z

Young Writers Society

Thorns & Roses [1]

816 Reviews

Reviews: 816
Tue Dec 01, 2009 6:48 am
Shearwater says...

-deleted-
Last edited by Shearwater on Tue Oct 12, 2010 10:59 pm, edited 9 times in total.
There are three rules for writing a novel. Unfortunately, no one knows what they are.
-W. Somerset Maugham

41 Reviews

Reviews: 41
Wed Dec 02, 2009 1:12 am
View Likes
TigerShaard says...

OMG! This is freakin awesome!
Didn't catch many nitpicks, your grammar and spelling seem pretty good, and I love your writing style. It flows, and draws me in. Please post the next piece soon, I don't know how long I can wait!! Great story, its definitely got potential.
Keep Writing!
~Shaard
I hate cynicism -- it's my least favorite quality and it doesn't lead anywhere. Nobody in life gets exactly what they thought they were going to get. But if you work really hard and you're kind, amazing things will happen. I'm telling you, amazing things will happen. - Conan O'Brien

816 Reviews

Wed Dec 02, 2009 1:23 am
Shearwater says...

Aww thanks, that comment made me feel super awesome.
I'm definitely planing on expanding this if it builds up.
Thanks again!

~Pink
There are three rules for writing a novel. Unfortunately, no one knows what they are.
-W. Somerset Maugham

922 Reviews

Reviews: 922
Wed Dec 02, 2009 2:15 am
GryphonFledgling says...

This is interesting... The idea of the girl fighter is something I haven't seen done a lot, and especially not one who still aware of her femininity. I'm excited just at the potential of an idea like that. Then you write a piece with a great flow and one that I really can't find any grammatical nitpicks with and I am on board!

A question: Do her parents know that she is an underground fighter? I'm kind of assuming not from the fact that her father doesn't even like her going to the gym. So, if they don't know, how does she hide the injuries that are obviously being inflicted on her in these fights? I mean, she's getting punched in the face and whatnot with just gloved fists. That leaves marks usually.

One slight nitpick: When Kevin doesn't hold back because she's a girl, she likes it because he is treating her as an equal. When Nick doesn't hold back because she's a girl, it's scary? Is it that she is trying to point out how mechanical Nick is, rather than having a good time like Kevin? Otherwise, we're getting a bit of a double standard.

All in all, though, I liked this. Your fight scenes flow nicely and I like the characters thus far. I really want to see where this is going. Keep it up!

~GryphonFledgling
I am reminded of the babe by you.

816 Reviews

Wed Dec 02, 2009 2:38 am
View Likes
Shearwater says...

Hi GryphonFledging,
Just to answer your question, yes she is afraid of Nicholas because of the way he fights. She enjoys brawling with everyone it's just that there's something about Nick that scares her (Argh, no he's not a vampire!).
There will be more information on her relationship with her father and how she gets around this underground fighting thing, but that will be explained later.
Thanks so much for your review, it gave me some things I need to go over and think about.

~Pink
-W. Somerset Maugham

770 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 770
Wed Dec 02, 2009 3:58 pm
borntobeawriter says...

Hey Pink,

Ok, I read your chapter and I'm ready for the review. Here are my nitpicks...

His blond hair is soft and waves slightly as he moves.

Referring to Kevin's hair. How does she know his hair is soft? She has touched it and she is reminiscing? Or it looks soft? It was just something that stood out for me.

pair of old tattered gloves his father gave him when he passed away.
Ok, this bothers me a little, but only the wording. His father died, so he couldn't have given him the gloves, right? So either his father gave him the gloves before passing away or he inherited them or recieved them after his father's death. But maybe this is just me being picky.

his course brown
Referring to Nicholas. I think the correct spelling is 'coarse'. Hmm, in Canada anyway.

As for another nitpick, I have the same as Gryphon. Maybe you should mention how Nicholas -unlike the other fighters she goes against- doesn't seem to hesitate when facing her. The other ones all hesitate and maybe seem to hold back. She doesn't want him to go easy on her, but he could pretend to. You know?

Ok. I really, really really (really!) loved this chapter. I loved the way how you get a feel of her 'feminity' although she's a fighter. She's not a super chick and she knows it but I somehow felt she longed to feel feminine for a guy. I really felt that and I love her name. Ironically, I have always found 'Victoria', as a name, feminine.

Also, the fight scenes were great! Are you a fighter yourself? Do you have a tougher physique, just like 'Vicks'? Cause we can really relate to her and that is nice.

So far, the ratings are great on this. Please post another chapter and pm me?

Thanks !!

Tanya

78 Reviews

Reviews: 78
Thu Dec 03, 2009 12:33 am
jayleighsmith says...

