z

Young Writers Society

'...and Her People' pt1

Reviews: 4
Sun Mar 01, 2009 10:52 pm
bio-mechanic says...

R for language, violence and idealogically sensitive stuff. Speaking of idealogical stuff, I'd better just reinforce this, because I've been called a fascist and Nazi at school for this story when I've shown it to other students and asked what they think: I don't share the views of Red and Sergei in this.
Also, the formatting has gone all funny. I have edited it.

Although it was June, it was overcast and quite gloomy, the sun only just peeking through the clouds. People wore jackets and coats and scarves, conscious of the chilly wind blowing from the east. Lower-class workers stumbled after their upper-class superiors, some of whom refused to let them wear anything other than baggy shirts, jeans and battered boots. They still diligently carried out all tasks given to them, their minds turned into soup by various cocktails of drugs, loyal to those beautiful, arrogant bastards.

Quite a few parents were taking their children home from the school for the holidays themselves, bringing workers along to fetch and carry heavy bags, who were either ignored or tripped up. As the oldest students were eighteen, some were driving themselves, or getting a lift from partners and friends, off to have a celebratory drink. Set close to the centre of town, quite a few people passed the school: business men and women in suits, Hunters with their shockpistols and knives, people out shopping, and workers delivering or fetching or carrying.

At long last, the final exams were over. The students had been pumped full of Neurospeed, their first introductory shots before they'd start the course of taking pills every morning and evening along with the sedatives. Students strode out of the academy, the eighteen-year-old seventh years keeping mainly to themselves, biting their lips, eyes flicking about. The first effects of the large dose of Neurospeed had begun to take effect, inducing paranoia. Although the sedative they were given after could combat anarchistic thoughts, not much could calm the fear that their fellow students were spies, the teachers had injected them with poison and that someone was out to Get them.

Preoccupied with various anxieties and worries, Red would've walked past Sergei - her boyfriend who had been a Hunter for nearly three years, now - if he hadn't stopped her. She tensed and staggered back before realizing who it was and relaxing a little; he’d been taking all sorts of pills since he graduated, ones that made you calmer. He’d know about it.
"What's the matter?" He asked, pulling her over so that others could get past.
She looked quickly around her, biting a nail.
"Can't say--they'll get me," she muttered.

Sergei sighed, noticing the little pinprick on the back of her hand.
“Oh, that. I remember that...I barricaded myself in my room and refused to come out for a few hours...things were pretty similar everywhere else, too. Thought they were waiting out there to kill me or something. It was nuts. Believe me, it'll wear off soon enough," he said.
“Why’re you here?” She suddenly asked, looking suspiciously at him.
"You’re coming over to my house, remember? You said we could go for a drink somewhere first and then go back to mine, so I came to meet you.”
These words seemed to do nothing for her, and she took a step back, looking warily at him through her dull green eyes.

"You can trust me. We've been seeing each other for six months now, and I can assure you that there's no-one less likely to kill you. I have something here to help you calm down a little, but you have to promise to take it and not just palm it," he said, taking a small bottle from his battered courier bag. Red caught a quick glimpse of a large book, another book of music for the piano, a box of pills, a handheld and a notepad; nothing particularly sinister.
"I'm guessing you were given some of this in the shot," he said as he shook a pill out, putting the cap back on. "They don't really give you enough, though, because they get scared that parents will get angry about you getting given 'too much' of it. It might make you a bit woozy or tired, but you'll be fine," he explained, giving her the pill.

A look of confusion crossed Red's face as she held the tablet with a pale hand trembling like a leaf in a breeze.
"Promise it won't hurt me," she whined, ready to pop it into her mouth and swallow it.
"You'll have to take it every day after they've given you the third shot, anyway. I promise that it'll be okay," he said, slightly annoyed at her mistrust for a second.

