Young Writers Society

God Still Loves You (3)

2058 Reviews

Reviews: 2058
Thu May 29, 2008 12:38 am
Emerson says...

012. Her Great Flood
Tuesday. Nina had youth group.
At lunch, I hid my face in my hair. I had never seen her in the cafeteria, but maybe she was good at hiding. Maybe she would find me and accuse me in front of everyone. Josie touched my hand. Josie stroked my knuckle. Josie loves…
Lucy, the devil worshiper, was sitting next to me. “So, I was at the graveyard last night,” like almost all her stories started, “and this thing, it was like a total spirit thing, I swear, it came out of the ground and like… it talked to me.”
She wasn’t speaking to me. Elijah, the mourning of nothing, sat across from us, and Trisha, the loner with friends, sat next to him. “What did it say?” Elijah asked. “I bet it wanted a blow job.”
Lucy threw a fry at him. “She told me to tell her husband that there was no hell. It’s just a bunch of white nothing.”
“How do you know it was a she?” Trisha asked.
None of them paid attention to me. I was pulling apart my ham-and-cheese Wal-Mart sandwich, making a mountain out of Bunny Bread. We respected when someone was having a bad day and didn’t talk to them. We were all close for stupid reasons; Elijah and Lucy had seen a man get hit by a car, and Trisha lived in the same trailer park as me.
But they didn’t know my secret.
“I guess she knew,” Elijah said, “because it didn’t ask her for a blow job.” He threw a fry back at her, but it landed on my sandwich.
I flicked it away. All I could think about was how warm Nina’s hand had been, like the inside of a car after it has sat in the sun too long. So hot your lungs wither and you can’t breathe, but so comforting. I wanted to hold her hand again. I wanted to find her, but I didn’t dare look up. I wasn’t even sure I would go to her house again.
“So, did you find her husband?”
“No, she like… Well I looked around and it turns out her husband was dead too, so. Ghosts can be weird. They just don’t pass on. I tried asking her if she was in purgatory but--”
“Dude.” Lucy nudged me. “Some chick is staring at you.”
My mountain was almost an inch high, but my hand had twitched and knocked it over. “Damn it, Lucy. I was making something.”
“But this chick is staring at you. She looks weird.”
I glanced up quickly, because it didn’t matter if I saw her or not, I knew it would be Nina. Whether she knew it was me or wanted to be sure it was me, she was now walking closer to our table. I put my head back down, and pretended she wouldn’t find me.
“She’s the girl I tutor. Just some freshman.”
“She’s coming closer,” Lucy whispered.
Elijah turned around to stare. “Should I be worried?”
“Just ignore her,” I mumbled.
“Hiya, Josie!”
It was too late. She stood behind Elijah and Trisha, staring down at me with her huge eyes. Slowly, I looked up. She held a box and wore a red gingham dress. I could feel the looks my friends were giving her.
“Oh… Hey, Nina. What’s up?”
Trisha mouthed, “Double-You, Tee, Eff?”
Nina was holding the box out, like she was trying to give it to me. “Oh, nothin’. I made you somethin’ and I wasn’t sure I would find you or not and since I have youth group tonight I thought I’d look for you. Real glad I found you, then!”
She handed me the box. It was just plain, white cardboard, like the boxes grocery store birthday cakes come in.
“Thank you.” I feigned apathy for my friends, but I smiled at her nonetheless. Maybe she knit me a sweater. I didn’t care; Nina gave me a gift.
