Young Writers Society

Cashmoney

145 Reviews

Reviews: 145
Fri Feb 13, 2009 2:09 pm
View Likes
deleted2 says...

http://www.youngwriterssociety.com/post499786.html#499786

^ There's the contest, in case you're interested. It's a fun one.

Hope you enjoy the story. Feel free to be harsh in your review :wink:

XxxDo

----------------------------------

My stress does not contribute to the well-being of my house, I can tell you that in all seriousness. I am capable of single-handedly knocking quite some economic value off the property. Not due to my place being a mess for a lack of cleaning time, but rather because I have two left feet as it is. Stress makes it feel as though I have three.

As adrenaline joyrides through my veins, wreaking havoc on any and all attempts I make at calming myself, I snatch my keys off the marble surface of the hallway cabinet. I rush towards the front door, yanking it open with such vigor that it slips from my grasp and crashes into the adjacent wall. The rebound hits me, and I curse with heartfelt frustration as I turn and reach blindly for the doorknob. Purse in hand, I hobble onto the creaking floorboards of my front porch. The flanking window vibrates with a dull hum when I slam the door into its frame, my blood almost boiling.

Fumbling with my keys, I miss a splendid five times before finding the lock, then draw in a deep breath to squelch the raw, bitter panic that lingers at the back of my throat. I know, rationally, that Alicia is fine; but when it comes to my daughter’s safety I do not accept anyone's word as the truth. Not until I see her with my own eyes. Parents don't necessarily base all their judgment on reason. We're not above human flaws.

I take a single step backwards, my foot striking something I cannot readily identify. As my leg slides out from underneath me, I flail, finding myself momentarily spinning in mid-air.

As everyone knows; what goes up, must come down.

In this case, down onto the solid pavement of my garden path. With a grunt I hit the ground, my arms extended to receive the brunt of the impact. Even so, my face isn’t free from harm, and I feel the scrape welling with blood almost instantly.

God. Damn. It.

I grind my teeth, lying otherwise motionless on my stomach, dazed by the shock and pain that lace their way through my system. My heart throws itself against my strong cage of ribs, frenzied, in a futile attempt at escape. To be frank, I don't blame it. I'm certain I must have the heart of a rhinoceros by now, with all the strain I've put it through lately. Escape appears to be its best option - as opposed to staying with me and being pushed to a premature heart-attack in the not-too-distant future.

The rapid rhythm is perceptible deep inside my aching head, and I close my eyes as I twist onto my back with a slightly exaggerated sigh. Green rectangles of paper drift slowly to the ground, as elegant as the lightest of snowflakes on a midwinter day. Narrowing my eyes against the midday sunlight, I watch them fall, confusion taking root in my mind. Why the hell is there money raining down on me?

I sit up ever so slowly, my limbs heavy as lead, then examine the scrapes that line my forearms. Not a second later the burning sensation kicks in, and I set my jaw as my eyes tear up. Why is it that things begin to ache the moment you see them?

Drifting leisurely in circles, Benjamin Franklin’s portrait watches me with his pouty expression - oddly reminding me of a child who has been denied a fiftieth piggyback ride because their father's joints are acting up. The thought provokes a fleeting smile.

The bill spins the final coil of its rail-free rollercoaster ride, settling on my thigh. I stare at it for a moment, then lift my gaze to what once was a neat stack of money. It has since been transformed to a downright pandemonium of bills, which lie scattered across the rough floorboards of the porch.

The coin drops, so to speak, and my stomach wrenches while I connect all of the dots, linking the money to the events that are ruining my morning. This revelation triggers my second Goddamn of the day. As reality sinks in I realize that I should probably shovel all of the cash into my foyer before I take off. Despite this knowledge, I cannot find the strength to move. The thought of my daughter eggs me on, and I straighten up, brushing the grime off my clothes, the late Benjamin Franklin crumpled to a pulp in the palm of my tightly clenched hand.

Closing my eyes I wait for my inner hurricane to lose its verve.

Jesus Christ, Daniel. Why?

Weaving through the noontime traffic, my heart racing faster than the tires of my BMW, I grip the steering wheel so firmly that my knuckles grow devoid of colour. How many times, Daniel? How many times do we have to go through this before you stop?

On any other day, when laws are abided by and speed limits are respected, it takes me ten minutes to reach Alicia’s preschool from our driveway. Today, I manage to clock it in five. When I round the corner into the parking lot, tires squealing, my mouth has gone dry with exasperation. Reckless driving is hardly as easy as the countless Hollywood car chases in movies seem to suggest. With not a hair out of place, the hero cruises through New York during the worst of rush hour, three armed men in a black pickup truck chasing him as they fire their AK-47's. Three car crashes later he remains unscathed - and with no bead of sweat, crumpled garment, or displaced strand of hair.

In other words, dream on. Driving really isn't that easy.

I maneuver into a parking space, my method nowhere near within the realm of acceptable parking, I notice Mrs. Webb standing at the entrance of the single-storey, red-brick building. It dawns on me, as I slide out of the drivers seat, that her hair is almost indiscernible against the background of wall. The dark copper shade resembles the bricks so closely that I cannot help but question whether it qualifies as a plausible coincidence. Who knows where people find the inspiration to dye their hair?

I slam the car door, pressing my thumb against the electronic lock button on my keychain as I pace towards her. Approaching, I can see that the lines around her unusually stern grey eyes have deepened with concern, etched into her skin like canyons. Her mouth is set in a straight line, her lips tightly pressed together; a straight channel drawn across the unruly network of ravines.

I shake my head, clearing it from the countless useless comparisons that I collect whilst I go about my daily business. All kidding aside - I fully understand the apprehension that radiates off her, for she is the adult in charge of Alicia’s welfare during my daughters half-day stays at the preschool. This responsibility should not be as strenuous a burden as it has become over the past seven months. Ever since Daniel found himself going for the bottom of several bottles at a time, alcohol clawing its way into our lives at an unnerving pace, she has had an increasingly complex task to cope with.

Really, it all happened too fast for any of us to grasp it, until it was already beyond our control. It’s been almost a year – three months of which were spent with us living like a somewhat normal family. Those three months of tending to him as though he was a child were nerve-wrecking, and out of self-preservation I drew the line, walked his drunk ass to the car and brought him to a rehab centre.

Sensing some pent-up frustration? You're very much correct.

Unfortunately, it wasn’t impossible to walk out of there – and so he did, a week into his treatment. Since that day, when I received that dreadful "M'am, I'm afraid your husband has left the premises, along with another member of our AA rehab group," phone call, it has all been going in a downward spiral. That was when the kidnapping threats started.

I acknowledge that keeping him away from his own daughter may have been a mistake on my part; but the initial fault lies with him.

My bewildered state doesn’t do much to enhance the teacher's sense of comfort, for the abrasions on my arms standing out sharply against my pale skin, the untreated scrape that lines my jaw equally as visible. To her, they probably appear to be the result of domestic violence, for the leap from a father who drinks himself halfway to a coma and then attempts to kidnap his own child, to a husband who knocks his spouse around when he gets down some isn’t unimaginable.