She closed her eyes tight and downed it, her fists clenched so much that her knuckles looked like they'd pop right out of her skin. For ten seconds she kept her eyes shut, her face drawn and pale looking. Slowly, she opened them both and blinked, squinting as the dull light of the sun stung her eyes. She let out a long sigh and smiled weakly, rubbing her forehead. Sergei placed his prescribed sedatives - the ones all Hunters were forced to take along with Neurospeed - in his bag and raised his eyebrows a little. It was hard to judge how he was feeling; Sergei had a long-lived habit of showing as little emotion as possible when in a ‘neutral’ mood, a long lived paranoia of his telling him they'd know what he'd do next.
"Feeling any better now? Less scared?" He asked her.
"Yes, I'm okay, I suppose...feel a little drowsy, though," she said, blinking slowly.

She looked different out of the school uniform she had to wear at the academy, less austere and serious, perhaps. She wasn't very tall, and sometimes got mistaken for a younger girl in the uniform, much to her annoyance. Although the other girls abstained from wearing too much blusher in case they'd look perpetually embarrassed, Red wore quite a bit of it, adding to her eerily doll-like appearance, something which made her firmly in the upper class. Her boyfriend had a similar strangely perfect quality about him, his body lean and svelte; his eyes a rather piercing blue, which was unnerving when he held eye contact with another for too long. He looked younger, his real age, out of his own Hunter uniform, something which pleased him, as he was often mistaken for his late father when in uniform, but was unmistakably himself, Sergei Kalle, without it.

"It was my last exam today, the ‘Dealing with workers’ one. I had to write a whole essay on why they’re treated as they are, and answer some questions about medicines and stuff. Still, I have to stay on until my results get through; I send off my referral and get an interview. I'm applying for your division, you know. Apparently it'd be the best nearby one for me...that, and I have you there," she said, clinging to his arm and appearing much more cheerful than before, if tired. The exam had been hard work—to inspire them into writing more, they’d been shown a quick film about some workers who were all about to be punished in some way. Red had felt sick when she saw a haggard man with a crooked nose and deep-set eyes who had apparently plotted to murder the people he worked for. She knew they’d all do that, given half a chance—ugly characters to match ugly faces. If only she could get her hands on them...

"Let’s get a drink, now," he said, starting to walk away from the school.
Nodding, Red strode along with him, almost walking into a delivery worker carrying a package. The girl had a bad case of acne and wild, frizzy hair; features that placed her in a low caste and at the mercy of those above her, such as Hunters, like Sergei. She accidentally slammed into Red, dropping her package.
Sergei instantly pulled Red closer to him and drew his shock pistol from where it was hidden around the side of his coat, setting it to ‘5’ and aiming carefully at the worker.

His amiable expression dissolved into a murderous glare.
“What are you doing?” He snarled. “You scumbag, you hurt her…you aren’t even worthy to fucking look at her, and you hurt her. You’ll be happy to know that I’m a Hunter, a Captain, and that this is my girlfriend and soon to be a fully-fledged Hunter as well. I could have you killed for this, you know. I could have you killed oh-so slowly and painfully for this,” he continued, his voice now a furious hiss.

The girl grabbed her parcel and cowered, terrified of this man with a gun and the shocked-looking lady he was holding close to himself.
“Pl-plea-please…sorry…sorry…I-I-I…it was an accident, sir. I di-didn’t mean to hurt her, sir! Please don’t hurt me!” She whimpered, beginning to weep uncontrollably, averting her teary gaze from the two, as she’d been told not to look at them.
Red felt a sneer creep onto her face, contorting her pretty features. This girl was positively pathetic; the cringing made her feel sick. How dare she walk right into her? That was wrong. Let them walk into people, and they’d soon be stabbing and shooting others.

A few people had stopped to watch, most calling names at the girl who had elbowed Red.
“Tried to assault a Hunter’s girl? Ooh, hell, you’re in for it!” Heckled another worker, this one of near decent appearance, middle class.
“Stupid bitch! Look where you’re going next time!” Called a classmate and friend of Red’s, a boy called Ulfgam.
“Give her hell, Captain!”
“Stomp her face into the ground!”
“Go on, ‘lecky her, sir!”

