z

Young Writers Society

God Still Loves You (4)

2058 Reviews

Reviews: 2058
Sat May 31, 2008 3:14 pm
Emerson says...

019. All Stairs Lead To Hell
I would tell Nina how I felt when I ate the last cookie. I promised it to myself. I promised myself my own death.
Tutoring continued as always, but with growing interruptions. Every time I said the word “math”, Nina had an excuse ready. Pick apples, sort the dish towels, dust the living room…Every excuse was a chore, and today was no different.
She dropped all her books on the couch, and as soon as the words could escape her lips, Nina said, “You should see my basement.”
I thought there was something down there, a dead animal, a giant Jesus Fish, something important she wanted me to see; but when she opened the door which led to complete darkness, I knew otherwise.
“There are cobwebs the size of Texas down there, I swear.” She started down the first step, with her hand in the air, searching for the railing. Just the way she took the first step, I could see the faith in it. She trusted God would hold her up. “I want to git them down, but I need your help.”
“Can’t reach?” I asked. I followed her down the stairs, but with less faith. I kept my hand on the railing.
Finally, her hand flicked a switch. I smelled the dust before I saw it. “Don’t you be makin’ fun,” she muttered as she grabbed a broom.
Apart from the dust, the only things that occupied Nina’s basement were an old couch with bright-orange flower patterns, and loneliness. The basement look neglected, and made me think that if there was a floor plan for heaven and hell, Heaven would be everything above Nina’s basement. That left hell to be everything below the house.
Nina swatted at webs in a corner, but missed them all. As I walked to her, I felt the dank air sticking to my skin. It grabbed me and rubbed its dirty hands on my skin, begging that I come deeper into its grubby palm. It was thick, like walking through Jell-o.
“You gunna help me get these down or no?” she asked.
I shrugged. “How am I supposed to help?”
She waved the broom in my face, giggling. “Ya can pick me up, cantcha?”
“Oh…yeah.”
I didn’t think it was real when my hands wrapped around her waist. I thought I was dreaming; myself standing so close to her, so close that I could breathe on her neck and see the little hairs stand on end. Her hips had the curve of a beer bottle, but with less depravity, and I knew I never wanted to let go.
“Will it hurt if I lift you here?” I whispered.
“You won’t hurt me none.”
I gripped tighter, and lifted. I tried not to think, and instead put all my effort into keeping her from falling. I thought for certain I would drop her, and she would break, and then…But I thought even more about the fact that my fingers were touching her waist, in such close proximity to her navel, to her legs, to her thighs, inside her thighs…
“Hold me still!” she shouted. Nina waved from side to side, and each time she swatted at the webs, she missed. She looked like like a baseball player with less clue than a cornflake.
I heard a laugh escape from her lips as I tried to keep her still. I wanted to stare at the wall, at the floor. My hands are touching her…but if I stared in any other direction I would drop her. So I didn’t think about where my hands were. I didn’t think of how I could feel her bones just under the skin, how they felt like bird bones, thin and hollow. When she leaned forward to swat the web one last time, her shirt rose up in the back, and I saw the very edge of her underwear. My face felt as though it were pressed against the fires of hell.
“Got it!”
I put her down immediately.
She giggled while I leaned over, breathing heavy. The air scraped out of my lungs and pushed passed my lips, making an awful sound.
“You look real beat. Am I a fat cow or somethin’?” She kept giggling.
No, it wasn’t you at all, Nina. You’re so light. What are you, eighty pounds? No, I was just touching your butt, that’s all. It makes me nervous, so I can’t breathe.
“I’m just not used to holding people for extended periods of time. But I’m fine.”
Nina held the broom like a soldier held his gun; against her shoulder with the handle in her palm. “Good! ‘cause there’s lots more corners.”
We did this twice more, until I begged for a break. By then, it was the lifting alone that strained me.
I saw dust fly in the air when I flopped down onto the aged couch. Nina flopped down next to me. I tried not to think about the corners we still had to clean. I wanted to ration out all this touching, like I had her cookies. I wished, now, that I hadn’t eaten them all just yet.