Oh. I love this.
Girl power!
Haha.
There were a few mistakes that I saw. Like you said warp instead of wrap. begin instead of begins. you switched to third person once and said "she" instead of I. And there were a few others, but i cant find them now.
I really did like reading this. She seems extremely self motivated. A very strong female lead, in a way. Kudos.
I don't have any real overall nitpicks.
Good luck writing this. I want to see more
Sorry I couldnt be more help.
"Only love heals. Anger, guilt, and fear can only destroy and separate you from your true capabilities."-Damen

816 Reviews

Thu Dec 03, 2009 12:50 am
Shearwater says...

Thanks guys,
I've edited a few things for right now and I might go back and fix things later (at work).
Thanks again for the reviews and gold stars! :D

~Pink
:elephant:

(P.S. Tanya, no I don't fight, I'm a tiny little stick figure incapable of executing a proper punch. But I think fighting is cool :wink: Not if it's for the wrong reasons, of course.)
Last edited by Shearwater on Thu Dec 03, 2009 2:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
-W. Somerset Maugham

Reviews: 1
Thu Dec 03, 2009 1:35 am
destiny is calling says...

this is seriously good! :) it flows very well and you describe things so well i can almost imagine that i'm there too please keep writing this
"If God is the DJ, then Life is the dance floor; Love is the rhythm, and You are the music."-unknown

"life isnt about waiting for the storm to pass its about learning to dance in the rain"-lindsey smith

Random avatar

Reviews: 1
Thu Dec 03, 2009 8:25 pm
View Likes
allycat_redrosedreamer says...

Hey there!

This is a really good story! I really like it.

I nearly had a heart attack when i saw the title though because I have a story called "Roses and Thorns" that I've been working on for five years now and the the lead character is also a chick who kicks butt! (I LOVE THE IDEA OF THAT!)
My story is set in the seventeenth century. Long, long while ago.

Anyway, aside from that, this is really a good story. You're good at writing.

(Sorry for the weird reply. This is my first time on the site :))

374 Reviews

Reviews: 374
Fri Dec 04, 2009 2:17 am
BondGirl007 says...

Wow. Great job with this, it's really good. My attention was kept throughout the entire piece, it's got a great flow to it. The descriptions are wonderful, and I enjoyed reading this immensely. I liked Victoria, she's a very real character, and that adds a lot to the story. I don't really have any nit-picks...I can't wait to read the next part! Keep writing!!

~Hope
"I'd rather be hated for being who I am, then loved for who I'm not."

53 Reviews

Reviews: 53
Sat Dec 05, 2009 1:33 am
ScarletteRose says...

I love the way you write. It's precise and it flows perfectly. Your main character has a clear voice and your dialogue is sharp. Your characters all stand out and your details are perfectly balanced. Not too many, but just the right amount. In short, it's pretty dang on close to perfect.

I look forwad to your next installment. (I love Never Back down, by the way.)

~Scar
Everyone's favorite life coach.
♪♥♫◦°°◦Lette◦°°◦♫♥♪

My blog: http://empressofsnark.blogspot.com/

27 Reviews

Reviews: 27
Sun Dec 06, 2009 7:03 am
View Likes
twilight tiger says...

this kept me absorbed! I loved it! the detail, the writing, the way you stuck only to the stuff about the fighting. It was amazing. I only saw about two spelling errors in the whole story. That's pretty good, since I come across way more than that. your work is wonderful, everything in the story is so great. I especially liked the last line from Nicholas. I can't wait to see more. Is there going to be a romantic pairing? between Vicks and Kevin? or Vicks and Nicholas? or is there going to be a new guy that will the victim to the love bug? that will make one of the others or both of them jelous?
The road is full of many bumps and mounds; it's up to the strength of our heart and soul to be able to overcome them.

10 Reviews

Reviews: 10
Sun Dec 06, 2009 7:10 am
Joanne Adylse Lynne says...

Keep doing this! I'm looking forward to reading your next chapters. This is going to be pretty awesome. =)
http://silentoddity.blogspot.com

I'm not weird, I'm just limited edition- something I saw on a classmate's T-shirt.

816 Reviews

Sun Dec 06, 2009 4:29 pm
Shearwater says...

Wow, I never expected this. I just wrote this one night when I couldn't fall asleep so yeah, wow.
Now I just hope the next chapter that I've been preparing matches up to this one.
I'll work hard!
Thank you all so much, yet again!

~Pink
-W. Somerset Maugham

Mr. Scorpio says productivity is up 2%, and it's all because of my motivational techniques -- like donuts and the possibility of more donuts to come.
— Homer Simpson