z

Young Writers Society

Free

365 Reviews

Reviews: 365
Thu Jun 18, 2009 1:21 am
Antigone Cadmus says...

For Rosey's contest, and my first short fiction story voluntarily written. :D

She will not look back. Her footsteps pit pat throughout the cave, bouncing off the stalactites and into her pounding eardrum. Face hot, she presses on, legs burning, chubby nubile thighs pumping. Her muscles beg her to stop; the river invites her to cool her parched throat. But still she continues.
Tears are streaming down her cheeks, but she cannot feel them. She is numb.
Finally, she comes to a stop, a lurching halt that nearly throws her to her knees. Breaths come erratically, rasping out of her throat like a desert wind. Life-giving air returns to her lungs, and her breathing becomes regular. Calm. Almost, until the blue orbs in her face dart throughout the darkness, pupils dilating.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Where am I? she mouths to no one. Why had she come? Never go into an unfamiliar cave – it was a simple lesson. Stupid, she thought, tears burning her eyes. He’s right. She should just go back.
She glances back at that little sleepy-eye sliver of light at the top of the cave. She’s so far down; she can’t get up if she tries. Can she?
Experimentally, she grabs a rock as a handhold, and pulls. She can get out. She pauses, fixated at a purple mar in her pale flesh. Don’t be a baby, it’s not even big enough to be from… she swallows her nervousness and looks back at the light.
But her sleeve has come up, and she can see the skin, mottled violet and green all over.
He looms over her. A monster.
Not the kind that lived under your bed, not one who went away when you woke up in the morning.
“Don’t ya wanna gimme a kiss, Katy?” She is overwhelmed by the stench of alcohol wafting acridly from his mouth. “A kiss goodnight for Daddy?”
She pushes him away weakly; even her muscles have accepted this as reality. “No.” The words push themselves out of her lips before she can stop herself. They hover in the air, a fantastical bubble the two observe in a hazy moment of quiet. But the reality of gravity sets in; her words tumble to the ground, and he grabs her by the throat.
“What did you say to me?”
She shakes her head vehemently and shuts her eyes tight. Red blotches appear in vision as she shuts them tighter and tighter. If she can’t see him, perhaps she’ll disappear all together.
She’s numb. The blows barely register in her brain. All she knows is that he’s hurting her. And then she sees something – a light.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------That was the day she first meets Jenna. Jenna understands. She comforts Katy when she’s hurt. She tells Katy that it’s not her fault. Jenna is a friend.
“Jenna!” she calls. Her voice sounds foreign in her own ears.
And at once, she feels herself slipping into a daze. The same daze she goes into while he’s beating her. Jenna is like a light. Katy can only see her out of her peripheral vision, but she knows she’s there. She’s always there.
“Jenna, is this where you wanted me to go?”
Yes.
The voice is there, Katy knows it. It pierces into her mind. “It’s real,” Katy reassures herself.
And you brought what I asked?
Her fingers fly to her waist, feel the fine tip of the knife. She shuts her eyes and lets it bite into her finger.
Not here. Keep going.
Katy nods, and climbs off the rock wall, and further into the cave.
Follow the river.
She presses on, compelled by some unscented force.
Her vision blurs, and she pats the tip again for comfort. It is still there, and its steel sting reassures her.
She sees things around her. Doorways. Worlds. Paths to freedom. A meadow calls to her, she can smell the green fields. A tree in the middle of spring, bursts of pink blossoms in the air. Strange worlds. Galaxies with planets encircled by moons, numerous suns blazing like infernos. She claws against the rock walls.
She can’t wait any longer. She pulls the kitchen knife from her hip, and giggles escapes her throat. They escalate into a full-on maniacal laugh. Jenna laughs with her. The crimson welling from her finger burns into her retinas. And it’s real. Too real.
The knife slips from her fingers, clatters to the ground.
What is it?
“No,” she gasps. Her lungs feel heavy. “I can’t.”
But don’t you remember…
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The bottles cover the floor. A shivering creature shudders in the corner, a deer in the head lights. The mass of fear is a girl.
“Where… is… my… money!” The verbal punches come between the physical blows.
She can’t find the words to explain that little girls need food , don’t they? And school supplies comes before his alcohol.
"And even she didn't want you," he slurs. The meaning is obvious. She can remember her mother, standing in the doorway, eyes bloodshot. "I can't deal woith this!" she had shouted. And then she'd left. Left Katy behind. Katy tells herself still that it wasn't her mother, that was drugs talking, the cocain with a mouth of it's own. But she hears that thouse who are under the influence of such substances speak their mind. Speak the truth.
But it’s pointless. She closes her eyes, and waits for the pounding to end.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
And suddenly the crimson seeping from her finger is inviting. “Can’t I leave now?”
Farther.
She obeys. “So many paths…” Katy whispers. Which one to enter?
You cannot enter until you’re ready.
“Will I know?”
I think you will.
Katy pulls out the weapon, runs it down her arm, pulling the bruised skin off, exposing the veins. She watches with fascination as her body betrays itself, each beat of her heart pumps more life out. The black closes in, and she’s slipping, falling…
Free.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Meh. I really don't like it much.
Thanks for reading!