It carried on until the girl wobbled, howling and clutching her parcel.
“I’m sorry, ma’am! I’m suh-sorry, sir! I’ll do anything, but please don’t hurt me…” she begged, looking to various people in the crowd for mercy.
Sergei laughed scornfully. “Haven’t you heard the saying, ‘take an eye for an eye’? You hurt Red, and that means I hurt you. You did something bad, so I get to do something bad back. Get it?” He said, wanting nothing more than to make the girl writhe in pain. Setting 2…that’d do. Setting 2, what the teachers at Hunter academies used on you if you misbehaved badly. Setting 2, the one favored of torturers.

She nodded frantically.
“Yessir, I understand, but I’ll do anything! Please, please, I’m sorry I’m sorry I’m sorry I’m sorry,” she gabbled, shying away like a beaten dog.
“You pathetic little slut…look at you, begging for forgiveness from me. You honestly think that you'll get it?" He said, grinning maliciously. "Tell me who you're running an errand for. I think I'll take you to see them right away, and I swear I'll see you beaten within an inch of your life. Maybe it won't be as bad if you do exactly as I say."
Looking reproachfully at the crowd, the girl clung to her package as if it contained jewels and riches.
"I have to deliver this to Mister Vasir, sir. It's from his mo-mother, Miss Vasir. I d-don't know what's in the package pleasedon'thurtme," she said, tears still trickling down her cheeks.

"Right. Take me to her," he ordered, loosening his grip on both his gun and girlfriend. He looked to Red, who was scowling at the girl.
"Are you okay?" He asked.
"Yes...just a bit hurt from where she walked into me. I think it was on purpose. She argues back and tries to bargain more than the others do, so maybe she isn't getting enough Neurokill," she said, much to the approval of the crowd and the horror of the girl who burst into fresh tears her skin taking on a grey tinge.

"Hmm, I see. Give me your number, and I'll sort this out on a later date--I have better things to be doing than dealing with filth like you," he said, internally reprimanding himself for having to change his decision.
"11-23-7, sir," she said, hiccupping from all of her crying.
He took his handheld out of his bag and quickly made a note, before waving her away.
"But remember, 23, that I will be contacting someone about you. It's more than likely that you'll get dragged out of bed or out of your work to get disciplined. Now go away. Go on, bugger off."

The crowd dispersed after 23 had tried walking through them, getting shoved down to the floor and laughed loudly at.
She dragged herself up, and ploughed on, slumped like a wilting plant. A wilting weed, Red thought.
Sergei ignored her and carried on walking with Red, on the warpath, glaring behind his glasses.
"Are you sure that you're okay? Don't worry, I'll make sure that clumsy bitch is dealt with," he promised.
Last edited by bio-mechanic on Fri Mar 06, 2009 9:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

52 Reviews

Reviews: 52
Fri Mar 06, 2009 12:57 am
chipsandguacamollie says...

First off, since you seem relatively new, welcome to YWS! I really like this piece. I'm really into any sort of utopian/futuristic society stories, and this is fascinating. I think the only critique I have is more of a question. When you said "blusher" did you mean "blush"? I can't be sure. And are you writing a whole story on this? If so, I will definitely read it. Your characters are great, because they start out being developed into their normal personalities, then it is shown how their minds really work, being upper class. And the whole encounter with the delivery girl is a great way of showing how the society is. Fantastic job!
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like, and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

-Bilbo Baggins, The Fellowship of the Ring, J. R. R. Tolkien

402 Reviews

Reviews: 402
Fri Mar 06, 2009 7:50 pm
Clo says...

Hey Bio! Remember me from the Welcome forums? :lol: Now here I am to give you your first purple review (I think). Science fiction tends to not get as many reviews as other stories on here, so I'm here to try to amend that.
---

They still diligently carried out all tasks given to them; their minds turned into soup by various cocktails of drugs, loyal to those beautiful, arrogant bastards.

- Right at the beginning, you lay out the groundwork for a dystopic environment that will nab the attention of people who love those types of settings -- very nice. I'm wondering how the workers you mention in this paragraph, though, connect with the school setting you start developing in the next paragraph. Are these workers at the school, or did you change setting? A little more description is needed here to clear this up.
- Also, a wee grammar nitpick: the semi-colon is incorrect. It needs to be a comma. Litmus test it this way: can you replace it with an "and" or a period effectively? No... therefore, a semi-colon should not be there.