She stared at me. She did it often, but it was never uncomfortable. I always understood that she stared through people, trying to see God on the other side of a wretched, human form. When I whispered her name, I could see the shift in her eyes—she was looking right into my soul, now.
“Nina, can I tell you something?”
She nodded.
“I think you’re beautiful.” It came out. I didn’t understand it—but it came out, like nothing.
Laughing, she waved it off. “Well, heck, I think you’re beautiful too!”
“No, Nina, you don’t understand.” I leaned a little closer.
“What isn’t there to understand? You’ve got your pretty green eyes, and your naturally dark hair. Why I wish my hair—”
“It’s dyed…”
For a while, I stared at my fingers, trying to imagine them around her hips again. I couldn’t believe anything was coming out of my mouth. I wanted to hide under the stairwell or get out her door entirely. My heart was in my throat, suffocating me, and I could feel my stomach squish between my toes. But my voice was still there.
“What does God say about homosexuals?”
She looked confused, then became her old self. “God says that it’s wrong but I still think he loves them. They won’t go to heaven or nothin’ so’s some people say, but I don’t know for certain.”
Ask why. She would ask why. I waited to see if she would ask why.
“Nina, I really like you.”
It sounded all wrong. It was false. It didn’t mean anything, or it did but it meant the wrong thing, or maybe it meant what it should, but it shouldn’t come out of my lips, and now she would really kill me. She’d tell her dad and he’d have their whole congregation hunt me down and stone me. I could hear them crying: sinner!
“How do you mean?”
Four words. Four words I couldn’t reply to. How? I mean like the way a guy loves a girl, the way two people go crazy for each other and do a Romeo and Juliet because they hate their parents, the way people have sex and there is a baby but they get married anyway only to realize in the end they really love each other—baby or no baby—they just needed a reason to open their eyes wider.
I stared into her eyes, those deep, green and gold puddles that offered me so much comfort. She looked so calm, so gentle. Nothing she could have said would hurt me, if only because she looked so gentle.
“When…I say I really like you,” deep breath, “I mean that…” Whatever I planned to say, it wouldn’t form on my tongue and be spit out. I tried, with my mouth open, to say it. No, it wouldn’t.
I leaned closer, until I let my fingers crawl up her side and to her neck, holding her softly, like a mother holds her baby, and I pushed my lips against hers. You couldn’t call it a kiss. They pushed together, then they were apart again. The space between them was so much larger than the moment they had been together that it didn’t matter. There wasn’t even the sound lips make when they kiss, it just was.
My lips tingled, and again my face was pressed firm into the fires of hell. She still looked calm, and I wanted to find somewhere to die, alone.
Nina didn’t say anything. She only stared. Always calm, the same calm look. I couldn’t see her mind; I didn’t know what she was thinking. Only staring…
“Oh.”
It was a noise, I could hardly hear it. It must have slipped out of her unknowingly. Just a strange confirmation of what I had done.
I sunk into the dirty couch cushions. I stared at the giant webs instead of at her, wondering if we’d knock those down later, if I would get one more chance to hold her, before she threw me out of her life altogether.
A figure eclipsed my view. I felt it before I understood: something warm was against me, breathing on me, something human with life, and movement.
Nymphet-like and clumsy, Nina leaned over my lap and pushed her face into mine. Our lips pressed together again, but worse than before. They missed entirely, and I kissed—rubbed with my lips—her left dimple.
Then I saw the webs again, in the corner, disgusting and extensive.
Before I could come to terms with what had happened, Nina was on her feet holding the broom, like it hadn’t happened at all.
“We should get the other webs done ‘fore we forget all together.” She held her hand out to me, the angel reaching to pull the sinner from hell.
Had Trisha slipped something into my drink? Was I really lying in my trailer a bad trip?
No, because there she stood, with a big smile and a broom, waiting for me to take her hand.
We didn’t talk about it. I couldn’t even be sure it had happened. It only existed in my memory, and if we didn’t speak of it, then it must not have happened. No. I did not kiss her, and she did not kiss me. But I knew something had happened.
Nina had sinned.
“It's necessary to have wished for death in order to know how good it is to live.”
― Alexandre Dumas, The Count of Monte Cristo