--Antigone
Last edited by Antigone Cadmus on Mon Jul 20, 2009 11:31 am, edited 3 times in total.
Odi et amo. quare id faciam, fortasse requiris?
nescio, sed fieri sentio et excrucior.
-Catullus, Carmen 85

675 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 675
Thu Jun 18, 2009 2:57 am
lilymoore says...

Okay, Antigone, I’m going to agree with you about how you how it is in fact a bit corny.

But…I will say this…it can become better. I’m not going to nitpick because grammatically, this is fine. What you need to look at is all in the larger details.

Description
First off, this really lacks detail. Rosey gave a wonderful picture for a prompt but you don’t see any of that detail in your story. You gave us the bare minimum at best and then sprinkled in some details. You obviously don’t have to give us every single little insignificant detail, but a few more would be nice. Scene is what helps pull the character in. It helps set the mood and tone. If you want the piece to seem eerie, you make the setting feel eerie through description.

Not only that, but I’m not sure where it is that the particular scene in the picture is supposed to be in the story. It’s this lack of detail that makes the story feel…in your words…corny.

Time span
The course of the action in the story is so quick that it feels like her journey lasted only a matter of a few sentences. And I don’t think you want that very much. Trace her path through the cave and fill it with more thought and more emotion. Which brings me to my next point.

Emotion
Okay, we know that she feels numb. You bring this idea up at least twice in the story. But where else should be feel connected to her. The flash back lets us know why she feels the way she does (and I have to add that the description there was in fact, wonderful) but there is so little emotion in here that we don’t have much to sympathize with.

That corny thing you mentioned
The reason it feels corny, Antigone, is that this is honestly, a very overdone theme. (little girl, abuse, suicide) Now sometimes, seeing the same old thing with a new twist is nice, (and bringing it to a cave is a different idea) but without the other elements above, it becomes just another story.

*suddenly feels mean* Here, have a cupcake. :smt113

~lilymoore
Never forget who you are, for surely the world will not. Make it your strength. Then it can never be your weakness. Armor yourself in it, and it will never be used to hurt you.

402 Reviews

Reviews: 402
Thu Jun 18, 2009 3:39 am
Clo says...

Ms. Antigone Cadmus Haruno Sakura... I am here to review. :)

---

Her footsteps pit pat throughout the walls, bouncing off the stalactites and into her pounding eardrum.

"Throughout" seems like an odd wordchoice here. The imagery it creates makes me think of "through the walls", as in within the walls. It doesn't seem like the right word for the imagery you're trying to create. It would make more sense to say it "pit pat throughout the rooms", or to say that it "pit pat between the walls".

Face hot, she presses on, face burning, chubby nubile thighs pumping

I'm assuming the repetition of "face" is on purpose, but I don't think it works here.

She is nothing now. But she will be.

The "but she will be" doesn't quite work. Do you mean she will be nothing? To avoid that sort of reading, it should be: "She is nothing now. But she will be something".

it was simple lesson.

"a simple lesson", small typo.

“No,” The words push themselves out of her lips before she can stop herself. They hover in the air, a fantastical bubble the two observe in a hazy moment of quiet.

I really love the description right here.

Jenna is a like a light.

I usually don't like pointing out typos, but if this is for a contest it's best to get them out of there before the end date. :)

---

Oh wow, that ending certainly made me cringe. Peeling away the bruises. Ooh. That makes me shiver, that sounds horrifying. The imagery, I mean.

