z

Young Writers Society

Your Doppelgänger and You

143 Reviews

Reviews: 143
Tue Apr 28, 2009 8:34 pm
anti-pop says...

A/N: An odd little thing for BigBadBear's "What is Evil and Good?" Contest.

Introduction

So, you have a doppelgänger.

You are it, and it is you. So logically, it’s safe to assume that it has you in turn. Whilst this may sound a bit odd, it is perfectly normal, I assure you. You are most certainly not the only person with a doppelgänger, so don’t feel shy or embarrassed. It is a completely normal exchange between two different parts of your soul; there are a great many people who go through this experience as well.

While it may sound confusing and slightly alarming at first, I guarantee you that it is perfectly safe. There have been very few reports of doppelgänger-related deaths (to the owner, anyways). That is to say, more than likely those that did suffer self-inflicted injuries or death did not abide by the proper doppelgänger ownership rules. For your safety and your doppelgänger’s, we advise you to follow these important rules, tips, and suggestions we have to offer.

1. How did I get my doppelgänger?

Alright, so by now you’re probably wondering what exactly your doppelgänger is. In other words, as stated before, your doppelgänger is you, and you are it. Many human beings have a doppelgänger; in fact, it is fairly uncommon to find someone who does not have one. A doppelgänger is “born” alongside its human companion, or match, so to speak. It is the other half of your spiritual soul, yet is a completely different entity.

Simply put, it is the darkness within you that has grown strong enough to manifest itself into its most familiar subject – you. Everyone is born with this darkness in their souls – it is extremely rare (though it has happened) to find someone who does not have the darkness in them. Some people can manage the darkness within them, and some can even manage to just barely snub it out completely.

Then there’s you.

You were born with darkness in your soul, and because you have not yet managed to control it, it has grown into a living being that is now bound to you forever. Congratulations! Now, before we really begin this insightful trek into self-awareness, let’s get to know a little bit more about your doppelgänger.

2. What does my doppelgänger look like?

Your doppelgänger is exactly like you in every way, shape, and form. Other than the fact that it is the evil in you manifested, you would never know the difference! Doppelgängers are terribly shy, and do not often enjoy separating from their host (you) for very long periods of time. There is the rare occasion that doppelgängers and their hosts switch roles completely, and the doppelgänger becomes the dominant being.

Regardless, doppelgängers can only be seen when they separate from their host. That is, on the instance where they need to exercise (please see following F.A.Q., “What does my doppelgänger do?”). When they are detached from you, other human beings can see them as well as you – however, because your doppelgänger wants to get its work out over with, it is often gone in the blink of an eye. Very few doppelgänger owners have reported as “glimpsing their own dark shadow”.

3. What does my doppelgänger do?

Your doppelgänger doesn’t do much physical-wise, so that’s already a bonus in itself. Still, just like most other beings, it needs its exercise every once in a while. This can be accomplished through walks.

No, this is not an average stroll through the park. When walking your doppelgänger, you are allowing them to physically separate from you so that they may go out and interact with the world around them. Keep in mind: doppelgängers are dark beings, and their idea of “fun” is fairly different from most humans! Their activities will most likely end in police, court dates, and jail time (for you, anyway). But because of their innate longing to return to their host, their escapades normally don't last longer than twelve to twenty-four hours.

While your doppelgänger is away, you remain in a safe, secluded state of euphoria, so don’t worry about the other half of your soul missing.

Most doppelgängers are a bit on the inactive side, so you should only look forward to about one walk a month. However, just like humans, doppelgänger’s physical status’ can range from inactive to very active, and some may need to be walked once every few days.

4. What kind of relationship should I have with my doppelgänger?

Your relationship with your doppelgänger should be a fairly positive experience.

However, many people abuse their doppelgängers. They use them as a scapegoat for punishments, which is not tolerable in the least. Sure, it was the doppelgänger who did it in the first place, but regardless, you are it and it is you. You accept the punishments, while your other self is deserving of them. A simple concept, really, though not many seem to understand.

Also, contact is not a necessary element when communicating with your doppelgänger. Communication via regular feeding and exercise will suffice for the both of you.

5. How do I take care of my doppelgänger?

The method of feeding a doppelgänger is a fairly easy task, and does not take much work on either of your parts.

It’s a sort of unspoken agreement between the two of you. To survive, one must latch onto the other, and without that bond you both will die. This bond is held together by the need to feed. As a human, you feed off of pain and misery. The suffering of others is your natural fuel, and without it you cease to exist. No, this doesn’t mean you’re a bad person – not in the least. It is simply human nature (for many humans, at least). Please keep that in mind as we continue.

Your doppelgänger feeds on everything you don’t – i.e. love, happiness and other positive emotions.
Think of the exchange process as photosynthesis. When you soak up the negative emotions and energy around you, you expel the converted energy – in your case, positive emotions – for your doppelgänger to absorb. In turn, it will do the exact opposite – release converted positive energy into misery and woe, therefore allowing you to feed and thus continuing the cycle.