713 Reviews

Reviews: 713
Sat May 31, 2008 5:29 pm
BigBadBear says...

Suz! You didn't PM me when this came out! Well, I'm gonna be the first to critique!

Tutoring continued as always, but with growing interruptions. Every time I said the word “math”, Nina had an excuse ready. Pick apples, sort the dish towels, dust the living room…Every excuse was a chore, and today was no different.

There needs to be a space after the [...]

Wow. That was really amazing. I love the way that you compared the basement with hell, and just everything flowed naturally. I loved the internal conflict inside of the MC (I forget her name). Anyway, it was wonderful, as always. I couldn't make it better!

PM me the with the update next time?

-Jared
Just write -- the rest of life will follow.

Would love help on this.

672 Reviews

Reviews: 672
Sun Jun 01, 2008 4:16 am
Squall says...

Yay part 4.

She dropped all her books on the couch, and as soon as the words could escape her lips, Nina said, “You should see my basement.”

Ooo foreshadowing.

When she leaned forward to swat the web one last time, her shirt rose up in the back, and I saw the very edge of her underwear. My face felt as though it were pressed against the fires of hell.

Clever metaphor.

I leaned closer, until I let my fingers crawl up her side and to her neck, holding her softly, like a mother holds her baby, and I pushed my lips against hers. You couldn’t call it a kiss. They pushed together, then they were apart again. The space between them was so much larger than the moment they had been together that it didn’t matter. There wasn’t even the sound lips make when they kiss, it just was.

Epic and genuine. Kudos to you here.

Overall impressions:

Wow, I think this is the best part so far. This is truly a powerful scene. I really like how you slowly build up to the moment with your imagery and setting descriptions.

What really made "God still loves you" so unique is that religious and sexual undertones are handled so innocently that it's like children's television programmes (eg: Barney) that educates children on the theme of "loving one another", but much less corny and with much more depth to it.
I was actually smiling when I was reading this, it was really sweet and nice.

I still think you need to explore more of the "mathematical" aspect. It is used so far as a way to get them to meet one another as well as to distinguish them from one another, but I don't think it's as explored as it should have been. You could replace it with say science and it won't change the narrative structure of it much.

But overall, I'm so gonna gold star this part, I'll be a noob if I don't.

Andy.

Keep going! I want more!
"To the edge of the universe and back. Endure and survive."

145 Reviews

Reviews: 145
Sun Jun 01, 2008 7:58 am
deleted2 says...

:D

I'm gonna read it right now ! You were supposed to PM me when you put it up, remember ?? :wink:

XxxDo

145 Reviews

Reviews: 145
Mon Jun 02, 2008 3:56 pm
deleted2 says...

I LOVED it :D

Yea I do realize I've said that about 500 times since I read part one, but thats because the stories are simply awesome :D

Hope the review helps, although there isn't all that much to really critique on!

PM ME WHEN PART 5 IS UP !! :wink:

XxxDo
Attachments
Edit 4 by XxxDo for Suzanne.doc
:D
(39 KiB) Downloaded 52 times

721 Reviews

Reviews: 721
Wed Jun 04, 2008 12:39 am
View Likes
Azila says...

That's so sweet. This isn't the last part, is it? *braces herself for the answer that she dreads but thinks is true*

I think you should change "Nina" to "she." We already know who you're talking about (who else could it be?) so saying the name is repetitive.

Apart from the dust, the only things that occupied Nina’s basement were an old couch with bright-orange flower patterns, and loneliness.
For some reason, this confused me at first. Maybe there should be one more material thing down there? Like a chair, or lamp or something? Or, if you don't want to add another thing, I suggest replacing the comma after "patterns" with a dash.

The basement look neglected, and made me think that if there was a floor plan for heaven and hell, Heaven would be everything above Nina’s basement. That left hell to be everything below the house.
Interesting idea for a metaphor... a bit explicit (because they meet in heaven and sin in hell), but interesting. I think it would be better if in earlier sections you elaborated on the fact that Nina's house reminds her of heaven... even if it's subtle. Also, I'm not so crazy about the wording. May I? Thank you: "The neglected basement made me think that if there was a floor plan for heaven and hell, Heaven would be everything above the basement. That left hell to be everything below the house." Also, you should definitely be more consistent with capitalization of the words "heaven" and "hell." ^_~

It was thick, like walking through Jell-o.
This isn't really needed. You describe so wonderfully the dank air down there in the sentences previous, that this one actually rather ruins the feel.

…but if I stared in any other direction I would drop her.
I think there should be a comma after "direction."