I think this was a very interesting story, and it has the potential to be solid with some tweaking. This story has a very drastic ending, that being suicide, so I think there need to be a big lead up to that. More than one brief flashback (which was very well executed with the description, but very, very brief). Multiple flashbacks, several instances, involving her emotion and what he does to her and how she makes her feel are necessary to make the suicide seem fully appropriate. Right now, as it is, it's sort of like, "Oh, she's sad, and yeah, she commits suicide". With some more build up, we can build a more personal attachment where we get a big punch in the chest when she does that, feel some real solid emotion for her because we know how she's feeling very intimately.

Also, I feel like Jenna is sort of random. She's an alternate personality -- you have to be *pretty* messed up to have Multiple Personalities, so let us feel that. Let us feel her slow spiraling down into derangement, so that when she ends her life, we're heartbroken. If you want Jenna's role to be so brief like this, then it's better off not having her in this story as a character. If she's going to be only briefly described, then it's not worth having her, and it would be better to focus on her horrible relationship with her father, rather than a brief character that seems to only be her comfort into suicide, though if she's being abused she has enough reasons to kill herself in the storyline.

I do like how you put the setting in a cave. I think that puts a little twist on the typical "abused teenage girl" story. I'd like to know how she finds this cave, why she considers this a place where she can finally escape, be free. It would add a lot to the story.

Really, this is a good story, and it needs to be added to. I hope this review was helpful!

~ Clo
How am I not myself?

365 Reviews

Thu Jun 18, 2009 10:21 am
Antigone Cadmus says...

Lily Moore -- I completely agree with everything you said. I'm well aware that the poor abused child card is played a bit to often. But I felt it would be an original voice in Rosey's contest. I have a feeling she's expecting, well, happier stories than this. I know Rosey is a fan of fantasy and fairies, so I decided, "Well, what if the fantasy was someone else's reality?"

Clo -- Ah. The typos. Thanks for pointing those out. Oops, the repetition was quite as purposeful as you seem to think. I was noticing that while writing it. I agree, it needs to be expanded, badly. This I will do. ^_^

I know it needs a lot of work, and I don't want to sound like I'm defending my story -- but this *is* simply a rough sketch of what I want. Rosey's contest doesn't end until July, so I'll probably edit and rewrite this until I detest it. :wink:

Thanks again! You both were sooo helpful.
-Catullus, Carmen 85

196 Reviews

Reviews: 196
Fri Jun 19, 2009 12:35 am
peanutgallery007 says...

I'm very intrigued. In the good way xD

I thought it was awesome, and I found myself being sucked in and wanting more. That's wonderful! I rarely get sucked into things, but I found this to be very good.

However. Looking at it in a critics view, I had an opinion of too many fragments at the beginning. I know you wanted it to seem hazy and dramatic, but I found them being used every. Single. Line. Like. This.
See what I mean? Not a huge change, maybe not even a change at all since it's just my opinion. :D

ALSO! I found the ending particularly confusing. It was switching back and forth from memories and present, was it not? Yes, in the beginning, I understood that but at the end it blurred together. That might be what you intended, but it sort of wrangled me out of that gotta-read-more feeling. So, maybe work on that just a tad.

Other than those things, Clo seemed to have pointed out typos and grammar issues, but I disagree with Lily on the "poor abused child" bit. I found it added to the background of the story, and made the character who she is.

SO! Overall, a wonderful job ;)

~April
Have a peanut =)

Try your hand at my poetry contest!

Proud LGBT supporter.

365 Reviews

Sat Jun 20, 2009 10:32 pm
Antigone Cadmus says...

Hmm. Thank ye very much, April. :)

I'm not quite sure I see the fragments you're talking about...

But thanks again. :)

An edited version will be up shortly.
-Catullus, Carmen 85

537 Reviews

Reviews: 537
Thu Jul 02, 2009 9:03 pm
Evi says...

Hey Tigger! ^_^ Sorry for any delay.

So, I'll start off with some overall comments. I thought the narrative was a bit stilted. Thsi is partly due to the present tense, which is always hard to pull off in stories like this (kind of passive action, creepy, eerie etc.) and I think you could work on your sentence structure to make the voice sound a bit more natural. Right now the flow is rather robotic, I think, although I liked the idea and your characters were protrayed nice and vividly.