She stood there and watched me for a moment. I think she wanted me to open it with her there. I didn’t. I saw her look at Lucy, then Trisha, then Elijah. Her face lost its color.
“Well,” she began, trying not to stare at the fish hook in Elijah’s eyebrow, “I’ll be seein’ you tomorrow. You can still tutor me, cantcha?”
“Yeah, I don’t have anything else to do.”
She smiled weakly, waved, then walked away.
Lucy leaned over and whispered, “Open it!”
“Bet it’s a dead animal.” Elijah poked the box.
I slipped my finger under the lid, and lifted. I practically heard Lucy’s jaw hit the floor.
Elija leaned over the table, “What is it?”
“They’re just cookies,” I replied, trying to close the lid before he could see.
“Just cookies!” Lucy screamed.
Trisha took the box from me. “She gave you Jesus Cookies!”
White frosting covered the cookies, and “Jesus Luvs U!” was written in pink frosting. I snatched the box back and closed it again.
“Oh my Devil,” Lucy whispered. “Who is she?”
Elijah tried to take the box from me, but I swatted his hand. “She’s just my tutor.”
“Is she like…” Gina waved her hand and tried to find the right words. “…one of those Christians who bomb abortion clinics and sacrifice goats and dunk people under water to initiate them into their cult?” While speaking, she too tried to take the box. I pulled it closer to me, then put it on the floor beneath my feet.
“It’s called baptism, and no, she’s just a little weird.”
“Honey,” Elijah started, “A little weird doesn’t begin to cover the fact that she made Jesus Cookies for you.”
I stared at my pile of Bunny Bread crumbs. It had been flicked all over the place and squashed into the table. I swept it onto the floor with my hand and ignored him.
They were silent.
When I looked up, they were all staring at me.
“What?”
Elijah made puppy-dog eyes. “So, what are you going to do with the cookies?”
I gently kicked the box at my feet to be sure it was still there. “Not give them to you, that’s for sure.”
Lucy leaned over and smiled at me. “Aw, come on, Josie. It’s not like you’re going to eat them, right?”
Trisha was silent for a moment more, then said. “I still can’t believe she gave you Jesus Cookies.”
My eyes wandered over the small, lunch-room crowd. I found Nina standing by the vending machines. She had a tiny smile, but it wasn’t directed at me. I could see the way her lips curled, and it was beautiful. My heart shriveled in my chest because I knew I couldn’t have her.
“I think I’m going to feed them to the rats under my trailer.”
She kept smiling at something else, always smiling. She smiled like you would expect God to smile down on earth and all its happy creatures, ignoring the sin, because He could drown what He didn’t like in a Great Flood. Everything made her happy. I wanted to know if she ever cried, but I knew there was no reason for her to cry because she had God.
There were too many reasons for me to cry. Would there be less reason to cry if I had Nina? Maybe she could drown me in her Great Flood.
I didn’t feed the cookies to the rats under my trailer.
For the next few weeks, I hide the box in my closet. Slowly, I ate all of them. I didn’t even like cookies, but she made them for me. I don’t think she understood what she meant by them, or maybe she did. I pretended she did, because anything else was too depressing.
I touched her hand. I stroked her knuckle. But Jesus still loved me. Maybe she loved me, too.
Last edited by Emerson on Tue Jun 10, 2008 4:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
“It's necessary to have wished for death in order to know how good it is to live.”
― Alexandre Dumas, The Count of Monte Cristo

