Young Writers Society

Sitting in a Rainbow [1]

1176 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 1176
Thu Jun 04, 2009 6:27 pm
Twit says...

ONE: Such Fun In The Market

‘This is the tale of the famed, mysterious and immortal freedom fighter-ninja. She is known only by the name whispered on bated breath during games of Chinese Whispers with Auld Lang Syne played by a blind ocarina player underneath the table. The tale that curves, long and sinuous, in and out of time and history, wrapped around the ankles of the universe and tickling its toes so that the universe shakes and trembles in amusement.

This is the tail of the Raven. However, being a bird, she doesn’t have a very long tail. In fact…’ The Raven looked over her shoulder, squinting down her nose. ‘Being a hybrid, she doesn’t actually have any tail at all. So the analogy kind of falls down flat, doesn’t it?’

The cat licked a paw and rubbed behind its ears, then stuck out a hind leg as though it were giving the whole world the finger and began to wash the base of its tail.

‘Is it even an analogy, though?’ she mused. ‘Analogies are like metaphors, aren’t they? And it’s not really a metaphor, it’s a – what is it, cat?’ She paused, blinked. ‘It’s not very hygienic to lick oneself down there, you know. There’s a reason that soap was invented. Or was it invented? Maybe it was discovered. Siarl.’ She looked up at the footman holding her lead. ‘Was soap invented or discovered?’

‘Invented.’

She sighed. ‘It’s more exciting if things are discovered, don’t you think?’

‘Then you could say that the recipe for soap was discovered,’ Siarl suggested.

She brightened. ‘Yes, I could, couldn’t I?’

The cat finished its ablutions, jumped down from the wall and ran across the road. The Raven watched it go and sighed. Tugging a little on her lead, she looked back at the house. ‘When’s Mistress going to be ready?’

‘All in good time,’ Siarl said stoically.

The Raven bounced up and down on the spot, her long black poncho flying up around her spindly legs. ‘I wanna go now!’

‘Stand still.’ Siarl jerked her lead and pulled her to his side. ‘Heel.’

Sighing, she stood still, her feet turned out and her nose in the air. Her eyes were closed against the afternoon sunlight, and she could feel the heat pressing on her face like a heavy cloth. She opened her mouth a little and breathed out, thinking that, if it really were a cloth, she should be able to see it move. She saw the dust rise from the street, and wondered smugly if she had caused it. The tale of Raven Thunder Breath who could send strong men into orbit through the power of exhalation…

‘Exhalation,’ she murmured, feeling the sunlight spread over her forehead. ‘Exultation. Exhalation.’

Mistress came tripping out of the front door. ‘Come, Raven!’ she said brightly. She took the lead in one hand and, holding her head high, she went down the path and onto the street. Siarl followed a respectable four paces behind, sweating in his dark livery.

Mistress walked briskly along the Halbrund, the few decorative trees throwing mottled shadows onto her pale bonnet and white cotton dress. By the time they reached Cendrick Bridge, her pace had slowed to a docile walk, and when they reached the High Street, she stood still a moment in the cool shadow of St John the Eagle’s Church and fanned herself. ‘Oh, it’s hot!’ she exclaimed.

‘That happens to be the nature of summer days,’ the Raven said, pushing a lock of her lank dark hair out of her eyes. ‘Spare a thought for those in your retinue, Mistress. Your loyal footman, your devoted pet hybrid.’

Mistress smiled and patted the Raven’s head. ‘Good girl, Raven. Good hybrid. We'll be finished soon.’ She took a deep breath.

‘Should I buy you a drink of water, miss?’ Siarl asked.

‘No, no, it’s all right. Maybe later.’ Mistress straightened her bonnet and sallied forth into the High Street. The market had lost its earlier hum and bustle; it still buzzed, but quietly – the snores of a dozing bumblebee rather than the purr of a working one. Stalls stretched out like a fleet ready in a harbour; topped with dull canvas, manned by country couples armed with vegetables and chickens, young women with ribbons and dyed cloth, men with fish and fruit. Scattered in between the stalls were children with trays of bootlaces, a blind man with a box of mousetraps, an old woman with a basket of old apples, a pock-scarred beggar huddling in the gutter, holding out a hand, his mumbles for ‘a little something, a little money for poor old Lisha’ almost drowned by the shouts and patter of everyone else filling the High Street.