On this account, almost everyone is mistaken; they judge the situation too eagerly. Daniel is many things – a liar, a thief, an alcoholic, and a desperately lost man – but he isn’t, and will never be, a man who beats his wife or child.

“Mrs. Thomas…” Webb reaches out, resting her hand on my shoulder in a gesture that is filled to the brim with compassion. I glance at her, then brush past. Pushing open the glass doors that lead into the lightwood foyer of the preschool, I walk in with as much dignity in my composure as I can muster. She gently presses her thick-rimmed glasses higher up on her nose, then follows in my wake without a word. Tightening my grip on my handbag, I grant her a smile as kind and calm as I can manage.

“Where is Alicia?”

The tension seems to dissapate slowly from her features, smoothening them out, allowing her to once again look her own age - as opposed to some seven years her own senior. Smiling back, her eyes lose their austerity. “In the playroom.”

I don’t linger to thank her, or even so much as grant her a nod of appreciation, for a single thought courses through my mind. All I want is to see my daughter, so I can be certain that she’s safe.

Daniel would never intentionally hurt her, but it's a commonly known fact that alcohol has the nasty tendency to lower one’s opinions as to what is acceptable behaviour. Driving under the influence may suddenly appear to be a dandy idea, for one. On the contrary, it can be deadly.

I stride into the naturally lit room - the walls lined by tall windows - where Alicia and her peers spend most of their leisure hours. Half a dozen pairs of curious eyes whisk my way, lingering for a mere moment before their attention is claimed by a more fascinating feat. Parents aren't an unordinary sight around here. One pair remains; bright blue crystals shining with joy. Her face splits into a wide smile, her rosy cheeks glowing with bliss.

“Mommy!” she calls, raising her arms in the air. I cross the room in three steps, kneeling beside my daughter as I carefully avoid striking any of the multicoloured Dinky Toy cars that she has surrounded herself with. They are strewn about the carpet in various intensities of car crashes and street races, several overturned - others halfway there.

I lean forward, and she wraps her chubby arms around my neck; her cheek hot against my own as I hold her tight. This is the third time that she almost slips from my web of protection, and just as I did on the previous two occasions, I pull my daughter close enough to feel her heartbeat and breathe in her familiar scent. Experiencing a rather rare sense of devotion, I thank God for keeping her safe.

Mrs. Webb comes up beside us, and I rise to my feet – knees cracking – as I lift Alicia onto my hip. She clings to me the way a newborn monkey attaches itself to its mother's fur, toy cars having lost her interest entirely.

“Where’s Daniel?” I ask, my weary gaze meeting Webbs. Behind her, the young intern watches with open curiosity, then quickly busies herself with the other children. My words provoke a slightly late, and astoundingly delighted, squeal from my daughter, who bounds up and down with enthusiasm at the mention of her father's name.

“Daddy!” she calls, pulling at my shirt to get my attention.

I smile at her lightly. “Yes, Baby, Mommy is looking for Daddy.” She envelops me in such a tight hug that I am left temporarily breathless. There’s nothing more beautiful than making your child happy, if you ask me; which is one of the various reasons that fuel my reluctance towards giving up on Daniel.

She loves him, and not seeing him again would be devastating to her. Resting her small head against my shoulder her arms untwine from their place around my neck, her hands moving to her face to wipe away loose strands of hair. Coiling her light blond hair around her fingers with one hand, the thumb of the other finds her mouth, and then she is still, watching us adults go about our business calmly.

She’s four, and her childlike habits are at their full flourish – especially when she’s tired, or senses that a situation is somehow tense and troubling to the people involved. She’s got a well-developed sense of empathy. I furrow my brow at the preschool teacher, wordlessly demanding an answer to my near-forgotten query.

“He left. To be quite frank… we were far more concerned about Alicia’s wellbeing than the whereabouts of your-”

“Did you speak to him?” I ask, gently rocking Alicia as she looks up at me with wide, uncomprehending eyes. She’s clearly picked up on the negative tone with which we discuss the man she lovingly refers to as Daddy. Confusion plays across her brows, and when her lower lip begins to tremble the slightest bit I set her down beside the toy cars. Tucking her hair behind her ears, I kiss her on the forehead.

“Mommy will be right back, okay? Play with your cars for a bit.”

Alicia doesn’t reply, but stares down at the scattered toys, reaching out for the bright yellow Hot Wheels truck that sits to her right. Satisfied that she’ll be fine for the time being, I pace out of the room, Webb on my heels. I’d rather leave her alone to play, slightly confused, than keep her with me to let her overhear all sorts of discussions about the man I so desperately want her to sustain a good connection with. Yes, he became a terrible husband, and his alcoholism has transformed him into a person who is incapable of caring for himself – let alone a child. But despite his problems he isn’t a bad person.

He’s lost, not evil.

“Can you tell me what happened?” I let the door close slowly behind us, and she doles out a curt nod. Gesturing towards the glass double doors, she starts. “He walked in as though he belonged here, and addressed me, asking to see Alicia. The scent of alcohol was unmistakable, Mrs. Thomas, he was clearly-” she pauses. “It was evident that he’d been drinking. Plenty.”

The fact that she rephrased her sentence in an attempt to make the words less confronting and harsh makes the information almost more difficult to swallow. Daniel has clearly not been able to abide by the ‘clean and sober’ clause that I set for him several months ago. Back when I had a grain of hope that he might just pull through by himself.

“I requested that he leave,” Webb adds, her gaze consciously avoiding me. “Naturally, he didn’t; not until I threatened to call the police.”

I regard her with an expression that is intended to egg her on, but seems to be having the opposite effect. She falls silent, and I sigh. A thought crosses my mind, and I straigten up slightly - tense.

“Did you see if he was driving?”

She shakes her head; my relief palpable as she speaks. “He walked out and crossed the parking lot; it didn’t look as though he was planning to drive.”

Thank God.

The sound of a wailing child dawns on us, and we turn in unison – Webb out of obligation, myself out of motherly instinct. I can recognize Alicia’s crying from miles away.

My mind jumps to premature conclusions when the scream of a young woman echoes through the hall, and I throw open the door. Immediatly, I stop in my tracks, meeting Daniel's eyes. Alicia lies in his arms, sobbing, stretching her arms in my direction as her face goes red with displeasure.

She's just a child, but she can tell that her Daddy isn't himself right now. Even a four-year old can notice his unusually shaky stance, and pick up on his slurring words - especially because he's carrying her with less confidence than he normally does. I wonder if she's afraid that he might drop her. I know I am.

The intern stands several meters to the right, hands clasped over her mouth in shock. I wonder if she has any idea what she's getting herself into; working in the place that supervises my child. We should hang a warning notice on the front door of the preschool.

He wobbles, his knees weak, and smiles a lopsided, watery smile aimed solely for me. “Heya, Babe,” he grins, lifting our screeching daughter slightly higher into the air without any sign of reckognition for her sobs. “I got my daughter.”

He doesn't mean to do this. He can't possibly have intended to hurt me or Alicia.

“Put her down, Daniel. Now.” My tone is severe as I take a step towards them. “You don’t want to hurt her, do you? Put her down. Please.”