Preoccupied with glancing over her shoulder, Red would've walked past Sergei if he hadn't stopped her.

"Glancing over her shoulder" is a clunky phrase -- try to smooth out the sentence by replacing it with a smaller one, like "Preoccupied with her anxious thoughts", or however you wish to phrase it.

Ten seconds she kept her eyes shut, her face drawn and pale looking.

Add a "For" at the beginning of this sentence, to make it read less fragmented.

"Feeling any better now? Less scared?" He asked her.

He should be lowercase.

Nodding, Red strode along with him, almost walking into a worker carrying a package [s]she was most likely delivering[/s].

Most likely delivering... hehe, that sounds funny. Simplify this sentence by saying "walking into a delivery worker carrying a package". More clean cut that way.

The girl had a bad case of acne and wild, frizzy hair; features that placed her in a low caste and at the mercy of those above her, such as Hunters, like Sergei. She accidentally slammed into Red, dropping her package.
Sergei instantly pulled Red closer to him and drew his shock pistol from where it was hidden around the side of his coat, setting it to ‘KILL’ and aiming carefully at the worker.

His amiable expression dissolved into a look that could’ve killed.

- Ooh! People are in castes! Like in Brave New World! Me like! Me like!
- The repetition of the word "to kill" takes away from the power of the word and makes this segment read more sappily then it should. Repeating words like "kill", which are heavy and hold a lot of meaning, detracts from the word itself. Either change name of the setting on his gun, or use a synonym like "murdered" for the last line. I know it might be tricky to rephrase or find a substitutable word that fits, but repeating words like this is never good for the tone of a story.

“Pl-plea-please…sorry…sorry…I-I-I…it was an accident, sir. I di-didn’t mean to hurt her, sir! Please don’t hurt me!” She whimpered, beginning to weep uncontrollably, averting her teary gaze from the two, as she’d been told not to look at them.

Lowercase "she whimpered".

Sergei

When Sergei first appears at the start to help Red out with her paranoia, I found myself wondering where he gets his knowledge and authority from. He’s in the same setting as her, obviously a student of some sort, but his knowledge of the medication seems to greatly surpass hers. I found this strange as I read it, and I think it calls for some clarification during this interaction between the two characters, because I’m wondering HOW exactly he knows all this stuff. He’s obviously done it all before, but is he a year above her, and though we get the gist of this later with the “Hunter” title, I think during this interaction you need to add a sentence or two explaining how he was familiar with this and that he was a level ahead of her, as I was a little dubious of him until the word Hunter started being tossed around, and was even wondering what in the world he was doing around the drugged up students if he wasn’t one of them.

The lowly worker

I found this interaction here very, very interesting, and I’m loving the descriptions that almost are an allusion to the set up in Brave New World. However, I feel like in the beginning, we have a very loving relationship between Red and Sergei, and then out of nowhere suddenly they’re horrible, cruel bigots. There’s nothing wrong with the fact that they find themselves completely superior to other people – it’s what their raised to think, but you need to show this in your writing, that this is what they are made to think. Because right now the change in character is very abrupt, and very unexplained. You need to drop contextual clues as to why Red and Sergei feel that they have the right to reprimand this girl so much. And not in dialogue – your dialogue is already very full of superior claims – but perhaps shortly describe a program that they go through, or something they were told, or give some sort of justification for this quick swing in character from loving to profound hatred. It’s not bad characterization – it will make sense, once you give proper contextual justifications for it.

Despite the sudden lower caste hating attitude revealed by the main characters, I think the characterization is done very well, and I'm interested in both Red and Sergei. I think it's intriguing how they are seemingly in love and then go on to show such hatred - it makes them seem much more multi-faceted and complex than they originally come off as, and I'm curious as to where you go with it.

Your writing is very clear and organized for the most part, and I like the setting of the story. I hope my comments have helped, and feel free to PM me with questions you have about anything.

Oh, and PM me when you post the next part, because I'm interested in what happens. :)

~ Clo
How am I not myself?