One thing you must remember regarding this exchange is that your doppelgänger is dependent on you and you alone. It cannot draw in the proper emotions needed for its survival from other human souls. Saying that, it is still impossible for you to try and rid yourself of your doppelgänger.

If, for any reason, you wish to remove your doppelgänger by denying it the proper nutrition (for instance, you remain in a peaceful environment away from the necessary misery) your doppelgänger will die. However, your doppelgänger’s soul (having fused with your own) will drag you to Hell along with it. So be wary! Always be sure to stay in a properly depressing atmosphere; for your sake and your doppelgänger’s!

6. So I have a doppelgänger – what do I do now?

Go out and see the world anew with your lifetime companion! Your doppelgänger and you will have a long, healthy life if you remember this guide – and as long as your doppelgänger doesn’t land you in jail.
Last edited by anti-pop on Tue Apr 28, 2009 9:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

1464 Reviews

Reviews: 1464
Tue Apr 28, 2009 9:13 pm
Juniper says...

Aunty Poppity! June here!

Okay, when I clicked this piece, I honestly truly was not expecting much of it. I'm pretty much surprised; this is wonderful and amusing, dear. Now, let's review. Or Nitpick :lol:. Whatever you want to call this.

Simply put, it is the darkness within you that has grown strong enough to manifest itself into its most familiar subject – you.

Simply put was used in the paragraph above and the repetition is being all irkish right now to me. :P Perhaps you can use something like, "simplistically" or some other term that doesn't exactly read as "simply put." ;)

Their activities will most likely end in police, court dates, and jail time (for you, anyways).

anyways! Should that have an S on the end? I'm not sure, but just wanted to point it out. ;)

(Okay, that's all the nitpicks :P)

So!

I absolutely loved this. The informative, amusing tone of this was just wonderful, dear, (but seriously, do I have a doppelgänger? :-/) and it's very creative.

I really don't have much to say, other than this was very well written, very enjoyable, and very amusing. Well done, Pop. Goodluck in that contest! ;)

Juniper

*gold star*
"I'd steal somebody's purse if I could google it and then download it." -- Firestarter

143 Reviews

Tue Apr 28, 2009 9:26 pm
anti-pop says...

Thanks for the review, Juniper! :D

And no - you're like, the last person on Earth who'd have a doppelgänger. XD
...Bitter cold, it grows
changing holds
cynicism the new norm...

-Libretto

273 Reviews

Reviews: 273
Tue Apr 28, 2009 10:28 pm
Explosive_Pen says...

Oh gosh, pop. xD

June stole my thunder and got all the necessary nitpicks. :( The only thing that sort of kind of not really but almost bugs me is that you use the word doppelganger every two sentences. This is unnecessary, dear! We already know that the doppelganger is your subject; therefore, you can avoid finger cramps and carpal tunnel by simply refering to it as "it".

I love how you wrote this in a detatched and amused manner. I mean:

You were born with darkness in your soul, and because you have not yet managed to control it, it has grown into a living being that is now bound to you forever. Congratulations!

Because having a dark creepy creature following us around for all of eternity is totally something everyone should be happy about. xD

Oh, and also (not really a nitpick, more of a confusion), since the doppelganger is the darkness within you, shouldn't it feed off of negative emotions whilst you feed off of the positive ones, instead of vise versa? That seems a bit odd to me...

Now then... Where'd my little fellow of darkness run off to? :wink:
"You can love someone so much...But you can never love people as much as you can miss them."

143 Reviews

Tue Apr 28, 2009 10:38 pm
anti-pop says...

Hey, Pen! Thanks for the review!

Yeah, I think I just enjoyed using that word waaay too much.
Thanks for pointing that out - I didn't realize it was that bad. XD

Oh, and also (not really a nitpick, more of a confusion), since the doppelganger is the darkness within you, shouldn't it feed off of negative emotions whilst you feed off of the positive ones, instead of vise versa? That seems a bit odd to me...

That's what I was planning to do initially, but I thought it would make more sense if the bad part of your soul produces bad vibes and the good part produces good vibes.
But that's just my unbalanced train of thought. XD
...Bitter cold, it grows
changing holds
cynicism the new norm...

-Libretto

202 Reviews

Reviews: 202
Wed Apr 29, 2009 12:14 am
Octave says...

This. Is. Awesome.

So cool!

You make dopplegangers sound like a perfectly harmless pet. XD And you make it sound as if it's not a bad thing to have someone who looks like you running around and having their brand of evil fun.

And the ending is funny. This is amazing. Good work.

I'll give it a 10/10.
"The moral of this story, is that if I cause a stranger to choke to death for my amusement, what do you think I’ll do to you if you don’t tell me who ordered you to kill Colosimo?“

-Boardwalk Empire

Love, get out of my way.

Dulcinea: 2,500/50,000

17 Reviews

Reviews: 17
Thu Apr 30, 2009 10:14 pm
Black Night Werecat says...

Just wondering, anti-pop, but how did you get those two little dots above the "a" in doppleganger? I've never been able to figure out how people do that! D:
"I was five when a demon stole my mother's face." - Percy Jackson fanfiction

I constantly labor under the belief that the world around me makes sense. And when it doesn't, magic.