Webb pushes past me, her expression somewhere between disdain and fright as she makes her way to the child nearest to Daniel. It’s a little boy whose eyes are almost as blue as Alicia’s, his hair equally as blond – if I wouldn’t have known better, I could have easily assumed that they were twins. In fact, the pair of them would look far from bad on the front one of those idyllic Hallmark postcards.

Sometimes I wish my brain would stop comparing everything in sight. I've often considered whether I'm somewhat A.D.D. I shake my head to clear it.

Webb coerces him to his feet, holding his hand as his lower lip trembles with confusion, a toy car clutched tightly in his miniature fist. She walks him over to the next child, gesturing at the intern to round up the children on the opposite side of the room. Not for a second does she stop to catch her breath amidst the cascade of soothing words that flows from her mouth.

A minute later, they leave the room, the kids chatting and shoving each other in the flailing manner only children can achieve. Webb raises a single eyebrow at me, in question. I shake my head; I know damn well what she’s asking. I do not need her to call the police on him, no matter how much she may want to.

It won’t help any of us along if Alicia watches her father get arrested, nor will it do Daniel much good to sit in a prison cell going through withdrawal that has the ability to make him sick as a dog. The withdrawal can be more adequately, and humanely, dealt with in a rehab centre, I'm sure. I'd hate to see him suffer more than is absolutely necessary for overcoming his problem.

“Daniel,” I address him like a youngster who is being reprimanded, for I assume that may have more effect on him than any stern, no-nonsense approach could possibly have. He regards me with red-rimmed, shifty eyes as Alicia falls silent to draw air into her lungs. The image is heartbreaking.

“Daniel, put her down,” I say, my tone friendly and coercing. He wavers visibly, then begins to lower her to the ground. I hold my breath, praying he won’t let her fall. Every possible scenario of disaster passes through my mind's eye in an instant. He wouldn't ever do it intentionally, but I know that accidents can happen in an instant. "Please."

When she touches down to the ground she transforms into a burst of motion, scrambling to her feet and running straight for the safety of my presence. Wrapping her arms around my thigh, her little body pressed against my legs, she draws in a quivering breath and watches her father. I wonder what goes on inside that mind of hers; I bet it's more complex than any of us would assume. I bet she's picking up far more about the situation than I'd like her to.

“Al…” Daniel starts, trying to kneel to come eye-to-eye with our daughter. He sways, then falls sideways with slow, floundering movements, his expression one of pure surprise. If it had been anyone else, I would have laughed. Up close and personal, though, it isn't all that funny. Lo and behold; the reason why the drunk shouldn’t handle children. Their coordination is shot straight to hell by the liquor that runs through their system, leaving them with less cognitive and physical equilibrium than the child they are supposed to be caring for.

“What are you doing, Daniel?” I ask him matter-of-factly, reaching down to place a protective hand on my daughters back. Her breathing is rapid, like that of a cornered animal, and I rub my hand in soothing circles to calm her.

“I was just…” he tries to sit up, his words slurring. “Coming to see Licia?”

“You’re piss drunk. If you were sober I wouldn’t have a problem with you seeing her. If you sorted yourself out months ago you could have been living at home with us right now, seeing her daily. You know I love you, but I can’t let you hurt Alicia. That’s what you’re doing, Daniel; you’re hurting your own daughter.”

“No…” he lets out a wheezing sound, like the rugged breathing of a wounded animal, wiping his sweaty face with his sleeve.

“She loves me… I love her, Babe, I love you, please… I’m not a bad Daddy...” Despair seeps through his words, his eyes wide with an almost juvenile incomprehension. “I left the cashmoney, Babe… I’m not a bad husband, I left you the money!”

“You thought you could make a trade? Our daughter for a stack of bills?” My voice breaks as disbelief bubbles to the surface. “She’s the most important thing I have, Daniel, and you know that. You knew that. You’d realize if you stopped killing yourself with that booze of yours, damn it!”

Alicia lets out a sound that I recognize as the beginning of another sob, and I stroke her head, my gaze trained on Daniel – who still lies on the floor, curled up in a near fetal-position. One day, many years ago, I met his eyes across a crowded bar. However cliché it may be, it felt so right back then; we both sensed the spark. Now I look at the shadow of a man that is on the ground before me. His clothes are too large for his thinned-out body, a three-day old beard lining his jaw, his hair past its due date for a good wash by at least a week. I look, and find myself wondering how everything could possibly have gone this wrong.

Damn near choked by my emotions, I manage a tearful: “How the fuck far gone are you, Daniel?”

He doesn’t say a word, though his mouth is slightly open. My words are a bullet to the heart. He manages to push himself off the ground, sitting on his knees, hunching over. Minutes pass, the silence merely dissected by the rapid breathing of a family torn to shreds.

Pulling himself up to his feet, he leans heavily against the Winnie the Pooh decorated bookshelf that I would never have envisioned anywhere near a drunk, scruffy, twenty-nine-year old man such as himself. He is as out of place as he could ever be.

“I didn’t mean to…” he tells me, his voice filled with remorse, his eyes pleading with me.

“How did you get here?”

“Paulie… he dropped me off?” it came out sounding like a question more than a statement, and I cannot help but wonder whether he is actually clear on the details as to what he’s been up to today.

“Paulie, huh? And who was it that left the money?”

“Me… It was my cash… money. Yea, it was mine, but Paulie left it.” he rubs the bridge of his nose, appearing rather confused with his own memory. I don't blame him; anyone would be confused after the amounts of alcohol I assume he's had today. The simple motion is familiar, and jolts my memory gently. The first time I saw him use this specific nervous tick was when he asked me to prom in our Senior year, the bridge of his nose red from rubbing.

“Right.” I lift Alicia onto my hip, holding her tight. She pats my shoulder, and I rest my gaze on her tear-streaked face. She continues to pat, then fidgets with the neckline of my shirt. I can see the question in her eyes, and wait for her to speak.

“What’s wrong with Daddy?”

“Daddy will be okay, baby. Daddy just isn’t feeling so well,” I promise, my heart aching. I shouldn't have to lie to my daughter, it's not right. It's disturbing that my lying to her is in her own best interests.

“Sarah… please, please take me home,” he begs, his breathing strained with the effort it’s costing him to stay on his feet. Deep inside of me, beneath all the anger, hurt, and disappointment, there is a part of me that loves him dearly. I have seen the man he can be; the humourous and good-times father, the considerate and caring husband… I cannot abandon all hope and give up on him. Not yet.

I have faith that one day he’ll become that man again, and that with enough effort his troubles can turn into an issue of the past. It has to be possible.

“Where are you staying right now?” I can't show him that my mind is wavering, questioning my past decisions, until I am certain that I'm ready to reconsider them.

He shrugs, swaying, his eyes unmistakably wet. I feel my body go cold. “You do have a place to stay, right? Paulie’s, maybe?”

Shaking his head, he gestures vaguely with his arm. It dawns on me that Alicia is patiently tugging at my shirt, and glance down. She tilts her head to look up at me. “Mommy, can I go play?”