Fri Mar 06, 2009 8:20 pm
bio-mechanic says...

Hehe, thank you for the comments and crits, both of you! I'm really glad you read it through and such!

When you said "blusher" did you mean "blush"?

I meant...I dunno if you call it something different, but it's the make-up you wear to give you a little colour in your cheeks. I've always called in blusher, but my friend calls it blush.
And are you writing a whole story on this? If so, I will definitely read it.

Yes. I'm currently on chapter four. And thank you! I'm glad that you will!
Your characters are great, because they start out being developed into their normal personalities, then it is shown how their minds really work, being upper class. And the whole encounter with the delivery girl is a great way of showing how the society is.

Thanks! I have to try hard with the characters, and to get a feel for writing in that way, I've had to read a lot of stories set where one/some of the characters seem rather nice, but are actually racist or something. It helps, I guess.

I'm wondering how the workers you mention in this paragraph, though, connect with the school setting you start developing in the next paragraph. Are these workers at the school, or did you change setting? A little more description is needed here to clear this up.
Okay, I'll try clearing that up. I need to remember that people can't read my mind x) I'll sort the semi-colon out also.

He should be lowercase.

I'm not sure, but I always thought it was uppercase if the sentence ended in a question or exclamation mark, and only lowercase if it ends with a comma.

- The repetition of the word "to kill" takes away from the power of the word and makes this segment read more sappily then it should. Repeating words like "kill", which are heavy and hold a lot of meaning, detracts from the word itself. Either change name of the setting on his gun, or use a synonym like "murdered" for the last line. I know it might be tricky to rephrase or find a substitutable word that fits, but repeating words like this is never good for the tone of a story.

Oddly enough, I recently changed the settings to numbers, but I forgot to change it. I'll do that now.

[...]I’m wondering HOW exactly he knows all this stuff. He’s obviously done it all before, but is he a year above her, and though we get the gist of this later with the “Hunter” title, I think during this interaction you need to add a sentence or two explaining how he was familiar with this and that he was a level ahead of her, as I was a little dubious of him until the word Hunter started being tossed around, and was even wondering what in the world he was doing around the drugged up students if he wasn’t one of them.

Yeah, I was worried that I was not giving enough information, but I also get infodump-anxiety. If I edit it, and PM you with what I put, could you please tell me if you think it's okay? I'll also fixed the other things you mentioned.

Your writing is very clear and organized for the most part, and I like the setting of the story. I hope my comments have helped, and feel free to PM me with questions you have about anything.

Heh, thanks! And thanks for wanting me to PM you with the next bit.
...with my monocle.

243 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 243
Mon Mar 16, 2009 6:00 pm
Blink says...

Hello, I'll bump this thread and review it. :)

some of whom refused to let them wear anything other than baggy shirts, jeans and battered boots.

Can these poor people really afford much more, anyway? Just something to think about here.

business men and women

This is a little clunky. I'd rephrase to "businesspeople". Because otherwise you've got the pesky issue of "businessman" or "business man". Better just avoid it all together.

I won't be so picky on the rest; I'm sure a proofread will clean up most of the other errors you've got.

Red caught a quick glimpse of a large book, another book of music for the piano, a box of pills, a handheld = ("hand-held") and a notepad; nothing particularly sinister.

Bearing in mind she's paranoid right now, I'd have thought she might be taking everything mundane to be quite sinister indeed. Remember, this is in her point of view so you'll need to go all the way. Does she cringe at the sight of these things, worried about them (the book is a religious text trying to convert her and the pills are poisonous, for example)? Or maybe she is unsure about them but doesn't know why? This is an excellent example where you need to be careful about your character. Get inside her head. And stay there.

He looked younger, his real age

"He looked younger than his real age..."