The Raven trotted at Mistress’ side, her ears filled with the sounds of the market, her head with her own thoughts. This is the tale of Raven-the-spriggan, the toast of the Hollow Hills and the boast of Manchester, who walked the tightropes and stalked the playwrights of the world, for all the world’s a stage, boys and girls, and we mewl and puke our way through the chrysalides and caterpillars until we emerge at Tiffany’s, sans everything but regrets.

‘Afternoon, Miss Lily,’ called the old apple woman, and the children rushed up to Mistress with their trays held out, chirping like an echo of sparrows, ‘Afternoon, Miss Lily!’

Mistress smiled and held a pale blue ribbon against her golden ringlets. ‘Good afternoon, children.’

The children nudged each other and giggled nervously.

And Raven-the-spriggan had a Mistress who was loved by everyone she met, because Mistress was the daughter of Roscoe Corbin, the editor of the Camulus Bill, and the daughter of the editor of the Camulus Bill was one of the most important women in the country. And Mistress loved everyone in return, because she was rich and beautiful and famous and she could afford to be. But most of all, she loved her pet hybrid, the hybrid she called the Raven and took everywhere with her. And one day, Mistress said to the Raven, ‘Raven, you may go free; you don’t have to be my pet any longer.’ And the Raven said, ‘But Mistress, where would I go?’ So the Raven stayed with Mistress, and Mistress made the Raven into the Queen’s Personal Ninja, and they all lived happily ever after. Apart from Sine, Mistress’ younger cousin, who was ugly and hated and not famous at all.

‘Two a penny, Miss Lily! Only a penny and they’re beautiful smooth ribbons, ain’t they?’

‘Very pretty.’ Mistress smiled and reached for her purse. She pulled out a penny and deposited it into the small, grimy hand eagerly thrust under her nose. ‘Blue, I think. And… red. Yes. Thank you very much, children. Good afternoon.’

‘Good afternoon, Miss Lily!’

‘They’re so sweet, aren’t they?’ Mistress said to no one in particular, moving on.

‘Sweet as sugar, Mistress,’ the Raven said. ‘Sugar, sugar, sugar pie. Sugar baby love…’

‘Look, Raven.’ Mistress dangled the red ribbon like a bright shiny worm. ‘Ribbon!’

‘Ribbon,’ the Raven agreed, taking it. ‘Pretty ribbon. Thank you, Mistress.’

‘Good Raven,’ Mistress murmured. She stopped at a cloth stall and turned over a fold of pink muslin.

‘Good afternoon, Miss Lily,’ the stallholder said, pulling at his cap.

And Mistress was loved by everyone she met, because she was rich and beautiful and kind and good. But she loved the Raven best of all.

Mistress stroked the pale cloth thoughtfully. The Raven rested her hands on the edge of the stall and looked at the bolts of material laid out, thinking that they looked like slabs cut out of a rainbow. She laid her new ribbon against a folded square of black lace; the red shining like polished holly berries on the dark.

Mistress nodded and looked up. ‘How much is this–’

A cold breeze lifted the hair on the back of the Raven’s neck. She shuddered, heard Siarl’s grunt and Mistress’ shocked half-scream. Siarl sank to his knees, his hands vainly trying to hold his throat together, and the Raven stared at the blood streaming from between his fingers. Then she looked, wide-eyed, at the stallholder who was holding a bloody knife to Mistress’ throat.

‘Keep still,’ the man breathed. ‘Don’t scream. Don’t.’

‘I–I’ve got money,’ Mistress gasped. ‘Money… My father–’

‘I know who your father is and if you want to see him again you’ll do exactly as I tell you. Understand?’

Mistress’ eyes glistened, and she gave a tiny nod. The Raven could see that she was chewing on her lower lip, and said, ‘Don’t bite your mouth, Mistress. You’ll ruin your lips.’

Mistress sniffed, and gasped as the man moved the knife. Siarl’s blood smeared on her pale throat.