1464 Reviews

Reviews: 1464
Thu Apr 30, 2009 10:18 pm
Juniper says...

Black Night Werecat, to get the a with the umlaut above it (ä), hold down the ALT button on your keyboard, and press 0228 on the number pad. If you're on a laptop, you may have to hold down the FN key in order to use the numpad, dear. ^^
"I'd steal somebody's purse if I could google it and then download it." -- Firestarter

1272 Reviews

Reviews: 1272
Fri May 01, 2009 10:36 pm
Rosendorn says...

Hiya Pop! Lets see what I can do here...

There have been very few reports of doppelgänger-related deaths (to the owner, anyways). That is to say, more than likely those that did suffer self-inflicted injuries or death did not abide by the proper doppelgänger ownership rules.

"To the owner, anyways" confused me here. In fact, I was confused right up until "doppelgänger ownership rules." It seems you're saying that owners rarely die in doppelgänger-related incidents while others might. I think it was the "that is to say" that really confused me. It ties together two ideas that seem to be rather detached at the moment. I think so, anyways. ^_^

It is the other half of your spiritual soul,

I consider souls to be "spiritual" already.

it is extremely rare (though it has happened)

Examples of where it's happened please. ^_^

some can even manage to just barely snub it out completely.

"Just barely snub it out completely" confuses me. It seems to be saying that some people manage to almost ignore the doppelganger twice.

There is the rare occasion that doppelgängers and their hosts switch roles completely, and the doppelgänger becomes the dominant being.

Examples please. ^_^

Very few doppelgänger owners have reported as “glimpsing their own dark shadow”.

I'd nix this "as." It makes the sentence a bit awkward.

*Isn't going to quote the whole feeding section because it would be too long*

I agree with the others. That seems a bit reversed.

~

Tone: Hmm, I'd like to see this tone more over-the-top. It's pretty good now, but I feel that some lines could have extra bits in them to make it totally wacky and a bit unbelievable. Stuff like the examples could give us major clues this is a wacky guide. :P

Examples: When you say that some people haven't got a doppelgänger, that sometimes the doppelgänger becomes dominant or there are those select few who have different results, I'd love to see examples! Those would have me loling so hard. Maybe an appendix of all the side effects, like at the end of drug ads. I just think that would be so funny.

Overall: This was a very interesting read poppity! And rather hard to critique, like most of your work. ^_^

Hmm, one thing that threw me was "Hell" right at the end. There wasn't much religious things throughout the work, and suddenly there's Hell, capitalized, jerking me, at least, out of any neutral tone. Because right now it feels rather neutral religion-wise.

Hope I helped!

~Rosey
A writer is a world trapped in a person— Victor Hugo

Ink is blood. Paper is bandages. The wounded press books to their heart to know they're not alone.

20 Reviews

Reviews: 20
Sat May 02, 2009 4:50 pm
cmarie159 says...

I really liked this concept, the whole thing about the bad being within us.

I found this rather witty, kind of reminding me a bit of clive barker.

now i'm assuming with the whole "you feed off misery",
you mean that the dopplegänger [0228 yay] feeds off your happiness,
so they both have to depend on each other.

I think this was really clever,
I really liked it :]

I would have loved to see more examples
of people's dopplegängers though.

I definitely love this though!
"although you were biased I love your advice; your comebacks they’re quick and probably have to do with your insecurities; there’s no shame in being crazy, depending on how you take these words that paraphrasing this relationship we’re staging"

107 Reviews

Reviews: 107
Tue May 19, 2009 12:53 am
fluteluvr77 says...

**giggles**
**loves**
**runs to find her doppelganger**
**comes back to star**
**hopes Poppity wins contest**
**feels bad for the extremely suck-ish review (more like post) thingie**
**worships Poppity for being able to write such hilarious stuff**
Love,
Flute Loops :wink:
Love is the answer to life yet the slowest form of suicide.
Love is a paradox.
And that's why we love it.

Got YWS?

17 Reviews

Reviews: 17
Fri Jun 05, 2009 11:03 pm
Black Night Werecat says...

springrain wrote:Black Night Werecat, to get the a with the umlaut above it (ä), hold down the ALT button on your keyboard, and press 0228 on the number pad. If you're on a laptop, you may have to hold down the FN key in order to use the numpad, dear. ^^

Gee, thanks SpringRain. I guess I should go try that out... Thanks again!

... ä ... SWEETNESS!!! (Don't worry, I'll try not to use caps too much... just when I'm being really, super, ultra emotional/hyper.) :roll: :wink:

-- WereCat
"I was five when a demon stole my mother's face." - Percy Jackson fanfiction

I constantly labor under the belief that the world around me makes sense. And when it doesn't, magic.

People say I love you all the time - when they say, ‘take an umbrella, it’s raining,’ or ‘hurry back,’ or even ‘watch out, you’ll break your neck.’ There are hundreds of ways of wording it - you just have to listen for it, my dear.
— John Patrick, The Curious Savage