She will not look back. Her footsteps pit pat throughout the cave, bouncing off the stalactites and into her pounding eardrum (Only one eardrum? Make this plural.). Face hot, she presses on, legs burning, chubby nubile thighs pumping. Her muscles beg her to stop; the river invites her to cool her parched throat. But still she continues.
Tears are streaming down her cheek(s), but she cannot feel them. She is numb.
Finally, she comes to a stop, a lurching halt that nearly throws her to her knees. [s]Breaths come [/s]Breath comes erratically, rasping out of her throat like a desert wind. Life-giving air returns to her lungs, and her breathing becomes regular. Calm. (I'd replace this period with a comma to connect these two sentences.) Almost, until the blue orbs in her face dart throughout (through?) the darkness, pupils dilating.

Alright, my main issue here is the voice. It's almost like your narrator is trying to sound ominous and spooky, but it's falling slighty flat. I think this is because of a common repetition/problem:

Her footsteps pit pat throughout the cave,

Her muscles beg her to stop

the river invites her to cool her parched throat

Tears are streaming down her cheek

Breath comes erratically

Life-giving air returns to her lungs

the blue orbs in her face dart throughout the darkness

What's the common sentence structure here? Inanimate objects (footsteps, muscles, river, tears, etc.) keep doing something (pit pat, beg, invites, comes, returns, dart, etc.). In itself this isn't a problem, but you've done so much of the same sentence structure in there two paragraphs that your narration becomes choppy and the readers can't find as rhythmic a flow. Try changing some of these sentences so that they describe more, instead of all this action. (Yes, I'm telling you to tell instead of show. :P) Or have it revolve more about the MC herself than what her body parts (muscles, blue orbs, breath) are doing.

Her fingers fly to her waist, feel the fine tip. She shuts her eyes and lets it bite.

I don't understand this. What fine tip? She let's what bite what?

Unscented? :D I think you mean either unseen, unforseen, unsensed...but not odorless.

She pulls the kitchen knife from her hip, and giggles escapes her throat. They escalate into a full-on maniacal laugh. Jenna laughs with her. The crimson welling from her finger burns into her retinas. And it’s real. Too real.
What is it?

I think this sudden transition between her giggling manically in anticipation and then her sudden realization that it's 'too real' isn't described or explored enough. You go from her being anxious to do this, and then suddenly she decides against it? Explain that a bit more thoroughly.

The mass of fear is a girl.

I think we realize that, so you can scratch it. ^_^ As you wisely told me once, it sounds sort of Yoda-esque.

She can’t find the words to explain that little girls need food , don’t they? And school supplies comes before his alcohol

Comes shoudl be = 'come', and you forgot your period at the end. Watch the little typos. (Not that I'm one to talk, lol. xD)

:arrow: All in all, I did think the effect came across nicely, but you could run a fine-tooth comb through this and rephrase some sentences so that the overall feel is more natural, more flowing. You may be going for a disjointed feel, which I think does work well, but some sentences (especially in the beginning) seem forced. Work on those, and you'll be good! ^_^

Also, your formatting. I dont think you need all of those ------------------ in between. Maybe just a single asterisk? (*) That would be cleaner.

PM me for anything!

~Evi
"Let's eat, Grandma!" as opposed to "Let's eat Grandma!": punctuation saves lives.

1125 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 1125
Sun Jul 12, 2009 6:24 pm
StellaThomas says...

Hey Anti- I never finished my critique of this last time, so here goes!

I. NITPICKS

Tears are streaming down her cheek,

Just... the one cheek?

[i]He looms over her. A monster.

You've probably realised your italics tags don't work...

“No,” The words push themselves out of her lips before she can stop herself.

Full stop after "No."

And school supplies comes before his alcohol

Full stop at the end here...

II. FANTASY V. REALITY

This is a very interesting story, and I couldn't help relating it to Pan's Labyrinth- maybe you've seen it? It's quite similar. However, there are some things I'd just like you to consider about how thie fantasy world, the grotto and pathways to different worlds is tied to Katy's own world. Jenna. How does she meet Jenna? Is Jenna real? Or imaginary? And the cave too- where did she find the entrance, what does she think of it while she's in there? You can get into her head, remember, and feel free to... I'd just like to see the point where the two worlds collide...

Also, her mother: where is she? That's always an interesting theme to put in such things...

III. OVERAll

I liked it, dear, even if you weren't too sure yourself. I'd like to see some more detail though, like the things I explained above, and also her age, because I think that's important.

Good luck anyway!

Hope I helped, drop me a note if you need anything!

-Stella x
"Stella. You were in my dream the other night. And everyone called you Princess." -Lauren2010

365 Reviews

Sun Jul 12, 2009 6:38 pm
Antigone Cadmus says...

