cave like an ominous breeze. “Don’t worry about him.”
Noah turned halfway towards her hidden companion, her eyes narrowing as if silently telling her companion to shut-up. In the wake of the ensuing silence, her lips puckered in unease - chubby, salmon colored lips that parted and closed with a loud pop. Her thoughts were as dark as her expression: I’ll kill him myself – then, I’ll toss him in the river to rot.
With her feet beginning to ache, Noah rocked backwards onto her rear, resting her elbows on her thighs and perching her head onto clenched fists.
It took this human a mere forty minutes to cross the tree line and knolls, a task so arduous and draining it would normally take a non-native an hour and a half at the least to conquer. What disturbed Noah wasn't the fact that this boy passed the border and knolls at all, but the fact that he was the second to have done so.
This was the second non-companioned human to cross the borders within this month alone.
Remembering the first released a flood of memories, and Noah's lips stretched taut against her face as if attempting to stopper the cascade. But, it was too late.
In her mind’s eye came the image of his silhouette, stocky and full of muscle. He reminded one of a rhino from his frame to his skin, the latter being of a gray pallor, to his black saucer eyes. Having heaved himself onto the river’s shore, the man had clocked in at the littoral after about two hours. His forehead had gleamed with sweat, his skin slick and burnished like oiled leather, and his chest had been ballooning with air because - unlike the boy- he hadn’t been made for clambering through the outlands.
Noah killed this man that looked like a rhino. She couldn't even remember his name, but Noah clearly remembered the distress on his face: lucid emotion drawn across him like a shadow.
After she had dispatched the man-with-the-forgotten-name, Noah let Paris have his way with him but alas, he could not get a read off his body.
Paris wasn’t anything special, being neither intimidating nor especially handsome. He resembled a boy with his small build and androgynous features- a heart-shaped face fair in complexion, his cheeks framed by copper tresses, and long eyelashes that sprouted from hazel eyes.
While he was quite innocuous to an outside eye, fellow Renegades like Noah knew ‘extraordinary’ wasn’t seen in Paris’ looks, but in his hands. “Psychometry” is what he called it; however, Bron described him as being “a watered down, telepathic reject”. Although Paris was psychic he could only read dead bodies. Most of the time he was summoned after a kill to ‘harvest’ information. If he was present right at the moment of death Paris was more than capable of learning the victim’s name, snippets of their last thoughts, and, most importantly, their affiliation. He was like a “supernatural, cognizant coroner”, another illustration of Paris courtesy of Bron.
But there was a rumor – an ugly rumor - commonly heard within the Renegades and the outside world. The rumor said Paris read people while they still lay alive, dying and begging for his help. According to the rumor, Paris watched his victims’ dying frenzy, absorbing their curses and squeals as if with carnal pleasure. According to the rumor, Paris was a stone-cold killer, a murderer- an animal. According to the rumor, the rumor itself was pure fact; however, Noah and the other Renegades knew full well that Paris’ job within the group tore him apart inside.
“Damn, Noah, you should’ve called me before you killed him.” Paris had tsked in frustration. A paradoxical frown had spanned across his youthful face. Crouched alongside the fallen body with his hands clamped on its wrist, Paris had then sighed and half turned towards Noah. “Perhaps you were having too much fun?” he had asked, his voice low and muffled against the wind. His tone made it sound more like a statement. Although one eyebrow had been quirked comically, the eye beneath the chestnut-haired arc had been without its usual humored twinkle.
The river’s roaring had filled the silence that swelled like an ugly wound between the two.
A moment’s more silence and Noah had then combed her hair backward- a raven black mane like a lioness’ from hell. One always knew there was some sort of emotion running through the girl whenever she did that, no matter how small a spark it was.
“Don’t be ridiculous, Paris,” Noah said, matching Paris’ even tenor. “You and I both know there are things far more fun than killing things we hate.” Her voice had been stiff with contempt as she turned away from the psychic - whose head shook with pity - and started for the alcoves.
Even long after the man-with-the-forgotten-name had been swept away, her remark remained to fester and decompose in the body’s stead.
That incident had not been more than four weeks ago and still the humans sent another courier. What could possibly be going on? Noah thought mutely while her eyes now watched the boy promenade the river’s edge with intermittent glances over his shoulder, debating fervently whether to jump into the water and challenge the current or find some sort of other route. Noah smiled in a somewhat dour yet entertained way as if she was watching a spar between a master and an underdog. She knew, without a doubt, that there was no other pathway to the other side and should he choose to brave the water, it was not only the current that hungered for him but something else and far more dark; a demise wholly more agonizing than drowning would ever be.
To Noah’s great and utter surprise though, the unnamed youth unexpectedly clutched his face as if in mourning and yelled in frustration, “Damned barbarians - why don’t you come out of hiding?” An eerie hush replied back. Beet-faced and enraged, he roared to no one in particular but faced a copse at the base of one of the closest hills where he apparently thought his audience was. But, to Noah’s amusement, he actually had his back turned toward the niche where his observers were rendezvousing in.
“Noah, you should kill him now before Bron catches wind of this ruckus.” Despite the drapery of shadows concealing the dozing companion, someone familiar with the beast like Noah could detect the subtle tenseness in her voice.
“You can’t seriously be afraid of that brute, Kyriè,” Noah sneered jokingly, her mouth upturned at one corner to reveal a gleam of white teeth. “If that’s the case, maybe I should just go find a different partner.”
“Oh no - please don’t do that. It’s just…” she trailed off, murmuring a couple of false starts to herself before settling with,” Just, you know it won’t be good for either the boy or us if he shows up.”
Staring into the darkness, and in the general direction of her friend, a considerate and knowing smile graced Noah’s face before she gave a small nod of silent agreement. At that moment, the young man began to chuck rocks and branches wildly at the rogue bunch of trees over 120 yards away from where he stood. Their skinny bodies huddled together as if cowering from his aggressive attacks, but none of his earthy weapons actually hit them.
Noah rose to her feet and extended her arms above her head in an attempt to stretch off the numbness she was feeling. Her feet hovering over the lips of the cave, preparing to make her descent, she stopped herself at the last moment.
“Wait,” she quickly turned around as she realized her friend intended to accompany her. “Let me take care of this. He’s practically no threat to me; I can take him out easy.”
“What? Are you sure?” Kyriè’s voice was full of uncertainty and her ocher eyes, now discernable through the shade, mirrored her doubt.
With an animated nod and a wave of her hands, Noah dismissed her friend’s worries. “Oh, I’ve done it before and come on- look at him.” She motioned her head in emphasis.
Kyriè answered with her eyes, shifting from Noah’s face to the valley below where the boy was.
“Just - watch me from here and you can come rescue me if the boy manages to best me.” There was an annoyed edge to her voice and, without waiting for a response, Noah hurtled out of the cave’s mouth and towards the plain below.
The bear, now fully visible in the muted sunlight, lumbered hurriedly to where her companion stood moments before with a look of utter frustration. “Don’t be so cocky and come back in one piece!” she bellowed after the freefalling body. Shaking her head as a mother would after her rebellious daughter, the large creature sat back, huffing to herself. “Or two, for all it matters… just come back alive.”
_ _ _ _ _ _ _