672 Reviews

Reviews: 672
Thu May 29, 2008 3:28 am
Squall says...

Hello Suzanne.

Trisha took the box from me. “She gave you Jesus Cookies!”

Haha.

She kept smiling at something else, always smiling. She smiled like you would expect God to smile down on earth and all its happy creatures, ignoring the sin, because He could drown what He didn’t like in a Great Flood. Everything made her happy. I wanted to know if she ever cried, but I knew there was no reason for her to cry because she had God.

I like this metaphor. It gives us a stronger impression that Nina seems like a goddess to since Josie loves her in an innocent kind of sense.

Overall impressions:

This part builds up from the last quite nicely. I really liked the great flood metaphor. It gave me the impression that Nina was like a goddess to Josie (backed up with the imagery in the last part as well as her innocent nature). Since Josie admits to herself back in part 2 that she is a sinner (reinforced by some of her back story, it seems really appropriate for a comparison to the great flood.

I also think that you were also creating the idea of people's tears being much like the Great Flood, as when a person normally cries, they are releasing their emotions out. If another person sees someone crying (releasing the "Great Flood" often they would feel some kind of sympathy and prehaps change their actions or ways to comfort someone or to retify themselves for their sins which caused someone to cry. I think that's really clever, so kudos to you on that.

This part also shows more of Lucy and her gang and how there is external conflict between them and Nina due to different beliefs. Josie also has internal conflict, as she is unsure of whether or not she is comfortable with the idea of liking Nina since others treat her differently.

One thing I think you can focus on is Josie's mathematical skills. I think the plot should also involve that more to characterize her more and make some links between religion and math.

But I have a feeling that Josie's mathematical skills will play a bigger role in the plot later on. Fingers crossed.

Keep going! I want more.

Andy.
"To the edge of the universe and back. Endure and survive."

713 Reviews

Reviews: 713
Thu May 29, 2008 3:40 am
BigBadBear says...

No. No. This... this can't end here. Suz, please, you have to post more! Once I read the first one, I didn't even bother critiqing because I needed to find out what happened.

And now I read them all until this. Wow. I am amazed. This is probably the most... uh... real story ever. I don't know how to explain it. Suz, you have a way with words. You are very talented, and just quite amazing.

Someone stated in an earlier critique that Nina goes a little overboard with God things, and I have to agree. Although, the Jesus cookies were fantastic, in chapter two she went a little overboard. Just limit yourself down a bit.

Haha. I love how Nina says, 'Warsh.' That's how my grandpa says it. Haha.

Anyway, fantabulous. It was really unique, perfect and brilliant. Please, oh please, PM me when you post more.

I am hooked.

-Jared
Just write -- the rest of life will follow.

Would love help on this.

387 Reviews

Reviews: 387
Fri May 30, 2008 10:28 pm
Kylan says...

Ooh. By far, the best chapter yet.

I enjoyed this very much. The dialogue is probably what made it for me. Very real, very funny, very idiosyncratic. Reading all these brilliant lines was like eating a cookie. A Jesus cookie. :wink:

Really, I don't have much to comment on. Superb. In the last two chapters the talking has only been between Nina and Josie and that needling hick accent has been riding under my feet like shards of glass. Finally, you unleash Suzanne at her zenith. I enjoyed myself completely.

Her friends are...different, to say the least.

“Oh my Devil,” Lucy whispered

Eh. I laughed at this, it was funny, but it seemed...unrealistic. A tad over-the-top. People are wierd, people may worship the devil, but that was a bit much. Consider changing this. If you choose not to, it won't kill the story. Also, I don't see how this was rated R due to the language. Was it for referencing a blow job? Because that really doesn't warrant a restricted tag.

Anyway, as I said, not much to critique. Just praise, really. Keep up the good work. And PM me when you post new chapters, will you? I almost skipped over this.

-Kylan
"I am beginning to despair
and can see only two choices:
either go crazy or turn holy."

- Serenade, Adélia Prado

145 Reviews

Reviews: 145
Sat May 31, 2008 9:28 am
deleted2 says...

Heya

Here I am again, commenting on your work :D 3rd review in two days haha

:wink:

Continue this story, its wonderful! You have a really mature writing voice shining through your work that makes it really enjoyable to read.

See you in chat/msn

Xxx Do
Attachments
Edit 3 by XxxDo for Suzanne.doc
:D
(35.5 KiB) Downloaded 43 times

721 Reviews

Reviews: 721
Tue Jun 03, 2008 5:07 pm
Azila says...

Hi Suzanne! I'm back for more of your addictive writing! :D

Elijah, the mourning of nothing, sat across from us, and Trisha, the loner with friends, sat next to him.
Shouldn't that be "mourner?"

We were all close for stupid reasons; Elijah and Lucy had seen a man get hit by a car, and Trisha lived in the same trailer park as me.
This seems like really out-of-place information. It seems like you just wanted to fit that in, so you stuck it here.

She held a box and wore a red gingham dress. I could feel the looks my friends were giving her.
First sentence>> Elaborate! Please? Pretty please? I want to know more about Nina. Second sentence>> The italics on the word "feel" are messed up; the "l" isn't italic. Nitpicky, I know, but I thought I'd point it out anyway.

