z

Young Writers Society

A Strange Haunting

108 Reviews

Reviews: 108
Fri Nov 07, 2008 12:05 am
KailaMarie says...

I was just thinking, and this thought came to me. I don't know if I'll do anythign with it. Critiques are hugely appreciated!!

“Mr. and Mrs. Hampton, I need to talk to you in the other room. Can you just follow me over here?” I heard muffled sobs and a faint constant rustle sound.

I heard this, but I didn’t exist. I had my eyes as wide open as possible but saw nothing. I was sitting down, but I didn't feel anything under me. I reached up to touch my face, but my hand didn’t feel anything there, nor did my face. I screamed, but my mouth wasn’t open, my vocal cords weren’t there, my throat didn't feel scratchy after. I didn’t exist. I wasn't scared, though. I'd gotten used to it by now.

I heard a heavy sigh, probably a male. “The surgery didn’t go quite as planned. You see, there were a few complications.” The sobs got heavier, just as the rustling noise became almost frantic. “She knew the risks going into the surgery, and we did warn her of those risks, however it was still a necessary procedure."

A thick course voice from the other side of the room answered, “Is she alive?” The voice broke on almost every word.

There was a long uncomfortable silence from both of the male voices. The sobbing grew louder, gasping for air which it seemed the person couldn’t seem to get enough of before letting out another cry.

The calm voice answered, “I am very sorry for your loss…”

The sounds faded away.

“Are you the daughter of a Ms. Randolph?” I heard another strangely calm voice say.

“Yes. Is my mom ok?” He was frantic, too young.

“Can I, um, talk to you in the other room, please?” I sensed more distress than the first calm voice. This one sounded younger. This was probably their first expirience.

Footsteps on linoleum. Then dead silence.

“The procedure did take longer than expected, and a few unexpected complications came up…”

The sounds faded away again.

I was annoyed that I couldn't do anything or see anything. Day after day hearing people hear about their dying loved ones was not an ideal way to spend time.

I had the faint feeling of being pushed forward, but I don’t know how I could tell. I didn’t feel any air resistance and didn’t feel anything pass me by. I started to pick up speed. I picked up voices here and there, some under such emotional pain it can’t even be described, while others laughed away a lunch break. It was a cold irony.

I was suddenly stopped. Maybe I was finally out of the hospital. Maybe I was away from all the tear stained faces and painfully calm voices. I strained to hear or see anything, to figure out where I could possibly be. I tried to make a sound. I heard a faint whoosh of air.

Was that really me? I tried again, but the whoosh was even wispier. Then I didn’t move at all. Everything felt tired. If nothing could feel tired.

I would try one more time. If it works, then I might still have a chance. Maybe I actually do exist.

I tried to scream in frustration. I just wanted out of this abyss. I wanted to feel again. I wanted to smell, jump, sing, laugh, dance, and cry. I wanted to exist. I wanted a sense of time, of love, of anything. I wanted to have pain and joy. I wanted to know my family, feel patriotic, celebrate my birthday. Celebrate anything. I wanted to be me. Whoever that was. I wanted a second chance. So I screamed and screamed until finally I heard, way off in the distance, a tiny little squeak. I barely heard it; it could have been anything, but it wasn’t. It was mine.

I pushed harder. I needed a noise. I kept screaming, and that noise started to get stronger. Sure, it wavered and trembled, and sure it still sounded like a mouse could whisper, and it would be lost, but that didn’t matter. What did matter was that it was mine. It was my noise, and I wasn’t going to let it go without a fight.

Abruptly, my noise stopped. It was lost. I felt a weight on me like I hadn’t for as long as I could remember. This feeling felt familiar, but I couldn’t place it; the name was just out of the reach of my memory. I focused all my thoughts on thinking of the name of this one feeling. I don’t know how long it was until I remembered it, but finally it came to me. Disappointment.

One set of hands began to clap, and I jumped, figuratively, in surprise.

“Decent for your first try, but you can do better,” the voice said. I didn’t try to answer because I didn’t know if I was capable, and I didn’t want to interrupt. I was fairly positive the voice was speaking directly to me, however. No one had for the longest time. “You conquered your first feeling on your own. That one is the most challenging for most people, especially at such a young age. I’d almost thought you’d be stuck in that hospital forever, eavesdropping on people getting bad news.” I heard a tisk sound. After a few minutes, the voice continued, “What, so you’re not going to answer me?”

I was surprised by this again. That reaction felt new and raw, and I wasn’t sure if I liked it or not. I knew I didn’t like disappointment.

“Am I supposed to?” I said without meaning to. I’d thought it, and it just came out. There surprise was again, almost making fun of my ignorance and confusion. Maybe I didn’t like surprise.

“Well, a one sided conversation isn’t really that interesting, don’t you agree?”