FILLER— JUST UNSURE HOW TO TRANSITION FROM SCENE ABOVE TO SCENE BELOW.
Though her arms shook with tension, Noah managed to snake her head around the mess of fingers and steel. With an expression full of derisive curiosity, Noah began to assess her opponent's figure; her eyes flit about his body like a hummingbird jumping from lily to lily.
Jericho, however, could only see a black curtain of jittering eyelashes. He could only wonder and hope to anticipate what she could be planning. "What are you - ?" the man began to snarl between clenched teeth. His eyes were like blistering hellfire and the sweat that dewed his face was like molten earth straight from the planet’s core.
Glaring silver eyes and gnashing teeth cut Jericho off. “What are you?” The last word tore through the air; it was a guttural snarl that still rumbled in Noah's throat even as she paused to catch her breath. Another skim across his body and she looked back at him with a devious smile and a sarcastic taint in her voice. “…five foot eight?”
Then, with an enormous burst of strength, Noah extended her arms and pushed against Jericho, who stumbled backward in a drunken fashion. How the hell did she do that?! Shock – more shock to hide the awe – was strewn across the guy's face.
Noah sprang back up into an upward standing position with her hands resting by her sides. Her clawed-gloves seemed to stare menacingly at Jericho - her fingers were like lips framing the cloves’ curved smiles and their fully bared teeth. “You’re built like a girl, mate.” She jeered at him like a hyena- her body buckled over and her lips peeled back in a guffaw with her hands clutching her middle. Her hair danced around her shoulders like falling water- like black water, filled with plague.
Last edited by superasian on Fri Jan 22, 2010 3:54 am, edited 5 times in total.
"we two alone will sing like birds in the cage… so we'll live, and pray, and sing, and tell old tales, and laugh at gilded butterflies"

