It's taste will beg you stay
The life that it provides
Will last you through the day

It has a kind of light
That's in every drop it holds
This invigorating elixir
Is worth it's weight in gold

*Edited... twice. Thanks everyone*
Last edited by Threnody on Fri Feb 27, 2009 3:18 am, edited 6 times in total.
“One sees clearly only with the heart. Anything essential is invisible to the eyes”
~ The Little Prince~

1272 Reviews

Reviews: 1272
Fri Feb 27, 2009 1:54 am
Rosendorn says...

Hiya Forever! Here as requested!

Each morning we try to wake

I would add "as" before "we" to make things clearer.

General grammar nit pick: Turn every "it's" into "its" when you're talking about the coffee

~~

Flow: You have a pretty good flow here until the last stanza. I find the syllable pattern doesn't fit well with the other stanzas. I'd re-work the lines so they're a bit longer, so that they fit better with the other stanzas.

Rhymes: None are forced here, which I like. I would try to re-work the rhymes in the last stanza so they rhyme a bit better. By adding the "s" to "holds" I find it throws off the rhyme.

Theme: I don't drink coffee, but you do paint a nice picture here. I can certainly tell you like coffee. I'm not that fond of it, so I won't comment on any more then that. ;)

If you have any questions, PM me.

~Rosey
A writer is a world trapped in a person— Victor Hugo

Ink is blood. Paper is bandages. The wounded press books to their heart to know they're not alone.

Random avatar

Reviews: 13
Fri Feb 27, 2009 1:57 am
marshmellow-warrior says...

And how it's taste can melt The coldest place in your soul

no capital on "the".

It's worth it's wait in gold.

I don't really understand that part, did you mean 'weight' instead of 'wait' ?

I'm not a fan of coffee, but i think this poem is great !
It flows evenly, some parts are better than others,
and some parts i would personally change, but overall,
i think its wonderful. You are definitely a good poet, and I'd love to read
more of your poetry.

I hope this might have helped.
Have a stupendous day ! :smt020

324 Reviews

Reviews: 324
Fri Feb 27, 2009 3:20 am
Threnody says...

Edited, thanks. :D
“One sees clearly only with the heart. Anything essential is invisible to the eyes”
~ The Little Prince~

32 Reviews

Reviews: 32
Fri Feb 27, 2009 3:43 am
fire_of_dawn says...

Bravo. I even decided to get coffee a second chance after reading this.
"Do? I'll tell you what we'll do! We'll be ready!"
Matthias, from Redwall

"Life consists of doing the impossible."
Brother Fir, The Heir of Mistmantle

273 Reviews

Reviews: 273
Mon Mar 02, 2009 4:57 pm
Explosive_Pen says...

Amazing! You are a genius! And coffee is the best thing in the world. :D Five million gagillion gold stars!

Okay, again with the punctuation issues, but that just might be what you're going for; I dunno. The flow and rhythm is flawless here, and the rhyme doesn't seem forced at all.

That said, you are brilliant. Keep writing!
"You can love someone so much...But you can never love people as much as you can miss them."

38 Reviews

Reviews: 38
Tue Mar 03, 2009 1:15 am
Erica says...

Hahaha! I love coffe! this is relly fun to read. I liked some of the unique ways you described coffee.

It has a kind of light

This invigorating elixir

well behaved women rarley make history.

Random avatar

Reviews: 5
Sun Mar 08, 2009 7:07 pm
Handlebars says...

Again, score again. You are amazing. I love coffee so much an this poem described it so beautifully. I love your work to death. Good job again.

Favorite line~
I would like some coffee
I'd like it's macrame of smell
to envelope my mind
with it's gentle caramel

I never thought you could use "macrame" like you did but you managed to pull it off. Awesome!

135 Reviews

Reviews: 135
Sun Mar 08, 2009 11:30 pm
ballerina13 says...

This was an interesting piece. The title is what drew me in. you pretty good flow until the last stanza. can see that most people got your errors. This piece was fun. *Gold Star*

273 Reviews

Reviews: 273
Mon Mar 09, 2009 5:29 pm
Lost_in_dreamland says...

two I'm trying to do one hundred reviews in five days, so that's the reason for the number. xD
Okay, I liked this poem, it is one of those light hearted fun ones anyway I think we shall start instead of wasting time, do not you?

I would like some coffee
I've never found starting a poem with a statement the best way to start, it rather annoys me. That, of course, is down to personal opinion rather than fact. However, it is up to you, so if you wish to keep it, you shall.