‘Be quiet,’ he murmured. ‘Be very quiet, and keep your servant quiet.’ He pushed Mistress forward, keeping the knife against her neck.

‘Servant’s dead,’ the Raven said, feeling vaguely sorry. The man dragged on her lead, pulled her to his side.

‘Do you want to be next?’

‘She–she didn’t mean it,’ Mistress whispered. ‘She’s not a servant, she’s a hybrid, she doesn’t understand, she’s–she’s not–’

‘A hybrid? But–never mind, just move.’ He gave Mistress a shove out of the shadow of the stall. She stumbled, threw a helpless glance around the still quietly humming marketplace, waiting for someone to notice that a rogue stallholder was kidnapping the daughter of the editor of the Camulus Bill.

Wasn’t that rather odd? the Raven thought, as they were herded out of the market place and into square before St John the Eagle’s. Men with knives were something to remark upon, weren’t they? She thought about asking Mistress before she remembered that the man with the knife didn’t want them to talk.

----

Comments on everything, but mostly about the characters and especially whether this makes you want to read any more. Anything you recognise isn't my own, btw.
Last edited by Twit on Mon Jun 22, 2009 8:44 pm, edited 3 times in total.
"TV makes sense. It has logic, structure, rules, and likeable leading men. In life, we have this."

#TNT

95 Reviews

Reviews: 95
Thu Jun 04, 2009 6:51 pm
ZaddieCaso says...

Hi, just giving you a quick review

‘This is the tale of the mysterious and immortal freedom fighter ninja comma known only by the name whispered on bated breath during games of Chinese Whispers with Auld Lang Syne comma played by a blind ocarina player underneath the table. The tale that curves, long and sinuous, in and out of time and history, wrapped around the ankles of the universe and tickling its toes so that the universe shakes and trembles in amusement.

It took me a while to realise the style you were aiming for, at first I just thought it was badly written but then by your second paragraph I found myself laughing, and marvelling at your conetation.

This is the tail of the Raven. However, being a bird, she doesn’t have a very long tail. In fact…’ The Raven looked over her shoulder, squinting down her nose. ‘Being a hybrid, she doesn’t actually have any tail at all. So the analogy kind of falls down flat, doesn’t it?’

Great, a little confusing, maybe make it a little bit simplier although I appreciate that the confusion is part of this story. I have to say without doubt that this story is already all over the place... but I can't help but love it.

The cat licked a paw and rubbed behind its ears, then stuck out a hind leg as though it were giving the whole world the finger and began to wash the base of its tail.

The base? I don't think that's the right word. Maybe backside, as you don't seem to have problem with using blatant lauguage here :)

I haven't reviewed all of this as the rest was a little to tricky for me to approach, I think I am a little out of the depth here.

*gulp"

izzy
Everything has been figured out, except how to live.

Jean-Paul Sartre

1220 Reviews

Reviews: 1220
Fri Jun 05, 2009 2:45 pm
Kale says...

This is the tale of the mysterious and immortal freedom fighter ninja known only by the name whispered on bated breath during games of Chinese Whispers with Auld Lang Syne played by a blind ocarina player underneath the table.

Very long, twisty sentence that made my eyes go @_@

After reading through the rest of the story, though, it makes more sense and I've grown to like it. It's still a pretty scary first sentence, though. Maybe you could try breaking it up/rephrasing it? Something like: "This is the tale of a mysterious and immortal freedom fighter ninja. She is known only by the name whispered on bated breath during games of Chinese Whispers while a blind ocarina player plays Auld Lang Syne from beneath the table." It's a bit easier to digest this way on first read through.

Other than that, I really don't have much to point out. I adore the Raven. She's such a fun character, and how she introduces her Mistress really reveals a lot about the Raven's character. I'm not quite sure what a hybrid is, but it did not bother me so much because the Raven's antics seem to be typical of hybrids, and I suspect we'll be learning more about hybrids as the story progresses.

I totally did not see that cloth vendor coming. I was expecting an amusing but otherwise ordinary account of a trip to market, then BAM! Wonderful. X3 And it makes me really want to read the next chapter.