So I didn’t think about where my hands were. I didn’t think of how I could feel her bones just under the skin, how they felt like bird bones, thin and hollow.
This is almost-repetition. To make it true repetition, either make them both "So I don't think of..." or "So I don't think about..."

Nina held the broom like a soldier held his gun; against her shoulder with the handle in her palm.
This is awkward phrasing. Try saying: "Nina held the broom like a soldier would hold his gun..."

By then, it was the lifting alone that strained me.
I know what you're trying to say here, but I don't think it's coming across clearly. This makes it seem as though the other straining aspect has worn off, leaving only the physical lifting. If I were you, I'd say something like: "By then, the lifting alone would have strained me."

I tried, with my mouth open, to say it. No, it wouldn’t.
This is confusing. I didn't understand it for the longest time. Now (after rereading a few times), I don't really see why I didn't understand it before, but I think I do. All the "its" get confusing. First, "it" refers to what she wants to say, then "it" refers to her open mouth. You don't absolutely have to change it, I guess, but you might want to consider it.

--------------------------------

Wow.

I love the last line... because it's true on the surface, but deep down, it isn't. I think it would have been much more of a sin to through her out of the house, or even get angry. What Nina did was the most angelic thing she could have done, I think. Which, in a way, even though it makes Josie happy (obviously) also must make her upset, because throughout the whole piece she's always comparing her dirty soul to the shining, spotless soul that's Nina's. I just love all the layers of it!

But Nina doesn't seem very layered. She seems perfect. I know that that's the way Josie sees her, and it's told from Josie's point of view, but there should still be something about her to make me dislike her. I mean in real life, sometimes religious fundamentalists can be creepy, but that's not a personality flaw... it just has to do with you you're raised, really.

I still don't really relate to Josie much. I know how she feels, but there's a big difference between knowing how someone feels and relating to them. This part IS better than the previous, but I'm still not quite satisfied. And I'm not quite sure what's wrong with the characterization, so I'm not quite sure how you can cure it. Maybe it's the same problem as I addressed in one of the previous sections (I don't remember which...) which is that you describe one aspect of -- in this case -- emotion, but not the others. Everything has two sides, including emotion. Maybe you need to go into more detail about the different aspects? I'm not sure if that's even the problem (or if that solution would actually work), but it sounds viable to me. :P And I can't really think of any other main flaws with your writing.

So. I'm pretty sure this was the last part (because it's a great ending), but if it's not, PM me when you post part five! Actually, could you PM me telling me if it is the last part? I just want to know, because I'll think about it differently in my mind if I know it's finished. :P

Thank you so much for providing the wonderful read. :D Let me know if there's something else of yours you want me to check out!

Hope this helps.
~Azila~

19 Reviews

Reviews: 19
Sat Jun 07, 2008 3:59 am
Ryukun7 says...

To start off, I think this story is AMAZING! I'm sorry I didn't critique the other parts, but I was so hooked that I kept reading! You are indeed the master of imagery, and I love how you develop the characters so well.

Indeed there are parts that seem to carry the characters to extremes(such as Nina's constant mentioning of God), but this still adds to the depth of the story. Another small critique. I noticed you used Jell-o to describe the thickness of the air. I believe you used Jell-o to describe something else one of the previous parts. I suggest using another word to get the point across.

Once again, wonderful work here. I can tell you really pay attention to detail, and you're meticulous with your writing. Hurry with the next part please!

387 Reviews

Reviews: 387
Mon Jun 09, 2008 10:21 pm
Kylan says...

As has been said before me, this was a very powerful scene. Very full and very indicative of your style. I enjoyed it, as always.

However, I think out of all the chapters, this one has the highest flaw count. I feel that Nina's acceptance of Josie's passion is a tad unrealistic, seeing as this girl is and always has been a very religious and pious individual. For one Nina knows what a homosexual is, she's pretty sure that homosexuality is a sin, and she has never shown an inkling of doubt in God. It just seems that with her naivete and rock-solid faith as such defining characteristics that she would be horrified at Josie's 'move'. I guess her acquiescense just doesn't fit with her personality? Once a religious fanatic always a religious fanatic?

Also, her dialect was on that border of tolerance again, but I suppose that now that I've gotten to know Nina, it doesn't bother me anymore. I suppose it's become a part of her. And I'm sure that sitting down and reading this from cover to cover would have a different effect on the the dialect reads as well. So... don't change anything there.