Eh, this might be down to my lack of knowledge on the subject, but isn't macrame a texture? Oh, I get it now, just a little too confusing? Maybe rephrase it to make the sentence more coherent? 'Its' does not have an apostrophe, as it is showing possession, not abbreviation. Furthermore, I'd like its? I think you mean I like its, the tense is a little odd.

to envelope my mind
Going against all the types of imagery I love, I really like this line. The imagery is so simplistic, yet so effective. I can really see a brain sandwhiched in between things.

with it's gentle caramel
Again, possessive not abbreviated. Also, it might just be me but I wouldn't say coffee tasted of caramel, I'd say more... yeuch? Ha, I don't really like it, it being coffee, not your poem!

And how it's taste can melt

The coldest place in your soul
You've used the incorrect imagery. You imply here, that coffee takes the cold away, whilst you mean it heats you up, yes? For if we try to promote something why simply undo the negative whilst we could create a positive?

I lack the space to write the words
Hmm... again I think you need to rewrite this line, you don't really mean you lack the space, you mean it tastes too nice to be able to describe, yes?

that would describe it as a whole.
Nix the latter part of this sentence, what are you going to describe it as, if not a whole?

And without it's presence

Without it's reassuring break

We'd all be walking sleepers
Haha, seriously, contrary to my love for complicated, abstract imagery I really adore yours, it's so light hearted and fun. Both it's should be re-written as its.

As each morning we try to wake

It's smell will draw you in

Eh... the life that it provides will last you through the day? Na uh, if it provides a life why will it only last you through a day?

It has a kind of light

This invigorating elixir

Its. Would not most elixirs be worth their weight in gold?

Okay, I liked this poem. It was light hearted and fun, I think I'll do a smaller critique than usual though, as I don't have too much to say about this one.

"Look mummy, it's a dog, its tail is wagging!"
Apostrophes are really easy to use when you get used to them. Perhaps some practise wouldn't hurt.

It's just, when you post with terrible grammar, everyone's going to focus on it instead of your poem, and that is rather annoying, I am talking from experience.

it's indicates abbreviation. It shows that something has been shortened.

It's snowing outside
It's fun to play
It's nice to be happy.

See, all of these are abbreviations of it is:

It is snowing outside
It is fun to play
It is nice to be happy.

Yes?

Its indicates possession. For example:

Chasing its tail
Playing with its toy.

&c. &c.

If you need any more help with apostrophes perhaps look at some knowledge base articles?

Imagery

As I've previously said, I really enjoyed the imagery in this poem.

At times you got things a little mixed up, positives and negatives, etc. but most of the time it was a delight

My favourite type of imagery is abstract, complicated imagery, with deep philosophical meaning behind it. Yours did not have this, but it was interesting. It was lovely and fun, light hearted and childish.

Anyway, this was a lovely poem on a rather controversail subject ;)

Good luck with future writings, PM me if you've got any questions, and if you revise it PM me so I can come back and re-review or so to speak;

~Kirsten
for what are we without words and stories?

78 Reviews

Reviews: 78
Tue May 19, 2009 4:50 pm
Theodorable says...

Forever Threnody wrote:I would like some coffee
to envelope my mind
with it's gentle caramel

Okay, this is a good opening. It involves our senses and takes us into a world of coffee.

Forever Threnody wrote:And how it's taste can melt
The coldest place in your soul
I lack the space to write the words
that would describe it as a whole.

This helps with the set rhym scheme that you have set up. A-B-C-B, it's different, but it works.

Forever Threnody wrote:And without it's presence
Without it's reassuring break
We'd all be walking sleepers
As each morning we try to wake

The only thing that I can see wrong is the "And" at the beginning. The last stanza ended in a period so you could either change the period to a comma, or change the beginning of this stanza. But if you like it this way then leave it, it's your work not mine.

Forever Threnody wrote:It's smell will draw you in

Here, you might want to add some commas in between some of the lines. It sounds like a list of a sort.

Forever Threnody wrote:It has a kind of light
This invigorating elixir

Okay, you might want to add another period here. You ended one of the stanzas with a period, so you should continue with the punctuation. The rhym sort of went off a litte when you added the "s" to hold.

Over all it is a very good poem, and although I do not share your feelings on the drink. I can say that many people do. It involves our senses and pulls us in. Just work on the punctuation and you'll be set.

Teddy
Driver picks the music, shotgun shuts his cake hole. -Dean, Supernatural

Minds are like parachutes. They only function when they are open.
— Sir James Dewar, Scientist