Maybe she knit me a sweater.
This is really out-of-place, as well. I think you should give more examples.

“Oh my Devil,” Lucy whispered.
Haha! Yes, it's over-the-top... but that's the point, isn't it?

“She’s just my tutor.”
This confuses me. Josie is Nina's tutor... but here you're saying the opposite. Maybe people actually say that? I'm not sure.

“…one of those Christians who bomb abortion clinics and sacrifice goats and dunk people under water to initiate them into their cult?”
The bold part is just brilliant. Had me laughing out loud, almost.

Well, I'm not so sure this chapter lives up to all the rest. The symbolism, the characters, all is just as good. But I do have a few complaints:

1) Description! I think you have less and less description as you go on, because you get too into the plot and too eager to keep writing. The first chapter had gorgeous imagery... the second was alright. This one? Not so much. Looking through this chapter, there really isn't much imagery/descriptions to speak of. I know that it's all about internal struggle at this point of the story, but we need some external stuff too. :P

2) Emotion. In the past parts I have adored the way you show emotion. But In this one it's just ... let's say ... not as good as the others. I understand that even Josie is having trouble figuring out what she's feeling -- but I still want to understand more about what she's going through internally. I understand the mechanics of it (She likes Nina, but doesn't want others to know... etc) but I don't really sympathize with her, because I don't understand how she feels. I'm not sure how you can fix this... maybe part of the problem is that the way she's acting is pretty generic for somebody in her place -- it's like part of how people would act. The other part would differ with each personality. So try to think how your character, Josie, would act, maybe? I don't know, I'm just trying to provide some food for thought.

Actually, why not try combining the two problems I've listed? Try doing biased description. Like how her mind filters what she sees. A great way to do this, I've found, is with metaphors. Saying something like "The humid heat of the room clogged my throat like warm water. I felt like I was drowning." Is sooo different from saying "The warm, moist air swirled around my body, flooding my thoughts with a smooth, relaxed feeling." Even I was describing the same thing both times (and even using the same analogy to water) you get a completely different feeling for how the main character feels. (Yeah -- I know that was a lame example, but I didn't really put much effort into it, lol).

Also, I really don't think you needed to rate it like you did. it makes me feel guilty for reading something I "shouldn't." :( And besides, the language wasn't that bad! I think PG-13 would be fine... but it's up to you, of course. ^_^

PM me as usual with comments/questions.

Hope this helps!
~Azila~

798 Reviews

Reviews: 798
Tue Jun 10, 2008 4:26 am
Areida says...

Goodliness:

"loner with friends"

Oh-so-true. I love how much this reeks of real life. Oftentimes that's difficult, to write so honestly, even painful, depending on who you are and what your situation is, but you're doing so well. Kudos.

“Oh my Devil,” Lucy whispered. “Who is she?”

Wow, that Lucy is something else, isn't she?

This is such a sad piece, in so many ways.

Obviously, you have these great, funny moments, especially with the friends and some of Josie's inner dialogue, but this stage of life is so strange and painful and confusing, and while it's hard to watch, you can't look away. The confusion about God, about social interaction, about sex, about parents, about math, of all things - just life in general. These pieces have all been so readable... I'm really impressed, Suz.

I mean, I won't lie and say the whole lesbian aspect doesn't creep me out, but I love that you're honest, often blunt, without being overly graphic or gross. So I'm sticking with you. Don't let me down, okay? ;)

Another great addition to your tale. You've still got me hooked.

SEVERAL MINUTES LATER AS I AM FINALLY GETTING TO POST THIS BECAUSE YWS LIVES ONCE MORE:

I'm not sure about the R rating...? PG13, maybe, for the blow job discussion, perhaps some of the content when they're making fun of her churchgoing ways. I didn't see anything that made an R necessary, though.
Got YWS?

"Most of us have far more courage than we ever dreamed we possessed."
- Dale Carnegie

1464 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 1464
Fri Jun 13, 2008 8:51 pm
View Likes
JabberHut says...