Her innocent remark slices through the tension, tearing down the drapes of frustration that had come up between Daniel and I. Lowering her to the parquet, I smile. “Go play, Baby, but stay near Mommy, okay?”

She nods, wandering only slightly to my right, appearing hesitant to allow a distance to fall. I wave her on, and she takes the last few steps towards the toy-filled crate that caught her eye. When I look up I find that Daniel's expression has crossed the line between confusion and hurt, as he realizes what the words I spoke to our daughter implied.

“I won’t do it again,” he says, his speech still slurring. When he repeats his words, though, I cannot say I'm sure whether he's trying to convince me, or himself. Silence falls, though it is not necessarily the dense, tongue-tied quiet that smothers you. It’s oddly comfortable.

I watch Daniel as he, in turn, watches our daughter dig through the contents of the crate, his grimy face serene, his body language open and calm.

My husband, living on the streets. The thought, even after seven months, is surreal. Did he not eat to save up the money that he left on my doorstep? How long has he been homeless to fund this kidnapping attempt?

How many hours, in the past week, has he actually been sober?

It dawns on me that kicked him out with nothing more than the clothing on his back.... and his wallet. I frown lightly. He had all his cards right there with him, the security codes stored in his memory. Did he take the money from our joined bank account? Or fromhis personal funds, maybe?

Judging by his tone I assume the latter is true. He wouldn’t imagine stealing such an amount from our financial plan – especially not with the intention to pass it off as his own. He’s not that kind of man. He's also largely incapable of holding any kind of job under his current condition.

“Daniel.” I say. He faces me, pained, his hands, the nails black-rimmed, clawing at his stained shirt nervously. I don’t know what to say to him, my mind filled to the brim with far too many options. Really, there is only one that works for all of us. I know his reasons for his current state, and I don't blame him. I blame myself, partly, for letting it get this far. For not noticing. For not being there enough.

“Let’s go home,” I tell him, hardly believing my own words. His breath catches, and he doesn’t move a muscle. Alicia drops her Dinky Toy into the crate. “Going home?” She asks, looking at the two of us with youthful optimism.

“Yes, Baby, we’re going home. All of us.” I say, as a smile breaks through on Daniels face. Shimmering through the sluggish influence of the alcohol is the man that I love.

“I love you.” He tells me, taking a steady step forwards - in more ways than one.

His arms come around me, strong and comforting, and I bury my head where his shoulder meets his neck, my chin resting on his collar bone. It's an embrace I've been craving for months.

I love you.” He whispers again, his breath warm against my skin. “I never meant to lay our love on the line, Sarah. I promise, We’ll move past all this.”

Through the smell of sweat, liquor and grime, the familiar scent of his skin is perceptible. Closing my eyes, I feel warm tears trace a path down my cheeks, and hope that this time he truly is sincere, and that his words are not merely a figment of a drunken mind.
Last edited by deleted2 on Sat Feb 28, 2009 11:09 pm, edited 12 times in total.

216 Reviews

Reviews: 216
Sat Feb 14, 2009 8:02 pm
View Likes
asxz says...

Hey, Here's the review you asked for!

I take a single step backwards, my foot striking something I cannot readily identify. As my leg slides out from underneath me, I flail, finding myself momentarily airborne.

Everyone knows; what goes up, must come down.

In this case, onto the solid pavement of the garden path. With a grunt I hit the ground, my arms extended to receive the brunt of the impact. Nevertheless, my face isn’t free from harm, and I feel the scrape welling with blood almost instantly.

Okay... I don't really get this. S/he hasn't seen the pile of money in front of her car, even though s/he was about to get in, and s/he already stepped over it? This seems a little over the top! I don't really get this, because it seems like someone leaves money here all of the time, because there isn't any surprise on your main character's face, no fainting with the 'large sum' (How much is it exactly?) that suddenly appeared. Go more in depth for this moment.

The second part... I was pretty sure that she was walking backwards, does she twist in mid air? or was it her skull that got grazed. Clarify this.

Ever since Daniel found himself going for the bottom of several bottles at a time, alcohol clawing its way into our lives at an unnerving pace.

I thought that Daniel was the main character. You have to clear this up, because when he is thinking, he mentions 'Daniel'. I though he was saying something like this:
"Why did I do this", not "What has he done now"
You should introduce the characters a little more. You're rushing to get to your daughters preschool, but why is your heart racing? What's wrong with you daughter that means she's a burden. I need to know these things. It seems like you're just assuming some stuff, I know I do! Just read over the first part, and clarify it, give in depth descriptions about the characters so we know what's happening.

Mrs. Webb comes up beside us, and I rise to my feet – knees cracking – as I life Alicia onto my hip. She clings to me like a young monkey to its mothers fur, the toy cars having lost her interest entirely.

Typo!
The look on his face, though, is very different from my daughters’.

There is a good article on how to use apostrophes here
Um, nice ending, but the whole bulk of the story seems irrelevant to the prompt. I need more discriptions of the characters, I know nothing about them even now, when I have finished the story. T’s a good plot, but you need to work on the things that I have written above. Keep working on it, and you could win the competition.
PS. I don’t like the ending… how could Sarah just give up her ground like that? She was sure that he wasn’t coming home, and then she just lets him hop in the car. You need to go more in-depth about that part. Good luck!
::XoX::KeepWriting::XoX::

GENERATION 29: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Writing is 3% talent and 97% not being distracted by the internet

106 Reviews

Reviews: 106
Sun Feb 15, 2009 4:08 pm
View Likes
Flux says...

I will take out little parts, quote it. My adjustments are all in bold. If something it mission, I will bold a little question mark in braquets, okay?
- - -
The flanking window vibrates with a low buzz(?) when I slam the door into its frame, my blood (?)boiling.

I feel that it should b: "The flanking window vibrates with a low buzz that when I slam the door into its frame, my blood is boiling."
- - -
To be frank; I don't blame it.

No semi-colon, I do believe. Just a comma would work fine.
- - -
Why is (?)that things begin to ache the moment you see them?

I think you should add it in there.
- - -
Reckless driving is hardly as easy as the countless Hollywood car chases in movies seen to suggest.

So if you want to keep the scentence, then it would be seem, I think.

But if you want to keep 'seen' in there, the scentence should probably be: "Reckless driving is hardly as easy as the countless Hollywood car chases in movies that I have seen [s]to[/s] suggest."
- - -
It dawns on me, as I slide out of the drivers seat, that her hair is almost indiscernible against the background of(?[/b[) wall.

"... against the background of [b]the wall."
- - -
Since that day, when I received that dreadful "M'am, I'm afraid your husband has left the premises, along with another member of our AA rehab group." phone call, it has all been going in a downward spiral.

I think that should only be a comma, because it isn't ending the sentence, but still part of it.
- - -
Um, before I go on, I just want to get a couple of things straight:

Firstly, I think that this should be in the Other Fiction section, because it does not have a whole lot of action or adventure in it.

Secondly, please rate this "R". I found the "F word" in it. Yes, it was only once, but anything with the F-word should be rated R.

OVERALL IMPRESSIONS~

So, it was good. I was a little bored after the beginning. I liked the beginning because, well, it was pretty cool. Great description. A few little errors I found, but you didn't leave a lot of nit-pick.