One thing I want. I want to be introduced/know more about Nina's father and Josie's family. I surprised that since her father is such a big part of Nina's life, that you haven't given a least a little insight into who he is and what he looks like. Maybe you're planning on wrapping things up that way with part 5? If not, I suppose it won't hurt the story. It just kind of leaves me guessing, yes?

Advice on writing part 5: I would really go back and try to tie up any loose ends the beginning introduced. It seems that this story is mainly comprised of short little vignettes and I feel that part 5 needs to solidify all the loose information you've tossed at us in parts 1, 2, 3, and 4. I dunno, maybe it's just me.

she missed. She looked like like a baseball player with less clue than a cornflake

I'm not fond of this simile. It's a little too colloquial for me. What's more, it doesn't render the powerful imagery that rest of your metaphors and similes do.

Ya can pick me up, cantcha

What about using a chair? Or a step ladder?

your naturally dark hair

The use of the word 'naturally' sounds really false and contrived. Cut it.

Was I really lying in my trailer a bad trip

I think you're missing a word. Does this look right, "Was I really lying in my trailer after a bad trip."

Anyway, I'll keep my open for part 5!

-Kylan
"I am beginning to despair
and can see only two choices:
either go crazy or turn holy."

- Serenade, Adélia Prado

798 Reviews

Reviews: 798
Tue Jun 10, 2008 5:07 am
View Likes
Areida says...

So, in order:

* Giant Jesus Fish. *gigglesnort*

* Hooray for show-don't-tell character contrast!

She started down the first step, with her hand in the air, searching for the railing. Just the way she took the first step, I could see the faith in it. She trusted God would hold her up. “I want to git them down, but I need your help.”

“Can’t reach?” I asked. I followed her down the stairs, but with less faith. I kept my hand on the railing.

* And dialect that works!

“Don’t you be makin’ fun,” she muttered as she grabbed a broom.

* A good sentence, somewhat dampened by a sad bout of redundancy:

Apart from the dust, the only things that occupied Nina’s basement were an old couch with bright-orange flower patterns, and loneliness. The basement look neglected, and made me think that if there was a floor plan for heaven and hell, Heaven would be everything above Nina’s basement. That left hell to be everything below the house.

I really like the first sentence, but I'm not a fan of the start of the second. Saying loneliness occupied the basement is so much more powerful than saying that it "looked neglected." Just kill that part. The heaven and hell stuff works, especially with all you've got going here, but be consistent in capitalization. I'm not a bazillion percent positive about the rules for this either way, but I think, since it's a first person narrative type thing, that just being consistent will suffice.

* Dialect that doesn't quite work:

A moment ago you used "git", but here you use "get." I'd say stick with "get", and rather than "gunna" use "gonna." I think those will suffice. Also, "fixin' to" is very country. My mother laughs at me when I say it. XD

* Shnazzy description, especially given who Josie is and where she comes from:

Her hips had the curve of a beer bottle, but with less depravity, and I knew I never wanted to let go.

* More fully-functional dialect!

"You won't hurt me none."

* A total DUM DUM DUUUUUUM moment:

We didn’t talk about it. I couldn’t even be sure it had happened. It only existed in my memory, and if we didn’t speak of it, then it must not have happened. No. I did not kiss her, and she did not kiss me. But I knew something had happened.

Nina had sinned.

Again, still very fluid, very readable, very realistic. I'm curious to see, though, if we ever run into Nina's parents...? Maybe not, since there's only one part to go. *inner sob*

Star for my Suz! :D
Got YWS?

"Most of us have far more courage than we ever dreamed we possessed."
- Dale Carnegie

250 Reviews

Reviews: 250
Wed Jun 11, 2008 5:54 pm
Night Mistress says...

This piece is really good. I like how you made Nina in Perfect girl with no faults and the another girl with no faults, so that they balance each together out. I have to say that I like this, so you can see I will read the next one. Well Ciao, until next time.
"I love you," she whispered in his ear, before taking his mouth with her own.

~Elizzabeth Grey of Addicting Posion

1464 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 1464
Fri Jun 13, 2008 9:26 pm
JabberHut says...

Suz!