“What are you doing?” He snarled. “You scumbag, you hurt her…you aren’t even worthy to fucking look at her, and you hurt her. You’ll be happy to know that I’m a Hunter, a Captain, and that this is my girlfriend and soon to be a fully-fledged Hunter as well. I could have you killed for this, you know. I could have you killed oh-so slowly and painfully for this,”

I think this is a bit of info dump. Either that, or the guy's saying things that just don't seem realistic to me. I'd break it up, rather than one long, winded talk. It would have happened too quickly for him to react so quickly and yet still calm enough to say so much. I would spilt it up, like, for example:
"What are you doing?" he shouted, reaching for his shock pistol.
The girl gasped. "I'm sorr--sorry! P-Please sir--"
"You're not even worthy to
look at her, and you--"
"Don-don't hurt m-me! It was an accident, please--"
"I'm a hunter, you know. Could get you killed for this" Could get you ripped apart!"

And so on and so forth. By throwing in short, rapid sentences, we keep the reader more interested in the scene and it's more surprising when it happens.

on the warpath

Do you mean on the warpath as in he's angry? If so, it's cliché and doesn't really reveal much about his character. It'd just state his anger or show us it, maybe through hi snorting or something. If it's a literal road, capitalise the first letter.

Also:

I meant...I dunno if you call it something different, but it's the make-up you wear to give you a little colour in your cheeks. I've always called in blusher, but my friend calls it blush.

Blusher is what I call it (not that I use it :wink: ) but both are acceptable.

I'm not sure, but I always thought it was uppercase if the sentence ended in a question or exclamation mark, and only lowercase if it ends with a comma.

Nope. Always lower-case. If you need a reference, just check out... http://snoink.com/kn/writing/mechanics/1.php. That should help.

Okies

That was brilliantly written; I loved the word choices and the quick character development. The sentence structures are good and it's well done, in general; I also love the dystopian ideas you had. They work excellently.

However, I have a few bones to pick. Firstly, your characters are somewhat hard to make out. They are certainly sweet to one another, and it shows how the two characters respect their own caste and hate everyone below them, but it's strange. I agree with Clo that the contrast is too much. By any means, the main character can be as "evil" as you want, but we have to have reason. Yes, it's the upbringing but without explanation there's no real sense of innocence to convey it. So throw in some details--1984 by George Orwell does this with the two minute hate, for instance. We understand the loathing. In the real world, we'd consider such hate to be a massive character flaw, but in a dystopian society, it's normal and even a bonus. If you're going to flip that around, you need to remember that what might therefore be good in this world would be bad there--it connects the reader, so we care about the characters if you give them flaws, not just plain evil. The characters are the story so we need to understand.

The thing with first chapters is that we need something striking to make us continue reading. I found the shock of the two characters to throw me into a world where I was looking for a protagonist, as opposed to having found them. The scene was interesting and I enjoyed it greatly, but we need a solid foundation (with flaws, as I've said) before you define our characters so much. You might argue that the dystopian society strikes us, but it doesn't in the right sense. See, the characters make the novel and without them we have just description of the world in which they live. That's where ignoring characters and we relate to them will happen.

I can be abstract at times, and just ramble, so if you need any clarification of what I've said feel free to PM me.

Best of luck! I hope I've helped.
Blinky
"A man's face is his autobiography. A woman's face is her work of fiction." ~ Oscar Wilde

Mon Mar 16, 2009 10:25 pm
bio-mechanic says...

Thanks for the crit! (:

"He looked younger than his real age..."
No, I meant what I said there. As in, he looks older in uniform, and looks his real age out of it.

I would spilt it up
I've done that now.

It'd just state his anger or show us it, maybe through hi snorting or something
Yeah, I'll change that.

Nope. Always lower-case.

On the last bit (I can't be bothered to find individual bits to quote, sorry xD) I need to say a few things:
The protagonist is actually introduced in the next chapter--Red and Sergei are more anti-hero than protag, but I can see the kind of confusion.
Thanks for clearing the part up about 'why' because I wasn't sure I made it clear enough. I'm adding them in at the second, but I hate adding information like that all at once in case it seems that I'm infodumping. I could split it up, and stick some in the next chapter, where we also get the PoV of the protag.
In case you were wondering as well, the girl isn't just a random plot-device-type-person, either.

Thanks once again! I would make my response longer, but I'm actually meant to be doing French homework.
...with my monocle.

If you receive a bribe, you must report it in your income.
— John Oliver