Asxz has already said this, but I also would like more description of the characters. They're a little unclear to me. I'd probably rate this work a seven out of ten because most description was immense. I was in awe. Your are a talented writer. Gold Star.

That's really all I have to say. Good luck with the contest. Please make sure to make those little adjustments about the rating and such.

And I am happy to say I learned from you today! I learned what 'idyllic' and 'coerce' is. I will not lie that I used a dictionary. And I'm glad you posted today, because I went to check today. I'm happy you weren't left waiting for long.

Sorry, this is going on forever. Good luck!

~ La Reina!
"Man is least himself when he talks in his own person.

Give him a mask and he will tell you the truth."

-- Oscar Wilde

145 Reviews

Sun Feb 15, 2009 4:18 pm
deleted2 says...

Hey there,

Thanks so much for the reviews!

I'll make the adjustments ^_^

Asxz: Thanks for the article link; I definitely need it. I'm a disaster with apostrophes.

LaReina: It's cool that you learned from it ! Thanks for the compliments *warm/fuzzy*

Xxx

365 Reviews

Reviews: 365
Mon Feb 16, 2009 9:08 pm
Antigone Cadmus says...

Hey, Do!

Sorry for the long wait... :oops:

But I'm still here as requested! :wink:

My stress does not contribute to the well-being of my house, I can tell you that in all seriousness. I am capable of single-handedly knocking quite some economic value off the property.

So I'm assuming that you are trying to tell us that the MC's house is messy? That's fine, but you never go back to the mess. Perhaps you should describe her/him making his/her way through the clutter or desperately trying to find his/her car keys on the jumbled countertop?

I take a single step backwards, my foot striking something I cannot readily identify.

Okay, this doesn't make much sense...
Your MC runs to the car, conveniently steps over the "Unidentified Object," and does not hit it until he/she steps back?

my arms extended to receive the brunt of the impact. Even so, my face isn’t free from harm, and I feel the scrape welling with blood almost instantly.

But she/he fell backwards?

I believe LaReina touched upon this already. but this whole falling scene is a bit confusing.

So stay consistent:

-- How could your character walk over a huge sack o' cash?
-- Did they flip over in mid-air?

I'm certain I must have the heart of a rhinocerus by now, with all the strain I've put it through lately.

I'm sort of at a loss for what this simile means. Are rhinoceroses particularly stressed? Are their hearts strained?

Also: Rhinoceros. Not "us." ^_^

Why is it that things begin to ache the moment you see them?

What did he/she see?

President Franklin’s portait

I'm afraid Benjaman Franklin was never president, dear. ^_^ Look it up. You also forgot the second r in portrait.

This triggers my second damn of the day.

Your second damn? Damn what?

the late President Franklin

Once again, he was never president.

Jesus Christ, Daniel. Why?
Weaving through the noontime traffic, my heart racing faster than the tires of my BMW,

Alright, this is just about how you transition in a confusing way. She found all this money, is thinking of a man named Daniel, and is now driving? Did she pick up the money? You can't tell me she just left it there... And who is Daniel?
There also isn't much traffic at noontime. ^_^

my daughters half-day

Daughter's. You need the apostrophe.

dreadful "M'am, I'm afraid your husband has left the premises, along with another member of our AA rehab group," phone call,

Are these really customary phone calls? I believe in reality, Daniel would have simply checked himself out of Rehab.

child nearest to Daniel. It’s a little boy whose eyes are almost as blue as Alicia’s, his hair equally as blond – if I wouldn’t have known better, I could have easily assumed that they were twins. In fact, the pair of them would look far from bad on the front one of those idyllic Hallmark postcards.
Sometimes I wish my brain would stop comparing everything in sight.

I wish your MC would stop doing this as well. She appears to be slightly ADD, and rants about everything in sight. This boy has nothing to do with the story, why are we discussing him?

When she touches down to the ground she transforms into a burst of motion, scrambling to her feet and running straight for the safety of my presence

I thought you said Alecia loved Daniel? Now she is frightened?

Overall

Huh... you took an interesting view point on this prompt. I agree though that Sarah gave up her ground much to easily. She basically says, "You're a drunk! But... you love me so it's alright!"

PM me if you have any questions!

Hope this helped,
Sakura
Odi et amo. quare id faciam, fortasse requiris?
nescio, sed fieri sentio et excrucior.
-Catullus, Carmen 85

145 Reviews

Mon Feb 16, 2009 9:15 pm
deleted2 says...

*gasp* Google images lied to me !

I searched "Dollar bill" - I've never been to America, how can I know what's on it? - and it came up with a picture of a dollar bill that said Franklin on it. Also I know nothing about past American presidents.

Whose picture is on the dollar bill?

[/fail]

Thanks for the review, dear! *snugs*

Could you tell me what part makes it sound like she goes to her car? I don't see it, and I never intended it to be that way. She's just in her hallway during the first part, until she steps outside onto the porch. Seeing as this has been commented on before, I think it's quite important that I change it.

And I'll edit keeping the rest of your comments in mind, too.

^_^

XxxDo

365 Reviews

Reviews: 365
Mon Feb 16, 2009 9:50 pm
View Likes
Antigone Cadmus says...

Ah. Google did not lie to you; we simply have more then one kind of dollar bill!

A Quick Guide to Currently Worthless (Darn Economy) American Currency

$1 -- George Washington (president)

$5 -- Abraham Lincoln (president)

$10 -- Alexander Hamilton (NOT president)

$20 -- Andrew Jackson (crappy president)

$50 -- Ulysses S. Grant (president)

$100 -- Benjamen Franklin (NOT president)

So if he's leaving mass amounts of money, they would probably be in the form of $20's or $100's...

Does that help some?

On the car:

I guess just because you mention cars, car keys, and then fumbling with a lock. Whoops. Now it is more clear. I guess it makes more sense if he left the money on the front porch. :D