wordpress | deviantart

123 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 123
Tue Jan 05, 2010 5:54 pm
Vanadis says...

Hello!
First of all...to answer your questions.
Jericho seems to be a good name for him so far. I think we'd have to see further what his aims are; we really only see him running around and a bit of him facing Noah. And I'm not at all versed in biblical lore, so I looked it up, but it seems to me like it's a fitting name.
About the flashback: It's not really so much that the tenses are mixed up. There's a good transition to the flashback with the phrase "in her mind's eye," which tells us that's she's thinking this, and not seeing it. So. I'm taking it that "Even long after the man-with-the-forgotten-name had been swept away, her remark remained to fester and decompose in the body’s stead" is the end of the flashback. It was a bit hard to spot that at first; I had to go back and look again. You could possibly say something about Noah snapping out of her daydream and back to the situation at hand, or something along those lines. That way, it's a more definite sign to the reader that basically says, "Hey, dude, it's the present again." But your tenses for the most part were good; I did comment on a few (they're later on in the critique.) I think it's not so much the tense as the transition that's a bit confusing.

To the fixin's! This is getting to be a long review, so I'm going to try to make this not boring. Yay for humor!

Beautiful were the heavens-lightly peppered with stars and the moon was strung high above the earth, like a queen among celestial subjects.

This is a great sentence; however, the dash between "heavens" and "lightly" is the one you'd use for a compound word, not a break in the sentence. So when you want to make a compound word (like black-navy in the opening statement--which you did correctly) you push the - button once. When you want to use it as a break in the sentence, you push it twice. That's all just technicalities in typing, though.

Peering out from one of the many alcoves were a pair of eyes, pale as aquamarine gemstones

You forgot to stick a period at the end.

She seemed static, save her shifting eyes, which moved with every step – no, every breath the boy made.

Should be "save for her shifting eyes" since there's no knight in shining armor coming to rescue her eyeballs (regardless of how epic that would be.) Also, in this one, you put a space before and after the dash, which would also be a good way to type it in this instance if you don't want to press - twice.

In the wake of the ensuing silence, her lips puckered in unease; chubby, salmon colored lips that parted and closed with a loud pop.

You can't use a semicolon to separate these phrases, because there has to be a full sentence on either side of a semicolon. You could use a colon, or two dashes, or you could change the second part. I personally like the second phrase as it is, so a change in punctuation would be better.

Paris wasn’t anything special being neither intimidating nor especially handsome.

Comma after "special."

“Psychometry” is what he called it, however Bron described him as being “a watered down, telepathic reject”.

These are two full sentences, and a comma isn't strong enough to separate full sentences. That's a semicolon's sole purpose in life. "'Psychometry' is what he called it; however, Bron...etc..."

But there was a rumor – an ugly rumor - commonly heardwithin the Renegades and the outside world. The rumor said Paris reads people while they still lay alive, dying and begging for his help. According to the rumor, Paris watches his victims’ dying frenzy, absorbing their curses and squeals as if with carnal pleasure. According to the rumor, Paris was a stone-cold killer, a murderer- an animal. According to the rumor, the rumor itself was pure fact; however, Noah and the other Renegades knew full well that Paris’ job within the group tore him apart inside.

"Heard within" got jumbled together.
So this may be one of the sections where the tenses are weird. "The rumor said (past tense) Paris reads (present tense.)" I think "reads" should turn into "read."
"According to the rumor, Paris watches..." Change to "watched," since the flashback is still all past tense. If you'd rather put these in present tense, it would be better to find a different part of the story to explain Paris; however, it goes well here, so find the present tenses and change them to past.