Grammar and First Impressions

Apart from the dust, the only things that occupied Nina’s basement were an old couch with bright-orange flower patterns, [no comma] and loneliness.

You don't put a comma in a list of two items, ja? :wink:

The basement look neglected, [no comma] and made me think that if there was a floor plan for heaven and hell, Heaven would be everything above Nina’s basement.

I gripped tighter, [no comma] and lifted.

…but if I stared in any other direction, I would drop her.

We did this twice more, [no comma] until I begged for a break.

I could hear them crying: [s]sinner[/s] Sinner!

You could even put that in quotes if you wanted. ^^

Nina had sinned.

Awesome. Awesome in any and every definition of it. Awesome.

Plot

This definitely seems to be the climax of what's happening. They made a move, and now we can only want and see what will happen next. Everything that led to this moment was golden.

The beginning was excellent. The whole stairs scene was awesome, tying it with faith. That was my favorite part. And then the rest of it was its own animal.

Nina doesn't exactly say that homosexuality is a sin, so I don't see any issues with her actions. She says God still loves them, and she was, no doubt, thinking about whether or not kissing Josie would be good or bad in God's eyes. However, Nina doesn't seen to open herself that much to Josie. She's too cheerful, so we may not ever get to know what Nina thinks of the situation. To sum it up, I see no problems with this part of the piece.

I would like to see the parents' reaction if they ever find out, though. :wink:

Overall

This was awesome, of course. No further comments needed. Your work runs solely on dialogue with a few thought bubbles from Josie. It just works, though. It's not overwhelming, not hard to read. It's simple enough for the reader to understand what's happening and to use their imagination for what isn't exactly said.

Onward we go!

Keep writing!

Jabber, the One and Only!

**Edit: Crud, I didn't know this was the fourth one! There's one more to go! :cry:
I make my own policies.

136 Reviews

Reviews: 136
Sat Jun 14, 2008 6:25 pm
Leahweird says...

I've finnally decided to coment, but I've read them all, and enjoyed them.

I just want to say that I really love the contrast between Josie's growing feelings for nina, and what seems to be her increased awarness of religion.

I'm not sure if that was intentional, but I really like it.

438 Reviews

Reviews: 438
Tue Jun 17, 2008 6:27 pm
JFW1415 says...

Nit-Picks

She started down the first step, with her hand in the air, searching for the railing. Just the way she took the first step, I could see the faith in it. She trusted God would hold her up.

Then why's she searching for the railing? (Oh, later on she flicks a switch - did you mean she was searching for the switch?)

Either add an apostrophe after 'no' or make it 'not.'

“Hold me still!” she shouted.

I don't like that she shouted – doesn't seem right.

She looked like [s]like [/s]a baseball player with less clue than a cornflake.

When I whispered her name, I could see the shift in her eyes—she was looking right into my soul, now.

I'd ditch the comma before 'now.'

“It’s dyed…”

I don't like the ellipses here – I think it works better if she cuts her off abruptly.

Ask why. She would ask why. I waited to see if she would ask why.

A little odd – maybe reword? 'I waited to see if she would ask why. She would ask.' I don't know – actually, maybe just ditch the 'I waited to see if she would ask why?' The 'I' at the end of the paragraph bothered me. Actually, saying 'ask why' first makes it sound like she wants her to do that... gah.

It was a noise, I could hardly hear it.

Period of semi-colon, but not a comma. Maybe 'It was just a noise; I could hardly even hear it.'

I sunk into the dirty couch cushions. I stared at the giant webs instead of at her, wondering if we’d knock those down later, if I would get one more chance to hold her, before she threw me out of her life altogether.

I'd ditch the comma before 'before.' Also, I don’t like that both of these sentences start with 'I [action.]'

I felt it before I understood: something warm was against me, breathing on me, something human with life, and movement.

I'd ditch the comma after 'life.'

Had Trisha slipped something into my drink? Was I really lying in my trailer on a bad trip?

I forgot who Trisha was – she wasn't too memorable, especially after this…

Overall Comments

Duuuude. Freakin' amazing, as always.

You have the atmosphere set better here. If you just add a little bit more as she looks at Nina before being told to pick her up, it would be perfect.

Yet another gold star for you. :)

Now you better post part five!

~JFW1415/Jelly

Congratulations!
— Magestorrrow