“I don’t know.”

“Of course you don’t. I’m sorry, I’m getting ahead of myself. I should tell you what I’m doing here. I’ve come to you because you want a second chance. You died, and not very graciously, I might add, you moped around that hospital for years, haunting people you didn’t even know. Frankly, I never thought you would decide.”

“Decide what? And I didn’t mean to haunt people. I didn’t know I was…”

“I know you didn’t. You just didn’t want to let go. And now that you’ve finally decided whether you want a second chance or not, you can just get on with it. You do seem to want another chance, so that’s what I’m here for.”

“Another chance at what?” Confusion wasn’t my favorite emotion, either. I started to hope these got better. So far, I wasn’t sure that I liked my decision.

“Life, of course. Now open you’re eyes, and we’ll get going.”
Last edited by KailaMarie on Mon Dec 15, 2008 3:12 am, edited 2 times in total.
... :D ...
[url]spottedturtle.tumblr.com[/url]

197 Reviews

Reviews: 197
Fri Nov 07, 2008 11:41 am
olivia1987uk says...

Hello hello hello!! How are we?

Anyway, I'll crack straight on with this....

heard muffled sobs and a faint constant rustle sound.

It should be "rustling"

I heard this, but I didn’t exist. I had my eyes as wide open as possible but saw nothing. I was sitting down, but I didn‘t feel anything under me. I reached up to touch my face, but my hand didn’t feel anything there, nor did my face. I screamed, but my mouth wasn’t open, my vocal cords weren’t there, my throat didn’t feel scratchy after. I didn’t exist.

How many sentences are you going to start with "I"? If you are going to use this is a literary tool, you need to stress it a bit more...this applie to some of the paragraphs that follow as well....

One set of hands began to clap, and I jumped (figuratively) in surprise.

Use commas instead of brackets....

Other than thse things, I think its an OK piece...could be better and i think the content is something that is slightly overdone....make it more believeable with more descriptive loanguage an I think it'll work
Olivia
xxx
If you wake up in the morning and all you can think of is writing, then you're a writer...

842 Reviews

Reviews: 842
Sat Nov 08, 2008 12:21 am
ashleylee says...

I agree with olivia. I think that this was a decent piece. I mean, there are so many directions you could go with this; so many angles, ways, ect. But I mean, you have to set it up first.

This start was really good in the beginning, but it just ended up fizzling at th end and poof! it was done. I think you need to work on building up the suspense instead of draining it out until the reader looses interest. Also, try to be clear on what happened. If she was haunting this hosipital for years, wouldn't she realize? And if she didn't, how come? Answer these questions somewhere in there.

Otherwise, I thought it was pretty good. It has potential. Just keep working and it will slowly improve.

Good luck!
"Woe to the man whose heart has not learned while young to hope, to love—and to put his trust in life."
~ Joseph Conrad

"Music washes away from the soul the dust of everyday life."
~ Red Auerbach

273 Reviews

Reviews: 273
Tue Dec 16, 2008 6:58 pm
Lost_in_dreamland says...

was just thinking, and this thought came to me. I don't know if I'll do anythign with it. Critiques are hugely appreciated!!

“Mr. and Mrs. Hampton, I need to talk to you in the other room. CanI'd use will here, my dad has this annoying habit of saying yes I can open your juice, as in, I am capable. So maybe have will you follow me over here. *shrugs* just seems to fit better. you just follow me over here?” I heard muffled sobs and a faint constant rustle sound.

I heard this, but I didn’t exist. I had my eyes as wide open as possible but saw nothing. I was sitting down, but I didn't feel anything under me. I reached up to touch my face, but my hand didn’t feel anything there, nor did my face. I screamed, but my mouth wasn’t open, my vocal cords weren’t there, my throat didn't feel scratchy after. Maybe take a single line for
I didn't exist
I didn’t exist. I wasn't scared, though. I'd gotten used to it by now.

I heard a heavy sigh, probably a male. “The surgery didn’t go quite as planned. You see, there were a few complications.” The sobs got heavier, just as the rustling noise became almost frantic. “She knew the risks going into the surgery, and we did warn her of those risks, however it was still a necessary procedure."

A thick coursecoarse voice from the other side of the room answered, “Is she alive?” The voice broke on almost every word.

There was a long uncomfortable silence from both of the male voices. The sobbing grew louder, gasping for air which it seemed the person couldn’t seem to get enough of before letting out another cry.

The calm voice answered, “I am very sorry for your loss…”

The sounds faded away.

“Are you the daughter of a Ms. Randolph?” I heard another strangely calm voice say.

“Yes. Is my mom ok?” He was frantic, too young.

“Can I, um, talk to you in the other room, please?” I sensed more distress than the first calm voice. This one sounded younger. This was probably their first expirience.