You always knew there was some sort of emotion running through the girl whenever she did that, no matter how small a spark it was.

In narrative, you shouldn't ever use "you." You'd really only ever use "you" in dialogue or else something written specifically for one person. You can change "you" to "one," though, and it would be fine.

What could possibly be going on? Noah thought mutely while her eyes now watched the boy...

Stick "What could possibly be going on?" in some single quotes ('). That way, it's clear that she's thinking and that it's not part of the narrative.

But, to Noah’s amusement, he had his back turned towards the niche in which his observers were actually rendezvousing in.

You should take out the "in" at the end of the sentence, since you've already said "the niche in which..." It's an unnecessary preposition.

“Noah, you should kill him now before Bron catches wind of this ruckus.”

There's actually nothing wrong with this sentence; it just made me happy, because I like the word "ruckus." That and it's a good word, because Bron, to me, seems like a ruckusy sort of guy. Kudos.

“You can’t seriously be afraid of that brute, Kyriè,” Noah sneered jokingly,
her mouth upturned at one corner to reveal a gleam of white teeth.

This somehow managed to break halfway into another paragraph. Half of it is just a one line paragraph, then the second half (her mouth...) starts a completely new one. Probably either an accidental enter key or a formatting brain-fart.

“Oh no - please don’t do that. It’s just…” she trailed off, murmuring a
couple of false starts to herself before settling with,” Just, you know it won’t be good for either the boy or us if he shows up.”

This one did the same thing with starting a random new paragraph.

Her feet hovering over the lips of the cave as she prepared to make her descent she caught herself at the last moment.

This is a sentence fragment. You could change "hovering" to "hovered" and then it would be fixed.

Noah began to assess her opponent's figure; her eyes flit about his body like a hummingbird jumping
from lily to lily.

Another case of random new paragraph.

Her clawed-gloves seemed to stare menacingly, teeth fully bared, at Jericho.

There doesn't have to be a dash between "clawed" and "gloves." Also, is "teeth" referring to the metal claws, or her actual teeth? Maybe, if it refers to the claws, you should make it a simile "...like teeth fully bared..." or something like that. If it means her actual, "I chew with them" teeth, then it should go in a different sentence. I do like the idea of it meaning the claws, though...

FILLER— JUST UNSURE HOW TO TRANSITION FROM SCENE ABOVE TO SCENE BELOW. I ALSO HAVEN'T DONE ANY SORT OF PROOFREADING ON THIS SECTION YET SO PLEASE EXCUSE ME. I HAVEN'T PROPERLY INTRODUCED TO YOU THEIR CHOICE OF WEAPONRY SO I'M SORRY IF YOU'RE A BIT LOST. BASICALLY, JERICHO IS USING A YATAGAN (turkish sword) AND NOAH IS USING CLAWED GLOVES (metallic).

So...you could have her hitting the ground and putting on her gloves as she does (unless she already has them on.) Then, is she sneaking up on him from behind? Or is she going to taunt him and get his attention? Whichever she does, describe his reaction, the drawing of his weapon, and the face-off. Will they speak, or will they just start trying to kill each other? She could try to swat him in the throat just to have her claws parried by the sword, or something like that...that could be the transition. I don't know. As you've seen, I'm horrible at writing action. Anyway...

]Overall: I like your use of vivid language and simile. The only character that really seems to have a definite personality is Paris (well, I guess Bron sort of does, too, even though we haven't seen much of him,) and I want to see everyone else being the lovely (or not-so-lovely) and unique people they really are. (Don't worry, I have to work on that myself...) But I guess there will be more, so I'll trust that it'll come later on. I like the idea so far, even though I'm a bit confused on what they're fighting about. Right now it seems to be a battle between good and evil just for the fun of it. Once again, I trust that it'll probably be explained in the future.
I'm really looking forward to whatever comes next!
Take care,
Vanadis
Last edited by Blink on Sat Jan 16, 2010 1:08 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Removed coloured text.
We've got deep-fried water bears and horse wigs!

If you're slapped in Guam, you're slapped in real life. --chibibo

Need someone to review your novel? Why don't you try checking here? Buddy up!

Last time I checked, love had no gender.