Pan's Labyrinth... heard of it, never seen it.

:shock: So I totally forgot that kids had mothers. Tee hee.

Thanks a lot, Stella. :D
-Catullus, Carmen 85

8 Reviews

Reviews: 8
Wed Jul 22, 2009 7:10 pm
caitlin*elizabeth*rose7 says...

Hey, it's Caitlin! Okay, to work... :D

Antigone Cadmus wrote:
She will not not look back.
---C--- I like the present-tense here, saying "she will" instead of "she was".

Her footsteps pit pat throughout the cave, bouncing off the stalactites and into her pounding eardrum.
---C--- I think "pit pat" should have a hyphen (pit-pat), since it's a two-word (teehee!) phrase. Also, it should be italicized since it's an ottomottopea.

Face hot, she presses on, legs burning, chubby nubile thighs pumping. Her muscles beg her to stop; the river invites her to cool her parched throat. But still she continues.
Tears are streaming down her cheeks, but she cannot feel them. She is numb.
Finally, she comes to a stop, a lurching halt that nearly throws her to her knees. Breaths come erratically, rasping out of her throat like a desert wind. Life-giving air returns to her lungs, and her breathing becomes regular. Calm. Almost, until the blue orbs in her face dart throughout the darkness, pupils dilating.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Where am I? she mouths to no one. Why had she come? Never go into an unfamiliar cave – it was a simple lesson. Stupid, she thought, tears burning her eyes. He’s right. She should just go back.
She glances back at that little sleepy-eye sliver of light at the top of the cave. She’s so far down; she can’t get up if she tries. Can she?
Experimentally, she grabs a rock as a handhold, and pulls. She can get out. She pauses, fixated at a purple mar in her pale flesh. Don’t be a baby, it’s not even big enough to be from… she swallows her nervousness and looks back at the light.
But her sleeve has come up, and she can see the skin, mottled violet and green all over.
Not the kind that lived under your bed, not one who went away when you woke up in the morning.
“Don’t ya wanna gimme a kiss, Katy?” She is overwhelmed by the stench of alcohol wafting acridly from his mouth. “A kiss goodnight for Daddy?”
She pushes him away weakly; even her muscles have accepted this as reality. “No.” The words push themselves out of her lips before she can stop herself. They hover in the air, a fantastical bubble the two observe in a hazy moment of quiet. But the reality of gravity sets in; her words tumble to the ground, and he grabs her by the throat.
“What did you say to me?”
She shakes her head vehemently and shuts her eyes tight. Red blotches appear in vision as she shuts them tighter and tighter. If she can’t see him, perhaps she’ll disappear all together.
She’s numb. The blows barely register in her brain. All she knows is that he’s hurting her. And then she sees something – a light.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------That was the day she first meets Jenna. Jenna understands. She comforts Katy when she’s hurt. She tells Katy that it’s not her fault. Jenna is a friend.
“Jenna!” she calls. Her voice sounds foreign in her own ears.
And at once, she feels herself slipping into a daze. The same daze she goes into while he’s beating her. Jenna is like a light. Katy can only see her out of her peripheral vision, but she knows she’s there. She’s always there.
“Jenna, is this where you wanted me to go?”
Yes.
The voice is there, Katy knows it. It pierces into her mind. “It’s real,” Katy reassures herself.
And you brought what I asked?
Her fingers fly to her waist, feel the fine tip of the knife. She shuts her eyes and lets it bite into her finger.
Not here. Keep going.
Katy nods, and climbs off the rock wall, and further into the cave.
Follow the river.
Her vision blurs, and she pats the tip again for comfort. It is still there, and its steel sting reassures her.
She sees things around her. Doorways. Worlds. Paths to freedom. A meadow calls to her, she can smell the green fields. A tree in the middle of spring, bursts of pink blossoms in the air. Strange worlds. Galaxies with planets encircled by moons, numerous suns blazing like infernos. She claws against the rock walls.
She can’t wait any longer. She pulls the kitchen knife from her hip, and giggles escapes her throat. They escalate into a full-on maniacal laugh. Jenna laughs with her. The crimson welling from her finger burns into her retinas. And it’s real. Too real.
What is it?
But don’t you remember…
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The bottles cover the floor. A shivering creature shudders in the corner, a deer in the head lights. The mass of fear is a girl.
“Where… is… my… money!” The verbal punches come between the physical blows.
She can’t find the words to explain that little girls need food , don’t they? And school supplies comes before his alcohol.
"And even she didn't want you," he slurs. The meaning is obvious. She can remember her mother, standing in the doorway, eyes bloodshot. "I can't deal woith this!" she had shouted. And then she'd left. Left Katy behind. Katy tells herself still that it wasn't her mother, that was drugs talking, the cocain with a mouth of it's own. But she hears that thouse who are under the influence of such substances speak their mind. Speak the truth.
But it’s pointless. She closes her eyes, and waits for the pounding to end.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
And suddenly the crimson seeping from her finger is inviting. “Can’t I leave now?”
Farther.
She obeys. “So many paths…” Katy whispers. Which one to enter?
You cannot enter until you’re ready.
“Will I know?”
I think you will.
Katy pulls out the weapon, runs it down her arm, pulling the bruised skin off, exposing the veins. She watches with fascination as her body betrays itself, each beat of her heart pumps more life out. The black closes in, and she’s slipping, falling…
Free.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Meh. I really don't like it much.
Thanks for reading!