Suz!

Grammar and First Impressions

Tuesday. Nina had youth group.

Awesome-possum, right there.

“Oh, nothin’. I made you somethin’ and I wasn’t sure I would find you or not, and since I have youth group tonight, I thought I’d look for you.

“She’s just my tutor.”

I thought Josie was the tutor? :lol:

“Is she like…” Gina waved her hand and tried to find the right words. “…one of those Christians who bomb abortion clinics and sacrifice goats and dunk people under water to initiate them into their cult?”

Lol, this was funny.

“Honey,” Elijah started, “[s]A[/s] a little weird doesn’t begin to cover the fact that she made Jesus Cookies for you.”

For the next few weeks, I hide the box in my closet.

Hide: To conceal from sight
Hid: Past tense of hide. :P

I don’t think she understood what she meant by them, or maybe she did.

Maybe the sudden switch in tenses was on purpose? :?

Characters

We've been introduced to Josie's clique. I kind of got Lucy and Trisha mixed up, but in the end, I think I got them straight . Lucy's the over-the-top (as Azila had said) one, but their reactions were funny after Nina arrived. I do think you should emphasize the black they wear because Nina did earlier. It would be nice to tie the loose ends on this tiny fact. In fact, does Josie wear black too? I don't think you've ever mentioned this or not.

Josie knew about baptism. I suppose that's a sign of her smartness, seeing as she knows math too. ^^ Nina's courage is amazing. From the clique's reaction, I don't think they get visitors too often. This was nice right here.

Overall

I was able to draw parallel between the title and the story. I'm kind of proud of myself for figuring this out. I usually am when it comes to figuring out meanings. xD This was awesome, though. :D Onward we march!

Keep writing!

Jabber, the One and Only!
I make my own policies.

438 Reviews

Reviews: 438
Tue Jun 17, 2008 6:03 pm
JFW1415 says...

Nit-Picks

Lucy, the devil worshiper, was sitting next to me. “So, I was at the graveyard last night,” like almost all her stories started, “and this thing, it was like a total spirit thing, I swear, it came out of the ground and like… it talked to me.”

Heehee, sounds melodramatic there. :) The 'like almost all her stories started' isn't quite right. You need a 'she said,' different punctuation, something.

Elijah, the mourning of nothing, sat across from us, and Trisha, the loner with friends, sat next to him.

Mourning? Do you mean mourner?

We were all close for stupid reasons; Elijah and Lucy had seen a man get hit by a car, and Trisha lived in the same trailer park as me.

So how are the two couples close?

“I guess she knew,” Elijah said, “because it didn’t ask her for a blow job.” He threw a fry back at her, but it landed on my sandwich.

Oh, so it's a guy – show us sooner.

My mountain was almost an inch high, but my hand had twitched and knocked it over. “Damn it, Lucy. I was making something.”

Wait – mountain of what?

“Yeah, I don’t have anything else to do.”

I'd prefer a full stop over the comma.

Elijah tried to take the box from me, but I swatted his hand. “She’s just my tutor.”

No she's not. :)

Trisha was silent for a moment more, then said,[s].[/s] “I still can’t believe she gave you Jesus Cookies.”

She smiled like you would expect God to smile down on [s]e[/s]Earth and all its happy creatures, ignoring the sin, because He could drown what He didn’t like in a Great Flood.

Earth: the planet.
earth: the ground, or dirt.

I didn’t feed the cookies to the rats under my trailer.

Too sudden a time jump, but amazing. Just add a little transitioner.

Overall Comments

*Glee* I was right about the title!

Anyways, still amazingly perfect. Just work on the atmosphere a bit more. She's in a cafe - what's it like? Loud? Does she feel like everyone's staring at her, or that none notice her? Is it crowded? Just give us the basics, and we'll fill in the details.

Off to part four. Sorry I'm so unhelpful. :)

~JFW1415/Jelly

*gestures in butterfly meme*
— BluesClues