Hope this helped,
~~~Sakura~~~
Last edited by Antigone Cadmus on Tue Feb 17, 2009 1:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
Odi et amo. quare id faciam, fortasse requiris?
nescio, sed fieri sentio et excrucior.
-Catullus, Carmen 85

Random avatar

Reviews: 1
Mon Feb 16, 2009 10:22 pm
View Likes
Zlarp says...

Egads! This thing has become long... anyway, here goes:

Hey there! Yeah, so you got me to sign up on YWS, be proud of yourself and such :P

Take small happiness while you still can, though, because I'll try being as mean as possible here!

My stress does not contribute to the well-being of my house, I can tell you that in all seriousness. I am capable of single-handedly knocking quite some economic value off the property.

I'd take out the "I can tell you that in all seriousness" here, it's not needed and just makes it all a bit weaker - instead of more serious. I'd also take out the "My" and the "quite some" because I just love cutting stuff and such. (So sue me :P)

As adrenaline joyrides through my veins, wreaking havoc on any and all attempts I make at calming myself, I snatch my keys off the marble surface of the hallway cabinet.

Cut the "wreaking havoc on any and all attempts I make at calming myself" - It's adrenaline. It does that.

Parents are not necessarily rational, no. We're not above human flaws, by any means.

Cut "by any means" and maybe the "no". You also use both "rational" and "rationally" in the same paragraph. I have sources that tell me you don't like words being repeated :P

I grind my teeth in annoyance, lying otherwise motionless on my stomach, briefly dazed by the shock and pain that lace their way through my system.

Cut the "in annoyance" and the "briefly". The writing is good enough that the reader should be able to get that. (Which is the kind of veiled compliment Moeshas always gets from me. She doesn't appreciate those for some reason... hrrrm...)

My heart throws itself against the cage of my ribs

Can you say that? My knowledge of the English language strains at this point but wouldn't this mean "cage that surrounds the ribs" rather than "rib cage"?

rhinocerus

I checked on google and got this: http://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/rhinocerus -- Interesting :P

as opposed to staying for a premature heart-attack in the not-to-distant future.

not-so-distant or not-too-distant?

Why the hell is there money raining down on me?

Now that I want to know. Even though it was a competition requirement, you make it interesting!

Why is it that things begin to ache the moment you see them?

It's a brain perception filter kind of thing. You blend out sensations that aren't necessary for what you're doing at the moment, otherwise you would be experiencing everything that happens around you at once. My friend, for example got his leg impaled one one of our farming machines and... blah blah blah science lecture blah...

Drifting leisurely in circles, President Franklin’s portait watches me with his fairly pouty expression

Cutting out "fairly" makes it funnier. Plus the correction feature of my webbrowser (Camino! </advertising>) just highlighted "portait", which should of course be "portrait". Also: Do you capitazlize "President" because he's *the* president? I never knew that.

The thought provokes a fleeting smile.

We're smiling already, don't destroy that by telling us it was a joke. (Cut this sentence :P)

The bill spins the final coil of its rail-free rollercoaster ride, settling on my thigh.

This is cool.

It has since been transformed to a downright pandemonium of bills, which lie scattered throughout a meter-wide circumference.

You're being a bit too exact here for my taste when describing chaos. When I read "meter wide circumference" I'm thinking geometry lessons.

This triggers my second damn of the day. I should probably shovel all of it into my foyer before I take off, but I cannot find the strength to move.

It's obvious you mean the money in the second sentence, but the "it" grammatically refers to the "second damn of the day", which breaks reading flow a bit.

Weaving through the noontime traffic, my heart racing faster than the tires of my BMW, I grip the steering wheel so firmly that my knuckles grow devoid of colour.

the "my heart racing faster than the tires of my BMW" is a phrase I like, so I'm reluctant to cut it, but I would because it doesn't add anything. The sentiment is already carried by the firm grip.

In other words; dream on. Driving really isn't that easy.

I'm sure Jackie Chan and Eddie Murphy would both object to this, but I can't drive, so... :P

I maneuver into a parking space, my method nowhere near within the realm of acceptable parking – though that isn't entirely due to the stress, I must admit – I notice Mrs. Webb standing at the entrance of the single-storey, red-brick building

Would cut the thing inside the hyphens.

It dawns on me, as I slide out of the drivers seat, that her hair is almost indiscernible against the background of wall.

"It dawns on me" sounds as if this should be some sort of cosmic revelation. Isn't she supposed to be scared for her daughter instead of noticing hair color?

Approaching, I can see that the lines around her unusually stern grey eyes have deepened with concern, etched into her skin like canyons.

The "etched into her skin like canyons" is too much for me, which is why I would - you guessed it - cut it. God I'm in such a cutty mood today... I wish I could do that with my own babies. I mean stories.

My bewildered state doesn’t do much enhance the teacher's sense of comfort

Should be "much to enhance"

Daniel would never intentionally hurt her, but it's a commonly known fact that alcohol has the nasty tendency to lower one’s opinions as to what is acceptable behaviour. Driving under the influence may suddenly appear to be a dandy idea, for one. On the contrary, it can be deadly.

You can't win with a phrase like this. Either the reader doesn't know it's a commonly known fact and therefore feels you're being condescending or...(more likely :P) s/he already knows this and you don't need to tell them. If you're trying to educate young people about the dangers of drunk driving, be more subtle :P I'd rephrase.

Parents aren't an unordinary sight around here

Unordinary? I'm sure you can do better than that. Is it even a word?

Her face splits into a wide smile, her rosy cheeks glowing with bliss.

Do away with the bliss, it's too much sparkles for me to handle :P

“Mommy!” she calls, raising her arms in the air, beckoning for me to come to her.

Beckoning her to come to her as indicated already by the raised arms? Cut the beckoning part.

I pull my daughter close enough to feel her heartbeat, and breathe in her familiar scent

No comma here, I think.

She envelops me such a tight hug that I am left temporarily breathless.

Should be "envelops me in"

Resting her small head against my shoulder her arms untwine from their place around my neck

Comma

Coiling her light blonde hair around her fingers with one hand

I'd write "blond hair". This is not necessary according to my dictionary, but can be confusing in theory since "blonde" usually refers to a woman who is blond.

I pace out of the room

Not the first time she paces in this story. No real problem, but be careful.

I’d rather leave her alone to play, slightly confused, than keep her with me to let her overhear all sorts of discussions about the man I so desperately want her to sustain a good connection with

Cut this for show don't tell reasons

The sound of a wailing child dawns on us, and we turn in unison – Webb out of obligation, myself out of motherly instinct.

Cut the obligation and motherly instinct bit

Not for a second does she stop to catch her breath amidst the cascade of soothing words that flows from her mouth, a feat which I cannot deny impresses me quite a bit.

It'd be more impressive if you didn't tell us :P

It won’t help any of us along if Alicia watches her father get arrested, nor will it do Daniel much good to sit in a prison cell going, through withdrawal that has the ability to make him sick as a dog.

Withdrawal doesn't really have any "ability" Edit: Oh, just noticed, superfluous comma after "going"

If it has been anyone else, I would have laughed.

If it had been. Also: "If it were anyone else, I would laugh"?

Their coordination is shot straight to hell by the liquor that runs through their system, leaving them with less cognitive and physical equilirium than the child they are supposed to be caring for.

equiwhat? Equilibrium maybe?

“No…” he lets out a wheezing sound, like the rugged breathing of a wounded animal, wiping his sweaty face with his sleeve - anguish shimmering through his every move.

The way you're showing the anguish through the dialogue is much more powerful than if you just tell us. Cut "anguish shimmering through his every move.