Please PM me when the next chapter is up. :D
Secretly a Kyllorac, sometimes a Murtle.
There are no chickens in Hyrule.
Princessence: A LMS Project
WRFF | KotGR

241 Reviews

Reviews: 241
Fri Jun 05, 2009 4:38 pm
lyrical_sunshine says...

The first sentence was long and kind of a run-on - if you could split that into two sentences, it would be better.

Okay, now onto my real reviews. :)

Characters: I'm really confused about Raven. She's so intelligent and charming, but at the same time she seems markedly different when she tries to communicate with others. The Mistress treats her like an animal, even though she is obviously very smart and verbose. What's strange is that Raven didn't seem to CARE that Mistress treated her like this. I'd like to see that explored a little bit. Has she just been treated like an animal for so long that she's starting to feel like one? And why didn't she seem to care that much when her Mistress was being kidnapped?

I'm sure there's reasoning behind all of this, but right now we can't connect with the characters because we don't know that reasoning. If I were you I'd try to slip some of that into the story, just so we know a little bit about them. :)
“We’re still here,” he says, his voice cold, his hands shaking. “We know how to be invisible, how to play dead. But at the end of the day, we are still here.” ~Dax

Teacher: "What do we do with adjectives in Spanish?"
S: "We eat them!"

1272 Reviews

Reviews: 1272
Wed Jun 10, 2009 1:00 am
Rosendorn says...

Hi Twit, here as requested! Sorry for being a bit late.

‘This is the tale of the mysterious and immortal freedom fighter ninja known only by the name whispered on bated breath during games of Chinese Whispers with Auld Lang Syne played by a blind ocarina player underneath the table.

As everybody else said before me, this first sentence is really hard to get past. I found myself hesitant to review things after I read the first sentence here. I'm glad I got over it, but that's a problem you should fix.

This is the tail of the Raven

Right before, you called it a "tale." Is this intentional?

Siarl.’ She looked up at the footman holding her lead. ‘Was soap invented or discovered?’

It took me a couple of reads to figure this out. Could be that I was slightly lazy while reading (:P), but I found it a bit confusing that she's just throw a random name on the end of her dialogue. Once I realized she was talking to somebody with that name I was fine, though.

Mistress came tripping out of the front door, her lacy white parasol resting on her shoulder. ‘Come, Raven!’ she said brightly. She took the lead in one hand and holding up the hem of her white cotton dress with the other,

In my opinion, even is a parasol is resting on your shoulder you still need to hold it. So, with all she's doing with her hands, she has three of them. Might want to clear up how that parasol is staying up without her holding on to it.

Mistress smiled and patted the Raven’s head. ‘Good girl, Raven. Good hybrid.’

~ I don't quite get this line. If the Raven just asked for Mistress to think of those around her, all the Raven gets is a pat on the head?

~ What did Mistress drop to pat the Raven on her head?

She took a deep breath.

It's unclear who "she" is in this sentence.

Mistress straightened her bonnet and sallied forth into the High Street.

Again, just how much is she doing with her hands?

‘a little something, a little money for poor old ’Lisha’

I'd drop the ' in front of "Lisha." It makes it a bit unclear where the dialogue stops. ^_^

She laid her new ribbon against a folded square of black lace; the red shining like polished holly berries on the dark.

I love that it's a red ribbon, with the black. Foreshadowing the blood and the darkness Mistress is about to be put through.

A cold breeze lifted the hair on the back of the Raven’s neck, and she suddenly shivered, heard Siarl’s grunt and Mistress’ shocked half-scream.

This is a key turning point in the scene, but because it's buried in such a long list it's a bit hard to get the full punch.

He pushed Mistress in front of him, keeping the knife against her neck.

I imagined him behind her in the first place. Since Siarl was behind her, and the logical path would be standing behind her to put the knife to her throat.

sticking closer to Mistress’ heel than she had ever done before as they were herded out of the market place and into square before St John the Eagle’s.

A rather long sentence here. I'd break it up.

Characters: Since you always request this, here I go!

The Raven, she's sweet. I'm used to her from past works of yours (I was happy to see that you're using her again!) and I found her weirdness nicely explained. You did an amazing job of dropping all the background info in the Raven's stories and not making it look info-dumpy.