--Antigone
[b]
Two camels in a tiny car!

8 Reviews

Wed Jul 22, 2009 8:44 pm

Antigone Cadmus wrote:
---C--- I like the present-tense here, saying "she will" instead of "she was". ---
Her footsteps pit pat throughout the cave, bouncing off the stalactites and into her pounding eardrum.
---C--- I think "pit pat" should have a hyphen (pit-pat), since it's a two-word (teehee!) phrase. Also, it should be italicized since it's an onomatopoeia.---
Breaths come erratically, rasping out of her throat like a desert wind.
---C--- nice comparison.---
Calm. Almost, until the blue orbs in her face dart throughout the darkness, pupils dilating.
---C--- a little confusing here. See, we still don't know that she's running from something. Maybe you could add a bit about what she sees in the darkness that scares her, though the vagueness does give an aura of *mystery*. Also, "Blue orbs in her face"... It kind of reads a bit weird.---
He’s right. She should just go back.
---C--- who's right? Where should she go back? Now might be the time for a few details.
---C--- describe the cave a bit more. What's going on here is a little blurry. How'd she get to the cave? What does the cave look like, is it a maze, or a spiralling hole of doom?---
---C--- woah! Where'd he come from?---
She’s numb.
---C--- wasn't a phrase similar to this used before...?---
The voice is there, Katy knows it.
---C--- She knows it... Just me, but I think it would read better if it said "... Katy knows ^this^"---
She sees things around her. Doorways. Worlds. Paths to freedom. A meadow calls to her, she can smell the green fields. A tree in the middle of spring, bursts of pink blossoms in the air. Strange worlds. Galaxies.
---C--- I like the description here. But what exactly does she think she's seeing? I assume their heavens?---
She can’t wait any longer. She pulls the kitchen knife from her hip, and giggles escapes her throat. They escalate into a full-on maniacal laugh. Jenna laughs with her.
---C--- oooh, I love stories that involve psychotic laughter! (am I messed up?) :D ---
But it’s pointless.
---C--- what's pointless? Is it thinking of her mother, or trying to defend the thoughts she had of her mother? Or trying to reason with her dad?---
[i]You cannot enter until you’re ready.
“Will I know?”
I think you will.
Katy pulls out the weapon, runs it down her arm, pulling the bruised skin off, exposing the veins. She watches with fascination as her body betrays itself, each beat of her heart pumps more life out. The black closes in, and
she’s slipping, falling…
---C--- so the voice inside her head tells her she isn't ready, but she kills herself immediatly anyways... a little awkward.---
Free.
---C--- the solitude of this word creates good effect, I like it :D ---

I couldn't really see where the story was leading,what was going on... Why was she in the cave? Why was her father there? Was he really even there? Was the knife there all along?

It could use a few more who/what/when/where/why stuff. It has potential, and I liked the concept of it, though the tale may be slightly cliched. Maybe add a little bit of a twist, personallize it even more.