9 Reviews

Reviews: 9
Wed Jan 06, 2010 1:57 am
superasian says...

Vanadis wrote:

pm'd and edited :wink:

<3
"we two alone will sing like birds in the cage… so we'll live, and pray, and sing, and tell old tales, and laugh at gilded butterflies"

wordpress | deviantart

563 Reviews

Reviews: 563
Sun Jan 10, 2010 7:43 pm
Writersdomain says...

Hey superasian! Tis WD, finally here! :D Sorry it took me so long! All right, so I'm just going to touch on a few things here. We'll start with the good:

You have a lovely writing style--as has been mentioned, you write vividly with elaborate metaphors and some simply stunning sentences. It's beautiful and it was a joy to read. The opening image captures the mood your writing uses perfectly. Bravo on a unique style. You mentioned something about the names of your characters, and I very much enjoyed the names. Paris is one of my favorite names. ^^ I'm really curious about your choices of the names Noah and Jericho. The Biblical names make me wonder if you're going to draw any parallels. :wink: So, good job choosing engaging names. I like them.

As I've said, your writing style is lovely, but it also tends to romanticize some things to an excessive degree at times. But I will get into that. Here, let me just go through this and make a few suggestions:

The world was bathed in blue beneath the black-navy night sky. Beautiful were the heavens - lightly peppered with stars and the moon was strung high above the earth, like a queen among celestial subjects. There were none on the earth that moved- save one. It was neither the reeds anchored in the bog nor the trees shedding the last of their auburn leaves, but a youth. He moved swiftly across the hills’ bloated faces, dodging or hiding behind twisted rocks that protruded from the ground like molars. He moved quickly like a rabbit hiding from a hunter's dogs but unbeknownst to him, he was being watched by the wolf.

Towering many hundreds of feet above the ground was a nigh impenetrable barrier- a monolith of pure rock that encircled Renegade territory and separated it from the outside world. The bowl’s curvature was riddled with hundreds of caves, but only the largest were visible to those on the ground; however, they were still likened to freckles on a face, so massive was the earthen structure. The caves were perfect for hiding, sleeping, and spying. Peering out from one of the many alcoves was a pair of eyes, pale as aquamarine gemstones.

Noah sat and watched the boy, her limber body bent over like a cattail in the breeze. She seemed static, save for her shifting eyes, which moved with every step – no, every breath the boy made. From her vantage point she noted every characteristic of the boy: tight brown curls clung to his head like snails; a handsome jaw line jutted from his olive skin; he had thin red lips which were parted in exhaustion; he had two muted, emerald eyes housed beneath two, prominent brow ridges. He was slender for his age, yet appeared much larger with his ragged cloak billowing behind him. Despite being able to see every detail on his very human face from afar, Noah likened the boy to an eagle fighting the wind.

The beginning. The first image is lovely... and then we get another image. Your writing style is beautiful enough you almost pull this off, but there's just one or two things that need to be messed with for this beginning to work. Noah. You introduce her, yes, but all of the stress is on physical descripton and sight here! You show us caves, and you show us hills and then we get to Noah and you describe her with the same lovely style as the scenery and she blends in. This is the problem here. Your characters and the boy she is watching are not sticking out from the scenery; they're blending in because you focus in on their appearances just like you do with the scenery. I would suggest that when you introduce Noah and who she is watching, try to focus in on how they are moving, what they are feeling and their body language. Hone in on the mannerisms and let the appearances wait; that way we get a sharp contrast between scenery and character and the reader gets sucked in by the character while seeing the imagery more easily. Make sense? This is the major issue I had with most of this piece.

“How admirable.” If the Crags could speak, they would sound just like Noah- icy and formidably sharp.

Just want to say that Crags reference is cool.

Faint sarcasm flew from her mouth, lost in a squall of frigid wind. Hunched over the edge of the cave in a catlike position- her knees bent and her elbows crossed prettily against her knees- she continued.

All right, here's another example of where I think the vivid imagery is too much. I love the description ofher posture, but why so wordy in the first sentence? You're piling adjectives in, and yeah, it's pretty, but it's making the reader feel distanced from the story! Less adjectives and more specific nouns and verbs.