He doesn’t say a word, though his mouth is slightly open. My words were a bullet to the heart. He manages to push himself off the ground, sitting on his knees, hunching over. Minutes pass, the silence merely dissected by the rapid breathing of a family torn to shreds.

It sometimes tempts me to let "minutes pass" in silence as well, but thinking about it it's just weird somehow. I don't think they'd actually be silent for minutes. Maybe it could feel like minutes?

Pulling himself up to his feet, he leans heavily against the Winnie the Pooh decorated bookshelf that I would never have envisioned anywhere near a drunk, scruffy, twenty-nine-year old man such as himself. He is as out of place as he could ever be.

The contrast is wonderful and clear as day. Just set your period after "bookshelf" and leave the rest out.

She nods, wandering only slightly to my right, appearing hesitant to allow a distance to fall.

I don't really get what this sentence means.

Sooo, other comments on the story not about particular paragraphs:

You can't tell me you're not mature anymore, this is cool! You're pulling dialogue off very well and the emotion are as convincing as can be from laughter to tears. People don't break character, which is really nice.

I love the ending. It's very convincing and also sad. I don't think this sort of person ever gets better and the nameless (I think she's nameless?) protagonist is just deluding herself, but I can just see her do it, like with any abused wife.

It's a bit strange that the crib staff are kept out of the story so much after their initial appearance.

Also: The whole "buy my child from you" plan... That's stretching suspense of disbelief for me. Even if he's been drunk, he can't have been drunk for all that time, and if he has, even then he should've realized how idiotic that idea was :P

I like the quirkyness of the main character, so maybe you could put a bit more of that in in the latter part of the story, but I admit that's hard without killing off the drama (which you're building up very well!)

Generally, I think your sentences are too long. Take out a few commas, replace them with periods. Complex sentence structures aren't really that good a thing. I like your descriptions, but you're sometimes stretching them out too much (which I think is what I did most of the cutting with) In the end you might just ignore my suggestions here and say what you're doing is your style, though, which would be fine by me :P

Anyway, cool story, very mature and such!

P.S: I just wanted to reread my review, but I'm feeling too tired for that now somehow, so sorry for any and all mistakes I made. You may chastise me as you please! (No, not THAT way!)

Edit: reread it anyway because I'm such a perfectionist and changed a few things... next time I review something here I think I'll just copy someone's story into word and go with the "track changes" feature, this took me too long :P

145 Reviews

Tue Feb 17, 2009 5:23 am
deleted2 says...

Thanks, FTH !

(Ha! I'll be the only one on here that knows that nickname! Well... not for long, probably, but hey ^_^ for now.)

The reviews is helpful, for sure! Also, well done on figuring the website out. It's your first post and you quote? Heh, quoting t took me a while to figure out :roll:

It's awesome that you joined! *Squee!*

Sakura: Thanks ! It makes sense now ^_^ I'll be sure to change that in my story. I jumped to conclusions, I suppose - assuming it would definitely be a president on the bill. Shows how much I know about America, huh? :wink:

XxxDo

287 Reviews

Reviews: 287
Wed Feb 18, 2009 6:22 am
View Likes
Moriah Leila says...

I know you wanted a review from me, but it's hard for me to critique your work. I really enjoyed reading this piece. I liked the pov and tone of the whole piece. Most everything that I was going to critiue you on has already been covered and I don't want to be redundant. I do have two points to cover.

Number One:
My mind jumps to premature conclusions when the scream of a young woman echoes through the hall, and I throw open the door. Immediatly, I stop in my tracks, meeting Daniel's eyes. Alicia lies in his arms, sobbing, stretching her arms in my direction as her face goes red with displeasure.

Earlier in your story, Alicia had gotten excited at the mere mention of her Dad's name and now all of a sudden she is afraid of being held by him. This inconsistency just kind of irked me.

Number Two:
Did he not eat to save up the money that he left on my doorstep? How long has he been homeless to fund this kidnapping attempt?

How many hours, in the past week, has he actually been sober?

How is he earning this money? Because based on his physical description, he probably isn't going to be keeping a job looking like that. Also you make him out to be pretty drunk at that moment in time and alcohol costs money, so where did he get the money for the booze? How was he able to resist the urge to spend the kidnapping money on alcohol instead? I always am bothered when I finish reading a story with unanswered questions.

And that is all I have! Wohoo! What a great review! But seriously, your characters seem so real to me and I love the flow of this piece.
I am not addicted to reading, I can quit as soon as I finish one more chapter.

108 Reviews

Reviews: 108
Fri Feb 20, 2009 4:35 pm
KailaMarie says...

Sorry this took so long, I've been really busy, but I finally found some time. (:

I really like the opening line. It makes me curious and want to keep going. Good job.

Escape appears to be a rather good option - as opposed to staying for a premature heart-attack in the not-to-distant future.
This part sort of confused me. How was she escaping?

Narrowing my eyes against the midday sunlight, I watch them fall, confusion taking root in my mind. Why the hell is there money raining down on me?
Haha. I like this. Your main character is real; I like her. She sort of reminds me of my own mom. Haha.

In other words; dream on.
I think a colon would be better than the semi colon.

I smile at her lightly. “Yes, baby, mommy is looking for daddy.”
I think "Baby" should be capitalized as well as "mommy" and "daddy" because they're being used as names.

He’s lost, not evil.
I like this line. But I wonder what made him become an alcoholic in the first place. It might be good to introduce that earlier.

He wobbles, his knees weak, and smiles a lopsided, watery smile aimed solely for me. “Heya, babe,”
Good imagery here. You have really good talent for describing things. I do think that "babe" should be capitalized, though.

nor will it do Daniel much good to sit in a prison cell going, through withdrawal that has the ability to make him sick as a dog.
You don't need the comma after "going".

I'm a little confused about why he left money and how he got it, but other than that, this was amazing. It was really heartfelt, and I loved the narrator, what it was about, everything. You used good vocabulary, the dialogue was really good, and all the characters felt really well developed. You're really talented. Really good job!
... :D ...
[url]spottedturtle.tumblr.com[/url]

878 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 878
Sat Feb 21, 2009 1:50 pm
Demeter says...

Hello, XxxDo! Here's the review you asked for a long time ago, sorry it has taken so long!

First of all, some typos here:

Drifting leisurely in circles, President Franklin’s portrait watches me

without any sign of rec[s]k[/s]ognition for her sobs

as opposed to staying for a premature heart-attack in the not-too-distant future.

The main problem I think you have with this is that you use so many big words and wordy sentences. It reminds me of the current Quote of the Week:
"Don't use words too big for the subject. Don't say 'infinitely' when you mean 'very'. Otherwise you'll have no word left when you want to talk about something really infinite."— C.S. Lewis

There are some bits in this story that may as well be said with less words. For example, this paragraph:

I maneuver into a parking space, my method nowhere near within the realm of acceptable parking – though that isn't entirely due to the stress, I must admit – I notice Mrs. Webb standing at the entrance of the single-storey, red-brick building. It dawns on me, as I slide out of the drivers seat, that her hair is almost indiscernible against the background of wall. The dark copper shade resembles the bricks so closely that I cannot help but question whether it qualifies as a plausible coincidence. Who knows where people find the inspiration to dye their hair?

Okay, this is not exactly as in the Quote of the Week, but I think you know that all those words aren't so necessary. Fine description, but slightly too wordy. Also, as a sidenote: Ditch that last sentence of the paragraph; it's unneeded.