One thing that slightly confused me was how the Raven stands. The mention of "pet" makes me think she walks on four legs, but other mentions seem to counter that. I'd clear that up in future drafts.

Wording: Some of the sentences I found a bit long-winded. Especially around important bits of information. Don't bury important information in longer sentences. Keep is as short as the Raven's nature allows. (I am aware her descriptions tend to be long. Just try not to make long action lists for more punch.)

Overall: I really liked this. It took a read or two, but I really liked this. I like the formal tone and how silly and scatterbrained the Raven is. And the plot is going nice and quickly. An improvement over Scavenger, for sure!

Questions? PM me.

~Rosey
A writer is a world trapped in a person— Victor Hugo

Ink is blood. Paper is bandages. The wounded press books to their heart to know they're not alone.

28 Reviews

Reviews: 28
Wed Jun 10, 2009 9:33 pm
82manycookies says...

it was really good, except you were missing some commas and sometimes the dialogue got a little too FANCY PANTS. FWI, if your audience is teens, add a little tood to miss beautiful. i love the bird...that part is awesome. As for your characters in general, i wasn't as attached as i was to the bird. your Mistress seems unreal to me. and the whole children giggling was good and the nice little hobo was nice and then BAM!! her servent dies and all of a sudden they are being taken away. add a little more detial.
Thank you vury much!
~Livi J.
P.S: the concept was very nice...original...keep writing...did i mention i mention it was nice...good work...did i mention that mentioned that it was nice? :shock:
"My Mama used to tell me, 'lifes like a box of chocolates... you never know what your gonna get.'" -Forrest Gump

571 Reviews

Reviews: 571
Fri Jun 12, 2009 7:09 pm
Esmé says...

Hello!

That first paragraph – I was taken back by it, a bit, and then had to reread to finally see the tale/tail thing. That last was inattentiveness on my part, though feelings toward that first part remain. On the other hand, when you read on, it’s a wonderful first paragraph that I really wouldn’t like to see altered.

Moving on, from a slightly different angle: the Raven does an awful lot of sighing. Intentional? I still don’t like the repetition. Of those, another one would be the semicolons in the “Oh no, maybe later” paragraph. One each in two respective sentences. And to the last thing I also didn’t like (or first, depending on how you look at it) - the cat and finger part. It’s not that - oh, I don't know, kind of original, I guess. Somehow. But when placed in the background of the whole story, it looks out of place.

Last paragraph: I think that perhaps Lily’s and the Raven’s thoughts should be separated.

-

So basically a hybrid is more or less a human being with a little kid’s mentality, treated like a beloved pet animal. That’s what I gathered from the wonderful characterization, and like Kyllorac, I adore her. Her thoughts are terrific, as her replies to Mistress – and dialogue in general. Wonderful character.

Mistress. Her – like Siarl – I like, too. We thought (well, her thinking, me reading) the same thing: why did no one notice her being abducted? In mind’s eye I saw a bustling street, and if not that then some people had to be around, surely. “She stopped at a cloth stall” suggests other stalls, other people, other shoppers, passersby. We thought the exact same thing and I’m still thinking it.

Will get to part 2 soon,
Esme

675 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 675
Mon Jun 15, 2009 5:26 pm
lilymoore says...

First off, Wooster, your avatar is a major distraction, have I ever mentioned it. You can just get so distracted staring at those shifting faces.

Second, well, I’m sorry it took me as long as it did to get here with a review. I thought I had set my Will Review for Food thread to email me when I get a reply but I was mistaken.

By the looks of things, Rosey did the nitpicking so I’ll just focus on the main points.

Dialogue
The ways you’re characters speak, and in general, the way you write reminds me a lot of Christopher Moore. There is a sense of wit and humor in even the most serious moments, which is good. It gives the story a very interesting twist.

Plot
This is another thing I have no qualms with. The major points of the story are worked out well and it flows in sequence. Not only that, but there don’t seem to be any gaps in the story.

Characters
Now here I have a few issues and that has to do with the Raven. What in the world is he besides, well, a hybrid. At some points, he sounds like a cat and at other times, he seems like a child. I’m not sure what to think that he is.