Footsteps on linoleum.That line is absolutely beautiful. Unexplainably beautiful. But it is ;) Then dead silence.

“The procedure didI'd never use the word did in this context, unless you were using it in italics. I'd either have
The procedure took longer than expected or
The procedure did take longer than expected
if you get my drift :D
take longer than expected, and a few unexpected complications came up…”

The sounds faded away again.

I was annoyed that I couldn't do anything or see anything. Day after day hearing people hear about their dying loved ones was not an ideal way to spend time.

I had the faint feeling of being pushed forward, but I don’t know how I could tell. I didn’t feel any air resistance and didn’t feel anything pass me by. I started to pick up speed. I picked up voices here and there, some under such emotional pain it can’t even be described, while others laughed away a lunch break. It was a cold irony. I adore that paragraph. Great work ;)

I was suddenly stopped. Maybe I was finally out of the hospital. Maybe I was away from all the tear stained faces and painfully calm voices. I strained to hear or see anything, to figure out where I could possibly be. I tried to make a sound. I heard a faint whoosh of air.

Was that really me? I tried again, but the whoosh was even wispier. Then I didn’t move at all. Everything felt tired. If nothing could feel tired.

I would try one more time. If it works, then I might still have a chance. Maybe I actually do exist.It changes tense here. It should be, maybe I actually did exist, if it worked, then I might still have had a chance.

I tried to scream in frustration. I just wanted out of this abyss. I wanted to feel again. I wanted to smell, jump, sing, laugh, dance, and cry. Again; I think this should have a line to itself, by this I'm referring to
I wanted to exist
xD, great description btw :D
I wanted to exist. I wanted a sense of time, of love, of anything. I wanted to have pain and joy. I wanted to know my family, feel patriotic, celebrate my birthday. Celebrate anything. I wanted to be me. Whoever that was. I wanted a second chance. So I screamed and screamed until finally I heard, way off in the distance, a tiny little squeak. I barely heard it; it could have been anything, but it wasn’t. It was mine.

I pushed harder. I needed a noise. I kept screaming, and that noise started to get stronger. Sure, it wavered and trembled, and sure it still sounded like a mouse could whisper, and it would be lost, but that didn’t matter. What did matter was that it was mine. It was my noise, and I wasn’t going to let it go without a fight.

Abruptly, my noise stopped. It was lost. I felt a weight on me like I hadn’t for as long as I could remember. This feeling felt familiar, but I couldn’t place it; the name was just out of the reach of my memory. I focused all my thoughts on thinking of the name of this one feeling. I don’t know how long it was until I remembered it, but finally it came to me.Line of its own? Disappointment.

One set of hands began to clap, and I jumped, figuratively, in surprise.

“Decent for your first try, but you can do better,” the voice said. I didn’t try to answer because I didn’t know if I was capable, and I didn’t want to interrupt. I was fairly positive the voice was speaking directly to me, however. No one had for the longest time. “You conquered your first feeling on your own. That one is the most challenging for most people, especially at such a young age. I’d almost thought you’d be stuck in that hospital forever, eavesdropping on people getting bad news.” I heard a tisk sound. After a few minutes, the voice continued, “What, so you’re not going to answer me?”

I was surprised by this again. That reaction felt new and raw, and I wasn’t sure if I liked it or not. I knew I didn’t like disappointment.

“Am I supposed to?” I said without meaning to. I’d thought it, and it just came out. There surprise was again, almost making fun of my ignorance and confusion. Maybe I didn’t like surprise.

“Well, a one sided conversation isn’t really that interesting, don’t you agree?”

“I don’t know.”

“Of course you don’t. I’m sorry, I’m getting ahead of myself. I should tell you what I’m doing here. I’ve come to you because you want a second chance. You died, and not very graciously, I might add, you moped around that hospital for years, haunting people you didn’t even know. Frankly, I never thought you would decide.”

“Decide what? And I didn’t mean to haunt people. I didn’t know I was…”

“I know you didn’t. You just didn’t want to let go. And now that you’ve finally decided whether you want a second chance or not, you can just get on with it. You do seem to want another chance, so that’s what I’m here for.”

“Another chance at what?” Confusion wasn’t my favorite emotion, either. I started to hope these got better. So far, I wasn’t sure that I liked my decision.

“Life, of course. Now open you’re eyes, and we’ll get going.”

I really liked this. Interesting topic, not cliched, yet not totally crazy. Enigmatic, intriguing.... everything a good story should be. Perhaps you need to watch your tenses but it is good. The grammar is well done and the story is well presented from an interesting POV. Keep this up ;) Scampers off to review the rest of the stuff you want me to ;)

-Kirsten xxx
for what are we without words and stories?

The first thing I do when I have a good quote is always to put a goat in it. uwu
— Liminality