The story was also, in some bits, a little hard to understand because of this issue, but that's probably just because I'm not a native English speaker, and thus don't know all the bigger and rarer words. Practice makes perfect, though. :)

Miscellaneous:

Since [s]that day, when[/s] I received that dreadful "Ma'am, I'm afraid your husband has left the premises, along with another member of our AA rehab group," phone call, it has all been going in a downward spiral.

Coiling her light blonde hair around her fingers with one hand, the thumb of the other finds her mouth, and then she is still. Watching us adults go about our business calmly.

Do something to that last sentence; it can't be as it is now, because there is no personified verb – and thus, can't be a real sentence. Maybe if you made it part of the previous one? Hmm, maybe it's too long then. Think about it.

Thank God.

I don't think this needs to be italicized, because it's from her POV nevertheless.

“Daniel.” I say.

Period should be a comma. This is not the only bit like this, however, there are bits when you do it correctly, like this:
“Let’s go home,” I tell him.

Last, but not least: Why did Alicia start crying when Daniel arrived? The narrator expresses Alicia's loving way of talking about her 'daddy', and how separating her from him would be 'devastating'. Then why is the girl so shocked when her loved father picks her up? It was a little odd in my opinion.

And actually, it was also a bit odd how the narrator seems to fear/dislike Daniel – apparently he's also threatened to kidnap Alicia – but still takes him home with them in the end. She was sending rather mixed messages of Daniel throughout the story, I think.

Well, I don't know whether the contest is still going, but good luck with that! I think you have a chance, despite the fact I may have sounded a little harsh at some parts. The plot was interesting, and the ending was happy, yet a little sad and suspicious. I liked the tone of the ending.

So thanks for the read, and if you have questions or anything, just PM me!

Demeter
xxx
"Your jokes are scarier than your earrings." -Twit

"14. Pretend like you would want him even if he wasn't a prince. (Yeah, right.)" -How to Make a Guy Like You - Disney Princess Style

Got YWS?

145 Reviews

Sat Feb 21, 2009 3:26 pm
deleted2 says...

Thank you for the review, dear ^^ it's very helpful!

I'm not a native English speaker either, by the way ;) I learned to speak English when I was ten.

XxxDo

140 Reviews

Reviews: 140
Sat Feb 21, 2009 10:59 pm
View Likes
Kalliope says...

Hello XxxDo ^_^

sorry, for taking so long, but I guess now I'm here, so that's good.

I was just looking over Demeter's review and had to laugh, because I, too, found some bits of the story too wordy, but wasn't going to say anything about it, because I thought that was due to my limited vocabulary. (Native English speaker, but not living in an English-speaking country. By the way, what is your native language, Do? XD PM me or something, we should talk about languages and stuff!)

Aaanyway, I'll leave you on your own considering the question whether to make it less wordy in places or not, but there are a few other things I'd like to talk about:

First of all I wanted to tell you that I really enjoyed reading this. I love your main character and Daniel and her daughter as well are perfectly lovable. In the beginning I kind of expected this to end really depressing with her taking the child away from Daniel and leaving him for good, which would have been realistic as well, but I am so very glad that she didn't.

The ending you chose is realistic, but also wonderfully hopeful. You have managed to keep the fine balance between those two things. It's not the Disney movie ending, where everything turns out perfectly, we don't know whether it will or not, but we do know that it could. Kudos, for that.

Characters, as I said, wonderful. I've been thinking about character development a lot lately, and you managed to perfectly satisfy me. I especially like the voice of your narrator, how she takes all these expressions like having two left feet and gives them her own little twist. Very wonderful.

The coin drops, so to speak, [...]

:shock: So you CAN say that in English?! You just made my day.

Two Things:

In other words, dream on. Driving really isn't that easy.

I really like this part and the paragraph about unrealistic Hollywood car chases. The reference to he car chases effectively shows under what kind of stress she is and just how the situation feels to her. Emphasis on the thought of her daughter being kidnapped here, which is good. However I think you could make the comparison even clearer, if you would make the "driving" in the quoted part less general. Not say "driving really isn't that easy", but "driving under these circumstances really isn't that easy." (Just a sketch to convey what I'm talking about.)

“She loves me… I love her, Babe, I love you, please… I’m not a bad daddy...” despair seeps through his words, his eyes wide with an almost juvenile incomprehension. “I left the cash money, Babe… I’m not a bad husband, I left you the money!”

“You thought you could make a trade? Our daughter for a stack of bills?” my voice breaks as disbelief bubbles to the surface. “She’s the most important thing I have, Daniel, and you know that. You knew that. You’d realize if you stopped killing yourself with that booze of yours, damn it!”

This part right here confuses me a bit. The sentence where he says that he left her the money doesn't sound to me like he wants to make a trade. It sounds like he wants to prove he cares about his daughter, he wants to help provide for her. Not like he wants to trade for her. I think it's the "I'm not a bad daddy". Further the "I'm not a bad husband" makes me think he wants to help provide for your narrator as well.

The entire kidnapping idea, is based on what Daniel did in the past and the conclusions your main character draws. But In this part here it doesn't really sound like he left the money to distract her or buy himself into being able to see his daughter. More like he wants to prove he wants to do better, that he wants to help provide for them, that he cares. ("I'm not a bad daddy", "I'm not a bad husband" in conjunction with "I left the money" certainly make it sound that way.)

Somehow the kidnapping scheme needs to be based on what Daniel says a bit more and a little bit less on her conclusions, if you see where I'm coming from? (I'll be glad to explain, should this no be clear.) It needs to be explained more from Daniel's point of view. Especially the role of the money in the plan, since that's what the contest is about. Just make his intentions clearer through him and not her conclusions and thoughts.

Other than those two things, I really loved it. Wonderfully hopeful story told through a great voice.

Good luck with the contest, hope this helped!

All the best,
~Kalliope

P.S: PM me with any questions. No hesitations, please!
If you don't know where you are going, any road will take you there. - Lewis Carol (1832-98 )

Got YWS?

62 Reviews

Reviews: 62
Sat Feb 21, 2009 11:53 pm
View Likes
happy-go-lucky says...

Heya Dorine!

First of all, I think you've got a really interesting take on the task set for the competition and I wish you the best of luck! You highlight the MC's struggle with her husbands alcaholism really well. *gives a gold star*

I have a few nitpicks for you:

I am capable of single-handedly knocking quite some economic value off the property.

Personally, I'd insert an "of" in between "off" and "the".

As adrenaline joyrides through my veins,

Nice :D

As everyone knows; what goes up, must come down.

This line has a nice effect but maybe try an "and" infront of it?

Drifting leisurely in circles, Benjamin Franklin’s portrait watches me with his pouty expression - oddly reminding me of a child who has been denied a fiftieth piggyback ride because their father's joints are acting up. The thought provokes a fleeting smile.

Again, nicely put. This gives a great image in my opinion :D

The thought of my daughter eggs me on,

I think you need a stronger word than "eggs" here. Maybe something like "pushes" or "forces".

A thought crosses my mind, and I straigten up slightly - tense.

Typo. Straigten = straighten

Or fromhis personal funds, maybe?

Again typo. Fromhis = from his.

- - - -

In short, well done! This is a really well written piece! Keep up the good work and as i said before: good luck in the contest! :D

Happy-go-lucky
"A dreamer is one who can only find his way by moonlight, and his punishment is that he sees the dawn before the rest of the world"
- Oscar Wilde

Work expands to fill the time available for its completion.
— C. Northcote Parkinson