In her mind’s eye came the image of his silhouette, stocky and full of muscle. He reminded one of a rhino from his frame to his skin, the latter being of a gray pallor, to his black saucer eyes. Having heaved himself onto the river’s shore, the man had clocked in at the littoral after about two hours. His forehead had gleamed with sweat, his skin slick and burnished like oiled leather, and his chest had been ballooning with air because - unlike the boy- he hadn’t been made for clambering through the outlands.

Again, you launch into description of him. You see, the thing with describing characters straight up is that, no matter how pretty the description is, the reader won't care unless you make them care about the character first. We need to see this man and his mannerisms, the way he moves, some character quirks and things about him before we really start caring what he looks like. It's okay to pick out one detail about the appearance and bring it to the forefront, but elaborating on appearances before the reader cares distances readers from the story.

Paris wasn’t anything special, being neither intimidating nor especially handsome. He resembled a boy with his small build and androgynous features- a heart-shaped face fair in complexion, his cheeks framed by copper tresses, and long eyelashes that sprouted from hazel eyes.

Again, why the telling and description straight up? I want to know Paris and observe how he moves and feel what he feels. I don't want to just see him!

I think what I've pointed out thus far pretty much sums up my issues with this piece. As for the transition you're having trouble with, just try making Noah move. She goes to Jericho, right? A perfect time to show us how careful she is while moving and give us various angles of Jericho. Play with that, I say. :wink:

This piece has a lot of potential! Your writing style is beautiful, but I would urge you to be very careful about description. Description is lovely and you're doing a good job of it, but you seem to be heavy on the description side and lacking in the characterization side right now. Try to focus your decription less on images and more on actions, feelings and body language of your characters and this will improve greatly. :wink: Very nice job! Keep writing! And feel free to PM me if you have any questions!
~ WD
If you desire a review from WD, post here

"All I know, all I'm saying, is that a story finds a storyteller. Not the other way around." ~Neverwas

7 Reviews

Reviews: 7
Sat Jan 16, 2010 2:36 am
attackedbyleaves says...

So first of all, I enjoyed this a lot and I'm curious about the world and the characters. I liked your comparisons and the detail you put into this, especially since this world is different from our own.

My critiques are mainly punctuation/syntax-related, so I'll get to those now. =]

...she continued. "But, can you get across the river?"

I feel like there should be a comma after "continued," rather than a period, since, to me anyway, continued is synonymous to said.

Noah turned halfway towards her hidden companion, her eyes narrowing as if silently telling her companion to shut up.

You use the word companion twice in one sentence, so it sounds a bit repetitive. Maybe switch the second "companion" to "him" or something, since we know after the first who she's with.

...and long eyelashes that sprouted from hazel eyes.

This is a good way to describe the eyelashes, but as it is it makes me think they're coming out of the eyeball itself, which would be pretty painful. I would probably change it to something like, "...from above hazel eyes," just to make that more clear, but I could be being nit-picky, so.

The next one was touched on by one of the other commenters. When you say, "...a murderer - an animal," I feel like a period and a capitalized an would work better. But I don't use em dashes very often, so I may not be completely sure of where they're appropriate.

"You and I both know there are things far more fun than killing things we hate."

I really love that Noah refers to humans as things here, because it shows that she views them as beings lesser than herself. So I would keep that one for sure, but you used thing earlier in the sentence, so it borders on that repetitiveness I mentioned earlier. Maybe change the first one to pastimes or something? I'm not sure what would work there, I just feel like something else might work better. I'm sorry I can't be of more help with this particular one.

"Wait," she quickly turned around.

For this one, the action is separate from what's spoken, so you need a period after wait, then a capital S for she.

The next one is just a tense change. Nothing major at all.
...her eyes flit like...

Flit is present tense. You wrote the rest in past tense, so flit should be flitted.

As for Jericho's name, I like it. It's not crazy out there like some fantasy names can be and it seems to fit him and the world very nicely from what we know of both of those. I agree with Vanadis about a more clear re-entry to the present from the flashback being good. Like her, it took me a minute to realize I was reading the present again and it wasn't still the flashback.

Feel free to PM me if you have any questions or want to talk about this further. I really did enjoy it. :)

Sometimes my life just sounds like surrealistic fiction being sold on clearance at the book store.
— J. G. Hammersmith