The Mistress and Siarl both have good character set up, though there isn’t much to say about Siarl as you killed her off pretty fast. However, the actions and dialogue that you give us from the Mistress make her seem like a very genuine and good hearted individual, someone who we can sympathize with if she gets offed too.

Style
There is a little confusion throughout in the way that you wrote the story as well as some sentences that were a bit too long and very strung out but the above comments so I won’t get too into this. Remember that short sentences have a stronger impact.

And of course the cookie I promised. *hands Wooster a platter of sugar cookies* Take your pick. ^^

~lilymoore
Never forget who you are, for surely the world will not. Make it your strength. Then it can never be your weakness. Armor yourself in it, and it will never be used to hurt you.

1162 Reviews

Reviews: 1162
Wed Jun 24, 2009 9:59 pm
Carlito says...

TL G-Wooster wrote:‘This is the tale of the famed, mysterious and immortal freedom fighter-ninja.

I liked this opening line. Generally I hate when things start with dialogue but this was actually good and captivating. :)

TL G-Wooster wrote:‘Stand still.’ Siarl jerked her lead and pulled her to his side. ‘Heel.’

I'm so confused. Is the Raven talking about herself? Why would one walk a Raven and tell it to heel? Or is the narrator another animal simply called Raven, who is talking about a Raven?

TL G-Wooster wrote:‘That happens to be the nature of summer days,’ the Raven said, pushing a lock of her lank dark hair out of her eyes. ‘Spare a thought for those in your retinue, Mistress. Your loyal footman, your devoted pet hybrid.’

Now I'm more confused. So Raven is a pet-hybrid. Does that mean she's an animal mixed with a human or something? How did she push hair out of her eyes?

TL G-Wooster wrote:Mistress sniffed, and gasped as the man moved the knife. Siarl’s blood smeared on her pale throat.

This confused me too. Did he cut her or did he pull the knife away? How did Siarl's blood get on her?

A you probably noticed, a lot of this confused me. :)
Characters:
I'm not really sure who all the characters are and what their contribution to the story is. I'm extremely confused about the Raven. I thought she was an actual Raven for a while, (cause of the cat. It wasn't named so I thought the story would just be animals that were called what the animal is) until the hybrid/walking on a leash/brushing hair from eyes starting coming in and now I don't know how to picture her at all.

Plot:
I think I got the gist of the plot. :) That enough would probably keep me reading if this was a book. It's really intriguing and I want to know what is going to happen next.

Overall:
I like how this is written. I really like your voice and style of writing. :D

-Carly
It does not do to dwell on dreams and forget to live.

Ask a Therapist!
I want to beta read your novel!

Ask me anything. Talk to me about anything. Seriously. My PM box is always open <3

54 Reviews

Reviews: 54
Mon Jun 29, 2009 2:53 am
WhiteTiger93 says...

Here, as requested. Sorry it took me forever to get here. I was grounded. ):

Anyway, everyone' got most everything so I'll just do a quick little review.

One, I loved your description and imagery! Sometimes you over used it and it got a little confusing, but really, it was fine. (:

Two, You kind of droned on at some parts. I would read through it and the parts wouldn't really feel like they needed to be there. It just seemed like you didn't need them. For example:

There’s a reason that soap was invented. Or was it invented? Maybe it was discovered. Siarl.’ She looked up at the footman holding her lead. ‘Was soap invented or discovered?’

‘Invented.’

She sighed. ‘It’s more exciting if things are discovered, don’t you think?’

‘Then you could say that the recipe for soap was discovered,’ Siarl suggested.

She brightened. ‘Yes, I could, couldn’t I?’

I know that this is probably just us getting to know the character, but it was completely random (the soap part (; ) and threw me off.

Overall: I enjoyed this. (: It was interesting to read and I'm looking foward to read more. (:
Hermione, shut your ungodly, lopsided mouth and quit interrupting! 20 points from Gryffindor. You know, for the brightest witch of your age you can sure be a dumba** sometimes. *smiles* 10 points to Dumbledore!

~A Very Potter Musical - Dumbledore

We are the music makers, and we are the dreamers of dreams.
— Arthur O'Shaughnessy