But I did like it. (the psychotic laughing gave me chills :D )

Keep up the great work! :D

*caitlin

8 Reviews

Wed Jul 22, 2009 8:44 pm

Antigone Cadmus wrote:
---C--- I like the present-tense here, saying "she will" instead of "she was". ---
---C--- I think "pit pat" should have a hyphen (pit-pat), since it's a two-word (teehee!) phrase. Also, it should be italicized since it's an onomatopoeia.---
Breaths come erratically, rasping out of her throat like a desert wind.
---C--- nice comparison.---
Calm. Almost, until the blue orbs in her face dart throughout the darkness, pupils dilating.
---C--- a little confusing here. See, we still don't know that she's running from something. Maybe you could add a bit about what she sees in the darkness that scares her, though the vagueness does give an aura of *mystery*. Also, "Blue orbs in her face"... It kind of reads a bit weird.---
He’s right. She should just go back.
---C--- who's right? Where should she go back? Now might be the time for a few details.
---C--- describe the cave a bit more. What's going on here is a little blurry. How'd she get to the cave? What does the cave look like, is it a maze, or a spiralling hole of doom?---
---C--- woah! Where'd he come from?---
She’s numb.
---C--- wasn't a phrase similar to this used before...?---
The voice is there, Katy knows it.
---C--- She knows it... Just me, but I think it would read better if it said "... Katy knows ^this^"---
She sees things around her. Doorways. Worlds. Paths to freedom. A meadow calls to her, she can smell the green fields. A tree in the middle of spring, bursts of pink blossoms in the air. Strange worlds. Galaxies.
---C--- I like the description here. But what exactly does she think she's seeing? I assume their heavens?---
She can’t wait any longer. She pulls the kitchen knife from her hip, and giggles escapes her throat. They escalate into a full-on maniacal laugh. Jenna laughs with her.
---C--- oooh, I love stories that involve psychotic laughter! (am I messed up?) :D ---
But it’s pointless.
---C--- what's pointless? Is it thinking of her mother, or trying to defend the thoughts she had of her mother? Or trying to reason with her dad?---
[i]You cannot enter until you’re ready.
“Will I know?”
I think you will.
Katy pulls out the weapon, runs it down her arm, pulling the bruised skin off, exposing the veins. She watches with fascination as her body betrays itself, each beat of her heart pumps more life out. The black closes in, and
she’s slipping, falling…
---C--- so the voice inside her head tells her she isn't ready, but she kills herself immediatly anyways... a little awkward.---
Free.
---C--- the solitude of this word creates good effect, I like it :D ---

I couldn't really see where the story was leading,what was going on... Why was she in the cave? Why was her father there? Was he really even there? Was the knife there all along?

It could use a few more who/what/when/where/why stuff. It has potential, and I liked the concept of it, though the tale may be slightly cliched. Maybe add a little bit of a twist, personallize it even more.

But I did like it. (the psychotic laughing gave me chills :D )

Keep up the great work! :D

*caitlin

1272 Reviews

Reviews: 1272
Sat Aug 15, 2009 10:51 pm
Rosendorn says...

Hiya Antigone!

I know that this is very late but here is the prize critique for entering my contest! I was judging on plot, characters, use of picture/world and an "other" category for things that didn't fit into the above.

Plot: Oh the plot. I really didn't like it, not because it was poorly done, although it could stray to the overdone with the situation, but I don't like suicide plots at all. I don't really find that any situation could be so bad as to warrant taking your own life, and this situation really felt poorly explained. The girl felt too young (I thought she was about seven) and the motivation wasn't really there. Sure, he beats her and her mom's gone, but it just doesn't feel like there was enough behind her choice.

Characters: The mom really feels thrown in there, and the dad just seems like a catalist to Katy's suicide. Katy herself feels underdeveloped, since I don't really see her logic. Surely she had something else in her life other than really poor parents? Friends, school, something? It really doesn't make much sense to me.

And Jenny. There's so much possibility to turn her into a really good antagonist, but she's just there, really. Urging Katy to commit suicide.

Use of Picture: I didn't really felt like you used it at all. There was no real backhistory to the cave, no reason for it to exist. The actual portals didn't even show up that much, which was really counterproductive to the whole point of the contest. You could have made Jenny come from one of the worlds and coax Katy in there, made Katy pick a world over the "freedom" of death, a whole host of things. The picture just seemed to be in the background when I really wanted it to play more of a role.

Other: I found the emotion and situation didn't really carry through here. You start off with one idea, and then go onto a slightly new one, and pretty soon the story's lost its track.

Good luck in the future,

~Rosey
A writer is a world trapped in a person— Victor Hugo

Ink is blood. Paper is bandages. The wounded press books to their heart to know they're not alone.

It's a dramatic situation almost every time you answer the phone—if you answer the phone.
— Matthew Weiner